Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    That was my concern, of course, which is why I asked about the prorated refund. :P

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    The F30 definitely takes some seat time to get comfortable with. If I had taken it on a standard 15 minute test drive, I wouldn't have even let the salesman give me "numbers." The idle isn't that bad outdoors. Indoors (parking garage, service bay), the clatter does seem to be more pronounced.

Sport mode is definitely my preference although it is ridiculous that the car will not upshift to 7th or 8th without me doing it manually.

The Auto Start/Stop doesn't bother me at all. I think it is actually really cool technology. I was sitting in traffic, dead stopped yesterday. The engine shuts off, but the AC & Radio all function as if the car is cruising along the highway at 70.

The more I drive a car powered by the N20 Turbo 4, the more I like it. It isn't smooth, but responsive and oh so much more powerful. The 8 speed autobox is perfectly matched to it. I can only imagine how fast a 335i is.

The standard headlights are garbage.

The soft suspension tuning isn't ALL bad either. There are pot holes I've hit in my E90 that have literally made me cringe and yell OUCH when I'm in the car by myself. Last week I couldn't avoid a pothole in the highway, hit it, and literally watched my full coffee mug jump out of the cup holder, flip over, and land on the floor. It spilled 3/4 of the cup. The F30 just goes about it's business.

You made a comment about spending a lot of time crawling in traffic. That's my commute too. It's a straight shot on the highway in the AM. In the afternoon, there's a lot of stop N go traffic, followed by a curvy highway, followed by (especially on Thurs & Fri from May to September) crawling traffic. When the traffic does stop, I do get off and take some seriously twisty back roads. It has made me re-evaluate my vehicular needs. Besides the fact that I don't want to spend the money on a new one, do I really need "the ultimate driving machine?"

Once the lease is up (don't get excited guys, if I were to trade it I'd be WAY upside down), I'm definitely going to look elsewhere. I keep coming back to the fact that I want a Wrangler Unlimited.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    No doubt that Mustang GT has incredible power - I'm curious how far Ford has come in making it a good handling sports coupe, particularly compared to some of the European offerings.

Since you're well qualified to make that sort of comparison Q, I'm looking forward to your take. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I saw a Z3 coming out of a side road, yesterday.... I was zipping by pretty quick and didn't take a long look, but something just seemed off... A little farther down the road, came upon some traffic and he came around me.... The taillights didn't seem right... The car seemed to sit down on the wheels a little (like it was lowered).... just couldn't place it...

But, eventually, I figured it out... It was a Miata! Now, why someone would go to all the trouble to modify BMW body parts to fit a Miata, I don't know (a body shop guy with a lot of free time?)...

Really weird!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I haven't shopped them at all, but those Wrangler Unlimited's aren't exactly inexpensive, are they?

I like reading your impressions on the F30 compared to your E90. I've had a couple of test drives in the F30, but no substantial seat time. From a financial perspective, I certainly have no regrets going with my used E90 335, but I do like the F30s. I think I'd be okay with what seems to be a small step back in driving dynamics in exchange for more room and comfort. Fair trade off I think, particularly for my 60 mile commute.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    No they are not cheap, but you can keep them reasonably priced. A Sport with a few key options can be had for an MSRP of about $33K. They sell at or below invoice all day.

Just dropped the F30 off & am picking up my E90. My combined consumption was 28.5 mpg. I get about 22.5 in my car. I got 33 with the 335d.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Congrats!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    But, eventually, I figured it out... It was a Miata! Now, why someone would go to all the trouble to modify BMW body parts to fit a Miata, I don't know (a body shop guy with a lot of free time?)...

I actually think that there is a kit available to "transform" a Miata- a brain-dead moron and his money are soon parted...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Just dropped the F30 off & am picking up my E90. My combined consumption was 28.5 mpg. I get about 22.5 in my car. I got 33 with the 335d.

We just got back from my son's freshmen orientation in SC; the wife's E90 328i averaged 29 mpg at an average cruising speed of @75 mph. It's a very comfortable cruiser.

Right now the only new BMWs I could see myself owning are the M3, M5, and M6 Gran Coupe. The F30 leaves me absolutely cold.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    One local VW dealer has a CPO 2012 GTI w/DSG on their lot. My cousin lives in Columbia, SC where my son will attend college and she and her husband have been real happy with their VW dealer. I toyed with buying the VW and driving it for the last 18-20 months of my job and then flipping it to my son and selling the X3. Upon reflection I figured that if I was bored with the Mazdaspeed 3 the GTI would only be worse- it's too "mature" for a hot hatch. So, the search continues: European or Japanese, no droptops, no boring cars(as fellow Kentuckian the late DED Jr. used to say)...

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    big step leaving the 1st kid at college. Very emotional. My wife cried. I wanted to beat traffic... (just kidding, I missed him too).

