Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• dharmondharmon Member Posts: 13
    I have not seen the whole warranty information and therefore have not read all the "small print". Was told that if you need service under the 10/100000 you must show receipts for all your oil changes and such, otherwise the warranty is void??

This is my first experience with Kia. After pricing the competition I am very interested in the '06 Sedona but also want to know what I am up against. It's not that I don't change my oil on a regular basis but I have slipped 500 miles or so.

Thanks,
    Doug
  • sedonasorentosedonasorento Member Posts: 29
    I think if you go to Kia's website, and look at accessories, there is a dvd player listed for the Sedona. I assume its the same as what Kia installs at the factory, but of course assuming can be dangerous. :)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    The fine print exists so the dealer can fall back on it and refuse warranty claims if they want to do so. I would keep your paperwork but wouldn't be paranoid about it. So far, my impression is that Kia dealers are more eager than some other brands to do warranty work. They don't always get the fix right, but they aren't refusing requests as some other-brand dealers.

Specifically regarding engine oil change intervals, you will find that many manufacturers specify what most consumers would consider a LONG change interval. Some cars now specify every 7500 miles. So if you go '500 miles past' your magical 3000 or even 5000 mile interval, you are well within the manufacturer requirements in most cases. I don't specifically recall if Sedona spec is 7500 miles, though.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    The fine print basically said if the dealer installs it prior to delivery, it is covered by the bumper to bumper warantee...that is why I had the windshield and sun roof bug guards installed by them and had them included on my original bill of sale. You can probably check this out of Kia.com

RE removable video gear vs installed...our friend has one installed in his Chrysler. Works well. We went with removable so it could be used by kids at vacation destination points (cabin, friend's house w/o dvd) and we didn't have the extra weight when we weren't traveling. Also easier to replace a component when only dealing with non-installed. To each his/her own.
    As usual the media comes out a little late. Read an article this past week talking about problems with some makes Kia came in dead last with 300 plus problems. The mid point was around 225. The biggest problem I saw; it was from a 2002 survey. This information could now be four years old. I for one would imagine that some vehicles have been improved upon while others have developed other problems over this time period. In this months Consumer Reports there is an article about certain engines having a tendency to develop Sludge. Lexus/Toyota had the greatest number of engines susceptible, followed by Chrysler/Dodge, Audi/Volkswagen then Saab. All except Chrysler have extended their power train warranties to 8 years; unlimited mileage. Chrysler will handle on a case by case basis. Oh, by the way, there apparently is no way to stop the problem. They suggested using synthetic motor oil as it has a higher burn temperature and change your oil on the suggested heavy service interval. But if your engine is susceptible to sludge it will happen.

We continue to get the crap the manufactures want to throw at us.
    I'm with you. The factory installed option is sure to be around $1200. To some that is not much but I would rather go with the two portable units which slip over the head rest. Easier to use in the tent or wherever and a lot cheaper to fix or repair. The dealer told me how awesome it sounds. Great, but I don't want to listen to a movie I am not able to watch.. With the portable units now you are able to watch a different movie on each unit, or play games.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    I thought the same thing when I read the article. All of the articles about current Kias that I have read say that Kia has improved its quality greatly over the past three to five years. And it's the current generation of Kias coming out that benefit from the new quality efforts. The vehicles in the survey in the article are probably based on 2000 generation models when quality was a problem. You only have to look at how Kia is handling the start up of its new plant in Alabama to see that it is making quality a priority. Also, the same article said that Hyundai, even back in the models they were surveying, was, at that time, close to the industry average. I am really looking forward to the 2006 Kia and the Entourage.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Wasn't the survey about the durability of the vehicles after three years and not initial quality?

Consumer Reports rates news cars and gives statistics concerning durability. CR does not permit advertising of its information. Yesterday while I was driving to work I heard a GM commercial touting the J.D. Power survey and giving the link to the web site. What is going on here? I am not a shill for CR. I think they are biased in their love of anything Japanese but J.D. Power's rating is not more significant than would be Motor Trend's "Car of the Year".

The best judge of a car's durability is to have a friend who works at a dealer's shop who gives you "inside" information. Other than that you should ask a current owner.
    Your probably correct as the survey did not state exactly when the survey was done . I am willing to chance it. I have driven the Chrysler T&W (way overpriced) and the Grand Caravan (also overpriced if you want anything on it).

I bought a '04 new Toyota Camry XLE, or whatever, the top of the line that was built in the US and I would rather have one built in Japan. I hope the 06 Kia is going to made in Korea. Once those companies get set up over here then we get the same US auto junk! Camry was supposed to be such a great car. Sorry, but it is only as good as any other car built in the US. They are only building plants here to get over the duties they have to pay on imports and are left having to hire Americans that don't give a hoot about the product but what they are going to make and vacations.

