Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy nice nice whats an few mor days! yes you should be good for that discount now!
  • Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    Michaell said:

Got an email from our Subaru dealer this morning informing me I could upgrade our 2015 Outback 3.6R to a 2017 Outback 3.6R and actually lower our payment!

Sure, but how many additional payments will there be?
  • Options
    so Honda dealer near me maby 2 miles has 4 2016 accords left 3 v6 and one 4 sil maby 2 so maby 5 in total and they have an tun of 2017 accord v6s left and 4 sil ones to! no 2018s yet looking!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,614
    those pull aheads are pretty much just turning your loan into a lease, if the numbers make sense for you. If you want the new car, and depreciation is in your favor, go for it. But if the car is pretty much the same, might was well ride it out.

Though if this is a case where a 2 YO Subaru pretty much depreciated next to nothing, take advantage of that and jump to a new one and start the clock over.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    In Tennessee today, a brand new silver Elantra Sport drove by and I pointed it out to Mrs. Sandman...she approved and must admit it's a real nice vehicle! And what one gets for the price makes it that much more, think Hyundai's gonna sell a boatload of these puppies! A lot of bang for the buck!!
    In Macon Georgia right now and so ready to go home!! Tomorrow's ten days of being on vacation and though it's been a ton of fun, time to go back to our life now. Did learn something though and that's that I can do car travel but just need to take it easy. As long as I don't push my body, I can go do things but just need to schedule appropriately. The wife's happy to see this because I want my, our retired life to include seeing America and doing it by automobile! As long as I do it in moderation, all will be good!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandy, the nice thing about retirement travel, is time does now matter. unlike vacation travel where you are on a schedule and have to be some place. When just wandering, if you don't feel like moving one day, don't.

You sound like you want an RV experience, but I really can't see you traveling around in one. Car and motel works too, just pricier (putting aside the cost of buying the RV rig!)

• Options
    @sandman_6472 nice nice all good news so glad to hear! now what car to go and see Emerica with! have an safe rest of your trip home!
  • Options
    getting Tbird back from shop this week cumming up whall most likely week from today next Saturday! bit of work is done road wearthy!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,924
    fordfool said:

Michaell said:

Got an email from our Subaru dealer this morning informing me I could upgrade our 2015 Outback 3.6R to a 2017 Outback 3.6R and actually lower our payment!

The way I figure it, about 30 or so.

Mentioned the email to the wife, and I couldn't even finish the sentence before she said "no".

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,457

getting Tbird back from shop this week cumming up whall most likely week from today next Saturday! bit of work is done road wearthy!

Very cool @Marcothecarguy1986. You must be excited!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    @nyccarguy yes I really am! has bin an long 6 weeks lol and menny phone calls every week! going to sound real good to now the way I want it!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,245
    Michaell said:

fordfool said:

Michaell said:

Mentioned the email to the wife, and I couldn't even finish the sentence before she said "no".
    What you really need is an accountant to do the math for you..

Unfortunately, the accountant you know best is @breld :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

fordfool said:

Michaell said:

What you really need is an accountant to do the math for you..

Unfortunately, the accountant you know best is @breld :D
    Yup - just tell me what you want the numbers to reflect and I'll make it happen. ;)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Michael, sounds like my wife. "but I like my car". So we will have the RDX most likely a long time. Or until the first time it breaks down and strands her, at which point she will take my car and it will be time to shop.

Breld, the want is a new car in the driveway. the numbers, just semantics! Making a like model upgrade even odder. It isn't even like getting something new.

• Options
    Wife's new plate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    If she only had a Jag...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    guy near me used to have an S type Jag. plate was purr4u. he now has a lincoln MKS sedan and kept the plate. odd

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,119
    That plate is probably worth something to a James Bond fan who owns a Jag XKR.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    @kyfdx nice nice
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited October 2017
    kyfdx said:

Wife's new plate.

So, I assume that this was totally random.
  • Options
    anyone see an new Acord on the road yet! no it has only bin 4 days!
  • Options
    nope. haven't stopped by dealer yet either. probably won't be doing that for a while either.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    Possible punch alert, coming this week if the numbers crunch all right. Stay tuned...
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,457
    kyfdx said:
    Wife's new plate.
    Now YOU have to trade in the 330Ci ZHP.  This would be the greatest excuse for a punch.  The DMV sent me this plate, so I JUST HAD to go out and find a BRG XKR.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,282

Congrats, Marco!
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,390
    stickguy said:

guy near me used to have an S type Jag. plate was purr4u. he now has a lincoln MKS sedan and kept the plate. odd

I have BMW CCA on the 2 Series and M SPORT on the 318ti. I had GOJIRA on my MS3...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    carnaught said:

kyfdx said:

Wife's new plate.

So, I assume that this was totally random.
    It's not a personalized plate. I just asked for one that would be easy to remember. She asked if I wanted a "00" plate. I said sure. That's a standard format for KY

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    When I registered the TDI, last year, she pulled out a plate that started with 666. My son was with me, and said, "Don't do it", but I did. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    Got home at 9:45 and was a good ride. Costs us $88.00 to drive home, the cost of my airplane ticket! The 2017 Nissan Versa sedan was very very economical and we had so much room for our stuff. Nashville was great and we saw what I could manage to get to, a bit more walking in a short period of time. When we go back, will see what we missed!
    Great trip otherwise. Now time to plan a wedding!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    @corvette thank you Man!
  • Options

Got home at 9:45 and was a good ride. Costs us $88.00 to drive home, the cost of my airplane ticket! The 2017 Nissan Versa sedan was very very economical and we had so much room for our stuff. Nashville was great and we saw what I could manage to get to, a bit more walking in a short period of time. When we go back, will see what we missed!
    Great trip otherwise. Now time to plan a wedding!!!

Sandy - glad the drive home was both fun and uneventful.

I was texting with my sister - her, my BIL and my mom flew from San Diego to Charlottesville, VA today. There is a wedding to attend tomorrow, and on Monday my BIL flies home to SD while my mom and sis drive 4+ hours to NE Tennessee so my mom can see one of her oldest friends.

They have a white Hyundai Sonata as their rental.

But, according to my sis, they almost didn't make it. They missed their original flight due to poor time management. Luckily, they were able to get booked as standby on a flight through O'Hare (the original flight was supposed to connect in Charlotte, NC), and got to town a few hours late. Tired, but in good spirits.

Wedding is at 4 tomorrow afternoon, so they are going to do some historical sight-seeing in the morning. I know UVA is there, and I hope they are able to visit Monticello as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    @stickguy eventually when you get sum time in an few weeks cant wate to hear your take on the new Acord!
  • Options
    @sandman_6472 glad you had an nice time and trip!
  • Options
    @carnaught hoping that the numbers work out for you nd than you will have an punch recorded! can you give us sum hints in to what brand and car it is! we all want to no in hear!
  • Options
    once I finally get the new car in and the Sonata returned, need to get tires on the RDX checked to see how the tread is doing. I think I should probably just bite the bullet and get them replaced before winter. Heck, last December the tire shop was trying to convince me it was time (though in the spring Acura dealer said had some life left) Just over 5 YO now, and at about 42K miles, so got good use out of them on a vehicle like this.

Still have it narrowed down to 2 choices. Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus, and Cooper CS5 ultra touring. like them both. Leaning slightly toward the Pirellis for some reason (probably brand name history). But the cooper's are a good value and well regarded too. Tough decision.

• Options
    stickguy said:

once I finally get the new car in and the Sonata returned, need to get tires on the RDX checked to see how the tread is doing. I think I should probably just bite the bullet and get them replaced before winter. Heck, last December the tire shop was trying to convince me it was time (though in the spring Acura dealer said had some life left) Just over 5 YO now, and at about 42K miles, so got good use out of them on a vehicle like this.

Still have it narrowed down to 2 choices. Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus, and Cooper CS5 ultra touring. like them both. Leaning slightly toward the Pirellis for some reason (probably brand name history). But the cooper's are a good value and well regarded too. Tough decision.

I replaced the OEM tires on both our VUEs (2005 and 2008) with Coopers. I really liked them. Likely to put Coopers onto the Outback when the time comes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @stickguy - the wife's GLC had Pirelli Scorpions on them, and when I took it in for the snow tire swap, they said the stock tires are done. That's at about 16k miles.

May want to go with the Coopers based on @michael's experience.

• Options
    OK, you sold me. Plus it seems right, since out late, and greatly missed, yellow lab was named Cooper. That and they are cheaper!

one thing about the Scorpions. Tire rack has a bunch of different versions, with treadwear ratings ranging from about 400-720. The best are the plus model. Some of the low life ones are listed as OEM for Porsche or another brand. The ones I saw at Mavis were the plus with longer rating.

• Options
    Yeah - I did figure there are a lot of different "versions" of the Pirelli Scorpions, and no doubt as OEMs, the ones on the wife's MB are the worst.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I've had good fortune with Cooper tires on my Kia's, stick.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    I did some more review reading on both, and decided to go with the Coopers. Thanks all for the feedback. This group is always good for that!

An expensive month. Besides putting money down on a car (hopefully this week!) and tires soon, finally got a contractor out this week to replace a bunch of rotted trim would on the house (looks vastly better now), and we ordered a new stove from Lowes (arrives in a couple weeks since back ordered) since the old one is having some issues, including a dead burner, and wife is paranoid it will die when she is cooking Thanksgiving! So I think that all will wipe out the discretionary spending for this year.

Deferring new carpet for the 3 spare bedrooms and runner for the stairs until the spring. Along with a replacement shed if I can't nurse the old one along. Man, I need to sell this house soon and make this all someone else's problem, though by the time I finish getting it ready, won't be anything left to do!

• Options
    Reading your post above has me wondering whether I want to buy a house in Wenatchee or its surroundings or not, stick! There's always renting, though Wenatchee has been turned in to a microcosm of Seattle and doesn't quite mirror its housing prices, but they're really high. And landlords do not want renters with pets.

In 8 months when our lease is up, we're going to need to make a decision. We'll need to start looking early.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,390
    I ren Cooper UHP all-seasons on my MS3 and X3; I was very happy with both their performance and their longevity.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,396
    breld said:

Yeah - I did figure there are a lot of different "versions" of the Pirelli Scorpions, and no doubt as OEMs, the ones on the wife's MB are the worst.

Scorpion Verdes are the OEM tire on our X6. A little over 18k now and there is no way they'll make it much past 20-22k.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    Iluv, rent/buy decision involves a lot of factors, each person getting a different result. Time you plan to spend there, housing prices vs. rent, what you think the market will do. Pets of course, kids is a biggie when you have them, and just your comfort level.

with the pets, if you can afford to buy where you want to be and expect to be there for a few years at least (and ideally retire there eventually), and you expect the prices to keep rising as the Seattle tide spreads out, then I would buy a place. Especially if rents will be nearly the same as a mortgage payment. Not without any risk, but if you are careful, with a little luck could be ahead of the game in a few years. Plus, no worries the landlord kicks you and your menagerie out, and can't find a replacement rental!

when we move (hopefully next year) I might rent temporarily (wife not a fan) buy we would intend to buy or build something soon after.

• Options
    Good advice, stick. Yeah, we're thinking we're gonna buy. The boss mentioned he might ship me to a new lab in Moses Lake, and if that happens, we'll be able to rent or buy. The rental market relaxes wonderfully an hour to the east. I would still buy - over there, we can buy a nice place and our payment will be more like I want it to be in retirement - which is around $675 a month. I have figured a new Kia payment in my retirement plans, though to pay off a 2018 Kia Rio5 or sedan completely would be smart, though, to not have a payment in retirement.

I'm planning on about 4 more years of working, Lord willing and the Columbia don't rise. :p

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,202
    If you're going to ML or especially if you want to live in outlying areas, buy. That market seems very affordable to me, and might even be undervalued, as I think the region has a workable economic future. There are some issues especially related to crime, but it's still better than much if not most of the country. You get 4 real seasons too, that's for sure.

My uncle lives in Soap Lake, in a house that he says is worth maybe 180K (which there gets you a large lot and good sized brick house) - it would be a million in west Bellevue pretty easily. 150K will get you something decent in ML, too.

Good advice, stick. Yeah, we're thinking we're gonna buy. The boss mentioned he might ship me to a new lab in Moses Lake, and if that happens, we'll be able to rent or buy. The rental market relaxes wonderfully an hour to the east. I would still buy - over there, we can buy a nice place and our payment will be more like I want it to be in retirement - which is around $675 a month. I have figured a new Kia payment in my retirement plans, though to pay off a 2018 Kia Rio5 or sedan completely would be smart, though, to not have a payment in retirement.

I'm planning on about 4 more years of working, Lord willing and the Columbia don't rise. :p

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,950
    @stickguy
    I hear you the spending.  My gosh I hear you.  Ours was just topped off with night in NYC and mini shopping spree for our 5th anniversary.   House should be done this week and Until Christmas shopping starts we are *done*

For the group.. if you are ever in NYC and like steak, you must try Keens.  Wow this was our third time there and I swear it’s the best I’ve ever had.   Funny thing we were last there on our first anniversary and we were sat in the exact same table.  What a coincidence. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,119
    @stickguy - I was on the car lots this AM and saw the exact duplicate (I think) of the car you are getting - Elantra Sport turbo, white, automatic. Looked good, the wheels set it off nicely. Inside room looks about the same as my ATS so any back seat passengers should be either kids or very understanding adults. I noticed the red stitching on the seats.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I found the back seat to be plenty room (6' tall). Lots of leg room behind my seat setting, and my head was not hitting. Not that I need much room, but it was plenty IMO. Not at cavernous as the Sonata, but the Elantra is just over a foot shorter, and the room had to come from someplace!