Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited September 2016
    I thought I was a low mileage driver these days, but 25/8 = 3k miles per year, I take my hat off to the new champ!

@oldfarmer50 is going to be all over this one when she decides to sell!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,710
    I only put about 3K on my Acura in the last year. Short commute for the wife, and we take my car most of the time. Now at about 35K in 4 years.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,297
    I'm mailing off my Battery Tender Plus for its third warranty replacement since I got it in 2012 (it has a 10 year warranty). This one died quietly (it quit charging and the lights no longer illuminate). One of the previous ones burned up a capacitor inside my garage, which stunk the place up for weeks.

If you're looking for a battery charger/maintainer, I'd recommend one of the CTek products or the Battery Minder (not Battery Tender).
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,978
    She hardly used her vehicle the last 4 years as she lived right across the street from school. Leave it to my wife to find the closest apartment to the pharmacy school at Nova/Southeast. Now that it's here, am going to start using it a bit more so we can keep some miles off my Golf and the A3. Just needs a good detail and an oil change since it's been a year now.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Also, I installed a dashcam in the Murano this afternoon. It was easy to find a switched 12v wire using a test light. Took less than an hour.

(The most recent reason for the dashcam is a near-miss with a blithering idiot cyclist that ignored a very clearly marked four-way stop.)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,488
    edited September 2016
    Here is an interesting 2016 Ford Escape SE

It is a 2016 with 16K miles. Ford CPO. Asking just over $20K. It has some interesting goodies for being an SE and not a TITANIUM including the upgraded 2.0L Turbo Charged Engine, & Pano Roof, Power Rear Lift gate.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    The same Ford dealer also has this 2014 Mustang GT with such desirable options such as: 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Brembro Brake Package, & Cloth Recaro Seats.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Drove a '16 Escape on Friday and did like it overall, almost bought a SE back in the end of 2013. It had 1818 miles on it because it was just traded back for a Titanium model. They finally met my price plus the tablet but when we brought it home, it just fit in the garage...barely. The salesguy says "no problem" but wasn't to sure. The wife nixed the idea and said to go for something smaller and ended up with the Tucson, which fit nicely.
    Looking back, the wrong decision all the way around and I finally got out of a bad situation.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

Drove a '16 Escape on Friday and did like it overall, almost bought a SE back in the end of 2013. It had 1818 miles on it because it was just traded back for a Titanium model. They finally met my price plus the tablet but when we brought it home, it just fit in the garage...barely. The salesguy says "no problem" but wasn't to sure. The wife nixed the idea and said to go for something smaller and ended up with the Tucson, which fit nicely.
    Looking back, the wrong decision all the way around and I finally got out of a bad situation.

In ther end you made the right decision. You seem VERY happy with your Golf TSI!

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    The locals here in Southwest OH were "treated" with torrential downpours on Saturday afternoon. I think I had heard there was 3-4 inches of rain which fell in an hour, and it kept falling after that.

Was at a rather large charitable social gathering, where I had to park in a grassy field because the gatherhing had become so big. As I'm literally sloshing to my car, still in the rain (with shoes off, since there were doing me no good at this point), the field had large pools of standing water covering the entire field, and the "trail" going out to the road was rutted and nothing but deep mud.

I saw SUVS and 4WD trucks stuck all over the place. I did not feel good about the prospects of pulling the CTS out of this lot at all. I had pretty much resigned myself to call my son to come pick me up on the paved part of the road.

Decided to at least give it a shot. Threw my muddy shoes in the trunk. Pulled out an old golf towel to put under my feet on the driver's side to keep it from getting muddy, and started it up.

Put it in gear. No slop, no spinning, it literally swam its way out of the parking lot with no drama. I was amazed and have to give a tip of the cap to the Caddy.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Nicely equipped escape. Not sure I could take that color blue though! As a CPO, looks like a real good deal.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,006
    I really have to stop window shopping. Even though I still likely have 2 months in the VW, I find myself sorely disappointed the JGC with the pretty brown interior is gone.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413
    edited September 2016
    qbrozen said:

I really have to stop window shopping. Even though I still likely have 2 months in the VW, I find myself sorely disappointed the JGC with the pretty brown interior is gone.

If it makes you feel any better, I watched a 2014 JGC Limited combust in a parking lot while I was in Philadelphia two weeks ago. Spoke to the owner while we waited for the FD, and he has owned it since new, dealer serviced, no issues. Ran into a store, came back and the engine compartment was smoking - didn't take long for it to start up in flames after. Someone knocked it down with a fire extinguisher fairly quickly.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Given some of the reliability ratings I've seen for the JGC, maybe he set it on fire himself? B)
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413

Given some of the reliability ratings I've seen for the JGC, maybe he set it on fire himself? B)

I don't blame Jeep. It happens.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Perhaps a Samsung 7 on the front seat?
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,243
    It has a Fiat link, just like Ferrari,
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Also not a paragon of reliability.

From Cheat Sheet:

"FCA is taking one hell of a pummeling this year. Try as it might, the Jeep brand has once again ranked poorly after numerous CR tests and reviews. After receiving the worst predicted reliability rating, a 55 road test score, and a review that doesn’t recommend a single model, the off-road king now has an overall score of only 43. We may have been impressed by the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and the fun little turbocharged Renegade Sport seen here, but apparently there’s more to the equation than meets the eye."

PS: Fiat score, the lowest, was 38.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    Jeeps have NEVER been anywhere near the top (or even the middle) of the reliability rankings. Have a company like Fiat as part of the picture, just makes matters worse. No surprise, but still you have to wonder after all this time that they couldn't even make up a small increment towards the positive when it comes to reliability.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

Also not a paragon of reliability.

From Cheat Sheet:

"FCA is taking one hell of a pummeling this year. Try as it might, the Jeep brand has once again ranked poorly after numerous CR tests and reviews. After receiving the worst predicted reliability rating, a 55 road test score, and a review that doesn’t recommend a single model, the off-road king now has an overall score of only 43. We may have been impressed by the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and the fun little turbocharged Renegade Sport seen here, but apparently there’s more to the equation than meets the eye."

PS: Fiat score, the lowest, was 38.

Q owns a Land Rover. He isn't afraid of anything.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Life as a car guy would suck if I followed CR. ;b

Well, regardless of their rankings, Jeep manages to have strong resale values on some models. Go figure.

Speaking of the Land Rover, it has killed its battery a couple of times and I can't figure out why. Wife goes to unlock it in the morning and it is flat dead. I put the charger on and check to see if doors open, lights on, what have you, and there is nothing. First time, I charged her up and it worked fine for a good 6 weeks or so up until the same thing happened at the end of last week. Very curious.

On another note, I used it to tow my utility trailer for the first time this weekend. Brought back a trunk full of random items with a riding mower and snow blower attachment for the John Deere on the trailer. I'd estimate maybe 200 lbs in the trunk and 800 lbs on the trailer. Easy enough work and didn't feel like I was pulling anything at all. 2nd trip had similar weight in the trunk and only a few hundred pounds on the trailer in the form of a couple of push mowers and leaf sweeper thing. Much more manageable rig than attaching the trailer to the minivan, but the lack of a backup camera sure hinders things in reverse.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Land Rover scores *higher* than Jeep---that's scary.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Indeed it is.

I'd bet an extended warranty is still a small fortune cheaper on the Jeep, though. Wonder if they offer a lifetime warranty like we got on the wife's T&C.

I tried searching online. Found a lifetime powertrain, but not lifetime b-to-b like we got. Then again, I can't seem to find the lifetime b-to-b for chrysler anymore, either. Maybe they discontinued that offering.

• Options
    I would opt for two lifetimes, just in case.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,157
    It may just be me but it seems I am hearing about a lot more car fires of late. Locally it seems like we have one on the news every week which never used to be the case. Or maybe they just are getting video of them now from all the passersby with smartphones.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Actually thinking of getting an extended warranty for the Golf. Hit 22K this morning and will be 2 years of ownership come December 12th. So, I really need to get moving on this sooner than later. Now a bit sorry I didn't ask about one when I bought the thing in 2014. Where would I look now for one? Do I go back to my local VW store and ask them or does someone know of another way to get a good extended warranty for my Golf? Do like it and if it behaves like it has been, can see keeping it for as many years as it works.
    If I were to buy something new, right now, think it would have to be the Honda HR-V though I'd rather wait for the next generation to be honest. Hate the knobless infotainment system, a lot! And I've read that it's a bit underpowered for the class. Usually things like this are corrected in the fourth year refresh or the brand new model. Just not sure going the CPO MB or BMW route is something I could deal with as I expect to be fully retired when I purchase again.
    But, first things first and that's getting an extended warranty. So folks, give me some suggestions here!

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,734
    My suggestion is set aside in an interest earning account the amount you'd pay for an extended warranty each month, and when the time comes for your first claim, you are guaranteed no one will deny your claim or argue the part that needs fixing is excluded.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I have funds put away but VW's are not known for their stellar reliability and I knew this going in. I made that choice but now as I get closer to the 36K mark, I'm beginning to think about how long do I want to keep it and since I do love it, just want to be covered for things that might happen. But not willing to spend over a certain amount to keep it running if it starts to nickel and dime me. And if am still working past my December of 2017 proposed date, need a dependable vehicle. Was hoping to own it possibly eight or so years.

• Options
    always better to get the warranty (if you want one, I never get them) from the manufacturer. so go ahead and ask your dealer how much.

and look here (if there is a thread) for deals on them. Or check one of the big VW specific "fanboy" sites. They usually have some salespeople active or dealers that sell them real cheap (same exact thing you would buy from your local guy). Can always use that price as leverage. I know you could do this some years back when I bought my odyssey and was considering it.

• Options
    Just found one on a google.com search. Will call and get a quote and then go to my dealer and see which is the better one. Just not sure I trust my luck here unlike owning a Japanese or Korean model, then I'd just let it go as I've never bought one before on any vehicle. But have a strange feeling here as am not sure really how long I'm gonna keep it. Even my mechanic said, "You guys are leasing both, right"? Even he said he wouldn't want to own a Audi/VW out of warranty, which I did mention to the wife but she thought we'd be o k. But, she only plans to keep hers for maybe 3 to 5 years to begin with, no long term ownership in her mind here.
    So will do my research this week and then go from there. Think if the HR-V had been out at the same time, might have gone that route...just not sure, as I really do love our current fleet, a lot!

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,304

Actually thinking of getting an extended warranty for the Golf. Hit 22K this morning and will be 2 years of ownership come December 12th. So, I really need to get moving on this sooner than later. Now a bit sorry I didn't ask about one when I bought the thing in 2014. Where would I look now for one? Do I go back to my local VW store and ask them or does someone know of another way to get a good extended warranty for my Golf? Do like it and if it behaves like it has been, can see keeping it for as many years as it works.
    If I were to buy something new, right now, think it would have to be the Honda HR-V though I'd rather wait for the next generation to be honest. Hate the knobless infotainment system, a lot! And I've read that it's a bit underpowered for the class. Usually things like this are corrected in the fourth year refresh or the brand new model. Just not sure going the CPO MB or BMW route is something I could deal with as I expect to be fully retired when I purchase again.
    But, first things first and that's getting an extended warranty. So folks, give me some suggestions here!

Call Troy at fd-warranty.com
  • Options
    Sandy, you have another year of b to b warranty, and 2 years IIRC of powertrain after that. You really don't have much financial exposure. especially if you are not planning to keep it much past 5 years. Those warranties are not cheap either, so do all the math, and most people don't come out ahead. especially if you have the money to cover a repair if it does come up.

if you are really that afraid of it, and it stresses you, get something else. But not an HR-V. It is really slow, and I know you won't keep it.

• Options
    This is a pretty thing:

1997 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe 993

No mention of the dreaded IMS bearing service, maybe this one doesn't need it?

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    Extended warranties make financial sense to the people selling them, not the people buying them. Otherwise they wouldn't be available.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,007
    ab348 said:

This is a pretty thing:

IMS issues aren't applicable to the air-cooled Porsches.

The prices for those have gone nuts. Wish I had bought one about 5-7 years ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348 said:

This is a pretty thing:

IMS is not an issue with a 993 model. They use a completely different type of bearing for the intermediate shaft.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,425
    kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

This is a pretty thing:

IMS issues aren't applicable to the air-cooled Porsches.

The prices for those have gone nuts. Wish I had bought one about 5-7 years ago.
    Me too... :'(

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Non-original paint and added body parts and wheels will ding the value.
  • Options

Non-original paint and added body parts and wheels will ding the value.

Yeah.. .did I miss the asking price?

Seems like it wasn't in that great of shape. Not loving the idea of a re-painted Porsche. No telling what that is hiding.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I think it's an auction. Not a good idea with a rehab car. I suspect the 993 wave has crested anyway.
  • Options
    now that, is a nice car. I must be missing something. no price, but mention of bidding, but no where to bid?

what the heck is market value on one of those now?

• Options
    stickguy said:

now that, is a nice car. I must be missing something. no price, but mention of bidding, but no where to bid?

what the heck is market value on one of those now?

$50K+.. Sometimes, a lot of ++++++

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    given what a new one costs, I might rather pay 50 for that one.

• Options
    I don't need it, but for basic transit, or especially a HS kids car, this looks like a really good deal for the price. If it was a comparably equipped Toyonda, probably have to add at least another $5K to the asking price.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2011-chevrolet-malibu-4dr_sedan_lt_w_slash_1lt-used-15479226.html

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

Just found one on a google.com search. Will call and get a quote and then go to my dealer and see which is the better one. Just not sure I trust my luck here unlike owning a Japanese or Korean model, then I'd just let it go as I've never bought one before on any vehicle. But have a strange feeling here as am not sure really how long I'm gonna keep it. Even my mechanic said, "You guys are leasing both, right"? Even he said he wouldn't want to own a Audi/VW out of warranty, which I did mention to the wife but she thought we'd be o k. But, she only plans to keep hers for maybe 3 to 5 years to begin with, no long term ownership in her mind here.
    So will do my research this week and then go from there. Think if the HR-V had been out at the same time, might have gone that route...just not sure, as I really do love our current fleet, a lot!

A lot of folks don't suggest extended warranties. I've bought them on the last several cars; in each case they all paid for themselves in repairs after 3/36. I even got one on our Civic in 2002 - which also paid for itself.

It is a matter of choice. We have one on our 2014 Passat (because it is a VW), to 100K. But of course when we turn the car in we will get a refund on the unused portion.
  • Options
    I bought the 5 year/100K Subaru Gold Warranty when I got my Legacy. I'll let you know if it pays for itself. I'm out of warranty right now with 37,200 on the clock. My plan also includes wheel & tire insurance which is pro rated after 50K miles. The 17" alloys are cheap too if I ever curb one or break it which seems impossible given the size of the sidewall. I think it was $1,400. I took it because my 2015 Legacy is was a brand new body style at the time.

• Options
    Will check prices and go from there, just not sure. I just know that my Golf is truly the best vehicle I've ever owned in terms of fun. I enjoy driving it every time I turn out of the driveway! Must admit, enjoyed that 1 Series a lot also except that it felt super heavy on take off. Need to drive a 3 Series again as it felt just about right when I drove one a couple years back. It's just a bit bigger than I'd like.
    Think I also need to test drive a HR-V to see just why I seem to like it so much. Love the interior of the EX-L, felt very much at home in it. Figure I'd manage with the knobless infotainment center and wouldn't really care over time. Just afraid that Stick is right and I would get bored with it really soon after owning the Golf. Need to find out prices on the warranty and really weigh my options here. As of now, very doubtful that I'll take over the wife's A3 down the line as I'd probably want new after a short while and will be stuck. Luckily, no decisions have to be made at 2:49 a m. Think I'll just go back to bed as gotta go to work in a few hours and I'm tired.

(P.S. The garage is acting like it's possessed again, stopping mid-way when going either up or down. Getting pretty annoying for us so got on thumbtack.com to try and find someone to come out and diagnose the issue. It's our 3rd Sears unit within 29 years of living here. If I need a new one, not going to go with Sears again. And might even go with a belt driven unit if it needs replacing. What's a decent brand that won't break the bank? This is the last unit I want to put in while living here if need be, as I don't see us here past 6 or so years from now.)

• Options
    The garage door issue is probably related to your safety sensors, not the unit. If you've bumped them, or possible bent the track near the side of the door opening, that could set them off.

10-12 years for a garage door opener seems about right.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    If memory serves, there is a force limiter on both the upward and downward motion of the opener. May just need to be adjusted, or the door could be catching somewhere at the midpoint or need to be lubricated. 

After being burned with a bunch of repairs on the Yukon, I bought the CarMax warranty on the Murano for five years / 125k odometer miles. I'm at around 58k and haven't needed to use it yet. 
  • Options

I think it's an auction. Not a good idea with a rehab car. I suspect the 993 wave has crested anyway.

Yeah, it's here:

eBay link

This is out of Chip Lamb's operation in Savannah, Ga., who seems to have many nice cars of all types, from classics to newer stuff like this, go through there.