Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 vs. Acura TL

Comments

• Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    you're obviously looking at the G thru rose-coloured glasses. It don't matter what others tell you. I'm not going to waste time raining on your parade. Go ahead, just enjoy and pretend you're driving the best thing this side of an M5 with it's luxurious interior and that HIGH TECH ALUMINUM (you sure it's not titanium?) hood prop!
    I guess if they had used hood struts that would have increased understeer, eh?! Oh, btw, you were asking if the interior is not lux and not sport, then what is it? It's spelled C H E A P.
  • Options
    Really? Your mechanic doesn't have open the hood to change the O2 sensors and the ignition coils every other month? And Honda manual AND auto trannies outperform Nissan's any day.
  • Options
    danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    people need facts or number just to show that this one is the big boy and others are not. Can anybody describe in number about balanced driving not just weight numbers? such as because its more balanced so the car can reach 67.5 mph in slalom test. Or 'It FEELS big to me but I dont know why it cant reach 67.5 mph' or 'The car is the best of all but I dont know why more people buy TL(more expensive) than this car"

They are all a matter of opinion, no numbers or stats to back it up. I cant argue with anybody's opinions.

Is there any drivability issue for any car such as winter driving, 0-60, slalom, top speed, today's road condition straight or curve. What drivability issue are we talking about? no number I guess.

TL has TCS and VSA that help to eliminate those feeling thats why people dont feel that way as much as it used to. Otherwise how TL manage to reach 67.5 mph slalom test while others cant.

Every article that you saw always pick G35 over any car, never rank TL#1 over 330i(2) and lower for G35?, are you sure?. Cuz they consider a bunch of other factors than just a 'tail-out sensation'. Do you remember one mag said "G35 suffers from excessive oversteer which makes handling tricky at the limit"
  • Options
    kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    ...if you're one of the Dukes of Hazzard but for normal, daily driving, it doesn't make much sense.
  • Options
    chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    This is fun isn't it?

Let's remember the very reason I got on my G horse is to let the guy who thought the TL was now the benchmark know that he has some serious misgivings. The G may not be the benchmark even but the TL is certainly not either.

As far as 911 comparisons = like it or not the headlight stack is similar in function and design if no appearance - the genetics of the car are well documented and revealed - better than looking like a Bonneville.

The G trumped the 330 in handling, most speed measurements and tbe 330 was the bencmark and arguably still can be.

So whoever said the TL trumps the G or the 3 is really misguided as much as my rosy colered zealousness allows me to be so optimistic that my car is better than a TL. There is only one stat that suggests its as competent and that is slalom times.

COME ON. 0-100, 0-top speed, skidpad and many other qualitative measures of performance to go before G is trumped. 0-60 the TL may be faster but no way to 100 or quarter. The 59 mph someone quoted for G slalom is on a wet track for sure since my integra could do that. The numbers I've seen are 66 or so.

Now the car is great - we are splitting hairs when we argue and hopefully having fun at it but the TL over the G or 3 for becnhmark while it may come out in the numbers WHEN A COMP IS ACTUALLY DONE - has yet to be proven and one stat to hang a hat on does not a benchmark make!
  • Options
    Those of you afraid of oversteer - it's ok. It's not for everyone
  • Options
    raherraher Member Posts: 99
    "...And, like the previous TLs, the all new 2004 edition proves to be a bargain, especially with all its added perks and performance. The base price for both the automatic and manual is $33,195. With the added NAV system the price jumps to $35,195.
    The first generation TL was the car that saved the Acura franchise by offering more luxury and performance sedan for the money than any rival. With new glitz and glam, we feel that the even more capable 2004 Acura TL will not only add many more converts to Honda's premium brand, but it raises the bar competitors must leap to ear-bleeding heights."