My daughter and I are supposed to fly down and check out SC at some point this summer. I like the school. She wants to go on the plane.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    wait a couple of months until Sube comes out with the Turbo BRZ (is that them or Scion? I forget). Car should already have everything you want (including no moonroof). and the Turbo should rectify any perceived lack of grunt.

I think that is coming out soon?

Or just get a "stang GT like QB did and have fun doing smoky burnouts.

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    One aspect I haven't commented on here with respect to our GT is the very good mileage. The car has never gotten less than 19 mpg even in all city driving. Typical tanks are 21-22 with still mostly city and a little highway thrown in. All highway has yielded over 26 a few times. What I really like about this car is the accuracy of the trip computer. I've never had a car with one that was accurate until the Mustang. They always overstate mileage by 1-2 mpg. In this car, it's either dead on or even a little conservative. My brand new Ford truck is close, but even it's trip computer is usually high by about .5-1 mpg.

On the warranty, I think it's a smart move and I'm about to see what my dealer will do for me if I purchase two at once, one for the '11 Mustang and another for the '13 F-150. They will still sell a warranty up until the original is up, and we just crested 30K. That brings me to another topic; although Ford had the most desirable vehicles at the times I was shopping, their warranties (B to B and powertrain) are just not competitive and that's disappointing. It is sad that my '07 Santa Fe will still be under powertrain warranty even after the Mustang's expires. I'm really not expecting a lot to go wrong with this car, but with the lesser warranty coverage an extended warranty suddenly starts to make more sense. If Ford matched Hyundai's warranty, it'd be a no brainer as I wouldn't consider purchasing one.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    Stacey David (on Gearz) built a neat V8 modified Miata (using a Monster Miata kit) he called the Banshee. Basically, a modern recreation of the Cobra. Came out looking pretty neat. Used the basic conversion + an "italian" look body kit to go along with it.

http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee

• Options
    Congrats on your son's freshman orientation. Getting back into my E90 felt so good. The powertrain is so refined. I love how it takes a little muscle to turn the steering wheel. The ride is just rock solid. The precise steering. Everything about my 328xi is just so fluid & so right. It is far from the fastest car on the road. I nudged the shifter into DS, dropped the hammer, and blasted my way out of a toll booth. I love how the engine just keeps pulling until it hits the redline. It is so strong and sounds so sweet.

I'm not sure who should get dragged out into the street and shot first, the moron who thought electric power steering was a good idea or the idiot boss who signed off on it. Whoever it was clearly never drove an E90.

So my car got a new negative battery cable (recall), a new trunk latch, a new passenger side headlight assembly, a new cabin filter (scheduled maintenance), and a brake fluid change (scheduled maintenance). The brake fluid & cabin filter weren't due for another 1200 or so miles, but they did it for me.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    and a brake fluid change

With what? 20K on the clock? I don't think I've ever changed brake fluid unless I had a caliper replaced, or brake hose which opened up the system.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    big step leaving the 1st kid at college. Very emotional. My wife cried. I wanted to beat traffic...

We don't leave him "for good" until August 17th. I know it will be a bittersweet experience.

My daughter and I are supposed to fly down and check out SC at some point this summer. I like the school. She wants to go on the plane.

We have been thoroughly impressed with South Carolina from our initial visit up through orientation. They provide a huge amount of academic support so I told my son that there is absolutely no excuse for getting poor grades...

• Options
    Almost 24K. I think the service is due @ 25K, but they give you a window of maybe 1500 miles prior to bring the car in. It didn't cost me anything, so who am I to complain?

• Options
    that makes a lot of sense. I should have connected the dots since my son just graduated 4 days ago!

though I guess it could have been for a summer session.

Nah, I was just having a senior moment!

• Options
    I know you like it and all, but in that short a period of time, wouldn't expect that much oddball stuff to go bad!

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    That sounds really hideous. The Miata is such a simple, straightforward, and non-pretentious car... It's like trying to turn a dog into a cat. :P
  • Options
    "I love how it takes a little muscle to turn the steering wheel."

I loved that on my E90 and E39, as well. The GLI's (electric) steering is firmer than most cars but not as firm as those BMWs. I haven't sampled a more recent BMW to compare them.
  • Options
    "...wouldn't expect that much oddball stuff to go bad!"

I was thinking the same thing! BTW, I think BMW calls for brake fluid replacement every 24 months, regardless of mileage.
  • Options
    I notice that when I drive my Integra. steering has actually feel, and takes a bit of effort to turn.

of course, I should probably check the air level in the tires too.

• Options
    Well guys, you are right. The negative battery cable was replaced as part of a massive recall. My passenger side headlamp "auto leveled" itself to help me see tree tops better. The trunk latch was just not working correctly. More of annoyances than anything. That's why they give you a warranty

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    I looked at the A4 (Quattro) and ATS and really wanted to like them, the A5 too but the lack of a sliding roof killed it for me. Neither was as powerful as the 335 obviously. Didn't look at Acura. Had a TSX, nice car, maybe even great car but I really like the RWD.

