Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    kim19kim19 Member Posts: 2
    Ford has a gorgeous bio-diesel minivan being sold only in Europe: http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=22973 Check out the sunroof throughtout, and of course the Captain chairs! The Buick Rendezvous (a crossover SUV) also has a great interior for mom's with kids and their kids friends!

Add some Sienna features for family space use: Removeable Captain chair options.

Add some power: Chevy Tahoe Hybrid; Lexus RX 400HP; Dodge Durango HEV HEMI; Chrysler Aspen HEV HEMI
  • Options
    ramblinman9ramblinman9 Member Posts: 3
    Is the 08 HH built on the Camry or Avalon frame?
  • Options
    jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    It's built on the new Camry platform and is 15 cubic feet bigger inside.
  • Options
    monkeybaronjrmonkeybaronjr Member Posts: 22
    This one can drive the first mile at low speed on electric-only before turning on the gas engine. Right there will save us about 0.1 to 0.3 MPG over our '06.

How far can the Camry Hybrid travel before turning on the gas engine in ideal conditions? What about the Prius??
  • Options
    lynnkushnirlynnkushnir Member Posts: 15
    accessability to the highlander third row by removing 2nd row console certainly enables one to put three young children in the vehicle (three car seats or two car seats and a booster). what the third seat does not allow is leg room for jr high students. this is really not the vehicle for a soccer mom with carpool responsibilities. a sienna awd with hybrid capability would be incredible. can you imagine driving a mini van with the power of a V8 engine,awesome! it's probably around the corner, the technology is certainly there!
    a family vehicle though really does need an mp3, bluetooth and navigation. these items are no longer extravagant expenditures but necessary safety precautions especially when driving long distances with children. but you can't put your children in a substandard hybrid vehicle for the sake of these options either. if leasing the highlander hybrid ltd which comes fully equipped is too costly, lease the regular hybrid highlander (V6, w/ 3rd row seating & AWD) and add just the options you need. the end of lease buy out on any of the lexus or toyota hybrids is still cheaper than what the vehicles will be selling for in three years off a lot, if you can even find one! what about the exterior of the 08 highlander hybrid? is it going to begin to look more like the lexus rx 400h?
  • Options
    cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    Sorry for the confusion.

I have driven a relative's Prius many times, know nothing about the Camry Hybrid, owns the '06 HH.

My comment was about the '06 HH turning on the gas engine for about 30 seconds whenever we turn on the car. If engine is already hot, it will shut off earlier or when it is winter cold, it will run longer. Many of us wish it would stay OFF until we really need the gas engine.

The '08 model seems to have done away with this problem by being able to run on electric-only when you first start the engine. As long as you drive at 25-MPH or lower and there is enough battery charge to push the car along. THat is a nice feature.
  • Options
    The '08 model seems to have done away with this problem by being able to run on electric-only when you first start the engine. As long as you drive at 25-MPH or lower and there is enough battery charge to push the car along

Right, but how far do you think you can go on electric-only? And then how does this compare to the Camry Hybrid and Prius (distance-wise). One can only assume that the Prius can travel much further than the TCH which can go further than the HH. How far for each, specifically, would very worthwhile to know.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    All the time from a cold start the ICE on the Prius and the TCH will turn on about 10 sec after starting. This is to give the battery a boost. Depending on the relative charge on the battery it may shut off 10-30 sec later.

On cold days the ICE runs longer because it has more work to do.

After the initial 'charge up' by the ICE one could drive at a very slow speed for quite a long time;e.g driving around a shopping mall parking lot looking for a space or rolling through your residential neighborhood at <20 mph.
  • Options
    stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Not so. I have the "all electric" option installed. If I force charge the battery to all green bars (by stepping all the way down on the brake and gas for a few minutes)and I drive slowly (less than 25mph), on a flat paved street, the ICE comes on automatically because the battery charge drops to less than half within a half mile (6-8 city blocks). It would also come on if my speed exceeds 32 mph or if I hit the gas hard but I've done this slow, careful test several times with virtually the same result. Part of the explanation for the very short range is the way the 2004 Prius is programmed but the main reason is the very limited capacity of the large traction battery. The idea of a "Plug in Hybrid" like the Prius, at this time is nonsense. A major increase in battery technology would be required. This will happen but it will take years. Energy Conversion Devices (ENER) in which I am a shareholder, claimed to have such a Li-Ion battery but when I volunteered my 2004 Prius, at my full expense, as a test vehicle they declined (at a fairly high management level). The technology, at any cost, is not there yet and when it does get there it will have to be reasonably priced. Greenspan and the other politicians were full of [non-permissible content removed] when they were talking about Plug in Hybrids last summer. I check my information with Amory Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institue. He is an expert in hybrid technology.
  • Options
    HUH???

