Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I have no problem running a locate on vehicles, however, if you want me to go get it, that requires a deposit. I will not use my resources, swap a MX-5 or Mazda3 just to get another Mazda that I do not have a commitment on. Also, on swaps, it costs money to get them. I will not bring in a car, lose money if I do not have a committed buyer.

I will run a locate to see if I can even get the car, or see if I do business with a dealer that has the car the customer wants. I give the customer the VIN once I know I can get it. But, you won't see it until you show me the money.

I guess how I do business is what you would agree to as the customer. Thats what I got from your post.

On a side note, dealers are not swapping Mazda3's right now. Tough to get, dealers have little to no inventory of them. Same for the MX-5 as well.
  • Options
    slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    aviboy97,

What do you think is a reasonable price to ask the dealer to come down to for a mazda 3 i touring with a sunroof/6 cd changer, door guards, and side airbags? I am looking to get around 16,300 otd with my trade in included and was wondering if I should try and go lower or if you don't think I'd be able to swing that.

thanks.

slaterac.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I wanted to know if you thought spending 16.3 for a mazda 3 i touring with a sunroof, door guard, and side airbags is good? That is after my trade in of 2000. Thanks.

slaterac.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    sleterac,

It may or may not depending on if that price includes tax, tag, title, and dealer fees. Can you itemize your deal? Also have you accessed your trade-in at edmunds or kbb.com? Many dealers will give you a low-ball number on your trade-in and you need to negotiate it up.

If you are getting the vehicle at invoice and your dealer fees are low and you are getting a good deal on your trade-in then this may be a good deal :) Also, are you getting a manual or an automatic transmission?

Thanks.
  • Options
    afwejiafweji Member Posts: 8
    Well, I was offered the s touring with automatic transmission for $17,500 at a local dealer. Nothing in terms of options on that car - just the normal s touring. I told him the color wasn't one I wanted (it was like bright red) but I'd take basically any other color he had. Does this sound like a nice price to pay?
  • Options
    afweji,

Does this price include destination? Invoice price (including destination) on an 06 S Touring w/ and automatic (and no other options) is $17904..

If the price you posted includes destination I would jump on it ASAP!

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Good luck.
  • Options
    novabuyingnovabuying Member Posts: 2
    Where at? Which dealer? I'm looking for a 3 right now.

Thx.
  • Options
    Brown's Alexandria Mazda:
    www.brownscar.com

Couple things. I am a returning customer and it took me over a week to get my deal. Also I wanted a manual and told them the only colors I did not want were black and shimmering sand (I ended up getting a loaded Titanium Grey 3i Touring). First I recommend you email their Internet team for a price and they will call you. On my first call they offered me $100 under invoice on any Mazda 3. Keep in mind their processing fees (all of the NOVA dealers charge this) is $289.

Your other option is www.fitzmall.com

They will sell you a 3 at invoice and only charge (by law) $99 for a processing fee. They are great to work with and have a large selection. Only deal is that they are in Maryland.

This is my second vehicle I purchased from Brown's and they are a good dealership. They will play some pricing games, but I'll bet you can pickup the vehicle for $200-300 under invoice if you offer to buy before the end of the month (they really wanted to hit their numbers this month and the sales manager was willing to deal).

Good luck! Keep us posted.
  • Options
    dc_driver,

My deal would include the mazda 3 i touring, sunroof/6 cd changer, door guards, side airbags. My car is worth 2200 on edmunds.com and 2113 on kelley blue book.com. I'd be getting an automatic transmission. I'm going to look at fitzmall.com since I'm in DE and you said that they are in md right? Do you think 16k is too much to ask for otd including my car?

thanks.

slaterac.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Correct - they way you want to handle it is fair.

The problem is when a dealer says - give me $500 and I will TRY and find the car you want - maybe swap with another dealer - see whats available.

That is 100% crazy -

Want to know why I feel the way I do about car dealers?

I was at a Toyota dealer yesterday - wanted to look at a 2007 Camry SE V6 silver/ ash leather- they had this car listed in their on line inventory - the sales person I talked to (on the phone) before going to the dealership told me it was still on the lot - as I pull up I see the car - silver / ash leather drive away - still had dealer plates in the window - I thought someone else was taking a test drive.

The same sales guy I talked to on the phone told me - he must have made a mistake - Toyota does not make a Silver SE V6 with ash leather - I pull out the print out - with the car showing the dealership name - then he says - OH that car - we had it - but it IS ILLEGAL for him to sell it in Texas - or anywhere in the Gulf states region - said they had to ship that car to Colorado! Where they could legally sell that color combo!

But he could show me a 2007 Camry SE silver with charcoal leather - I took a test drive - nice car - much better than I expected - way better than the 2007 4 banger Camry LE I drove on Friday- but I don't want another car with a dark colored interior (the AC issue!)

I told him I would not but a car with dark leather - so I was going to keep looking - he said - its almost lunch time - why not drive the car to lunch - just you and your wife - take it for a long test drive - make sure it is not what you want.

I thought - why not - sure - give me the keys -

He came back with a "standard form" all I needed to do was sign it and I could "take a long test drive & have a nice lunch"

The form said - buyers agreement on the top - it was a full page of type written junk - it said I agreed to buy the car as long as the dealer found someone to finance me (I am paying cash - no trade) - if I did not buy the car - or they could not find anyone to finance the car - I had to pay damages - UP TO THE FULL MSRP VALUE of the car".

I told the guy - no way I will sign this - he said - all it says is if you wreck the car you must pay us for the damage. No where on the agreement did it say anything about damage - I can read - we left - I will never buy from these guys.

I would hope that even if someone was dumb enough to sign this agreement it would be hard to actually enforce it - but I am sure many just sign and drive to lunch - when they get back the fun starts.

Anyone want to guess what happens if you give these guys a deposit? How do you think that would turn out?
  • Options
    slaterac,

Where you looking for a manual or automatic Mazda3?

If it were a manual, invoice on the car should be $16,720. I think I remember you saying you had a $2000 trade. What is the tax rate where you live?

If this were a deal in CT, this is how the invoice deal would pan out:

$16,720 (price of car)
    $2000 (trade)
    $120 (sales tax savings)
    $895.32 (sales tax 6%)(DOC and Lemon Law subject to tax)
    $95 (Transfer reg)
    $199 (DOC fee)
    $3 (CT lemon law)

$15,912.32 Total out the door.

Now, I don't know what your tax rate is, dealer fees or DMV fees are. Let know and I can calculate an out the door invoice deal for you. It's up to the dealer to accept it. I know I am not taking invoice deals on Mazda3's, we do not have many left until MY 07 come out.
  • Options
    wdreamwdream Member Posts: 2
    Any help would be great..

I am currently in talks and the price I have come across was 21000k (CDN) taxes everything in, included my Olds as the 220 trade in,. I am looking at the 06' :blush: Mazda 3 GS edition, Auto, AC, Power Package and just wanted to get a feel for the price I have been offered so far...Thanks....Planning on getting this car sometime soon
  • Options
    aviboy97,

I'm looking at an automatic, mazda 3 i touring, sunroof/6 cd changer, door guards, side airbags. I live in Delaware so there is no sales tax. Thanks for all your help.

slaterac.
  • Options
    slaterac,

I think you got quoted way too much! Invoice on the vehicle is about 17,578 (including destination) for the options you listed. What is the dealers processing fees and tag and title fees?

With you trade in, I would be shocked if you paid more than 15,700-15800 unless the other fees are high.
  • Options
    Yeah well that quote was an online quote, which happens to be my best so far at 17950. However, I haven't tried to "wheel and deal" with the dealership yet. You are right that invoice in 17578 and with the taxes and everything it would be around 18400 or so I think. I'd be asking them to drop the 400. If I could get 15.7k or 15.8k I'd jump on that right here right now. I thought I'd jump at 16k too.

slaterac.

p.s. I have the luxury of time as well if you think there would be rebates and incentives when the new model years come out.
  • Options
    I don't work in the car business, but I can tell you that the 06 Mazda 3's at the dealer I purchased from were selling fast. I would be surprised with regards to rebates and incentives for the 06 Mazda 3 unless there is a surplus inventory. The fact of the matter is that high gas prices are really helping to sell cars like the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Honda Fit, etc.

You could wait to see if your local dealers reduce the prices on the 06 3's when the 07's get there, but then you could be stuck trying to find the exact options and colors that you want.

Try giving the lowest bidders a call and explain what you are looking for. I'll bet they will deal if you call them in the next couple days since it is end of month. The dealer I bought from came down pretty quickly from their original quote once they realized I was serious.

Obviously your other option is fitzmall.com in Maryland. They will have no problem (call ahead) with an out of state purchase (you will not have to pay Maryland sales tax). Again, I would suspect that your dealer would match them (they sell at invoice with a $99 processing fee)...
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    For whatever it is worth, I had a chance to confirm it with a dealer yesterday. The Mazda3 has never had a general incentive on it. You might be able to bargain better on a 2006, but the cost difference shouldn't be too big compared to a 2007.
  • Options
    I'll look at fitzmall again but I wasn't too sure about their website. If they sell at invoice plus the 99 process fee then the tax, title, and licensing fees right? If I get out of work before the dealer closes tonight I might be able to go and see what the lowest price they could give me otd would be. Again, the place that I am looking at around here is quoting me at 18.3k and I've got a better deal somewhere else so they would have to beat that to keep my business unless they want to offer a lower otd price. I think 16k would be great. dc_driver, aviboy97 do you have any numbers that say I should hope for lower? I'm not going to tell them the price I am thinking I'm just going to go in and see what the lowest otd price they can offer me and say that need to go lower or say it's a deal. Is that how I should approach it?

slaterac.
  • Options
    First of all, I always negotiate the price of the car I want to buy first before I negotiate my trade-in.

If you already emailed as many dealers in your area, I would not drive down first to talk to them. I would call the top couple dealers on the phone first and tell them that you are serious about buying a Mazda 3 in the next 24 hours and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Ask them for their best price over the phone and have them tell you what the car will cost out the door (dealer, titling fees, etc).

If you use invoice price ($17508 I think it was) as your barometer, then you should do well if they give you at, near, or below that price. Since you do not have a sales tax (lucky), you then just need the dealer to breakdown their fees. Assuming you can get $2K for your trade-in that should put you (most likely) below $16K..

I have used this method for my last five vehicle purchases and have never paid over invoice. This depends on your patience, number of dealers in your immediate area, and inventory. If you are only talking a few hundred $'s between Delaware and Maryland dealers, it may not be worth your time to drive to MD. But if you can save more than $400-500 I would think it is worth it :)

BTW, from my understanding (several co-workers bought there) fitzmall will usually give you full KBB trade-in value for your car (assuming it is in good condition, etc).
  • Options
    dc_driver,

Are you saying I should pay invoice with the dealers fees, etc. at 17509 or add on the fees? I think I can work something around 16k. Please clarify my confusion. At invoice, with the dealers fees, etc. it would be around 18.3k otd without negotiation besides the invoice price. I want it to be the lowest possible obviously. If you could clarify the point of 17508 that would be most helpful. I will call the top three people and let them know my interest but I first need to apply for a loan so I might have to wait until tomorrow or friday.

slaterac.
  • Options
    slaterac,

I'm getting $17,530 for invoice.

$17,530 (invoice)
    $2,000 (trade allowance)
    $200 (dealer fee/registration)

would put you at $15,730.

I would say, based on these numbers, $16,000 would be fair. But, remember, it all depends on dealer stock, and local availability.
  • Options
    Sure, 17509 includes the invoice price of the car and the destination. Any other fees are after that price. Also, your 2K trade in is not included in that price. When I was quoting you 16K that was including your trade-in and assuming the additional fees are less than $500.

As for a loan, do you belong to a credit union? They typically have low rates. I am not sure what Mazda finance's rates are right now as I paid cash for my 3...

here is a site that might help:
    www.bankrate.com

They will give you some ballpark numbers for auto loans in your area. Usually, the dealer will match your local banks prices.

Good luck and keep us posted! You will love the 3!
  • Options
    I have a rate of 6.25% from my bank. I would have to negotiate a deal with the dealership before I get a loan, right? I test drove the 3 for the weekend and took it all over the state. I loved it. It really has great performance and the gas mileage was about 27-29 with my girlfriend and I in the car with the a/c on or the windows down. I didn't think that was too bad considering the fact the car only had 2000 miles on it. Let me know about the loan thing. If the dealership matched the rate I could go with them. I may go tonight but I doubt they will have the exact car that I am looking for. The side airbags are a must have. At 16k total I would jump on that with no hesitation, although I might see if they are willing to go lower than that.

slaterac.
  • Options
    hi2ux4hi2ux4 Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    I am interested in a 2007 or 2006 Mazda 3 i Touring manual tranny w/ bose+monroof package, and side airbags. I am just wondering what a fair price would be for this car? $17,000 w/o tax, fees, etc.?
    :shades:
    Also, when do the 2007 models come out? Thx
  • Options
    I heard the 07's are coming out in September (someone please correct me if I am wrong). As for the price of the above car, the invoice price is:
    $17,450 (with the above options you listed plus automatic transmission and destination)
    $16,640 (wiith manual tranny and destination)

You should be able to get very close to invoice pricing (depending on how many dealers are in your area, inventory, etc). BTW, there does not appear to be a Bose package for the 3i Touring. Just a moonroof/6 CD option.

Good luck!
  • Options
    soj644soj644 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove a Mazda3 this weekend and loved it, with just the base options. I've paged through the forums but I don't see anyone who had just got the base i model. I was offered 100 above invoice for 12948 in the North Carolina area. Is that a good price or can I get a better deal.
  • Options
    "Are you saying I should pay invoice with the dealers fees, etc. at 17509 or add on the fees?"

Since there is no difference between the dollars you spend for the car & the dollars you spend on the fees what good does it do to treat them as separate charges?

I think dealers WANT you to look at it this way. Helps them close the sale - because it makes the customer think the price is lower than it really truely is.

Many people would feel great if they could tell their buddies - I bought this car for $300 UNDER invoice. But they would not tell them they paid a $250 doc fee - plus a $450 advertising fee - and maybe they even agreed to pay a finance reserve fee of $200 (Toyota just tried this with me). Plus some dealerships do NOT including the destination charge into their price quotes - but of course they don't tell you that - so add in another $500 for destination! It does not sound quit as good of a deal if you say - I payed $1,100 OVER invoice does it? ($250+$450+$200+$500-$300) But that is the way I look at the price paid.

One of the main things you need to know is what the price you get from one dealership has included in it - and what other charges will be added in later - other wise you can not compare the price between two dealerships.

Not all Mazda dealers will always charge the same fees - in some areas they may be the exact same amounts - but either way you still need to know what the are.

I always ask - what is all included in the price - and what will be added in later?

The difference in fees between two different brands (like Mazda VS Toyota) can be huge!

BTW - almost everyone will agree that the destination charge is valid - but that does not mean that it should be added in to the price AFTER you negotiate the deal. Just like every other charge - you must know if the price quote includes it or not.
  • Options
    That's some great advice z7bill. Thanks. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, they called me about 15 minutes ago to see where I stood. I'm going to talk with them and hopefully I can walk out of there with a car for 16k. Since the dealer allowed me to take the car for the weekend I think I should give her the chance to beat the prices that I have been quoted elsewhere, even if the prices may not include everything at the other places. This way he knows I've done my research and that I will not pay over 16.3k for the car otd. And that if I'm going to pay 16.3k I want some things thrown in there that I wouldn't get on my own, like the all weather floor mats, cargo net, etc. The things that don't really cost them anything.

slaterac.
  • Options
    soj644,

That is invoice price +$100, but, less destination of $560. Also, that is without A/C, which is $757. I see you live in NC, are you sure you want to be with out A/C?? If you did get A/C, your real price before tax/title/reg/dealer fee's is $14,265.
  • Options
    cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
  • Options
    Hi All,

I'm in the Market looking at the Mazda 3's for my parents and wondering on Invoice Pricing for the Mazda 3 S edition with Automatic Tranny, Side and Curtain Airbags, Rear Spoiler and Leather Seat upgrade.

And Also Invoice Pricing for the S Grand Touring with an Automatic Tranny.

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    cschneider3,

To get leather in a Mazda3, you have to get either the Touring or Grand Touring. If it is the Touring, you must also have the moon roof/6CD package.

Invoice on Mazda3 s Touring Auto: $17,904

Side airbags/side air curtains are standard.

With leather and rear spoiler and moon roof/6CD player it is $19,476.

On the Grand Touring, invoice is $19,350

With the BOSE audio/ moon roof package, $20,498

Add the rear wing spoiler, $20,798

P.S. If you have the dealer add the rear wing spoiler, it is $388, dealer cost, not $300, like from the factory.
  • Options
    What about Invoice Price on the Mazda 3 S? We may do leather interior afterwards.

Thanks for the help though!
  • Options
    nakulnakul Member Posts: 1
    Just drove my new Mazda3 off the lot at the Folsom Imports dealership - Folsom, CA. Had a great buying experience with the Fleet Manager Paul Lazar. He was straight up and talked invoice right from the start. He made his 100 bucks over invoice and I walked out a very happy camper.

