Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    Oh, I actually thought it was Dynamic Cruise Control (or laser cruise)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    tjc78 said:

Oh, I actually thought it was Dynamic Cruise Control (or laser cruise)

That is usually called ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control).
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    @28firefighter, thanks for the review of the new GLI! I agree about the Sport mode of the DSG - the one in my 2013 GLI felt like it just kept the car in one gear lower than it would normally be in Drive.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    Check engine light came on last night in the XF. Code reads an issue with the EVAP system, probably not the gas cap. Hopefully only a couple hundred dollar fix. Of course, as everybody knows, it's cheaper to just buy a new car than sink money into an old one. Right?

Stupid college tuition...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    While on the topic of maintenance, I had this brilliant idea that I would replace the transmission fluid in my Q7.

The manual claims "lifetime" for it, no servicing, but it seems like an awfully big gamble to pit a $10,000 transmission against a $300 fluid change. With 85,000 miles on the vehicle, I figured it was a good time.

The problem is, with the unit not intended for service, it was a hella-PITA to do the job without specialized equipment. The good news is that I'm rather creative, so I was able to cobble together about $20 worth of parts and pieces to fashion my own fluid pump to quickly, securely, and cleanly add the new fluid to the transmission. All told, I probably spent four hours on the job, but I think it was worth it considering the amount of metallic goo in the bottom of the pan. VAG built it with a large perimeter magnetic area to hold that stuff, but I'm not sure it could have gone more than another 20-30,000 miles worth of accumulation before the magnetic field was weak enough on new material to allow it to start circulating through the fluid. Now that it is reset to zero miles, it should be "lifetime" for all practical purposes THIS time around!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @xwesx I thought you were selling the Q7?
  • Options
    Yep, fully plan to do so. Still need to maintain it in the meantime!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:

The interior is a bit of a mixed bag. From the driver’s seat, it’s perfect. Everything you touch is soft touch materials and the plastic points are well disguised. The heated and cooled seats are well bolstered and very easy to comfortable in. All of the controls are within easy reach and very familiar VW fare. The digital cockpit is a nice high-end touch and easy on the eyes, though given that the top trim doesn’t have navigation in the US, it feels a little unnecessary. The backseat is spacious and plenty roomy, but that’s about as good as it gets. Every surface in the back is hard plastic and as previously mentioned, no rear air vents. Just weird cost cutting.

You see that frequently in mainstream brands. To be fair, how often does the rear seat get used, and by whom? Answers would typically be rarely, and by kids, so there is little to be gained by trimming it and adding features that match the front. Rear vents are nice but in reality it isn't a minivan and cold or hot air will get back there pretty quick.
    The rear seat can be seen from many angles and positions.

Why have rear seats at all if they don't match or fit the car? Get a 2-seater then!

You've never been in a hot climate if you think rear vents are optional in 2019, LOL!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    m

The plastic in the rear is not enough to dissuade me as long as it doesn't rattle. If the panels are tight, it looks nice, and doesn't rattle, I'm good.

The vents thing just seems stupid. The center console unit they put in even looks like it was designed to have a vent there. Even the GTI had them. I'll be curious to see if the complaining I've seen on the interweb brings them back for 2020 along with DCC on the Autobahn.

The plastic in the rear is not enough to dissuade me as long as it doesn't rattle. If the panels are tight, it looks nice, and doesn't rattle, I'm good.

The vents thing just seems stupid. The center console unit they put in even looks like it was designed to have a vent there. Even the GTI had them. I'll be curious to see if the complaining I've seen on the interweb brings them back for 2020 along with DCC on the Autobahn.

Motor Week did a test drive of the GLI 35 Anniversary Edition and loved it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @zwest. Nice I’m doing the transmission fluid change on your to seven, question flush right and it has the ball where you could insert the new fluid in the bowl we could remove the old fluid right this is supposedly not serviceable which is not good you did it for $300 fluid change beats a $10,000 transmission anytime. A lot of them today or in surgeon supposedly serviceable anymore but they really are in reality. Just a lot of people don’t know any better just to just be like OK this lifetime on poor people like us all in here. Question you did a flush this time right Did you drop the pan and change the filter to, or no
  • Options
    Didn’t mention in here but Thursday morning had to go meet with this company that I’m doing well starting to do Commission work for, but anyway my friend wasn’t able to go with me and I wanted to get things moving so I went myself guess what came to get me the Lyft driver had a Tesla model three, I was talking to him about it he was probably younger than me and I’m 32 he just got it the month before. But he is the son of a local big Bakery chain around here, well they used to be bigger, one location burn down about two months ago and they’re finally starting to rebuild that, I have one other location so they’re not as big as they used to be. And he’s told me he’s finishing up business school. Roads good actually liked it better than I thought I would and I was in it for over a little over 20 minutes even on the highways and stuff too. DC worked great on materials in the back felt good to me. Can’t say for the front, just thought I’d share with you all thinking about it last night I totally forgot to mention it in here.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    My bride is encouraging me to get a two seater. The key is landing on something I want.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Isn’t the 2er a two seater?
  • Options

Isn’t the 2er a two seater?

For all intents and purposes, I would say so...
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    It’s a pain to get in and out, but not terrible, once you get into the back seat (from my experience)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    kyfdx said:

It’s a pain to get in and out, but not terrible, once you get into the back seat (from my experience)

Exactly.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Someone from development is getting a talking to...
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    RB, you have a motorcycle. that should qualify as 2 seater.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    6 window sedan, upkick at the rear beltline, leering eyes, huge grille - never seen that before!
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    stickguy said:

for those following along on the great house remodel project, big progress so far this weekend. Yesterday got the final coat of pain on the main living areas. very glad to be done painting (just touch up left, will do that after the floor refinishing happens.).

Today, installed the wire shelves in the main bedroom closet, and got the entire kitchen floor (nasty wood) ripped out, all cleaned up and cat pee corner treated, rolled out underlayment pad and got the first row of snap together vinyl tiles laid. then I was too gassed to continue so called it a day. But even better, electrician came and finished the big projects (main line into the house to a new meter), and put in new box for the new light and cleaned up an outlet in the bathroom, and installed a new dining room light (that wiring was odd). Also replaced a few switches while he was at it. so the place is slowly being modernized. and smelling way less stinky!

tomorrow, finish installing the rest of the kitchen floor, then get the new vanity and faucet installed, and my big projects will be done. just some smaller odd jobs left (caulking, stuff like that). The end, might be in sight!

Wow! Hopefully it smells better now.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

@zwest. Nice I’m doing the transmission fluid change on your to seven, question flush right and it has the ball where you could insert the new fluid in the bowl we could remove the old fluid right this is supposedly not serviceable which is not good you did it for $300 fluid change beats a $10,000 transmission anytime. A lot of them today or in surgeon supposedly serviceable anymore but they really are in reality. Just a lot of people don’t know any better just to just be like OK this lifetime on poor people like us all in here. Question you did a flush this time right Did you drop the pan and change the filter to, or no

I did not flush, I simply did drain/fill including dropping the pan and replacing the filter and seals. Everything I read specifically stated to NOT flush the 8ZF transmission. Happily, the fluid in there looked very nice; a little dark, but still distinctly red with no hint of burn. I think the primary need for changing is just to clear out the accumulation of normal wear metals to ensure continued effectiveness of both the magnetic pan and the filter.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    fintail said:

6 window sedan, upkick at the rear beltline, leering eyes, huge grille - never seen that before!

From the "Angry Transformers" School of Automotive Design.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    @zwest. Nice I’m just dropping the pan and changing the fluid in it and the filter only, that’s a think most of them now so they don’t flush anymore. That’s what I told him to do for me on my 61 Thunderbird I said don’t will flush and the guys like it doesn’t matter could do both I said no so we did that for me I hope I wasn’t there. Back in December also last year or two years ago I just drain the coolant and put fresh in no flush anything like that and it’s green and fine from what people tell me. Have to do a oil change again soon, last one was done In December due again. There’s always been a few oil leaks I’ve had another got worse since the car is actually being used probably for change transmission lines to, there’s some fluid leaking out to not severe yet but will have to be addressed soon.
  • Options
    Only thing I haven’t touched is the brake fluid it’s black so go to change that to no flush. Just drain it out of the reservoir and put fresh what do you think about that. And then it will circulate new system to new fluid.
  • Options
    @marcogallo1986, unlike other automotive fluids, brake fluid does not naturally recirculate since brake lines do not loop. I’d recommend flushing the system.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Only thing I haven’t touched is the brake fluid it’s black so go to change that to no flush. Just drain it out of the reservoir and put fresh what do you think about that. And then it will circulate new system to new fluid.

Agreed with Corvette. This is not a recirculating system, so the only way new fluid is getting down there is through a leak, plus natural osmosis of contaminants (such as water) through the lines. I have a MityVac tool (similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/MV8000-Automotive-Tune-up-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B00265M9SS) that makes the work fast and simple. I just connect the vacuum system up to the first wheel bleeder, put some vacuum on it, open the bleeder, then draw out about half a cup (4oz). Once I have this much out, reservoir is usually fairly low, so I take the new fluid bottle, put an adapter cap on it (comes with kit), invert it in the reservoir, then go back to bleeding. Once the fluid runs clear, I shut the bleeder and move on to the next wheel. My order is longest to shortest, which in most vehicles is: Rear Right, Rear Left, Front Right, Front Left. ABS systems can change the order of length somewhat, but really it is just a matter of preference. Once fluid runs clear in all wheels (much faster for last three than for first), you have fully flushed it and ready to go for next three years (or less, depending on environment).

For most of my auto transmissions, I flush the fluid by pulling the return hose from the radiator, adding a clear stub hose and place that in an empty gallon container, then place the return line in a gallon container with fresh fluid. Start the car and let it pump as you run it through the gears. I have to stop for each gallon swap out (it's fairly fast), but usually 2-3 gallons and you flushed the old stuff out (which is noticeable as dark red or brown fluid vs. bright red fluid). Again, the only reason I did not do this exact technique on the Q7 was because of its design (I had to pull the pan as noted previously) and universal advice to not flush the 8ZF or 6ZF VAG transmissions.

Another fluid often overlooked is power steering. This is another easy one to do: Pull the low pressure return hose off the reservoir (usually it comes in at upper end of reservoir, which is desirable; if you have a design that puts it in at the bottom, take a small section of hose, pinch the end by folding and securing with tape, hose clamp, zip tie, etc, and put it over the connector for the low pressure return). Then, add a stub of hose to the end of this (if needed) and route it to an empty container. Get a new container of fluid ready, turn the key to an unlocked position (acc or on, depending on vehicle, but do not start the engine), and turn the wheel from lock to lock (slowly) while another person adds fluid to the reservoir as it drains out. Once the fluid is bright red / clear/ etc. depending on required PS fluid, you're fully flushed and then just put it back together and top off the tank per indicators.

Finally, differential and transfer case: Again, often overlooked but easy to change. Usually there will be a fill hole and a drain hole. Always pull the plug on the FILL hole first (as they can often be a real PITA to remove, and you don't want to drain without knowing you can fill later). If an older model, like your T-Bird, it probably does not have a drain hole, so you need to remove the cover and replace the gasket afterward. Still easy, just be ready for more of a mess on the drain end of things. For re-fill, I HIGHLY recommend easy-fill pouches. Amsoil came out with these a couple years ago or so, so I don't know if other manufacturers are using them yet, but they make the job so simple I have to wonder why... WHY were these not in use decades ago?! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    PUNCH

CPO 2015 Audi A4 quattro 8-speed with tech and premium packages, including B&O Audio.

Midnight Blue Metallic (very dark blue). Tan/Beige/Brown interior leather and headliner, aluminum accents (as opposed to wood which is popular and good match in beige interior cars, but I don't mind the aluminum.

16,4XX miles for just under $22K, $24,090 out the door.

9.5 out of 10 condition, easily and solid. Brand new rotors and pads (sat too long I guess since so low mileage for 4 year old car).

The CPO is only good till January 2020, but that's good enough for me to work the kinks out.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Midnight Blue Metallic (very dark blue). Tan/Beige/Brown interior leather and headliner, aluminum accents...
    Congrats! Really like the color combo.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    Congrats. Great color combo.

• Options
    I love the color and equipment of your A4! I assume it is an Audi CPO? If so you have unlimited mileage until 2020, which is great. You can drive it as much as you’d like worry free. Congrats!

• Options
    @andres3
    Is this car to replace the maturing lease on your Kia?

• Options
    Mom keeps talking about replacing the RAV4 with an Escape. I’ve never ridden or driven one. Thoughts from the group?

I *think* it’s a little long in the tooth and wondering if (as much as I hate it) the new RAV4 may be the better choice.

• Options
    Talking to myself.... so the 2020 is a new design. She is due back Dec 1, so that actually works out perfectly.

Just worked out a few sample builds and leases on the 2019. Doesn’t work out to be that great a deal.

Using a local dealers “one price” model (the one near you @stickguy) the lease on a 32K MSRP worked out to be $389 with 2K OOP. Um, no.

• Options
    @wezest and at @ corvette. Agreed on the break sister will do an flush. On that!
  • Options
    @zwest thank you for all of the info above!
  • Options
    We had a 2015 Escape Titanium. Very meh.

Was a cheap lease though - $290/month with $1k OOP for 24 months.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Congrats @andres3. Son has the same color combo on his A4.
  • Options
    Congrats, @andres3. How are you going to do with the 2.0T 4 vs the 3.0TT 6 in the S4?
  • Options
    @ Andre’s three, congratulations on the punch of your new ride nice color combo to love it that would be my second choice next to read which would be my first.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    andres3 said:

PUNCH

CPO 2015 Audi A4 quattro 8-speed with tech and premium packages, including B&O Audio.

Midnight Blue Metallic (very dark blue). Tan/Beige/Brown interior leather and headliner, aluminum accents (as opposed to wood which is popular and good match in beige interior cars, but I don't mind the aluminum.

16,4XX miles for just under $22K, $24,090 out the door.

9.5 out of 10 condition, easily and solid. Brand new rotors and pads (sat too long I guess since so low mileage for 4 year old car).

The CPO is only good till January 2020, but that's good enough for me to work the kinks out.

Congrats! Pics please! Enjoy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    Congrats, Andres. Great color combo!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

Congrats, @andres3. How are you going to do with the 2.0T 4 vs the 3.0TT 6 in the S4?

It's no S4, but it's still a quick car; back in '15 they have the GTI tune of current model GTI's still to today (220 HP but feels like more). The 8-speed transmission makes if a very relaxed high speed cruiser. I do like the effortless lazy fast acceleration of a bigger engine with more cylinders though!!! Windy 4-cylinders are fun, but I like blasting around just loafing a larger engine too. The S4 reminded me of that fact. There was an S6 in Calabasas, but it was $37K and an extra 2 hours of traffic. South of LA (Costa Mesa Fletcher Jones Audi is doable from San Diego), but Calabasas was a lot more to ask due to the malfunction of LA traffic, even on Saturday.

So.... I saved a lot of money today, and will continue to save via lower insurance, maintenance, and gas usage as a daily commuter for the next 2 to 3 years, and then I'll hopefully be able to get something extra special (delayed full gratification). And I finally got my first beige interior car in my lifetime that I've long desired from Audi since my A3 (got it in gray but would have preferred beige). My Dad's Lexus ES300H was making me jealous of the interior color!

I also miss a DSG transmission somewhat; I just love them for their more natural feel. A more mechanical and aggressive feel, with snappy/sporty shifts, whereas the 8-speed tiptronic is buttery smooth, but just not as snappy, different personality. I believe the B9 generation A4's get the upgraded transmission, whereas the new S4 doesn't, in a opposite reversal of roles from the B8 generation ('09-'16).

Edmund's is making pics difficult. Can no longer attach them easily. Advise on setting an easy hub for photos without cost for a "URL?"

Carvana was cool smooth and fast!!! Their business model seems to fit this forum thread to a T. They are like CCBA adrenaline. I liked trading a VW w/ black interior for an Audi with half the mileage for about $6,500 all in all out the door.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Speaking of which, Audi Mission Viego is 15 miles from Fletcher Jones Audi in Costa Mesa.
    They had a VIRTUALLY identical car!!!!

Differences were limited to only the list below as follows:

Mine:

'15 16K miles, aluminum accents condition solid 9.5 out of 10 $21,890 (lowered multiple times on the lot over 50 days!) .

Mission Viejo's:

'16 28K miles, wood accents (nice!), condition 9 out of 10, rear windows tinted darker (seemed like a good job), but asking $25,000 and didn't seem very interested or motivated in going lower (talked about dealers in area going to Carmax price model). Only on the lot less than 2 weeks.

My balancing act intuitively said the mileage and model year difference effectively cancelled out as a tie. Do you all agree? So it came down to price and condition. Of course, the '16 also gets about another 10 months of warranty I think (not quite a year due to sale date).

LOL... in my sick twisted mind I know where to go to replace my A4 if someone totals it on my way home.... fortunately, no collisions to report :open_mouth:
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Congratulations @andres3, solid choice. I loved my '14 A4.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

@andres3

No, it replaces the Alltrack as my daily commuter/beater :smile:

My wife didn't want the Alltrack back at the end of the Kia Lease on Labor Day weekend. Therefore, another punch coming soon (but not soon by @breld standards).

The TTS will continue to serve as my speedy toy.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

@andres3

My wife didn't want the Alltrack back at the end of the Kia Lease on Labor Day weekend. Therefore, another punch coming soon (but not soon by @breld standards).

What vehicle would your wife like when the Kia goes back?

• Options
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

@andres3

2 punches are always better than 1.

What is on the short list to replace the Kia?