Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I think this is the exact 2018 M2 that I almost bought this last March for $45k. Traded back to the same selling dealer.

2018 M2

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Geez

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Dang.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    breld said:

I think this is the exact 2018 M2 that I almost bought this last March for $45k. Traded back to the same selling dealer.

2018 M2

Who ever buys it has too much money. I’d like to give that buyer my account number.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited December 2021
    So I’m guessing the potential profit was to good to turn down or it was an uninformed purchase and they decided daily driving an M car was just too much. I think the latter happens pretty often.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    Fellow 4xe drivers, my rear mats from Weathertech just arrived and fit like a glove! Just in time for some hikes we have planned over the holidays too.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    breld said:

2018 M2

Lemon? Or just greedy?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

breld said:

2018 M2

Who ever buys it has too much money. I’d like to give that buyer my account number.

jmonroe
    Maybe it’s the Nigerian prince. I’m sure he’d like your account number.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Had some fun in the summer, took a windfall profit to unload it before winter hit.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited December 2021
    breld said:

2018 M2

Yeah. But compare it to a 718, and it still looks cheap relative to market competitors.

EDIT - also seeing 2020 Z4 m40i around $60k, with 10-15k miles. Lots of warranty. MSRP with a few options was probably $70K+. Which is a better deal?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    breld said:

2018 M2

And it's a year too old...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

breld said:

2018 M2

If it was a year newer, it would be $65k and up.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    tifighter said:

breld said:

2018 M2

If it was a year newer, it would be $65k and up.
    A few are in the low $60k range. Me, I want an M2C in Hockenheim Silver or Sunset Orange, three pedals, Exec Package, and no sunroof.
    A 2016-2018 M2 is much too similar to my M235i- the same(albeit boosted) engine and an identical interior.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    xwesx said:

So, in an act of perfect timing last night, an elderly lady drove her minivan into a ditch thinking, of all things, that it was a frontage road or something along those lines. What was clear by the tracks is that the driver intentionally went where she went before the van eventually became stuck. Of course, it was -40 last night, so that was not fun in the least!

She had family show up to help her out, and I'm not sure how long they were all there, but I stopped at around 1915 and finally got the van pulled back to level ground at 2000. For a while, I thought my fingers were going to fall off, but they got a second wind by the end of the experience. If another driver was going to try to test their luck that night, that would have been the perfect time for it because I felt ready to keep at it for another hour!

Anyway, I had the opportunity to meet some fantastic people, and the driver was back in action! I suggested that she save her adventurous spirit for days above zero. Her granddaughter told me, "You are a community hero!" :D

With all the “bad people” around, it is so nice to know there are many good people such as yourself. Kudos to you!

• Options
    edited December 2021
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

@qbrozen - you’d like an affordable AWD manual vehicle and you just now thought of the WRX? What else is there these days?

Sadly, new is the better way to go I would think as you mentioned. If the used market wasn’t so crazy there may be some other choices…340 or 440 xdrive?

Previous gen S4…those are reliable. 😀

Audi offered the A4 and A5 in a manual through 2018.

With all the profits you’re making on the flips, how about a new AWD M3? 👍

I honestly wasn't thinking new at all. I kept looking at classics from overseas. Was checking this out today, but, even at only 2400 lb, the thing is so slow per specs I found online. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3p6WXJnZ/1996-mitsubishi-lancer-mx-4wd
    Why not just get an American spec Mirage and tart it up to your satisfaction? I say get a similar year Eclipse but those have either been hacked up or are so pricey they aren’t worth it.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Saw a brand new Lexus SUV today in a stunning dark green color...it just took my breath away! Absolutely outstanding color but it just looked like it left the car wash. Think it was an NX which is a bit too long for my side of the garage. Just a stunning color in the bright sunlight. Then we saw a Acura with that red interior...again, absolutely stunning! I have no problem with a vehicle in the right shade and just love a different kind of interior color. Kind of wondering if the Lexus UX will be a contender, maybe even a CPO unit. As much as I'd like a CPO BMW X2, ain't gonna happen as I want to stay in Japan or Korea next go round. Think our days with a German vehicle are over.
    Did mention the new 2022 Corolla Cross to the wife at dinner tonight, as I got home where she met me in the garage and telling me she just didn't feel well, at all. Came right in, dropped my lunch pail in the kitchen & proceeded to wash my hands so I could get dinner started. She only has an hour during her dinner break, so had to work fast. Usually come in after a work day and proceed to do the first two things, then I sit in the recliner to catch my breath. But had to step in as she as unable to. But told her about the new Corolla Cross and I was waiting for an XLE unit in the right color combo and the JBL audio system, my major option I'd need to pull the trigger during the last week of 2021. But don't seem to be any units available in a decent color with the JBL here in South Florida. Another casualty of the chip shortage. She didn't shut me down or put up any resistance whatsoever! Had to check if I was in the right house!!!
    But she knows me, and knows this could take awhile. Hell, I couldn't decide on getting a new pair of polarized sunglasses from Dick's Sporting Goods. Went in a couple of times & found a few pairs I really liked but just couldn't make the move without coming home & checking how many pairs I've [non-permissible content removed] that are in excellent shape and no scratches. Found about 4 pairs and will look again on Thursday, my n/s day, just to make sure I don't have any put away. If no more are to be found, I'll just get them by weeks end as I doubt they'll have a sale on them before New Years Day.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Why not just get an American spec Mirage and tart it up to your satisfaction? I say get a similar year Eclipse but those have either been hacked up or are so pricey they aren’t worth it.

Good luck finding that drivetrain

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Picked my truck up last night after work. Oil change & tire rotation. Recall performed (Gasket around the 3rd brake light).

Front brakes are shot (down to 3mm). I figured they were going to tell me that. I've noticed a shudder lately. They want $524 plus tax (after $50.00 Coupon) for the job. I much prefer the $330 my mechanic quoted me. I'll be dropping it off at his place tomorrow AM.

The dealership noted the left rear shock is leaking. $294 plus tax. Must be a common problem as the parts are on backorder. I wonder if enough people have this issue that Toyota will issue a TSB or recall. Since I'm going to be getting rid of the truck sometime in the next few months, I'm going to hold out on the shocks.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

@nyccarguy said:
    Picked my truck up last night after work. Oil change & tire rotation. Recall performed (Gasket around the 3rd brake light).

Front brakes are shot (down to 3mm). I figured they were going to tell me that. I've noticed a shudder lately. They want $524 plus tax (after $50.00 Coupon) for the job. I much prefer the $330 my mechanic quoted me. I'll be dropping it off at his place tomorrow AM.

The dealership noted the left rear shock is leaking. $294 plus tax. Must be a common problem as the parts are on backorder. I wonder if enough people have this issue that Toyota will issue a TSB or recall. Since I'm going to be getting rid of the truck sometime in the next few months, I'm going to hold out on the shocks.

Hear me out on this:

You can save well over 200 bucks by replacing the pads yourself. I’m sure if you saw this done once from start to finish, unless your fingers operate like toes, you’d never take a car to a mechanic for this job ever again.

Ask our poster buddy @qbrozen to come over and show you how easy it really is. And ask him to come over with his new Mach e so you can test drive it after the job is done. I’ll bet a case of his favorite brew will get it done.

This job can be done in less than an hour and for me that convenience alone is why I don’t go to a shop for this.

Maybe because I’m coming from the school of changing drum brakes is why I think disc brakes are literally a snap. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try (under supervision the first time).

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

@Sandman6472 said:
    Saw a brand new Lexus SUV today in a stunning dark green color...it just took my breath away! Absolutely outstanding color but it just looked like it left the car wash. Think it was an NX which is a bit too long for my side of the garage. Just a stunning color in the bright sunlight. Then we saw a Acura with that red interior...again, absolutely stunning! I have no problem with a vehicle in the right shade and just love a different kind of interior color. Kind of wondering if the Lexus UX will be a contender, maybe even a CPO unit. As much as I'd like a CPO BMW X2, ain't gonna happen as I want to stay in Japan or Korea next go round. Think our days with a German vehicle are over.
    Did mention the new 2022 Corolla Cross to the wife at dinner tonight, as I got home where she met me in the garage and telling me she just didn't feel well, at all. Came right in, dropped my lunch pail in the kitchen & proceeded to wash my hands so I could get dinner started. She only has an hour during her dinner break, so had to work fast. Usually come in after a work day and proceed to do the first two things, then I sit in the recliner to catch my breath. But had to step in as she as unable to. But told her about the new Corolla Cross and I was waiting for an XLE unit in the right color combo and the JBL audio system, my major option I'd need to pull the trigger during the last week of 2021. But don't seem to be any units available in a decent color with the JBL here in South Florida. Another casualty of the chip shortage. She didn't shut me down or put up any resistance whatsoever! Had to check if I was in the right house!!!
    But she knows me, and knows this could take awhile. Hell, I couldn't decide on getting a new pair of polarized sunglasses from Dick's Sporting Goods. Went in a couple of times & found a few pairs I really liked but just couldn't make the move without coming home & checking how many pairs I've [non-permissible content removed] that are in excellent shape and no scratches. Found about 4 pairs and will look again on Thursday, my n/s day, just to make sure I don't have any put away. If no more are to be found, I'll just get them by weeks end as I doubt they'll have a sale on them before New Years Day.

I used to only buy RayBan or other expensive sunglasses. I always lose them. Now I buy $15-$20 pairs on Amazon. They look just like the expensive pairs and I don’t feel guilty if I ruin them on the beach or lose them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    I rarely wear sunglasses. Now I actually have clip ons in the car. For the rare time I use them. Much cheaper than buying expensive prescription glasses since I don’t wear contacts.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I used to only buy RayBan or other expensive sunglasses. I always lose them. Now I buy $15-$20 pairs on Amazon. They look just like the expensive pairs and I don’t feel guilty if I ruin them on the beach or lose them.

$15-$20? Way to flex, Bill Gates. Geesh!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    edited December 2021

Out today and had a dual spotting. Ford dealer still has almost zero new vehicle inventory but has a Metallic Orange Maverick out front, my first sighting, not bad. Then saw my first Santa Cruz at the Hyundai dealer. That thing looks surprisingly large, almost Ridgeline-size.

In the Hyundai service lounge which is also used by the detail shop where my car is. Surprisingly busy. Lots of people getting the knock sensor recall done from what I’m overhearing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited December 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

Hear me out on this:

You can save well over 200 bucks by replacing the pads yourself. I’m sure if you saw this done once from start to finish, unless your fingers operate like toes, you’d never take a car to a mechanic for this job ever again.

Ask our poster buddy @qbrozen to come over and show you how easy it really is. And ask him to come over with his new Mach e so you can test drive it after the job is done. I’ll bet a case of his favorite brew will get it done.

This job can be done in less than an hour and for me that convenience alone is why I don’t go to a shop for this.

Maybe because I’m coming from the school of changing drum brakes is why I think disc brakes are literally a snap. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try (under supervision the first time).

jmonroe

I'll start by saying... I am typically in full agreement with this.

I'm not sure what his mechanic quoted him (pads only or rotors + pads), but the fact that he is noticing a shudder while braking tells me that he should probably be replacing the front rotors along with the pads. If this is the case, $330 for the job done at a shop is actually pretty good. I would expect the parts alone to be north of $200 (two rotors + a set of pads) - even my Subarus would be - so the 90 minutes he would surely spend on the work, not to mention running around collecting what he would need, probably means it isn't necessarily worth the time in this case.

For the $500+ the dealer wants, well, okay, I'd say go for it. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @jmonroe1,
    The Tacoma has rear drum brakes, so you knowledge is still relevant. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    xwesx said:

jmonroe1 said:

Hear me out on this:

jmonroe

I'm not sure what his mechanic quoted him (pads only or rotors + pads), but the fact that he is noticing a shudder while braking tells me that he should probably be replacing the front rotors along with the pads. If this is the case, $330 for the job done at a shop is actually pretty good. I would expect the parts alone to be north of $200 (two rotors + a set of pads) - even my Subarus would be - so the 90 minutes he would surely spend on the work, not to mention running around collecting what he would need, probably means it isn't necessarily worth the time in this case.

$330 is for front brake pads & rotors. The Tacoma has rear drums.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

@xwesx said:

I agree that when you throw in rotors too the price goes up. I haven’t had this done in a long time but if the rotors have enough meat on them (might not be the case anymore today) the auto parts used to charge around 15 bucks each to turn them.

In any case the education won’t hurt since you won’t always need rotors. But even if you do they practically fall off when you take the caliper off to replace the pads. So there is no real labor involved in doing this. Replacing rotors is essentially free labor once the caliper is off.

I didn’t say all that for your benefit because I know you know that but a rookie might not know that.

jmonroe

• Options

@nyccarguy said:
    $330 is for front brake pads & rotors. The Tacoma has rear drums.

I was writing my post when you posted your reply. I’d say 2 rotors will probably be around $120 and a decent set of pads like Wagner Thermo Quiet would be less than $70. So, for the sake of convenience alone, I would wrench them on myself.

Like @xwesx said, 90 minutes and your done. AND you could brag about being a smarty-pants like us

jmonroe

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    edited December 2021
    I did front pads once and that was enough. Just jacking up the car and taking off the wheel made me question my choice. Then having to buy the right kind of star socket wrench attachment and caliper piston compressing tool ate up a bit more of the savings, as did having to buy new rubber o-rings and the attendant lube for the sliders. I leave it to the techs now.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited December 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

I was writing my post when you posted your reply. I’d say 2 rotors will probably be around $120 and a decent set of pads like Wagner Thermo Quiet would be less than $70. So, for the sake of convenience alone, I would wrench them on myself.

Like @xwesx said, 90 minutes and your done. AND you could brag about being a smarty-pants like us

jmonroe

True! However, a famous man once said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Yeah, but then you'd be like them, and no amount of bragging would help you." ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I helped my friend change the rotors and pads on my ZHP. When I say help I mean I handed him tools, drank a beer and cooked us some steaks.

• Options

@au1994 said:
    I helped my friend change the rotors and pads on my ZHP. When I say help I mean I handed him tools, drank a beer and cooked us some steaks.

Well, I have to admit there ain’t been a brake pad made that tastes as good as a steak and a beer.

jmonroe

• Options
    I’m with AB here. Maybe with a lift and all the tools. None of which I have. Not saving enough on the labor to want to worry about screwing something up.

Now interior house painting, that I do because it isn’t complicated, no risk of screwing it up and causing a wreck, and I save many $1,000s doing it.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@au1994 said:

Well, I have to admit there ain’t been a brake pad made that tastes as good as a steak and a beer.

jmonroe

To quote Harry Callahan “A man’s got to know his limitations”

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited December 2021
    I once changed the front pads on a minivan (this was ~15 years ago) in the parking lot of a time share near Winter Park, CO. Got the pads at the local CarQuest in Granby, and all was well -- took maybe 45 minutes and the car's jack.

WMMV. I now know better than to say much more.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

@qbrozen said:
    $15-$20? Way to flex, Bill Gates. Geesh!

Lol, how much cheaper can you go for
    Polarized?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@tifighter said:
    Never underestimate this group's ability to be cheap.

I wouldn’t say I was cheap but I’m guilty of not wanting to waste my time by letting a garage change my brake pads. Shoot me.

jmonroe

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    tifighter said:

Never underestimate this group's ability to be cheap.

It takes a lot of saving on a lot of small things to pay for big-ticket items like cars.
  • Options

@cdnpinhead said:
    I once changed the front pads on a minivan (this was ~15 years ago) in the parking lot of a time share near Winter Park, CO. Got the pads at the local CarQuest in Granby, and all was well -- took maybe 45 minutes and the car's jack.

Yeah, save your breath. This place seems to have a bunch of wousses yet they call themselves car guys. B)

jmonroe

• Options

@ab348 said:
    I did front pads once and that was enough. Just jacking up the car and taking off the wheel made me question my choice. Then having to buy the right kind of star socket wrench attachment and caliper piston compressing tool ate up a bit more of the savings, as did having to buy new rubber o-rings and the attendant lube for the sliders. I leave it to the techs now.

FWIW, you don’t NEED a caliper piston compressing tool, although I have one. Pretty expensive, cost me about $3.95 years ago. All you need is one of the old worn out pads and a c-clamp and it works just as well.

As for the rubber o-rings and lube, I doubt a garage is replacing them unless they buy a caliper kit which most don’t for a quick hang and drop brake pad job. Hopefully they have a tube of lube for the original o-rings but I wouldn’t bet on it being used because it takes about 5 minutes to apply it and even if they use it they might not do it right.

Case in point. Years ago when I was in a garage having a state safety inspection done I saw the grease monkey doing a lube of the caliper o-rings on the car on the rack next to my car. He applied some lube alright but his hands were caked with dirt from doing the brake job, So he was mixing in dirt with the lube from the tube. IMO it would have been better if he didn’t lube the o-rings.

I guess what the owners don’t know won’t hurt them.

jmonroe

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

I remember changing the transmission in my old Chevy (more than once); lying on my back in the alley with the front wheels jacked up. Changing the clutch. Doing brakes. New plugs and points and setting the timing by ear. Starting the car using a screwdriver to jump the solenoid.

Probably many more things I'm not thinking of right now.

All things you do when you are a poor high school/college kid.

Now - I barely wash it by hand anymore. It's nicer when you can pay someone to do things. Maybe not as satisfying,

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    ab348 said:

That's all crazy talk. I've done dozens of brake jobs with no special tools and without lubing a darned thing. My favorite tool I own is a monster pair of channel locks. They've never failed to compress a piston. Well... wait, that's not entirely true. There are those weird pistons out there that twist, such as on our late T&C. Those take a few extra mins when using a pair of curved needle-nose pliers.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Lol, how much cheaper can you go for

Polarized?

Polarized? What's that? Some fancy French brand? ;b

• Options

Here’s a brake job story that Son #1 told me years ago. This was a few months after he was married and moved into his first house in the Summer of 2000.

One of his wife’s younger twin brothers came to visit from out of town one long weekend. Probably the July 4 th weekend. As they were finishing breakfast one Saturday morning, my Son excused himself saying, “before we go to the museum in a couple hours I want to do a brake job on her car. You guys get ready and when I’m done I’ll take a shower and we can leave.” As he’s walking down the steps he heard his BIL say to his wife, “Is he serious. Is he really going to do a brake job on your car?” My DIL assured him he was serous and said, “I watched him do this on his car when we were dating. It’ll be alright”.

When my son was finished and came upstairs to take a shower his BIL being concerned for his sister said, “do you really think it’s safe to do a brake job on my sisters car? You do know that brakes are the only things stopping a car don’t you?” My Son replied, “that’s EXACTLY why I do it. I know it’ll be done right and I’ll know what quality brake pads are used and what caliper kit is used in addition to knowing that the lug nuts aren’t on too lose or too tight”.

Where the hell did he learn that last thing?

jmonroe

• Options
    That's a great story, jmonroe!

-------------------

Knowing me, I shared this already, but that story got me to thinking about it.....

A few years back, I was visiting my mother and her husband. She took me into town to run a couple of errands, and she drove his "work truck," which was 2007 RWD Silverado. The first time she hit the brakes to slow off the freeway, I thought the truck was coming apart! The thing was shaking so badly in the front end, it truly scared me to be in it.

She said, "Hahah, yeah, we need to get it looked at, but it still stops just fine, so we keep putting it off." Me, being literally scared about the condition of those brakes, snuck off to a NAPA store a little way down from where she was stopped for her errand, and I bought a new set of rotors and pads for it (about $160 for that vehicle, which was surprisingly cheap to me, even though they were the top-end units the store had in stock).

Unbeknownst to either of them, when they left the next day for a few hours, I talked my brother into accompanying me to replace the brakes. And, given the overall maintenance level on the truck and lack of familiarity with where various tools were hiding, it was a difficult job. However, about three hours later we had it all buttoned up and I took it out for a test run to seat the pads. All was good, so I thanked my brother and neither of us said a word about it.

The next day, he (my... stepdad? Feels weird to say that since I married before they did!) comes into the house a few minutes after leaving and says, "Hey, did you do something to my truck?!" I said, "well, that depends. If you're pleased with the change, then, yes, I did." I swear he just about broke down in tears (of joy). He couldn't believe that I would do something like that, and he kept insisting on paying me back. I had to tell him a dozen times (not exaggerating) that if he did, then it would really take a lot of the pleasure of doing it out of the equation. He finally relented, but I'm sure he's managed to "pay me back" as the years have continued.