Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,432
    I hit 75 mph in the Fit, yesterday! ;)

Tires look a little dicey for any high speed tests.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Saw that on Indeed.com, Enterprise is still looking for drivers where I'm possibly going to be working. But, the guy who interviewed me told me I was #5 of a group that was going to contain 10 drivers. See that Hertz in Ft. Lauderdale is also looking for drivers, but none have come to our office in over a year now.
    Tomorrow I might find out something more about my new job at Enterprise. The hiring lady returns from her vacation and most likely, she'll hear my voicemail from a week ago. At this point, would be very happy to even start at the beginning of the year to be honest. We're having our drivers lunch this coming Wednesday and if history repeats itself, we should be getting some kind of gift with a $25 gift card inside from the head lady of Hertz in Estero Florida. Guess we had a very good year last year as that was the first time we drivers got anything at the holidays. Thought it was a nice gesture to be honest as I spent mine on a few nice lunches at work. Wouldn't turn down another one if it came this year.
    So hoping to hear something tomorrow or Tuesday. I left a voicemail with the HR lady and the guy who interviewed me and think that's enough to be honest. I'll be unhappy if they rescind their offer, very unhappy, but I've still got the Hertz gig and will be happy to stay. Just the prospect of driving less miles eventually was looking very nice. Even if I have to work a fourth day near the house, the less driving each way would be a good thing. Working almost 40 hours last week just showed me how much I really do not want to do that every week! I can see doing it once or twice a month but not every week. The extra income does not make up for how tired I was by Friday and how draggy I was yesterday and today.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    Sandy, a lot of places like that leave postings up permanently, since they have regular turnover. They just ignore the applications when they don't actually have an opening.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    had a little bit of kismet today. was out with the wife (near home in Jersey) and ended up behind a nice blue Santa Fe 2.0t. Even had temp tags from a dealer in Maryland. Made me think it was the one I found a few days back, but a different dealer.

Of course, in that light (overcast still from the rain that had just stopped) she then decided she wasn't sure about the blue! I can't win.

• Options
    mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    I bought a Cayenne S yesterday. I'm going to join a legitimate (not that all of you aren't wonderful :D ) support group for compulsive shopping. Everything with dad has me super stressed, but going on a shopping spree (I've also agreed to purchase a GL 63) is not the appropriate response. I got a good deal on both of these, that rush is so intense for me. I'm putting everything on Turo...

My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November 2019
    Nice looking red hot chili pepper!

I hope that your dad is doing well and improving.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Congrats @mb_enthusiast!

And also best wishes for your father.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955

I bought a Cayenne S yesterday. I'm going to join a legitimate (not that all of you aren't wonderful :D ) support group for compulsive shopping. Everything with dad has me super stressed, but going on a shopping spree (I've also agreed to purchase a GL 63) is not the appropriate response. I got a good deal on both of these, that rush is so intense for me. I'm putting everything on Turo...

Hey, you can always export them. Haha

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I can see why the Porsche color is rare. Not for me! And yes, the flares on the Mazda are nasty.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411

Congrats!

And, like the others, here's hoping your dad is improving.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @mb_enthusiast, nice Cayenne. Hope your dad will be well and be able to take a spin in it with you real soon.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    mjfloyd1 said:
    There are a lot of ugly GTSes. I looked at one that was in that Peridot Green color. Just awful.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    Congrats on the punch, @mb_enthusiast ! Hope your dad is able to ride in it soon.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    In Disney. Holy humanity!
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

Here is a good one for you all...

Had a VM on my home phone from Hyundai Finance last night to call them about my 2017 Elantra.

I didn't call the number they gave but the number on the website this morning just in case it was a scam. I asked what the call was about, and she said Dispo fee.

I said, OK I'm prepared to pay it but you never sent a bill.

She confirms they never sent a bill. BUT ... Mr TJC78 you can pay it right now with a CC.

I said no, please send me the bill so I have a paper trail. I asked if I could pay online but they disable that once you turn your car in.

Yeah, Kia & Hyundai handle their final lease bills like a collection agency rather than a business you did business with.

