Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Michaell said:

Yes, the L300 was the loaded model, with the 3.0L V6....I kept it for about 7 years and just over 90,000 miles when we traded it in on my daughter's first MINI. Got $3000 in trade. Overall, I liked the car. Smooth, reasonably quick - but, down on power when compared to the Camry, Accord and Altima of the time. It didn't nickel and dime me to death. It took massive chunks of money from my budget. Had two BCM's fail - the first one cost me $600 to repair, the second I got for a discount because the first one failed after a year. Had to replace the rotors and calipers, as well - that was another $1200 fix....

I looked at the Camry SE V6 (wife dismissed it with one look), the Accord V6 and the Passat V6 AWD. The Accord and Passat were just out of my budget; they were around $30K whereas the Saturn was something like $26K.

I will say that I truly enjoyed the Saturn experience. Yeah, you couldn't negotiate on the price, but they were genuinely focused on customer service - both in the sales and service departments. My immediate family ended up buying 3 more new, and 1 used, Saturn, after that.

Thanks for the report. Your experience seems to show both the good and the bad of the Saturn experience. I'm still little sad they killed Saturn. Heck, I'm even still sad they killed Oldsmobile. And don't get me started on LaSalle lol!

As an aside at about the same time you got your Saturn, in 2002 I got a new Honda Accord LX 4-cylinder 5-speed manual for c. $16,000. I kept it for 8 years and 90,000 miles and didn't have any repairs beyond maintenance and tires. I think I got c. 5k in trade at the end. But I was happy to have a 4-cylinder Accord, even a base model. It would have seemed like a stripper compared to your L300, but to me at the time it seemed like a precision luxury car compared to anything I'd owned before.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    ab348 said:

I believe that Vader once owned the Yanks.
    Ok, maybe the local alternative:

Let's go Mets!
    Amazin', amazin', amazin'
    RC Cola, Rheingold, Plymouth
    Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner
    Ya gotta believe!
    The true Tom Terrific
    Mookie woulda beat it out anyway!

Yes, grew up a Mets fan, but never the Yanks.

Everybody sing!

Meet The Mets
    Meet The Mets
    Step right up and Greet The Mets
    Bring your kiddies,
    Bring your wife,
    Guarenteed to have the time of your life
    Because the Mets are really socking the ball
    Knocking those home runs over the wall
    East Side
    West Side
    Everybody's going down
    To Meet the M-E-T-S Mets,
    Of New York Town

Oh, the butcher and the baker and the man in the street. where are they going? To meet the Mets!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    sda said:

Proud father moment. The little one has started counting the gears when I am shifting. He's pretty good - he knows when I'm in neutral and when I shift to first.

That’s great. Wait until he learns to read the speedometer! I made the mistake of explaining what it is and speed limit signs to my daughter when she was very young. She would pop up, daddy it’s 45 slow down, or you’re going too fast. A little speed monitor she was. She also called out her mom, lol. Now that she’s driving she claims it’s ok to go up to 5 over the limit. I wonder where she got that idea. Oh boy.
    Mine loved to do that for a while. “Dad gets us there faster because he drives 80!”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    72 month, 0% loan on the 2017 X3. I'm guessing I won't pay it off early. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    I took out a 60 month on the Jag @1.84%. Figured during the term, interest rates would rise and I would be ahead of the game with investments. Well, they did start rising, during the final year... another swing and a miss.

Hello, Mr. Met!
    When I was very young, the Mets were very bad. So, being a clever lad, I rewrote the first few lines of the song:

Beat The Mets
    Beat The Mets
    Step right up and Beat The Mets
    It's so easy,
    It's so fun,
    All you need is one run and you've won
    Because the Mets are really dropping the ball
    Watching those home runs sail over the wall...

So young, so cynical.
    And, then, The Miracle!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    I was checking out some cars on AutoList and I see quite a few with no prices just “Accepting Offers”. Is that something new or is this a function of cars not selling and dealers just throwing up their hands to get whatever they can?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I just ordered $200 of gift cards from my local pub, for use when they reopen. Hope they make it - I still have $400 in gift cards from there in my drawer from stocking up during their holiday promotion (20% off).
  • Options
    I was seeing a lot of "call for price" even before the shutdowns. but asking for offers does not surprise me. If they are willing to cut obscene deals to move units, good chance people will actually offer more.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I was seeing a lot of "call for price" even before the shutdowns. but asking for offers does not surprise me. If they are willing to cut obscene deals to move units, good chance people will actually offer more.

Yeah, the “call for price” has been around forever. Never understood it as I thought it was manipulative and I’d just move on. But this is a new thing for me. It seemed more open ended as if those dealers weren’t sure what the market price was anymore. Someone mentioned the lack of auction prices to guide them.

Might be time to throw around some insane low offers and see what happens. Makes me wish for a bigger driveway.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I would be doing it if I was in between cars and really had to get one once the life embargo ended. Hit up all the local dealers and see which one if any wants to bite.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    Installed a very important upgrade on the ZHP today. My Eagles license plate frame.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    I could get you a nice Pitt one too 👀
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    The last time I had a friend send me stuff from Pittsburgh, he included a half dozen terrible towels.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Thanks so much everybody for the birthday wishes!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

Installed a very important upgrade on the ZHP today. My Eagles license plate frame.

Yeah!! Fly Eagles Fly.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    OK, I don’t want to hear about any of you guys taking joy rides in PA. I can get a nickel reward for turning you in. :p

https://youtu.be/JpICYU04bHQ

• Options

Cuts value in half

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

The last time I had a friend send me stuff from Pittsburgh, he included a half dozen terrible towels.

Good substitute for toilet paper.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

mjfloyd1 said:
    I wonder if those were the cars that Sandy parked.
    Wrong side of the state

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

mjfloyd1 said:
    I wonder if those were the cars that Sandy parked.
    The worst part is I've been hearing rumors that his lead told him not to park those cars there. That's going to come out of his paycheck when he's called back to work. But then there are rumors about that too. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Good substitute for toilet paper.. :p
    Hey now
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    I was wondering when they would start enforcing. I am sure the police want no part of it. But I would argue that for me, driving occasionally is life sustaining!

I told my wife that if we are going out, even to just cruise around, bring a shop rite bag with some stuff in it, and just say we were out getting necessities.

• Options
    You could always just say you were out of TP and searching for a store that had it.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,366
    OK, here's a question for everyone. We live fairly close to a municipal airport, and I'm seeing and hearing private planes flying around. Is that considered "essential" travel? It's not like they can land in the parking lot of the local Wal-Mart to pick up supplies.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    We live near a municipal airport, too.
    Air traffic is way down.
    Do occasionally hear the sound of a prop motor.
    Commercial traffic to CT's main airport(BDL) seems to be almost non existent.
    We live about 30 miles from it, so used to hearing and seeing a lot of planes.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Planes are not grounded, so airports are still operating. Nothing stopping flights from happening and, in some cases, they’re considered essential.

Ideally you shouldn’t be hearing private pilots flying, but as long as they’re flying solo they’re probably more socially distanced than most.
  • Options
    you aren't supposed to go anywhere, but you can get really cheap airfares, on real airlines. My friend said he saw Boston to Chicago now for $51. We were supposed to be going out to Chi town over Memorial day with them, but that ain't happening now.

• Options
    I'm so happy we got our vacation for this year in already. If things come back online by the summer we may do a short getaway to someplace close but that's probably it.
  • Options
    Our vacation is getting cancelled. Cruise to Alaska won’t be happening - even if they don’t cancel it for us, my parents refuse to take the gamble so soon after this mess. Can’t say I disagree, plus I think it is likely to be cancelled by the cruise line - half the season has already been cancelled.
  • Options
    we lost 2 vacations (both long weekends, but still going away) and our Easter trip to NY to visit family. I think we are going to take a week off late in June and hope by then we can go someplace (probably Vermont) that is open! No way I am buying tickets. Will drive, and worry about accommodations closer to the time. So if it has to be scrubbed, oh well. Will have a week off at home I guess.

