Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,568
    qbrozen said:

Car is now listed on ebay, too. Not an auction, just an ad.

I've also offered up the Pajero to the driver who brought it here and said he wanted it. Gave him the "quick sale, as is" price. No response yet. Gotta go pick up my son's car tomorrow (if I'm up to it), so need to make some room around here.

————————————————
    That sounds like you need to get rid of a few rooms and add on to the driveway.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Always room to build another garage!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    edited December 2022
    I have someone putting a bid together for a garage.
    Also just signed off on a shed.
    The shed is for the plow, lawn mower, motorcycles, and bikes.
    Garage I've requested is 24 x 40, so basically an oversized 4-car setup. Although, in reality, it will be 2 cars, a workspace, and a Sprinter. I could grow that with lifts. But I'm already turning the attached 3-car into a 5-car with a couple of lifts. At least, that's the plan. So, for those keeping score, enough space for, theoretically, 8 cars plus a Sprinter indoors. My driveway has been comfortably fitting 9, but the wife gets antsy when it exceeds 4-5.

Forgive my rudimentary layout, but I don't have a ton of free time. Here is the proposed build and location. The small shed there now will go away. The new larger shed is going at the back of the property out of the way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    If possible, I would go with wider doors on your garage, say 9 footers. You won't regret it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    qbrozen said:

I have someone putting a bid together for a garage.
    Also just signed off on a shed.
    The shed is for the plow, lawn mower, motorcycles, and bikes.
    Garage I've requested is 24 x 40, so basically an oversized 4-car setup. Although, in reality, it will be 2 cars, a workspace, and a Sprinter. I could grow that with lifts. But I'm already turning the attached 3-car into a 5-car with a couple of lifts. At least, that's the plan. So, for those keeping score, enough space for, theoretically, 8 cars plus a Sprinter indoors. My driveway has been comfortably fitting 9, but the wife gets antsy when it exceeds 4-5.

Forgive my rudimentary layout, but I don't have a ton of free time. Here is the proposed build and location. The small shed there now will go away. The new larger shed is going at the back of the property out of the way.

————————————————
    Allow me to make a suggestion. If you are dead set on having 2 doors vs. one, I’d make each door 9 feet wide not 8. Having 8 foot doors is just too skinny for my taste. That’s just asking for passenger side mirrors to get whacked. Don’t ask me how I know. Although Mrs. j has whacked a few on our double wide 16 foot door we have now.

When we built our house in SC in ‘92, I wanted a 20 foot wide door but my builder said that would put me into a commercial door which brought with it more construction considerations one being a 2 foot higher door which I didn’t think looked good for the proportions of the house. So I settled for an 18 footer with the standard height. The 2 cars we had fell into that opening with no mishaps.

Your welcome.

EDIT: While I was typing my post @explorerx4 beat me to it. So, we must be right.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    haha. Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I originally had that but then thought "hmmm, the sprinter is 80" wide, so why would I need more than 96" clearance?" Probably wouldn't affect much to have 2' between the doors rather than 4. Just to be safe.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

Could be the owner of that 240 is color blind.

Seriously.

Red and green look grey to them, I’m told.

I am 50% color blind, and my color choices sometimes dismay other people. But being who I am, I usually don't care very much.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    I'm Red/Blue/Green colorblind - but I definitely don't see them as gray. It is my son's favorite game to play with me - "Daddy, what color is this? HAHA you're WRONG!"
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I have a walkout lower level, and one of the best things I've done is put in a 42" walkout door (vs. 36). Even though you've got those big garage doors, it's amazing how much easier it is to get things in and out of a 42" door.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    I had 8 1/2 ft wide doors at my previous house. I could pull a full size truck/SUV into the garage without folding in the mirrors.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    henryn said:

Michaell said:

Could be the owner of that 240 is color blind.

Seriously.

Red and green look grey to them, I’m told.

I am 50% color blind, and my color choices sometimes dismay other people. But being who I am, I usually don't care very much.
    ————————————————
    Do you do everything half way? :p

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

I have a walkout lower level, and one of the best things I've done is put in a 42" walkout door (vs. 36). Even though you've got those big garage doors, it's amazing how much easier it is to get things in and out of a 42" door.

————————————————-
    I guess you mean a 42 inch door vs. a 36 inch door. But lifting the garage door is easier than any man door. However, in the dead of winter any man door keeps the garage warmer than having to lift a garage door.

I don’t have a man door but I have installed a discharge vent in the garage (I know this is against code) but it is nice when I’m working in the garage in the Winter or Summer. To prevent losing heat or AC when working in there and Mrs. j is out shopping, I pull the plug to the opener. Even though I tell her I’m doing this she still forgets and I hear about it when the door doesn’t open when she gets home. I’ll put up with that rather than lose heat or AC in a flash when a 16 foot door opens because she forgot. That only had to happen once. I ain’t a total dope, ya know. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I agree about the wider doors. remember, quoted car widths are always without the mirrors.

and the space between the doors does not mean anything, since the floorspace and distance between the cars will be the same. just more clearance (Clarence) for getting in and out without whacking a mirror.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    qbrozen said:

haha. Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I originally had that but then thought "hmmm, the sprinter is 80" wide, so why would I need more than 96" clearance?" Probably wouldn't affect much to have 2' between the doors rather than 4. Just to be safe.

That's what I did with mine, Q. The center section is basically just a big post (18" wide post) 9' wide doors, and about 30" of wall along each side. Highly recommended with the 9' width.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    stickguy said:

I agree about the wider doors. remember, quoted car widths are always without the mirrors.

and the space between the doors does not mean anything, since the floorspace and distance between the cars will be the same. just more clearance (Clarence) for getting in and out without whacking a mirror.

Don’t want to be Under on your clearance. Oveur.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Put an indoor car wash station in that new garage - that's my dream frivolity.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    Why not just turn the building sideways and put an airplane hanger door in there?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-
    Just for your info, that web site doesn’t work. :o

jmonroe

So, a site named "notgonnahappen.com" should
    have told you in advance that it was notgonnawork.lol

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Discount Tire called - 3 of my tires arrived, but the carrier seems to have "misplaced" the 4th. I have questions, but I'm going to let it go.
  • Options

Discount Tire called - 3 of my tires arrived, but the carrier seems to have "misplaced" the 4th. I have questions, but I'm going to let it go.

Funny..

When I ordered the tires for my wife's X3, Discount Tire told me a couple of days. When I hadn't heard from him after five days, I called.

He said: Our records show we only got three of them, and we're waiting on the fourth. But, I want to go put an eyeball on them. Sometimes, when the last ones come in, they don't update the order.
    Five minutes later: Yep, it came in. We have all four of them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Funny..

When I ordered the tires for my wife's X3, Discount Tire told me a couple of days. When I hadn't heard from him after five days, I called.

He said: Our records show we only got three of them, and we're waiting on the fourth. But, I want to go put an eyeball on them. Sometimes, when the last ones come in, they don't update the order.
    Five minutes later: Yep, it came in. We have all four of them.

I ordered tires from a local chain store once. They required payment up front since it was a special order. They said they would call me when they came in. After not hearing back after 10 days I called and was told “Yeah, those came in last week, we were waiting to hear from you”.

Huh?

I found out later that this was the same shop that dropped my BIL’s car off the lift.

No, I won’t be buying tires from them again.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    To be fair... I love Discount Tire..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411
    kyfdx said:

+1

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdx said:

+2
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    henryn said:

kyfdx said:

+2
    +3 good prices, great service. I’m shocked at how quickly they can have you in an out if you have an appointment.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    I just have Tire Rack send the tires to my BMW dealer of my indie shop.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Apparently it's not so easy so easy as one might have expected.

Happiness = reality - expectations.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

I just have Tire Rack send the tires to my BMW dealer of my indie shop.

Discount Tire purchased TireRack last year (October 2021, IIRC). They're working on building some better integrations, but "my guy" at the Salem, OR, Discount Tire store said that if I buy tires again next year, just give them a call, tell them what I want, and they'll get them there for the cost listed on either website (TR or DTD). He said they can also get a wide variety of tires and/or sizes that aren't even listed on the websites.

I figure, given the quality of service I've received at that location two years in a row, that it's worth a shot next time!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

“Will it pass NY inspection?”

i am not an NY inspector

He may have missed the part where its an emissions-exempt import and is otherwise is like-new condition. Easy to do given the subtle differences that contrast it to the typical 30-year-old example seen in New York. :o
  • Options
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

“Will it pass NY inspection?”

i am not an NY inspector

He may have missed the part where its an emissions-exempt import and is otherwise is like-new condition. Easy to do given the subtle differences that contrast it to the typical 30-year-old example seen in New York. :o
    Given what most 30 year old cars look like in NY I’d say those were fair questions. Anything older than 25 years old only needs a safety inspection in NY, not emissions so my guess is that anything with all 4 wheels will pass. My 84’ Corvette never had a problem despite running richer than Scrooge McDuck thanks to the Crossfire fuel injection.

In the future you should include statements like “no low-ballers” or “I know what I have” to quite all those concerns.

• Options
    I'm just going to stop responding to this one ebay idiot. How the heck he has over 2500 positive feedback eludes me. All those questions I posted above were from this one person. After I said "no warranty" he wrote "nobody is going to pay 9000 without guarantees." Of course, I could have stopped there, but I decided to respond with links to a half dozen auction results showing otherwise. His last stab was to offer 6250. I said he can bid that when it goes on BaT next month. Oh, did I mention BaT accepted it? Of course, they said "we are 3 weeks backed up, but we don't want you advertising it in the meantime." hahahahaha. Yeah, ok. I'll move forward with them but I'm not going to NOT sell it while waiting should the opportunity arise.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    qbrozen said:

I'm just going to stop responding to this one ebay idiot. How the heck he has over 2500 positive feedback eludes me. All those questions I posted above were from this one person. After I said "no warranty" he wrote "nobody is going to pay 9000 without guarantees." Of course, I could have stopped there, but I decided to respond with links to a half dozen auction results showing otherwise. His last stab was to offer 6250. I said he can bid that when it goes on BaT next month. Oh, did I mention BaT accepted it? Of course, they said "we are 3 weeks backed up, but we don't want you advertising it in the meantime." hahahahaha. Yeah, ok. I'll move forward with them but I'm not going to NOT sell it while waiting should the opportunity arise.

Have you included in your ads, or replies, the important phrase, "I know what I have here."

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

Have you included in your ads, or replies, the important phrase, "I know what I have here."

oldfarmer beat you to that reminder. ;b

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    @qbrozen - is this still for sale? Will you take my rusted out, oil burning (but otherwise mint) 1993 Civic on trade? Will you include a touch-up pen?
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    edited December 2022

@kyfdx said:

Did discount tire buy tire rack or was it the other way around?

Oops, never mind. @xwesx already gave the answer

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    If/when they merge their respective websites, I hope they keep Tire Rack's review system, it's excellent. Most of the time, I try to sort by mileage, high to low, and see what people who have driven on a given tire for a while have to say.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    corvette said:

If/when they merge their respective websites, I hope they keep Tire Rack's review system, it's excellent. Most of the time, I try to sort by mileage, high to low, and see what people who have driven on a given tire for a while have to say.

I like their tire testing reviews and comparisons as well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559

qbrozen said:

I knew there was a reason no one credible extended an offer on the Prelude. Live and learn.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    sda said:

corvette said:

I like their tire testing reviews and comparisons as well.
    Agreed! Tire Rack is my go-to research site for tires. I told the DT guy that I was surprised to learn that they had bought Tire Rack; given the quality differences in Discount Tire Direct and TR, I just didn't figure there was the $ there. He said that the primary motivator on the buy was that the distribution locations were highly complimentary to DTD's existing network, and their focus on online presence and testing compared to DT's focus on the physical locations made it a perfect match.

In his knowledge, there were no immediate plans to kill the DTD site or de-brand TR because both have highly loyal followings. Of course, he may have been blowing smoke up me nethers, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable about it.

We got to talking because he asked about why I bought the tires from TR and had them shipped to an off-site address. When I told him that the TR system didn't give me the option of shipping to them as an installer, he went into the acquisition stuff above. He suggested that I could have bought all of the tires from DTD, and I told him that the site simply wouldn't let me do it because:

1. The Cooper ATS4's in 265/60R18 said they wouldn't fit my Q7.
    2. The Yokohama G095 winters in 255/60R18 said they were out of stock.
    3. The Continental TerrainContact in 225/60R17 said they wouldn't fit my Crosstrek (that's the stock size, BTW).

TR did mention that it didn't feel the sizes/speed ratings I selected for my Q7 were correct, but it just made me sign a waiver and let me order anyway (hey, who are they to stand in the way of me forking over a gob of cash to them?!).

That's when he told me to just give his store a call next time, tell them what I want, and they'll have them there waiting for me at the time of the appointment.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    That's kind of funny someone offered that. Is any of the nonsense making you rethink jumping into this FT?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options

@pensfan83 said:
    That's kind of funny someone offered that. Is any of the nonsense making you rethink jumping into this FT?

Nah. You gotta deal with flakes and idiots in any profession. At least now I don’t answer to anybody, so I don’t have to be nice if I don’t want to.

Can’t say for sure but I’d guess some of this may not happen if I was showing as a dealer rather than individual. I could certainly be wrong.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367

“You gotta deal with flakes and idiots in any profession.”

That is the absolute truth.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@pensfan83 said:

Nah. You gotta deal with flakes and idiots in any profession. At least now I don’t answer to anybody, so I don’t have to be nice if I don’t want to.

Can’t say for sure but I’d guess some of this may not happen if I was showing as a dealer rather than individual. I could certainly be wrong.

So you are listing as a private seller and people are asking for powertrain warranties? I guess if you don’t ask you don’t get but maybe it’s just that some people are clueless rather than shrewd negotiators.

It’s funny, I’ve never been asked for any guarantees when selling a CL car. Maybe because most of them were obvious junkers.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    kyfdx said:

+2

qbrozen said:

@pensfan83 said:

So you are listing as a private seller and people are asking for powertrain warranties? I guess if you don’t ask you don’t get but maybe it’s just that some people are clueless rather than shrewd negotiators.

It’s funny, I’ve never been asked for any guarantees when selling a CL car. Maybe because most of them were obvious junkers.

---------------------------END QUOTED MATERIAL-----------------------------

I don't recall ever being asked for a guarantee or warranty, but I had a number of people down through the years ask if I would finance. I always assumed that was because of the number of dealers on Craigslist who pretended to be individual sellers.
  • Options

@tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:
    “You gotta deal with flakes and idiots in any profession.”

That is the absolute truth.

I had a conversation with a sales rep the other day that truly questions how people even get out of bed in the morning.

Literally every day at my job.

• Options

The 4th tire has arrived. They’re going to take me this afternoon as a walk-in - more reasons why i appreciate discount tire. Wanted to get it done today if I could because work will be a nightmare this week and we leave for a trip to Iceland and London next weekend.