Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Better have it checked, there could be a problem with the OCS. One thing to check first is that the passenger is seated properly in the seat, e.g. centered in the seat, both legs on the seat. But it seems unlikely the OCS would mis-read a 210 lb. person even if they aren't centered in the seat!
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    My 06 Sonata LX indicates even a briefcase weighing less than 20 lbs, if it isn't on the seat correctly, oh course I can move it around so it doesn't light the "passenger light". I found this out this week while carrying some x-rays etc to another doctors office. I would think you may have a problem, worth checking out.
    van
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    A small bag of Groceries activates my sensor. And on occasion I've seen a ghost make the light blink red. Very scary. Love the new Sonata! :shades: (Shade presented in Deepwater Blue!)
  • Options
    kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    Can someone tell me if the talked about improvements for 2007 were made to the audio steering wheel controls such as changing radio stations and CD track changing.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    If the steering wheel shot in the '07 Sonata sales brochure's any guide, nothing's changed.
  • Options
    The mode selector was reported to be a "late availability" feature on the '07 Sonata. I guess it's not late enough yet.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    New new steering while controls will probably come with the new XM radio stereos that will be here within months.
  • Options
    But what will happen when & if Sirius buys XM?. You know talking about controls on a steering wheel as a condition for purchasing the Sonata is just beyond me... These will be the same people complaining next year when another new button is put on the Car. And last I checked the steering wheel is used mainly for steering. :confuse:
  • Options
    cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    or folding outside mirrors.... :confuse:
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    You know talking about controls on a steering wheel as a condition for purchasing the Sonata is just beyond me..

I know what you mean, how these people were able to drive in the dark days of the 10's, 20's......80's and 90's when there was nothing on the steering wheel?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I know what you mean, how these people were able to drive in the dark days of the 10's, 20's......

Well, for one thing, there was a lot less traffic....but you needed a really long, long cord so as to keep the radio plugged in. :)
  • Options
    But you needed a really long, long cord so as to keep the radio plugged in

Or you could just wait until 1930 for the Motorola model 5T71 car radio.

• Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    This appears to be a Hyundai problem across several model lines, at least in the Sonata and 2006 Elantra. The same thing occurs in my 2006 Elantra GLS, and I recently received a mailing with a nice foldout slick sheet showing how the passenger is supposed to sit in the seat. Hyundai recognizes it has a problem, but has issued no recalls to my knowledge. When my wife and I recently test drove a 2007 Sonata SE (we're considering the purchase of another Hyundai this December), the same thing occured in it as well. The "Passenger Air Bag Off" light stays illuminated, until she shifts her body and repositions her feet on the floor as per the diagram in the foldout mailed to us by Hyundai. Not acceptable -- yes, in my opinion. NOTE: No recall, but a TSB has been issued, at least for the Elantra. The seat must be removed and the seat bottom returned to Hyundai in CA for updates and/or repairs. It cannot be done at the dealer.
  • Options
    As I recall with the Elantra at least, the OCS can be re-programmed at the owner's request, but it's one of those "Warning--we're not responsible for the results!" things because it makes the OCS turn the seatbelt on at a lower weight than is normal. So it wouldn't be something you would want to do if you ever have small people in the passenger seat (not a good idea anyway) or like to place objects like bags/purses on the passenger seat.
  • Options
    Just for fun I tested mine today. My 60 lb grandson can't activate the airbag when he sits in the seat. So I loaded 20 lb bag of rice in his lap (yeah he complained) but the sensor finally went on. After some adjustment for weight it seems 75 lbs is the cut off point. I can't imagine you guys having so much trouble with a car. I still can't find anything wrong or ugly or irritating about mine. SONATA'S RULE!!!
  • Options
    If Roy won $5000 in his Class Action Suit against Hyundai for this known problem (the rest of us won a piece of paper to put with our other important papers), then I am going to sue Hyundai. Of course a Chiwawa make my sensor sense! :)
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I know the Sonata already comes with the longest warranty in the mid-size class. It's 5/50 bumper to bumper and 10/100 for engine and transmission, right? My question is this: Is it possible to buy an extended warranty directly from Hyundai that will take you to 10/100 bumper to bumper. These kinds of extended warranties are available from Honda ("HondaCare") and sometimes can be had for only about c.$800 for an 8 year plan (that's as long as they go). What does Hyundai have, and where can you get a good price?

