Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,598

@qbrozen said:
    Just for fun, I went to dodge.com and built a Charger SP again. This time, I managed to get certain things to line up and specced a Gold Rush (adds blacked out hood/roof/trunk) and matching gold/black alcantara seats. Also the plus and handling packages. Comes to $51.6k. Not cheap but compared to other fast big 4-doors, it is actually quite reasonable. After discount and taxes and fees, should be right around $50k.

Then got me thinking how many flips would I need to pay for it. Got $3500 on the LT1, then $5200 on the Jeep. I’m anticipating, if things hold up, at least $15k on the Ram and $7k on the Ford. Puts me at 30. MAYBE make some on another jeep. So let’s say 35. I could probably get close to the rest from my Daytona. Hmmmmmm….
    Let’s call it 6-mo Plan A.

I wish you luck but I think you’d have to sell the Daytona twice to get close to your numbers. But, doing that would land you in the slammer, so you better not do that. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:
    Just for fun, I went to dodge.com and built a Charger SP again. This time, I managed to get certain things to line up and specced a Gold Rush (adds blacked out hood/roof/trunk) and matching gold/black alcantara seats. Also the plus and handling packages. Comes to $51.6k. Not cheap but compared to other fast big 4-doors, it is actually quite reasonable. After discount and taxes and fees, should be right around $50k.

Then got me thinking how many flips would I need to pay for it. Got $3500 on the LT1, then $5200 on the Jeep. I’m anticipating, if things hold up, at least $15k on the Ram and $7k on the Ford. Puts me at 30. MAYBE make some on another jeep. So let’s say 35. I could probably get close to the rest from my Daytona. Hmmmmmm….

I wish you luck but I think you’d have to sell the Daytona twice to get close to your numbers. But, doing that would land you in the slammer, so you better not do that. :'(

jmonroe

You mean $7500 for my daytona? Ha! Not a chance. There are folks out there looking specifically for a hemi orange Daytona. I obviously don’t know for sure, but I’d bet mine is in very limited company with its miles and condition.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

Here ya go. 12k fewer miles than mine. Seems to be in similar condition. Only $20k.
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/311770150

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

jmonroe

You mean $7500 for my daytona? Ha! Not a chance. There are folks out there looking specifically for a hemi orange Daytona. I obviously don’t know for sure, but I’d bet mine is in very limited company with its miles and condition.

Being serious about this; how much do you think the Daytona will fetch? Also, refresh me about what you paid for it.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,603
    that makes my little fledgling Maverick empire look like chump change.

I figure I can make a small profit on the flip, but probably not enough to cover the sales tax and doc fees to just sell it out. But, trading it in for something else could work!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Being serious about this; how much do you think the Daytona will fetch? Also, refresh me about what you paid for it.

jmonroe

All that matters is the here and now. I just checked Manheim and an “orange R/T” just crossed in NY. Had 72k miles but a very poor condition report. It fetched over $10k.

I honestly think 15 for mine is not crazy. And I would definitely put it on C&B.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,810
    qbrozen said:

I don’t have a problem with driving. Makes a lot of sense with a family as opposed to flying. And, heck, now with the cost of rentals being what they are, you can save a bundle bringing your own vehicle. But, ya know, then you might blow a radiator on the way home. Whoops.

We all still talk about our 2 weeks driving all over the western US as our best trip to date. So there is something to be said for showing the kids the sights across 4 states in relatively slow motion.

There certainly is! My children liked to complain a lot while we were on the road, but as they get older, many of the memories they bring up relate to the various trips we've done over the years.

Our kids are very well-traveled (by car) at this point. They've criss-crossed the continent several times in their short lives.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options

@qbrozen said:

jmonroe

All that matters is the here and now. I just checked Manheim and an “orange R/T” just crossed in NY. Had 72k miles but a very poor condition report. It fetched over $10k.

I honestly think 15 for mine is not crazy. And I would definitely put it on C&B.

So, when are you going to do it?

Jmonroe

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400

The problem with the car game is once I cash out, I have a brain block about investing it in another car. Now it’s savings and I feel compelled to put it in the market.

Otherwise I’d be arbitraging my way to a Rivian R1T.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

jmonroe

So, when are you going to do it?

Jmonroe

Gotta get through those other flips first, so it depends on when my orders come through. At this point, I’m hoping for the ram by Feb and the jeeps by March-April.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,711
    qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@qbrozen said:

jmonroe

Just make sure you put in the ad: “no low ballers, I know what I got”. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    congrats. I sat in one at the dealer a while back and it was nice (did not drive it though). Good job getting the ADM off. Hopefully a lot of dealers are just using that for trolling.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,351
    You need to add 'Brah' on the end. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    and make sure to only take pictures in the dark. crooked and out of focus. Preferably buried in a garage.

• Options
    I kinda like this one. Nice looking car, in just about my favorite color combo. Nothing fancy, but for a spare car that isn't going to the track, probably would do a great job. Seems pricey but these days, everything does, so maybe not all that bad with only 50K miles on it. Still very attractive, no crazy rubber band tires, etc. Really just looks like a supersized 3 series. Could do worse for less than what a new Elantra (base trim) is going for now!

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2016-bmw-5_series-528i_xdrive-used-wba5a7c57gg152262.html

and no pictures, but from the blurb (1 owner with records) even with the miles, this could be a really good winter beater/haul the junk and dogs around 2nd car. And anything decent now for less than 10K seems like some kind of bargain. though fatal flaw, seems to be before backup cameras (so might have to look at the wireless unit I found for Driver!) A barge like this needs one of those.

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2008-acura-mdx-4wd_4dr-used-2hnyd28258h546173.html

• Options

That 528 is going to be very pokey power wise.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,282

Agreed. And I love that color combo, but the wheels are a little too small for my liking.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited December 2021
    Don’t know if I mentioned this before but I put a refundable deposit down on a Hyundai
    Ioniq 5 for an eventual Prius replacement. This isn’t a commitment, rather first “dibs” rights. It looks to have a lot going for it. Problem is, with the current chip and other widespread supply problems, my dealer doesn’t have any idea when they’ll see them.
  • Options
    @stickguy - I'd definitely look into how integrated an aftermarket backup camera can get on that MDX. Not sure if you can replace the head unit with something with a color screen--I think that is after Acura went to the integrated dash. Also, they say all the regular scheduled maintenance has been performed, but I'd want to see either a sticker under the hood or an entry on the Carfax confirming that the timing belt was done.
  • Options

On something like a an mdx I would only do a stand alone system. Can’t swap out headunit on that.

5 series? I like 17” wheels with some sidewall. A bonus to me! And I doubt it’s any slower than our RDX.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,282

@28firefighter said:

I had a 528xi the body style before that one. It was an In-line 6. I put an intake from a 530 on it and the cable was already there to connect it up. It was not bad at all. Then a deer ran into the passenger front quarter panel right by the wheel. It did not end well for the deer - broken legs and a state trooper put it out of its misery.

• Options

When the 528 had a 6 it was better. Now it’s a turbo four and this is a big car for that.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,995
    I really like the color combination on that 5 series. When did BMW replace the 6 with a turbo 4?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    0-60 in 6.2, so not slow but not fast.
  • Options
    fast to me.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,385

@stickguy said:
    I kinda like this one. Nice looking car, in just about my favorite color combo. Nothing fancy, but for a spare car that isn't going to the track, probably would do a great job. Seems pricey but these days, everything does, so maybe not all that bad with only 50K miles on it. Still very attractive, no crazy rubber band tires, etc. Really just looks like a supersized 3 series. Could do worse for less than what a new Elantra (base trim) is going for now!

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2016-bmw-5_series-528i_xdrive-used-wba5a7c57gg152262.html

and no pictures, but from the blurb (1 owner with records) even with the miles, this could be a really good winter beater/haul the junk and dogs around 2nd car. And anything decent now for less than 10K seems like some kind of bargain. though fatal flaw, seems to be before backup cameras (so might have to look at the wireless unit I found for Driver!) A barge like this needs one of those.

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2008-acura-mdx-4wd_4dr-used-2hnyd28258h546173.html

If you like the 5er budget for 2-3 energy drinks per day to prevent falling asleep at the wheel.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,282

When the 528 had a 6 it was better. Now it’s a turbo four and this is a big car for that.

I can't stand the sound of the idling turbo 4. Singer sewing machine.
  • Options

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Talking to older son this morn. We kind of came to the conclusion that the '08 should stay with us. Formulated a possible Plan B: get the Coronet working over the winter and sell THAT instead of the Charger and, along with the flipping money, spend it on a '22 Challenger SP instead.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out a good color combo on one of those. I don't know why, but they allow gold guts with gold exterior on the Charger but not the Challenger. Oddly, it allows Hellraisin and gold guts. I'm really not sure how that would look in real life.

• Options
    Do you really need both a Charger and a Challenger in the fleet? Or do you tentatively plan to sell the Charger once the Challenger arrives?
  • Options
    To paraphrase Jim Mora,
    Need? We're talking about Need? You kidding me, Need? ;)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,947

@qbrozen said:
    Talking to older son this morn. We kind of came to the conclusion that the '08 should stay with us. Formulated a possible Plan B: get the Coronet working over the winter and sell THAT instead of the Charger and, along with the flipping money, spend it on a '22 Challenger SP instead.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out a good color combo on one of those. I don't know why, but they allow gold guts with gold exterior on the Charger but not the Challenger. Oddly, it allows Hellraisin and gold guts. I'm really not sure how that would look in real life.

I’ve seen an Army green that looks pretty good, but not sure if it’s a stock color or not.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    "Need" is a nebulous term.

and if you don't like the color, just wrap it.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    tjc78 said:

@qbrozen said:

I’ve seen an Army green that looks pretty good, but not sure if it’s a stock color or not.

Army green, ah, is an acquired taste IMHO 😐.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,947

@carnaught said:
    Army green, ah, is an acquired taste IMHO 😐.

Normally I’d never…. But for some reason I like it on the Charger/Challenger

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    I saw one in that color within the last week driving on the interstate. It looks
    good in that color.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Discount Tire to acquire Tire Rack

I hope they adopt TR's (superior) review and rating system.
  • Options
    I am guessing, sadly, that the top notch service from Tire Rack is about to take a nosedive.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I'm guessing that is F8 green you saw. It is pretty good, but not great. Just doesn't give me that retro vibe the car deserves.

And ... need? seriously? None of us needs anything other than a Prius or Minivan or maybe pickup.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I am guessing, sadly, that the top notch service from Tire Rack is about to take a nosedive.

I've received excellent customer service from Discount Tire, both online and in person.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,742
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

I've received excellent customer service from Discount Tire, both online and in person.
    Ditto.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    edited December 2021
    I expect the prices at Tire Rack to go up. It has always been my reference source for tire info and pricing.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

0-60 in 6.2, so not slow but not fast.

Even my wife's X1 is faster- so I vote s l o w...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    more than fast enough for any normal use.

• Options
    Normal is boring.

• Options
    well, doing 120 through the Target parking lot got me a lot of frowns and a few flashing lights, which I guess you could say is exciting.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,742
    And, not everybody has a get out of jail free card, like you do…

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4