Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,419
    nyccarguy said:

Would be cool to go to the above mentioned, except someone else obviously would drive I’ll be in the passenger seat, only way for me to do it. I will stay let me drive one of those slowly around the track with someone next to me, which I doubt they would do due to legal reasons ha ha Ha.

Marco - you can go and pay to get driven a few laps in a pace car (a modded Mitsubishi Evo).
    I've done that, as well, on my last trip there.

I rode in the back seat - that was not a good choice.

I'd much prefer to be the driver, at those speeds.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited July 2019

See if you can get CarMax to make it right. Just bumpers...

Yeah, but I'm figuring $1k PER BUMPER, for a total of $2K to make it right to Audi standards, if I'm lucky at CA rates.

Still, your idea of Carmax making it "right" rather than lowering the price (which they are loathe to do), is a good idea. If not, goes back, no big deal.

The big deal with bumpers is if it was a standard color (white/grey/black) then it wouldn't be a big deal. The purpose of Misano Red is to seek out a rare and beautiful color, but if the condition is crap, well then, what's the point?

The fact they've both been resprayed also tells me that Carfax/Autocheck are barely worth the web-space they take up.
    Might as well get the one with a dirty car fax for $4K less.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    Completely understand the line of thinking, particularly given the CarMax premium. But they aren’t going to want to unwind this deal, and my guess is if you notice it, someone else will, too.

No harm asking.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Would be cool to go to the above mentioned, except someone else obviously would drive I’ll be in the passenger seat, only way for me to do it. I will stay let me drive one of those slowly around the track with someone next to me, which I doubt they would do due to legal reasons ha ha Ha.

Marco - you can go and pay to get driven a few laps in a pace car (a modded Mitsubishi Evo).
    I've done that, as well, on my last trip there.

I rode in the back seat - that was not a good choice.

I'd much prefer to be the driver, at those speeds.
    For all of us, I agree. I don't think they'll let @marcogallo1986 drive for obvious reasons.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,432
    Cool thing this weekend..

Local general aviation airport had vintage aircraft in, starting on July 4th, offering flight rides, etc. They had three Huey copters from the Vietnam era. On Saturday, the helicopters did a flyover of the Reds stadium, and went right over my house, on the way. I'm about three miles from the stadium, so it was pretty cool, but not that low. (also, I'm three miles from the airport, as the Huey flies).

Yesterday, I was on the back porch, and they came over the ridge... all three of them. Doors open. Circled over the house twice, low enough that I could wave to the people inside. So loud, I couldn't hear my wife speak. It was like being in Apocalypse now. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited July 2019

Completely understand the line of thinking, particularly given the CarMax premium. But they aren’t going to want to unwind this deal, and my guess is if you notice it, someone else will, too.

No harm asking.

Yes, it's very noticeable, and the average Audi buyer will "probably" notice it. There's a lot of money floating around out there, and the way the car drives can make you overlook things, at least for a few minutes (it did to me).

They told me returns were simple fast, no questions asked! 4 documents to be signed is what they said, completely unwinding the deal fast and EASY, with the only fee being days of interest if you keep it more than 3 days which is the contract buyout period (but the limit is 7 days anyway on returns). Part of the Carmax premium covers this 7 day return period without hassles/fees (or so I hope, and will test out soon).

Even if they agree to fix the two bumpers (and some silver paint on the door), they'd have to unwind the deal and have me rebuy it AS IF for the first time, or:
    1) extend the warranties from the day I get the car back after repairs
    2) extend the return period for 7 days after I get the car back from repairs.
    3) Probably lower the price $1,000 unless they do a stellar job (unlikely with CA body shops).
    4) Potentially use a body shop of my choice which may mean 1-month delay since they are busy.

In light of the above, I'm thinking it's better if we just unwind and redo at a later date. That way I'm not on the hook for insurance, fees, taxes, costs, and running timelines with expirations while the car sits in a body shop for what could be a long time (especially since body shops in CA are known to not get it "right" on the first try).

I'm thinking they take it back, fix it, and I'll give them a first right of refusal again, as I am interested in the car if it was in 9 out of 10 or better condition. Restart the timelines, pretend I just did the right thing Sunday and told them to do the above without signing paperwork. Heck, we could use the same paperwork, just redate it , remile it, and initial the changes.

Carvana offering $1,624 more than Carmax on the Alltrack put me in TOO GOOD Of a mood! Vroom came in in the middle of Carmax and Carvana. Carvana has the BEST business model by far in my review of the two companies, though I may be biased by 1,624 reasons.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6SUegrOZPY
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Cool thing this weekend..

Local general aviation airport had vintage aircraft in, starting on July 4th, offering flight rides, etc. They had three Huey copters from the Vietnam era. On Saturday, the helicopters did a flyover of the Reds stadium, and went right over my house, on the way. I'm about three miles from the stadium, so it was pretty cool, but not that low. (also, I'm three miles from the airport, as the Huey flies).

Yesterday, I was on the back porch, and they came over the ridge... all three of them. Doors open. Circled over the house twice, low enough that I could wave to the people inside. So loud, I couldn't hear my wife speak. It was like being in Apocalypse now. ;)

Neat stuff!

I rode in a Huey once... July 1995 IIRC. Definitely loud! I'm glad nobody was shooting at us, because we would not have been able to hear it if they were.... :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @new York car guy good to no! I will have to look innn to that soon!
  • Options
    @michel I agree!
  • Options
    Lol lol whoops
  • Options
    @zwest. I know that guy in the video you posted I’ve seen that video before. Talk with him every now and then on the phone haven’t actually met him in person just yet.
  • Options
    I have him and hisss son on Facebook
  • Options
    @zwest thank you for posting it though!
  • Options
    @zwest when you get the chance look at sum of the other Videos that are posted on their. Yootoob. Chanal
  • Options
    Funny little video of the guy above called me tonight please I text him so we spoke on the phone for a little bit. His son bought on my engine and transmission combo but are you won’t tell me what you paid creed engine for his Dodge dart that he has he’s like I would’ve been happy just to keep an original engine and transmission getting it running good but my son surprised me so he’s all happy so I said me and you gonna drive it one day.
  • Options
    @qbrozen - you’ve had your 3er for a while now. What are your thoughts on having the 4 vs the 6 cylinder?

A 430 GC popped in my area with M sport, Adaptive Suspension, and HK stereo. Looks interesting but not initially something I was targeting.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    Hmmm... which 6-cyl? It definitely does not have the punch of the 135i or CTS V Sport. It feels a bit better than the VQ35. The Alfa’s 4-pot was a little more responsive and flexible, I think. But I am pretty satisfied with the bimmer. It comes alive in Sport+, and I never find myself wishing for more. And I certainly have never gotten this kind of mileage from any boosted engine before.

I think it only lacks in the handling department, and just slightly. Less body lean and more responsive steering would be welcome.

The overall package is still top notch. I mean, here I am 6 mos in and still think another BMW lease after this will be one of my top choices.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    This answered my question. I meant the Bimmer 6 cylinder you’d find in the 440.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    FWIW, I really enjoyed by 428 GC for the time I had it. It's a great overall package. That adaptive suspension (which I did not have) would be an impressive addition, I would think.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,938
    I shouldn't be shopping yet, but this is tempting.

2019 Volvo S60 T6 Momentum AWD
    MSRP: $46540

36/10K - $407 w/ $2300 OOP.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited July 2019
    tjc78 said:

That's a lot of car for the money.

How easy would it be to exit the Elantra lease early? :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    It goes back November 7th, so that's 4 payments @ 210.

Do I pull the trigger now and pay $840 to get the deal or wait until Oct and see if the deals are the same?

Truth be told I haven't driven an S60, but absolutely loved everything about the current gen S90 I drove and that was the smaller engine.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Edit.. it's due back Nov 7th so that should only be Aug, Sept and October's payment ($630) I haven't kept a lease full term in so long...

• Options
    tjc78 said:

It goes back November 7th, so that's 4 payments @ 210.

Do I pull the trigger now and pay $840 to get the deal or wait until Oct and see if the deals are the same?

Truth be told I haven't driven an S60, but absolutely loved everything about the current gen S90 I drove and that was the smaller engine.

tjc78 said:

Edit.. it's due back Nov 7th so that should only be Aug, Sept and October's payment. I haven't kept a lease full term in so long...

$630 over 36 months would be an extra $17.50 added onto the Volvo payment.

Can't tell you what the S60 programs will look like then, But $425/mo for a $46K car is still a darn good payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    That a real offer or Volvo ad one? I assume that doesn’t include all DMV, tax, etc. but seriously nice car, if it’s big enough for you.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Worth exploring for sure, @tjc78. I'm sure you have been seeing what is being posted out of New England for Volvo - may be worth chasing.
  • Options
    This is a broker over on LH. It's all in, doesn't have broker fee in post so that's a few bucks I missed.

$38740 selling price or almost 17% off.

• Options
    Troll locally for a service loaner. Can sometimes get a killer lease on those.

• Options
    @ TJC, go for it you’re so close the end of the lease why not, and you know what all encourage you in here.
  • Options
    First things first I need to test drive one!

Going to see if I can sneak away either tomorrow or Thursday night.

The last few payments aren’t really the issue, it’s just a really busy time for us and we have vacation in a few weeks etc.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

The last few payments aren’t really the issue, it’s just a really busy time for us and we have vacation in a few weeks etc.

I inquired, negotiated, and picked up a car in the span of 90 minutes last week. It goes fast when you aren't doing the dance and you know what you want.
  • Options
    Yes sounds like how I bought Enclave #2. Few emails, one phone call and a drive to the dealer.

I *think* the S60 is what I want but wanted to test drive some stuff. That’s where it is hard to find the time.

• Options
    It's only a few months either way, and the Volvo deals will still be around in a few months, so it really comes down to what you feel is best for you! :)
  • Options
    xwesx said:

It's only a few months either way, and the Volvo deals will still be around in a few months, so it really comes down to what you feel is best for you! :)

The deals may still be there (you hope), but inventory will certainly shrink as we get closer to the end of the model year. May not be able to find the right combination of trim, color and options.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    They just started throwing incentives on the S60. If I had four months to go on my lease, I'd wait until the end of next month, at least.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    He's a lease shopper. the right combo is "cheap".

I agree with Ky. circle back after vacation and a couple more lease payments.

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    tjc78 said:

i liked the S60 T6 when I drove it in January; can get really unique interiors too
    at interstate speeds, there was some ? wind noise? but very nice package
  • Options
    T, shouldn't your wife be test driving this, since it will end up being her daily driver to the speedline?

• Options
    stickguy said:

T, shouldn't your wife be test driving this, since it will end up being her daily driver to the speedline?

No extra charge for the marriage counseling... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I think I’m gonna roll the dice and wait until at least after I make the Aug payment.

Called HF definitely only 3 payments left and due back within 10 days of Nov 7th

@stickguy
    She wants zero to do with it. All we agreed upon was the budget. I told her she is getting the Enclave back as soon as the Hyundai is replaced and she said that’s fine.

Come Sept I’ll only be taking one kid to school two days a week. I won’t need the truckster

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Just so you know I'm not nuts, I believe Carmax quality control personel must be completely color blind, oh nevermind, it won't let me attach photos.

What a shame because I forgot how effortlessly great the Audi S4 drives! Love the car, but $31K for a shoddy front and rear end car is not right, even if under 28K miles.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2019
    A friend took me in a ride in his brand new custom-ordered Porsche 911 yesterday. Wow. Great car. Accelerates like the Millennium Falcon going into hyperspace.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

No extra charge for the marriage counseling... ;)
    My Zen game was apparently on one afternoon, and some guy who was talking to me on a cold call said he really appreciated my patience and advice, and by the way, did I do short-term loans or marriage counseling? :p
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tjc78 said:

Where are you located? There is a broker in the NE with a $55k Inscription loaner for $349+tax and $2500 DAS. And a NEW $51k R design for $369+tax and $2500 DAS.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I’m in South Jersey right near @stickguy

Those look tempting too!

Trying to get a test drive in this week to at least know if I like it as much as the S90

• Options
    I think it is very much going to be an S90 with a shorter back seat and trunk.

• Options

@qbrozen - you’ve had your 3er for a while now. What are your thoughts on having the 4 vs the 6 cylinder?

A 430 GC popped in my area with M sport, Adaptive Suspension, and HK stereo. Looks interesting but not initially something I was targeting.

$7k incentives, 62% RV for 24/12, and .00145 MF. Good god that could be a cheap lease! Not really sure I would jump from my 330 to this outgoing 430. Think I gotta hold out for an X2 35i or a 2019+ 330 or 2020 430 (I’m assuming that is the one getting the 2019 330 upgrades). But, then again, if I could cut $100/mo, why not? I’d have to swap mine, which probably wouldn’t be a problem.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    For as much as I love the Acura I could probably be just as happy in one of these 3 series deals with a payment that's $100 to $125 cheaper.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    same here Pens.