Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    We drove a CRV before we got the RDX. It was a nice package. Just rolled a bit, and was way down on power from the Acura. But it would have been fine I guess (especially if I never let the wife try an RDX).

the redesign a year or 2 back helped with the power at least. Sounds like the new engine will be even better. Plus now the tech and toys blows our 2013 Acura into the weeds (that has a real antiquated infotainment set up).

Maybe I can get the wife to swap out next year.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    corvette said:
    2017 CR-V - looks like a nice small CUV. Volume knob isn't a big deal to me, as I use the controls on the steering wheel 99% of the time. I haven't seen all 50 photos, but the wood trim seems like a bit much in a mainstream CUV--maybe save it for the RDX? I'm not terribly fond of wood trim, regardless.
    I see wood trim like that in a Honda and think another seam where it can rattle....I'd rather have soft touch plastics that don't rattle. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439

nyccarguy said:
    No way would I pay $42k for a car that only runs the quarter in the high thirteens- but $35k? I'd at least consider it.
    Considering my Legacy gets to 60 mph in about the high 13s (LOL), it isn't all that bad.

I know in my heart of hearts that a V8 is the way to go in a muscle car, but the difference in 0-60 mph times between the 3.5L V6 (6.4 sec) & 5.7L V8 (5.9) is a half second. They now offer a $699 Power Pack for Ecoboost Mustangs that bumps the horsepower to 335.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    V6 Challenger or EcoBoost Mustang? I'd probably go with the Mustang just for its ability to be pumped up to 335hp without killing the warranty. Of course you could pick up a CPO M235i like mine for around $35k- and Dinan tweaks can get you close to 400hp.
    Just sayin'... B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2016
    C+D test of a 2015 Charger R/T [ heavier than a Challenger ] shows 0-60 5.1 sec.
    And their test of a 2016 V6 shows 6.2.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

Welp. The GTI is back at the dealer, albeit a new one, per VW corporate's suggestion. No transmission slipping this weekend, but it started getting down on power again in first/second gear and I started getting a quirky flash on the screen when I was starting the car about the car needing to be in Park to start (which it was).

Took it to the new dealer and the service advisor brought out a VCDS to scan codes - which it found 3. It found two emissions control system codes and one transmission lever fault code. All three were "intermittent" which isn't surprising, but he saved and recorded them and car is going to be spending the night AGAIN.

Progress...

Glad they at least found some faults. The Touareg has been back at the dealer since early Wednesday morning, haven't heard anything from them but I did a drive by last night and it has at least moved parking spots in their service area, so I guess that's progress? :)

Question on the fault codes, did you ever get any warning lights on the dash? I'm curious as to whether or not codes may be stored but no lights come on, seems plausible depending on the code and how often it occurs. I haven't had the Check Engine or EPC light come on but wondering if I might have some codes stored as well.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,418
  • Options
    jpp5862 said:
    Welp. The GTI is back at the dealer, albeit a new one, per VW corporate's suggestion. No transmission slipping this weekend, but it started getting down on power again in first/second gear and I started getting a quirky flash on the screen when I was starting the car about the car needing to be in Park to start (which it was). Took it to the new dealer and the service advisor brought out a VCDS to scan codes - which it found 3. It found two emissions control system codes and one transmission lever fault code. All three were "intermittent" which isn't surprising, but he saved and recorded them and car is going to be spending the night AGAIN. Progress...
    Glad they at least found some faults. The Touareg has been back at the dealer since early Wednesday morning, haven't heard anything from them but I did a drive by last night and it has at least moved parking spots in their service area, so I guess that's progress? :) Question on the fault codes, did you ever get any warning lights on the dash? I'm curious as to whether or not codes may be stored but no lights come on, seems plausible depending on the code and how often it occurs. I haven't had the Check Engine or EPC light come on but wondering if I might have some codes stored as well.
    The system will only throw lights if the faults exist for an extended period. Intermittent faults will be stored but not throw a CEL or EPC light. 
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,954
    This is quite a screaming deal. When is the VW court date? Tuesday? Sigh.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    breld said:

C&D, only half-jokingly, touts the return of the volume knob for this newest Honda.

Hey, no joke. I hate, hate HATE radios without volume knobs.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

You okay with that color?
  • Options
    more than OK. I actually like it. Better than black or silver, which most seem to be.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I will probably go at lunch today to check out this one. Just to make sure the EX meets my needs/wants.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @qbrozen - I'm curious to hear your reactions. For the money, the EX does offer a lot with the nice V6, but it definitely felt cramped to me. How cheap are used GLAs getting these days?

