Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    vj33vj33 Member Posts: 7
    Did this GT have NAV/Sat? Can you tell me invoice price. I am lookng for a GT as well, but can only find them with NAV/Sat an I do not want to pay the extra 2k+ for stuf I do not need. Also I ould raher have portable NAV with all the bells for $399.
  • Options
    newmazda3ownernewmazda3owner Member Posts: 2
    No NAV/Sat. Just moonroof/cd/bose package. Not a whole lot left in this configuration.
  • Options
    ocean1ocean1 Member Posts: 2
    Call customer service rep in torrance @the headquarters,I believe,the number is on mazdausa.com.don't have the number handy.It is a card giving you a $500 discount on any mazda.....can't beat that.I have bought 2 mazda 3's from westcott....if you don't mind negotiating a bit,they will beat anyones price.Have fun with em.....service department has been very good to me.So far the 09 is perfect.I think the build quality is superior to the 2010.
  • Options
    crowheartcrowheart Member Posts: 36
    My wife and I were test driving a 2009 Mazda 3s Touring tonight. This is how my experience went. The salesperson wanted us to do a test drive. The lot were they kept their inventory was about 2 miles from the dealership, the lot was secured. When we got there the salesperson brought with her a little battery jumper. When she got to the car we were supposed to drive she had to jump it, She said the cars sit to long and need to be jumped many times. Then we had to drive to a gas station with the car on empty so she could put in 10 bucks worth of gas. My wife who was driving the car was driving with the autostick in M instead of D (the selectors are so close together) I thought she had it in drive as well.The trans/engine was whinny all the way back to the dealership by the time we got there we could smell burning. The salesperson told us the burning smell was normal that it was from an oil coating on the engine from the manufacturer. I didn't believe this for a minute.

I like the car and after my wifes debacle I drove the car in the proper gear and it drove nicely. The salesperson wanted us to take the car home for the night. We agreed but when we got back out to the lot the battery was low and the car would not start. She was going to jump it again. We left, but agreed to come back tomorrow.

What a bad first experience with Mazda!
    Did my wife screw up the trans? If we actually bought the car would the trans later act up.
    What about the battery situation has anyone heard or experienced anything like that at a dealership?

Am I crazy for still wanting to buy this car? Any and all advice would be appreciated...Thanks
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    According to CarsDirect, using a Pittsburgh zip code, the '09 s Sport 5-door with manual transmission and no options-
    MSRP- $19,295
    Invoice- $18,116
    Target Price- $17,116

Edmunds confirms the Invoice price of $18,116 and shows $1000 Cash to Customer incentive....so I'd say that $17,116 is the price I'd consider a good deal!

I have an '06 s Sport 5-door manual with no options. My previous car, a Honda Accord, had a moonroof. I kinda wish that I had selected one with the "Moonroof/6-CD Changer package". It's only $765 more (invoice), so that'd make the goal price about $17,881. It's an asset for resale value, too.

You might want to keep your eyes open for an s Touring 5-door, too. The invoice price is only $466 higher than the Sport and it adds Traction Control and 'Dynamic' Stability Control. According to my insurance agent, my premium would be about $150 less per year with those features...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    besmithbesmith Member Posts: 13
    Hello, Im thinking of buying a used 07 3 hatch. It has 22k on it. Its silver with black leather interior. It also has a sunroof, heated seats, and BOSE. The dealer is asking 13999. Do you think this is a good deal? This particular dealer is about 100 miles away, and the rest in my area are charging more for older models with less options and more miles. I also might be trading in my 07 Accent.
  • Options
    hiwaystarhiwaystar Member Posts: 10
    I had a choice of brand new (no Miles) Black for $24670 or a demo Graphite with 700 miles for $24270. Both were fully optioned with Bose and tech packages with MSRP a smidge over $25600.

Went with the demo Graphite as this was my color preference plus they gave me an additional 300 on trade for taking demo. Bottom line I saved 700 on the demo compared to the Black with no miles.

Purchased from Don Miller Mazda in Madison, Wi and it was a no BS experience. Quite the contrast from LaCrosse Mazda who wanted MSRP and offered 500 less on trade. It was well worth the 200 mile roundtrip to Madison for essentially a $2000 better deal. :) Pick the car up this Friday!
  • Options
    That price is below Trade-In Value (per Edmunds TMV). If it's still available, it sounds like a steal.

