Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Besides the features you mentioned, you also get a leather wrapped steering wheel w/ radio controls, shaker 500 audio with 4 more speakers, full gauges, interior illumination options, and a few other non-functional items. The leather, power driver seat and sync are the big ticket items. Can't remember if the base comes with auto headlamps and Sirius too?

Mine came pretty well fully loaded in 2011 with about $4,300 in options over the premium package, only lacking the silly (non opening for $1,995!) glass roof and electronics pkg that would have added navi, shaker 1000, and elec climate control. MSRP was $37,980 and I paid $32,976 including window tint. At the time, the return of the 5.0 was still a big deal so the rebate was only $2,500.

One thing that really bugs me about current Mustangs, that I never paid attention to because I didn't think I needed to check these days, is the omission of curtain airbags. I mean, EVERYTHING has them as standard equipment nowadays. The car does have side seat-mounted airbags though. Not sure if Ford thought that there wasn't enough interior volume to warrant curtains, but the Camaro has them. This wouldn't have kept me from buying one, but really bad move here Ford!

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    That's a tough day Stick, to say the least. Hope the weekend ends better than it has started.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    So my wife gets back today from another driving session with her daughter, and confides that she's not sure teaching a manual trannie right away, along with all the other intricacies of driving that we take for granted, is working out so well. I don't disagree.

So what we are strongly considering is combining my recent search with getting an automatic for her daughter to learn on. So, we still sell the 530i, AND trade in the daughter's beetle for something like the Elantra GT. I get the car I've been considering, she gets to learn on it, and more likely than not, inherit it when she gets her license next March. And I get to shop again in nine months. Sounds like a win-win to me. :P

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    The SM that offered me the great deal an Abarth has moved on to greener pastures; I don't know anyone else at the dealership so I'm virtually certain they won't match the deal. Looks like I'm stuck with the Mazdaspeed for a while longer. Oh well, Purgatory isn't so bad once you get used to it...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    Volkswagen seems to be running some really great deals on 2013 Jetta TDI's. It seems I could get into a TDI Premium DSG for under $22k.

Here is the thing...I really cannot justify it. My 2011 C30 has about 11k miles on it now and 3 more years of free maintenance. It is also paid off and thus the only thing it costs me is insurance. The Wife's 2011 Mazda3 also has 11k miles on it now and it too is paid off, so the only thing it is costing us right now is routine maintenance and insurance.

We've thought about selling both and going down to one car, but we both work on-call weekends and late hours with little notice that would make it problematic. As much as I dislike the Mazda3 (it has horrid road noise, rattles like crazy, and is not particularly comfortable), my wife is content with it. Since it is her primary commuter, that is really what matters.

Thoughts?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited May 2013
    Q, hope it all works out with the Stang. Fun car for sure!

Stick, wow what a weekend. Car troubles, and then people troubles! I'm sure seeing your son graduate was still fantastic.

I don't know about Honda/Acura but on Toyota vehicles when a CEL is tripped it also disables the traction control and illuminates the warning lights for that.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    $5k off is still a great deal. Problem is that so many options are worthless at trade time and even the important options depreciate so much more than the rest of the car. For example, a $2k navi system that is worth $500 the second you drive off the lot. So, in the end, a premium car that cost about 15% more than the base car new is now, 1 yr later, only worth about 4% more. Doesn't matter to most people, of course, who keep the cars longer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I've been browsing the listings for candidates for my economical car that my stepdaughter would learn on and then inherit. Like I said, the Elantra GT is a good candidate, since I've been eyeing them for awhile, and it seems I could get one for $17-18k.

But, don't want to ignore other possibilities. Considering I want something I'd be good commuting in for the next year or so, but would be fun (but practical) for a 16 year-old, I've been looking at ads for cars such as the Scion Tc, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, Focus. Maybe a Mazda3.

Other suggestions for good buys out there?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    In two weeks, get new Konis, CABs and Pilot SuperSports...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Which car is this?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Golf, mazda2, Fit, Versa, Accent

• Options
    So how long do I give this guy to find a car? Feel like I'm losing a day here not shopping on Memorial Day. If that car in Linden wasn't so far away, I'd probably convince myself to go see that today. The silver one in Lumberton is a bit closer, but it is a 2011. The Freehold car is very close but it is a BMW dealer and its black on black which would be about my last choice.

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    edited May 2013
    As a backup, I'd pick about 5 more Ford dealers, find out who the Internet Manager is at each, and send a flurry of emails out with your required specs (you can include the dealers where the known cars are located if you have that info). If there are some base cars out there to be had, I'm sure there are dealers eager to make another Memorial Day sale. You'll still have to shop your trade when you get there, but you'd be one step ahead without needless travel to each.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited May 2013
    There have been tons of high-pressure fuel pump failures on the TDIs. VW keeps claiming that the customers are putting gasoline in the fuel tank instead of acknowledging that there is a mechanical problem. This is a very expensive repair if it's out of warranty.

For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that VW is alienating its most loyal fan base.
  • Options
    I have been reading about this. Ironically I know 3 people with 2010-2011 TDI's and have had 0 problems with theirs.

My other idea was a GLI (I have the German Car itch), but far less justifiable from a fuel economy standpoint.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Thanks T. overall, the weekend was fine. seeing him graduate (in 4 years too!) was nice. A lot of hard work to get an engineering degree from that school. And winning some named department prize (which was news to him too, since they didn't tell the kids in advance) was a nice extra bonus.

after doing some research, I have my fingers crossed that the TL is something tune-up related (bad plug wire or coil pack). still might not be cheap, but also not multi-thousands or something fatal like a bad tranny.

should know tomorrow when the dealer opens and can take a look at it.

Good news, while working on cleaning the bugs and mud off the RDX, I pulled the front plate off and pounded it back into shape. And did a close inspection or the fascia and thankfully found no damage beyond the plate. As a bonus, I discovered the dimwits at the dealer left one of the bolts off the plate holder (it always seemed a little loose) so I put a new one in, and it is much sturdier. And I put the bottom screws in both plates, so the front sits flush, and the back no longer rattles when you close the hatch.

as long as the TL comes out ok (and at 14 YO, 168K, and spending 4 years of hard duty parked outside in really cold area barely getting used, with all original coil packs and wires, can't complain if that is the problem) life will go on. as long as his lip heals up OK!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I swear I was just gonna look, but I find myself at the dealership buying a Veloster :surprise: .

It's one of those times when you're not that intent on buying, so you just throw out super aggressive numbers. Maybe it's a Memorial Day thing, but they went for it.

Basically the other dealership had that $3,500 off msrp on all new Hyundais. I brought that up with this dealership; they checked it out an pointed out that included $1,400 of qualified incentives (military, college, etc.). I figured as much. But, they wanted the business, so....

• Options
    I like those. Must be a middle aged guy thing. My daughter and wife did not find it attractive.

so you actually purchased it? You do act fast.

one of my grand plans at the moment (OK, fantasies) is selling both my old beater acuras (mine and sons TL) and getting 1 new/newer car that we would share as long as he is home and job hunting. Then once he lands work, depending on where and what he can either keep that car or get something else. Would also consider a cheap lease, but that might get complicated, since I don't really need it if he moves on, and not sure how it would work transferring it over.

I am thinking a 4-5 YO something decent would be a good compromise to replace the 2 old ones.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Got a real basic Veloster with auto trannie. Msrp of about $20,300, they offered $3,500 off that, plus their $499 dealer handling, and $7,500 trade on the beetle (kbb is $7,300). I was surprised by that, but pushed for another $500 to "cover" the "dealer handling" and they agreed when I nicely said I'd think about it over lunch.

So, we unloaded the beetle for what I thought was a very fair trade (remember my wife got sideswiped on the highway a few months ago), and got a new Marathon Blue Veloster for a great discount. They had an identical used one that we initially looked at, but the new one was clearly a better deal.

So, I'll use it as my little run-around for the next 9 months, my stepdaughter will learn on it, and then take it over when she gets her license.

I'll give my impressions of the car another time - don't want to bore all of you with too much info! :)

• Options
    not quite sure about the price, and miles might be a bit steep (or some combination of the 2) but dang, I really really like this one!

http://www.outletcars.com/specials/used-specials

Or maybe this. Pretty sure no one in family would fight me for it.

http://www.outletcars.com/vehicle-inventory

Makes no logical sense, but then again, neither do I. and under budget!

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Infiniti/2004-Infiniti-G35+Sedan-3f1789600a0a00de- 00a167482bfcc0e2.htm?state=taberU

little pricey, but I like it. Yes, I am getting old and sore.

http://www.fiatusaofsouthjersey.com/used/Lexus/2006-Lexus-ES+330-bf7deff70a0a00d- e01b8424ea0aea3cc.htm

• Options
    sounds like a good deal. basically what I did with my volvo that my daughter now has, except it was used. Got it for her, but it was my car while she learned to drive.

I could go that way for something to share with my son, but once we "split up" neither of us will want it!

