Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

au1994 said:

this should be the next topic since dishwashers if kaput...

1.favorite car owned

2. favorite car that 'got away'-- or which one of Breld car would we have kept

B)

au1994 said:

It’s funny, we all have ‘the one that got away’ or ‘the one I should not have sold’. I think we need a new category: ‘The one of @breld’s that I would not have sold’. The Polestar would be it for me.

The ZHP is my favorite and the one I should not have sold. That still keeps me up at night when I see a good one pop up on BaT or the owners here mention them.
    My 4 year old told me yesterday that he wants to drive the ZHP when he's older. I'm so proud.
    We call this a parenting win.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    au1994 said:

au1994 said:

1.favorite car owned

B)

au1994 said:

It’s funny, we all have ‘the one that got away’ or ‘the one I should not have sold’. I think we need a new category: ‘The one of @breld’s that I would not have sold’. The Polestar would be it for me.

The ZHP is my favorite and the one I should not have sold. That still keeps me up at night when I see a good one pop up on BaT or the owners here mention them.
    My 4 year old told me yesterday that he wants to drive the ZHP when he's older. I'm so proud.
    My 7 year old wants a Tesla

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    when my son was little he was fixated on looking in cars to see if they had a stick, and announcing it out load. He was quite the hit when we went to local car shows (he was probably 3-4 at the time). Yes, I was proud.

Now he wants a Cayman or M240 or something similar.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

au1994 said:

au1994 said:

1.favorite car owned

B)

au1994 said:

My 7 year old wants a Tesla
    Speaking of Tesla's.....

A guy that went from a Prius to a Tesla said the following:

So I go to pass an 18-wheeler for the first time in my Tesla, and I used my old Prius maneuver (floor the throttle and go). Only in the Tesla, I was startled, surprised, and suddenly found myself doing 102 MPH. They really ought to warn people about this.

Another Tesla person chimed in - Perhaps they should default all new Teslas to "chill mode" at first.

Another yet, chimed in with - "There should be special licensing for the faster modes and having a "performance" car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    I did the exact same thing - before I could read I would flip through Car and Driver and look for all the manual trans cars.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    stickguy said:

when my son was little he was fixated on looking in cars to see if they had a stick, and announcing it out load. He was quite the hit when we went to local car shows (he was probably 3-4 at the time). Yes, I was proud.

Me, too...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Funny, I want a nicely loaded dark blue GTI manual with plaid seats that is still under warranty.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    stickguy said:

Funny, I want a nicely loaded dark blue GTI manual with plaid seats that is still under warranty.

If only you had one of the other two, we could swap!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    stickguy said:

Of course, a baby stickguy....a chip off the ole block!
  • Options
    I am really starting to like these. Not a great color, but nice looking vehicle. the 2.0T/AWD should be entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gen9fsdzYXs

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    edited March 2021
    stickguy said:

I am really starting to like these. Not a great color, but nice looking vehicle. the 2.0T/AWD should be entertaining.

IMO, depends on the curb weight. I know the four banger turbo was panned in the fifth-gen Explorer, as the boost could not make up for the displacement of the 3.5 liter V6, although I think it was considered adequate in the Edge.
  • Options
    it likely ways about what the Bronco Sport does since it is the same platform. Hopefully not too much more. That was reasonably quick (at least based on the road test in the C&D I read last night). 7.2 maybe? I'm not looking for Hellcat territory!

My old Nissan I think had about 162 HP. It still got the job done.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    What have I done???
    It is with a profound sadness that I report on the passing (to the dealer in trade) of my beloved Jaguar XF. The passing was sudden as it simply took me to the dealer for a test drive. But, then, well, baby did a bad, bad thing...

Sorry, life has become a bit wicked busy as of late. So, apologies for the "tease." But, I guess I've answered all your questions, have a nice night.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    not until the signature line is updated to whatever the new baby is.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

IMO, depends on the curb weight. I know the four banger turbo was panned in the fifth-gen Explorer, as the boost could not make up for the displacement of the 3.5 liter V6, although I think it was considered adequate in the Edge.
    The 1.5L makes 181hp and the 2.0L makes up to 240hp in some applications (maybe more). Anybody’s guess what the Maverick will get but yeah, if it weighs 4000 pounds it won’t be much fun.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    @corvette,
    5th Gen Explorer owner here. :p
    The 2.3 turbo kills the NA 3.5 in power and fuel mileage.
    3.5 ecoboost is still faster, though.
    3.0 ecoboost is faster than any of the above.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I watched that TFL review on the Ridgeline. Driving the Pilot for the past week, I have no doubts that their review is nothing less than 100% accurate. That red paint with the gold wheels and the HFP package is just gaudy in my opinion. Given that I’ve used my truck to tow exactly once (and that was a trailer & kayaks my Prelude could handle), payload capacity and how much can I fit in the bed & back seat matter most to me. The Ridgeline’s bed seems to be a lot more shallow than my Tacoma. I’d also have to check the rest of the bed dimensions. They did a nice job with the 2021 facelift.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I’m not a huge NB Miata fan, but this caught my eye:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9azxRx2l/2002-mazda-mx-5-miata

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    there was a 3.0T also? I know there was a 2.7, which I never understood how it seemed to be more powerful than the 3.5T.

I actually pulled up the road test. The Bronco sport Badlands with the 2.0T (250/277 output) weighs 3,733s, and ran 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. So assuming the open bed doesn't add too much weight, it should run reasonably quick.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

nice looking. that is the generation Miata I had. And never could comfortably fit in. Newer ones, especially with a power seat, are better. Still the issue of getting in and out though!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

I watched that TFL review on the Ridgeline. Driving the Pilot for the past week, I have no doubts that their review is nothing less than 100% accurate. That red paint with the gold wheels and the HFP package is just gaudy in my opinion. Given that I’ve used my truck to tow exactly once (and that was a trailer & kayaks my Prelude could handle), payload capacity and how much can I fit in the bed & back seat matter most to me. The Ridgeline’s bed seems to be a lot more shallow than my Tacoma. I’d also have to check the rest of the bed dimensions. They did a nice job with the 2021 facelift.

the bed seemed decently deep to me. Actually, I always thought the Tacoma was on the shallow side? Probably need to see and measure in person. At least the payload is nice and high. And as you note, if you mostly need to carry bulky/dirty stuff, and never plan to tow much or anything heavy, a truck like a Ridgeline is likely more than enough. TFL pretty much proved that point. I know my wife would much rather drive one of those on occasion, than a 1/2 ton big one (actually, if I brought a Ram home, almost can guarantee she would refuse to ever drive it). Plus I could probably get it in the garage (though power folding mirrors would be a nice thing for that task).

• Options
    Sounds nice Dada. I can certainly imagine that there is going to be a learning curve on all that tech. I think there are still a number of menus or features on the RDX that I have not actually played with yet.

• Options
    looked it up. A ridgeline bed is 64l, 60w, 16.7h Tacoma is 60, 57, 19.1.

so Toyota actually has a slightly smaller footprint, but is about 2.5 inches taller. Not sure would really notice that but you might!

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    edited March 2021

@corvette,
    5th Gen Explorer owner here. :p
    The 2.3 turbo kills the NA 3.5 in power and fuel mileage.
    3.5 ecoboost is still faster, though.
    3.0 ecoboost is faster than any of the above.

Now that I look, I think the early negative reviews were of the 2.0T in the FWD fifth gen Explorer, it sounds like the 2.3T was/is better, and was offered in the fifth gen later on, in both FWD and AWD. I also suspect that, if the turbo models are rated for regular and you feed them premium fuel, they will be even more sprightly.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

so Toyota actually has a slightly smaller footprint, but is about 2.5 inches taller. Not sure would really notice that but you might!

Then there is the problem of it being the exact same vehicle as my wife’s Pilot. I don’t want 2 identical vehicles.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    Congrats, @laurasdada ! Post some pics.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Then there is the problem of it being the exact same vehicle as my wife’s Pilot. I don’t want 2 identical vehicles.
    I had that thought, once. In hindsight, I should have done it.

First wife and I bought a 1991 Protege LX. Dark blue, either grey or blue interior. Great little car. A few months later, it was my turn, and I looked at the Protege as well - except, the one I spotted was a light blue and a stick shift.

I was gravitating towards a 2 door, so I checked out the Hyundai S’Coupe (remember those?j, the Civic Si, and the Nissan Sentra. Really wanted the SE-R, but it was out of budget, so I got the SE trim level instead.

Should have gone with the Mazda - a couple of years later, we split up and I ended up moving to Denver. A car with cruise, AC, and power windows would have been nice to have at the time. And, it was a sharp looking thing - an E-Class at around 75-80% of the size.

Probably would have kept it longer, too.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    Michaell said:

I had that thought, once. In hindsight, I should have done it.

First wife and I bought a 1991 Protege LX. Dark blue, either grey or blue interior. Great little car. A few months later, it was my turn, and I looked at the Protege as well - except, the one I spotted was a light blue and a stick shift.

Probably would have kept it longer, too.

Those Proteges were good little cars.

In 1997, I had a friend with a Bronco II that was starting to nickel and dime her. She decided she wanted out of it and was waffling on what to get (but pretty much only looking at stuff that was too expensive for her budget). I happened across this silvery-blue Protege that was priced right with relatively low miles, good condition, stick shift. I talked her into getting it (she was all about another SUV or a truck, even though she really didn't need either), and she ended up keeping it longer than I kept in contact with her. Up to that point, she had no issues with it whatsoever.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Congratulations on the A7 @laurasdada

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    Congrats @laurasdada

Nice ride! Post some pics!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gen9fsdzYXs

Definitely interested!

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    au1994 said:

au1994 said:

I haven’t taken the time to watch the video to see if he addresses rust but Dennis Collins is pretty well known in the collector car world and runs a very successful Jeep aftermarket parts business so I’d like to THINK he wouldn’t risk his reputation on selling a bondo mobile at these prices but yes, at the end of the day its an old Blazer from Minnesota. Trust but verify.

I knew I’d heard that name somewhere. That’s Dennis from Fast & Loud, right? From what I saw on that show he’s an avid car collector.

I also remember Richard Rawlings rebuilding a Bronco that was more rust than metal.
    Yes, he and Richard go way back. He’s a big time Mustang guy but has some decent knowledge across the board.

I remember the Bronco episode. By the time they media blasted it and saw the Swiss cheese, they ended up rebodying it if I recall.
    Dennis and Richard won the Cannon Ball run together a while ago. Dennis manufactures Jeep aftermarket parts, restores and customizes cars (mostly Jeeps). I think he has a Jeep franchise, too.

They’ve both going the YouTube route for their respective shows. I’ve watched both. I like both...no scripted drama.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @laurasdada ....BIG CONGRATS! Now, you’ve become the new “cool kid” in here with an electrified A7.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

I’m not seeing the value there on a 19 year old car unless the driving dynamics are extraordinary. I may be a troglodyte but to me that’s a $3k car...ok $5k because it’s a Miata.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Congrats, laurasdada!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Nice looking but not a fan of the black wheels at all in this application. Is it just me or do those tires look nearly bald?

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Congratulations @laurasdada! Sounds like at the end of the day your heart won out...as it should be.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I think it’s more from the tread pattern. As in, they don’t have much! Looks like 18k miles on them, so could be getting low.

Car not used much. If I can make out the miles on the car fax, only done 2k miles in last 3 years.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    @laurasdada,
    Congrats and we need pics(the car). :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

The Bimmer wagon is back. Clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, and (as a last minute find) a new rear main seal. Whew.

Just think how your efforts have contributed to boosting the local economy. Some mechanic’s kid can now go to college thanks to you. :D

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Congrats @laurasdada on the electrified A7 , don't think I have seen one of those on the road yet.
  • Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Yes, congrats @laurasdada, looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Definitely worth doing rear main while the flywheel was off. Don’t want to have to pull it apart again if it starts leaking.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411
    @laurasdada - congrats on the A7E (hey, isn't that also a Navy fighter?)

@28firefighter - glad to hear the 5-series Touring is back together. That has to be a fun car to have.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    edited March 2021
    Michaell said:

@28firefighter - glad to hear the 5-series Touring is back together. That has to be a fun car to have.

Except when it comes time to write the cheques to pay for the mitaswells.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990

The Bimmer wagon is back. Clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, and (as a last minute find) a new rear main seal. Whew.

Just think how your efforts have contributed to boosting the local economy. Some mechanic’s kid can now go to college thanks to you. :D
    Or he can make his boat payment.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    laurasdada - congrats on the A7 !
    - Ray
    Agree - pics please
    2022 X3 M40i