Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    jpalla1jpalla1 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my beautiful 300c. At 17 miles developed serious rumble/vibration problem. My son said it was the road so we went to new pavement and vibration continued. This happens at all speeds. Went to dealer yesterday for earliest appt.. They said problem could be in the torque converter. Must bring it back tomarrow-3-24-05. Will let you know if they fix it right the first time.
  • Options
    fyeomanfyeoman Member Posts: 4
    I can only hear the whine at speeds between 50 and 55. The whine has always been there.
  • Options
    astroman716astroman716 Member Posts: 12
    Hey guys, my mercedes w/ the 4 matic did the same thing and mercedes told me it was normal with that transmission. Good luck.
  • Options
    espo1espo1 Member Posts: 27
    I too use to have a terrible whine on the passenger side. I could here it at most any speed. Strangle enough when I got divorced it went away.
  • Options
    ollisollis Member Posts: 2
    My 300 Touring AWD has about 3000 miles now and I recognized a few weeks back a vibration which only occurs when I drive beyond 50mph.

While driving I feel the vibration which occurs about every second in the steering wheel, the drivers seat and in the car overall. It feels almost like the tires or whatever are grinding into the street. It's tough to find the right words.

I brought the car to the dealer assuming that the tires weren't balanced right and according to them they balanced them and they could not feel the vibration (well, what else did I expect?!).

The vibration is of course more annoying when the highway surface is even and not bumpy. I don't have a severe problem with the car drifting to the side so I don't know if it would be alignment or if they could be still not balanced right.

Stupid question but if the tires aren't balanced right, wouldn't the vibration occur in a faster and faster interval as higher the speed? It's not the case with my symptom.

Thanks for any comments
  • Options
    moddogmoddog Member Posts: 10
    I just got off the phone with the service department,the guy told me he looked for a TSB and could not fine one.This is something that the district manager told him to do.He also said that this dose not mean that there wont be one for it later. I will post again after they fix it and let you know if it fixed it.

Charlie
  • Options
    rerdrerd Member Posts: 8
    Someone posted a message recently about installing a trunk pull-down from a 99 LHS on the 300 deck lid. Would you please give me instructions on how to install this item on my 300. Thanks.
  • Options
    rooseveltfrooseveltf Member Posts: 2
    Yes, Inoticed the same problem with my 300 Limited yesterday.
  • Options
    jo158jo158 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 Limited and am having the same "whining" although mine is heard at a higher speed - 65-70's. My car has about 8000 miles on it. This is another problem that I can add. It has only been happening for the last month. I think the car is very noisy anyway.
  • Options
    decker3decker3 Member Posts: 10
    Chrysler has not been able to fix the pull on mine, how did you make out with the buy back, my car has 24,000km on it but i have been complaining since the day i picked it up. I am hoping they will buy mine out!!
  • Options
    01wht3501wht35 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I too have this vibration at idle w/AC on. Sometimes the whole car shakes so hard that I think someone was tapped my bumper. My 300 Signature Series purchased 01/11/05 only has 3K on it. Local dealer had it for half a day and found "no codes". Since I DID NOT get a loaner!! I needed the car back after lunch. The dealer wanted to "look" some more, but felt nothing would be found. I do not understand how the dealer expected to keep my car ALL day and tell me that I was not able to get a loaner. As I just read on the DC USA site, 300 owners get loaners during regular service and warranty repairs. This is FIVE STAR service?? As a matter of fact, I took the car in a few days before and was told that it would be 1.5-2 hours for a "courtesy" van to get back to take me 5 miles home!! Point of story is that problem is not resolved and the service at the local dealer has been sub-par. I purchased the car from another dealer about 80 miles away (only they had the Signature Series that day. This may explain some of the slack service at my local DC store. I will let you know if/when I resolve this vibration/shake at idle. Thank you
  • Options
    01wht3501wht35 Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem and have had no luck in getting it resolved (see post # 452). I'll post anything I find out ASAP.
  • Options
    bjsohiobjsohio Member Posts: 69
    First, you need to cut off the plastic clips that extend from the bottom. Then, drill a hole through the plastic part of the strap and a smaller hole in the round, plastic carpet clip beside the trunk latch. I'm right-handed, so I put it on the right. Attach with a short metal screw and you're good to go. I've had mine on since last August and use it a lot.
  • Options
    I've read here that some 300C owners are experiencing pitting on the outermost lip of their rims where the plastic "chrome" ends. Mine are not only pitting, but flaking also. Has anyone had the rims replaced under warranty?
  • Options
    wanatchawanatcha Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem on my 300C. I took delivery last September and the car has 12,000 Wisconsin miles on it. I took it to the dealer this morning to file a complaint. Dealer says this is the first time they've seen this problem and will contact Chrysler. The car has been excellent and what few minor problems I've had the dealer has been very cooperative in correcting them.I've had alloy wheels on all my cars going back to 1977 and have never experienced this problem.
  • Options
    carnut5carnut5 Member Posts: 7
    Just hit the 1,000 mile mark on my 300c, best car I have ever owned and catches more eyes than a red corvette. No problems, very happy owner, thanks Chrysler for creating such a gem!
  • Options
    biglescobarbiglescobar Member Posts: 5
    my 300c should be here by june and im going to install a chrome mesh grill, how can i move the bracket down to just be on the bumper and not cover the grill? any instructions or help would be appreciated as i definitely need to do this, thanks!
  • Options
    51wlfgng5051wlfgng50 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up a 05 300c a week ago, and have noticed that after driving w/the AC running(at its lowest level),I would put it in park/engine off, and water begins to leak from under the car. It leaks for about 15-30 seconds, then stops. It does not occur when AC was not in use.
    Is this a common AC cooling drip(nothing to worry about), or a possible leakage problem that needs to be fixed(something to raise hell about).
  • Options
    tinman1tinman1 Member Posts: 13
    I t is just the AC condensate stop being so par anode
  • Options
    Yo John just left the dealer they will work on my car tomorrow. I will post again after I get it back.There is no TSB right know for it but I do have the part # for the fix. (2 nut springs #4578363-AA/ 1 exhaust resonator #4581869-AG/1 muffler #4581868-AH)parts cost over a $1000.00. I do hope that this will fix the vibration.
    Charlie
  • Options
    jcsganga34jcsganga34 Member Posts: 24
    Charlie,

Thanks for the information! Please let me know if this resolves the problem. I hope that these parts are being covered under warranty? Also, I wonder if a TSB would eventually be made available for this. Thanks again, and I look forward to your updates.

-John
  • Options
    chrisnj1chrisnj1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 300 Limited. From day one When I pull away from a full stop, I hear a knock in the rear end. I took the car back to the dealer and they said it was normal. Has anyone noticed this? Was there a fix?
  • Options
    John

I got my car back today so far there is no vibration that is a good thing.They had it all day and when the mechanic was done he did not like the way the pipes fit.So they sent it over to the local muffler shop to tweak the pipes. Hows that for a 5 star dealer.And for the TSB he said if it becomes one it will take awhile.If it comes back I will post again. I am going to try to post some pictures.

Charlie
  • Options
    jcsganga34jcsganga34 Member Posts: 24
    Charlie,

Thanks a lot! Myself and others at another forum greatly appreciate the information you have provided. Many others have had some severe vibration issues and have been getting some run around from their dealers. They now have some ammo to attack the problem. Please continue to give us updates as to if the vibration resurfaces. Again, Thanks!
  • Options
    John

Let me know how you and the other guys make out with your cars. And what is the other forum you and the others are on. I would like to get in on the discussion if that is ok with you.

Charlie
  • Options
    ativ1ativ1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when the 300C convertible will become available ?? I saw it in a magazine, but the dealer said he knew nothing about it...
  • Options
    cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    A few weeks ago someone had mentioned that a TSB had come out about the flickering lights problem. I'm taking my 300 in for service in a few days and would love to point the dealer in the right direction.
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    John
    Hear is an update over the weak end I heard a rattle in the back of the car right side. Went to the dealer for them to check it out, had to show them wear it was coming from. The service manager did not like the way the exhaust system fit so he is ordering a new one. It will probably take another ten days for it to come in. I`ve been there so many times they are really trying to take care of me . So far I have had the transmission control Module replaced . This was do to a wire that was laying on the emergence brake peddle in the wire harness. It wore a hole in the cover and shorted out . The anti-theft Module went bad and some spots on the paint had to have a touch up. So I am having a lot of fun so far I guess this is one way for a retired person to keep busy. I am on that forum to did not see you there I will look for you there.

Charlie
  • Options
    urizzmurizzm Member Posts: 6
    I also have a limited but it didn't start making the noise until about 4,000 miles. I've been back to the dealer 4 times but it's not fixed. Chrysler even issued a TSB which was performed on my car (and on another customer's car) but it didn't work. Because I've had so many other problems, I'm pursuing the lemon law. This car is certainly not the "car of the year" as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    One of my car mags had a big article on the 300 Helios which was a SEMA creation done by a company that makes hardtops into verts. The mag urged Dieter to have DC make it, but even if they were willing, it said it would be late 2006 to get it into production. Almost a replay of the Cruiser vert. They could have sold a billion of them if they came out with it at the same time as the base Cruiser. Now, I am sure they are selling some, but not nearly what they would have if it had been more timely. On the 300 vert. I am sure they would have had a lot of takers if it was available at day one. But, they were probably unsure how the 300C's "love it/hate it" design would go over, so they were cautious about over commitment. Strangely, most of the 300M owners that were polled by the Club were 80% negative on the new 300 exterior design. [I was one of the negatives and bought a 04 Vette instead, but kept my 99 M.] So, it just goes to show that the fact we loved our M's and were negative on the C was no predictor of how the rest of the world would view the C. Course the Hemi may have had a lot to do with the acceptance of the design by a lot of people. Anyway, it looks like it will be quite a while before they take a shot at a vert. if they ever do.
  • Options
    themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    I have an 05 Limited and my car has no gas gap holder when I go to fill up, I have to be very careful with the cap.

Any of your guys have a holder in the lid, like on my Hyundai and Dodge1500?
    On those cares you screw the cap into the lid while filling up.. works perfect.

lmk

stan
  • Options
    buzcutbuzcut Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed a similiar problem with my Touring Signature Series. Once I hit 60 mph. the car starts vibrating from the front and the check engine light starts flashing. I have a co-worker with the exact same car and his starting doing it about a month before mine. He has taken it to the dealer 4 times now with no progress. I am taking mine in for the first time on this next week.
  • Options
    lennylenny Member Posts: 29
    I just spend 1/2 day really detailing the 300c and found the entire car still looks GREAT except the Chrome Rims. Several areas where the Chrome has come off and I see the white/gray plastic from underneath. This is the problem my earlier posts were talking about. Also the dealer told me that with this rim there would be no need to remove these for the winter. Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone tried to return to dealer for replacement under warranty? It says the entire car is covered for 12 months/ 12,000 miles except tires. Mine was bought in June 04 and has only 3200 miles on it.
  • Options
    lennylenny Member Posts: 29
    Did you ever get your Chrome rims replaced? Did Chrysler replace as part of warranty? Looking to take mine in soon.
  • Options
    skeeschickskeeschick Member Posts: 1
    I have what I thought was a tire problem and I called a vibration. It is from 59 to 69 miles per hour only on certain roads. First the changed some sensor, then they couldn't find the vibration, then the put a new torque converter. Today is the 13th day they have had my vehicle and they ordered me a new transmission. Actually the service guy said it was a violent shutter not a vibration. I am really getting tired of all of this. These last two weeks have been beautiful and I would love to drive my car. I will keep you posted.

Looking for more comments!
  • Options
    cneubertcneubert Member Posts: 1
    I took mine in and the dealer told me they would order me a new set under warranty but that due to the cost of these rims Chrysler would only replace them once so I might want to wait until they were worse before having them replaced. Mine aren't too bad yet so I'm trying to deicde what to do. I may look into aftermarket coating fro them. If I can find it at a reasonable price I'll get the replacements and get them coated immediately. I'm also holding out some hope that they'll recognize the problem and come up with some solution.
  • Options
    donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Another forum on the new Chrysler 300 has had dozens of complaints on flaking and pitting. Sounds like most of them will get a free replacement from their dealers. Hope Chrysler has rectified the problem and these guys aren't getting another set like they are turning in. Owned a 99' LHS that I bought new and had rusting and pitting problems from day 1. Was already to order a 300C AWD until I read all the postings on pulling to the right and many transmission problems and too many other ailments so I passed. Will pick up a Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD on Tuesday.
  • Options
    tinman1tinman1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 300C awd and have no problems at all, I think you only hear from the one with the problems I think you made a mistake my car is great, after owning only Audis I have changed.
  • Options
    arnoldwarnoldw Member Posts: 28
    I truly feel sorry for you...you gave in to your fears. I've owned my 300C for almost a year now and it's truly been the best car I've owned. I was also a bit leery at first after reading about some of the problems that SOME people have had. Absolutely no regrets here....you missed out on a fine automobile.
  • Options
    300ctoronto300ctoronto Member Posts: 1
    I too noticed that the rims were pitted along the edges closest to the wheels which appears not to be coated with the same chrome as the rest of the wheel. I have not gone to the dealer yet. I was wondering if they indicated they would replace them past 12 months of use or if there was no limit provided the car was still under warranty? If they have this problem with all the 300Cs built they will have quite a problem on their hands and may become less generous in replacing the rims.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    It really is a shame to hear all this stuff about flaking off the rims. My 300M came with Chrome Razorstars and I am almost at 7 years of ownership now [July 27], and the chrome rims still look great. Course I wash them with mild detergent and warm water twice a week, and occasionally use some of that new Turtlewax liquid stuff on em just so they sheet off any crappy splashes. They shine like new, and it is sad to see DC use some crap instead on the new car. Who wouldn't have paid a few hundred more for the chrome? Well, maybe a little more, since the complete spare wheel and tire was $365 on the window sticker, and the Badyear tire couldn't have been worth more than $100.
  • Options
    dtreatdtreat Member Posts: 2
    Talk about problems. I've owned my 300 for several months, and has been in and out of the shop several times. My first oil change they found the rear seal leaking, then my fog light fell out, then I had a bell ringing for no reason took a couple months to figure out what that was. It was my navigation system in error of course it took several months for me to convince the dealership to fix it. which is in the shop as I type, they finally decided to replace it. then my windshield wipers started acting up but because the computer shows no error in the system they cant fix it. then while the car was in the shop they put a nice big scratch down the side of my car so now I'm fighting with it trying to get it fixed. I have contacted a Lawyer to see if theirs anything I can do. I'm worried whats next. Has anyone had any of the problems I have? :lemon:
  • Options
    I've had mine since August 04. The only thing that went wrong was the rear drivers side window quit working. They replaced the window motor, no problem. I do also have a non-mechanical problem...pitting on all 4 rims.
  • Options
    dennisfedennisfe Member Posts: 12
    300 C, best car I have owned except the front end. Pulled to the right when I bought it last July. Pulled really bad, wore the front tires right off. Chrysler put new tires on the front and aligned. Car still pulled. Factory rep. Dave Mower for Chrysler, Denver came and aligned the front end. Did a great job. Does not pull anymore. Front tires still wore. Chrysler bought 2 more tires. Now car has 25,000 and tires are still wearing bad on the outside. Trying to get Chrysler to fix the car.
  • Options
    Mine stuck, there is a new download from Chrysler that fixes this problem. It is just a computer update.
  • Options
    No transmission problems for me but Temp did stick and my dealer fixed it. There was a new download for the computer and it took care of it.
    Tires are another problem. Chrysler has bought me 2 sets of tires and front end is still chewing tires up. Been aligned 4 times. Doesn't pull anymore but still not right.
  • Options
    I have had 2 sets of tires that Chrysler put on and pull is gone after 4 alignments but tires are still wearing on the outside.
    Chrysler doesn't really want to help anymore
  • Options
    geislergeisler Member Posts: 1
    I've tried several right-out-of-the-package brand new CDs, and the player skips, roughly about five or six times during the course of any given CD. It is not related to going over bumps, or having the volume up too loud, it seems to be random. I've had them replace it once, and the new one is skipping again. I own many CD players, including ones in other vehicles, and this is the only one that skips. I suspect that the dealership may not have actually put a new one in as they contend, but I have no proof to back up my suspicion. Perhaps it is a defective model? I'm having the dealership replace it yet again, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? I've got the 368-watt 6-disc CD player. Please let me know.
  • Options
    jjohnson1jjohnson1 Member Posts: 10
    It seems to me, after reading about all of the issues with owners cars consistently pulling to the right, that something else needs to be done. I'm sensing that dealers are doing the minimum to fix the problem and then washing their hands of the issue after that. Well, maybe it will take all of the owners with this particular problem to do one of two things..

1) Initiate a class action lawsuit against Chrysler due to their inability and resistance to correct this problem..

2) Contact a television program like 60 Minutes, etc. to do a special interest story on this problem. It sounds like their is no shortage of people that could be interviewed to put substantial pressure on Chrysler to acknowledge that this is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with immediately and to the complete satisfaction of its customers. Major companies do not like adverse, bad publicity. It hurts their profit margin and the bottom line for them is "MONEY". I'd suggest that someone "grab the bulls by the horn" so to speak and start the ball rolling. It's going to be a grass roots effort but one I think could put pressure on Chrysler and get them to do the right thing. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    rerdrerd Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the instuctions on installing the trunk pull down. I installed mine a few days ago and whatta nice idea !!! My wife loves it--she said the deck lid is so slippery she had a tough time pulling it down before. Everyone should install this low-cost item on their 300's. Thanks again !
This discussion has been closed.