Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...light aqua blue metallic BMW 650i convertible at Cottman and Oxford Avenue and a white Ford Escape with a hugd "Ford Police Vehicles" decal with the Ford blue oval at Rhawn and Tabor in NE Philly. Wonder if Ford is trying to get the PPD to buy Escapes?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Wonder if Ford is trying to get the PPD to buy Escapes?

Possibly as support vehicles.

I was surprised at the variety of police vehicles I saw on television on the Friday when the search for the bomber #2 was taking place in Watertown, MA. I spotted a few new Escapes with blue and red lights behind the grill and a Camry with hidden lights among the usual vehicles.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited May 2013
    Mustang offers good bang for the buck, so why not? The latest one can handle even with a live axle.

Lap times are better than they should be, put it that way.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    It wasn't so much about the Mustang as seeing many late model cars to begin with, esp one that is not entirely practical. The economy where I am right now isn't as strong as it is in some areas - no tech firms or crooked lobbyists/contractors/NGOs etc here. The Mustang is definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

Saw a big Nissan passenger van today - I've seen many of the cargo types, but no passenger models yet.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Prius C's. One orange and the other silver.
    Also, a couple oddball Honda's, Crosstour and (Acura)ZDX.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Saw a new highline Accord (LEDs) today in podunk. Not new, but my eye also caught a Chrysler 300 with a pretty awful quarter vinyl top that would look at home on Andre's 5th Ave.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2013
    Spotted one of these this morning running errands. Had an Enterprise logo on it so I'm assuming it's a rental. Standard (low) roof, looked much like the NV 1500 shown at the Nissan site.
  • Options
    On I5 this morning, saw a 2014 E-class with the deluxe lighting package - it's eye-catching.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    stopped at a local garden center. And right out front, there was a long white hatchback with the hatch open and some guy loading flowers in. Looked striking, but was not sure what it was until I got to see the front.

Twas a Tesla. interesting to see it "start" up and drive away without making any noise.

This was in Jersey, in the philly burbs.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Saw a new Impala in the wild for the first time. It was pearl white entering a ramp. The female driver was acting like she stole it; she made 5 lane changes in less than a mile on the 5 lane interstate to take an east bound I70 ramp. The car had regular plates--not dealer plates.

I stopped at a local store with 2 Impalas on the lot. They were LT2 level cars. It was rainy and getting dark so I couldn't see inside very well.

Great looking car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Oh, on the Tesla, forgot the best part. The license plate.

I believe it was "4getoil"

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Saw a truckload of still-wrapped X5s this morning - that run has to be ending soon. Also a white Tesla S.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Both the 500 and the Beetle are chic cars. I am not being prejudicial, just truthful. I see 500's all the time here in the DC are, and have never seen a man in one.

On the Beetle, I have only seen a few of them, (no men there either) and there is a VW dealer less than 4 miles from here! I bet their sales are not what WV had hoped. VW tried to "butch up" the Beetle with this new version, and they even have a funny commercial with three guys in ski masks driving one in winter.

See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuijhUn0pk

They show one of the guy's in a convenience store and upon getting to the counter with his snacks the store keeper, horrified; says "I don't want any trouble". The man gives him the cash and the three boneheads can hear police sirens as they leave the parking lot. One comments "Did you forget to take the mask off?"LMAO.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    The ski mask commercial is great but I doubt it will be any more successful than the new "butch" look at getting men to buy Beetles.

I have actually seen members of the male Gender driving Fiat 500s.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I wonder how Fiat will do with the 500L. Kinda odd looking, to me:
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,951
    well, here I thought the 500 wasn't doing so well based on what I've seen on the road, but then I read in a recent mag that they've sold 44k of the little buggers. Not bad at all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    They are in at least a couple rental fleets, too. I've seen men in them as well, not so much in the Beetle.

Saw a dark red Tesla S this morning, pulling away from a light in a way that would probably get a commoner an "excessive display of speed" style warning. Seeing several new RAV4s around, too.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    In DC, near Washington Circle.

Apparently the 2014 models get upgrades like the Civic it's based on did, but the price jumps by $1000. It was already too expensive. Acura is nuts!
  • Options
    The new Cimarron!
  • Options
    "The new Cimarron! "

HEY HEY HEY - WATCH THE PROFANITY! This is a family - oriented web site! :P
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    Great looking car

I sure like the 2014 Impalas I've seen. And I've seen them run for $27,535 to $39,505 MSRP!

The bottom-end one I saw did not look at all like a bottom-level car, in or out. In fact, the value quotient when looking at the car and that MSRP, is almost astounding.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Used, with temp plates.

Hey, it's new to me. :shades:
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Doesn't sound like the upgrades are nearly as extensive as those on the 13 Civics, either. Your extra $1k gets you new leather, active noise-cancelling, heated seats and a back up cam.

That Civic Si looks better all the time. I smell more incentives in the ILX's future.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited May 2013
    Now your driveway looks bad, You'll have to get that redone. ;)
    Congrats. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Heh, the VW sighting was new to me (they've been out for years now, lol). My ratty old rides still match the ratty driveway fine. :-)
  • Options
    Cheated a bit, since I only saw photos, but my brother's girlfriend just bought one last night.

Silver, fully loaded. I'm proud that she chose a manual trans, the 6 speed combined with the turbo engine should actually be decent fun.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Spotted on my way home form work yesterday...

Had no idea you could buy them in the states. THis one had Rhode island plates.
  • Options
    You can't buy one in the states. It's probably a Canadian that moved here - that's allowed.
  • Options
    Did it have garish paint? Apparently, these are a thing now

I see Canuckistan plated ones in Seattle now and then.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    R8 V10, CLK550, new Boxster S
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh, I see the 500's all over Northern VA and in DC. It is an international area here though so many folks here have no problem at all buying a Fiat. I still have not seen a man in one! Lol.

Speaking of fleet sales and small cars, There is a new kind of car sharing/rental company in DC that uses Smart cars called car2go. https://washingtondc.car2go.com/ There are 1-3 of these white and blue cars on almost every block in the downtown area where I work. You just download their app, pay, and your smart phone unlocks the car! Then off you go! They made a deal with DC government that they can be parked many places w/o tickets. So, customers don't need to feed the meter! What a great idea!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It looks a lot like a Mini Cooper. The larger one.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Quote: "The Altima headlight/fender styling looks a bit unusual to me."

Yep! The new Altima's front end looks like it was stung by bee's. LMAO.

It's a shame, because if they fix that one thing then they have a fine automobile.
  • Options
    I spotted my first BMW X1 today, a silver X-Drive 2.8. The X1 looks noticeably smaller than the X3 in both length and height, in fact it looks to be about the same size as an E46 wagon. That's peachy with me since I'm an automotive minimalist. There seems to be a definite trend toward lower height in the current crop of CUVs but the X1 does have a significant gap between the tire and fender lip that detracts from it's looks IMO as does the big straight up grille (an attempt to give the X1 a "trucky" look?).

Otherwise I think it's pretty good looking inside and out.

• Options
    2 other good things about the X1 - you can get it rwd, and without a sunroof. I fit in the one at the car show, even with the sunroof...hmmmm
  • Options
    There is a new kind of car sharing/rental company in DC that uses Smart cars called car2go.

IIRC, that service is owned by Daimler.
  • Options
    Crashed at a motel in W. Va. tonight and there's a Smart car in the parking lot.

Notable sighting today was a brand new CR-V with dealer plates driving around with the Monroney labels still in place.
  • Options
    Saw 2x Tesla S today, and not new but amusing - a 5er GT and a Panamera in tandem. Money and taste, they diverged.

Also, a Lexus IS cabrio - with the top down. VERY rare to see one with the top down.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I saw one too. I was just at the post office, and one of them was in the adjacent police station parking lot. It had temporary plates... and I think we ALL know why it was blue. It is essentially a Caddy XTS Epsilon 2 platform vehicle with the 3.6 liter V6. There are plans for a Impala SS with a turbo 3.6 as well in the future.
  • Options
    Nice shade of blue. Looks a bit "small".
  • Options
    Day off today, cruised around in the sun, and in-between errands stopped by the Lexus dealer, to see if the new IS is there yet. I was told at least another month off (!) - apparently delayed, as some time ago I swear it was to be out around Memorial Day.

So I browsed for a minute and sat in some cars. LX - big old tank, very comfortable, 90K MSRP. ES - smooth leather, a little tight for those 6' and above - roofline is too rakish. Current IS feels pretty old and isn't for taller people either. Didn't bother with an LS (2 in the showroom), did sit in a GS, this one had the striated metal trim that I like. Leather was soft and smooth - maybe too much so. The wide nav screen is nice, but somehow the metal seems thinner than on my E. A little more equipment for the same money. I noticed the GSs had hangtags with prices ~10% under MSRP - sales slowed. I think all cars in the building had added lojack/tint/chip protectant - maybe 2K worth of junk, not cool.
  • Options
    "ES - smooth leather, a little tight for those 6' and above - roofline is too rakish."

I was hoping that using the Avalon this go round would have helped that, but no dice. I just fit in my '96 ES w/o a sunroof, none of the later ones come that way, so it's a no-go for me. I'd claim they have the IS and GS to be 'rakish', but they didn't ask me...
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I don't know what Toyota's "plan" for the new Avalon was. It was always a nice "tweener" between the Camry and the ES. It was less expensive than the ES, but bigger. Now, it's smaller than the previous models, and rides hard. I don't get it, they killed their core audience IMO.

Saw a new Fiat 500 Abarth. Sharp looking car, just tiny

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    I wonder how the Avalon is inside, compared to the ES. I noticed the A-pillar was OK - a little bit of a close call, but headroom was marginal at best. The car must be designed for people who are about 5'7". Too bad, as I actually think the car looks OK. I think it might have needed more thigh support, too, along with the IS.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Heck, they killed their core audience by making the new Avalon so ferociously ugly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm tellin ya, Toyolex has resurrected Virgil Exner - the one from 1961-62. Maybe the next Lexus LS will have a square steering wheel and a pushbutton transmission.

I saw an Accord Sport this morning - dark blue with a tacky tape pinstripe. Dealers are still sticking on that junk?
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    by making the new Avalon so ferociously ugly.

Yep, I wouldn't touch it on looks alone. Smaller size and rough ride just add to the dislike. My 03 and 06 were great cars. Oh well, I have an all domestic fleet now!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Been seeing a couple SantaFe sport models each day lately, must be selling pretty well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I saw my first BMW Gran Coupe (6Series four door) and it seems just as irrelevant as in photographs. It looks like a Coupe from straight on but from the side it's not different enough from the F10 (current 5 series) to justify an extra $15K IMO.

I also saw a new convertible 3er (E92) looking very spiffy in dark blue with the hardtop up.

Later I saw a Mini Roadster which looked nice despite being off-white but it occurred to me that I have seen very few of these tho they have been out for a while. I think people know instinctively that a two seat roadster should not be driven by the front wheels. Previous attempts at FWD roadsters haven't done well (Mercury Capri). If BMW/Mini were smart they'd turn the Mini drivetrain around and drop it behind the driver. An affordable mid-engined two-seater would fill a much better niche successfully exploited by the MR2 and (to a lesser extent) the X 1/9. They could call it the Mini Sprite :shades: .

• Options
    ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I just received an email from GMInsideNews which contained a link to an article about the new 2014 Silverado. The below quote is NOT encouraging, if you're a fan of GM or Chevy or the Silverado:

There are no twin-turbo powertrains, electronic gear selectors or eight-speed automatics. Instead, Chevy has stuck with what it knows best and improved just about every aspect of the Silverado, from hood to hitch.

Yeah, right, they've improved everything, except their drivetrains, which cannot match the competition.