I am still worried that the beach towns are going to stay shut down, and our weeks rental at the Jersey shore has to be cancelled. That we have not missed in 25 years. Third week of July is when we go, so if this is still shutting life down at that point this country is done.

• Options
    Hawaii trip planned for September. Plane tickets purchased (easy to change), deposits made for condos on two islands. $1750 in deposits, but final payments due in July (another $2600).

Not the end of the world, if we eat the $1750, and put it off, but making the decision by early July might be tough, to avoid losing the final payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    We were going to SC in a couple of weeks; we moved it until fall.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I am a big cruise fan but no way I’d go on one....indefinitely....
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Recinded my vacation time for the end of March trip to Ohio and Easter trip to Wisconsin.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I never thought I'd say this but it's too bad that the closing on Son #1's second flip house was put on hold do to this virus thingy because I could sure use a few hours to bang on something right about now. :@

jmonroe

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,366
    edited April 2020
    My son, his wife and her daughter are scheduled to take a cruise of the Baltic this September. Already paid for, but I don't know what the cancellation or postponement policies are.

And, I was hoping to take a trip to CA in May. That's not likely to happen, now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    We can’t go to our summer place by the shore until 5/1 at the earliest now. We should have been able to open on 3/30. It really stinks having to pay for something you can’t use.

Cruises: One man’s opinion that the industry is going to take a very long time to recover.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Cruises: One man’s opinion that the industry is going to take a very long time to recover.

I happen to think that cruising will never be the same, if it recovers at all. It was already well known for being an easy way to get norovirus if it breaks out on the ship - folks are going to be paranoid for a long long time.
  • Options
    I haven’t read up much, but I wonder how many lines cancelled new builds. It certainly wouldn’t be a smart thing to introduce a new ship.

• Options
    I also think that regardless of size and occupancy that there will be new regulations to thin out the amount of passengers. I’m thinking something like 60% of max capacity

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

we lost 2 vacations (both long weekends, but still going away) and our Easter trip to NY to visit family. I think we are going to take a week off late in June and hope by then we can go someplace (probably Vermont) that is open! No way I am buying tickets. Will drive, and worry about accommodations closer to the time. So if it has to be scrubbed, oh well. Will have a week off at home I guess.

I am still worried that the beach towns are going to stay shut down, and our weeks rental at the Jersey shore has to be cancelled. That we have not missed in 25 years. Third week of July is when we go, so if this is still shutting life down at that point this country is done.

If this thing goes past May, which is a full 31 days after a 30 day month of April, then I'm afraid social distancing was pointless and useless. Sort of like the people telling you that you'll live longer driving 55 MPH.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

tjc78 said:

I happen to think that cruising will never be the same, if it recovers at all. It was already well known for being an easy way to get norovirus if it breaks out on the ship - folks are going to be paranoid for a long long time.
    Chipotle recovered, I"m sure cruise ships will too. All they have to do is lower prices.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    we were never cruise people to start with (for various reasons) but I was not rabid about it (my wife, different story). But you could not pay me to go on a big boat at this point.

my father and his wife had a river boat cruise (some river up the middle of Europe) scheduled for April or May. They scrapped that a while back, rescheduled for IIRC August. Not sure if that will even be happening. Would not upset me, since not really a great time for a pair of 91 YO people to be travelling solo to Europe then being on a boat for 7-10 days (though it is a smaller river boat so way less people, it is still going to be a breeding ground).

• Options
    Andre, it won't necessarily mean the precautions were not needed. Just as likely it means that without them, the result would have been way more catastrophic.

you could be right about the boats though. After the constant reports of illnesses and other problems, I am surprised people are still going on them. But if they keep the prices cheap enough (and the free booze flowing) quite likely some folks will keep booking.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Wife and I were supposed to go to London May 11th. We’re obviously not going, but just waiting for British Airways to cancel the flight so I can get our money back without any penalties.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

If this thing goes past May, which is a full 31 days after a 30 day month of April, then I'm afraid social distancing was pointless and useless. Sort of like the people telling you that you'll live longer driving 55 MPH.
    I should have known, if anyone in here could have drawn a parallel of this virus to speeding it would be you.

jmonroe