On the Mustang talk, I saw an ecoboost model yesterday - how was I so sure it was the ecoboost? They put some aftermarket badge on the side that said "2.3T" on the side that mimicked the look of the "5.0" badge. And below that was an "ecoboost" badge. :o

I respect the ecoboost model and could even see trying one out some day - but I wouldn't add badges to boast of it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2016

The system will only throw lights if the faults exist for an extended period. Intermittent faults will be stored but not throw a CEL or EPC light. 

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Maybe if they ever look at mine they'll find some codes.....
  • Options
    Well that's true. Somethin' different. Got it.
  • Options
    breld said:

@qbrozen - I'm curious to hear your reactions. For the money, the EX does offer a lot with the nice V6, but it definitely felt cramped to me. How cheap are used GLAs getting these days?

On the Mustang talk, I saw an ecoboost model yesterday - how was I so sure it was the ecoboost? They put some aftermarket badge on the side that said "2.3T" on the side that mimicked the look of the "5.0" badge. And below that was an "ecoboost" badge. :o

I respect the ecoboost model and could even see trying one out some day - but I wouldn't add badges to boast of it.

There is a lightly used GLA local to me for $29,995.

The GLA and QX30 are silly small, though. A Volvo XC70 or Outback sits higher than those. I THINK the EX is taller. The EX, as a matter of fact, is only something like 1 inch lower than an FX.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Well, IMO the GLA is a more acceptable choice than the CLA, but with both being built off the M-B "A" car platform there are some compromises, and they have cheaper interior materials than the rest of the line. But the GLA seems to pull off the concept better than the sedan does.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    breld said:

Worse, I've seen some V6 Mustangs running around here with "3.7" badges on them!

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    I wonder if the 2.3 mustang works better than the 2.3 MKC I drove. I really did not think the engine was sporty enough. Very narrow powerband.

• Options
    breld said:

That's bad. I have no problem with someone driving a 4cyl or V6 Mustang, but that's not something to flaunt.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    qbrozen said:

that is pretty. I wouldn't mind having that. I thought though they were too small for you?

odd carfax. sold twice, and looks like sold by a dodge dealer in february, and somehow ended up at Jaguar in April? and they have had it for 6 months.

that is only 15 minutes from me. Always happy to pop in and look!

• Options
    wandered the local automall today while waiting on service. will post more thoughts later on stuff I saw.

but I did find a Roadburner special. CPO M235i, manual trans, and moonroof delete. Must be a rare configuration. It was even his color (white). Just noticed they have it mislabeled as an AT in the ad. that might keep down inquiries (or get a lot of disappointed people)

http://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/detail-2015-bmw-2_series-m235i-used-15499067.html

• Options
    edited October 2016
    stickguy said:

wandered the local automall today while waiting on service. will post more thoughts later on stuff I saw.

but I did find a Roadburner special. CPO M235i, manual trans, and moonroof delete. Must be a rare configuration. It was even his color (white). Just noticed they have it mislabeled as an AT in the ad. that might keep down inquiries (or get a lot of disappointed people)

http://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/detail-2015-bmw-2_series-m235i-used-15499067.html

Funny you mention that, we have an Alpine White M240i xDrive with the moonroof delete.and every other option. I've driven an M235i stick and I liked it okay but something felt a little odd about it- at least compared to other BMW manuals I have driven. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. That said, I'm still loving the Jekyll and Hyde nature of my 2 Series- Blitzkrieg or Geezer mode- take your pick!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,418
    qbrozen said:

I will probably go at lunch today to check out this one. Just to make sure the EX meets my needs/wants.

I think the EX35 is down about 50 HP from the EX37. Both fast, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I did think the EX would be too small for me, but today was the first time I sat in one. It isn't roomy by any means but, ya know, it is just enough I think. I quickly found a comfortable seating position and there was still some semblance of legroom behind me. Not for an adult, mind you, but should be fine for my 10-yr-old for a while. I really liked the interior and it is pretty darned attractive.

The VQ engine is exactly as you'd expect. The ride is very tight and sporty, which suits me just fine. Handling is sharp. I think this is a real nice intermediate step between sports sedan and SUV. I like it a lot. It has moved to the top of the list. I don't even see a point in trying the FX at this point.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

I think the EX35 is down about 50 HP from the EX37. Both fast, though.
    28 hp, actually.
    If that ex37 hangs around long enough, I would definitely take that for just a couple grand more.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Welp. The GTI is back at the dealer, albeit a new one, per VW corporate's suggestion. No transmission slipping this weekend, but it started getting down on power again in first/second gear and I started getting a quirky flash on the screen when I was starting the car about the car needing to be in Park to start (which it was).

Took it to the new dealer and the service advisor brought out a VCDS to scan codes - which it found 3. It found two emissions control system codes and one transmission lever fault code. All three were "intermittent" which isn't surprising, but he saved and recorded them and car is going to be spending the night AGAIN.

Progress...

Sounds like two steps forward at least! Seems to me VW is active in providing you good customer service, albeit it seems you got a quirky GTI. Also, your first dealer doesn't seem to have very good techs. Has this GTI had any problems prior to these transmission issues? Wasn't there some turbo issue? Time to list all the issues your car has had for us to digest.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I see the EX as just a high riding G37 hatchback. Which is perfect for me. I might stop and look at that one, just for the heck of it.

I like more compact anyway. I know that an FX would never work for me.

• Options
    Same here, of course. And the EX is something like 400 lb lighter than the FX. That is quite significant.

Just saw that the premium package has XM real-time traffic in the nav system. The one I drove didn't have Nav. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but now that I know it does traffic, I'd rather get the Nav. Davis Hyundai has a 2012 with 23k miles and premium for just $22,000. Sadly, it has black guts, though. Still leaning toward that EX37. :)

• Options

• Options
    While we are looking at Infinitis, here's a Red 2013 G37xS:

http://www.cpo.infinitiusa.com/browse-inventory/06902/Stamford/Infiniti-G37/details-gwbvw2y

32K Miles - $26,995 Asking Price - Located near my In Laws "Honey, I'd LOVE to go out to your parents' house."

A black 2012 G37xS in NJ

http://www.cpo.infinitiusa.com/browse-inventory/06902/Stamford/Infiniti-G37/details-b9bvljf

22K Miles - $24,950 Asking Price

• Options

V6 Challenger or EcoBoost Mustang? I'd probably go with the Mustang just for its ability to be pumped up to 335hp without killing the warranty. Of course you could pick up a CPO M235i like mine for around $35k- and Dinan tweaks can get you close to 400hp.
    Just sayin'... B)

Are Dinan tweaks warranted by BMW or Dinan?

I think an EcoBoost Mustang at 335 HP starts to get interesting. How much do those things weigh?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    The power loss issue has been around intermittently since June of this year - I couldn't troubleshoot.

In a nutshell:
    (1) Power loss on the low end through second gear
    (2) Slipping feeling and power loss from 1st to 2nd gear
    (3) Poor fuel economy
    (4) Random flashing that the car needs to be in Park to start

Update from this morning:
    (1) They need to replace the DSG shift base - part is on order and won't be in until next week. They want to hold the car. It seems like replacing that isn't a huge deal, but it has potential other ramifications (particularly if this caused an issue while in gear).

(2) Apparently the EVAP codes shown in the scan tool the tech used was in a tool called VCDS (VagCom) which is not the same scan tool that the shop uses (a tool called OTIS). The OTIS scanner is not showing any codes, so they're currently going back to VW to see if the codes shown in VagCom combined with the symptoms I'm describing can lead to action.

The saga continues.
  • Options
    Bradd, my son found his dream audi not too far (I assume) from you. At Audi Waterbury. Colors and options. So he knows at least 1 exists in the country! I'm surprised he hasn't driven down yet to look at it.

• Options
    I wish I could have gotten a G37 last year, when my local guy had 2 like those, similar miles, for much less money. That was a deal I hated to miss.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,799
    qbrozen said:

I did think the EX would be too small for me, but today was the first time I sat in one. It isn't roomy by any means but, ya know, it is just enough I think. I quickly found a comfortable seating position and there was still some semblance of legroom behind me. Not for an adult, mind you, but should be fine for my 10-yr-old for a while. I really liked the interior and it is pretty darned attractive.

The VQ engine is exactly as you'd expect. The ride is very tight and sporty, which suits me just fine. Handling is sharp. I think this is a real nice intermediate step between sports sedan and SUV. I like it a lot. It has moved to the top of the list. I don't even see a point in trying the FX at this point.

I think the EX is the Infiniti version of the Juke, right? I have an employ who has the top-level version of that car, about five years old now. If the Juke wasn't so incredibly ugly, I would really like it. Aside from the lack of MT option, it is a very fun car, as well as being quiet and rattle-free even after five years. I've only used the car a couple of times, but my impressions from the inside are positive. The EX is a vast appearance improvement over the Juke; I could own one of those.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

I think the EX is the Infiniti version of the Juke, right? I have an employ who has the top-level version of that car, about five years old now. If the Juke wasn't so incredibly ugly, I would really like it. Aside from the lack of MT option, it is a very fun car, as well as being quiet and rattle-free even after five years. I've only used the car a couple of times, but my impressions from the inside are positive. The EX is a vast appearance improvement over the Juke; I could own one of those.
    The EX is built on the same platform as the G37 Coupe, Sedan, FX, & 370Z. RWD based. Not anywhere near related to the Juke.

• Options
    andres3 said:

I think an EcoBoost Mustang at 335 HP starts to get interesting. How much do those things weigh?

Dinan warranties anything BMW doesn't cover for 4 years/50k miles. It does NOT cover anything under the CPO warranty.

• Options
    Wife and I went car-looking over lunch.

She drove a new Mini Clubman and decided that could be her next car. Would prefer to wait for a used one though.

We stopped next door at the Honda dealership and checked out the new Civic hatch. They had a EX-L model on the floor in Sonic Gray, which we were both taken with. It's a nice car for the money - the hatch seems much larger than what I had in the Mazda3.

The customer service experience was deplorable, which was unexpected for this dealership. Inexperienced salespeople I can understand and take, but ones that don't care to help you at all drives me nuts. Me - "Do you have any Sport models I could look at?" Her - "I don't think so." Then...crickets.

Uh, okay, can you check? So she reluctantly checks on the computer and comes back and says they don't have any. No offers to take my contact info to let me know when they do come in or anything like that. And don't even get me started on their ignorance of the Type R. :@

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    She may be stupid, but at least she'll be voting.

Ain't the world grand?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    henryn said:

kyfdx said:

The CVT just kills it for me. I'd rather drive a stick, but if it's an automatic, I'll take a "normal" one.

If you drove in the traffic I drive in, you would not say "rather drive a stick".
    Is it common for a cvt to have a turbo?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The hatchback is in? Good to hear. Guess the Sensing package won't be available for a while yet.
  • Options

andres3 said:

Dinan warranties anything BMW doesn't cover for 4 years/50k miles. It does NOT cover anything under the CPO warranty.
    I think about a decade back Audi tried to copy BMW with the DINAN thing and joined with STASIS to do basically the same thing; aftermarket power tuning and performance warranted just like the original OEM version. It sort of fizzled out and never really caught on that much, probably because dealerships and STASIS were too greedy, and the after-market competition out-performed them either in performance improvement or bang for the buck.
  • Options
    stever said:

The hatchback is in? Good to hear. Guess the Sensing package won't be available for a while yet.

Yup - should've taken some pictures just to show one "in the wild." My wife, who isn't the biggest fan of Hondas, thought it was real sharp and sporty looking. And that was an EX model - I'm anxious to see the Sport model.

• Options
    One thing I forgot to mention about the EX is the height. It is very short when standing next to it, so I had my doubts, but the seat inside actually sits pretty high up. Comparing to the GLK, in which I felt like I was sittjng damned near on the floor, I had the sense in the EX like I was actually sitting higher than in the taller Benz.

• Options
    houdini1 said:

henryn said:

kyfdx said:

The CVT just kills it for me. I'd rather drive a stick, but if it's an automatic, I'll take a "normal" one.

If you drove in the traffic I drive in, you would not say "rather drive a stick".
    Is it common for a cvt to have a turbo?
    I would say no. Only one I've driven is Subaru's 2.0T CVT combo in the Forester XT. My impression was the engine was good enough to overcome the CVT, whereas the 2.5 didn't seem to make the CVT look good.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Was out grocery shopping today and in a part of town I seldom visit, so I decided to roll though the lot of the large GM dealer there. This is not the one I bought my last 2 cars at but may patronize down the road. I was interested to see if they had any Cruze hatchbacks on the lot, and they did. It is remarkable how much shorter it looks compared to the sedan - it is shorter of course but I think the optical illusion makes it look even shorter than it is.

I like the design. Of course every single one I saw had a black cloth interior so it was both unattractive to look at and somewhat difficult to assess interior room from the outside. I checked later and online inventory says they have a couple of Premier level hatches with leather, but I didn't see them. There was a Malibu Premier there next to one of the hatches with what GM calls "Loft Brown" leather, really a saddle color, and it was gorgeous inside. I think the Cruze Premier offers something similar.

I wish GM would offer a Cruze SS or similar with the more powerful 1.5T engine from the Malibu.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

Was out grocery shopping today and in a part of town I seldom visit, so I decided to roll though the lot of the large GM dealer there. This is not the one I bought my last 2 cars at but may patronize down the road. I was interested to see if they had any Cruze hatchbacks on the lot, and they did. It is remarkable how much shorter it looks compared to the sedan - it is shorter of course but I think the optical illusion makes it look even shorter than it is.

I like the design. Of course every single one I saw had a black cloth interior so it was both unattractive to look at and somewhat difficult to assess interior room from the outside. I checked later and online inventory says they have a couple of Premier level hatches with leather, but I didn't see them. There was a Malibu Premier there next to one of the hatches with what GM calls "Loft Brown" leather, really a saddle color, and it was gorgeous inside. I think the Cruze Premier offers something similar.

I wish GM would offer a Cruze SS or similar with the more powerful 1.5T engine from the Malibu.

I'm not a GM expert, but I would think any SS model, including a Cruze SS would have to start at a performance level equal to the 2.0T in the ATS these days. The 1.5T should be standard equipment.
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    Keep on on the car shopping qbrozen love reading the folowup postings.