I got two calls today, and another letter (must be like the 4th letter) saying I owe them $350 for the key the dealership lost
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    here is an interesting one. Seemed too cheap, until saw it was a buyback. So probably needs to be cheaper.

but I liked the way they disclosed exactly what happened, and had all the paperwork to prove it, and that it still has full warranty. So most likely in terms of what you are getting, it is a perfectly fine car no different than any other one. For the right price to keep it for a long time, might be OK.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/794190460/overview/

• Options
    Sounds sketchy. Why would they buy it back after fixing it? I would've gladly kept my lemon Pontiac G6 if they'd have replaced the entire defective transmission and slid me some money for my trouble.
  • Options
    if the paperwork checks out, should be legit.

my guess is the buyer raised holy heck and had some sort of pull and they agreed to swap out the car instead. Then just fixed it and resold it.

or there could be more to the story, but if they are keeping the warranty in place, can't be too bad!

• Options
    Possibly they didn’t properly fix it till after the buyback. First few tries while customer had it failed.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

In case anyone is curious, BMW refunded our security deposits on the X1 without any issue. Took them about 4 weeks after the car was grounded and they deposited it straight into the linked checking account we had for auto-pay. The disposition fee waiver was credited just about immediately as was the $300 under-mileage credit to my i3 account. Not too shabby.

That's great. I've never had issues with doing MSDs with BMW or Infiniti.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The MSD is basically just loaning them money, right?

• Options
    stickguy said:

The MSD is basically just loaning them money, right?

Yes... for a big decrease in the rate.

Terms aren't as generous as they used to be. But, since it lowers the payment, the returns are "after-tax".
    Depending on the deal, the return could be 7%-15% APR on the amount of the deposit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I get that part. I just never understood why the finance company wants to do it (borrowing ST money at such a steep rate)

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    MSD saves me $50 per month on my Tacoma Lease.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    It saved us $29/month on the X1 lease.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I get that part. I just never understood why the finance company wants to do it (borrowing ST money at such a steep rate)

Maybe some people forget to get it back?
    And they still make money on the interest you pay, so its not like they are LOSING money, they just aren't making as much off of certain individuals as they could.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Hearing you guys talk about leasing, I'm actually thinking of leasing my next vehicle. I only leased one car, and that was a long time ago.

How are they doing leases these days? My feeling is no out of pocket to do a lease. Is that still the way they do them?

I'm thinking the next car I get will get me to retirement, and I don't know what I'll want by then.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411

Hearing you guys talk about leasing, I'm actually thinking of leasing my next vehicle. I only leased one car, and that was a long time ago.

How are they doing leases these days? My feeling is no out of pocket to do a lease. Is that still the way they do them?

I'm thinking the next car I get will get me to retirement, and I don't know what I'll want by then.

In OH, we recommend first payment and registration costs be paid at signing. Roll the taxes and fees into the lease payment.

It's funny you say that ... I've been leasing, off and on, for 20 years. Now that my cars are paid off, I can't get my mind around leasing again. Ideally, I'd like to find something relatively inexpensive for my next car, and pay cash.

But, I don't need a car of my own, at the moment. I've been driving the Outback since I turned in the Jetta in August, and I'm only putting a few hundred miles a month on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I’m thinking I buy the next one too. The good/expensive car will be the wife’s, and that is certainly a buy unless there is Some amazing lease offer for a lease then buy.

Mine will be cheaper. So could be a ultra cheap lease, or keep the RDX. Or buy something. Might do that so I can amuse myself flipping cars at will! Just on a much cheaper scale than Breld.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    edited November 2019
    stickguy said:

here is an interesting one. Seemed too cheap, until saw it was a buyback. So probably needs to be cheaper.

but I liked the way they disclosed exactly what happened, and had all the paperwork to prove it, and that it still has full warranty. So most likely in terms of what you are getting, it is a perfectly fine car no different than any other one. For the right price to keep it for a long time, might be OK.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/794190460/overview/

I didn't read the details.... but I assume they bought it back because the new owner claimed (rightly) that the vehicle caused them severe depression? :D

I don't know if it was the surroundings or what, but that grey over black was just a total downer.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Maybe some people forget to get it back?
    And they still make money on the interest you pay, so its not like they are LOSING money, they just aren't making as much off of certain individuals as they could.
    I suspect they do just fine with it. After all, they get the money up front and make (and keep) interest on it during that time. For the lease, they don't get the money until you pay them. So, if they didn't get that extra $29 off @28firefighter until the last month of his lease, but instead got $3,000 from him up front, then they will likely earn more than $29 in interest or dividends, so they actually come out ahead.

It's a win for both parties.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Well, it’s $29/month. So they lose $1,044 in payments, to invest $3000 for 3 years. Need a pretty high ROR to make that work out!

• Options
    stickguy said:

Well, it’s $29/month. So they lose $1,044 in payments, to invest $3000 for 3 years. Need a pretty high ROR to make that work out!

Hey now... don't start using actual math to win arguments.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    xwesx said:

I didn't read the details.... but I assume they bought it back because the new owner claimed (rightly) that the vehicle caused them severe depression? :D

I don't know if it was the surroundings or what, but that grey over black was just a total downer.

That color (?) combo represents perhaps 20% of what you find on dealer lots here. In fact the '09 Lacrosse I bought was silver, which I was OK with, but the reason I liked it at the time I first saw it was because it had a pleasant-looking light gray leather interior, when all of the other ones I had seen were afflicted with black inside.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Not a combo I am buying.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439

Leasing is definitely great and you can make it work to your advantage. I like the 2 year lease I'm in now. It keeps me in the vehicle for 2 years for one. It also allows me to drive for 2 years without replacing consumables like tires and brakes. Next time around I might look to get into something like a Civic, Jetta, or Mazda 3 Sedan with a stick so I can teach my son to drive stick on someone else's clutch.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I like the 3 year lease. that is fine by me, as long as you make sure you like the car. and don't have to be reupping as often.

if you don't do more than 10K/year it is especially good. still should not need tires, and the rates are good.

good point about the clutch. just be careful, if he kills it, could be on your dime. so time it to be the last month or 2 of the lease!

• Options
    I was finally able to find and buy a suitable doggy hauler. I've been very pleased with it over the past 24 hours. The Active Curve System allows it to handle damn near close to a car. It's fun, but sometimes it does feel a little overpowered and clumsy from a stoplight—especially in comfort and eco mode.

It was so hard to find an exclusionary extended warranty, but my dealer found a three year through Zurich. Amazing!

• Options
    maybe I should scale back. The TLX is about 4 weeks from the 1 year mark, and I feel ready! Only because I am ready to upgrade the other car and don't want 2 real payments.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    My son thinks I need to find a nice DB7; the supercharged sixes are relatively cheap and easy to maintain. I still regret passing on a $15k DBS in the '80s.
    I might be going down the rabbit hole...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

My son thinks I need to find a nice DB7; the supercharged sixes are relatively cheap and easy to maintain. I still regret passing on a $15k DBS in the '80s.
    I might be going down the rabbit hole...

I found a “cheap” DB7 once. It was a droptop, though.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    I should never have bought the Brooklands Ultimate Portfolio on Astons...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @mb_enthusiast Nice GL! One of my friends bought a used GL (non-AMG) as a daily driver to do occasional towing and they really seem to love it.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

In OH, we recommend first payment and registration costs be paid at signing. Roll the taxes and fees into the lease payment.

It's funny you say that ... I've been leasing, off and on, for 20 years. Now that my cars are paid off, I can't get my mind around leasing again. Ideally, I'd like to find something relatively inexpensive for my next car, and pay cash.

But, I don't need a car of my own, at the moment. I've been driving the Outback since I turned in the Jetta in August, and I'm only putting a few hundred miles a month on it.
    Thanks, Michaell!

This was all triggered by meeting with my financial advisor last week. I saw my withdrawals for all the cars I’ve bought in the last 5 or so years, and was pretty shocked. I had a number in my mind that I had spent. The numbers on paper far exceeded the ones in my head.

I’m figuring a lease may mitigate some of that, especially if I don’t know what I really want (I don’t). Right now, I’m pretty stuck on just rolling up mileage on my TLX until something really floats my boat. If I do that, it will be the first car I’ve owned that was out of warranty (with the exception of the Cobra) in well over a decade.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring