Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    I have same car as you GLS 4cly and transmission shifted oddly at 1st, but corrected itself after several thousand miles. This is with 3 different people driving it. I think it's just a matter of breaking in.
  • Options
    jdenjden Member Posts: 14
    In the 2007 Sonata brochure, it says that the GLS model only comes with the regular cloth material. The 2006 GLS model comes with the premium cloth material. I wish they would have included the premium cloth as an upgrade option for the 2007 along with the auto dimming mirror with compass and Homelink system, which is not available on the 2007 GLS model.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Did you actually see a 2007 GLS, and if so does the cloth look like the cloth on the 2006 GLS or the GL?

On the trick mirror, you might check with the dealer to see if it can be added as an accessory--I have seen that done with many other cars, since it's just replacing the mirror and connecting it to a power supply.

The 2007 SE does have the same cloth as the 2006 GLS, FWIW.
  • Options
    jdenjden Member Posts: 14
    I have not yet seen the 07 GLS interior cloth, however the brochure's color combination and texture of the 07 cloth is exactly as the brochure's color combination and texture of the 06 GL. Nice to see that the 17" alloys are available on the 07 GLS as an upgraded package. I think the 06 GLS wheels are plain.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry you lost your reply. You may have tried this, but in case it happens again, frequently the Back button will get you back somewhere where all or part of it still exists. Unfortunately, this does not always work with IE the way it does with other browsers (like Firefox), but it's worth a try in that situation.
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    Thanks for the response Pat. I don't know what I did wrong. But the wife was calling me to dinner and I acted to quickly and lost the whole thing.

Not an uncommon occurrence for this old man and all the "buttons" one encounters today!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, wives and dinner are certainly priorities!! ;)
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    That's because the '07 GLS is the same car as the '06 GL. The '06 GLS is now the SE and the '06 LX is now the limited.

Hyundai has renamed the trim levels, presumably to to be consistant from one model to another.
  • Options
    Except the SE is not available as an I4 like the '06 GLS was.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Just checked my local (relatively small town in southern NJ)Hyundai dealer's inventory.

He has 24 '07's (15 Accents and 9 Entourages) and a whopping 261 '06's still in stock.

Makes me think the '06 rebates are going to be around (and possibly increased) for some time.
  • Options
    walt235walt235 Member Posts: 19
    If you look at Hyundai's site, you can bring up specials by what area of the country you're in. In my case, I know that the dealership I'm working with is sweating the lack of rebates right now, because they don't have a single 06 on the lot, or any of their other locations. I hope the rebates change at the end of the month for their sake. I'd hate to see them have to cough up between $3000-$4000 to paint my car, just so that I can trade it at another dealership. I'd "almost" feel bad if that happened. ;)
  • Options
    silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    Just filled up my 06 Sonata LX and my gas gauge only shows a half a tank. Your message 1926 stated the same problem. What was the solution to correct it?
  • Options
    engineer941engineer941 Member Posts: 10
    I see from messages on this board that some have no problem with the Hitchs supplied by Hidden Hitch/Drawtight/Reese. I did and at least one other on this board did. And I had no problem with the Curt supplied one. So likely there are some hitchs out there with the "design fault" and some with it corrected. Or is it the Sonatas are made with different geometry for the attach points? I don't know. Just be aware that you may have a problem and you may not.
    As to towing - Hyundai dealers supply an approved hitch so it must be ok - Sonatas are rated for Class 1 only - I think it is 2000 lbs towing weight and 200 lbs tongue weight (means the load must be balanced on the trailer wheels). I only got it so far for a bike rack, with wiring for future potential uses.
    Yes the wiring kit was supplied and installed by Curt and put on by the Installer I used.
  • Options
    feizhigaofeizhigao Member Posts: 13
    How much is the hitch and installation? I would like to get one. Can you put a cooler or piece of luggage on the bike rack one?
  • Options
    engineer941engineer941 Member Posts: 10
    Search the word "hitch" on "search this discussion" and you will see all the different comments including cost. I commented on installation cost in Ontario.

The trailer hitch stores have product on display and catalogues from different suppliers for different things to attach to the hitch. The bike rack is for bikes - but there is an attachment for snow boards/skis that fits on top of the bike rack.
  • Options
    jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    I've noticed something about my sunroof on GLS V6. Temps around here have been in the high 90s. When I go to my car after work and it has been sitting in the hot sun for nine hours, there is a popping noise coming from the area just behind the sunroof. I assume it is heat related since I don't hear it in the mornings after the car has been in the garage all night. Has anyone else noticed this with theirs? Any idea as to what it might be?
  • Options
    knsgeeknsgee Member Posts: 21
    Yo Mamamia,
    I live in Southern Ontario about 100 miles East of Toronto.
    I think I got a much better deal in States than I could have obtained in Canada. Dealers in Ontario were letting me walk away and never bothered with any counter offers after I offered them $26500. all in, for Sonata GLS V6. The best I got was that one salesman thought he could get close to 27000(I suspect on the high side)but it would have to be approved by manager.
    I ended up purchasing my GLS V6 Sonata from dealer in Atlanta,GA. ( I had another reason for going down there) for $17100.U.S. all in except for sales tax which I will have to pay when I register it.(I am fairly sure that I could have done a bit better on that price even, however time constraints and impression that I had a pretty good deal as it was, precluded any further haggling on my part. Also of course had to pay $206.90 to RIV and 6% GST as well as $100. tax for air.
    I will incur some extra expenses with modifying car to Canadian specs such as the DRL's and possibly a few other minor details which I will find out from RIV.
    The procedures as listed at RIV site www.riv.ca are pretty well described and for anyone else anticipating doing this, make sure US customs where you are going to depart USA have copy of title document, MSO, 72 hours prior to your intended time of departure. Some of posts will accept faxed doc others will not.
    Also ensure that letter or correspondence stating that there are no outstanding recalls in effect for subject vehicle originates with manufacturer ie in my case with letter head from Hyundai.
    All the best........................ knsgee
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I will incur some extra expenses with modifying car to Canadian specs such as the DRL's

Yo knsgee, Why do you think you'll need to invest money in modifying the car to have DRL? Isn't driving with your light on the ON position permanently giving you the same results? If the car has Auto Shut Off lights (which it has) than you don't have to worry about it, ever.

I see around here some cars driving during the day with DRL which are so BRIGHT, that they are practically as strong as regular low beam headlights, so I don't see why you can't use your low beam as DRL... No cop there would care to distinguish between your low beams and "real" DRL....
  • Options
    mamamia2
    I could live with your suggestion but obviously that would give the driver the option of not having the lights on during the daylight hours, or any other time for that matter, and would not produce the result that the Canadian law desires ,that being the lights to be on when ever engine is running. I also think the module controlling the DRL's operates in such a manner that the headlights are actually on at a reduced strength something like 50% or 75%.
    Perhaps the vehicles you have observed have circumvented the law by the methods already discussed and as such the lights are brighter than they need to be, yet again after saying that and the intent of the law is to increase the visibility of the vehicle in order to help prevent collisions than one would think the brighter the better up to a point. The other factor with your suggestion of leaving headlights on is that vehicle must be inspected to ensure it operates as the powers to be dictate and obviously implementing your suggestion would not dupe the inspectors. Cheers knsgee
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    The so-called "enthusiasts" aren't too smart. The V6 Sonata will easily do 137, the electronically limited top speed.

Here's proof it can go 133 pretty darn quick, but it wasn't topped out. 133 MPH Sonata
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    What is the total cost so far for importing the car before any mods to bring it up to Canadian standards.
    $17,100 U.S. = about $19,500 CDN. You mentioned sales tax is that a U.S. tax? What about plates, and insurance? Does the U.S. car come with KPH as well as MPH. I tested a 2005 Altima and it only had KPH here in Canada which is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] when driving in the U.S. I have been looking at some cars in Florida, used car dealer. 4 or 5 years old, large land cruisers. No rust, low miles, retirees car that no longer can drive or left our fine blue planet. I don't give a rats a** about the price of gas if the car is a bargin, drive in luxury and comfort. Isn't that what it's about.
    Thanks
  • Options
    c_alanc_alan Member Posts: 2
    link title

"Some automotive experts have questioned whether Pargo's 2006 Hyundai Sonata could reach 147 mph, saying federally mandated speed limiters would have kept the car to no higher than 135 to 137 mph."

