Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    breld said:

So, intent on reducing our fleet, I've actually had the Type R listed for sale on cars.com for about a month.

Auction values are around $35-36k, listed prices are a crazy range of about $35k on up to low $40k's.

I started out asking $36,900, then reduced it to $35,300, and now have it at $34,900. Lots of views on the ad, but not a single phone call.

Seems curious to me, but I attribute to 1) the winter season here in Denver and 2) more significant I think, the target buyer for this car isn't well equipped or experienced to purchase from a private seller; they would be more comfortable working with a dealer who can offer financing and such.

Just got off the phone with a broker regarding consigning the car. They said they'd rather just buy it outright from me and offered $34,000 (actually threw out $33,800 but naturally said they could push it to $34k).

Considering I had a buy bid from Carmax for $32,000, which we thought was a lowball until a Honda dealer offered $29,000 for it, this $34k offer is pretty strong, I'd say.

Huh - interesting. Wonder if $34K is all in, for them. Given the lack of genuine interest in it privately, they may be the only game in town.

Still, not a bad depreciation amount for, what, 6 months?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    It's a good deal - I said I'd be there at $34,500 but that I'd think about it this week (and they can do the same).

I mean really, I had it listed for $34,900 - handing the keys over to them and letting them do all the work for $900 less is almost a no-brainer. The only thing holding me back a little is if I could get the $34,000 on trade at, let's say, the Volvo dealer. Then I'd save about $1,300 in taxes (only 4% in my county!).

But that's a big "if" on whether the Volvo dealer would pony up to $34k. And, with my timetable for purchase put off even if just for a little bit, there's the uncertainty.

At some point, there will be a bursting of the bubble on the values on these Type Rs. So it could be a good time to take them up on it.

For what it's worth, the broker said if I bought a car through them before the end of the year, they could apply the tax savings based on the Civic being "traded in."

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    breld said:

It's a good deal - I said I'd be there at $34,500 but that I'd think about it this week (and they can do the same).

I mean really, I had it listed for $34,900 - handing the keys over to them and letting them do all the work for $900 less is almost a no-brainer. The only thing holding me back a little is if I could get the $34,000 on trade at, let's say, the Volvo dealer. Then I'd save about $1,300 in taxes (only 4% in my county!).

But that's a big "if" on whether the Volvo dealer would pony up to $34k. And, with my timetable for purchase put off even if just for a little bit, there's the uncertainty.

At some point, there will be a bursting of the bubble on the values on these Type Rs. So it could be a good time to take them up on it.

For what it's worth, the broker said if I bought a car through them before the end of the year, they could apply the tax savings based on the Civic being "traded in."

That's interesting ... split the transactions by a few months, yet still get the tax benefit. Win, win! And, they can do the legwork on finding the perfect XC90 for you, and save you the time and hassle of ... well, wait. It's not a hassle for you. But, it might make the transaction that much smoother. You know exactly what you want, option wise, and you've got a range of colors, inside and out, that you'd be happy with.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    You're right - I could go that way.

The biggest problem with that is that I really liked how we were treated at Rickenbaugh Volvo - I liked our salesperson and the way he treated all of us (he said it was the first time he had someone bring an entourage!). And their up-front pricing strategy is refreshing. So I'd sort of hate to not buy from them.

And this is the broker I used to purchase the GTI last year. Nice enough guy that I worked with, and it's a nice shop. But I basically did the shopping and came up with the price I could get at the dealership and then had them match it. They offer a nice service to those who don't like to shop themselves, but that's obviously not me. Basically, I can find a deal at least as good as they can find, and I don't have to make a commission.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    A red Jag E-Type DHC (friend of my father owned it, never forgot riding in it. All those toggle switches!) is what led me, eventually, to my '09 XK and '13 XF. My local dealer had a leftover '17 F-Type in BRG with the tan interior (can't think of the Jag name of it, London Tan?), for "only" $78k. Beautiful, and now gone.

There will always be a Jaguar. Even if not in my garage...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Broker called back and agreed to come up to $34,500 on the Type R.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    breld said:

That was fast...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So other than @breld, anyone else have a punch in the last month? I've behind and just had to skip hundreds of posts to catch up.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    breld said:

We all packed in it, with my wife and stepson trying out the 3rd row (which, by the way, is virtually useless in the Q7),

You don't say?! I have been preaching that tune for a year now. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    andres3 said:

So other than @breld, anyone else have a punch in the last month? I've behind and just had to skip hundreds of posts to catch up.

It doesn't take long to fall that far back!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @breld -

I was going to suggest a similar strategy.... hold tight a while, but make some fleet reductions now. You'll come out so far ahead in the long run that it will feel rather satisfying to simply let that itch fester a bit....!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Well, I would pull the trigger and let the Broker have it. Unless you are willing to sit on it for some number of months hoping prices don't sag. I am not that brave, so would take the money (basically what you have it listed for anyway) and run.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Well, I would pull the trigger and let the Broker have it. Unless you are willing to sit on it for some number of months hoping prices don't sag. I am not that brave, so would take the money (basically what you have it listed for anyway) and run.

Bird in the hand, and all that.

Wonder if the broker already has a buyer lined up for the Type R...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I might be having a punch this month, depending on if they in fact total my Golf. Since the frame is bent, gonna push for them to just total it out for me. Even the wife said sure, they'll fix it and within a month, you'll be looking to trade it because it'll never be the same in your eyes. I just don't think it'll drive the same after they attempt to straighten it all out. And with my luck, I'll be putting on a new set of sneakers every year due to wear issues. Have spoken with a few folks who've gone through a similar situation and they also were never happy once they got their vehicle back and soon after just traded it out.
    Adjuster supposed to go see the damage tomorrow so probably won't hear anything till Wednesday or Thursday. In the meantime, have the GLA 250 to drive around. The mpg's aren't what I'm used to but it does drive nicely. Doubt I'd want to own one so having the rental has just shown me that. A MB probably isn't the vehicle for me except maybe the last generation C Class, the 250 four door. Will have to go test drive a 3 Series just to see if I do like it. Just wish Enterprise had one for me to try for a few days so I could make up my mind on that also.
    Figure I'll keep the GLA for a couple of weeks if in fact they do decide to fix the Golf and then get something a bit more economical. A good way to weed through all the vehicles I thought I'd like to buy one day!!

The Sandman :(B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    When I visited the MB dealer for a few minutes yesterday, I chatted up a salesman I hadn't seen before - they've had a lot of turnover since it became AutoNation, and there are a lot of new faces there. The showroom was surprisingly empty, and he had some time to chat. I went on about my cars and what I like, and he at least acted sympathetic, seemed like a nice enough guy. He agrees with the idea that it will not be realistic to buy out this lease - he says they don't negotiate on the prices, just send them away. Other than having someone bid on it at auction for me, which I doubt anyone would really do, I'll just let the car go. He also mentioned the current pull-ahead is 6 months. I suspect that's only for a lease re-up though, and not for a used or CPO purchase.

Right now my thoughts, assuming and hoping sufficient cash flow, are to get a new lease, or buy a later model used or CPO car. It'll really depend on the deals and cars on the market. I like nicely priced leases, but I like to have a somewhat special car too - not always easy. Used cars I would consider are fully optioned prior gen E wagon, E250 similar to mine but with every option (may not exist), prior gen E AMG cars, Earlier W222 are depreciating nicely now, but I don't know if I am into it. And of course, the dark horse G-wagen entrant, gotta drive one.

Firefighter, I mentioned the leasing a service loaner idea to this salesman, and he said he's aware of it and the MSD option.
  • Options
    Sandy, I now for many people, if it is in your head it won't be the same, it won't be the same. So financially and practically, totaling it is much easier.

for the Benz, I thought you had the CLA sedan version. Should look at one of those. Will drive more car like of course, being a car. Hey, it's free to browse! At least it will fit in your garage.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    breld said:
    So you were what? About $39k all in after taxes and shipping? $4500/6 mos = $750/mo rental? Pricey for a Honda, anyway. But, hey, it could be worse: you could be a poor sucker who trades a new volvo after just 6 mos. ...oh...wait...

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Seems I’m seeing more and more Type Rs recently, maybe they aren’t as scarce? $34K offer sounds strong!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    This is neat looking. Pretty well equipped. Definitely some heavy depreciation going on here. Though would have to see that interior in person to decide if it works.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2017-volvo-v60_cross_country-certified_v60_cross_country_t5_awd_camera_navi-used-16747595.html

• Options
    edited March 2018

Seems I’m seeing more and more Type Rs recently, maybe they aren’t as scarce? $34K offer sounds strong!

well, sticker for a brand new on is $34,990. And that is a 2018 still (oh wait, Breld has a 2018 too, right?). So assuming that the initial demand has subsided, and you can just get one at flat sticker, that is less than $500 over what he can sell it for tomorrow. I of course am not attuned to that market, so maybe they are still super rare and selling with ADM!

no clue if they are adding on a sticker, but my local dealer has 2 type Rs in stock. A blue and a White.

the other nearby place that does a big volume (and gave me the killer lease quote on an Si a few years back) has a red one.

so, there are some on the ground.

• Options
    stickguy said:

This is neat looking. Pretty well equipped. Definitely some heavy depreciation going on here. Though would have to see that interior in person to decide if it works.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2017-volvo-v60_cross_country-certified_v60_cross_country_t5_awd_camera_navi-used-16747595.html

There was one in the showroom on Saturday with that interior combo. I didn't care for it, but of course Volvo does offer some pretty nice interior colors

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguy said:

Love the color combo. Hate that it doesn't have Xenons or LED headlights.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I did go ahead and make an appointment tomorrow to sell the Type R. Easy way to go down one in the fleet as intended.

And @stickguy - it is a 2017, so yes, with 2018’s on the ground at a sticker of $34,990 (if you can find one), the brokers offer seems pretty strong.

I tend to look at the depreciation based on the cost of the car itself (about $36,700 with the accessories) but yes, adding in taxes and shipping, you’re right, I was about $39k all in. But I did have it for 7 months thank you very much! :)

I may have had optimistic thoughts of keeping it longer, but all in all, this has played out about as planned. Wanted to own and experience it for awhile, then turn around and sell it for minimal loss.

• Options
    Seems like it would be best if you could recoup some of the tax savings...otherwise ouch. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    It’s funny - maybe I’ve just become too numb to the losses on my quicker than normal turnarounds, but I was actually feeling really good about the whole thing until I posted the numbers here.

I mean, taxes are what they are and the shipping was a personal choice to get the car quicker than buying local, so I’m not saying that’s not real money, but from a depreciation perspective, getting $34,500 7 months after buying the car for $36,700 is one of my better deals. Suppose that speaks poorly of my choices overall.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     I saw this coming I don’t come in here every day lately more in the other board but wow broiled or is going I knew it was only a matter of time you’re going to probably replace it soon enough I’m sure ha ha Ha 
  • Options
     Hoping all works out today with selling it to the broker 
  • Options
     Good luck today Sandy with the appraisal of your car hope it goes well we’ll see what you’re going to be doing an upcoming weeks 
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    qbrozen said:
    Probably still better than a drug habit or having a girlfriend on the side. ;)
    Whatever makes you happy.  We all give @breld a hard time (all in good fun), but it's his thing.  I've got to go to a wake today for a 51 year old who dropped dead on Friday AM.  A wonderful human being whom I've had the absolute pleasure of doing business with for the past decade & a half.  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    breld said:

It’s funny - maybe I’ve just become too numb to the losses on my quicker than normal turnarounds, but I was actually feeling really good about the whole thing until I posted the numbers here.

I mean, taxes are what they are and the shipping was a personal choice to get the car quicker than buying local, so I’m not saying that’s not real money, but from a depreciation perspective, getting $34,500 7 months after buying the car for $36,700 is one of my better deals. Suppose that speaks poorly of my choices overall.

Well, it is like a hobby or a pastime and it keeps you entertained so who are we to criticize? Plus it is entertaining for the rest of us to watch too. :)

Just be glad you don't live in Nova Scotia. We have a 15% sales tax on vehicle purchases here and the only relief is that if you eventually trade it in you pay tax on the net value of the replacement vehicle, purchase price less trade-in value. For your Type R that purchase of yours would have been about $5500 donated to the govt for those 7 months.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozen said:

That’s what my wife says. Not joking. :p

• Options
    Actually, so does mine. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

That’s what my wife says. Not joking. :p
    Why can't it be both, or all three? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My wife is the same way. She knows if she catches me on the phone or computer acting guilty, it’s either about a car or a rescue dog.

More of those are fine, but what would I possible want with a second woman?

Bradd, I had a wake last week. One of my best friends from HS. Had a major stroke 3 years ago, and was in a facility since and finally passed from complications at 55. Life really can be too short.

Breld, sounds like a good move. My best new car flip was my 2005 Scion tC. Bought it July 2004 for a MSRP ($16,400 o so). Traded it December 2005 with 10k miles on my 2005 accord leftover and got $14k for it, and the 2096 models were out. And saved on the sales tax, so equivalent to about $15.1k on a private sale. I was happy with that.

• Options
    Breld, just remembered. Saw in the latest issue of something that he xc90 is getting a refresh for 2019 MY. will be interesting to see what gets done to it. Probably nothing radical.

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    edited March 2018
    stickguy said:

WOW! If I could find a deal like that anywhere close to me, another Volvo could end up on my shopping list.

Of course with the V60 there's the question of the cargo footprint (same question I'd ask of the Escape or any small SUVs I might check out)
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    @breld didn’t mean to rain on your parade. You’re getting a great price for it and you have to do what’s right for you. For whatever reason I thought this one had a place in the “long-term” fleet. Agree that the shipping etc are sunk costs regardless. 

As far as women, drugs, cars...well...my wife jokes that most men turn their heads to look at other women. I crane my head to look at cars and fire trucks. 
  • Options
    Service loaner

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    How come I never get service loaners like that?
  • Options

How come I never get service loaners like that?

You have to take in a 12 yr old car for an $89 oil change, I guess.. ;)

Oh.. it has 330 miles on the odometer.
    And, even though it's xDrive, it has summer tires..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Odd car for the dealer to put in service as a loaner. 

• Options
    Snappy. Love the interior.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Snappy. Love the interior.

Same interior as my wife's X3.

@qbrozen Agreed.. especially brand new.

Also, summer tires with AWD is sort of weird... and, not sure how smart it is to send one out with summer tires, when the temperature is supposed to hit 36 F tonight..

I still have my winters on, but at least I'm used to driving with summer tires. If Buffy gets that car, no telling what could happen.. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    @kyfdx - Is it a 2017 or a 2018?
  • Options

@breld didn’t mean to rain on your parade. You’re getting a great price for it and you have to do what’s right for you. For whatever reason I thought this one had a place in the “long-term” fleet. Agree that the shipping etc are sunk costs regardless. 

As far as women, drugs, cars...well...my wife jokes that most men turn their heads to look at other women. I crane my head to look at cars and fire trucks. 

Oh - no worries at all. It would certainly be nice to get the tax savings on a trade, but I just don't want to make the bet that the Volvo/Audi/Land Rover dealer will ante up to that same $34,500. Based on my experience thus far, I kinda doubt they would. I think the broker is more excited to have this in their inventory than one of these luxury dealers.

And yes, I also thought the Type R may have a place in the long-term fleet, but tastes and priorities change of course.

• Options
    I currently have a Valencia Orange 320i xdrive as a loaner while they fix a seatbelt issue on the i3.

I think it's good I didn't get some m240i loaner - that experience could throw a wrench in my current plans.

• Options
    breld said:

I currently have a Valencia Orange 320i xdrive as a loaner while they fix a seatbelt issue on the i3.

I think it's good I didn't get some m240i loaner - that experience could throw a wrench in my current plans.

You'll have no trouble finding that loaner in a parking lot....
  • Options

@kyfdx - Is it a 2017 or a 2018?

2018.. 300 miles.

It does remind me that I’ll never buy an automatic for my daily driver, unless I’m just unable to drive a stick. (Nothing wrong with this auto, though)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator