Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Even with the tax savings it could take years to recoup the extra money spent on a hybrid (if at all).

Around 5 years for the Camry and Civic according to recent studies (for the average 12-15K per year driver). Hardly a long time.

Plus the tax savings will start disappearing very shortly.

Wrong. The federal portion for toyotas only will be cut in half after Sept 30, but state will not be affected. Honda and the other carmakers have yet to hit that threshold and won't until well into next year....

And once again.....THE GREAT MAJORITY OF HYBRID PURCHASERS ARE NOT DOING IT FOR MONEY SAVINGS. People really need to get this out of their heads. If someone only wanted to save money, they would hold onto their cars for 15-20 years at a time. Not the 3-4 years we currently are averaging.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    THE GREAT MAJORITY OF HYBRID PURCHASERS ARE NOT DOING IT FOR MONEY SAVINGS.

Could that be a subjective opinion or is there objective results to prove it.

If not for money then what....love for Al Gore?
  • Options
    beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Objective.

Go to sites like greenhybrid.com and see for yourself. I've been researching hybrids casually now for the last 9 mths or so, and most posters say the same thing. They are either doing it for (1) the technology, (2) the statement one can make, (3) the environment and (4) for having to purchase less fuel from our enemies (not for saving themselves money, but for giving less of it to "them").

Sure some want to save money on fuel, but this is either a lesser concern or it is the primary motivator for a small percentage, based off my research.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Wrong. The federal portion for toyotas only will be cut in half after Sept 30,

Well I did say starts to disappear not disappears.

but state will not be affected.

Not all states handle hybrids the same tax wise.

And once again.....THE GREAT MAJORITY OF HYBRID PURCHASERS ARE NOT DOING IT FOR MONEY SAVINGS.

Well I am mostly addressing the remarks about savings not taking in tax breaks.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Sure some want to save money on fuel, but this is either a lesser concern or it is the primary motivator for a small percentage, based off my research.

Yeah but it used to be whenever someone was praising their hybrid purchase there was always the "Look at the money I am saving on gas" statement placed somewhere in there. Of course it has stopped after it was shown that there really isn't a savings. But it was funny where people would say "I didn't buy it to save money" after they were shouting "I am saving so much money".

• Options
    rl55rl55 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know who manufactures the OEM 6disc cd/radio in the 2007 sonata.
  • Options
    morty66morty66 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a new 2006 Sonata GLS. They had to get the vehicle from another dealership. The odometer shows almost 1,700 miles. The other dealer is less than 200 miles from the dealer I bought it from. I bought the 100,000 extended warranty. Will they start the 100,000 miles warranty from zero miles or will they start it from the current odometer reading? The miles seem awfully high for a new car. Should I question the dealer on this when I pick it up in a few days?
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Usually the new car factory warranty starts with the mileage the car has when delivered to you. So, if the car had 1,700 miles, the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty should end for you at 61,700 miles if they are selling the car to you as a new car.
    The main problem with 1700 miles is that you have 1700 miles of wear and mileage depreciation already on the car, but you shouldn't have any less standard new car factory warranty coverage than if the car had a normal amount of miles like 10 or 20 miles.
    Often extended warrantys don't work that way, so that might terminate coverage right at 100,000 miles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I don't know if I consider the car as being new if it has that many miles on it. I'm wondering if some salesman was driving it for a month or so. I'm not sure if I should ask the dealer to knock several hundred off the price because of this. I'm also not sure if I'm locked into this car if I haven't signed the final paperwork. And I did buy the 100,000 warranty.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Are the cars so rare and hard to get where you live that you're forced to settle for one driven 1700 miles?
    That is really extremely high mileage for a car they're selling as a new car.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First, they should have told you the car they were getting for you had about 1500 miles on it.

Second, they should have told you (or you should have asked) how the car got those miles.

Third, you should demand that they start the warranty at 1700 miles and do something to make up for selling you a used car as new--e.g. a discount, service package, or something else you can both agree on.
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    Car dealers often sell "demos" as brand new cars with as many as 5,000 miles on them. They will still be titled as a new vehicle.
  • Options
    cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    ...unless you are one of those people who have a need to waste $$$ every few years for a new look.

Those crazy individuals who are hooked on perpetual car payments, that's who. Yeah, you know who you are!
  • Options
    cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    (1) the technology, (2) the statement one can make, (3) the environment and (4) for having to purchase less fuel from our enemies (not for saving themselves money, but for giving less of it to "them"). Oh come now, do you really buy into that? Technology?? The battery replacement as of this date is prohibitively expensive to make this "technology" worth the cost of up keep and initial investment. (2)The environment? Do you realize how many petrol fuel cars that would have to be replaced by hybrids to make ANY impact on the environment? A lot more than all the auto manufactures are producing now times 10. Oil reserves will be around for at least another 30 to 50 years minimum. The middle east and Venezuela are not bottomless pits and as of this week another field was discovered in the GOM to dwarf all the oil reserves in the United States combined to date. You want to fight radical Islamic Fundamentalism you will need more than buying less gasoline from them.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    In my area, south of Chicago to central IL, 2006 GLS's are extremely hard to come by. But, I think 1,700 miles is out-of-line to be delivered as a new car. It was either a salesperson's demonstrator (read: his/her car to use daily), or a car that's been test driven for months. If it was a demonstrator, it should have been sold as such. I hope you got an excellent deal.
  • Options
    I got less than a thousand knocked off the sticker, but did get the Hyundai rebate that they had offered on 2006 models. Since they were getting the car from another dealer, they said they had to have me commit to taking it before they would go get it. In fact I signed papers the day they told me about finding the car at another dealer. No mention was made of the miles when they told me about the car, they just said it was a new car located at another dealer. I guess that I have no leg to stand on since I signed the papers and will just have to take this car. Hoping maybe they will throw something in because of the miles, but thinking that is probably a long shot. Thanks for everyone's replies, I really appreciate your input.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    ......I guess that I have no leg to stand on since I signed the papers and will just have to take this car.....

The're screwing you. You signed for a "new" car...not a used one. 1500 miles is a used one.

At least, talk to a lawyer.

And If you didn't give them any money up front...let them sue you to take the car.

Had a friend who put down $500 for a leased Nissan. Then got a better deal from another dealer...when he asked for his $500 back from dealer #1 they refused. He wrote to the Nissan Company and they told dealer #1 to refund his $500 which they did.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out the Sonata Audio discussion. That would be a great place for your question.
  • Options
    shamtishamti Member Posts: 5
    I believe you have a right to complain. 1600 miles is too high to be considered a new car regardless of what the dealership says. They will say anything to sell you a car. I bought a GLS V6 with 1600 miles for the invoice amount minus the $2500 rebate, and a little bit more knocked off due to high miles/wear and tear. I also got window tinting and an oil change in my deal. I have read other people getting better deals, but I didn't buy at the end of the month or when there were any other dealer incentives in progress (that I knew of). Overall, my city tends to be pricey so I think my deal was good.

The dealership did tell me the car was used as a test car/demo so it had a reduced price to start with. Their dealership doesn't allow the sales managers to keep a car for 5000 miles for their personal use, like other car dealerships do, so I did worry initially about the break in. However, we usually buy used cars and for the price I paid, so it was cheaper to buy the new car with high miles with a full warranty then getting a used car without a full warranty. The dealership also used this car as an errand car and to drive drivers to another location to pick up cars from other dealerships. They had one other demo available as of yesterday- it was a light silver v6.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "Does anyone know who manufactures the OEM 6disc cd/radio in the 2007 sonata." ((

Unless Hyundai's changed suppliers for the '07 models, Clarion.
  • Options
    )) "Third, you should demand that they start the warranty at 1700 miles and do something to make up for selling you a used car as new--e.g. a discount, service package, or something else you can both agree on." ((

Maybe, maybe not. If the car had been used as a demo or executive car, but not registered, as far as most (all?) states are concerned, technically it's still a "new" car. (Anyone willing to bet that in either case the car had not had the livin' snot run out of it regularly during break-in? It's bad enough to nurse a new car through early teething problems, but to voluntarily take on the potential risks of early abuse-related wear during the entire break-in period borders on idiocy in my estimation.) If I were in morty66's shoes, I'd refuse delivery and demand my entire deposit back if any had been paid. There are just too many unsold Sonatas on dealership lots to willingly accept a car with that many miles on it. morty66, what you were told verbally means absolutely squat. Unless your copies of all signed paperwork specifically exclude your right to cancel prior to physically taking delivery of the car, you got a case, Bud. (I know - it's inconceivable to entertain the notion that a car dealership sales manager would lie to a customer. Whatever in the world could I be smoking?! ;))
  • Options
    rl55rl55 Member Posts: 8
    2007 Hyundai sonata SE with mats and the the premium package for $20,700. That includes all rebates. Taxes and registration not included. Also I get the 2.9% financing for 5 years. This what the the dealer has offered me.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    If it was a salesperson's demonstrator vehicle, I have some direct experience with this. I was a new car salesperson for a time, and our General Manager gave each salesperson a new car to drive as a demonstrator. It was not free however, as $50 per pay period (every two weeks) was deducted from our pay for the car. They paid insurance and gas costs. We could use it for driving back and forth to work, as well as for in town personal use. We could not use it for vacations or other trips. Although one can't assume this car wasn't abused, I can assure you that the demonstrator vehicles used by the salespersons at our dealersship were very well taken care of, and not abused. At the very first sign of abuse, or God forbid a traffic ticket, the salesperson lost the use of a demonstrator - permanently.
  • Options
    That's good to know, and I hope your former employer's philosophy is shared by the majority of car dealerships. However, it does not address the issue of demos. I've read too many accounts on other car forums of lookie-loozers who, with neither intent nor capability to committing to purchase, brag about taking new cars out and proceed to play Car & Driver "tester" with total disregard for their results to the eventual owners.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Additionally, I have had a certain amount of experience in driving to a distant dealer to trade car A for car B. Keep in mind this was many years ago (as the mention of the original Mustang 5.0 GT should say) and I was young and careless. I can assure you the thought of having that brand new 5.0 Mustang GT to drive, even for a while, was too much...yeah, break in proceedure was about the furtherest thing from my mind as I hit redline in all gears after burning off about 1000 miles of wear from the eventual owners rear tires...nope I DO NOT buy dealer trade cars for any reason. I'll wait until I get one as I want directly off the truck.
  • Options
    The car is used as far as being driven 1700 miles. It may never have been licensed, so technically it's "new" as far as the government is concerned, but it's a used car. The moment it drives off the lot it will be legally a used car with 1700 miles on it.

If it were me, I would demand some consideration for the fact the car has 1700 miles on it--if I really had to have that car.
  • Options
    It would legally be a used car once you drive off the lot if you have 2 miles on it...what's the difference. The 1700 miles on the odometer would be a haggling point in my opinion.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    There is also a certain maximum of miles that a new car is suppose to be sold with. I know in my state, IL, there is such a number, which is around 200 miles, if I'm not mistaken.

I think you should CALL THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, or call your state representative, or your state attorney, or do some Google on this issue.

The bottom line, I CAN'T believe someone would sell you a brand new car, for the price of a brand new car -- with 1,700 miles on it. It does NOT look like a fair deal.
  • Options
    The 1700 miles on the odometer would be a haggling point in my opinion.

Might be but it is an extra 1700 miles in depreciation.

• Options
    It would legally be a used car once you drive off the lot if you have 2 miles on it...what's the difference.

1698 miles.
  • Options
    Check the Hyundai Sonata: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

You ought to take a look at the entire group of Sonata discussions. You'll find lots of helpful conversations going on. You can use the Track This Group link to keep up with all of it. :-)
  • Options
    Looks like the dealership is going to take care of me. Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll see how the car does over the next 8-10 years. Everyone have a great weekend.
  • Options
    It would legally be a used car once you drive off the lot if you have 2 miles on it...what's the difference.

"Legally"??? You sure don't sound like a lawyer, or someone who knows anything about the law...
  • Options
    Once a car is titled, it is indeed a used car.
  • Options
    Dealers sell "demo" units as "brand-new" all the time with 5,000+ miles on them. A vehicle is "new" until it has been titled, regardless of the mileage. Welcome to the Land of Lincoln mamamia2!
  • Options
    Hahaha...yes, indeed :)
  • Options
    My wifes daily drive was a "brand new" with 5k miles on it that the dealer was giving us the "its still new" BS. We decided to go with one of the brand new of the same car that they had with 25-30 miles on it. They quickly changed their tune with the "brand new" car with 5k miles on it.

• Options
    I agree...why take one with that many miles when a factory fresh one is likely sitting a few feet away. Who knows how they take care of those demo cars.
  • Options
    why take one with that many miles when a factory fresh one is likely sitting a few feet away.
    --- But then according to you, it really doesn't matter really, since both cars would be "legally" regarded as used cars, no?

Of course, this is silly... We all agree that a car that has 1,700 miles on it, no matter how "new" the dealer claims it to be, it's NOT a new car.... A car with 10 miles on it, or 30 or 50, yes. But when the break in period (which can be detrimental to the life of the car's engine) is 1,200 miles --- than 1,700 is to me a big NO.... Unless the price is significantly adjusted, of course.
  • Options
    fourgibbonsinmfourgibbonsinm Member Posts: 2
    My '07 Sonata Limited is three weeks old and has 800 miles on it. Today the "Airbag" light, located next to the "Check Enginge" light, came on and has stayed on. I have read about many "Airbag" light problems in previous years. Is this a common problem with the '07 models as well? Does anyone have some insight as to what may be the cause?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Take the car to the dealer immediately. There could be a problem with the SRS.
  • Options
    fourgibbonsinmfourgibbonsinm Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. The mechanic at the dealer just diagnosed the car. The problem appears to be a defective clock spring in the steering column. Has anyone else with an '06 or '07 Sonata experienced this problem?
  • Options
    seniorsenior Member Posts: 13
    Window sticker shows tilt/telescopic steering wheel.It tilts,very easly,but I can't get it to move towards me.Anyone have this problem yet?
  • Options
    silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    I have an 06 Sonata LX and found I had to tug hard and it moved out. Should do it when you release the catch to tilt it.
  • Options
    billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    I haven't had the defective spring on a Sonata (still haven't bought the darn thing... stupid real estate bust caused the house I've been trying to sell to not sell). But I did have the same thing on my Plymouth Voyager... it also fixed the Cruise, which wasn't working, when they replaced that.... and eventually, the horn stopped (though the alarm still worked) because of the spring (old van, '96 with 180K Miles... next up for replacement after the Taurus (which is going to be replaced by a Sonata)). So, I've heard of this... but it seems awfully quick for it to wear out in your Sonata.
  • Options
    More likely defective or improperly installed vs. worn out.

Since it could impact the detonation of the driver's front airbag, that explains the airbag warning light.
  • Options
    sheba6sheba6 Member Posts: 7
    I have a new 2007 Hyundai Sonata and today I had to drive in my first rain storm and noticed something strange. I had the wipers set to intermittent on the fastest setting and they worked fine when standing still at a red light. When I took off and the windshield filled with water it switched to regular continuous wiper operation although I did not change any settings. I checked the manual it does not state that I have any rain sensor type wipers although I know they exist on higher end cars. I'm wondering if somehow I have this rain sensor feature or just a malfunctioning wiper system. Would appreciate any feedback on this.
  • Options
    Are you sure it switched to continuously wiping and not that the interval between the wipes got shorter? I am pretty sure that they are speed sensitive and will shorten the interval as you increase speed. I know on mine the fastest intermediate speed seems almost as fast as having them on.

• Options
    sheba6sheba6 Member Posts: 7
    I have since found out throughout the course of the day that the wipers do not sense the rain per se, they sense the load on the wipers and will increase the speed as necessary. Someone suggested I turn on the window washer and spray windows to see if this is true and it was, on all intermittent speeds, it will throw wipers into regular low continuous wiping mode when more water is thrown onto windshield. I still find it strange that there is no mention of this feature in the Hyundai manual, although I have discovered other items which also do not show up in the manual. The manual is is really somewhat deficient. I'm surprised on a really low end car that it has this feature and that they don't play it up that it has. Anyway thanks for responding.
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    "I'm surprised on a really low end car that it has this feature and that they don't play it up that it has"...

$25K is not low end, but you must have bought the economy model. Not sure you really have the operation of the window wiper motor quite right yet?. In the first and only variable setting (intermittent), this low end Car senses speed and wipes accordingly. Wouldn't you want to be wiped the same way?.