lucky for Me, I know the exact location of those pesky cameras
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Oh yeeaah.... but did you try running at 135+ mph?? ;);)
  • Options
    nifty56
    I calculated my cost in Canadian for purchase as $19046.43.
    $17083.US (actual price paid dealer) converted @ 1.115 official exchange rate for 03 Jul. I was not subject to sales tax in US or at least Georgia as I was exporting the car, but of course will have to pay Ontario sales tax of 8%when I register the car here. At the border must pay 6% GST down from 7% on 01 Jul. Also as previously stated had to pay excise tax of $100.Cdn for air as well as send RIV a cheque for $206.70 to cover their admin costs as well as cost of inspection.
    I do not know how much the DRL's are going to cost me at this point however I suspect that all required mods will be less than $300. The Sonata I purchased had speedometer in both MPH and KMH so no problem there however I understand I will have to get decal to indicate that odometer is in miles to protect purchasers on resale(s). Cost of required decals are supposedly incorporated into the $206.70 already paid to RIV. There may be other decals required to point out safety features/warnings airbag etc. in FRENCH.
    Temp tag provided by dealer and any cost already incorporated. Insurance coverage provided by existing policy on other vehicles.
    So all in all even tho final numbers not known I expect I saved in excess of $3000. CDN, however by now someone will surely have bought one in Canada for less than whatI actually paid or at least will claim to have done so!!
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    A 2006 Civic we own has the option to toggle between miles and km. for both the odometer and speedometer and F. and C. for the outside temps. Perhaps the Sonata, having a digital odometer, can do the same thus saving you having to buy this decal?
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Going to see dealer today. Thought I could use info during negotiations. Thanks!
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    I went through the same exact problem with my Hidden Hitch, however, it only APPEARS the holes do not line up. I loosely installed the bolt on one side and used my jack to lift up the other side until the hole lined up. It was more work than any other hitch I've installed, but now it is fine.
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Thanks for the info. What about the new car warranty. I hear some manufacturers will not honour warranty if the car was bought ouside of Canada.
  • Options
    kmonniakmonnia Member Posts: 18
    I have the sliding armrest in my '06 Sonata. If I open the top section, there is a small compartment on the underside when you open it. Does anyone know what this is for? It's too small for CD's. I was thinking to hold tissues or something. Just curious.

Thanks
  • Options
    Tissues, cell phones, PDAs, receipts, any other stuff of rather small size that you see fit to put in there. There is a similar kind of compartment in my Elantra and Mazda 626, and I use those to hide my headset for my cell phone, the phone itself sometimes, and other odds and ends.
  • Options
    nacenace Member Posts: 45
    i did not realize that automatic door locks are not standard equipment my sonata 06,gls. any information regarding aftermarket installation and cost is appreciated.
    thank you
  • Options
    tarheel96tarheel96 Member Posts: 17
    GLS comes standard with power locks and keyless entry. What are you referring to when you say "automatic" locks? Are you referring to automatic locking once the vehicle reaches a certain speed? This can be programmed at your dealership - usually for no cost.
  • Options
    jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    My dealer wants to charge me about $40 to program the auto locks. Had I known this feature was even an option before I bought the car I might have negotiated it into the purchase. I haven't tried to deal directly with my sales guy yet to see about having it programmed at no charge.
  • Options
    The auto locks are a standard feature. They are not an option. They can be set to engage at a few different speeds (your choice of the speed you want). That, apparantly, is why the factory ships the cars with the feature turned off. The programming should not take more than 5 minutes. This has been extensively discussed previously. Try doing a search for more info.
  • Options
    nifty 56

Yes, that may be a problem with some manufacturers and I am not exactly happy with the only official correspondence that I have from Hyundai.
    I obtained e-mails from both Hyundai America and Hyundai Canada that ant warranty work required could be performed in Canada. I would have liked to have more formal form of correspondence stating that however have not received any to date.
    I suppose if all else fails and I have a serious problem I could always return vehicle to states for warranty work. For me I could get to Hyundai dealer in US in about 1 to 2hours.In meantime I'm hoping that all that I have researched is correct and Hyundai now producing solid top quality vehicles and no problems will occur. Cheers knsgee
  • Options
    nehcnehc Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    I have found this website for just few weeks, so I only know little about cars.
    This afternoon, I called 15 dealers, and the best deal I got is $15800 for a new 2006 sonata GL. The dealer said that's the OTD price.
    I have no idea if this deal is too great to believe. :confuse:
    The dealership is almost 2 hours away. Should I go?
  • Options
    Sorry,the number I was offered should be this:

the dealer just faxed the invoice and his offer:

Invoice shows:

MSRP $ 18,795
    Dealer invoice: $17,357

but the dealer offered me $16486 (=14986 + 1500; don't understand why he added
    1500 and how he came up with 14986) as the selling price,

then plus tax and titile fee.

- $1500 rebate

Balance due: $15,5**, which we agree as the OTD

will drive round for more than 3 hours to buy this car within this week? :confuse:
    any advice&comments before i go?
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Not sure but it looks like he is adding the rebate back onto the 14,986 so the 14,986 is the price after the rebate. However you are still getting it for almost $2,400 under invoice. Check the prices paid forum to see if thats a good deal.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
  • Options
    The dealer is showing you the cost before tax & title. Many states charge sales tax on the price BEFORE rebate. So, he's showing you the cost and then adding back the rebate to show the amount the tax is based upon and then subtracting the rebate.

It looks like he is offering you the car for $14,986 plus tax (on $16486) plus title fee. That looks like a very good deal IMO.
  • Options
    Thank you all very much!

But, why the dealer did not write $600 destination fee and $299 documentation fee?
    I call him to ask my questions, and he just told me 'everything included".

Hum...I am happy but also worry.
    Anyway, I will visit him to check it out.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    From what you've posted, the dealer is including destination and documentation fee in the quoted price. If so, he is being very upfront with you and not trying to pull some of the shady tricks we hear about all too often.
  • Options
    I read the fax again, and found some weird information:

1.The dealer disclaims all warranties.
    2.Limitation of remedies provision for consquential damages.
    3.Acknowledgment that the vehicle being purchased may have sustained body damage.

The third one is the most weird, because the fax shows this car is a new one. so I really don't understand these info.
  • Options
    If I were you I would call that dealer, ask to talk with the sales manager, and get the straight story on that car. Something is very fishy...
  • Options
    1) the manufacturer, not the dealer provides the warranty, no problem.

2) Probably a legal requirement, again falling back on the manufacturer.

3) Also, probably a legal requirement. Doesn't mean the car actually sustained body damage. If there had been any damage it could have been as simple as a cracked tail light lens.

Your concerns, while valid, all appear to be a result of the fear of trial lawyers suing somebody's butt off.
  • Options
    good advice but i check the VIN at carfax.com and everything is fine. only two records:

June 30: 5 miles, vehicle offered for sale.
    july 20: no recalls open for repair
  • Options
    I would proceed with caution. That third one would really worry me.

• Options
    Just remember that carfax may not have everything about the car in their records, they even have that disclaimer on their website. It is possible that a car can get crushed into a cube, rebuilt and never have that show up on a carfax report.

• Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...I am not exactly happy with the only official correspondence that I have from Hyundai. I obtained e-mails from both Hyundai America and Hyundai Canada that ant warranty work required could be performed in Canada..."

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but print out and hang on to your email replies - they're probably sufficient acknowledgement. Keep duplicate copies in your car's glove compartment to present to dealerships. For peace of mind maybe try the snail-mail approach with Hyundai Canada. If you receive a snail-mail reply, however brief, on Hyundai Canada's letterhead that Canadian Hyundai dealers will honor warranty claims, I believe that would be irrefutable proof of Hyundai Canada's obligation in the event of any unlikely problem.

Addendum: found this in my '03 Sonata's warranty supplement booklet - betcha your warranty supplement booklet (hidden somewhere in the inner bowels of the vinyl document folder that also contains the owner's manual) has the same wording or something very similar.

"WARRANTY JURISDICTION

These warranties apply to vehicles manufactured to United States specifications which are distributed by Hyundai Motor America and registered and normally operated in the 50 United States and Washington D.C. Vehicles manufactured to other than United States specifications, distributed by other than HMA, and registered and normally operated outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C., are entitled to warranty service on the basis of the warranty applicable to such other distributing country."

While this doesn't precisely duplicate your situation, it does address the prospect that had you purchased your Hyundai in Canada and then emmigrated to the U.S., U.S. Hyundai dealerships would be obligated to perform warranty service on your Canadian spec. Hyundai for the duration of its warranty. I strongly suspect there's a reciprocal agreement between Hyundai America and Hyundai Canada to the inverse - that U.S. spec. Hyundais which are brought into Canada will likewise be covered for warranty claims through Canadian Hyundai dealers.