Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    vj33vj33 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking in San Diego as well. Is 2150 off invoice include 1000 incentive?

Looking for 09 GT Auto. I have not found any 08's (better financing deals)
    On first pass of email quotes i have not gotten even 2k below invoice. Should I look to OC or LA dealers as well?

I get better price if i pay cash, but I want 2.9 x 60months.

What price should I be looking for?
  • Options
    nazrafelnazrafel Member Posts: 4
    You should look in LA too if you want a new 08 GT Auto- there's a bunch up here. The GTs might be harder to get at 2k below invoice- they didn't seem to order too many of them- i tourings should be around 2k or so off invoice.
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Sound like a deal to me.They do have a thousand dollar incentive if your financing. Also, isn't Obama giving a tax break too. I think you should check on that. :shades:
  • Options
    Best I have got for GT with no options is 1350 below invoice. What dealer are you working with?
  • Options
    silejaysilejay Member Posts: 1
    hey you guys i know this is the wrong forum but there isnt a price paid in the speed3 forum so i need your guys' opinion about pricing.

i live in L.A. cali and im in search of a basic speed 3 no options. Tmv states that invoice should be $21,956 and that people are paying $22,548

i got a couple quotes for the base speed3 s from galpin mazda in van nuys and star mazda in glendale.

galpin claims to be offering me s-plan discount equivalent with the price of $22,480 before taxes

star offered me $22106 with im guessing a $500 rebate $21606 before taxes off the bat. i know i can get galpin to beat it but are the numbers around the price i should being paying in this state?

and also speed3's apr rates are apparently locked at 5.9-7.9. has anyone seen lower in california and would it be possible to get a lower rate even if the dealers say its locked?

responses are appreciated!
  • Options
    kle1kle1 Member Posts: 8
    Hey silejay,

I shopped for the same car you did in February and Oak Tree Mazda (San Jose, CA) offered me "$20,988 plus tax, license and documentation" off the bat. I'm not sure how much they want for documentation, but I'm sure this is negotiable as well as the price.

You are correct about Mazda not giving any special financing. Which is why I didn't buy the car. I ended up buying a 2009 Civic Si for 20,200 with 2.9 financing for 36 months with Honda financing. If I were you, I would get financing through a local credit union or Penfed (3.99%). It'll cost you 20 bucks to join Penfed. https://www.penfed.org/howtojoin/overview.asp (option 7).
  • Options
    tmorr42tmorr42 Member Posts: 10
    Sorry never priced a speed 3 BUT I can tell you that TMV on the 08 Mazda 3 I purchased in Jan 09 was way higher than I paid.
    MSRP $20,050
    INV $18,400
    TMV $19,200

I paid $17,700 plus Tax & Tags. I found out a few weeks later that my deal was just OK, not great. TMV really screwed me up during negotations. Best way to get best price is to get at least 4-5 prices from different dealers. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Your post is right on the money. Don't go by the TMV or what others are paying.
    The dealers love to see you walk in with Edmunds prices . I always believe MSRP is a made up figure. If your shopping and have cash,I do 10 or so internet deals.The dealers are on Edmunds all the time.
    I went to a Mazda dealer for an I new value and he was a friend and he said,I'll sell it to you for 4% over invoice. I took his price and faxed it to another dealer. . . He e-mailed me back saying I have the same car on lot.I can do $700.00 better. Also, it had a rear lip spoiler and moonroof.So on and on it went for a month. I ended up going 125 miles away save alot.
    With this economy I bet in May you can get a GT HB S 09 for 4.5K cheaper than now. There will be a slew of cars . People are fixing their cars ,just like going to a shoe cobbler for heels and soles.
    My friend went to fighting Chance .com and told him what he wanted and how far he'd go to pick it up and saved 2k and paid a fee to them. :shades:
  • Options
    sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    2009 Mazda 3i Touring Sedan, manual transmission
    Added: tainted windows on all 4, plus back.
    Added: Spoiler

After $1,000 rebate applied, Final Price = $16,000 before trade-in.
    What do you think? Is this a decent price?
  • Options
    psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    After 11 years I have returned to Mazda, trading our 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L for a Mazda 3 s Sport hatch 5-speed manual (no add-ons). I feel YEARS younger again! :-)

I paid $750 on top of the value of the trade-in (basically the cost of tags and license and their insipid doc fee...)
    I am really enjoying driving again. I was always very concerned with fuel economy driving the minivan, so much so that I drove it like a grandma (rarely accelerating to more than 2500rpm). Driving in that manner would net me 21-to-22mpg on average...

I was shopping the Mazda 3 hatch, Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and VW Rabbit S Sedan.
    The Rabbit S sedan was the most expensive to buy (too many things optional) and to run (maintenance costs). It did drive very nicely, since it had the biggest engine and the most power on tap, though it was also the heaviest and didn't "feel" fast. Weight was a factor as was the tranny, slick shifting, but the gear ratios felt mismatched (car seemed to run out of power in high rpm). Cornering was flat, turn-in crisp, and the chassis decently well sorted out. The interior was nice too, materials felt thick and substantial, and tightly fitted and controls moved smoothly. Eliminated for excessive cost and boring styling.

The Lancer GTS was the least expensive to buy (base version with no add-ons) and likely to run (based on past experience with the brand), not to mention the most aggressive-looking. The 2.4l is lively, both in character, and in performance. The car felt the fastest, partially due to the raspy engine, but also thanks to the very well matched 5-speed manual. RPM's were a bit high at 65mph however, and interior noise levels probably the highest of the three. Further, the interior materials felt the thinnest and sounded a touch hollow (though the interior is not as horrible as many make it out to be). Controls were fine, though the HVAC felt a tad unrefined with its clicking sound. Excellent driving experience overall. Chassis was very tight and well-sorted, turn-in was crisp with little body-roll, and handling only limited by the squealing and inadequate OEM tires... Trunk was a major concern. I was hoping the Sportback would be available earlier... Eliminated for lack of utility.

The Mazda 3 ended up being the package best suited for my needs. Rev-happy and characterful engine (one of the best-sounding 4-cylinders out there, IMO), well matched and geared to its 5-speed tranny. The most trunk space of the cars compared. A good quality interior right in-between the other two (layout is a bit busy though). Great driving experience, crisp turn-in, well-sorted chassis, taut but not too stiff ride, and good acceleration (lacks just a bit at high revs) thanks to the lowest weight. I also like the styling (not too fond of the 2010), the standard HID's, and the excellent factory stereo.
  • Options
    dd123dd123 Member Posts: 53
    I am tempted to buy very strippped down mazda-3-2009/5 speed manual/i-sports.
    The lowest quote I got is 13,854 ( i hope it is with desitnaiton). No options except AC.

Not sure if htere would be deals around after sometime. I can afford to wait as I am in no need of a car at all right now.
  • Options
    Mazda has 1000 cash incentive and special financing right now (until 3/31/09), but the activity here is pretty light. Does than mean all the Mazda3's 09 are gone? No one is buying anyway. Or prices will continue down and people are waiting for better price. I myself have not been givem an email quote that is worth pursuing yet. I am thinking (hoping) April will bring new incentive and offers from other manufactures. Still seems to be a lot of 09's out there for April. Or maybe we are waiting for the good deals on the new 2010's that no one will be buying either???
  • Options
    mujahidmdmujahidmd Member Posts: 21
    I checked mazda's site and they are offering 0.9 percent on the 2008 models plus 1000 cash back is there any way to get them to bump that down to 0.0 percent?
  • Options
    Does not really matter since (in So Cal.) I have not found many (or any) Mazda3 08's. Unless deals have removed them from inventory lists somehow.

Rates should continue to drop and my bet is April deals will be better.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Its catch 22. If you wait, you are risking of losing options. There were only two 2009 3i Touring manual transmission in the color I wanted (I always drive manual, don't like automatic) when I purchased mine this past weekend. But if you don't care as long its a 2009 and prior, you might find one. 2009 is exactly the same as 2008, but you get more for your money.
  • Options
    IS there anyway i can have the dealer offer me 0 percent for 60 months?
  • Options
    Mujahidmd,
    You might, but they might ask you to pay $1,000 - $1,300 on the car, that's how it usually works. But if you have other Mazda dealers to go to, you can try to get up and walk out and be firm that if they give that to you, you will buy from them.
    Worth a shot.
  • Options
    zar1zar1 Member Posts: 24
    The Mazda financing is fixed but why get hung up on .9% vs. 0%? The difference in monthly payments on a 60 mos. loan for $16K is $6.14/mo. If the loan amt. is $20K the difference is $7.68/mo. This is certainly not worth giving up the $1000 cash back offer. If the monthly difference is really an issue, a better approach might be just negotiating the purchase price down by a like amount.
  • Options
    The only reason i want 0 percent is becuase iam Muslim and we dont believe in interest. Unless you have no other option for example buying a house. But ta car isnt that important.
  • Options
    mazdamom2mazdamom2 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a new 2008 S Sport Hatch Auto, only extra option was crystal white mica paint. Paid $17,100 OTD cash. Was surprised to find it on the lot, had a sticker just over 20. Have found that not all dealers have put all there cars on inventory lists, sometimes they don't even know what they have especially at the large mega dealerships.
  • Options
    mujahidmd,
    You've got me there, I'm not all that familiar with Sharia and Riba interpretation but respect your religious conviction. I guess there's also the leasing or $2500 cash back option if you can't get the 0%. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    That sounds like an awesome deal. The wife has an '05 silver S which has gobs of power when needed...it's a hoot to drive. Did sit in a '08 S version today at my Honda dealer and like the subtle interior changes done on the '07 and up models...more fake aluminum used and looks very nice. She's getting antsy for a new ride and am hoping she'll wait a bit until the 2010 model has been out awhile. The reliability has been great with the '05 though.
    Enjoy!

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Here is the car config I have:
    2009-mazda3-i-sports with AC as only option

My OTD is: 15200 in Socal. Red mica in color. I really wanted hachback but concerned about MPG

Is it a decent deal ?
  • Options
    The i doesnt have power doors or windows dd123. I think you can you get the to give you a lower price check around with other dealers email all them and see whats the lowest price you can get
    @zar1 thanks
    Also mazdamom 2 you got a great deal
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    There's a real simple way of avoiding interest; pay cash for the car. ;)
  • Options
    Yeah but not all of us have money like that shipo
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The thing is, if you aren't willing to pay interest, then the only way to buy a car is to pay cash for it. Period, full stop, the end. Yeah, I know that some manufacturers are advertising 0% interest, however, all that really means is that you're paying the interest up front, or, said another way, it's a financing gimmic. The truth of the matter is that it costs money to borrow money, and somebody has to pay for those costs (i.e. the borrower).

Case in point, when I bought my car in November, I was given the following three options:

- 0.0% interest for 36 months
    - 3.9% interest for either 48 or 60 months
    - An additional $500 off the car if I paid cash

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I'm sure that if you tell the dealer finance person that you can't pay interest (and the reason), they can buy the interest rate down to 0%...

Of course, the price of the car will be higher to compensate for that, but you'll achieve the "letter of the law", if not the spirit in which it was intended.

Which, if my limited understanding of Islamic law is correct, will be all you need. You can't be the first person with this dilemma, I don't imagine.

regards,
    kyfdx
    host-prices paid forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kifick,Mujahidmd, I think the lady is right. :sick:
  • Options
    Yup! :shades:
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Why would one object to paying 15000 for a car at $300/mo with a 5.1% figure on a piece of paper vs paying $18000 at 300/mo with a figure of 0% on a piece of paper? You're paying 3000 or whatever for the use of money no matter what.

