Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3

Comments

• tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I know you've heard this before, but MOST folks that post are posting b/c of a problem...the other 95% of the owners you never hear from, so draw your own conclusions. I've got just under 5K on mine and other than the broken sunshade clip, the car has been flawless (A3 DSG 2.0T, OpenSky, Sport pkg). So, while I'm not happy with the broken clip, is it a deal-breaker, HECK NO! The car, transmission, engine, etc are amazing. I traded in a problem riddled 330i for this sweet ride and have never looked back. Good luck shopping!
  • bruce30bruce30 Member Posts: 8
    There was no hesitation on the demo car but my car does have a hesitation when accelerating slowly at times. I read a post about squeezing harder on acceleration and that does resolve the hesitation problem. About the price;it started w/mfg price on everything. I asked for a Costco discount and they came back w/$1200 off orig pricing. I think the after tax total was around 33400. I thought that was fair. They did have a lot of A3s in stock at that time.
    The previous price posted included the Ocean Blue Pearl extra paint charge + premium + open sky
  • walkerhound1walkerhound1 Member Posts: 14
    The starting problem is a no-charge fix if your car is afflicted. There is a technical service bulletin on the problem, and dealers just reflash the ECU with a newer version of the stock software to fix it. The cold start/no start problem for DSG cars has happened to me a couple of times...when I failed to depress the brake pedal firmly when starting.
    There have been some issues with open sky, but I didn't want it & didn't get it, so it hasn't been an issue for me. My car uses some oil between changes, so that's been the only real "problem." It's a high compression engine, so I expect some oil consumption, and I'm not alarmed by it. I've got a service coming up, so I will have it checked for non-obvious leaks.
    So, the short answer to your question, this has been a trouble-free car, besides being a lot of fun.
  • middlp23middlp23 Member Posts: 11
    Hi...I'm almost 16 and ive been looking for a car to get, would anyone reccomend this car for me? How would it fair as a daily driver? What are any inherent problems I would have to deal with? Whats reliability like?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I would never recommend a $25k new car to a new driver.

People make mistakes. Its part of the learning process. You are better off making those mistakes in someting MUCH cheaper with MUCH cheaper insurance.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tgrundketgrundke Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 A3 2.0T Sport 6MT with every option except for Bluetooth and I have not had *one* problem with my car, sans the OpenSky screen that had to be repaired because it wouldn't retract properly, in over 20,000 miles.

The "wind noise" issue I think is being referred to when people have the OpenSky open - and even then, I don't find the noise to be any greater than with a standard sunroof. When closed the noise is just fine.

If you check some of the other enthusiast forums for Audi you'll find most everyone very happy with their cars. No vehicle is 100% perfect and what may be a 'major issue' to one person may not be a problem at all to someone else.

Again, from experience, my A3 has been practically bulletproof (knock on wood).
    My wind noise is w/open skyroof closed at 55+. I also have a Mercedes C320 w/sunroof. That car does not have windnoise going 95+. But I agree that aside from that issue overall the A3 is an excellent ride.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I was hoping that Audi would be in production or the planning stages of an S3 in the US. Or RS3? Either way, I was hoping they could do better than a very heavy gas guzzling and under powered 3.2 250HP engine.

Is the Mazda Speed 3 gonna be my next car?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Has anyone here driven the A3 with the optional 19" wheels?
    If so, how's the ride and handling?
    Chip your 2.0T & you're at 260 hp or better-- and quicker than a 3.2.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Quattro and/or a LSD would help...
    Audi is very aware of "chipping" and will void your engine warranty if they find it.

Incidently, does Audi USA actually offer Quattro on any of its cars __without__ all the Sports add-ons?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Audi is very aware of "chipping" and will void your engine warranty if they find it.

Ehhh. It's illegal for a manufacturer to void an entire warranty based on a mod. Learn the law - it's your friend. If you bring the car in complaining of problems VW/Audi can void portions of your warranty and claim the mod was the reason for the problem but they can't, for instance, void your warranty coverage of say a leaky sunroof because you chipped your car.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I don't remember the specific tuner (could be more than one)...but it gave a 2 year warranty on their modifications...in the unlikely event a problem was caused by their mods (and Audi blamed it on the mod and voided any warranty work).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    Yeah.. but, think of all the things they could connect an aftermarket chip to.... all of the really expensive stuff..

That isn't like adding a short-shift kit or window tint..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

True, aftermarket chips could be connected to a lot of things-- but they don't prospectively void powertrain warranties, though a discovered "tuned ECU" might result in a note in the service file for future reference. There are tuners that do ECU upgrades & "warranty" against related problems. For example, Stasis Engineering offers a couple of modded "package cars" that are sold though Audi dealerships that include chip tunes + suspension/wheels/tire/brakes/exhaust & diff-- they carry a warranty that's basically identical to Audi's.

Ultimately, each person has to decide whether the "risk" of chipping is worth it. I don't blame anyone who wouldn't even consider it. My take on it is that Audi leaves a lot of room for tuning in these engines without the need for building them-- and the chip tuners take drivability & reliability into account when they develop their programs. Personally, I don't know of anyone who's had serious chip-related problems. In fact, I'd expect Audi to alter the programming & deliver higher factory hp in the next couple of years. There's some evidence that the claimed current factory rating is a little conservative, anyway.
    Interesting. So do these packages from Stasis Engineering have Audi's sanction (i.e., their mods fall under Audi warranty), or is the warranty a separate warranty.

I.e., your Stasis Engineering modified Audi develops sunroof rattles and a glitch in the differential. Then Stasis Engineering reimburses you for the dealer's diff. repair, while Audi warranty covers the sunroof?

It's a little surprising the A3 isn't being sold with the chipped engine, with a different warranty, and certainly a higher price, for enthusasists who prefer power to longevity. Then again, what percentage of Audi A3 buyers want performance above all else?
    The dealer installs the package, and from what I've read in their own posts elsewhere, the Stasis warranty is separate, but has the same duration as the Audi new car warranty. In other words, it runs concurrently with the Audi warranty. I don't really don't know exactly how Stasis and its dealers allocate liability between themselves for warranty claims. Your guess about coverage as between Audi & Stasis sounds correct.

Every so often, factory-sanctioned chips are rumored to be a possibilty...we'll see.
    Those with A3's might want to do a web search for tuner MTM, as they offer kits boosting your A3 to 340 HP.

I can't vouch for MTM but thought A3 folks would be interested.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    This has NOTHING to do with anything, and your post here was made months ago.

You said:

"That having been said, the best car that I've ever driven in the white stuff was my snow tire shod RWD 530i. Go figure."

This is perplexing. Do you live in an area prone to snow and odd, patternless weather? Because I do- the Chicago suburbs. Yesterday it was sunny and '60s, no joke. Today it was 20s and snowed for the first time this year-- and it's only the second week of October!

The car in question is the Jag XJ8, as well as the E350 4Matic and 530xi. While the Merc/BMW are more practical choices (and this is my wife's next car), the XJ8 has wowed us with its beauty, reliaibility that belies its Jaguar name, unbelievable fuel economy for a large sedan (26mpg according to most owners!), and of course, British luxury.

The one and only obstacle is AWD. If you put winter tires on a RWD car, does it really need it? I haven't owned a RWD car in so long, and I plainly don't remember (it was a Datsun back in the early '70s, my first car). I have an Audi, and basically, I'm obsessed with the idea that you need quattro (or some type of AWD) to get through this place.

Are all the rumors true, or can you survive with an XJ8?

Thanks.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG &#149; '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet &#149; '04 Lexus RX330 <--- My wife's, about to be replaced (January)</b>
    WHICH A3? THE 2.0T???

WITH AS MUCH POWER AS MY CAR???

Madness!!!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    If Shipo and I can survive the wilds of New Hampshire with RWD BMW 5ers you can surely survive in Chi with an XJ8.

Yes snows are a necessity.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey there esf,

For starters, andys120 summed it up quite nicely. ;-) That having been said, I responded to your post over in a different discussion that I think is probably more On Topic. :shades:

shipo, "Snow/Ice winter tires" #529, 13 Oct 2006 3:36 am

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    On topic? On topic?

Where the heck is the fun in that?

Personal observation: In the seven years I have roamed these boards, the very best conversations I've witnessed couldn't even find the topic at hand with radar...
    I completely concur. ;-)

That said, I really didn't want to run too far afoul of the rules and have the "Topic Police" get after me, ummmm, errrr, again. :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    A brief Edmunds article (not sure if Edmunds allows posting internal links - do a search and you should find it) discussed the Audi TT as tuned by MTM. There was another article on another site mentioning the A3 tuning.

I do not know if USA Tuners, or a subsidiary, can bring those parts here to the USA.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Looking at buying a new 06 A3....whats the Free Maintenance all about on the 06,s that was dropped for 07?? What does this consist of?
    Thanks in advance.

don
    Oh, well I have some news that's a bit more on topic.

In an odd twist of events, I convinced her to try out the A8. She didn't want a third Audi in the house, but she couldn't resist my badgering.

We drove a SWB A8 on Monday. She was very impressed. So impressed, in fact, that she decided she didn't want to look at RWD cars any more and dropped the idea of an XJ altogether, as pretty as it is. The next day, we drove an E350 4Matic. She wasn't nearly as impressed. The ride quality was coarse in comparison, the interior felt a lot cheaper, it had a significantly smaller rear seat, and speaking of the seats, they were very hard. It just wasn't a car she wanted, at all- and the needlessly complex last-generation COMAND system was a glaring flaw. She wants a gold (Platinum Beige in Audi talk) A8, over the lightest beige interior color possible, with the Premium Package and 19" 12-spoke polished wheels (the gorgeous ones). I'm probably going to talk her into getting a different exterior color. Key features that the A8 has that she would really appreciate:

&#149;Backup camera on the '07, which we'd be getting. She has it on the RX, and is too used to it to let it go.

&#149;Ultra-smooth ride with Lexus-like quietness on the highway.

&#149;We'd both enjoy the 350hp V8. I'm going to be stealing it a lot!

&#149;Stunning interior

&#149;Timeless exterior.

&#149;Tons of creature comforts- all anyone would ever need is in the base model, but the Premium Package adds some cool goodies.

&#149;Finally, most significantly, AWD. I wouldn't be comfortable with her driving a RWD car in the winter, because she's not really the most "skilled" driver. She drives safely, but not particularly well.

I think it's the perfect car for her.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG &#149; '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet &#149; '04 Lexus RX330
    While visiting the LA Auto show and the Audi showcase, an Audi represenative told me that the A3 2.0 T will have Quattro drive as an option sometime next year (in '07).

He did not say whether or not the S-package will be a mandentory addition for 2.0 T's with Quattro.
    "He did not say whether or not the S-package will be a mandentory addition for 2.0 T's with Quattro..."

Well, one can only hope. Only way to buy the car IMNSHO...
    If you lease, that S-line package hurts... It lowers the residual by 2%...

Don't they have a Sport package that has all of the performance goodies, without the cosmetic stuff?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Unfotunately, for our local roads, the S-package makes the car ride harsh. So I hope, at least for the 2.0T, Audi will offer an AWD choice for us folks not blessed with smooth, Germanic roads.

The 3.2's mandentory sport suspension lets it corner flat, for sure.
    "Don't they have a Sport package that has all of the performance goodies, without the cosmetic stuff? "

That would work. Make the cosmetics the option, and the suspension the given.

The suspension tuning makes all the difference in the world, from my experience. It unleashes the true joy of driving the car, as opposed to merely commuting comfortably in style.

I see an awful lot of these little guys up here in NorCal these days. Still a very hip little ride.

Still would be better RWD.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the 1-series finally lands. I understand from the thread that the wagon version, and not the stubbier hatch, will be offered here. If so, my bank goes to BMW, assuming I'm in the market at the time...
    If the 1 Series ever comes here. BMW has been saying, "Oh, it'll come, eventually..." for several years. Eventuality is taking the novelty from this car.

I've actually read more than a few reviews saying that the A3 was a better driver than the 1, and is not only fun, but offers the 1's missing practicality, high-quality interior and aggressive style.

I love my little bugger.

Another thing that came out of the LA Auto show was Audi's claim that A3 3.2's can be had __without__ the sport suspension.

When I explained all their lit and web site only listed the A3 3.2 with S-line trim, they said an Audi dealer __can__ order one with regular suspension, but that it takes a month or more to get it.
  • evansmom828evansmom828 Member Posts: 1
    If you want a free maintenance pkg on an 07, you can pay 550 or you can pay for each time you bring the car in. Personally I think the $550 is worth it.

Sherry :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    Personally I think the $550 is worth it

really? What kind of maintenance are we talking about? And for how long?

$550 would cover both of my vehicles through 3 years.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hey folks, just thought i'd butt in...
    I recently bought a NEW leftover 06 A3 (my first audi...and i love it so far...have 6,000+ miles on it)..one thing to note on the free maintenance:
    My first scheduled maintenance was at 5,000 miles..and it was free.
    The next free one is at 15,000 miles....but at 10,000 miles the oil should be changed again and the tires rotated....so this one i will have to pay for....i think this goes on like this, every other one isn't free..not sure if the $550 is worth it or not, but i thought i'd let ya all know.

don
    ...but at 10,000 miles the oil should be changed again and the tires rotated...

Well, that's not entirely true. Your second oil change is due at 15,000 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hey Shipo...i've always heard different stories about when to change Synthetic oil.
    So its ok to go 10,000 miles between changes???
    This audi dealer uses Castro oil.They hinted i should change it in the 5-6,000 mile range, but it was up to me.I just want to do whats best for the engine.

don
  • bluejaysbluejays Member Posts: 9
    Hi All-

Oil is the lifeblood of an automobile engine. It is very cheap insurance towards ensuring a long and healthy life for your new car. Regular oil should be used for the initial break-in period as synthetics are essentially "too slippery" for proper break-in to occur. The first change should occur at 500 miles, the second at the 1000 mile marker.

After those first two changes one can make the migration to synthetic oils. Oil should still be changed every 5000-6000 miles because the oil still contaminates at the same rate as regular mineral-based oils. The suspension capabilities and anti-shearing properties are simply superior in the synthetic products. This is such an easy and hassle-free piece of maintenance it's not worth delaying it to try and save a few dollars. Remember, the automobile companies want your new car to last...but not to last too long!

~ Blue Jays ~
    "I've always heard different stories about when to change Synthetic oil."

My earlier comments were specific to what your Owner's Manual recommends for scheduled oil services, and not necessarily what I would do were it that I was in your shoes.

"So it's ok to go 10,000 miles between changes???"

A lot of that depends upon the oil used.

"This Audi dealer uses Castrol oil. They hinted I should change it in the 5-6,000 mile range, but it was up to me. I just want to do what's best for the engine."

Here again, it depends upon the oil used. For a 10,000 mile OCI, the only oils that I would use in the 2.0T (regardless of brand or weight) would have to meet the most stringent VW 503.01 oil standard. Per the Castrol web site, the only oil that they sell here in North America that meets that standard is the German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

With the above in mind, oils that meet the older 502.00 oil spec are most probably good for 5,000 to 6,000 miles, and Castrol does in fact make one other oil that meets that spec, namely Castrol Syntec 5W-40.

If your dealer is using anything else, then I wouldn't even go 1,000 miles without dumping that oil, in fact, I wouldn't even let them put it in the engine in the first place. In the end, the only two 503.01 oils that are readily available here in North America that I would trust for 10,000 miles in the 2.0T are the aforementioned Castrol Syntec 0W-30 as well as the Mobil 1 0W-40.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks Shipo, and Bluejays...your input is greatly appreciated.
    This is my first Audi, and i want it to last me awhile.

don
  • aakersaakers Member Posts: 1
    I too have changed the oil every 5000 miles . Both my wife and I have found our A3 2.0 t DSG Premium Coldweather and All Season Tires, Moro Blue Pearl to be a great car . Yes we have had problems with the sun shade and yes it is a bit noisy on the highway but ... 26 to 30 mpg , handles wonderfully and is a blast to drive . Before that car my wife was driving a toyota Avalon which was and is a great automobile but not any where near the fun as the A3. We now have about 13,800 on the car and yes I am going to check the oil level in the morning . According to my dealer we are using synthetic and the salesman reccomended the 5000 interval not only for the opil but the tire rotation as well . We usually change at 3000 in our other cars . We shall see as the miles roll on as this is our first German car but for now it is a fine automobile and a very nice piece of engineering.
    Andy :)
    I've now driven over 10,000 miles on my Ocean Blue 2006 A3 with sport package and DSG (no other extras - except performance tires that come with the sport package normally). I've had no issues other than the tailpipes having an ugly finish that I should have caught on delivery. After several visits to a San Diego dealership, complaining to Audi America and customer service, and appealing the service manager's original decision, they finally agreed to replace the exhaust tips, which meant replacing not just the tips but the whole rear line and exhaust assembly (probably why they resisted in the first place). I think Audi should include and use a more polished stainless steel exhaust tip, but the factory one's that replaced my originals are much better. I should have caught this on delivery and taken care of it then.

I've had no mechanical problems as of yet. I've had no electrical problems as of yet. The paint isn't as scratch resistant as I would like, but what can you do; paint scratches. I grow to like this car more and more over time. The car was perfectly designed for my needs and wants. I thought originally it was maybe overpriced, but out of the many things I've bought and spent lots of money on over the years, the 30K spent out the door is one of the best values and most satisfying purchases ever.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Dang!! This makes me want one.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's a great car, and definitely the best car I've ever bought, and the most expensive too to be fair.

Also, in 2007 Audi took value out of the equation by removing free maintenance from their program. They need to add that back in.
    I have the exact same car except i have the premium package, with 11,000 miles and NO problems as of yet.
    Love it so far!!
    don
    I've got Ocean Blue, premium package, open sky, and a fantastic Audi factory bodykit (not S-Line). No problems, and it's the second-best car I've ever owned, right behind my S4!