Thanks.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Yes you can buy an extended warranty from Hyundai. However I would not advise taking any extended warranty.

• Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Or you could just wait until 1930 for the Motorola model 5T71 car radio.

Excellent memory SW. I don't go back that far. ;)
  • Options
    The bumper-to-bumper warranty is 5/60k.

If you decide to go for the Hyundai extended warranty, be sure to shop around. You can buy it from ANY Hyundai dealer, and you don't have to buy it right when you buy the car. You might call around to the finance people at several dealerships to get quotes. You can use the quotes as leverage with the dealer from which you buy the car.
  • Options
    Excellent memory SW. I don't go back that far.

Not that good, its just a have a friend who has a lincoln with one.

• Options
    perma88perma88 Member Posts: 23
    DO any members on this board whose in Korea that can help me order the 06 sonata side folding mirrors. I know the side folding mirrors are available in korea for their domestic version sonata. Also, any contacts, leads or links are appreciated too........ :) thanks
  • Options
    rl55rl55 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2007 sonata SE with a sunroof. The dealer has promised to put on the external sun roof wind deflector on my car when I get the first oil change. It is free. Does it make a difference when the sunroof is open or closed. Is there less noise. Would you get one if it was free.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I would pass on this free option. The sunroof is designed with a front edge deflector that reduces tubulence. Plus, the external deflectors detract from the car's appearance IMO. More, importantly, it may be applied using sheet metal screws, and I wouldn't want that on my new car.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    It ain't free. You paid for it in the price you paid for the car. I don't remember the cost but you can check it at hyundaiusa.com. I think it's about $85 (MSRP) for this option.
  • Options
    rl55rl55 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, I do know they use two screws. My main question is does it cut down on wind noise when sunroof is open. Is there an advantage to having this deflector and I know that the sunroof comes with the small one that pops up when opened. It is free, the dealer offered it to me as I recommended the car to someone in the showroom. This was after the sale of the car to me
  • Options
    flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    DO any members on this board whose in Korea that can help me order the 06 sonata side folding mirrors. I know the side folding mirrors are available in korea for their domestic version sonata. Also, any contacts, leads or links are appreciated too........ thanks

Check out the site called Sharkracing.com and click on (Sonata all years). There you will find a folding "L.E.D. Turn signal" folding mirror you can purchase from them for a 2006 Sonata. I've purchase alot of assessories for my Tiburon from them and I have been quite happy with their products.
    Another site is KSpec.com. It too have various assessories for your Sonata, however they do not have folding mirror options available for purchase. But you can keep those site in mind in case there is something appealing you like to add to your Sonata. :)
  • Options
    fk322fk322 Member Posts: 15
    The wind deflector cuts down on wind noise tremendously!! I had one put on (free-only paid wholesale price of deflector). It really does make a noticable difference in wind noise.
  • Options
    )) "...it may be applied using sheet metal screws, and I wouldn't want that..." ((

My '94 Sonata had two sunroofs (the first and last I'll ever permit on any car I ever own again ;)). The deflector used a pair of clamps with stainless steel machine screws that threaded through a threaded hole in those clamps to "lock" against unpainted stainless steel sunfoof assembly sheet metal from one direction and applied downward locking force against the polycarbonate plastic deflector. There was no penetration of body sheet metal - therefore no paint or body damage and no water leakage danger either. Whether Hyundai's using a different attachment system now that drives a sheet metal screw into a painted roof surface, I don't know, but I also don't know why they would, either.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    ....(the first and last I'll ever permit on any car I ever own again ....

A couple of years ago two teenagers in my town were traveling at an excessive rate of speed down an open road at 2AM with an open sunroof.

The car flipped over and the driver was decapitated. His head was found in a wooded area well off the road.
  • Options
    Unfortunately poor judgment and inexperience too frequently result in catastrophe when combined with youthful excess. That's a very sobering and sad outcome. That kid's grieving family will never fully recover from their loss.
  • Options
    timnielsentimnielsen Member Posts: 26
    My 2006 Sonata just turned 15,000 miles today, thought I'd post an update. I've been overall disappointed with the car for a few reasons, and if the car had any resale value, would consider selling it for something else.

1) The car has continued to develop various noises, and literally now the car sounds as bad as any car I've ever had, including my Mercury Monarch I owned when I was 18. And THAT was a noisy car. My 2000 Sonata and 2003 sonata were so much quieter (in regard to rattles and such). This car sounds like a jalopy.

The sunroof flexes, squeaks, rattles. There as many others have noted, very loud low end 'thumps' from the rear of the car, and over every bump, a secondary 'hit' that sounds like the whole rear end of the car is loose. The center arm rest, horribly designed, and now rattles if you touch it at all. I now have some strange buzz at about 2000 rpms...

Shifting. The car's transmission is severly flawed. Downshifting at hightway speeds is downright dangerous. Almost a 2 second lag while the car searches for the lower gear before I have any power at all. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is abnormally slow on this car too.

Gas Mileage continues to far underperform estimates. Which is normal I know for many cars, but mine is way lower. Averaging about 18-19 in mixed local and freeway driving. 25 on the highway. A far cry from the 20/30 as advertised.

The gastank sloshing noise is horrendous, and completely unnacceptible in any car.

The stereo is abysmal. No low end at all.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I am having a running argument concerning the operation of a rev limiter. I say a rev limiter works whether you miss a shift up OR down shifting and the engine enters an over rev area but I have been told that no, it only works on "upshift" missed shifts and if you accidentally hit 3rd instead of 6th at 7500 RPM...boom. This information is supposed to be in the owners manual of the car in question a 2006 Honda Si coupe. I am also told the momentum of the car and engine shock of hitting a lower gear rather than the intended higher gear will "blow right through" a limiter and crank/piston speed can only be as slow or fast as road speed..in other words unless you instantly de- clutch at 110 mph if you hit 3rd instead of 5th no rev limiter will work..off topic but what do you all think??? Indulge me this off topic post as the argument is getting heated...
  • Options
    askeramotaaskeramota Member Posts: 1
    Yeah ive had my car over 17k miles so far.

1. The tranny lag is definitely a Drag
    2. The sloshing sound is also not fun, but my stereo is usually up load enough to ignore it
    3. I never had the thumping sound and dont have rattles in my car.
    4. My sunroof has never flexed and always worked just fine.
    5. Gas mileage on the highway is about 27MPG if im going 80... if i go about 50 then i actually get about 30-31 MPG City gas mileage, if i decide to drive like a grandma i can get better than 21MPG... if i drive normal i get about 19.
    6. Most stereos on new cars suck unless you get the upgrade... but being a stereo afficionado, i can tell you that theres no way i would ever upgrade a stereo at the dealer..id rather build it and thats how you get the proper sound.
    7. Only otherp roblem i had cropped up yesterday... my ABS and ESC lights came on... as soon as i turned the car off and turned it on, lights dissapeared... wonder if this is a sign that theres something up with the braking sensors/system.
  • Options
    Have you asked the dealer about the TSB for the 5->2 downshift re-programming? Maybe that would help.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Sorry, but you lose. Look at it this way, the rev limiter cuts off the spark to an engine which is increasing in rpms due to its own internal operation. In other words, if you step on the gas when the car is in neutral, the rpms should go to the limit and then stop as there is no more combustion since there is no spark. On the other hand, if you mistakenly shift into third gear at 100mph, assuming no slippage in the drive train or tires, you're going to over rev. There will be no spark or combustion, but the direct link between the engine and road thru the rear end, transmission and clutch will force the engine to extreme rpm.
  • Options
    cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    My 2006 Sonata LX has about 15,000 miles. I did not understand what you were talking about. My Sonata is as quite as my 2002 ES300, which cost me twice as much, for both city and highway driving. Its transmission shifts so smoothly that I can not feel the gear change. It seems to me that you posted an assessment of Toyota’s transmission (Read Edmund's posts on Toyota transmission) for Sonata. On gas mileage, I believe that you will get 25 mpg on highway if driving Sonata at 100 mph. I got 31mpg@65mph, which is close to 32mpg@70mph of 2002 ES300 (CR- 34mpg@65mph) that uses air-fuel ratio sensors ($300 each, dying very quickly) instead of regular oxygen sensors ($50 - $80 each, seems last forever) used in Sonata. Gas tanks of all cars (Toyota, Honda, …) that I own make noise when filled up.
  • Options
    )) "... the rev limiter cuts off the spark to an engine which is increasing in rpms due to its own internal operation. In other words, if you step on the gas when the car is in neutral, the rpms should go to the limit and then stop as there is no more combustion since there is no spark. On the other hand, if you mistakenly shift into third gear at 100mph, assuming no slippage in the drive train or tires, you're going to over rev..." ((

Fortunately, automotive engineers are smarter than that. ;) In the former, fuel flow from the injectors is abruptly scaled back by the ECM to prevent over-reving the engine - the engine would continue to operate, but at no greater speed than its programmed maximum rpm. In the latter, the ECM and TCM acting in concert will prevent the transmission from engaging a lower gear range that would result in over-reving the engine. The most likely scenario would be the transmission slipping harmlessly into "Neutral" until the car slowed sufficiently to engage the chosen gear without danger of that gear range resulting in engine damage.
  • Options
    I have only 1,600 miles on 2006 V6 Sonata. Don't have a sunroof and never will again. Today my car on the interstate managed 30.6 mpg at a 70 mph. I drove it 90 miles. No rattles, no thumps, no slosh, no transmission lag no hesitation. Car is solid, quiet, smooth. Stereo sounds pretty darn good to me and it is the standard unit. I catch am stations 130 miles away, FM stations up to 75 miles, clearly. Sounds like you have a lemon and need some arbitration, or at least some major time with it in the hands of the dealer.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    If you'll read the post to which I replied (6337), you'll find this statement "I say a rev limiter works whether you miss a shift up OR down shifting". Ergo, a manual transmission. Ergo, no TCM.

I'll stand by my statement to the original poster. "Assuming no slippage" includes no slippage out of gear here. You're going to over rev. Been there, done that.

Rev limiters can use either fuel metering or ignition control. The one on my manual transmission car works with the ignition.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    ...Some people are just never happy, looking for things to get upset about... Is there one car that you actually LIKED and were HAPPY with, timnielsen?

BUT THEN, some of your complaints ARE valid, though, the thumps from the rear of the car, which other call K-Thunk is actually a KNOWN issue with the 6-cyl. model. Only last week I read in another Sonata board that Hyundai finally has come up with an actual CURE, which is to a install a rubber bushing on top of both rear strut mounts. Hyundai is supposedly shipping those from Korea to be arriving to the USA shortly. Check with your dealer soon. And you could also raise some of the other issues with him too...

That is, of course (since your Sonata has no resale value), if you haven't donated your Sonata to your favorite charity in the meantime...
  • Options
    hsudoghsudog Member Posts: 29
    My 2006 GLS V6 has about 10,000 miles now. I do agree about the lack of resale value. Recently looked into trading it in from a Camry Hybrid, but was only offered $13k!

My gas mileage is pretty good - 27 MPG, mostly rush-hour highway traffic with lots of stop/go traffic.

Haven't noticed the sloshing sound.

No squeaking, rattling except for weird intermittent "tap-tap" sound from rearview mirror stem.

Stereo ... eh ... not great, but didn't expect much from it.

Good luck with figuring out what do about your car. Resale for 06's is not going to improve with Hyundai's cash rebates, owner loyalty rebates on 2007 models.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have investigated this issue further and Honda says...I am wrong!! As someone has noted it will only be effective (with a manual transmission)during a blown upshift. If you badly blow a downshift i.e. 5th to 2nd or 3rd at very high RPM you will certainly hit 9 or 10K RPM..this rotational inertia of the crank and pistons, not to mention the valve train will continue unless you instantly declutch. I have learned something new says the "old dog" !!!
  • Options
    While the Camry hybrid looks to be a nice compromise between great fuel economy and decent performance only the moderately well-to-do can afford it since it starts in the middle to upper $20K range and can easily exceed $30K. When, oh when will Hyundai offer something similar? I am following the hybrid trend to see how the batteries are holding out etc. In my experience Toyota sales personel are particularly snooty about the certainty THEY sell the absolute best cars on earth so a low ball offer on trade for your Hyunda does not surprise me....this on what is probably a $30K car. Keep the Sonata...gas prices are going down....for now
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    Where is the extra savings in hybrid cars right now? The increased fuel economy is offset by the high price of the vehicle. I would assume most people who bought a 2006 Sonata will not be looking for a new replacement vehicle for quite some time...unless you are one of those people who have a need to waste $$$ every few years for a new look.
  • Options
    fk322fk322 Member Posts: 15
    I was going to hold off for awhile to post my evaluation on my 06 Sonata GLS but felt compelled to do so now after reading this one. I have 11,000 miles on mine and absolutely love it. So far (yes, its a bit early still) the 06 Sonata has been the most enjoyable car I have owned. The ride is smooth and acceleration is very impressive. Engine noise is virtually non existant. Road noise is muted well. No problems with the tires. IMO the seats are very comfortable although different from other cars I have owned. I still laugh at the post that described the seat material as "Grandpa's bath robe." The bath robe is quite comfortable!
    MPG is around 27 MPG in mostly freeway driving. Not really disappointing when you consider this is a LARGE vehicle with a 3.3 liter engine. The stereo is average.
    I have not had any "shimmy" type problems with the transmission although their is a SLIGHT "hiccup" during initial acceleration on a cold engine. I do hear the well documented sloshing sound from the gas tank but only when driving up my drive way after filling the tank. I have a sunroof with deflector and it has been trouble free. No noise.
    The only thing that really bothered me about the Sonata was the lack of a darker factory tint. The windows are very "fishbowl" clear from the factory. I had them tinted after purchase.
    I too have previously owned a Sonata (2002). The 2006 Sonata is clearly head and shoulders a better vehicle.
  • Options
    hsudoghsudog Member Posts: 29
    From trade press, Hyundai unlikely to bring hybrid Sonata to market until 2009 model year at the earliest. Reason is appreciating Won, which increases relative cost of hybrid powertrain, which Hyundai developed themselves. Current development is focused on a Hybrid Accent.

I am hoping that the $5,000 to $7,000 premium people are paying for the Camry Hybrid will change Hyundai brass's minds, as TCH's are going for MSRP or MORE. Nothing burnishes a brand image than buyers paying MSRP for the vehicle.

As far as Toyota dealers, I don't think they are necessarily snooty, they are just reacting to what the market will bear. I wasn't too upset about the $13k trade-in (Edmunds TMV was $14.7k), as I was sure I could get close to Edmunds' price with some maneuvering, but paying $29,000 for a Hybrid to save $700 a year in gas didn't make financial sense.

Now if Hyundai had a $23,000 (market-price) Hybrid Sonata -- there would be a run on the dealerships! I'd be first in line. It's not so much the gas savings, as well as the gear-head factor (gotta have the latest technology!), as well as the feel-good factor from reducing carbon emissions, and knowing you can go on a road trip without filling up for 600+ miles.

For now, I'm definitely keeping the Sonata -- but if the TCH falls in price or a hybrid Sonata comes out - it's trade-in time!
  • Options
    billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Looks like Hyundai is ahead of the curve; the NHTSA is going to make ESC mandatory. Article is Here

I wonder if Hyundai can spin that - "Tomorrows safety today"?
  • Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Where is the extra savings in hybrid cars right now? The increased fuel economy is offset by the high price of the vehicle.

You are obviously ignoring the thousands in state and federal tax savings.....and the fact that most sane people aren't buying a new car to "save money" (unless they are trading in a large gas guzzler for a smaller, significantly more fuel efficient ride).
  • Options
    You are obviously ignoring the thousands in state and federal tax savings.

Even with the tax savings it could take years to recoup the extra money spent on a hybrid (if at all). Plus the tax savings will start disappearing very shortly.