• Options
    Yeah - I've liked the Velosters ever since they came out. I think it reminds me of the CR-X more than anything Honda has put out lately.

So, I get to drive one for awhile without really committing. And my stepdaughter gets a really cool car in what she refers to as "Tardis Blue." ;)

• Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Stick, glad to hear you son graduated in 4 years. Not something that happens to often anymore. Our daughter did the same - and she changed majors to boot.

Hope all works out with the TL - I like your plan of dumping the TL and the integra and getting something newer. When / if your son finds work, he can either take what you've got (which frees you up to shop again) or he can buy or lease something on his own (giving you the chance to help him shop). Win win!

Breld - congrats on the veloster punch. That was quick! Hope you and the kid both enjoy it.

I think the ion needs to go into the shop. It's been clunking and clicking up front for a while. I had a driver trainee ride with me last night and he thought it might be the cv joint. A little net research seems to confirm the noise and possible cause. It also needs a fuel filter - I suppose 90k on the original is enough.
  • Options
    Trust me, the GLI is more fun than the TDI. :D
  • Options
    It would be interesting if Honda made a CR-Z Si with the Civic Si engine (and no hybrid powertrain). Not my cup of tea, but it would be a lot more like the CRX.

"Tardis Blue."

I love Doctor Who!
  • Options
    thanks for the congrats. I had a simple rule. College is 4 years, and we would do what needed to be done to financially support that to get them through. But if they chose to diddle around and take more years, 5+ was on them. That is enough incentive for anyone.

still a nice thing, considering he was in the hardest department in one of the toughest schools.

• Options
    there was something like that in one of the car rags recently. Not sure if it was still hybrid, but it was a CR-Z with a hopped up powertrain and sporty upgrades.

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Stick, I'd jump on that Lexus. It's practically new with miles in the 70s.
    Change the water pump and belt at 110 and you're golden thru 200k.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    the first 2 links take me to inventory pages, nothing specific.

• Options
    I did like the lexus. I really should go drive one of that generation, since I don't think I ever have (just older ones).

gotta say, at my advancing age (and girth...) something comfy and cushy, that I can get in and out of without a derrick, is enticing.

• Options
    I hate when that happens.

the first one is a 2007 3 series, dark blue with a 6 speed stick.

the 2nd was some sort of hideous green custom Scion XD.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    First & foremost, stick, congratulations & mazel-tov on you son's graduation from Cornell. And another congrats that he did it in 4 years! If he could think up a really good story for the busted lip, it's a way to differentiate himself on a job interview.

Qbrozen - have faith & patience my friend. If things were meant to be with the mustang, then you'll get "the call" sometime tomorrow. I agree that black on black would be my least favorite color choice, but "if the price is right" as they say.

Breld - congrats on the Memorial Day Veloster Punch. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

28firefighter - I have 3 customers who sing the praises of their TDI VWs. A 2010 (old body style) TDI Cup, a 2011 (current body style), & an Audi A3 TDI. Dude, you've got 2 good cars with ZERO payments. I'd love to be in that situation.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Congrats!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Also more expensive.

Either way, trade values on the C30 and Mazda3 are not where I want them to be - I won't take a huge hit on them, mostly on principle.
  • Options
    I second my congratulations to Stick!

And yes, you're right - both cars are paid off, a lovely situation. But if I didn't have the itch to do something unnecessary, I wouldn't frequent this board! In any case, trade numbers are not where I want them to be and I do not want to take a huge hit. I love the C30 (was out driving it tonight) and am not willing to part with it. Status quo things shall remain in the 28FF house!
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2013
    At a premium of approx. $1,500 over a 535i
    and a TQ number of over 400, I suppose
    this deserves a look, before my lease is up.
    - Ray
    Luv TQ
    [ edit = looks like the long link will not copy
    MSRP for the 5 Series Sedan and 5 Series Gran Turismo:

528i Sedan
    $50,425

550i xDrive Sedan
    $67,125

528i xDrive Sedan
    $52,725

ActiveHybrid 5
    $62,325

535i Sedan
    $56,025

535i Gran Turismo
    $60,925

535i xDrive Sedan
    $58,325

535i xDrive Gran Turismo
    $63,225

535d Sedan
    $57,525

550i Gran Turismo
    $68,825

535d xDrive Sedan
    $59,825

550i xDrive Gran Turismo
    $71,125

550i Sedan
    $64,825

All prices include $925 Destination and Handling

Design: Developing the Five’s signature sporty character.