I really wonder if BMW will go back to hydraulic steering, if not in a refresh of this version, in the next generation.

I like the styling, there's lots of cool creases and lines in the car that they pulled off well, not just creases and angles for creases and angles sake a la the ATS.

The soft(er) ride is sometimes welcomed. Our roads down here tend to be in better shape that up north due to the weather but I know what you mean. I too watched my coffee up take a flying leap over a pothole that rattled my fillings.

I did a 36mo lease this time so I'm committed for at least 24 :blush: , around that point you can usually trade out even. Not that I'm thinking about it because I really do like the car.

RE: Jeep...had a 07 2dr for a while. Loved it, put some minor mods on it. Been in a few 4drs and they are nice but as noted can get pricey but deals are all over the place. The 4dr will ride better than the 2dr but still will be worse than the E90. Back seat room on the 4dr is surprisingly tight as well. You tend to forget about that on a nice day with the top down and doors off though!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    BTW, I think BMW calls for brake fluid replacement every 24 months, regardless of mileage.

That's right.... brake fluid attracts water... the system is never as sealed as you think.. I think the longest brake fluid change interval recommended by any make is 3 years...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    This car has your name all over it:

http://samswope.com/1986-Chrysler-Fifth-Avenue-FITH-AVE-Louisville-KY/vd/1506412- 8

Sadly, no pics, though. I bet they'd let you have it for under $2,000 with all taxes and fees included. :P
  • Options
    pretty sure that Honda is one of the few other makers that actually specifies a replacement for the BF. and that IIRC is every 3 years.

most others just don't even include it as a required maintenance item.

• Options
    I'll go look at it...

• Options
    VW says every 3 years on the GLI (the first one is covered under the scheduled maintenance program). They used to specify every 2 years. Confusingly, some of the models call for the first replacement at the 3 year mark, then every 2 years thereafter. :confuse:
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited May 2013
    At the rate we're going (14 through 5 months), we should be around 34 for the year.

That puts us way over the 22-punch target. :P

But, only 8 punches in 7 months? It could happen! Maybe.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Oh, it will slow down ... then maybe a spurt at the end of the year.

I still like my number. ;)

Hell, I certainly didn't expect to be contributing this year.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

• Options
    not that brave. Not really my style at this point. And I would really have to try those seats for fit!

• Options
    I don't think I could do that color, but could definitely drive that car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    And I would really have to try those seats for fit!

I've got a 46 inch waist and the Recaros were pretty snug for me. Like RB, I wish Ford would unbundle some of the options for the ST so I could get the HID's without the sport seats.

Speaking of ST's, I see where Ford is rating the Fiesta ST at 26/35 ... with 197HP. My ION, with the old-tech 4-speed auto, is rated at 24/33. I get about 25-26 in mostly city driving.
  • Options
    I actually had 2 different yellow cars in my youth. A Duster in HS, and a Gremlin early in college. Actually, the Gremlin was about 5 different shades of yellow, depending on the body panel...

neither was quite that bright, probably through fading.

Not something I would be doing these days.

• Options
    If I was going to go after one of these type of cars, pretty sure it would be a Fiesta over a Focus.

• Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Not something I would be doing these days.

I dunno; if q gifted me his new blue 'Stang, I don't think I'd refuse it.
  • Options
    Oh, I am on record as being comfortable in my cheapness tighwadness frugality, so if it is free, I will take anything.

• Options
    I might go drive it, just for giggles- and to hear the sales guy at Fiat beg me to buy an Abarth again...

• Options
    I forget again when the Fiesta comes out, but that actually sounds like a reasonable option (from the reviews I read) and a bit more functional than the Fiat, while still having the rorty fun factor.

• Options
    I see Honda just lowered their FIT EV price to $259 + tax. Includes maintenance, collision insurance, & a home charger (which you must pay to have installed). 82 miles per charge (claimed by the EPA). Unlimited miles! I think my 65 mile per day round trip commute to work would be cutting it a little too close.

• Options
    what, you don't want to run out of juice 6 blocks from the store? Can't imagine why!

could certainly work for me as a spare car to have around. I just don't need one that bad.

• Options

• Options
    Ha! I can just see that conversation with my Dad.

"You're late. What happened? Wait, don't tell me..." As he shakes his head

• Options
    Not bad.. premium package, leather, bun warmers.. no xenons, tho..

We looked at an '05 with 109K miles, a couple of months ago.. Similar, stick shift, but with xenons and a roof rack.. not as nice, cosmetically as this one.. asking $13.5K.

At 11K asking, seems decent..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I have a 33 mile r/t commute. That would be perfect, if
    I needed a car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    if I needed a car..

Does anyone on this thread ever NEED a car when they buy one? :-)
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI