-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1291329142916291829193161

Comments

  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,880
    akangl said:

    Local dealer has this on their lot and its taking all of my willpower not to drag hubby down there with Gremlin to trade it in. Only roadblocks are 1. Gremlin is paid for, 2. I just put a really expensive canopy on Gremlin, and 3. we have spent several thousand dollars getting Gremlin reliable and it only has 125k on it so should be good for a while. That doesn't count the new stereo/speakers, back up cam, heated seats, and a few other things I've had done to the truck.

    https://www.swickardpalmer.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_High_Country-PALMER-AK/1GC4KYEY5KF142580

    Is the salt coating an extra cost option?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,508
    The blue car in the pictures is a Maserati. A glutton for punishment.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,429

    akangl said:

    Local dealer has this on their lot and its taking all of my willpower not to drag hubby down there with Gremlin to trade it in. Only roadblocks are 1. Gremlin is paid for, 2. I just put a really expensive canopy on Gremlin, and 3. we have spent several thousand dollars getting Gremlin reliable and it only has 125k on it so should be good for a while. That doesn't count the new stereo/speakers, back up cam, heated seats, and a few other things I've had done to the truck.

    https://www.swickardpalmer.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_High_Country-PALMER-AK/1GC4KYEY5KF142580

    Is the salt coating an extra cost option?
    I thought for some reason they had moved to Houston.

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328

    The blue car in the pictures is a Maserati. A glutton for punishment.

    Notice the unpainted front bumper on the Mazer too
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328

    @xwesx said:
    Gotta be careful with those shadows! With a name like that, it could get really unappealing really fast!

    I don’t give a SHIFT😳

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930
    that ad was hysterical. Wonder if anyone ever bought it?

    It is a really sharp looking car. The LS swap sounds like a smart idea.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328

    @stickguy said:
    that ad was hysterical. Wonder if anyone ever bought it?

    It is a really sharp looking car. The LS swap sounds like a smart idea.

    Ad just posted 7 hours ago

  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,812
    stickguy said:

    that ad was hysterical. Wonder if anyone ever bought it?

    It is a really sharp looking car. The LS swap sounds like a smart idea.

    That ad reminds me of my recent water intrusion issues. Now mine was from a bad windshield installation, but it made me realize that autonomous driving is a bad idea yet again due to water intrusion issues.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,065
    edited March 2023

    @stickguy said:
    that ad was hysterical. Wonder if anyone ever bought it?

    It is a really sharp looking car. The LS swap sounds like a smart idea.

    I’d like to see how that gets accomplished. J mean, we’re talking about a platform not designed to accept a transmission nor differential. That’s not just a swap, that’s a redesign and major surgery.

    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328
    edited March 2023

    @qbrozen said:

    @stickguy said:
    that ad was hysterical. Wonder if anyone ever bought it?

    It is a really sharp looking car. The LS swap sounds like a smart idea.

    I’d like to see how that gets accomplished. J mean, we’re talking about a platform not designed to accept a transmission nor differential. That’s not just a swap, that’s a redesign and major surgery.

    It’s a PHEV with a 2.0 ecotec motor and limited slip rear differential

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930
    Rich Rebuilds did an LS swap into a Tesla S. with a manual trans too.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,037

    Man that 3500 long bed makes my Ram feel small

    2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,508
    V8 conversions for the Fisker came out 10 years ago.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,759

    @qbrozen said:

    @akangl said:
    Local dealer has this on their lot and its taking all of my willpower not to drag hubby down there with Gremlin to trade it in. Only roadblocks are 1. Gremlin is paid for, 2. I just put a really expensive canopy on Gremlin, and 3. we have spent several thousand dollars getting Gremlin reliable and it only has 125k on it so should be good for a while. That doesn't count the new stereo/speakers, back up cam, heated seats, and a few other things I've had done to the truck.

    https://www.swickardpalmer.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_High_Country-PALMER-AK/1GC4KYEY5KF142580

    1. WTH is Gremlin?
    2. Is it typical for dealers there to put up pics of their inventory absolutely filthy?

    ————————————————
    They do that so you know what it’ll look like most of the time, especially during the Winter months, which like I said is most of the time up there. :'(

    Look at it as “Truth in Advertising”.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,759

    @mjfloyd1 said:

    @qbrozen said:

    @akangl said:
    Local dealer has this on their lot and its taking all of my willpower not to drag hubby down there with Gremlin to trade it in. Only roadblocks are 1. Gremlin is paid for, 2. I just put a really expensive canopy on Gremlin, and 3. we have spent several thousand dollars getting Gremlin reliable and it only has 125k on it so should be good for a while. That doesn't count the new stereo/speakers, back up cam, heated seats, and a few other things I've had done to the truck.

    https://www.swickardpalmer.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_High_Country-PALMER-AK/1GC4KYEY5KF142580

    1. WTH is Gremlin?
    2. Is it typical for dealers there to put up pics of their inventory absolutely filthy?

    Gremlin is her Dodge tow truck that has been unreliable until they put lots of work and $ into it

    I’d suspect that first picture was the trade in picture but I’d think it’s probably more or less normal with all the snow in Alaska.

    ————————————————
    Gee, an unreliable Chrysler product. That ain’t really novel, is it?

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328
    edited March 2023

    That Cummins diesel in the Dodge pickup is a great motor

  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,208
    I met up with Mr. and Mrs. @breld for lunch today. They brought the Mach-E, and I was given an opportunity to drive it.

    This is the GT Performance model, and it was the fastest vehicle I have ever driven. They told me 0-60 is like 3 seconds, and after some time behind the wheel, I certainly believe them. No way could I have handled a full throttle pull on public roads - even @breld took it to 75 on a road marked for, I think, 40 or 45 MPH.

    The ride was pretty nice, even though it's the sportiest trim Ford makes. Interior reminds me of a Tesla - one small screen in front of the driver, and a large tablet in the center.

    When I took it on the highway, I noticed what seemed to be exhaust noise when I blipped the gas pedal. Turns out the Mach-E has three modes - Silent, Normal and "Unbridled" - the last mode fakes the exhaust sounds through the sound system. Pretty cool, if you're into that sort of thing.

    Decent space in all the seats, and though I believe Ford positions it as an SUV, it sure didn't seem like one behind the wheel.

    All in all, a very nice vehicle.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,364
    That Fisker ad reminded me of this ad for a Maserati:
    https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/esh/6324690044.html
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,759
    corvette said:

    That Fisker ad reminded me of this ad for a Maserati:
    https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/esh/6324690044.html

    ————————————————
    One good turn deserves another. I can’t even imagine all the flakes that guy got from the CL crowd. Like, “can you provide an extended warranty”?

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,438

    @corvette said:
    That Fisker ad reminded me of this ad for a Maserati:
    https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/esh/6324690044.html

    I’m convinced it’s the same person.

    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,065
    mjfloyd1 said:



    It’s a PHEV with a 2.0 ecotec motor and limited slip rear differential

    From what I understood, it had 2 electric motors on the rear wheels. So it may act like an LSD, it ain't one. And the engine acted as a generator for those electric motors.

    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,065
    stickguy said:

    Rich Rebuilds did an LS swap into a Tesla S. with a manual trans too.

    Haven't seen it. How did he compensate for removing the "spine" of the vehicle? It would need a substitute frame of some sort to ensure rigidity and safety.

    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930
    Really finding the new Accord hybrid interesting. a full size barge (by my size scale!) loaded up sedan that is rated at 51 city, 44 highway.

    Of course, I am not considering being in the big sedan market again at this point, but if I needed one, that would be the one.

    they should slap a version of that powertrain into the Civic hatch. That would be really intriguing.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930
    qbrozen said:

    stickguy said:

    Rich Rebuilds did an LS swap into a Tesla S. with a manual trans too.

    Haven't seen it. How did he compensate for removing the "spine" of the vehicle? It would need a substitute frame of some sort to ensure rigidity and safety.
    I don't remember what they did but it took a lot of fabrication and bracing.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,245
    stickguy said:

    Really finding the new Accord hybrid interesting. a full size barge (by my size scale!) loaded up sedan that is rated at 51 city, 44 highway.

    Of course, I am not considering being in the big sedan market again at this point, but if I needed one, that would be the one.

    Edmunds testers didn’t like it much.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,502
    edited March 2023
    My C43 is actually a bit larger than I prefer; I certainly don't want anything bigger.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930

    @ab348 said:
    Edmunds testers didn’t like it much.

    I read that and IIRC mostly that was whining about getting rid of the 2.0t version nobody actually bought.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328
    edited March 2023

    @qbrozen said:
    From what I understood, it had 2 electric motors on the rear wheels. So it may act like an LSD, it ain't one. And the engine acted as a generator for those electric motors.

    Yep, the “differential” is two electric motors with one facing forward and one facing towards the back of the car.

  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,065
    edited March 2023
    Trying to decide if there is a market for this one here. And what that would be. Got about 48k miles and a small V6. It is a 1990 but looks more like something from the mid 80s, with a decidedly 70s vibe to it. Gloria "van."



    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328
    Fisker Karma has a tunnel down the middle where the batteries resided. Looks like a good driveshaft tunnel


  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,429
    I think that would be a tough sell here.

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,880
    edited March 2023
    Michaell said:

    I met up with Mr. and Mrs. @breld for lunch today. They brought the Mach-E, and I was given an opportunity to drive it.

    This is the GT Performance model, and it was the fastest vehicle I have ever driven. They told me 0-60 is like 3 seconds, and after some time behind the wheel, I certainly believe them. No way could I have handled a full throttle pull on public roads - even @breld took it to 75 on a road marked for, I think, 40 or 45 MPH.

    The ride was pretty nice, even though it's the sportiest trim Ford makes. Interior reminds me of a Tesla - one small screen in front of the driver, and a large tablet in the center.

    When I took it on the highway, I noticed what seemed to be exhaust noise when I blipped the gas pedal. Turns out the Mach-E has three modes - Silent, Normal and "Unbridled" - the last mode fakes the exhaust sounds through the sound system. Pretty cool, if you're into that sort of thing.

    Decent space in all the seats, and though I believe Ford positions it as an SUV, it sure didn't seem like one behind the wheel.

    All in all, a very nice vehicle.

    That’s the one I’d like if I ever went EV but it would have to be a lease as I wouldn’t want to own one for the 10+ years I normally keep cars.

    What would the monthly cost be for a 3 year low mile (10k/year) lease?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

    @Michaell said:
    I met up with Mr. and Mrs. @breld for lunch today. They brought the Mach-E, and I was given an opportunity to drive it.

    This is the GT Performance model, and it was the fastest vehicle I have ever driven. They told me 0-60 is like 3 seconds, and after some time behind the wheel, I certainly believe them. No way could I have handled a full throttle pull on public roads - even @breld took it to 75 on a road marked for, I think, 40 or 45 MPH.

    The ride was pretty nice, even though it's the sportiest trim Ford makes. Interior reminds me of a Tesla - one small screen in front of the driver, and a large tablet in the center.

    When I took it on the highway, I noticed what seemed to be exhaust noise when I blipped the gas pedal. Turns out the Mach-E has three modes - Silent, Normal and "Unbridled" - the last mode fakes the exhaust sounds through the sound system. Pretty cool, if you're into that sort of thing.

    Decent space in all the seats, and though I believe Ford positions it as an SUV, it sure didn't seem like one behind the wheel.

    All in all, a very nice vehicle.

    A few years ago, a friend let me drive his wife’s Tesla model S 75D. I punched it and quickly found myself going 82 in a 35 or 40 mph zone. The instant torque is crazy!

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

    So this past Friday, I officially made 1 full year with the Wrangler. I put just under 23,000 miles on it. Which brings me to my next topic for the group. A little over 13 months ago, I sold our somewhat aging & somewhat less trustworthy 2017 Pilot and bought a very nice 2022 Highlander. I knew going into it that the Highlander was a little smaller than the Pilot when it came to interior cargo space and 3rd row passenger space. I thought the difference was something we could deal with as 90 something percent of the time, we don’t have it loaded with 5 passengers plus luggage. It isn’t. Friday we left to go skiing in Vermont for the day. We stayed at an inn overnight and skied yesterday. We had the skis and poles up in a cargo box that we borrowed from a friend. My wife and I shared a suitcase. Each one of our children had a very small roller suitcase. In addition we had ski boots, jackets, snowpants, & helmets which take up a lot of room. The car was just too cramped. I was comfortable driving it, but it is always an issue with who sits in the 3rd row. It never was with any of our Pilots.

    My 11 year old daughter who I’m sure has ADHD was crying back there to the point where I pulled over and put her in the 2nd row and have my 5’10” 16 back there.

    I’ve got to start looking into some other options. I’m pretty certain I can get out of my Highlander free and clear.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,429
    edited March 2023
    Another Pilot? Grand Cherokee L?

    100% with you on this. Nothing worse than being crammed in and not being able to see out the back is a pet peeve of mine. If jr didn’t drive on his own to the lake our current fleet wouldn’t work. We can fill up the Jeep or X1 when we go for an extended stay or have to take up material for a project.

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,557

    @au1994 said:
    Another Pilot? Grand Cherokee L?

    100% with you on this. Nothing worse than being crammed in and not being able to see out the back is a pet peeve of mine. If jr didn’t drive on his own to the lake our current fleet wouldn’t work. We can fill up the Jeep or X1 when we go for an extended stay or have to take up material for a project.

    Honda has really done a great job with the new Pilot from what I’ve seen, but I’m sure they are prohibitively expensive at the moment. I test drove a GCL and I don’t know if it makes that much of a difference as far as interior space goes.

    The funny thing is that when we take my Jeep places, nobody complains. I wonder if it the additional space and headroom.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,438
    edited March 2023

    One of the brokers on leasehackr is advertising 11% off on a GC L leased order. Worth checking into?

    Or one of the QX80/Armada deals…

    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,429
    QX/Armada is a good suggestion. Certainly would solve the space issue!

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,032
    qbrozen said:

    Trying to decide if there is a market for this one here. And what that would be. Got about 48k miles and a small V6. It is a 1990 but looks more like something from the mid 80s, with a decidedly 70s vibe to it. Gloria "van."



    Looks very similar to an early 80s Maxima wagon. Probably not a coincidence.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930
    I am another vote for that Gloria being a dud in the US.

    And what Bradd really needs is a minivan.

    for a CUV, I never found any of them to have much usable cargo room with someone in the 3rd row. So if getting another one of them go with a 2nd row bench and just make the kids sit together. frees up a lot more cargo room.

    or get one of those hitch mount cargo trays.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,469
    stickguy said:

    I am another vote for that Gloria being a dud in the US.

    And what Bradd really needs is a minivan.

    for a CUV, I never found any of them to have much usable cargo room with someone in the 3rd row. So if getting another one of them go with a 2nd row bench and just make the kids sit together. frees up a lot more cargo room.

    or get one of those hitch mount cargo trays.

    We rented an Expedition EX-L around 2011 in Colorado. 3 adult men and 3 teenage boys. Enough room behind the 3rd row for all of our luggage. It was truly massive.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,208
    I had a long conversation with my sister yesterday - the first one since she's gotten settled into her new house. Got caught up on the transportation issues and needs of her three kids:

    Nephew #1 is 25 and just returned Friday from a year-long stint in Japan, where he was an English teacher to middle school students. He got back his 2015 Jetta with 100K on it, but realized that his license had expired, and that my sister had removed him from the insurance policy. The insurance has been dealt with, and he'll get his license reinstated in the next couple of days. Next up for him is his masters program at Eastern Washington University, just outside of Spokane. He will be moving up there in August, and my sister and BIL will go with him and take a small U-Haul of his furniture for his apartment (yes, I've been in touch with @fintail about life in the area). Looking on Google Maps, it turns out that it's a 1200+ mile drive and over 20 hours from SD to Spokane, only a portion of which is on interstates - most of it is on US Hwy 395 or US 95, through a lot of desolate stretches in CA, NV and OR.

    Nephew #2 is 22 and drives the late 90's 2WD 4Runner. Now with 178K, he could probably sell it for more than they paid for it a few years ago ($6K). Looking on-line, the asking prices for used 4Runners (even those with 2WD) are absolutely insane. The new house they've moved into is about 20 minutes further away from everything (jobs, schools, shopping), and the high gas prices are starting to affect him. However, he is currently saving his money to spend the summer in Spain with his GF and her family. So, he soldiers on with the Toyota ... for now.

    Nephew #3 is 19 and is hot to trot to get a new (to him) car. He is currently driving my mom's '03 Sonata, which I now think has finally broken the 50K mile barrier. His dream car is a new (or nearly new) Civic Sport sedan, but these are all selling for low to mid-20K, and is just out of his budget. He's got about $8K stashed away for a down payment, so my sister and I perused cars.com to see what else might be available. Found a '16 Altima SR with only 37K miles on it for $17K, and a 2021 Kia Forte LXS with 30K miles on it for $19K. She sent those along to him, to gauge his interest. Ideally, my sister would like him to have a loan of not more than $300-ish per month for 36 or 48 months, which is doable with the down payment and budget he's working with. Just a matter of him finding the right car...

    If #3 gets something new, then the Sonata can be handed off to #2, and he can sell the 4Runner to create a down payment on something newer for him. While the Sonata doesn't get great mileage, it's gotta be better than whatever the 4Runner gets.

    My sister and BIL are still sharing the XC40 they bought last summer.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,208
    Maybe @nyccarguy can borrow his dad's new Tahoe for the skiing trips. Or rent something bigger.

    Seems like another situation where you're getting a car for a 5% use case.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,347
    It's cool, i would drive it, but prices would need to be similar to a like condition Maxima wagon - which means there might not be a ton of meat on the bone after all costs are accounted for.

    I'd be looking for any LHD oddball Euro stuff to ship over.
    qbrozen said:

    Trying to decide if there is a market for this one here. And what that would be. Got about 48k miles and a small V6. It is a 1990 but looks more like something from the mid 80s, with a decidedly 70s vibe to it. Gloria "van."

  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,429
    Seems like another situation where you're getting a car for a 5% use case.

    Isn’t that like our mission statement or something? :smiley:

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,930
    heck, I liked the MG F idea from a few weeks ago if it was LHD. Not going to run into another one of those around here! Or of course, any parts for it.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,438

    In my case the 5% use case exception is being generous.

    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Sign In or Register to comment.