Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A3

Comments

• Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Thanks - I am looking for what one Edmunds writer described as "that lizard down a drain pipe" feel. The Saab Sport Combi has caught my eye as has the new Passat when the wagon comes out.

The Mazda 3 seems to have that feel as well, but like the A3, is too small in the rear quarters.
  • Options
    billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Check out the Mazda 6 wagon. Sporty, fun to drive, with loads of room.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    Don't Forget Subaru Legacy GT Ltd/Outback XT. Legacy is "street" oriented, Outback is "family/outdoors". AWD, fast, no manual on Legacy wagon, if that's important :(

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Super fast, pretty roomy and a bit more upscale than the Mazda.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    The front seat is great on the Forester XT but the back seat is pretty small. The Mazda 6 might work.

Is a Nissan Murano SE getting too big to handle well?

Is a Volvo V70 too soft?

As for Audi A4 Avant , I thought the back seat was no larger than A3 - just the cargo hold.
  • Options
    dc_davedc_dave Member Posts: 52
    Here is the latest from the Audi USA website:

14 November 2005
    AUDI ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR THE 2006 A3 3.2 QUATTRO S-LINE

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – The highly acclaimed 2006 Audi A3 line-up will receive a formidable addition in mid-November: the A3 3.2 quattroÒ S-line. Audi’s premium compact will now have even more sporting pretensions with a high-power V6 engine, quattro all-wheel drive, and aggressive exterior styling. The 2006 A3 3.2 quattro S-line will be available at a base price of $33,980 ($44,990 in Canada). A destination charge of $720 is not included in the base price.
    The heart of the new A3 3.2 quattro S-line is the narrow-angle 3.2L V6 engine producing 250 hp at 6300 rpm and 236 ft.-lbs. of torque from 2800-3200 rpm. A 6-speed Direct-Shift Gearbox transmission is standard, as is Audi’s legendary quattro all-wheel drive. This drivetrain propels the A3 3.2 quattro S-line from 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds, and through the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds.

A standard sport suspension and 17-inch Excalibur 5-spoke alloy wheels with 225/45 all-season tires ensures that the A3 3.2 quattro S-line has a dynamic ride with sporty handling. Optional 18-inch 20-spoke alloy wheels with 225/40 performance tires are available for drivers who demand the ultimate in traction.

The exterior styling has been changed to distinguish the A3 3.2 quattro S-line as the sportiest of A3s. The front bumper now features larger air intakes that terminate into a new lip spoiler. The rear bumper has been restyled to feature a sporty and more pronounced lower valence. These features, along with the 17 or 18-inch wheels, gives the A3 3.2 quattro S-line an outwardly aggressive road presence that matches its driving dynamics.

Other standard features on the S-line package include fog lights, roof spoiler, S-line badging, alloy air vents and door inlays, leather clad sport seats with special stitching and a power adjustable driver’s seat, 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel with alloy shift paddles, BoseÒ Symphony audio system with an in-dash 6-disc CD changer, illuminated vanity mirrors, and driver and passenger reading lights.

I can't wait to compare this car with the new Saab 9-3 Sportcombi Aero. From the photos, I like the Saabs exterior and the Audi's interior.

Dave in VA
  • Options
    so 35k with xenons and a moonroof. Major ripoff.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I never thought a "Hothatch" would top 30K , much less 35K. In days of 28K Kia's maybe its not so far off the mark. Personally Id drop the "S" badging package and save 3-4K....

DL
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,561
    That is $34,700 with destination... I didn't see any mention of moonroof or xenons being standard... If not, you might be close to $37K with those...

Just give me Quattro on the 2.0T with a stick-shift, and I'll be happy..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I was being nice with my 35k estimate. Xenons and roof are extra, thus pushing the car way past an ED 330i. Far less car, far more money. What is Audi smoking?
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I'm thinking I'm at $38K for what I'd pick. Even a negotiated lease, given the money rates Audi has been passing, is looking less than yummy, I'll concede.

Honestly, an over-nannied, pudgy IS350 in white with a "cashmere" (shouldn't that be Kashmir?) interior, sport package and some SSR GT7s with Goodyear F1s may do me proper after all. I hate the thought of losing a wagon, but hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do...
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Audi is clearly testing the waters with this one, and is hoping to make some cash on the (few) initial sales.

However, the hatchback market has traditionally been in the $15K to $20K range. Perhaps add $1.5K for AWD, add another 1.5K for a better engine. Subaru has been raising the prices recently, and with heated leather/moonroof your WRX wagon is >$27K. Add another $3K audi name plate tax and you are at $30K. But $35-40K? Where is the market for that?