The American mfgs have built junk for a long time but were forced to build a better product as the imports came with more quality.

I don't want to open any wounds here or start any battles but there is something wrong when $1800. of every GM vehicle sold goes to pay retiree benefits. Who's to blame? Certainly not Ford GM or Chrysler.

I happen to be a 100% Service Connected disabled Vietnam Veteran so I am certainly not an Asian flag waiver. But the truth is the truth.
  • donatello57donatello57 Member Posts: 8
    I work for a Kia Dealership in Lakeland Florida and nothing is actually installed at the factory. Anything that comes on the car or mini-van like a dvd or tow hitch is installed at the port, and not installed at the factory. That is to keep down on the cost of shipping the vehicle from Korea.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Kia will move up in the ranks in 2008 or so, when the new models are 3 years old and get measured in that study.

-juice
  • kallen479kallen479 Member Posts: 9
    So, basically my dealer lied to me about the system not being as good as factory installed? They do all of the installations there at the dealership!? That says a lot about my dealer and therefore am willing to drive to a different dealership. Thanks for the information.

Kallen
    Don't come this way My closest dealer still has a $1700. addendum sticker on his cars. In fact he ran an ad in the local paper with the EX having a quoted price of $25000. plus. Then he takes the $4,000. rebateoff the $25,000 figure
    Hey Kallen they don't do the installs at the dealership however they don't do them at the factory in Korea either. All of the installs are done at the Port where they come in on a ship here in America. I hope you understand what I mean. If they have an addendum on the window that means it is an aftermarket item. If they have it on the actual window sticker that means it was installed at the port

Donatello
    :D
    ah. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Do you know about being able to install a DVD system at the dealership and if it is any good? We are really interested in an EX with a DVD, but no sunroof. They seem to be hard to come by in the color we want. The salesman also told us that the DVD and the sunroof typically come as a package. Do you know if this is true? I just want to be able to go to the dealer armed with the most accurste knowledge I can. Thank you for any further assistance.

Kallen
    Hi Kallen,

You must want the Sage Green. That is usually a color that is hard to find. Now the only package that I am sure about is the package of the sunroof and leather. If you get leather you get the sunroof. The EX cloth doesn't come with the sunroof, and they sometimes will come with a DVD system. The salesperson should be able to locate the color and options you want in the car. He would have to go to his manager and ask. If they give you the runaround ask to speak to the manager directly. If they want the sale they will locate you a vehicle from another dealership. Some dealers won't do dealer-trades. So you may have to go to another dealer to get it done. If I can help you in any way please let me know.

Thanks,

Donatello
    Hi Donatello,

Thanks for the information. It will help us be a little more informed. If we have more questions, we will definitely ask them here. And you are correct. We are looking for the sage green/silky beige. They have several in our area (Iowa), but most do not have a DVD. Definitely a must have with a 7 and a 4 yr old. Thanks again for your help.

Kallen
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Toyota Sienna XLE is WAY overpriced when compared to Sedona EX, Odyssey EX or GC SXT. MSRP for an XLE is $34,000 while an Ody EX (cloth) with same important features is $28,710 and a GC SXT is $27,725. (I do not know 2005 Sedona EX pricing since the Sedona did NOT have the features I want until the 2006 model).
    Some of us take offense when reading your diatribes against the US Auto wokers and their benefits. BTW, who is paying for your disability? Isn't it the US taxpayers? :sick:

"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones". ;)
    I am anxious to see one and to look at the actual pricing. The current information appears too good to be true. :shades:
    Hansienna, It is off topic, and moderator, I promise not to go there again, but I think you misread the comment he made.

A disabled Vet who got injured in the service to his country is promised medical care as a condition of his enlistment. How could it be any other way? Honestly, folks who get 100% disability are few/far between. Quite a bit different than any civilian employer (except perhaps fire/police, etc) who negotiate via their unions for far less hazardous jobs. Now the US taxpayer is picking up THEIR pensions and stuff too.

I think it is blatently unfare to try to draw comparisons between UAW and airline pensions problems and an injured Veteran. If you wish to call my comments drivel, OK by me. I still serve, and I've got broad enough shoulders to take the hit.
    I won't respond.

Back to topic. I think you are right...2006 Sedona looks to be a winner. I sincerely hope the product lives up to the advanced press. I know I'm happy with most of our 2003 features. I wish they were going to have a nav system, but who knows, the Hyundai model might have that. I suspect we will wait for 2007 MY to let the first year issues settle out. Witness the differences btwn 2002 and 2003 Sedonas.

r/JC
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Youre a little bit off, the Sienna is overpriced compared to Ody EX, but its much less than you state, if you want to compare apples to apples.

A Sienna XLE FWD w/ Pkg 3- (Stability, Curtains, Wiper De-Icer) is $31,365 MSRP, and has a few items that the Ody lacks, like Power Passenger Seat, for example.

~alpha
    YES, the pricing was $1,000 high. Thanks for the correction. ;)
    Denver region 2005 Sienna XLE MSRP is $29,225 + Destination $565 + mandatory option pkg # 4 MSRP $2575 = $32,365. Many dealers have add-ons that put the MSRP at just above $33,000. Pricing was made using official Toyota web site and dealer pricing made at web site of a few selected Toyota dealers.
    Just priced a 2005 Kia Sedona EX at Edmunds: MSRP $24,875, TMV $23,435, Rebate $3500 = $19,935. ;) The Sedona appears to be THE BEST BUY now on the market.
    How much did you pay for your 2003, how much do you expect to get for it when you move up to an '06/'07, and how long will you have had it?

I'm interested in upgrading our 2002 to a 2006, especially if Kia rolls out the Kia customer loyalty bonuses again. But I worry what our 2002 is worth.
    The LARGE price paid difference between the 2002 Sedona and a 2002 Sienna or 2002 Odyssey with the same features was greater than the difference in trade-in value of the Sedona now.
    Just go to Edmund's used car pricing to determine the trade-in value of your 2002 Sedona and the other 2. You will be pleased to learn how much less it cost you to own the Sedona than to have owned either the Sienna or Odyssey. ;)
    Not sure about that, I'd have to do the math.

Sedona LX for about $16k, resale might be around $9k 2 years used. Ody LX was $25k back then, but they sell for high teens.

If you factor the opportunity cost the Sedona could come out ahead, but not by much.

-juice
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I recently shopped the 2005 Sienna XLE with Option 3 pkg and several other "packs". Toyota plays a game of putting things on the sticker other dealers add on. In most cases they are just profit centers for the dealer and a rip to the consumer. In any case, I could have bought the Sienna for $300 over invoice plus either discount financing or $500 rebate.

I plan on patiently waiting for the all new Sedona. If they get it right as in the 2005 Sportage, Honda and Toyota will be scrambling and discounting for sales.
    I think it depends on how you define "Best Buy". The current Sedona is cheap, but its at the back of the pack in basically every aspect of minivanness. Its fuel inefficiency is startling, and are there any other minivans out there that lack ABS standard?

Also, I was trying to compare apples to apples. If a mandatory Pkg 4 is required in Denver, I understand that, but Pkg 4 includes a moonroof that the Ody EX non leather does not have, the Sienna XLE Pkg 3 at $31.3K is most directly comparable to the $28.7K Ody EX.

~alpha
    It's not in the back of the pack in anywhere near 'every aspect' of 'minivanness.' Yes, it seems to trail the pack in fuel efficiency, but the difference between Sedona's real-world fuel economy and that of many other minivans is much smaller than most folks believe.

Sure, the current version lacks some key minivan features that many buyers won't do without. But the van is well-assembled and has excellent fit and finish and is generally a very comfortable place for 6 people to spend time. And it costs very little.
    I have noticed that the new incentives are out. The EX has a cash back of $3500, but I also noticed here on Edmunds site that there is an additional $1000 bonus. This is what it says:

$1000 Cash to Customer start: 07/06/2005 end: 08/31/2005 Get Dealer Pricing
    Restrictions $1000 Customer bonus cash available to current owners of qualified non-Kia vehicles. See dealer for complete list of vehicles that qualify.
    Comments Incentives may vary; see your local dealer for details.

Does anyone know exactly what this means?

Kallen
    sounds like you get an extra $1,000 if you own a minivan from a different manufacturer. Kia has offered this incentive from time to time over the past couple years. They also have offered the Kia loyalty for an extra $1,000 if you currently own a Kia.
    Listen, Im not trying to ruffle the feathers of current Sedona owners by saying its at the back of the pack, but its pretty much a statement of truth. The Sedona is not as refined, powerful, efficient, versatile, agile, or crashworthy as the leaders of the segment, nor does it offer a strong reliability record or good resale. As you state, it also lacks many features that some buyers wont do without. It is a whole boatload cheaper than the Sienna and Ody, however. (Referencing MPG- CR found the Sedona to swill at the rate of 16 MPG, with the Sienna at 19, and over two seconds faster to 60. Thats significant in my book, espeically over 100K miles).

The new Sedona looks to change everything, so much so that I wonder if a new name isnt warranted. Hyundai really hit a home-run with the new Sonata, IMO, and if this redesign is anything along those lines, theres success in Kia's future.