One can only get around it by saving (in a non interest bearing account?, no bonds either?) for years and buying the item outright. (losing money due to inflation the years you are saving)

In theory, I believe it is forbidden to look at a women's ankle, (there are lots in western countries) and even be amongst infidels in the first place. (Being in the US full of christians, agnostics etc and participating in our economy) This depends on how severe an interpretation of Islamic law you want to hold.

Pay the interest on the car and house (you are anyway) and look at fewer women's ankles.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    sarahblaissarahblais Member Posts: 2
    I was looking at the Mazda dealership in Van Nuys this weekend, with the S plan pricing (my dad is a contractor for Ford, so we can use Ford's X plan pricing) the dealer said the price on a 2009 S Sport Sedan with Automatic transmission would be around $17,800 - $1,000 cash back incentive - $400 additional cash back incentive for S plan. And they also have a current financing offer of 2.9% for 60 months. Does this sound about right?
    I wanted to look at the 2009 i Touring, but he said that they didn't have any left in stock. Does anyone know what the S-plan pricing should be on the Touring?
  • Options
    mazdamom2mazdamom2 Member Posts: 2
    I dont' know about CA but in NJ you can get an i touring auto for the mid 14's + tax +tags if you pay cash and are ready to deal. Maybe even better with the month end approaching. The minute you add in the financing the price goes up. You might find it is slightly cheaper to not take the Mazda financing if you can get a good rate somewhere else and then get the cash price. Good luck.
  • Options
    lumenglumeng Member Posts: 1
    model:
    2009 Mazda3 s Sport 5-door (hatchback)

features:
    * 5-speed auto transmission
    * 156-hp 2.3L 4-cylinder
    * color: black mica
    * moonroof/6cd package
    * compass/autodim mirror
    * rear bumper guard

buying location: Peoria, Illinois

salesman is offering MSRP $21085

Is this reasonable ?

How much MSRP is reasonable ?

Should I request a manufacturer to customer rebate on this model ?

Thanks!
    Mike
  • Options
    ecnelovecnelov Member Posts: 10
    that's the same car i got two months ago, but i also got a remote starter for OTD 20,700.. just so you know
  • Options
    I don't think it is. The car is a year old.I'd tell him you want to pay 1k less.
    Also, if you pay a sales tax,dealer doc umentation and title fees. no rebate ,no deal for sure there are pleny of 2009 S Sport HB's Try to find a S HB Grand touring. They are practically all gone.
    The 2010 prices are hard to deal with, especially on the S models,but I think in late April and May is the time Mazda will bargin. Good luck! :shades:
  • Options
    nik999nik999 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to pick up a 2009 Mazda3 hatchback s Sport with no extra options (should I consider any?) around Pittsburgh. Emailed various dealers, and have consistently gotten back the answer that they'll do "invoice" minus the current incentives (which are apparently either $1500 off or $1000 off plus 0% for 36mo) plus taxes and tags. However, the actual "invoice" price has been quoted at anything from 18964 to 19420, and when I look online I am seeing "invoice" quoted from 17446 (yahoo!) to 18332 (vlane.com).

What do you think would be a good price for this car? I'd like to buy this weekend as my current hand-me down car is on its last legs, but could possibly wait if things are going to get better. Any tips (I'm a first-time buyer!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    vovanivovani Member Posts: 7
    If I were you and had a very good credit score, I would try to pay no more than $17K (inclusive of any incentives) before TTL and get 0% for 36 months as part of the deal. The OTD should be just slightly more than $18K... I think this is very doable especially if you are willing to expand your search area to Cleveland or Columbus etc.