Evidently the list of "uninformed" magazine opinions of the TL is growing by the day or should I say by the test ! The uninformed consumers buying the TL at a record setting pace are also obviously uninformed. Don't they know the car is FWD and doesn't have perfect balance for the drivers who will never ever get to the point of using that perfect balance. That's what racetracks are for and I doubt anyone on this board is going to push their $35K plus new car to the limit of possibly throwing it away in a corner on some twisty public road. Where oh where is all this performance driving and take it to the limit handeling taking place ?
    Thou doth protest too much G35 and 3 series owners. Sounds like whistling in the dark to me.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It is true that in one comparo the G35 had a very good stopping distance. But that is where it ends. If you read all the comparos, most of them the overall performance numbers of the G taking everything into consideration, fall in the middle of the pack. You can't point to one comparo and exclaim: "the G is the king of braking". It isn't so. Read CRs performance numbers vs. the competitors for example. Look at edmunds performance numbers. 0 to top speed really isn't indicative of a cars overall handling.

While it is true the G does post good numbers, it is not a Ferrari or an M5 or an M3. If you average out every number in every comparo, the G will be smack in the middle.

As for CRs number on the TL, it was one test made at the Connecticut facility. Emergency handling speed however falls short of the competition. I would prefer to have a car that went through cones slower than the competition, but had a higher speed of emergency maneuvers.
  • Options
    "Those of you afraid of oversteer - it's ok"

I can't say if anyone is "afraid", but the question begging to be asked is "WHAT FOR", unless you're some acne-faced high school kid trying to impress some girl that you've got the hots for? It's a tad immature for a grown man to be power-sliding on city streets, don't you think? I mean, who are you trying to impress?
  • Options
    "power-sliding on city streets"

Not to mention dangerous and opening yourself up for a ticket.
  • Options
    kd and I agreeing on something...I think...sort of...
  • Options
    Time to shut down the thread, I think. :)
  • Options
    or else Jennie Phipps, er, I mean patHOST, would miss all the fun of breaking up squabbles and insult-fests!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    oh you are a riot, now, aren't you. :)

back to the topic now?
  • Options
    Well, I can't say that I'm surprised. In one of my earlier posts about four months ago, I wrote this message to an anti-TL poster:

...which doesn't explain your logic. When the professional reviews about the '04 TL come out in the weeks to come, you'll be eating your words. The new TL is totally redesigned and...

Guess I was right!
  • Options
    London bridge is falling down, falling down falling down....

Kahunah, do you believe that before buying this TL, 90% of my research was about other car not the new TL.

This is just great. TL is the best SPORT sedan by motorweek.
  • Options
    "London bridge is falling down, falling down falling down"

Front wheel drive is the reason the TL was excluded from the last comparo, in which the G35 won. Magazines will never agree. So now the TL is at zero. CD -1, MW +1. Considering CD doesn't even see it as a serious sports sedan. I agree, it's a very good sporty sedan.
  • Options
    bobb2111bobb2111 Member Posts: 7
    When comparing cars the final decision comes from the gut. How does it make ME feel? The G35 Coupe MT6 makes me feel good! The TL is OK. It's just driving another car. That's how I made my decision before I bought the G35. These little differences in accellaration, braking, turning, etc... So what! They're all good. I tried Masda, Nisson, BMW, Lexus, Acura & others. None had an offering that, in my mind, gave me the satisfaction that I feel when driving my G35.
  • Options
    WRONG!

"Motoring 2004" (Canadian version of MotorWeek) Car of the Year poll results revealed the TL as the best SPORTS SEDAN.

http://www.motoringtv.com/caroftheyear.html
  • Options
    It is a sporty sedan, lol. CD wouldn't even include it in it's comparo. Motorweek can make all the proclamations it wants. Like Janet Jackson denying the public was upset about IT.
  • Options
    Now we have more than 1 opinion that makes TL on top, Consumer report (non-bias), Motorweek, Motoring TV 2004. The car has only been around for 4 months and many of them haven't tested it yet.