A 100-mile trip could be worth it to save a few thousand bucks. Just be certain that the car is in good condition, pull a Carfax to check for accidents, etc.
  • Options
    vovanivovani Member Posts: 7
    sorry guys but i don't see a point of getting a 2010 model near MSRP when the car will depreciate just as quickly as 2009 model..
    another point: in this economy, you got to get a better discount on a new car be it mazda or honda/toyota, no matter what its residual value is going to be in a year..

is 2010 so much better 2009? not speaking of appearance here, that's a strictly matter of taste...
  • Options
    smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    I don't think anyone is paying MSRP, prices should be no more than $500 over invoice now. Check the 2010 Mazda3 thread to see opinions on whether it's an upgrade over the 2009.
  • Options
    in my case a check on cars.com a couple of weeks ago showed one 2009 mazda3s GT within 150 miles of my location and it was not my color choice whereas I found 27 2010 sGT's in colors that I was happy with. So that was my determining factor in getting a 2010.

I was originally looking for a mazda6 but when we saw the 2010 3 sitting in the showroom I became very interested and after driving one I was "sold"
  • Options
    mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    Well after comparing the 2009 and 2010 Mazda 3's I went for the 09.

1) I preferred the 09 styling both inside and outside which is purely subjective.
    2) On the 2010 they deleted the body side moulding and side turn signal light.
    3) The carpet (floor felt) was not improved on the 2010.
    4) The analog fuel and temperature gauges were deleted from the 2010.
    5) The 2.0 engine is rated the same on both models.
    6)I'm getting a little too old to drive a car with a Bozo grin on the front end.
    7) Yes, the road noise and over all interior material quality was better on the 2010 but that was not enough to beat the deal on the 09.
    8)Although Mazda claims to have held the line on pricing,they had a late year price increase on the 2009's just prior to the 2010's coming out. Very clever on Mazda's part.

2009 Four door "i" touring value, manual w/wheel locks
    $17,615 msrp
    $13,680 negotiated price. ( It was no gimme! I had to earn it).
    $15,230 OTD w/ tax,dmv,doc etc.

I could not beat the deal. Other cars in this class are boring by comparison.

I also have an 09 five door 3. I enjoy driving the 2.0 sedan more. The first tank got 6 more mpg than my 09 five door and the interior is quieter.
  • Options
    skyspaceskyspace Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I was quoted a 2010 Mazda 3s GT Sedan Auto for $22.5k. This is with moonroof/6cd/bose and Pzev emission.

Is this a good offer? Please let me know.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sounds good. I think an 3S GT Auto with Bose and without the tech package is probably in the 24370ish MSRP range. You can always build it with options on edmunds and get a good idea.
  • Options
    $15,230 OTD is an amazing deal! Edmunds TMV for the '09 i Touring Value is $14,400...and you managed $720 less than that....very nice!

I have an '06 s 5-door manual that I'm planning to trade/sell soon. I love it but 3.5 years commuting in Atlanta traffic with a clutch is all I can handle! I will be very interested to see how well the 2.5L in the 5-door performs with the automatic transmission.

Edmunds is showing a TMV of $17,900 for the '09 s Touring 5-door (with auto trans & Moonroof/6CD package). That's about $3,700 off MSRP. The 2010 s Sport 5-door with Moonroof/Bose/6CD and auto trans is $22,095 MSRP. Edmunds, CarsDirect and KBB are showing the 2010 at full MSRP, but I'm sure there's some room for negotiation based on the $20,632 Invoice.

The question is whether the '10 model is work $3k more than a comparably equipped '09. One thing that makes the '09 less appealing to me is the lack of color choices! The '10 has two colors that I really like- Celestial Blue and Gunmetal Blue...and Graphite, which is similar to the Titanium Gray on my '06. I also like the 'Dune' interior color, but it's only available on a handful of exterior colors.

I hate trying to make decisions like this....
  • Options
    The MSRP for a 2010 MZ3 s Grand Touring with A/T and the Moonroof/Bose/6CD package is $24,365. The invoice is around $22,700...so $22,500 sounds like a very good deal to me.
  • Options
    skyspaceskyspace Member Posts: 6
    Oh damn, you are right, the quote I was given was 22749, and with license (148.50) + doc fee (50) + WA tax (2229.40), it comes out to 25k OTD. Is that still a good deal?
  • Options
    If you like the styling and colors on the 2010 it would be worth 3k more especially considering that it will have a higher resale value than the 09. The Gunmetal Blue is nice. For me, the styling wins out on the 09 and the price incentives are there. I also prefer the cleaner more straight forward interior design on the 09. The instrumentation looks sparse on the 2010 but the car definitely has its advantages. The traffic on I75/I85 from Kennesaw into ATL was bad enough in the early 90's let alone now.
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,went to look at a 2010 mazda 3 I sport with auto yesterday at my local mazda dealership.i think this is the basic 3 with auto.anyway,msrp was 16,800.00
    plus some other sticker that had additional items such as pin stripes,body side moldings ect.edmunds says that this car's invoice is 15,700.00 and i offered 16,200.00 and they refused to budge from the msrp.i said i have never in my life paid msrp for a car and i am not going to start now especially during a bad economy where car dealerships are starving for buisness.they basically said to me see ya later alligator.
  • Options
    Do yourself a favor and go to autotrader or cars.com and search within 100/150 miles of your location. or simply use the mazdausa site to search inventory within same distance. You'll see that there are probably dozens of the same equipped car within your driving distance. The internet is a wonderful shopping tool!

I'm thinking that once you let your dealer know you are armed with this data and are willing to drive an hour or so to get a fair deal that they may change their tune. If not, forget them. You will certainly find somebody who will deal.
    You could also try addressing several dealers in an email asking for a quote. Once they know they are in competition you will likely see their numbers start to drop.

At least I have had some success with these methods over the last several years.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Three years ago, when I was shopping for my MZ3, the Mazda website's inventory search feature was a BIG help. I searched for ones that met my desired specs within a 250-mile radius. I emailed each dealer for a quote and one came in $700 under the next best offer. I bought it on a Wednesday and picked it up on Friday. Driving 450 miles roundtrip to get it was well worth it!
  • Options
    moe21moe21 Member Posts: 6
    Have finally reached a decision on which car my wife likes best, and this is it!

Now it is my job to get the best price. Can anyone tell me what price I should expect to pay with current incentives pricing?

Also, appreciate any negotiating technique or tips that have been successful - What should initial offer be? The msrp is around $19,355 excluding only ttl. Edmunds TMV is $16,750 after incentives.

Thank you!
  • Options
    sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    Mazdazed,
    Wow, sounds like you got a great deal. Did you trade anything in? what is your finance term?
    I paid $16,500 for the same car before trade-in + the dealer added a spoiler and tainted all the windows without increase on price (that's about $1,000 for spoiler and tainted windows). I paid sales tax separately. My finance term is 2.9% for 60 months, but I plan to pay it off in 48 mos.
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay more than $20K for any small sedan, that's just me.
    If you are willing to pay $22 - $25K, you might as well get an Accord, Mazda 6 or a Nissan Altima. That's just me...
  • Options
    The Edmunds' dealer invoice of $16,750 sounds about right Consumer Report lists the Mazda 09 3i value edition AT for $16,700 as well. But the moonroof + 6CD (they should be combined as one package) is an additional $800 at dealer invoice price. So anything around $17,800 is a good deal.
    With $1,000 cash rebate, you should be able to get the car for $16,800.
  • Options
    I would aim for no more than $16k max plus tax,dmv etc. I would initially offer less.
  • Options
    I did not trade anything and did not use Mazda's financing. That entitled me to a larger rebate that you would not get when using their financing. I think it was an extra $500 off in addition to the $1,000 rebate. If you get your own fiancing such as a home equity loan etc you should be able to negotiate a better price. I enjoy driving the 2.0 four door more than the 2.3 in my 5 door for some reason. The performance difference between the two engines is minimal.
  • Options
    I agree. I got a price under $19k for a 2009 Mazda 6 Sport with a manual trans. A lot of car for the money. I could not see spending thousands more for a Mazda 3.
  • Options
    Wow Mazdazed,
    How many Mazdas do you have? You have a 2.0 AND a 2.3 5-door Mazda 3 AND a Mazda 6?
  • Options
    I don't have a Mazda 6. I just compared and priced them along with the Mazda 3's. While the 2009 6 was a good deal and the interior quality was excellent, the rear seat headroom was no better than the 3 sedan and actually had less than the 3 5door. I do have two 3's. "ITV" sedan 2.0 and "S" Sport 5 door. Both manuals. I can feel the difference in the two engines but it is not much. I actually like the ITV instrument cluster better than the electrolumescent cluster. It is easier to see in the daylight and looks better at night IMO. I also like the 32-35 mpg the 2.0 is getting. Prior to the Mazda 3's the last new Mazda I bought was a 1984 B2000 truck for $5,900. So I rediscovered Mazda after 25 years.
  • Options
    deer1deer1 Member Posts: 3
    Just for info: I just purchased a Mazda3 for $15,500. Stick with one up from basic options (electric everything, one CD player, etc.). That does not include taxes, which we do separately here. I also took the 1.9% financing for 60 months.