~alpha
    You are correct. I just spoke with a dealership and they if I was trading in a competetor's van, I could get the extra $1000
    3mpg *is* significant. But you are comparing to Sienna, which is basically a class leader in fuel economy. Weren't some of the other tested vans at 17 and 18 mpg? 1-2 mpg isn't that significant.

I would argue that Sedona is VERY refined in the minivan segment when sitting behind the wheel of a loaded EX.

Sedona IS heavy. It's not as fast as many other minivans, although the real-world feel says it is pretty quick. And the test numbers aren't as far off compared to some other vans. Again, you compared Sienna which is a class leader. Yes, 2 seconds is a huge difference in 0-60 time. Others are less than a second quicker than Sedona, and that's not very significant.

Crash results are quite favorable. Not quite at the top of the heap, but close. And better than several competitors.

Yes, it is not agile. I don't care, personally. It handles safely and securely. I don't need 'agility' in my minivan handling.
    Hey Y'all,

The only thing I would like to warn people about is that if you are in a certain region they may have different incentives. In my region they may have $1000 competitve and in another region they may have $1000 owner loyalty. I don't want anyone cussing the salesman out when they go to a dealership that doesn't have the same incentive.

Donatello
    Can NOT compare Sienna XLE Pkg 3 when it is NOT offered in the region where I live. :lemon:
    Sedona and Odyssey do not play the options games where Toyota leads the pack...followed closely by DaimlerChrysler. :blush:
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Will the Entourage be appearing next fall or next spring?
    BD,

Sorry, I've been checking in 400+ midshipmen into summer training here in sunny San Diego and have been pretty busy. IRT your question, as I recall, we paid around $24K including TTL in VA. (6% tax) We bought in Nov 2002 and just before the major rebates. My exact numbers were in an early post. Folks now are getting into them for a lot less.

Right now I don't plan on selling the old van. I think you are right, resale won't be that high. Maybe 20-25% max if you are lucky. Typically, I keep older vehicles or give them to charity. I will just roll it into being a commuter vehicle (mine) or use it for the youngest's first use vehicle.

My father in law gave me a '96 Chrysler Cirrus with 40k on it last year. With the numerous problems (brake calipers 1 yr after he had them replaced, new front suspension, power steering x2) I've had with it, I expect it won't last more than another year or two.

Anyhow, if you have a use for it, I'm not sure I'd try to trade a used Sedona. Either sell it to a private buyer, or drive it to minimize the miles on the new van.
    Not so good but keep in mind what people are paying to begin with. If you depreciate 25% of a $31k van that's still more than depreciating 50% of a $15k van.

It just depends on what you paid. Bargains abound.

-juice
    Yep. Tell it to the Odyssey lovers!
    BD,

I had a little time to do some comparisons last night. If I recall correctly yours is an LX model. If you extrapolate the difference between a 2003 and 2002 LX, your private vehicle value should be between 6 and 7K in a year. Add about $1300 for an EX. So, residual is still 25-33%.

Bottom line is that you've had good transportation, and use of $8-10k more than another purchase. Many folks have different opinions on the "value' their vans provide...but there isn't much arguement about the opportunity cost of money.

Good luck in your decision whether to trade for an 06 or 07. I look forward to your report when I get ready to purchase my next one.
    Thanks. Likewise, I look forward to hearing your report as you consider a new-Sedona purchase and/or trade of old.

Actually, ours is an EX with every '02 option except the rear spoiler which I don't care for. I've been estimating ours is currently worth about $10k (private sale) but that may be a tad on the optimistic side. I'd be satisfied if it was worth about $8k a year from now.

We put roughly 20% down and even though we've refinanced our loan twice (at no cost, to get a better rate) and pushed out the total borrowing period a bit, we're not upside down.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    According to Edmunds' news, the Entourage will be out in the late Winter or early Spring of 2006, which seemed to me to be fairly early in light of the new Sedona apparently just getting to the dealers in the Fall of this year.

I'm really anxious to see if the Entourage is a slight sheet metal variation on the Sedona, or is more in line with the styling cues of the Portico concept vehicle, and if it has a nav system available. Also waiting to hear what the pricing is going to be on the new Sedona. With what I understand to be substantial quality increases in Hyundai and Kia over the past 3 to 4 years, the options that the new Sedona and Entourage will offer, and the expected pricing, I think Honda, Toyota, et al will be in some serious competition (of course, you still have those who cling to the anti-Korean car bias).
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    My 2002 Odyssey EX is worth around $15K, the last time I checked.
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    Thanks for the pics! Is that 4 rows of seats for real?!

Glad to see what appears to be a navigation system. Not offering it would be a big mistake for Kia.