Sorry that is what they wrote. Dont kill me pleeaaasse, it was an accident whuaaaa
  • Options
    It is a sporty sedan, lol. CD wouldn't even include it in it's comparo

Must be a different CD I just saw at the store. The $30K sports sedan comparo was in the CD issue on the news stand. G35#1, 325i #2 and TL#3.
    I didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't read the article. the only lol here is even including the 325i in the comparison. 330i, absolutely but 325i..pleaaaaase! Giving away 80hp to the others is more than any car is going to make up in that vaunted RWD handling argument. You would certainly have plenty of time to dwell on your RWD handling because you would be so far off the back you would be all alone in the corners. I guess the 325i was in it because it costs as much as the others and CD felt obliged to pay their advertiser with a nice review. That is the only logic I can come up with because the 325i is off the back in any comparison with the new sports sedans...it makes me lol.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Hmm, why didn't they include the Volvo S60 T5 in the C/D comparo?
  • Options
    They may have included the Volvo...it was a 10 car comparison and I remember the A4 being in there.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Haven't read it all yet but the TL finshed 3rd because of the weaknesses they listed: it should be rear wheel drive and they also whined about the steering.

Yeah why didn't they include the S60 in there and the Caddy CTs as well? Those cars should have been in there.

The TL finshed 3rd to the 3 Series and G35 so its not like the TL is a bad car. The TL did beat the Audi and the Lexus.
  • Options
    " can't say if anyone is "afraid", but the question begging to be asked is "WHAT FOR", unless you're some acne-faced high school kid trying to impress some girl that you've got the hots for? It's a tad immature for a grown man to be power-sliding on city streets, don't you think? I mean, who are you trying to impress? "

"That's what racetracks are for and I doubt anyone on this board is going to push their $35K plus new car to the limit of possibly throwing it away in a corner on some twisty public road. Where oh where is all this performance driving and take it to the limit handeling taking place ?
    "

This sums up our differences - I wake up in the middle of the night and go for coffee runs up the blue route and push the car to the limits of traction whenever it's not snowing. I take the train to work so most of the driving I do is pushing that car hard as a mother. I dont want some cushy intagible laden softy special that my dad will enjoy. I want to hear my motor sream through 3rd with the radio off and no one around for miles and make freakin love to my car!

I push my tires to thier limit and overteer every week. We have different needs folks. I paid a little more and avoided a passat or 325 so I could actually have a car to push HARD. The latter examples are not capable in context of the demands I put on a car. While the TL would probably handle most of what I need, the fact is I wouldn't even bother unless I can push the car throught the apex the way god intended it.

If you haven't familiarized yourself with your car's traction limits and held the car at that limit for a couple secs and played with the throttle and experienced the "edge"...then may I ask why you bother paying 35k for a car???

When I'm done doing some other money absorbing adventures and ventures I'll be explaining to my future x wife why I spent 35 k MORE next time I buy a car and it will perform even better and I will push it even harder. I see where you are coming from and I believe you will find a TL just fine for your needs. It really is a great car.
  • Options
    I'm starting to worry about you, man. Seriously. Get up in the middle of the night to go for a coffee run?? In the middle of the night? Nothing short of a house fire is going to get out of my bed in the middle of the night! And you say you spend $35K for a car just so you can take it to the "edge"? What do you do for an encore when you spend $70K?

You talk like you got a chip on your shoulder the size of Manhattan. You gotta chill, or else you're gonna end up killing yourself doing something to prove something to no one in particular.
  • Options
    I get that way occasionally but I usually just end up making myself a cup of instant decaf and log on edmunds. Never thought about making a late night run with the TL. Maybe I'll try it one night, when the air is warmer and the roads are drier.
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Interestingly, the G35 wasn't included in the test.
  • Options
    just asking..
  • Options
    or upscale sporty sedan?
  • Options
    "I'm starting to worry about you, man. Seriously. Get up in the middle of the night to go for a coffee run?? In the middle of the night? Nothing short of a house fire is going to get out of my bed in the middle of the night! And you say you spend $35K for a car just so you can take it to the "edge"? What do you do for an encore when you spend $70K?"

I'm not as crazy as I sound - really. I've should have been committed in the late 80's but now a hard right turn to get on the highway with noone in sight while spilling cofee all over my leg at 60 is just routine and harmless and letting loose.

At these ridiculous hours it's much safer for the rest of the sleeping driving public. Having driven well made cars for much of my life (even if they weren't mine most of the time) I can enjoy most cars limits and find the solace of the open and EMPTY road to be thrilling and enjoyable.