Spec:
    Mazda3 i Touring
    5 speed
    Moonroof pkg
    ABS/SAB pkg

Invoice: $16,800
    OTD: $18,600 incl gap insurance

I highly recommend this dealer to anyone living in the Sacramento area.
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    P.S. If you have the dealer add the rear wing spoiler, it is $388, dealer cost, not $300, like from the factory. "

Or if you trust yourself to measure and drill 4 holes in your trunk lid, you can get an aftermarket one that's an exact perfect paint match for $123 delivered on ebay. I did it and it took 40 minutes - no one would know it wasn't stock
  • Options
    Congrats nakul!

That sounds like my car exactly except I added a few more accessories.

What color did you get?

Zoom, zoom...
  • Options
    Well, I just got the following deal. How's this sound to everyone? I hope it's a good deal:

Mazda3 s Touring (4 door)
    Automatic Transmission
    6 CD Changer/Moonroof Package
    (No other options)

There were only two miles on the car before our test drive, so we were very happy with that. Cost us $18300 (after college student rebate). How's that sound? Thanks guys!
  • Options
    nomis89nomis89 Member Posts: 3
    I got offered $18,500 OTD for:
    -Silver I-Touring Mazda3
    -4-Speed Sport A/T
    -ABS/SAB
    -Moonroof/6CDchanger
    -Wing Spoiler
    Anyone think I can get a better deal?

Invoice is approx. $17,750
    MSRP is approx. $19,110
  • Options
    OTD = out the door normally includes all amounts you will pay - even sales tax, license, state inspection and title transfer fees.

If it is a true OTD deal it would be hard to say - because sales tax - and all the rest - are so different between states.
  • Options
    Yes 18,500 is final price including all taxes/fees.
    Is it a good offer, or do any of you think I can get a better deal? Thanks.
  • Options
    jamison1jamison1 Member Posts: 4
    on this last day of the month i just bought the 3i touring sedan with manual, abs/sab option package, & wheel locks.
    MSRP $16985
    Invoice $15907
    Edmonds TMV $16319
    I paid $16200

Now i just need to go to DMV and pay TT&L.
    I am happy with the deal. Worked with Internet sales guy at Santa Fe Mazda in New Mexico and quick in and out. Paid cash.

Using internet to get quotes from multiple dealers and use phone to show you're serious is much better than going to dealerships and dealing with salesmen on the floor.
  • Options
    If that price includes destination ($560), I would say that you did great. It is not often that folks pay under invoice on these cars.

Enjoy your new wheels!
  • Options
    In houston - with 6.25% sales tax, and around $180 in license / inspection and title fees - that would be about $500 under invoice - which is good.
  • Options
    That does include destination charge. We actually came in with just the regular s Touring with no upgrades in mind, but it looks like we came out pretty well this time around. I think it's because they were looking to get rid of some more cars because it was the end of month, a few hours before the place closed for the night. This seems to be a really good time to go get a car in the future.

Thanks and see u guys on the road!
  • Options
    Just bought a Mazda3 S Touring GT with:

-Moonroof, 6-CD & Bose Audio Package
    -5-Speed Sport A/T
    -Rear Wing Spoiler
    -Compass & Autodimming Mirror w/Homelink
    -Door Edge Guards
    -Moonroof Deflector
    -Cargo Net
    -Wheel Locks

MSRP = $22,865
    Invoice = $21,182

Took it OTD(tax/fees included) for $22,700.
    Did I get a good deal?
  • Options
    msp1986msp1986 Member Posts: 7
    Bought mine at Classic Mazda in Orlando, FL. I got the Mazda 3i MSRP for $16,485, Invoice at $15,347 for $14,435 about 900 BELOW INVOICE. That included everything even the dealer free! Anyone getting that type of deal?

Micah
  • Options
    tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    Autobarn Mazda in Countryside, IL has offered me a silver Mazda 3i with a/c and manual transmission for $13,990 +t.t.l., which according to the dealer is $15,320.93 out the door. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    That is one of the best deals I have seen. The dealer must have really needed to hit a certain number or had an incentive of some kind, otherwise he lost money on the deal.

Did you have a trade-in?
  • Options
    tanchyk2000tanchyk2000 Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like a good deal but what kind of options does the car have? I got Mazda3i Touring with manual, ABS/curtain airbags package, dealer tinted glass, wheel locks for $16900 OTD. Invoice was $16150, MSRP - $17145. It took me like 3 hours of negotiations but it was worth it. And the good part is - no money down and no traid-in (I prefer to sell my old cars myself - why do I have to sell them to dealer for half price?) + 5.6% APR.
  • Options
    We are advertising the base Mazda3 i 5-speed for $13,990 in our local paper, before ttl/reg/dealer fee.