I probably could have gotten a better deal, but I hate this process. Hopefully this info helps someone! It seemed like the best deal I could find for the car (I looked at Chevy's, Fords, Nissans, and Hondas), though Ford was the next most competitive.
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    was that for a 09 or 2010 mazda 3??
  • Options
    2009...good point.
  • Options
    The price on the window was something like $17,7XX. I know there was the rebate and then something more they took off. Its a nice little car.
  • Options
    We made the purchase today. Had quotes from 6 different dealers for this car between 17,600 to 15,950.

Again, for the Mazda 3, AT i tour value, 2009 with the moon roof option, wheel lock and added a spoiler at the last minute. The sticker was $19,600. The spoiler added anohter $150 to our total, plus tttl for out the door.

Funny how some of the prices were $1,200 - $1,500 over my low bid. Not sure if they were swinging for a home run, or just not able to compete. May have been a bit of both with different dealers. I suspect that asking for the internet sales for a quote may also give you a better deal, and I think the quantity for the sales from the store at that particular time may also make a difference.

Bottom line: My wife is thrilled with her new car. I feel like we got a new car at a used car price!
  • Options
    So....exactly what did you pay for your new car?
  • Options
    $16,125 - Car w/moon, wheel lock & Spoiler (MSRP - $19,600)

$1,156 - tax, title, tags
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
    $17,281 total OTD

May have been able to do a little better on the price, but wanted a specific color with the roof, and didn't want to travel too farl. I was happy with the deal, especially since I didn't have to buy out of the local area. Also, the 09 inventory is dwindling. The risk/reward was not worth it for me to maybe save a few hundred, but risk a long drive to maybe find a dealer wanting to play tricks with add ons, switch or such. It was helpful though, to get quotes up 150 miles away to have a basis for what is being offered. As they say, little pigs get fed...

The availability of information on this site also makes you feel a bit more knowlegeble and comfortable with the purchase, which is why I am taking the time to share with others.

How do you think we did???
  • Options
    Dude...
    $16,125 - Car w/moon, wheel lock & Spoiler ???
    You STOLE that car! LOL!
    Did you trade-in anything? Is this after trade-in value? Did you pay cash, finance term?

With those options on 09 3i touring, I think anything under $18,500 is a GREAT deal but trade-in shouldn't be included as your final price.
  • Options
    Another reason why its good to buy later models....

"Mazda has issued a recall for 25,400 Mazda3s from the 2010 model year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In some vehicles, the clearance between the engine and the housing of the starter motor may be too narrow.

If the harness covering is damaged by heavy vibration while the car is operating, it could cause a short circuit in certain harness wires. That could result in a malfunction in engine control or degraded shift quality. It could also cause the engine to stall and increase the risk of an accident.

Dealers will inspect the engine harness and add a protector clip if necessary. If the harness is already too damaged, the harness will be repaired free of charge.

The recall covers all 2010 Mazda3s sold to date, and the recently redesigned car has sold briskly so far. Recalls of a first-year model aren’t uncommon, but obviously it’s far from flattering for Mazda.

Owners can contact Mazda at 800-222-5500, or the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236. "
  • Options
    no trade.
    paid cash.
    This was my out the door price, after all incentives were applied to the deal. Mazda currently has $1,500 rebate with out special financing, or $1,000 back if you take their special low financing. I paid cash.

Their was more than one dealer at this price point, but most considreably higher. I did not dicker with the low offers. Tried to get one of the dealers with a higher offer to match the low, they said they couldn't (or wouldn't? you never know...)
    They did tell me the used car mgr at this dealer hasn't sold any cars with the new ones selling at this price.
  • Options
    I paid $16K for mine, 09 i touring value, just like yours, but I don't have the moonroof option and I wanted manual shift. But I have spoiler and all windows are tainted, all included in that price.
    So with moonroof and auto on yours, you certainly got a super excellent deal.
  • Options
    jb66jb66 Member Posts: 8
    I have been using Edmunds and a couple other sites along with going to 4 dealers and playing them against each other for a sale. I found several different prices for the same car. I bought the Mazda 3 2009 I value touring sedan today. The options are the moon roof/ cd package, all weather mats, and the lighting compass. The lowest price was today for 17,100 OTD ( Out the door) It seems like a really good deal that I had to work hard to get. Any thoughts ? and I hope this helps. :) :shades:
  • Options
    Did your OTD price include tax, tags, title? If so, how much? And did you get a manual or AT? What was the value they placed on the "lighting compass"? I saw this at the dealer but they didn't even pitch it to me.
  • Options
    Also, I am curious who you got your best offer thru, a floor salesperson or from their "internet salesperson?” My best prices came directly from web inquiries or when I called for a price and asked for the internet sales department.
  • Options
    The price is out the door, it includes tax, tittle, etc... Not a penny more. This is with an automatic, which is roughly 1000 more than a manual. The weater mats are 40 dollars invoice and 80 msrp, the lighting compass is around 200 msrp and 120 to dealer. The dealer only had 2 left and the metro gray had the options mentioned above, so he basically ate the cost to sell me the car. I told them I wanted all cash incentives and I would put down 6000 and finance the rest at no more than 5.0 percent or I would provide my own. I financed at 5.0 for 36 months the difference of 11000 Zoom Zoom
  • Options
    Moe,

I found 2 dealers under the same name within 15 miles of where I live ( Detroit) Area. I also knew of a dealer 50 miles away. I visited all 3 lots multiple times armed with the OTD sheets. I kept referencing the Edmunds.com which with my options was around 17,000 I ended up paying 17,100 but will get them to throw in a few oil changes, which is around 100 The last dealer was the most straight forward. I have practing hagling from multiple trips to Mexico.
  • Options
    sabre52270sabre52270 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone have an idea as to how a Chrysler or GM, Ford (Mazda) bankruptcy would effect dealers? What I am asking is, if a dealer is still able to sell the cars on their lots after a bankruptcy by an automaker, would the prices go up or down, or stay the same?
    I'm thinking that since the dealer has to pay the automaker for the cars up front, that generally the dealer prices and process wouldn't be too different from now, unless they were stuck with a lot of cars on their lots. Thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Any bankruptcy at this time, would just be a reorganization, and probably "pre-packaged".

GM or Chrysler would have debtor-in-possession financing in place before the filing.. Business would continue as usual from a dealership perspective, unless the company liquidates. (not likely).

Most dealers already finance their inventory, and not alway through the automaker's finance arm.. Doubtful any of that would change. If the dealer can't get financing, they'll be out of business, anyway..

I

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    If you are a COSTCO member, that works pretty well too..... Did it with my G35X - saved about $35-40 on the Lease OTD.
  • Options
    rowsersrowsers Member Posts: 3
    Hey Everybody!
    I'm buying a '09 Mazda 3 i Touring Automatic and have gotten a quote of $17,100 OTD (in FL), does anyone have advice on whether that's a good price or not? Also, I've gotten the following OTD quotes while shopping:
    '09 Mazda HB Manual S, $17,900
    '09 Mazda HB Auto S, $18,300
    Those prices are after serious leg work on my part, I'm hoping the price for the above sedan is solid! Thanks for any thoughts!

Dave