As far as the late 80's, I will never let my son (should I have one) drive by himself until he's 25 after some of the things I should have never lived through...flipped a pontiac all alone on the road at 17, drove a supra turbo on Roswell Road at triple digit speeds - trying to sell it no less!, I'm sure we've all been stupid but someone should have had a talk with me about 15 years ago.

Now I am so gentle while driving all OTHER times that my girlfriend yells at me for going to slow and for the long distances I gap in front of me on the highway. The 70k car will prob be a 545 or a GTR in 2007...or a PRUIS - we'll see!
  • Options
    The real trouble with actually exploring the outer limits of your car and the adhesion of the tires on the car is that you can really only discover the limit when you have exceeded the limit. That gets back to my original comment of risking throwing away your $35K sedan some night on the way to putting more caffeine in your body at some early morning or late night hour.
    The major problem with doing it on public roads, no matter what time you are out, is that sooner or later ( murphy's law ) the unexpected occurs and then there is usually a price to be paid. I don't like to preach to anyone about driving fast because I love it myself. I anticipate many people in this forum do or they wouldn't be buying the automobiles we are discussing here. The best place to really explore your limits and your car's limits is obviously the racetrack. I used to rent track time to take my 750CC motorcycle out and really find out who I was and what my bike was really capable of. Everyone is going the same direction and you can be assured no one is going to blow a light at an intersection or cross the center line.
    Every time I get the urge to do what you are doing I ask myself what it would be like if a police officer came to my door to tell me some guy racing his car killed my wife because he lost control. The reason they lost control wouldn't really matter to me. It always makes me turn up the stereo, open the sunroof when I can and think it's a great life and I have a great wife.
    Be careful out there and maybe look for a racetrack to rent some time on. Driving fast is certainly a thrill and a major adrenaline rush.
    Like most other rushes however, it can cloud good judgment at times.
  • Options
    I agree with raher, please consider other people, who happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The unexpected does happen from time to time. Imagine if it's your girlfriend / wife / kids who happen to be in that road. Or maybe someone who had a flat tire and left the vehicle to find the nearest phonebooth by walking.

Good number or stats in real life dont guarantee a thing. Sorry if it sounds like preaching but people can easily destroy life while they cant create one.

I used to race on the street and sometime betting on it. But things changed after I picked up my friend's dying body and heard a cracking noice out of his bone. That was back in 89 and it took me a while to forget it. I was in second while he was in third, thats when he crashed into a cab.
  • Options
    Whoa - right as you are - I'm not crazy enough to put the car at risk - period - I am very deliberate and I learned the limits so I can keep the car short of them. Anybody can roll around the 270 ramp onto the highway and take it too far without killing themselves with the understeer afforded the car. In 40 minutes of driving at that hour you get about 2 minutes of fun with handling - and if you take it too far you kill some grass. I must be a woos cuz I have't lost the rear yet.
  • Options
    Now I understand. There is definitely a difference between spirited driving done by enthusiasts and someone just out there jamming the pedal to the floor with no regard for consequences. Your initial post led me to believe you might be the latter but your last post makes me believe you just like to drive and would rather be in your car than a lot of other places when there is some time available.
    Sorry for the preaching but I think both danny1878 and myself misinterpreted your original post. Remember...rubber side down !
  • Options
    jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    you're not seiously comparing those cars? and G35 is RWD...TL is FWD...of course TL is reliable in all season. with 270 hp for...what? and of course G35 performs better with RWD and 280hp for what? you gonna out perform WRX sti or evo with those kind of cars?? There are cars better performed better equipped than those two. If u want luxury sporties then get BMW 325i, if you want performance sporties then get evos. with the same car segment and similar price range of in between $30k
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    "Most of them can't stop as fast as the G - I belive one Ferrari can and one Lambo can. I may never have this competent a set of brakes on any car ever again...they are undisputedly the best in the business for cars < $150,000 as any owner having experienced them in panic stops can attest."

So you mean to tell me you've driven all the Italian exotics to know this compared the G35? You'll have to back that "better than anytying under 150K" statement up names and braking numbers.

M
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Drove several cars today. Drove TL first and G35 next to last. G35 and TL (both auto) felt quick enough. TL quieter and less wind noise. Nav system two generations better than the G35. TL rode better too. Better deal on GS. TL has warm interior compared to GS. Both have partial power seat for passenger (no up and down).
  • Options
    "So you mean to tell me you've driven all the Italian exotics to know this compared the G35? You'll have to back that "better than anytying under 150K" statement up names and braking numbers. "

I've driven some great cars but I leave it to the experts for all conclusive comparisons...

From Car and Driver>>>>

"Moreover, when equipped with the manual, the G35 sedan comes standard with the sport-tuned suspension package&#151;more aggressive damping and W-rated 215/55R-17 Goodyear Eagle GS-D summer tires&#151;resulting in a car that handles and brakes right with the coupes. On the skidpad, the sedan, at 0.87 g, fell slightly behind the Z Track at 0.88 g and the G35 coupe's best at 0.90, but it managed to top the 330i (0.86). And keep in mind that those three cars ride on bigger 18-inch wheels and tires. Despite wearing the skinniest rubber, the G35 still shorted them all, posting a distance of 153 feet from 70 to 0 mph. That's less than the pavement needed by the Z (164), G35 coupe (157), 330i (158), and even the Lamborghini Murciélago (155) and the Saleen S7 (156). Perhaps Nissan had some leftover brakes from the R390 GT1 supercar. "Hey, Taka, what should we do with these fancy brakes?""

There are some complaining about the brakes for early wear but the warranty came out and made that a hassle free issue. I've driven some much more expensive v8's and german sports cars that never had this kind of stopping power...they are simply unbelievable. Test drive it again if you dont buy it...
  • Options
    From MotorWeek - 2004 TL Road Test:

"Braking performance is top-notch, too, with 60-to-0 stops averaging a short, neat 115 feet. Our drivers were very impressed with our 6-speed's all-disc ABS brakes with Brembo front calipers. Results are comparable to some recent Porsche's we've tested."
  • Options
    dfd3dfd3 Member Posts: 57
    Howdy, Folks (well, I AM from Texas!)

Current owner of a 6MT G35 sedan. Was at our auto show last Friday and had my first chance to see and sit in the 2004 TL. Of course, I did not drive it. My impressions:

I am not really a fan of the car's exterior. The interior, however, is very nice. Very well executed and put together. Is it better than the G's? I don't really know, I am of the opinion that these things are very objective. I can tell you that my impression is that the rear seat/foot room is smaller than the G's, something that is important to me in light of the fact that we have two car seats back there. I am sure that the car performs very well and do not wish to reopen the debate. Will it have some first-year gremlins? Probably. Did the G? You bet. I guess my point here is that I don't understand all the bickering back and forth regarding these two cars (or any other two, three, four, etc. cars for that matter). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should ultimately buy what they want. Would I trade my G for the TL? Probably not, but then again, I have not driven it. But you must admit that Acura/Honda makes some good cars. As has been pointed out in the past, it's great for the consumer to have so many choices in this segment. It was not that long ago that we had very few. All car manufacturers are pushing other manufacturers and it is we, the consumer, that benefits. Good grief, Cadillac is dropping the Corvette Z06 V8 into the CTS! It's a good time to be a sports sedan buyer! (Yes, I know the CTS-V is on another price plane. I am just amazed at the horsepower wars.)
  • Options
    Here's the topper:

Cadillac Sixteen - with its 13.6L XV16 engine puts out a mind-blowing 1,000 horsepower and 1,000 lbs.-ft. of torque.

Where does it end?
  • Options
    It ends as soon as the car is bigger than my bedroom...When it gets bigger than a 5 series it's too big for that perfect sports sedan image in my head. At 400-500 hp we'll have way too much power in a normal size sedan like a CTS-V.

Given the choice of a CTS-V and a 16 - I'd drive the CTS-V and never look back. Moving houses are cool if you are Trump and I'm no Trump.
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    It was just an Engineering and styling excercise for Cadillac. Also, that vehicle would be HUGE!!!!!!!!!! (size wise)
  • Options
    ...for the wealthy elite, so don't be surprised if there's a change of heart at Cadillac to build a Sixteen afterall.
  • Options
    What does the Sixteen denote? The number of anticipated recalls?
  • Options
    That's 62.5 hp a cylinder.
This discussion has been closed.