Sad thing is, VW/Audi will lose $5K with me on this type of marketing strategy, and I am sure I am not the only one. I think at this point, I'd rather get a FWD $25K 5-door GTI than the FWD A3, and definitely not this thing. I would spend $30K for a Haldex AWD 2.0TFSI A3 - but my patience is running out, on that. They better hurry up and offer that before/when the 5-door GTI is released in June - else Audi loses my purchase. Of course, if they cancel or delay the 5-door GTI (or Golf 2.0TFSI), VW/Audi loses all of my money...
  • Options
    Does this thing even come with automatic climate control?

Dave in VA
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I believe that automatic two zone climate control is standard equipment on all A3s.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    the Audi dealer experience and S3 reliability needs to be really great to for me to get what's essentially a Golf in Audi clothes. Haven't seen an example of that yet...
  • Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Anyone see the pic in Inside Line of the Audi A5 Coupe coming in 2007...looks awesome....this is what i've been waiting for...unfortunatley I probably won't be able to afford it. :cry:

don
  • Options
    dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2006 A6 with bluetooth and a Treo 650. It sort of works, but gets confused periodically. Then the car will say the phone is not properly paried, the phone will hang, THEN, if I just wait for 4-5 minutes, it all fixes itself and starts to work fine (until I turn the car off). ????? Haven't figured this one out yet.
  • Options
    Well, I just built up my A3 3.2 Quattro using Edmunds website (yes, they just posted the 3.2 quattro prices).

MSRP = $39,450
    Inovice = $36,605
    TMV = $38,801

I likely will not buy until May so I'm hoping go get one for around 37K? What do you think, wishful thinking?? $40K for an A3 is just way to much.

Dave in VA
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Forgive my ignorence, but will a true manual with a clutch ever be offered?
    I am a big Audi fan. I had driven almost all except S4, and A3. The A3 was amazing. Great gearbox and steering feedback. I have always dreemed of an S4 but after driving it, it seemed a little long in the tooth. Very fast, but the most annoying thing was the gigantic bus sized steering wheel, and kind of notchy gear box. Maybe the next gen S4 can catch up, but I thought the driving dynamics of the little A3 were superior. Just my 2 cents..
  • Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    In my humble opinion, $37K is way to much for an A3 3.2Quattro....heck....$35K is too much...I'm sure they'll sell a few....but they'd sell a zillion of the 2.0 quattros, if they'd make em...
  • Options
    Mine came out at $36K and a half roughly. I don't need the bluetooth or sat radio stuff, and the regular order paints will be fine.

One thing I missed on the options list was the NAV, and I don't see it on the standard features list either. Macular degeneration maybe? kyfdx might be right and codgerdom may be upon me...

$36K-$37K doesn't sound so bad to me for a 250-horse quattro hatch assuming some of that can be negotiated away, and by May (sooner probably) I think that will be likely.

BTW, I checked insurance for the A3, IS350 and for fun the G35 coupe (just thinkin' here) and the A3 is substantially lower than the IS, and a fair deal lower than the G. The repair cost index on the IS is high. Very high, according to State Farm. It may color my decision downstream...
  • Options
    audiorminiaudiormini Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone compared the A3 to the soon to be released fifth generation VW GTI? It's got the same engine + DSG + other specs as A3 but for $2-3K *LESS* Release date is Feb 2006 for 3-door (which A3 doesn't have) and Summer 2006 for 3-Door. Any reasons to buy the A3 over the new GTI aside from the obvious difference in styling?
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    No, the GTI hasn't been compared to the a3 here.

Reasons include 4 doors vs 2, 4 years of free audi service, styling, interior luxuriousness.
  • Options
    scrumhalfscrumhalf Member Posts: 27
    The Murano SE handles quite well. This coming from a 325i owner.

We put 58,000 miles on ours and it both rode and handled quite well, but it is a big vehicle. It weighs just under 4000 pounds which isn't bad for a vechicle this size.

The CVT makes it very quick.
  • Options
    scrumhalfscrumhalf Member Posts: 27
    My A3 came to 36,500. That's ridiculous. I'd get the 2.0T in an instant if it was RWD.

The A3 costs as much has a well equipped G35 coupe. Just not worth it.

Oh well.

Back to the hunt for a 325i replacement.
  • Options
    Any Quattro for that there GTI?

I like the extra doors, Audi styling, Audi interior, Quattro and the pleasure of not having to interact with VW of USA.

I thought this thing would bag out at $38K sticker. At $36K-$37K assuming some wiggle room, this looks OK. I think the run will be short, though, and would prefer to see a 2.0TQ.

Reality is that for a seriously sharp, suitably plush, sporty and fairly potent wagon (which is the best form of automotive transport after all) that isn't part of the Supersize America Plan, there aren't that many great options. The Subarus are potent and AWD, but butt-stinking ugly (IMO of course) and haven't yet hit the entry lux plateau, the 9-3 Combi is FWD only and SAAB's not exactly known for extreme sport handling. The VW's aren't quite as sharp and give you FWD only in this size.

There will be price resistence on the 3.2 though. I will be surprised if the deals aren't fairly tasty by March.
  • Options
    Of course people cross-shop the GTI and the A3. Same platform, very similar options. The GTI comes in 3-door and 5-door (available June '06 in the US). It also comes in quattro (=4Motion=Haldex, in this case) in the R32 incarnation, which by all information available at this time will be an R36 in the US (Passat engine). So it will be more powerful than the 3.2 A3.

Leather and most other goodies are available as well. Take a second look at it, it is not miles apart from the A3 in terms of styling or luxury. It has a bigger boot, to boot. Main differences in my opinion are (i) dealer/service experience, (ii) free maintenance, and (iii) likely lower insurance costs for A3.

But, alas, to get AWD you need to get the R36 --- you can't get it for the 2.0TFSI; same story as A3.
  • Options
    enicholsenichols Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at an A3 sport, NAV+, open sky, bi-xenon and Sirus in Garnet red. The dealer said that he will have to order it. Has anyone else been through a custom order process ?
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    It takes about 10-12 weeks to order it from the factory. Navigation & Garnet Red are sold order only options. Murano Green & Venetian Violet are sold order colors as well.

Nothing really to discuss about the car you want. Just order it through your dealer and drive home 3 months later. :)
  • Options
    ikarus65ikarus65 Member Posts: 2
    I took two A3 2.0T for a test drive today, one with sports package and DSG and one without. The engine is a true marvel and packs quite a punch. Torque-a-plenty! The car is beautiful inside and out. I liked the sports suspension even a bit better than the regular one. But, and this is a big but... What were they thinking when they designed the bottom of that center console? Being 6'3" tall I can use any legroom there is, and those stupid rails at the sides of the console seem to serve no apparent purpose but to confine the right leg in a perfectly straight 0 degrees upward angle. As much as I tried, I just couldn't find a comfortable seating position in this car. The sales guy who went with me was a good 4 inches less tall and he admitted that it wasn't exactly ideal for him either. I'm not even sure this is a matter of height. I would think that even being below 6', you wouldn't mind that extra degree of freedom for your right leg. It just seems so stupid to have a design element serving no apparent purpose get in the way like that. :mad: I so wanted to love this car, but this is a dealbreaker. Now I only hope that VAG will release the New Beetle with the 2.0T FSI engine some time soon.
  • Options
    The tight space to the right of your right leg has, unfortunately, been an Audi trademark for a long time. I remember thinking the same when I decided between my Passat AWD wagon and the A4 wagon. I could definitely get used to it, since I keep my legs fairly straight (left-right) when I drive --- so I would normally not bump into that. But I feel your pain :cry:

I would suggest trying out a Jetta GLI and if that works, perhaps wait for the Golf or GTI rather than the Beetle.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The Saturn ION also has the same center console design, forcing your leg left, making for very unpleasant long distance trips.

Sorry to hear the A3 has this as well.
  • Options
    ikarus65ikarus65 Member Posts: 2
    I checked online photos and found that both the GLI and the GTI have the same center console design. Same for the upcoming EOS convertible. I just hope that VAG is not going to screw up the Beetle as well, eventually.
  • Options
    I have cast about ceaselessly looking for a better candidate to take my money in May, but I still keep coming back to the 3.2Q as being the best match out there for my wants and needs.

No done deal of course, but I see very little else that satisfies so many preferences. Funny thing is that I'd look at virtually anythng in a RWD wagon of the same size, but they simply don't exist in this country anymore. I'm angry at BMW for insisting on upsizing the 3 and not bringing the 330 version, and truly pissed at Lexus for not offering a new IS350 wagon.

What's a guy gotta do to get a "real" car these days anyway? Move to the UK?
    :sick:
    ;)
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    V50 T5 AWD...though no V6...and no DSG
  • Options
    Tried it, even though it's kind of an ugly little pug. No go. The reflexes are weaker than my IS's, and the interior is nothing to write home about, especially when compared to an A3. It is attractively priced to be certain, but this is not really about price resistance, frankly, though there is a limit of course.

Good example of what I'm talking about, though, Ivan. If it was RWD, I think I'd pull the trigger anyway, deficiencies be damned.
  • Options
    Well, the configurator on the Audi site now has the 3.2 up. I configured mine. Came out to $39,900.

Remember that post I just put up about price resistance? They just made a liar out of me.

Either they'll produce a 2.0TQ by May, drop the 3.2Q price by May, start offering some tasty lease deals by May, or this boy's buying something else come May!

Definitely smoking something...
  • Options
    Amen. I really can't understand how Audi can justify prices that extreme.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    Several possibilities:
    1. Currency exchange. For years dollar was high, which gave them good profits and pricing flexibility. It's over now, they have no choice but stick it out. Evidence - compare with European prices and A3 still looks like a steal here for same configurations.
    2. Greed, i.e. attempt of pulling "domestic" - overprice it, catch a few suckers first, then add incentives on as needed basis. We all know how it ends, but they haven't tried it yet (you never believ until you do it yourself).
    3. Desperation. With VAG in dire straights (Audi being only profitable division), they try to take as much as possible.
    4. They want to kill it, but have an appearance of trying. Overpricing is the best way.
    5. Stupidity. They are dumb - they don't get it and never will. It's another version of Pheaton.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    I think it's 1 and 3 resulting in 5.

Audi may be profitable overall, but the US is a sore point because of the exchange rate.

For my configuration, they are a good three grand over what I would be willing to do. The car is nifty, but for that kind of money?
  • Options
    Yeah 36k msrp seems reasonable. That gives about 3k wiggle room to get the price to a decent level. For 33-34k I'd be interested in a loaded A3.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Well, the configurator on the Audi site now has the 3.2 up. I configured mine. Came out to $39,900.

ouch...I was just on the BMW site configuring a 330i (not going to buy one anytime soon), and my ideal came out to just around 40,500. Not that these automobiles are comparable…but in price they are.
  • Options
    Yep, that's my problem with Audi's pricing. I'm not in love with the e90 but configured as I want one (leather, moon, xenons, sport, comfort access) it's 40,500. I'd do EuroDelivery and that'd make it 35.5k. I couldn't fathom paying more for an A3.
  • Options
    For the last couple of years there has been a recurrent rumor that Audi is going to reinstate their ED program. Given that my as configured price is $34,120* I'm wondering if I might be able to get one for somewhere around $29,000-$30,000 with a $1,000 over ED invoice type of deal.

Regarding the asterisk (*) after my configured price, that is my derived MSRP because the Audi system will not let me configure the car with the Convenience Package (and Bluetooth) AND the Bi-Xenons for the Sport Package. Could they really be that dumb? Yeesh! Note to self: Stop by one of my two local dealerships and ask about this. If it's really true, then this is an absolute show stopper for me.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I could bring myself to pay more than for an E90, but for some very specific personal preferences.

I much prefer five doors to four.

I much prefer the smaller size.

I can't get an E90 wagon with the power plant of choice.

I love the DSG.

I love the Open Sky option.

I much prefer the Audi interior.

I don't care much for Bangle's work, subtle as it may be on the E90 by comparison.

But $40K? Oy.
  • Options
    To me and the way I maintain a car and the places that I drive it, there are two significant flies in the ointment of the new E90:

1) The E90 comes equipped with RunFlat tires (annoying but I could live with the extra expense), and no spare tire. Yikes! I drive plenty of places where such a tire (i.e. any of the OEM offerings on the E90) cannot be had at a moment's notice, and if it does happen to be available, we're talking $$$.
    2) No dipstick. I thought my days of crawling under cars to change the oil were over when I bought my Pela oil extraction device.

In spite of the A3's various shortcomings (no RWD option, no power memory seats for the SP, and possibly having to decide between Bluetooth and Xenon headlights), I'm thinking that the A3 is a winner in a head-to-head comparison with the E90, even at like prices.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Really? Wow. To me for 3-4k less than an e90 and the a3 has quattro I'd go A3. Anything within 2k and I'm opting for the bimmer purely based on the far superior handling.
  • Options
    "Really?"

Actually, that's the million dollar question. I've heard from any number of normally reliable sources that, "Audi is about to reinstate their ED program, details to follow..." Unfortunately I've been hearing that for nearly three years and so far at least, no ED program. :-(

I'll check around again and report back.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I just went on the BMW website and configured a 330 with the same options. It was north of 45k. For me given that everytime I step in to a BMW dealership I'm treated as if I should kiss they're [non-permissible content removed] as opposed to having an exact opposite experience at Audi{ they're kissing mine} and given the 2.0t has better acceleration than the 330, I'd go with the Audi. Oh yeah, much better interior IMO.
    For those of you on the car of the year forum {where I've been trying to log on to for days now} there are some saying that the Mini should have got best sport compact over the A3. I say drive it before making judgments. It is one of the funnest cars I've ever driven.