For your reference, I paid $18K OTD and got 0% for 36 months on Mazda3 HB S Touring (which is at least $700 higher than Sport), no extras. This was about 2 months ago (near end of the month) at a high volume dealership in SW Ohio.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    iwannamazda3iwannamazda3 Member Posts: 2
    You should consider going up to the S Touring to get the Dynamic Stability Control. It's really a worthwhile safety feature which will be required in all new vehicles by 2012.
  • Options
    nik999nik999 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, you've both convinced me that I should be getting an S Touring, the stability control looks really important. Given that, do you have any tips on how I can get a price similar to Vovani's? I'd be willing to drive to Cleveland/Columbus for that kind of savings. Did you find dealers online through Mazda's website and email them a target price, or wait for their quotes? What kind of a target should I be looking for for the hatchback S Touring? Thanks much!!!
  • Options
    gamerguy73gamerguy73 Member Posts: 13
    Very happy to have bought a 2010 M3 4 dr s Sport with Tech and Moonroof pkgs 10 days ago. I know hindsight is 20/20, I love the car and it's exactly the Mazda I wanted down to the color but can't help having a little buyer's remorse on this one. This is in Cerritos, CA OTD price was $23,400 (MSRP 22,800 and don't know invoice off the top of my head). This included a "free" auto dimming rearview mirror with Homelink with installation and labor included.

Anyway, regardless, I would highly recommend getting the 2010 over the previous 09s, etc. You just get a much better vehicle with lots of value added features. Wait a few mths or so to deal unless you really like the 09, the discounts on it, and need a car now.
  • Options
    Gamerguy,
    Looks like you did good. It appears that you paid invoice price for your M3 4Dr S Sport Auto w/Tech & Mnrf. + auto dim mirror w/homelink.
    MSRP on your car is actually $23,075
    Invoice is $21,423
    Sales Tax in L.A. is $1767 (if you purchased at invoice)
    License Fees are $227 for this combo in CA
    Total = $23,417 (though dealer can add on a $50 doc. fee)
    2010's already at invoice . . . hurrah! Things can only get better!
    Zoom on!
  • Options
    gamerguy73gamerguy73 Member Posts: 13
    thx zar, glad you let me know; yep, if anyone wants a 2010 at invoice now, go for it!
  • Options
    ocean1ocean1 Member Posts: 2
    I sold my 07 touring last week.It was a great car with no problems whatsoever.Really wanted a 2010 "s".After driving the new model three times,there where a few things I just couldn't come to terms with.1,the "sport seats"in all the models except the 2.0 where very uncomfortable for me.Take this car on a long test drive before you buy one,2.the car felt big,there is a big blind spot in the rear due to the high trunk,and the mirrors are to small.3.the brakes are weak compared to the previous generation.And of course the smiley face.It seems that mazda has cheapened the car in order to add all the goodies and keep the price competitive.
    So..what did I do ....grabbed one of the last 09 value edition's and am thrilled that i did.Bought at westcott in san diego.They are advertising the last of the 09's for $14,990 without the special finance.they only have a few left.I paid $14,490 after getting my preferred buyers card from mazda...just call an ask for one they will send it to you.I drove everything.....and imho...the price for this car is an absolute steal......
  • Options
    I have been quoted:$16,366 for 5 door HB/5 speed manual.
    Is it a decent deal ?

thanks
    DD
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    For the 19500 msrp 09 s model hatch 16400 plus tax and title is really nothing to write home about. That said, if there are few left that may be it. Solicit email bids from 10 or so dealers last week of the month (mazda website) and see what comes up the last few days. The lowest bid is the lowest bid. If that includes tax and title you've got a very good deal.

-- jjf
  • Options
    newmazda3ownernewmazda3owner Member Posts: 2
    09 mazda 3 hatchback GT with moonroof/cd/bose package - $20k. OTD: $21.936. San Francisco, CA.
  • Options
    familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    Ocean1:

Great tip on the preferred buyers card! Not one dealer has mentioned that to me. :mad:
  • Options
    What number do I call to get the preferred card? What does it actually do for me? I also like the 09's beter that 10's. I live in SD too. Did you like Wescott?
  • Options
    familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    Ocean1:

Great tip on the preferred buyers card! Not one dealer has mentioned that to me. :mad: