Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    A lot of others have maded the same move too with the Synthetic Oil. Edmunds has installed a "Search this Discussion" feature. At least 18 messages are waiting for you!. :shades:
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Did you get a 3.3 V6?

Seems several posters on the Problems and Solutions board are having a lot of trouble with a "shimmy".... which they say occurs when the car hits 44 mph.

And, so far, there doesn't seem to be any solution.
  • Options
    cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Maybe your shimmy is early Parkinsons, My car is jet smooth at all speeds. ;)
  • Options
    sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    With one exception, the problem has been with the 07 SE which has been changed from a 16" to a 17" wheel. I have one of the problem cars. It is a legitmate issue. I spoke with another Dealer today and he has had his first 44mph shimmy complaint on a new SE they sold last week. and I am hopeful the Hyundai will find a solution.
  • Options
    I have known about this problem with the 06 Models as well. I just can't see laying out the extra bread on an 07, which is the exact Car as the 06, without the massive rebates that come with...

My LX gets a little floaty at high speeds, but no shimmy & no shake. The A/T leaves a little to be desired though?
  • Options
    My LX gets a little floaty at high speeds, but no shimmy & no shake. The A/T leaves a little to be desired though?

I find nothing wrong with the automatic transmission but then I have been driving frickin standards since 1983. I welcome the fact that I don't have to clutch anymore. Standard transmissions are horribly over rated. They are a pain in the butt when you are stopped in traffic. Most of the time I can't even tell when the Sonata shifts. Give me an automatic any day.
  • Options
    Standard transmissions are horribly over rated. They are a pain in the butt when you are stopped in traffic.

Agreed.

Makes one wonder why Hyundai makes a big thing out of shiftomatic...
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For when you're not stopped in traffic? :)
  • Options
    There was a TSB to address this perceived problem, but it did little or nothing. While the 3.3V has plenty of power, the downshifting (passing gears) are questionable. Similar to old Turbo lag, sometimes the Transmission, or the Computer struggles to find a lower gear. What good are 5 gears, if you can get more response from 4?. I rented a new Impala and like the way it shifted!.
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    jack47 said: "Makes one wonder why Hyundai makes a big thing out of shiftomatic.."

The purpose of the shiftomatic, it seems to me, is to give the driver more control over the computers selection of gears.

Granted, the computer is going to make the proper selection of gears much more consistently than most drivers will do. But there are those times when it is nice to have the option of making the selections your self. The Ford Fusion does not allow this, I found that to be a design flaw in the Fusion.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The thing that is a pain to me about manual transmissions in heavy traffic is the clutch, not the actual shifting of the gears.

I seldom use the shiftronic in my '05 Sonata with 4 speed A/T. But it's nice to have on slippery roads. Also, I sometimes take a route where I have to make an acute angle right turn up a pretty steep hill. For some reason the A/T doesn't kick down into 2nd just after the turn (at about 10-15 mph). So rather than jump of the gas, I use the shiftronic to down gear and shortly thereafter put it back in "drive."

It IS a big thing compared to just having a choice of D or L or compared to having to stand on a clutch in traffic.
    BTW, other car companies, including Infinity, have this type of automatic transmission, although they all have their own name for it.
  • Options
    I don't have any mountains in south Louisiana so my A/T is not stressed like you guy's are. going over elevated bridges and overpasses I notice the cruise control will hold the speed quite well. If it is downshifting I can't tell it. Later this year I am making a trip north of San Antonio, if I take the car I will be able to evaluate the transmission on some nice hilly roads. :)
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    I have an LX, and it's my first A/T in 44 years of driving, so I may be more in tune with using the Shiftronic feature than most. Although I leave it in Drive most of the time, I've found that the Shiftronic feature really shines when passing.

We have a number of two-lane 50-55 mph roads in western Mass./eastern NY, but many of the locals seem to be comfortable doing all of 45 mph. Because of the hilly terrain and the plethora of curves, passing opportunities are limited, and even when allowed, the passing "window" is often fairly small -- nearly non-existent during peak tourist seasons. I tend to drive 55-65 mph on these roads, depending on conditions and the jurisdiction, so I consider 45 mph akin to crawling.

All my previous cars had I-4 engines (about 20:1 weight to hp ratios), so I learned to develop a successful passing technique. With the I-4s, I would get up a "head of steam" by downshifting to 2nd or 3rd and accelerating hard in my lane, while simultaneously estimating the oncoming car's approach and my approach to the car I'm attempting to pass, then jumping out into the oncoming lane and getting back in, in the least amount of time possible. It takes practice to get the timing right, and I practiced often.

It's much easier with the Sonata's V-6 engine (about a 15:1 weight to hp ratio), as it has more than enough instant acceleration -- except when I kick it down in Drive and lose precious seconds as it searches for what it thinks is the right gear. Now I just drop it into 3rd -- or even 2nd, depending on speed -- and floor it, which launches the car in seconds to 65-70, while circumventing that (potentially fatal) transmission lag. When I'm back in, I shift it back up to 5th, then back over to Drive. This technique also works well on Interstates, when I need to accelerate rapidly to avoid potential problems (e.g., 18-wheelers about to move into the passing lane, traffic merging from entrance ramps, or blowing around SUVs hogging the passing lane).

While the Shiftronic lacks the true fun-factor of a real manual, it certainly mitigates much of the boredom -- and drawbacks -- of a typical automatic. :)
  • Options
    williewiskerswilliewiskers Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a new Sonata. When I got it home I noticed that the side view mirrors don't fold in it someone hits them. I though this strange and called my salesman. He said that it was the same on all 06. I thank this his strange Any thoughts on this. If someone hits it by accident, I make be stuck with a large bill to repair it.
  • Options
    Yes, that's one of the negatives IMO of the 2006+ Sonata design. It's been discussed here before, but it's been awhile since it came up. It's more and more common, though. For example, the new-for-2006 Fusion/Milan and new-for-2007 Camry also do not have folding side mirrors. The Hyundais that are shipped from Korea tend to have folding mirrors, so they fit better on the boats, e.g. the lower-priced Accent and Elantra both have folding side mirrors.

I have a 2000 626 that does not have folding mirrors; bought the car used this year. My oldest son (17) drives it. He was pulling out of the garage one day and was in a bit too much of a hurry and caught the driver's mirror on the garage door frame. Snap! New mirror (which comes unpainted of course!) cost over $400 to paint and install. Fortunately, my other two vehicles have folding mirrors. It's something I look for on all my new cars. I thought I'd own the 626 for only a year so it wasn't a big deal, or so I thought.
  • Options
    If you take the time to check, you'll find most of the cars in parking lots don't have folding mirrors either. Expensive gas guzzlers seem to. Maybe soccer moms can't park. Anyway, I don't find that a big thing. I am pretty much at home leaving a considerable distance between the sides of my car and traffic anyway.
  • Options
    And it helps to not have teen-agers who aren't careful enough backing out of a tight garage. ;)

I suspect the reason the larger vehicles like minivans and SUVs tend to have folding mirrors is because it makes it easier to park them in parking ramps (with those big, hard pillars) and even in tight home garages. But I've been in some parking ramps where the spaces are so small that I've found it useful to fold a mirror on my compact car. In Asia, power folding mirrors are common due to the tight parking conditions over there.

Moving away from folding mirrors on the Sonata and other mid-sized cars is not a good trend, IMO. Part of the general de-contenting that is going on for cost savings.
  • Options
    True enough but think about this, go back to say 1968 and try to remember what was even offered on cars as an option compared to us spoiled car owners of today. Power mirrors were unheard of, electric windows on only luxury cars then. Safety systems? hmmm, seat belt and maybe a shoulder harness tucked up in the headliner. Intermittent wipers? Nope. Heated seats, mirrors? Not a chance. Sound deadening was optional on many models. Cast wheels? Radial tires? How about FM radio? Nada. Remote keyless entry? wasn't even an option on a Rolls. I could go on but you get the picture. It's hard for me to complain about non folding remotely heated and actuated dual mirrors I when can remember what you couldn't get back even in the 70's on car, like could you even get a right side mirror?
  • Options
    Moving away from folding mirrors on the Sonata and other mid-sized cars is not a good trend, IMO. Part of the general de-contenting that is going on for cost savings.

Yeah, it's terrible.

I really miss those running boards I had on my '39 Buick. :cry:
  • Options
    Last I checked this is 2006, not 1968. I recall that back in '68, most side mirrors were on a swivel mount so you could adjust them. So if they were bumped, they could move without ripping the mirror out of the fender.

Folding mirrors aren't new; they have been around a long time. When a $11,000 Accent has folding side mirrors, I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect them in a Sonata that costs twice as much.
  • Options
    Don't folding mirrors only fold in one direction, i.e. fold toward the back of the car?

That wouldn't help for backing out of a garage. (My older son, now 31, clipped a non-folding mirror while pulling into the garage when he was learning to drive.)

On the bright side, your son only clipped the mirror. If the mirror weren't there, he might have scraped the door, front fender and bumper cover. A scrape on any of these parts would most likely cost much more than it cost you for the mirror. Hopefully, he'll learn from this incident.

And people wonder why car insurance is so expensive for teen age drivers.
  • Options
    The mirrors on many cars including my Elantra "give" if hit from behind. So yes, folding mirrors do help when backing out of a garage.

Because the mirror on the 626 sticks out quite a bit and caught the door frame just a little, the rest of the car was not in peril. BTW, this happened (twice) on a '97 Sentra I owned--the last car I had before the 626 with non-folding mirrors. Those only cost about $150 to replace though; not being painted helped there.

So I do really like folding mirrors and would like the Sonata to get them someday. I don't know this for a fact but I would not be surprised if the Korean-market Sonatas have folding mirrors.

I do hope my son learns from the accident. He didn't learn enough from an accident a few months before the mirror incident, when he backed out of the garage without looking carefully enough and sideswiped my Elantra GLS, which was sitting on the other side of the driveway (two-car garage). I went a little ballistic, mostly because it could have been a child on the driveway instead of the car, and partly because my wife has done the same thing before. Twice. It's bad enough to have one car in an accident, but two at a time is really hard to take in the pocketbook. :cry:
  • Options
    I was making a point, one you obvious didn't comprehend. Cars have come a long way in value for the dollar and I think those who complain about not having folding mirrors are nit picking. I'm sure the next body update on the Sonata will get your mirrors. Hyundai seems to be taking note of what people want and incorporating this in future models. If you want to wait for them that's alright by me.
  • Options
    heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    If you had to choose what product to buy out of the three choices of a Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, and Nissan altima, all 2007 models which would you get? I need a car for graduation this fall from grad school and need a good car, whats a good choice and why? Thanks and God Bless.
  • Options
    I got your point, no need to be condescending. Just because something is a nit for one person doesn't mean it's a nit for everyone. Have you seen the next-generation Sonata, to be sure that it will have folding mirrors? I am doubtful. Hyundai seems to be accelerating their cost-cutting, not reversing it. An example is the new Santa Fe. Compare the trim on the top of the door panels, inside, on the Sonata to that of the Santa Fe. At first glance they look very similar. But the Sonata's trim is padded and the Santa Fe's is hard plastic. And this is on a vehicle that can cost over $30k. I don't know who asked Hyundai for more hard plastic in the interiors of their new models. Maybe someone did. It wasn't me.

I don't need to wait. There are plenty of cars out there that I like that have folding mirrors; some of them are Hyundais.
  • Options
    The 2007 Altima is all-new and I haven't driven it yet. Have you, and what did you think of it? You really need to drive all three cars before making a decision like that. Anyway, you need to make the decision based on what is important for YOU, not based on someone else's criteria. As we have just seen, something like availability of folding mirrors may not matter at all to you or might be important. Do you favor sharp handling over ride comfort? Is up-front cost an issue or is the sky the limit? Do you need a nav system? I4 or V6? Do you mind (or even like) a CVT vs. conventional automatic, or do you want a stick--and if a stick would you like a 6-speed? And there's lots of other things like this to consider.

They are all likely to be good cars; the current Altima is a good car and the new one is probably even better. The Accord has been considered one of if not the top car in the class for a long time. And the Sonata is a very good car and an excellent value in the class. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, IF you figure out what is important to you, drive the cars, and evaluate them based on your criteria. Have fun! Congrats on the grad school!

P.S. Some automakers offer special incentives to graduates, which you might already know about but if not check it out.
  • Options
    almeida75almeida75 Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 sonata has folding side mirrors.I am in the MiddleEast and my I4 Sonata 2006 manufactured in Korea.Maybe the US model does not have folding mirrors.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Not only the new generation '07 Camry has non-folding mirrors, but the 2005 and 2006 model years of the Camry also had them. My son's 1996 Mitsubishi Galant also has non-folding mirrors, but it was built in Normal, IL, not Japan. Believe it or not, the claimed reason for non-folding mirrors is a reduction in wind noise and turbulence, not cost-cutting and de-contenting per se. Apparently, the small space between the upper and lower sections of a folding mirror causes turbulence and noise in wind tunnel testing, hence its deletion in the effort to improve NVH. More and more new cars seem to have non-folding mirrors. Cars shipped from overseas, on the other hand, tend to have folding mirrors. This eases parking and shipping in large car carrying cargo ships. For example, as Backy previously stated, the Accent and Elantra still have folding mirrors as they are still built in Korea, whereas the Sonata for USA distribution is built in Alabama.
  • Options
    Apparently, the small space between the upper and lower sections of a folding mirror causes turbulence and noise in wind tunnel testing, hence its deletion in the effort to improve NVH.

Yes, I've heard that line too. I don't buy it. There is ZERO wind noise from around the mirrors/A pillar on my Elantra and MPV, with their supposed "noisemaker" folding mirrors. IMO the single reason for deleting folding mirrors is cost. Automakers these days will shave every penny out of a car, whether that means more hard plastic inside, or plastic inside door handles vs. metal, or removing features and making them options. I know they need to watch costs to be competitive on pricing, but sometimes I wonder if they think about the trade-off, e.g. a painted plastic door handle imparting a cheap feeling to an otherwise nice interior, as on the Sonata. (And if you don't think people notice these things, I know the plastic handles were mentioned prominently on at least one review, either C/D or MT.) The trick is to take costs out where buyers don't notice it as much, but put a little money into areas that are touched/seen/noticed.
  • Options
    IMO the single reason for deleting folding mirrors is cost. Automakers these days will shave every penny out of a car, whether that means more hard plastic inside, or plastic inside door handles vs. metal, or removing features and making them options. I know they need to watch costs to be competitive on pricing, but sometimes I wonder if they think about the trade-off, e.g. a painted plastic door handle imparting a cheap feeling to an otherwise nice interior, as on the Sonata.

Well, if you're that convinced who am I to change your mind? :confuse:
  • Options
    It's OK to disagree. We can understand each other's opinions without agreeing. After paying over $700 for snapped-off fixed mirrors over the years, I have a great appreciation for folding mirrors. That's just the way I am. I hope you never come to change your opinion on folding mirrors for that reason.
  • Options
    Actually backy I don't have an opinion either way. I haven't yet owned a car with folding mirrors. Had an 91 F-150 pickup once with huge chrome mirrors that you hand adjusted but nope, never had a car with folding mirrors. Just ain't been a problem. Don't miss what I never had...
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I agree on the Sonata's interior door handles. When I first test drove a new generation Sonata last year, the interior door handles were one of the first things I noticed - negatively. This is one area the Camry shines. Real chrome in strategic areas; very important for first time impressions and overall looks. Of course, my Elantra has plastic interior door handles. Would I prefer chromed metal? - of course.
  • Options
    Sorry, I mistook your statement "Cars have come a long way in value for the dollar and I think those who complain about not having folding mirrors are nit picking." as an opinion.

We don't tend to miss what we've never had. I didn't have A/C in a car until I moved to Houston in '82. Now I wouldn't buy a car without it (and it's getting hard to find cars without it). I didn't have power locks or power windows on a car until '88, but now I find them indispensible on any 4-door car. And I didn't have ABS on a car until '99, but now I want it on all of my cars. I don't have side curtains, ESC, and active head restraints on any of my cars yet, but I love it that the Sonata has all of those standard, and I will look for those safety features on my next new car. Then they will probably become "must have" features for me in the future.

My first car had no A/C, no carpeting, no radio, no dash vents, no airbags, no power ANYTHING (not even steering or brakes), no shoulder belts--in other words almost none of the features we take for granted today. I think we've made a lot of progress in the 40 years since then. I don't want to roll back the clock to those days.
  • Options
    My '05 Sonata has folding mirrors, but I think they only fold toward the back. (Too lazy to go out and check now).

This is my first car with folding mirrors. How far out from the side of the car do the mirrors protrude? I think you may have had some bad luck, on a couple of occassions, by a matter of only an inch or two.

From my garage I have to make a 90* turn to go our the driveway. If I clipped a mirror backing out & stopped right away, I would almost certainly crease the front fender and bumper cover had I not stopped after hitting the mirror (folding or non-folding). But cheer up, 10 years from now, you and your son will laugh about his mirror incident.

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: At your son's age, you're probably pretty stupid right now. Give him another 5 or 6 years and you'll become much smarter. :)
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "My '05 Sonata has folding mirrors..." ((

That's interesting. I went out and checked my '03 Sonata. I put as much pressure - forward and backward - as I dared, and they wouldn't budge. Obviously neither of our cars were manufactured in the U.S. I have the base model "GL", but it does have power mirrors so I suspect they're shared between all trim levels.
  • Options
    Sorry, I mistook your statement "Cars have come a long way in value for the dollar and I think those who complain about not having folding mirrors are nit picking." as an opinion.

Opps! My Bad! :surprise:
  • Options
    If the mirrors fold, there will be a telltale crease between the mirror body and mount. If you've never moved them, it could take quite a nudge to do it the first time.
  • Options
    Nope I haven't driven the 07 altima. You're right, when the 07 altima comes out, I'll just visit all three lots (honda, hyundai, nissan) and check out the three models. I drove the hyundai already. But I really want a car where I can ride good in big cities like atlanta and a good car for a lot of traveling( I may join the FBI). Thanks for congratting me about grad school, only a few more months God willing :) Thanks and God Bless
  • Options
    Heavensoldier, if you join the FBI they will provide a Company Car you can take home. I just retired from the State Department. Working for Uncle Sam is horrible! :mad:
  • Options
    ....But I really want a car where I can ride good in big cities like atlanta and a good car for a lot of traveling( I may join the FBI). Thanks for congratting me about grad school,...

As a former counterintelligence S/A(long,long ago)I believe I can safely say that one of the requirements for acceptance in the FBI is the ability to use proper grammar...as a large part of an agent's time is spent writing reports.
  • Options
    Sorry I was in a rush. But jack do you know anything about the intelligence analyst position? Also I didn't know you could take the FBI issued car home? I thought it was only for use at the office. But anyways I don't know if FBI professional support positions get FBI cars, they may but I still want a good reliable car. Thanks and God Bless.
  • Options
    jamesd1057jamesd1057 Member Posts: 18
    Agents get cars, generally support doesn't. Intelligence analyst do not get them. There is usally a pool car for use during work. Only American made cars. No Hondas, Nissans or Hyundais.

Working for the goverment can be great.

I'm going with the 2007 Sonata Limited.
  • Options
    What's kind of funny is that the Accord, Altima, and Sonata are all "American made." Many "American" cars aren't "American made." So the FBI doesn't get many choices. Maybe they still go for the black Crown Vics. ;)
  • Options
    ....Maybe they still go for the black Crown Vics....

All I got (back in the 50's) was a black two door Chevy.

But it had (laugh) a two way radio.
  • Options
    Oh okay cool. You have to be 23 to work for the FBI. I'm not 23 yet, so I'll go for the support positions first God willing. But I suspect they may drive mid-size SUV's (FBI), but I don't know. But while we're on this topic check out the 07 altima Nissan 07 altima preview . Yeah I bet working for the government is great, I pray everything goes fine for me. Thanks and God Bless
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Did I take a wrong turn? Grammar issues, FBI employment, Altimas... I really thought I was headed in the direction of the current Sonata discussion.

;)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi tamu2002 - your recent post here is perfect for a discussion where we're comparing all of the vehicles you mentioned, so I moved it there: tamu2002, "Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread" #6733, 5 Sep 2006 3:00 pm
  • Options
    jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    Has anyone had issues with the passenger air bag? I have a 2006 GLS V6, and occasionally the "Passenger Air Bag Off" light will stay on even though there is a passenger in the seat. It has happened with my wife (about 120#) in the seat, and her cousin (around 210#). I took it to the dealer and of course they could not duplicate the problem.
  • Options
    "Did I take a wrong turn? Grammar issues, FBI employment, Altimas... I really thought I was headed in the direction of the current Sonata discussion".

Now that's funny Pat!. What would you like to talk about?.