Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,976
    That blueish/green liquid on the floor came back again after a few days so think we'll give it a few days. No lights have come on and it drives like normal. Mechanic told us to just monitor the situation so that's what we're doing. Not happy to be honest but in the current times, best we can do. Just wish this chip situation will end sooner than later so we can all move on as I think we'll both be serious about replacing the current fleet with "cheap to keep" vehicles.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    OF, just wondering if you got your profit sharing check into your 401K account? I did with the last paycheck so assuming you got yours to. A co-worker told me that it depends on the length of time we've all been at Enterprise which determines how much we each get. Guess it makes sense. Guessing it was a good year financially for the company but have no idea what the others got. Since I've never gotten any profit sharing before, I'm happy with whatever I got!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    dad23 said:
    About $25k over MSRP.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 873
    breld said:

dad23 said:
    About $25k over MSRP.
    Interesting, I see a few here that are in that range, $25k underpriced according to CarFax!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,683
    Sandy, monitoring your puddle is free. That’s definitely cheap keeping!

What exactly is blocking your side of the garage? Just the hot water tank? If so, just replace it with a tankless one mounted on the wall, free up all the space, and get whatever car you want.

YOLO!

And if you love the Corolla, just tell them to increase your trade value by $6,200 also. Remember, the only difference, is the difference!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,637

@sda said:
    Longer post

On Monday I was afraid I might be suddenly in the market to buy another car. My daughter had a broken hearted Valentine's day. After taking lunch to her boyfriend at his workplace, she partially ran a STOP sign, she did stop but the front of the car poked out too far and bumped a passing car. No injuries other than pride. A panic call to her mom. We asked if she was OK, yes, but the car was destroyed. Front bumper essentially ripped off. Yikes. Being somewhat positive and good Boy Scout I took heavy duty duct tape and a utility knife with me. When I got there I noticed no damage to the hood, fenders, headlights, a/c condensor, radiator. Just a mess. I was able lift what remained of the bumper, click it partially in the clips to secure it. All of the plastic plug fasteners used to hold the bumper popped off. She was able to drive it home. I took it yesterday to get a damage estimate. The bumper cover and all associated fasteners needed, but otherwise all ok. Estimate of $1100. My daughter was lucky she didn't receive a ticket and the police that helped her were great. I am not looking forward to the increase in our insurance premium! To boot, I just had the car serviced and a new battery installed last Saturday! We have to wait until 2/25 to take the car in to be repaired and then 3-4 days for the repair. This was her first real incident in almost 4 years.

I missed this part earlier.

So, what were some of her NOT real incidents?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    dad23 said:

breld said:

dad23 said:
    About $25k over MSRP.
    Interesting, I see a few here that are in that range, $25k underpriced according to CarFax!
    Yeah, pricing on pretty much any Bronco sitting on a lot tends to be nuts. That's how this whole thing started for us - @michaell and I were browsing a Carmax lot that had two of them, priced upwards of $80-90k. I knew that was a considerable markup, but that prompted my wife and I to look up the actual MSRP and that's when we discovered these things start in the $30k's.

That Black Diamond model in the listing you posted is identical to what we have on order, other than it being 4 doors vs. our 2 door. And the sticker on ours is $38k.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,385
    That Bronco is not at a Ford Dealer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 873
    edited February 2022

That Bronco is not at a Ford Dealer.

You're right @explorerx4, it's a local broker. I'm just wondering if they ordered it, it was taken in on trade or possibly a consignment vehicle.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    edited February 2022
    https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/502?csref=CRM_MX_PRRE_InsideRings_20220216_NA_Lapsed Owners_SMB_Q1February_NA_20#gallery

I really like the blue, the red, and the green. Wonderful colors; why only in a limited edition run Audi?

And why in a limited edition run did you have to include boring white and old man gray/silver?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611
    That TC ended up at a little over $13K. And it's going to the Netherlands...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,913
    stickguy said:

Sandy, monitoring your puddle is free. That’s definitely cheap keeping!

What exactly is blocking your side of the garage? Just the hot water tank? If so, just replace it with a tankless one mounted on the wall, free up all the space, and get whatever car you want.

YOLO!

And if you love the Corolla, just tell them to increase your trade value by $6,200 also. Remember, the only difference, is the difference!

It would be great to see what's in the way. A picture maybe?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Story in the Houston Chronicle today, probably behind a paywall:
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Instead-of-buyers-auto-dealers-are-scouring-the-16926182.php

But higher prices have allowed car dealers to make more money as they sell fewer cars. Houston-based Group 1 Automotive reported earlier this month that it nearly doubled its annual profit to a record $552 million last year from $286 million, even as the volume of new car sales fell 3.5 percent. Revenues jumped 27 percent to $13.5 billion from $10.6 billion in 2020.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    they are probably very happy to have cut way back on salespeople they need to pay.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    edited February 2022
    @jmonroe1 Other than curbing a wheel which required a replacement rim, my daughter has been driving 4 years and until last Monday hasn’t been in an accident. No tickets yet. I think that’s pretty good.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,743
    edited February 2022

OF, just wondering if you got your profit sharing check into your 401K account? I did with the last paycheck so assuming you got yours to. A co-worker told me that it depends on the length of time we've all been at Enterprise which determines how much we each get. Guess it makes sense. Guessing it was a good year financially for the company but have no idea what the others got. Since I've never gotten any profit sharing before, I'm happy with whatever I got!!

Did I ever. It came in at almost 10% of gross! That’s about 51/2 times what we got last year and nearly double my best previous PS.

If I understand it right, it’s determined by a percentage of last year’s gross income so in this case if you worked 1000 hours in 2021 and made $10k you’d get about $990+-. In talking to coworkers who have a lot more seniority than me, longevity doesn’t enter into the calculation. It’s simply a portion of company profit divided by the number of employees. Since not all the employees laid-off in the 2020 bloodbath were rehired the available pot of money was divided among a smaller pool of people.

I still can’t believe that we get all these benefits for a job where you get paid to sleep in the back of a van half the time. :D with the company 401k match we get an extra 12% on our salary.

Time to go car shopping.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    We have the hot water heater and the air handler for our a/c unit in front of where I park. Relocating any of that stuff would be quite costly & since prefer a smaller vehicle anyways, I just look for vehicles that will fit in the space without leaving much room. Really has never been an issue choosing what to buy but each vehicle I consider has to be driven to the house for the ultimate test and so far, no dealer has refused us here. I tell them up front about my size constraint and has never been an issue. The Ford Escape was just too close of a fit even though the sales guy disagreed. The VW Jetta was just too long, so we went back and got the Golf which fit like a glove. I know the Kona will fit. My kids Accent fits nicely though I think the Elantra will be close. Confident the Corolla Cross will have no issue either but we shall see in time.
    On another note, just got home from BJ's as the A3 needed petrol and it really is a nice vehicle, I don't get to drive it much but I sure like it. Saw a new 2022 A3 in white at work yesterday and really liked the changes Audi made to it. The new alloys are really sharp and the dash is outstanding. The infotainment system is nicely integrated into the dash and no more of the goofy screen that pops up from the top of the dash. Have always hated that. Not sure if they still kept the controls down on the console like the Mazda3 does but it's simply an awful design...the feature I most hate about her A3. It's really ludicrous to have it down there and could be a potential safety hazard. Just hope they fixed this faux pas with the 2022 refresh!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,966

Your garage must be a little smaller than mine. On the side with the steps (3 standard front facing) my wife’s XC90 fits with enough room to still walk up the steps. My S60 fits with ease.

If it was only the water tank.. I’d say go tankless but moving the air handler is a big deal. They make units that can go sideways and hung, if you ever need to swap it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    longest vehicle I ever had in the garage was actually the Odyssey (a couple inches longer than the Maverick). But that was on the right (the wife's side) and the door into the house is in front of that so nothing deep on the wall on that side. It fit with plenty of room to get around the front (the RDX has tons of extra space).

the Maverick lives on "my" side (left). there are a couple of deeper (20") shelves in front of it, and in the center is the spare fridge. Also have my rolling wash bucket cart in front of the shelves and my power washer. But, still enough space to clear the garage door by a few inches, an easily walk in front of truck. I just have to stop exactly on my mark on the side wall! Biggest hassle is actually the fridge door. That swings open from the left (handle left, hinge right as you look at it) so barely clears my bumper. You have to work the logistics right to be able to open the door, and get at the fridge. Really should just reverse it, but that sounds like a lot of work!

• Options
    Got some kind of recall notice in the mail for the Golf last week, some kind of trim ring around the shifter will be replaced gratis, so made an appointment for next Thursday to have it done. Says it will take about an hour so will just wait around. Like to see what stuff they have in the used department and now, my dealer also has added Volvo & Mitsubishi at this location. Fun to walk around and see what they have. Am also going to try & see if I can bring home a Corolla Cross for the garage test if the local store has one I can try. I'm super curious myself to be honest and a god day to see. Betting if they have the model, color and options I want, and if they take off their ridiculous ADM fee, if they match their inflated price by giving my trade the same inflated amount, it could be a wash and a deal might get done. Charge me $500 over your normal price but give me that same $500 over on my trade, and it's kind of like a wash. They move a unit and I get myself something new, seems like a plan to me.
    So, we'll just have to see how things play out. No real reason to do anything yet as am also curious about the new Honda HR-V also coming out later sometime in 2022. It's just that I'm finally ready to let the Golf go and enjoy something new. That's taken a long time to happen as must say, the Golf has been my most enjoyable vehicle to date but don't want to deal with anymore issues honestly. Besides dong another oil change, really don't want to sink anymore money into it to be honest. Come December, it'll be 8 years since we bought both vehicles, which is kind of average for us. As much as I think about it, leasing just isn't for us, our miles each year are really just too low. Just finally at that point where for the right vehicle, I'd give up the Golf. And for me, that's a major step! And I'm making a vow here to not get too much "analysis paralysis" as I've been accused of. It really is a major waste of time but up to now, making a major financial investment usually involves some "analysis paralysis" and it really is unnecessary honestly. I'm over it!!

• Options
    edited February 2022
    @qbrozen,
    How does this fit in with the Sprinter?
    I would drive the Benz and set the seat to my position then pull the fuse that controls the seats.
    Problem solved next time she goes to drive it. ;)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,984
    She'd probably take it to the dealer to get fixed if I didn't fix it. lol.

She is of the opinion the Sprinter needs a dinghy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I saw a Sprinter the other day and damn, that's some big vehicle! Is she really wanting to drive something that big as her d d? I've seen many ladies getting out of these large SUV's so guess they must not have a problem with the large size. Guess we're different as we both prefer smaller vehicles as our d d's and that's what we own. Going to be interesting as in the not to distant future, either one or both of us are going to switch out of our current vehicles and not totally sure into what. I kind of already know what I'm going to end up with but for her, have no clue. Doubt she'll get another Audi and honestly think she'll also go back to either Korean or Japanese like myself. Our one daughter is on her second Hyundai with the first only having one issue in the eleven years she owned it. Was pretty flawless except for things everyone needs every few years...tires & batteries. If that idiot hadn't hit her a couple years back, bet she'd still have it. Her current Hyundai is just over two years old and we hit 10K in it on Monday morning. But we all don't really drive that much since the pandemic started and now, we mostly work very close to our jobs. I've been averaging just about 3K/year.

• Options
    just let her drive the thing after you spent all this time getting it sorted out. Will only be until she gets tired of it or it strands her, whichever comes first. So should not take all that long! And if it breaks hopefully just one easy repair (that you will of course blow up into something major!)

Has she really spent time with it? I assume it is missing creature comforts that she is used to. Good navi? Carplay? Bluetooth? Must be something modern that old thing doesn't have!

• Options
    qbrozen said:

so the Sprinter is going to just sit in the driveway between trips to SC, unless she needs to transport a sports team or something?

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    edited February 2022
    qbrozen said:

I finally popped the hood of the Benz to take a poke around. Spraying some carb cleaner around to see if I could find any leaks. Touching things with a concerned look on my face. That sort of car-guy stuff, ya know?

You had me laughing out loud. :D

That popping dipstick sounds like excess crankcase pressure. It might just be a clogged vacuum line or sticking PCV valve. Granted, that's for when it pops again or you get another light, but just throwing them out there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    tapping on parts and giving them a jiggle is my primary diagnostic tool.

• Options
    qbrozen,
    Nothing beats a matching dinghy!
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

so the Sprinter is going to just sit in the driveway between trips to SC, unless she needs to transport a sports team or something?
    I’m sure there are plenty of hotels that would welcome some additional shuttle bus capacity.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,290
    edited February 2022
    @qbrozen - nice looking low mileage V70. It's right in my backyard, let me know if you want me to take a look at it. The color looks similar to the 2002 S80 my parents used to have.

Those cars shared a lot of interior bits, and although our seats held up okay, I was not impressed with the way that the coating chipped off of the lower dash. It looked like dirt, so I scraped it with my nail, only to be rewarded with even more of the coating chipping off. The coating was ivory, and whatever was under it was a dark grey, so not very subtle.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,222
    Just for kicks got offers for the wagon from Carvana and Vroom today. 53K and 56K respectively, the former having fallen maybe 3K since I checked last. 6 weeks left in the lease, residual is 45K.
  • Options

@xwesx said:

That popping dipstick sounds like excess crankcase pressure. It might just be a clogged vacuum line or sticking PCV valve. Granted, that's for when it pops again or you get another light, but just throwing them out there.

Yup. But PCV was replaced. I’ve read of others fixing the issue by replacing with this upgraded dipstick. And since it didn’t pop out during my test drive, I’m thinking it is not serious. It does fit very loosely.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@stickguy said:

Sounds like it.
    Who am I to judge?
    AWD diesel? I may like driving it more than her!

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@xwesx said:

Yup. But PCV was replaced. I’ve read of others fixing the issue by replacing with this upgraded dipstick. And since it didn’t pop out during my test drive, I’m thinking it is not serious. It does fit very loosely.

sounds like another job for duct tape!

• Options
    Volvo wagon looks nice. Kinda old man colors though (hey, I am qualified to know!) And those are pretty dated at this point tech wise.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    @stickguy - IIRC, those had a timing belt, which is a negative. No backup camera, and Volvo was late in making stability control standard, so not sure whether that one is likely to have it. But, it should be a nice driver, if it was well maintained.
  • Options
    great seats of course. and at least it was from the era when you still had a view out. Low beltline, and huge rear window. Yes, timing belt so unless it has a sticker budget that job. Plus an assortment of other basics like a PCV system.

• Options
    I think Honda/Acura are the only makes I trust to only need a timing belt. VW definitely needs a tensioner, even though VW officially says only the belt needs to be replaced.
  • Options

@sda said:
    @jmonroe1 Other than curbing a wheel which required a replacement rim, my daughter has been driving 4 years and until last Monday hasn’t been in an accident. No tickets yet. I think that’s pretty good.

No tickets is good. I remember my Father having only 3 rules for me when I got my license:

(1) Don’t get into any accidents.

(2) Don’t get any tickets.

(3) If you’re not in bed by midnight, come on home.

I past all 3 with flying colors.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

@corvette said:
    @stickguy - IIRC, those had a timing belt, which is a negative. No backup camera, and Volvo was late in making stability control standard, so not sure whether that one is likely to have it. But, it should be a nice driver, if it was well maintained.

Carfax shows tbelt done in 2019.

Oh, and, @stickguy , you had asked me about the benz tech. It has backup cam, bluetooth, and heated and cooled seats. That’s enough.

• Options
    pretty fancy for 2007. But I guess MB tended to be early adopters on new tech.

keep it. sounds nice!

• Options

@tjc78 said:
    Your garage must be a little smaller than mine. On the side with the steps (3 standard front facing) my wife’s XC90 fits with enough room to still walk up the steps. My S60 fits with ease.

If it was only the water tank.. I’d say go tankless but moving the air handler is a big deal. They make units that can go sideways and hung, if you ever need to swap it.

I think it’s time to draw straws to see who get the shorty side for say the next 4 years. Something like our democratic society voting every 4 years. No one should have to live under dictatorship rules in our country.

jmonroe

• Options
    corvette said:

I think Honda/Acura are the only makes I trust to only need a timing belt. VW definitely needs a tensioner, even though VW officially says only the belt needs to be replaced.

I'm a big "while you are in there" proponent. and "parts are cheaper than labor". Put the 2 together, and on a major time consuming job like that, I am replacing every relatively cheap part or seal that either has to come off anyway, or can be replace in a couple of extra minutes. Tensioners, cam seal, whatever is in there. And of course the water pump (still can't believe some people reuse those). getting to any of those bits is such a pain I don't want to pay the labor twice!