Fresh contour lines for the surround of the BMW kidney grille and redesigned lower air intakes reinforce the sporty appearance of the 2014 BMW 5 Series Sedan. The accentuated width of the rear end is underlined by an extra crease in the apron, as well as slim, sharply contoured and therefore more striking rear lights.

The 2014 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo receives a modified front apron exuding presence and solidity. Its redesigned rear end creates a longer and lower visual impression. A three-dimensional surface design for the area around the license plate holder and a chrome strip in the rear apron add further depth to its dynamic character.

Xenon Adaptive headlights are fitted as standard on all 5 Series models, while Adaptive LED Headlights join the options list for 2014. Elsewhere, the side indicator lights are now integrated into the exterior mirrors. Also new in the BMW 5 Series are the Luxury Line and Modern Line, in addition to the popular M Sport choice, each containing select design and equipment features.

Functionality and desirability at new levels.

New details lend further refinement to the premium impression of the new BMW 5 Series’ interior and a new layer of functionality. The Central Display of the standard iDrive operating system is now bordered in the Sedan by chrome trim. The storage compartments and cup holders in the center console of these models now have increased capacity.

A revised rear section increases the luggage capacity of the new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo by 2.1 cu-ft to 17.7 cu-ft (European figures, preliminary). New exterior paint colors, light-alloy wheels, upholstery colors and interior trim elements for all BMW 5 Series models enhance their appeal and increase the scope for individualization.

Engines: more power, now with the choice of BMW Advanced Diesel.

The introduction of the 2014 BMW 5 Series family also heralds an expansion of its engine range. The BMW 535d has been added as BMW’s latest diesel variant in North America. Its inline-6 BMW Advanced Diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology makes 255 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 413 lb-ft of torque from 1,500 – 3,000 rpm (preliminary figures). Simultaneously, the new BMW 535d Sedan is expected to show substantial fuel efficiency gains over its gasoline-fueled counterpart. US EPA figures will be available closer to the on-sale date. BMW’s xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive system is also available on the new 535d Sedan.
    ... ]

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/us/pressDetail.html?title=the-new-bmw- - -5-series-sedan-and-bmw-5-series-gran-turismo&outputChannelId=9&id=T0141999EN_US- - &left_menu_item=node__2234
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I had a simple rule. College is 4 years, and we would do what needed to be done to financially support that to get them through. But if they chose to diddle around and take more years, 5+ was on them. That is enough incentive for anyone.

Great minds think alike! Exactly what my wife told the daughter. She attended classes at a local community college almost every summer to stay on track.

Now she is in classes to get her early childhood director's certification from the state .. that will open up more job opportunities for her.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    In two weeks, get new Konis, CABs and Pilot SuperSports...

Which car is this?

'06 330Ci ZHP.. 75K miles

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You mean your son's car;)-

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Just curious..a couple months back when you were car shopping for your son, you kept saying that you were not looking forward to driving the wife's Infinity. You indicated it quite emphatically a number of times.
    Isn't it a G35? What's not to like?
  • Options
    It's a G37X. He digs the power, but doesn't like the fact that it is NOT light on its feet shall we say. He also doesn't LOVE the slushbox either.

• Options
    Ah, that one. The supersports are great (although very pricey). I assume Koni HDs? Are those considered an upgrade on the ZHP? And what the heck are CABs?

• Options
    Salesperson claims the driver is on the way up to NY now to fetch my car.

Don't know if this link will work or how long it will be up, but I'm pretty positive this must be the one since, according to their inventory computer at the dealership, it is the only blue one in reasonable distance.

• Options
    gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    Wow, you got that car for ~25? Not bad!
  • Options
    I like that blue - can't wait to get your impressions.

• Options
    too bright for my tastes.

unless it is on a 1969 Boss 302. then it would be OK.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Sounds good.
    - Ray
    Bet it will sound good & be quick!
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    just talked to the dealer, and it is what I expected. A coil pack crapped out (only 168K? Cheap Japanese parts...). Turns out that 1 failed completely, which likely caused the lights and bad idle. 2 more checked out as bad with intermittent misfires when warm. And the plugs were fouled (also pretty old at this point).

of course, my son mentioned today when I explained what all this meant that the car had been running poorly for a while (especially after a trip, if he went out to start it an hour or 2 later), and MPG was down.

so, it is getting 3 new coil packs, and 6 new plugs. and my wallet gets lightened some more. But, should run like new again, and at least get him home.

• Options
    Took this photo of our fleet after bringing the Veloster home. The only car missing is my wife's white 3-er wagon, which was at the office garage.

Think we gravitate to a particular color for our cars? :P