Well after that long rant ( with which I agree given present technology ) what I wrote is still accurate based on my current 2005 Prius. To be precise when I wrote.."one could drive at a very slow speed for quite a long time" I wasn't talking about miles and miles I was talking more about a half mile to a mile. I do it every evening on the way home, with the out-of-the-box technology currently in the Prius.
  • Options
    I do not know how the '08 will run but we need to be clear with what is meant by "how far" one can drive on full electric. My experience mirror some posted here but also contradicts some posted here.

When we have a full charge (GREEN), and we are on a flat road, and our starting speed is around 45-MPH. I can nurse the car on electric-only for about 1.3+ mile if I am willing to let the speed drop to around 39-MPH. This is the technique we use to maximize mileage. I believe I can make it go as far as 1.5+ mile if we let the speed slowly drop to 35-MPH but unfortunately, at about the 1.4 mile mark is a stop sign.

Momentum at 45-MPH helps to push the car along already and I just boost it with a gentle pressure on the gas pedal to bring in just enough battery power to keep it rolling.

Can the 2008 do the same? I believe it can given Toyota has not announced that it is changing anything except may be the software and the batteries.

Another thing to remember is that full-electric only run is **NOT** necessary to get good mileage. Careful management of speed and driving slower really helps. We have easily achieved 28 MPG so far. 29 MPG once this Summer and 31+ MPG intermediate many times. If not for a steep driveway and hills around here, I think we could easily average 30-MPG in the summer.

Hybrid technology is still new and it reminds me of the old days when we first took to the air. A pilot has to manage a whole host of things in addition to flying the airplane. Same for the HH.

Sorry, too long winded already :).
  • Options
    I have a feeling our host will soon step in to move all this to the MPG thread :).

Anyway, your questions are good ones but may not be applicable to current version of gas-electric hybrids.

There is *NO* clear cut lenght measurements for each car because it depends on many factors. Terrain? Wind? tire pressure? traffic condition? driving techniques? load in the car? speed?

The best I can tell you is to read down to my post in response to stevegold. I shared my experience with how far I can push our HH on full-electric.

I believe we have all the technology necessary to fully automate the HH to run in strict economy mode. The problem is that no one has put together the technology to do all that.

For example, I would love to see use of GPS not just for guidance but for gas savings. Instead of dumbly accelerate to maintain a set speed whenever it hits a little hump on the road, the car can decide how much power to use, base on speed, load and wind resistance and elevation data from GPS. It need not maintain a set speed but to allow variations of up to +5/-5 MPH or as high as +10/-10 MPH in favor of gas mileage. We often drive over little hump and slight speed variations is not a big deal.

The look-ahead collision avoidance detection system can also be used to set safe speed that favors gas economy. Instead of detect and warn, why not detect and adjust accordingly?

The point is that for now, how far you can push a hybrid on full electric requires some flexibility and management on the part of the driver. For someone who truly enjoys driving, it is fun. For someone who just wants to drive, it can be a chore.
  • Options
    So I guess my fantasy of being able to commute 4-6 miles through city-only traffic on pure electric in any of the Toyota hybrids is still a few years off.

On a more related note - what do the "EV" and "ECON" buttons that are found adjacent to the cupholder in the center console in the pics of the 2008 HH do? They don't appear to be seen in any pics of the 2007 HH. Any ideas??
  • Options
    lucy10lucy10 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at purchasing a highlander hybrid AWD and wanting to know if it is worth waiting for the changes on the "08 vs. the "07. I understand that the 08 is on a Avalon fram vs. a camery frame. Anyone have any information? :confuse:
  • Options
    lucy10lucy10 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to purchase a highlander hybrid and want to know if anyone has had problems with the battery failing and needing replacement. What are the costs for this and is it advisable to purchase the extended warranty? :confuse:
  • Options
    ramblinman9ramblinman9 Member Posts: 3
    Depends how long you plan to keep the car.If you trade every 3 years then you don't need an extended W. I don't if the EWs cover the battery
    anyway.
  • Options
    Toyota has claimed that they have NEVER had to do a battery replacement on a single one of their hybrid vehicles. I think this whole "you have to replace the batteries" thing is a bit of a myth.

Toyota warranties the battery system for 100K miles.. there's no need or advantage to buying an extended warranty on a Toyota Hybrid for the batteries.
  • Options
    Depending on where you live the warranty on the hybrid system including the battery pack is either 8 yrs / 100,000 miles or 10 yrs / 150,000 miles!!! Toyota has benchtested the hybrid systems to 180,000 miles ( 20% longer than the longest warranty ) finding no deterioration in the performance of the battery.

Essentially you can rest assured that the battery pack will outlive your interest in that specific vehicle ( 12-15-18 years ? ).

Answer to your first concern. There are a very few isolated instances of batteries having been replaced but not due to failure. All of them to my knowledge have been done under warranty costing the owner nothing. If you ask a Toyota parts store what the cost is the typical answer is $3000 + labor. That's retail. Most stores have an idea because they've had to replace them for vehicles that had to be repaired due to accidents.
  • Options
    The '8 will be bigger than the current model. Think Honda Pilot size. The current hybrid model has some very attractive discounts, rebates or financing options presently. The next model probably will not for a while.

Look at www.toyota.com to see the styling of the new '08.

The new HH will be here in late Sept/Oct. The current model is dated certainly since it first came out in 2002. The same trim levels will be on both models with the same drivetrain 3.3L + HSD.
  • Options
    The Prius is the launch platform for new technologies especially in the hybrid segment and the toy department.

The next Prius with a new power system will be launched in Oct 2008 as a 2009 model. It's expected to utilize Li-Ion batteries being smaller, lighter and more powerful with a new ICE linkage possibly. And what else???

I'd expect the HH and TCH to overlap this by a year or two each before the siblings also get the updated hybrid power system from the Prius.
  • Options
    stanwagonstanwagon Member Posts: 15
    I am close to plunking down a deposit on the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. I own a Prius and love it, and also own a 1994 Ford Explorer, which has gotten me into and out of many difficult situations in rural Colorado and Utah. I know I am giving up some things by switching to the Highlander, since it has no low gearing, etc., compared to the Ford. My concern is how much am I giving up. Will it be adequate in snow on steep roads? THere were some problems with the '07 re. the electronic controls, causing the vehicle to stop moving in some situations. Better tires fixed it for the owner in question, and new controls in the '08 should make this problem go away. And the '07 and '08 seem to have lots of power. But how will they perform on rough dirt roads? Is the HH at least as good as, say, a Subaru Outback which I have seen on very rough roads.

Again, I now I am giving up something, but want to understand how much, and I also want to be certain that the HH can handle Colorado winters in the mountain environment where I live (9500 feet elevation).

On another matter, the dealer said that really one should not use B on the Prius in city driving. I use it all the time as I approach a stop sign or light. Is it somehow inefficient to do so: that is, I save on brakes, but maybe it is causing wear and tear on the "transmission"? Should I use it only on steep hills?
  • Options
    Well, the HH is a car, since it's based on the Toyota Camry. You are essentially getting an AWD car with higher ground clearance.

I don't know how good the AWD system is on the HH but I suspect it is "adequate" for most situations, and a lot of how good it will do in snow will be completely determined by what tires you put on it.

I always run dedicated snow tires on my AWD cars in CO as I live above 6,000 feet and we get a bit more here.

If you have a good AWD system and good snow tires you should get through nearly all situations that don't require "heroic measures" such as trying to brave 30+ inch snow drifts, etc.
  • Options
    Hi, I think I can answer this one because we drive our HH on ranch roads everyday. The '08 should have identical or better capabilities.

I have no experience with ice. We do use snow tires in winter. We also replaced the cheapy squishy van stock tires with truck tires. Good SUV tires will do well too.

Plowed snowy paved road is not a problem. With real-life snow tires (Snow flake on Mtn), it is secure. We have not taken it over deep snow. Patches of 4-inch deep slush on solid base rocky surface is not a problem. Fresh 4-6 inch powdery stuff over solid base rocky surface is OK too. Cuts right through those. For muddy base, please read below.

If you encounter a situation that makes you want to get out to lock the differential, then it is beyond what the HH can handle. As you mentioned, it is not a true 4x4. So when in doubt, we err on the safe side.

On rough dry ranch road where there is dirt, rocks, deep ruts and such, it is no problem. We stack rocks into the ruts or go around. In one place, we have to crawl along at an angle with one side along a slope and no problem.

In muddy soft patches, we use extreme caution. The only mud patch we will drive the HH over must meet two conditions: the mud patch must be small enough to take no more than two tires and the mud depth should not swallow the tire to the rim before fairly solid ground. We also carry along boards and #2 base in case we do get stuck.

There is a difference between rainy wet dirt road and real-life mud patches. Dirt road gets wet and sticky but only in the top two or three inches. The HH has no trouble as long as you have truck tires and go careful. A real mud hole can sink as deep as 10 inches or swallow my ankle, that can get the car stuck. Even our Chevy 4x4 can have trouble with those.

Hope such experiences are useful to you.
  • Options
    Many thanks to the two responders. I think it is worth the risk, and when I know I am heading to a rough 4WD drive road (once every two years) I will use a friend's or rent a true 4x4. The Prius's tires too were crap and we had to change them after about 10000 miles for snow reliability on normal roads. I do note that the max power of the Hybrid is at 1000 rpm as opposed to 4000-4500 for non-hybrid Highlanders and Ford Escape. This sounds like it means more power at low speeds, but I couldn't really detect anything very different on the test drive (on highway). I guess one relies on those computer controls that send power to the wheels when they think it is appropriate, and on the experience one gets. So again, thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    On another matter, the dealer said that really one should not use B on the Prius in city driving. I use it all the time as I approach a stop sign or light. Is it somehow inefficient to do so: that is, I save on brakes, but maybe it is causing wear and tear on the "transmission"? Should I use it only on steep hills?

Yes the dealer was correct. The B is there for only downhill driving so as to avoid having to ride the brakes down a steep grade. When riding the brakes downhill one could send too much Regen back to the battery with no chance to discharge it until reaching the bottom. The HSD system never wants the battery to reach full charge nor anything below 30%. Riding the brakes downhill could overcharge the battery.

NOw using B in the city won't accomplish much. The HSD computer optimizes the charging and discharging between 40% and 80% so trying to 'help' it out by using the B to charge quicker may only get it to discharge faster.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Using "B".

Use of engine compression braking will significantly reduce the level of regenerative braking available for recharging the hybrid battery. Additionally the use of regenerative braking, NOT REAL BRAKING, extends the life of the brake pads dramatically so the use of "B" for this reason is actually counter-productive.

In a nutshell I expect you will be so super disappointed about in the AWD capability of the RXh you will abandon it altogether for winter use.

Do some serious research.
  • Options
    "too much regen" "overcharge the battery"

The hybrid drive control system will start using actual braking long before the hybrid battery starts reaching a point of over-charging.
  • Options
    wwest writes: >>Use of engine compression braking will significantly reduce the level of regenerative braking available for recharging the hybrid battery. Additionally the use of regenerative braking, NOT REAL BRAKING, extends the life of the brake pads dramatically so the use of "B" for this reason is actually counter-productive.

From a physics perspective this seems logical: the energy of the falling car is used in engine-compression braking so there is less energy to charge the battery. But is "significantly" correct? My one experiment is the following:

My house is 750 feet and 2 miles above town. So when I leave my driveway I can go down the (paved) hill in DRIVE, touching the brake occasionally on the way down; or I can go all the way down in B. All I can do is count the bars as they increase from, typically, 2 bars at start to 6 at the bottom. I have detected no difference in the final charge having done this experiment 4 or 5 times in each mode. This is not very conclusive, but appears to argue against the "significantly".

Also, going down to Denver takes me from 11000 feet to 5000 feet (in 45 miles). The charge level is full green most of the last half and it seems clear (as wwest says) that there is some method to prevent overcharging that is independent of whether I am in B or not.

Back to wwest's bottom line: Using B reduces charging efficiency "significantly" and saves brake pads "dramatically". This is what he must mean by "counterproductive". But my read of these two phenomena is that one must understand the exact tradeoff to know how to drive. Down a big hill: Everyone says use B (though the reasons given have differed -- is there not even consensus on this point?). Coming to a stop sign or stop light on flat ground? I am still unclear.

As for "serious research" my best bet surely is to find users in a similar situation, which I am trying to do. A point of agreement is that tires are key. One other point that snow users surely know is that reverse is very weak in the Prius (electric only), so that one must be careful how one parks in a snowy, non-flat area. The Highlander is also surely electric-only in reverse, but the extra HP might help.
  • Options
    We are close to 30K miles now on this car and here are some real-life experience on use of the "B" mode in the HH.

"B" does not work well when car is beyond 60-MPH. We normally coast down to 60 before shifting into "B". Doing so at a higher speed is risky.

"B" does not work well on long steep downhill when car keeps shooting up beyond 60-MPH. We have to use the brakes. This is the one time I wish the HH has something like a "lower" gear.

On downhill, we use "B" for slowing more than for charging.

"B" works fine on city streets to slow the car for turns or stops. We use it all the time as though it is a "stick shift".

"B" is NOT very efficient for charging the batteries at speed below 40-MPH, streets or freeways. But every little bit helps at low speed when use of brakes is impractical.

"B" is usable for charging when the HH can slow from 45-MPH down to lower speed or to a full stop.

For lower speed charging, the most effective is slow long braking or long coasting from 45-MPH.

We have not noticed anything bad using the "B" mode as we do. Mileage does not seem to suffer much, car runs fine. Actually, having the batteries in green more often has helped our mileage because the battery helps to get rolling on city streets before kicking in the ICE. The battery can also boost the ICE during cruising at higher speed.

All in all, not bad. I do wish there is some sort of real-life lower-gear mode for slowing the car physically on long downhill. I also hope the '09 or '10 version can have more efficient charging so the battery can be green more often and kicks in more often to help the ICE along. We may be able to get up to 35-MPG or 40-MPG.
  • Options
    Context is everything...

"one should not use "B" on the Prius for city driving..."

"city driving"

I remain with little doubt that the use of "B" in city driving and/or for slowing and stopping, will DRAMATICALLY reduce the level of regenerative braking available for re-charging the hybrid battery.

Downhill is yet another matter. In that case I'm quite sure that once, if, the hybrid battery is (almost) fully charged the control system will automatically switch to the use of friction braking pretty much exclusively. On a long curving downhill run that might very well result in the brakes overheating and fading, failing.

So in that circumstance it is clearly advisable to use the "B" mode provided we're dealing with a reasonably high traction roadbed. Keep in mind that the anti-lock system cannot overcome braking due to engine compression and thereby keep the front wheels rotating just enough to maintain directional control.

We all know, or certainly should know, that engine compression braking, or for that matter any type of braking, regenerative included, at the front wheels that compromises directional control and/or defeats the anti-lock functionality can potentially be hazardous.

That, safety, is the core value in the US patent recently granted to Ford on this matter.

As for "serious research"....

Yes, tires are "key", but secondary to another more important issue, FWD vs RWD. It is extremely important, first and foremost, that the front tires' roadbed traction coefficient be dedicated to directional control, or at least as much of it as is concieveably possible when circumstances dictate.

And keep in mind that once the Ford patent is licensed and implemented across the industry, as IMMHO it certainly will be, the level of regenerative braking available for FWD or front torque biased AWDs during wintertime cold weather conditions, ~35F and below, will be "significantly" reduced.
  • Options
    Bottom line....

"B" mode should NEVER be used except to prevent brake fading or failure due to prolonged, extended, use of friction braking.

The only reasonable exception would be if the hybrid battery is already at or near a full charge level. Come to think about it shouldn't the hybrid control system, logically, switch to "B" mode anytime the brakes are applied and the hybrid battery is near a full charge?

(But then, like in the Ford patent, it would need to switch it "out" of "B" mode, along with regenerative braking, if ABS were to activate.)

Or is that already being done "behind our backs", without our knowledge, like A/C use in defrost/defog/demist mode?
  • Options
    I had never considered that the friction brakes would/could be activated automatically. But the PRIUS, which I have, is different than the Highlander, which has more automated controls (the Prius has a Vehicle Stability System, but I am not sure that engages brakes -- I think it does not).

One subtle safety point is that B does not turn the brake lights on. In theory it should, to warn the driver behind. (I think I checked this once). So if wwest is right that at some point friction braking gets automatically turned on (in the Highlander) one wonders if the brake light goes on?

The biggest hill around here is from Eisenhower Tunnel to Silverthorne (11150 to 8750) in 7 miles. Charging becomes all green after a few miles. I have never sensed any mechanical braking in the Prius on this stretch, but I am aware that the Highlander controls are much more sophisticated. Whenever the VSC does anything on the Prius a warning squiggle lights up. One would hope the same would be true of the HH...

Like cdptrap I have used B (Prius) in city driving all the time and have not noticed any problems, though I wonder about wear on the mechanism because of using it in situations where it is more or less irrelevant.

As for what wwest said, it was:

"Use of engine compression braking will significantly reduce the level of regenerative braking available for recharging the hybrid battery. Additionally the use of regenerative braking, NOT REAL BRAKING, extends the life of the brake pads dramatically so the use of "B" for this reason is actually counter-productive."

As noted, I see nothing wrong in this assertion (except my own somewhat vague experiment that indicated no recharge difference when using B or not). But it gives little guidance: one can optimize recharge [by not using B] or optimize brake-wear-savings [by using B at every opportunity]. But you can't do both so one must decide in each context... I have been following the strategy of cdptrap in the city (always use B when slowing). I also have 30000 mi on the Prius.

The comment about front-wheel braking is helpful, and indicates that, if one finds oneself going too fast in an icy/snowy situation, one should use the brake (not B), since that will activate ABS (and other control mechanisms?), hopefully addressing the directional-control point raised, while B would just slow down the front wheels, possibly causing difficulties. That is a habit worth developing for those of us with trigger B-fingers.

By the way, the B on the Prius is very easy to use. On the '07 Highlander it is on the stick, and one must press a button to go into it. I found that odd -- I suppose it is to stop people from shifting into it inadvertently, but on the test drive I missed the smoothness of the Prius B-shift mechanism.
  • Options
    wwest: I realize this is a Highlander Forum and I started a discussion of Prius. Is your comment about B being proper only in very special situations directed at both vehicles, or just the Highlander (which has more sophisticated controls). As noted, I just have no sense that the Prius ever kicks in the mechanical brake (in the all-green state). I can't say with certainty that this does not happen as I suppose it could happen very delicately -- I have detected no change in engine noise nor any undue change in speed. But surely if it did it would not be a point of contention...

As for A/C use: On the Prius it took me a few days to figure it out but I think when the A/C setting is turned off then A/C is not being used. That is, I didn't see this as a "behind-the-back" thing, just something I had to pay attention to and turn off when it was inappropriate. Or are you saying that even when A/C button is off, if defrost is on then A/C is being used. (Again, my experience here is with Prius controls, not HH).
  • Options
    Wow, confusion reigns supreme..

My fault...

" I had never considered that the friction brakes would/could be activated automatically."

The context I intended was that if you apply foot pressure to the brake pedal and the hybrid battery is not fully charged the initial braking will be primarily via regeneration. On the other hand if the hybrid battery is already "fully" charged the system will go immediately to friction braking only. If you should apply HEAVY foot pressure to the brake pedal the control system will start bringing friction braking into the "mix". Lead-footed braking will almost always result in such a high level of friction braking that nothing will be "left" over for regeneration.

But, on yet another "hand".

VSC or TC, or VSC/Trac combined, will automatically apply friction braking to maintain stability or prevent wheelspin/slip, and even "un-apply" friction and/or regenerative braking at individual corners to maintain stability.

"..or optimize brake-wear-savings [by using B at every opportunity].."

I suspect hybrid vehicle brake pads already yield quite higher mileage service such that the replacement cost savings from the use of "B" would be miniscule and therefore needless. Especially considering the loss in FE due to the inability to use that braking energy to recharge the hybrid battery.

Again, the only appropriate use of "B" is to prevent brake overheating and possible fading on a long curving downhill run.

"icy/snowy situation"

Back in my days in MT wintertime I often resorted to the e-brake, parking brake, slightly, judiously applied, to "anchor" the rear of the car on a slippery downhill slope.

A/C in defrost/defog/demist mode..

Unless you have had the dealer set the c-best option to other than the factory default the A/C compressor will always run automatically, with no indication to you, in "3D" mode.
  • Options
    I found the Wikipedia entry <<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius/Driving_tricks>&gt; useful and it confirms wwest's view as to the purpose of B.

But the article points out another cute B-use that some of us have probably stumbled into.

"Often you will pull up at a stop light that has just changed. In some suburban areas this may entail a wait of several minutes, as the lights cycle through various simultaneous or sequential left turns, cross traffic, pedestrians, etc. If the gasoline engine is running when you approached the stop it will take the better part of a minute before the computer recognizes the situation and shuts off the engine. There is a trick to getting the engine to shut off promptly. If you approached the stop in B (engine assist braking), you may then when stopped with the brake on, command D (drive) - the engine will stop immediately - at least in 2004 US versions."

I have noticed this too: B will cause the ICE to shut down sometimes even when one is already stopped at a stop light and the ICE is running.
  • Options
    I did a quick experiment yesterday to see "how much" charging happens with "B" versus just normal coasting to a stop in "D".

Assuming the power meter is a reliable indicator of charging activities taking place;
    Assuming the power meter needle dipping into the blue region indicates charging;
    Assuming that the needle dipping lower implies better charging performance than when the needle is higher :)....

The "B" mode from 40-45 MPH will send the needle dipping to the top of the blue region.

The "D" mode from 40-45 MPH keeps the needle sitting just below middle of the zebra region.

Regardless of speed, the "B" mode brings the needle lower than the "D" mode until speed reaches 20-MPH. At 20, both modes have the needle in the same area.

If the needle is simply indicating lack of power output then my theory above falls apart and flat on its face. But if the needle is also an indication of how much charging is happening, then it seems "B" works better than "D" down to 20-MPH on the '06 HH. Will this be the same for the '08? Don't know but it should be as good or better.

When we step on the brakes though, that needle sinks right into blue, so nothing beats using the brakes. Unfortunately, one cannot brake 300-ft away from a stop but one can use "B" :).

Happy "B"-ing :).
  • Options
    peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    "Regardless of speed, the "B" mode brings the needle lower than the "D" mode until speed reaches 20-MPH. At 20, both modes have the needle in the same area."

I want to add to that line.... Below 20 MPH (or at any speed), in B mode you can feel a dragging effect when you release the gas as if the e-brakes are partially engaged or as if a stick shift is selected into a lower gear.
  • Options
    ragrag Member Posts: 5
    I want to thank all those on this forum who helped me with the questions i had about my 06 HH. I finally understood what pulsing and gliding is and my mileage went from 18-20 mpg up to 25-27 mpg. I feel this is fantastic for NYC driving. I used wonder how to keep the battery charged also. Now i believe the goal is not to keep the battery charged. The computer technology does that automatically when needed. It seems to me you actually want the battery to fluctuate up and down which shows you are actually using the electric engine more. This is how you get the gas mileage they promise. If the battery is always charged to the max, you are not using it very much and therefore are running on gas more ofter (worse mileage). This is my recent observation after a year worrying about "keeping the battery charged". Now it goes up to 7 bars and down to 3 bars constantly and my mileage has improved dramatically. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    you really got 27 mpg in city w/ a 7 seater 4x4? and please explain again how you got this mileage, & how do you not charge the battery?
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    He didn't say he doesn't charge the battery. He said he leaves the battery charging up to the vehicle control systems. That makes good sense.
  • Options
    ragrag Member Posts: 5
    Lynn,
    md is correct. You get the best mileage by using the battery to run the electric engine. So when you run down the battery, you have been using the electric motor. A car this sophisticated will charge the battery when it is needed. The key to getting good mileage is fairly simple and toyota should have some instruction for this when you but a $35,000 car. Accelerate to your desired speed fairly quickly (or fast), LET OFF THE GAS PEDAL COMPLETELY, and touch it again gently to go on electric alone. It works best below 40 mph and at fairly steady speeds. It will work at highway speeds if you are going slightly downhill. After letting up on the accelerator completely, just touch it until your power gauge shows the arrow pointing to the wheels and no gas engine is visible. I have been driving for over 35 years and this style was very difficult to learn. But it was worth it. Search this forum for pulse and glide see what you find. Good Luck.
    RAG
  • Options
    After driving for an hour in my Prius resulting in a 'full' charge ;) so to speak I can drive the last 2 miles home at a speed under 41 mph on battery/e-motor alone not burning an ounce of fuel.

In most residential areas the max speed limit is 25 mph so this isn't particularly difficult to do.
  • Options
    stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Are you sure about the distance? I have the "Electric Only" option which has a 32mph upper limit. When I try, on a flat street, the engine comes on before the first mile. I will try it again after fully charging the battery, with the A/C off and see if there is any improvement. My normal mileage is around 45 mpg.
  • Options
    Usually I'm decelerating from about 50ish to a certain stop light whereafter I just glide the rest of the way, ~ two miles. To be accurate from 50ish to under 41 the engine is at idle and is burning some fuel. Under 39 mph a very very light touch can maintain the speed with no input from the engine.

In the residential streets the vehicle will maintain about 20 mph with no input at all except to maintain speed around corners, but it's all electric.
  • Options
    rag, thanx for the advice. planning to lease 07 hybrid highlander this coming thurs when someone mentioned lexus rh 400 is faster. i thought they used the same hybrid technology and engine?what are the differences really?
  • Options
    rturnockrturnock Member Posts: 2
    The difference between U.S. and Cdn list prices for Highlander seem extreme:

Hybrid Limited US$34,610 (C$37,032) C$56,670
    Hybrid US$32,490 (C$34,764) C$44,850

Figues in brackets are exchange rate conversion of U.S. price. Plus in US$ the difference from Camry Hydrid to Highlander Hybrid is US$6,700 whereas in Canada it is C$12,850. IS it possible to buy in the U.S. and bring a car to Canada?
  • Options
    groovologygroovology Member Posts: 24
    Yow. Hard to see where that is fair no matter how you look at it. Being half Canadian, I think in their defense its important to point out that the Canadian prices include your GST, HST, and PST tax, which is now, what... 14% total, so the prices get a little closer to the US since the US prices that don't include tax. It is also possible that there are significant registration / MOT / insurance or other road taxes or fees that have to be paid and get included in the sales price. In the States, you typically have to pay a "license and registration fee" that can amount to a significant chunk of money... it think we paid $300. And there are no insurance costs included in the cost of a vehicle, which is of course a total and complete rip off and can amount to a huge amount of money depending on where you live.

But overall, I'd have to say either your government is adding additional tariffs to imported cars, the price is including your insurance or something like that, the Toyota distributor is marking up the vehicle rather dramatically (middle men distributors often try to get 20 to 30% GM on the products they distribute), or the car market in Canada is just not as competitive therefore there is widespread price gouging going on.

Its a similar situation to what was going on not too long ago in England. The exact same car would cost 50% more in England than in Europe... even with right hand drive... and it wasn't until companies started making a business of exporting English spec cars to the UK from France that the British car dealers got wise to the practice and started competing.

My suggestion is to check with your government over taxes and duties involved in importing a car yourself, and hop across the border and save yourself some money. Of course Toyota may not honor the warranty for a car that is imported into Canada, so you might want to contact Toyota about that, but given how incredibly reliable Toyotas are, I think that's a small risk to take if it means you'll be saving almost C $20K.

Where are all the NAFTA benefits we were all promised? Crazy huh?

Let us know what you end up doing, and share with us any more info as it becomes available. Global pricing is an interesting issue, especially since you have the same access all the car websites that we do!
  • Options
    rturnockrturnock Member Posts: 2
    Nope - The Canadian prices include no taxes - they are all on top of those numbers!
  • Options
    you are 100% correct regarding higher pricing in canada. most people lease in canada so they are not aware of it but for those who are planning to purchase it pays to buy here, especially now with the dollar practically at par. but you cannot cross the border driving a car registered in the states if you have a canadian license. i think the best way would be to have an american friend buy the car for you here, register it and drive it to you in canada and then sell it to you there, where you can do the transfer work at the canadian dmv. check with customs and the dmv. you can definitely save big bux buying your toyota in the states. keep me posted i'm curious. good luck. lynne
  • Options
    hey rag, again i want to thank you because no one ever explained to me so simply 'pulse and glide' and its importance when driving the hybrid highlander. i found the highlander meets my needs better than the lexus because it seats more and costs less. now can you just explain to me why the highlander hybrid is so fast? almost ready to buy, lynne.