Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 vs. Acura TL

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey folks - we're getting a little too far afield of our topic which is the G35 and the TL. Near Luxury Performance Sedans is an option for some of this conversation and if that doesn't fit, feel free to create a new discussion here on the Sedans Comparisons board.
  • Options
    kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    ...how far can Acura take the TL with the current FWD platform? Is the 300hp A-Spec the limit? Will Infiniti play catch up on the hp scale for the G35 or just settle for higher torque? It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to these two models in the next few of years. Perhaps the momentum in the rivalry between these two cars will be enough to leave the BMW 3-series in the dust, once and far all.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Ok, thats impressive, but I still don't see anything about the G having the best brakes under 150K. I do see where on that day it outstopped some very impressive machinery by a few feet, hardly up to the "better than anything under 150K" rhetoric. However you're overboard with your comments on this car, most of the time. I see but one Italian exotic listed there, not all or even a many you like orginally claimed. I've driven the G35 a many times, mainly the Coupe, but I did try the sedan also, and the car is impressive, but if someone were to just read your posts, they'd think the G35 is the end-all of the sports sedan market and it isn't.

In that same comparo, they clearly state the 330i would have won, if it had been entered.

M
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    They also say that the 330i wasn't entered because it's too pricy. At a 20% premium, you would hope that it would win.
  • Options
    chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    "but if someone were to just read your posts, they'd think the G35 is the end-all of the sports sedan market and it isn't. "

No it's the best sports sedan ever in the 25-35k range for its size - perhaps the evo or something could upset that but I forget whether it fits into that class.

A 5 series is prob the best sedan ever or a CTS-V now but the main thrust in my latest arguments are against the notion that the Acura TL is suddenly king of the sedans. While throwing some loose referencing to the brakes, I wonder if in any mag comparo with all the cars #'s in one place there would be less than 2 cars <150k that have better stopping dsitances...unless its the C&D one where they got 128 feet from 60 with a G. I may seem passionate it's probly because they saved me from a crazy town car driver who turned left in front of me from the right lane. From 50 or so the car seemed to take about 30 feet to stop - - I had about 31 feet before disaster so it worked out well.

Several editors have also noticed and been very passionate in theier descriptions of the brakes. Comments like the ones I quoted from one above are pretty over the top too...there's a pretty substantial reason imo..
  • Options
    Well that isn't my debate, the TL vs the G35. I'll leave that to the rest of the board. To me personally I don't think the TL is a better "sports" sedan than the G35, but as a fwd intender it's a darn good car. It also scores major points with me for it's interior, compared to the G35.

There are plenty of "passionate" references about lots of different cars, concerning their brakes. The G35 isn't the first to get that type of praise.

My vote for best sports sedan ever would be the M5, hands down. The CTS-V, while offering basically the same performance for less, still doesn't beat the M5 in build or overall. The next M5 will end any such comparisions.

M
  • Options
    The next m5 will cost close to 100k...and how much better will it perform than the CTS-V would you imagine? It might be better be it shouldbe awfully better. For 100k it's Ford GT 40 time. well 140k i guess.

When I can get my hands on the Shelby Cobra I'll be off the sedan boards altogether. Whats up with ford man?
  • Options
    Lets see if the automatic trans, 469hp E55 AMG can do 60 mph in 4.2 secs I expect a 510hp (current rumored estimate) SMG trans M5 to do it at least 3.9 secs, most likely about 3.7 seconds. 100K? I'm not sure. But I guess we all know it won't be 73K anymore huh...

Ford is on a roll no question.....lots of impressive hardware at the top-end. I just hope their more important products, F150, 500 etc do their jobs as well.

M
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    My wife's 24,000.00 Accord as a better interior than your 35K G35.

Ha Ha.

Isn't that something a family sedan with a nicer interior than a ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY SEDAN.

What a shame.
  • Options
    Yeah I would buy an accord over a TL - great cars those hondas i've had 5 of them. But to respond to your flame...I didn't want a frikkin interior...and your subjectivity is no better than mine. I donwgraded from a Passat which blows the acord interior away...and upgraded my driving experience. My dream car is Shelby cobra with no radio. Ha Ha - you'll still have a nicer interior but I'll be the one laughing then like I am now when see those bubbly accords in my rear view

If you really want to see a great interior check out an a-4. At least it performs.
  • Options
    Why bother. The A4 styling inside and out is dated and boring. At 220 hp, it doesn't perform as well as the G35 and TL. It's more expensive, reliability is below average, and the fuel economy (on the 3.0L Quattro with Tiptronic) is not nearly as good as the TL. And what's with those cup holders?
  • Options
    A-4 is possibly dated but still the the best darn interior as its so well constructed with well thought out engineering everywhere and very well built. Boring is ok if it's perfectly funtional - kinda of the opposite of the bling trend all cars seem headed for with 100 choices for interior lighting colors on some models...actually the passat has the best interior of any ever imo. Even more simple and just as refined as it's twin sibling the a-4. At least VW didn't hang your drink over the radio so you could get condensation on the cd entry area
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    "A-4 is possibly dated but still the the best darn interior as its so well constructed with well thought out engineering everywhere and very well built. "

- Would think the ES330 has a superior interior to the A4, but then again we are getting away from the "sports sedan" argument.

To sum it up between the G35 and TL
    Handling - G35
    Acceleration - TL
    Interior - TL
    Brakes - G35 (though the TL with Bremos is right there per latest C&D issue)
    Looks - subjective (even)

Price - even

Depends on what area you want.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    care for interior why bother spending 35k for a car.
    You could go get yourself a econony box for around 12k and drop another 10k on upgrades and there you go-the driving experince you long for.

If I am spending 35k, my car should look and perform like it is worth 35k.

Tell you what- drop another 10k at a custom shop on the interior and surely the G will feel like it is worth 35k
  • Options
    High tech is a hybrid. A prius has more high tech than any acura or infiniti or american car period. Bluetooth and 5.1 is all it takes to make that list - oh and some ambient lighting perhaps.

Hey the acura is great - but not offering what I want.

I like kevin's list above and agree with all but will agree to disagree on acceleration going to TL. To 60 it may win and then the G will be all over it and then some. Anyone remember the 0-100 and 1/4 mile arguments. IF you can't win the 1/4 you aren't a better accelerator in my book. And when I raced auto to auto with my buds new TL the other day he didn't get ahead by more than 1/2 car lenght and then i took him hard in 3rd and left him. Variables abounds but my 3rd gear will kill most anyone in or out of class short of a v8.
  • Options
    I don't know why people keep insisting that the TL has better acceleration than the G. Just because ONE comparo clocked the TL faster 0 to 60?

The overall spectrum of tests show that the TL and G are a virtual heat 0 to 60, and the G is a bit faster in the quartermile.
  • Options
    "care for interior why bother spending 35k for a car.
    You could go get yourself a econony box for around 12k and drop another 10k on upgrades and there you go-the driving experince you long for.
    If I am spending 35k, my car should look and perform like it is worth 35k."

I dont have a problem with my interior - other people who bought other cars do! I like it fine and when I test drove it thought it was unique and ok and then when i drove the car it all made sense. The industrial look to me is way better than bling purple everywhere. I like it fine - I had a passat interior and it was easy to walk away from all the wood and warmth as soon as you hear the VQ fire.

PS there are thousands of us G owners who believe we got a great looking car and we know who performs best.

AS far as the econobox - I need room for my large frame and I demand the strongest frame and tortional rigidity. What 12k car is actually safe with close to 300hp? And who wants to modify their car all the way to sticker mania. Driving experience similar to a 3 series can not be modded together. It start with the designs on a drawing board.
  • Options
    danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    I dunno about "left him" statement is true or not but in the long run, TL will left him in term of resale value, mpg, top speed, maintenance/repair cost especially when you have awd.

Please do not believe what I'm about to say
    "auto vs auto there is no way G35 will win over TL, I did it myself. I too was afraid that TL would loose but it didnt. I-80 Iowa"
  • Options
    PS I'd spend the 100k (someday) on the Shelby with nothing inside - they can strip out all but the tach and the shifter and then I'll really realize what driving is all about...not bluetooth not Bose - not leather, not badges or cubbys or stainless or carpet really mean a thing.

Some of us want as much raw driving as we can get with some of the required accoutrments that allow us to accomodate others....so we get to drive the car more! If I could I'd get rid of the AC and strip out the alternator - it just sux up power and you can start it with homebased power supply and add a capacitor to keep the ecu on or whatever radio presets...o wait...where's my radio...
  • Options
    "TL will left him in term of resale value, mpg, top speed, maintenance/repair cost especially when you have awd. "

1) I wont sell until the car is scrap
    2) Resale of G is great as are the new residuals that top the industry
    3) Top speed if you can go >155 then good for you - I'd be happy to bet pink slips tho
    4) Maintenance - you got one wrong for sure- Infiniti is tops of all reliablity only second to lexus and caddy sometimes.
    4) They dont make an AWD acura - that would mean having all the dreaded real wheel driven! The g35X takes almost all the reasons I bought the G and kills them.
  • Options
    Comparing the two cars, with exclusive features.

G35 Auto w/ Premium Package (MSRP $33,890):
    Reclining rear seats
    Heated passenger seatback
    Power entry/exit assist
    Rear auto up-down windows
    Compass
    Auto on-off headlights
    Slightly longer warranty
    Bigger trunk

TL Auto (MSRP $33,195):
    Auto reverse tilt side mirrors
    Telescopic steering wheel
    Memorized setting for side mirrors
    Power driver seat lumbar (manual in G35)
    DVD-a capability
    Bluetooth compatibility
    XM-radio
    Better gas mileage

Power: Even
    Handling: G35
    Ride Quality: Even
    Exterior Design: Even
    Interior Design: TL
    Interior Quality: TL
    Ergonomics and Comfort: Even
    Features: Even
    Passenger Space: TL
    Cargo Space: G35
    Street Price: Even
  • Options
    You are wrong, If G35 is more reliable why people see less G35 than prev. TL, sell less G35 than TL besides G35 is cheaper than TL.
    Remember cheap item sells more than expensive item, well its not on this case. Personally I dunno wut's wrong with this car.

Maybe people afraid of:
    1. reliability
    2. resale value
    3. gas consumption
    4. maintenance (AWD) and your case is RWD
    5. repair
  • Options
    Disagree with two items on your list:

1. Ergonomics and Comfort: Goes to TL. TL is an ergonomic masterpiece, compared to the G35.

2. Features: Goes to TL. There are hi-tech features on the TL that you won't find on most cars, let alone the G.
  • Options
    2004 Estimated 3-year Resale Values (source: ALG)

Acura: 52.1%
    Infiniti: 51.1%

Not much difference there.

There really isn't any evidence that Acuras are more reliable than Infinitis. From what I can gather, they seem to be on par. The previous generation TL's have had horrible issues of transmissions failing, although the current generation seems to have this fixed.

I wasn't aware that RWD is more expensive to maintain than FWD.

Don't get me wrong, the TL is a great car, and I'd personally choose one over the 2004 G35. I just don't think there is much of a difference in resale/reliability of these two cars.
  • Options
    "Features: Goes to TL. There are hi-tech features on the TL that you won't find on most cars, let alone the G."

I have no use for the 2 "high-tech" features on the TL. I don't plan on getting any DVD-audio discs, nor a Bluetooth phone. So for me, the feature content is even.
  • Options
    "I wasn't aware that RWD is more expensive to maintain than FWD.

WHo said this? FWD have those evil CV boots and small drive axle components compared to much stronger and bigger RWD components. The only thing a RWD needs is rubber.
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Don't TLs come with it too? Is Reclining rear seats on G35 the fold-down rear seats or else?
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    TL's got the poor-man's version. You leave the switch in the on position and they turn off after you've locked the car. It's kind of a shame TL does not have full automatic light control, especially since even the Mazda 3 has it.
  • Options
    digidavedigidave Member Posts: 48
    This thread is unbelievable. Comical, if nothing else. Being the "average" reader of these and other similar threads, all I see is a back-and-forth argument that "Mine is better than yours because I say it is (or because I dropped the money for this one and not that one)." My 2 cents: both cars are superb. Both earn respectable write-ups from the various trade mags. Both satisfy the owner's wants or needs (or both). And both are hot sellers.
    ps - my preference: the TL, of course :-)

Here's another nickel's worth, reflecting on a recent comment:

"4) They dont make an AWD acura "

"Acura plays catch-up with awd, 300 hp
    Acura this fall will equip its flagship RL sedan with all-wheel drive and a 300-hp V-6 engine to challenge luxury rivals who offer rear-drive and V-8s, dealers and analysts say. A hybrid gasoline-electric powertrain also could be part of the package. "

- Automotive News
  • Options
    tnisace86tnisace86 Member Posts: 25
    I'm getting a new-used car. Now, the choice is between a 2000 3.2 TL or a Lexus GS300. I don't know which is a "better" car for a college student. Personally, I think the Acura is sportier than the Lexus. However, the Lexus is more luxurious. Which one gets more chicks?
  • Options
    Neither. Get a 350Z, or a SL500 if you want to bag yourself a sexy female professor!
  • Options
    AWD need more attention than two wheel drive FWD/RWD.
    I said AWD cost more to maintain not RWD but since you asked,

Check out this link : http://www.silverwoodtoyota.com/dealerspecific/gm_recomm.asp
    Do you know why it cost more?

From my understanding, my accord never have CV joint problem (it doesnt need rubber too).
  • Options
    BMWNA web site CV joint misinformation

"Looking at this, there was one thing that I thought was a bizarre claim: they
    said that one of the advantages of RWD BMW's over FWD cars was that BMW's
    DIDN'T USE Constant Velocity joints, but instead used 'universal joints' that
    weren't subject to the same type of wear and maintenance.

Well...
    Every BMW produced in the last three decades that I've seen uses exactly the
    same type of *Constant Velocity Joints* that most FWD cars use.

A CV joint is one type of universal joint.

BMW's need to use CV joints in their rear halfshafts because the rear
    suspension's geometry (both the semi-trailing arm design and the newer Z link)
    require that the halfshaft vary in length and accommodate various drive
    angles. The angles are somewhat less than the CV joints of a FWD car see, so
    they probably are less susceptible to wear, but all of the main issues of CV
    joint maintenance remain.

Having had a couple of high mileage BMW's, and also working with some higher
    powered ones, I've run into all of the usual CV joint issues that a FWD car
    has: Boots cracking and needing replacement, as well as outright CV joint
    failure. {Cleaning and flushing out the outer CV joint on a BMW is a *MAJOR*
    pain because it has a metal collar that is permanently roll formed in place,
    which prevents it from being disassembled.}

Moreover, BMW's have a main driveshaft. Inevitably the guibo and center
    bearing will need replacement. When one of the standard U-joints in the
    driveshaft go bad (also common), it's necessary to replace the whole driveshaft
    because the U-joints aren't removable. (Some aftermarket rebuilt driveshafts
    have replaceable U-joints).

I'm writing about this stuff because I was extremely surprised to see such a
    blatant piece of wrong information on BMW's web site. Clearly, the person who
    wrote this didn't have a clue. The BMW driveshaft in particular is one repair
    item that I've found to be of above average cost compared to other cars."
  • Options
    dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    Bodble2: "TL's got the poor-man's version. You leave the switch in the on position and they turn off after you've locked the car. It's kind of a shame TL does not have full automatic light control, especially since even the Mazda 3 has it."

I'm assuming that this means the G35 has the ability to leave the lights in an "on" position but that the car will "sense" when the lights need to actually be on so that it's sort of a "set it and forget it" situation.

Personally, I like having control over when I want my lights on. Sometimes, right at dusk in particular, I think the TL looks extra cool with just the parking/running lights on, especially with those side light markers.

Plus, how much energy or time does it take to turn the lights on when it's time to do so?
  • Options
    I think the G probably has an "auto" setting on its light stalk. To me auto light is not a huge deal. The auto-off on the Acura is good enough for me since I would never have to worry about forgeting to turn off my lights which is important. But, there are times when auto on is also good such as entering into underground parking, tunnels, etc. Plus, it's one of those luxury features for bragging rights!
  • Options
    So when you put the light switch on auto mode (is there such mode) TL can auto light off but not auto light on? Mmmm this is like one of those not-a-big-deal luxy features TL skimps, along with auto rain sensing wipers, one-tough rear windows. It adds up tho. They are touting with these fancy DVD-a and BT at the expense of some already luxy stuff on others. Wonder which one is better.
  • Options
    Don't forget. The TL is more Sport than Luxury. Also, the list of features that finally made production has more to do with what the previous model year had and what the competition doesn't have, and less to do with what the competition does have.
  • Options
    I'd prefer to roll up my windows - can you convert from electric to manual?
  • Options
    I can quite appreciate TL's sport side dominating luxury side now, even tho they say it's a good balance of both. I guess the look and power pretty much overwhelm people over other stuff. But on competition one would think that it'd be a disadvantage to not have the features that others already have. I guess it's easiser to say look we got these new stuff no body else has, and leave you to find out oh btw, we skimp this and that along the way. I dunno man. Maybe the new RL will have all, with more $$ of course.
  • Options
    There is no auto mode on TL. You just leave it in "ON" and it remains on when the engine is on.
    Rain sensing wipers I can do without. The RX330 has them, but apparently they take the place of intermittent feature. And the rain-sensor apparently sometimes has a mind of it's own. One-touch rear windows again I wouldn't want. Kids like to play with windows enough already.
  • Options
    So while leaving the light on, would it turn off by itself some seconds after the engine shuts off/door closed?

Well on rainsensing stuff you can use it (auto) or still use intermittent manually. On lexus even with auto you can set how sensitive the auto wiper is. It works well for me esp. when the rains is on and off or light and heavy. The auto wipers adjust right away. On windows kids pay with it as long as it moves - one touch or many touch! I mean none of these are essential and that's why it's called luxury right? Is 10 way adjustment and lumber support on pessenger seat essential, maybe not. Would you or your spouse like to have that, you bet!
  • Options
    The lights turn off within a certain time period after doors are locked. The lapsed time is user-programmable from (I think) 15 seconds to 1 minute.

Regarding power adjustment for passenger seat, my spouse only needs one -- full recline, since she goes to sleep about 45 seconds into the ride anyway!
  • Options
    "The lights turn off within a certain time period after doors are locked. The lapsed time is user-programmable from (I think) 15 seconds to 1 minute."

If you press the door lock button on the key fob twice, the lights turn off immediately.
  • Options
    Does it have to be locked for the lights to go off auto, or just door shut, as we typically do at home garage?
  • Options
    After removing key from ignition and close the driver door, all lights turn off automatically 0 sec until 1 min depends on the setting.
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Have the impression that many that post here have not driven both cars on the same roads on the same day. I did last weekend.

Both have similar window sticker prices but better deals available for the G35. The G35 feels quicker (more responsive to gas pedal) and turned more tightly (turning circle - for some reason the sales person was pushing the turning circle).

The TL was quieter and rode a bit better. Plenty of wind noise around the mirrors on the G35. The nav system on the TL is two or three generations better than the one on the G35. The G35 didn't have a touch screen or voice recognition. The sound system in the TL and better than the G35 though it is lost on me (AM news listener).

Interior and exterior style is subjective, but quality of interior materials seems nicer on the TL. The half a power passenger seat on the TL is a negative (no up and down), but not as much of a negative as the location of the seat controls (on the top surface) on the G35.

For pure go and handling on curves the G35 stands out. For comfort, nav system, and sound system the TL is better.
  • Options
    raharris1raharris1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
      Since I am trying to decide between the G35 and the TL, I hope this is appropriate to post here. I posted to the Accessories forum and haven't received any replies...

Would anybody care to comment on how well the Bluetooth speakerphone feature on the TL works? This is a feature that I would use quite often, and I am anxious to know if it works well enough to be a consideration in the decision between the TL and a G35. Thanks in advance for any comments....

Randy
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi raharris1 - it's fine to ask that here. You might also want to drop the dedicated Acura TL discussion. You're likely to find some TL owners there who don't hang out in this discussion.
  • Options
    mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    Consumer reports gave the TL the #1 rating in its catagory, and the only other car I test drove was the G35. Consumer reports ranked the G at #13 or 14 (I can't remember exactly). Also, the dealer never called me back when the AWD G was in, nor did he remember me from 2 weeks prior.

Regards,

Eddie G
This discussion has been closed.