Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    jmlfishjmlfish Member Posts: 6
    there is much differnce in the 3.3 than the 3.8 the 3.3 is a little better on gas and will deffinitely get the job done as far as acceleration by any means. this is a test mail i don't have much experience with this web site just trying to navigate.
  • Options
    has anyone had a clicking sound upon cold starts after car has been sitting for awhile. it does not happen every time you start it just when it has been sitting a couple of hours and then you start it. it lasts about 1.5 seconds. i have a 2006 sonota gls. i have taken it to the dealer and they say it is nothing that they can't diagnise anything out of the norm. anybody else have this happen? the car has only 87 miles on it.
  • Options
    robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    Anti-Lock brake system test?
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Yes, ABS test, probably... What's typical about it, is that NOTHING is typical about it, some mornings I can feel the "click", some morning I don't, some I more FEEL the click, and some it's more audible than felt...

Either way, it's what the car SHOULD do, test your ABS system.
  • Options
    effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    Check the battery. My car use to do that, it was because the battery wasn't good, and when the alternator charged the battery is was good to go, but the battery wasn't holding the charge well, so if I didn't start the car for a couple of days, or if I came straight home from work, and didn't start the car till the next morning I would get a clicking sound when I turned the key.
  • Options
    this is not like the sound of an ABS chek this is a sound that comes from under the hood and i can hear it from the dash in the car. other people have said that it could be the timing chain does this sound right? the car did sit fir a year an a half before i bought it thiugh you may ne right about the battery thing. the soud comes imediately after the engin has started though.
  • Options
    THIS IS A SOUND FROM UNDER THE HOOD IT HAPPENS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE MOTOT HAS TURNED OVER, IN OTHER WORDS THE ENGIN HAS ALREADY STARTED WHEN THIS NOISE COMES ABOUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD NEAR THE LEFT FRONT SIDE OF THE DASH. THE CAR HAD 87 MILES ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND IT IS A 2006. IT SAT ON THE LOT GETTING TEST DROVE HERE AND THERE FOR A YEAR AN A HALF BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. BUT I DON,T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS COULD BE THE BATTERY OR THE ABS. IF IT IS THE ABS CHECK THEN IT MUST BE ECOING UP THROUGH THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HOOD. IF IT IS THE BATTERY EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS COULD BE.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    What about the timing chain adjustment piece that is supposed to automatically functioning? There is a TSB on this. It shows up sometimes on 1st start up of the day. Wouldn't hurt to have that checked out. Good luck otherwise, van :confuse:
  • Options
    The ABS clicks (and it's a one click) only as you START DRIVING, at about 5-8 mph.

If you have the V6 engine (not the I-4), and the sound is more like GRINDING sound, right as you start up the engine, then yes, it may be the Timing-Chain tensioner, which is a known issue (and should be fixed under warranty).

btw, no need to use ALL CAPS.... Just more difficult to read...
  • Options
    thanks for the info, hopefully this is what it is and it will be fixed under warranty. i have to locate somewhat of a good dealership. the ones that i have been to tell me it is nothing, but i know there has to be some kind of explanation and the only thing that keeps coming up from asking other mechanics is the timming chain sensors. do you kow of a dealership with some kind of reliabillity.? does anyone know of a good, reliable hyundai dealership around here in the ftw area?
  • Options
    is this noise coming from the driver side dash of your car more than anywhere else?
  • Options
    I don't have that noise, my Sonata is an I-4, but the issue is known among the V6 cars, but in general, it's coming from the engine. And what needs to be replaced is the Timing Chain TENSIONER, not sensor.
  • Options
    duke16duke16 Member Posts: 36
    I have an '07 V6,and never heard anything out of the ordinary when starting.
  • Options
    frncfrnc Member Posts: 4
    I have this same problem with my '06, 6cyl Sonata. Noise for 3-5 seconds after a "full cold start". Noise started at 21,000 miles. Now have 23,200 miles.....I just dropped it off at the dealership. The service writer said it sounded like the "timing chain tensioner" neede replacement. He said they would need to keep my car for 3-4 days. I aseked if they'd supply a rental car since this was a warranty repair......NOPE!!!

service bulletin:

http://jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb/timing%20chain%20tensioner.pdf
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    frnc,

Took my car to the dealer at 10am for something unrelated. They told me they found a my timing chain was noisy, and they needed to replace the tensioner spring. They loaned me a brand new Sonata and sent me home. They called me at 4:30pm to pick up the car. They did an excellent job with no collateral damage. Not even a smudge on the seats or carpet. :D
  • Options
    bobad,

Thank you for your reply / post.
    I am going to take a copy of this thread, including your post, to the general manager at my dealership and ask for a rental car.

FRNC

p.s. : I'm very happy with the Sonata thus far.........no other problems.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's a Hyundai, not a Lexus - service loaners generally are supplied by luxury car dealers. There are exceptions of course, so don't flame me here - I'm right. But when you drive Hyundai, or any other bottom end brand, you won't get a loaner. You will however, get the car fixed free, under warranty, with no hassle. That's worth a lot, believe me.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My wife got an 07 Santa Fe loaner when the dealer had to keep her 01 Elantra overnight. The Elantra was in to get a switch replaced and they couldn't finish it that day (had to remove the dash).
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    I said there are exceptions :sick:
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Yeah, but it was more their fault they couldn't complete the repair in time. Thankfully, we didn't have to complain to get the loaner.

Unfortunately that experience was more the exception than the rule. The dealership's service department is pretty mediocre overall. Sucks since they're the closest to our home & my wife's work. As I'm considering an Azera to eventually replace my car I'll be looking at other dealers in the area for my purchase.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    That Azera is a pretty car - real head turner, even for me. I like Hyundais, but consider them a great "value" car, and recommend them for kids and folks on a budget all the time. The Sonata is darn good looking, but that Azera, especially in White, but in most colors, is gorgeous. Don't you wonder who they got to sculpt these cars, based on the ugly (or average) stuff they used to make? :confuse:
  • Options
    I went back yesterday and came away with an "Enterprise" rental car provided by the Hyundai dealership until my Sonata is repaired 2-3 days. Told them my mouth would be cheap advertisement one way or the other. Yes it is a "value" car...............I consider it a throw-a-way, but I expect consideration when the repair will take more than one day and the cause is a design flaw no matter how much the car cost.

FRNC
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    I also got an almost new 2007 Santa Fe free loaner(with 2K miles) for almost 3 weeks when the dealer body shop had to replace a poor fitting and painted rear bumper on my 2007 Sonata Limited. They needed 3 tries with new bumpers to get it right (fit and paint finish/color) and it took that long. That was fine with me as I piled on some mileage on the loaner with some long trips.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is a dealership decision. Some, but not all, Hyundai dealerships in my town do provide a free loaner if the car has to be kept overnight. And some dealerships provide free washes with each service visit and even free oil changes "for life" (i.e. as long as the original owner keeps the car). But again, those are dealership decisions.
  • Options
    shardan90shardan90 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. It does it when it is cold and after it sits for a while. If you start it up immediately after turning the car off it doesn't do it. I was told it was something with hydraulic lifters.
  • Options
    Any cold engine will sound "harsher" for 5-10-15 seconds (depends on how cold is the weather) when first started. But the Sonata's V6 engine has a known issue with the Timing Chain Tensioner which would make an annoying "grinding" metallic sound for a couple seconds, when started cold. This should be fixed under warranty, or else it will eventually damage the Timing Chain.
  • Options
    chief15chief15 Member Posts: 15
    Any time that my 2006 Sonata is in the service shop overnight, I get a current model loaner with no charges other than to pay for the gas used (and they don't ever check the gauge).
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Damage the timing chain..how so?
  • Options
    Damage the timing chain..how so?

It may take a long time Craig, but the loose timing chain whipping against the guard will eventually damage or wear something.

Bottom line, get it fixed. It's free.
  • Options
    It's gotta be one of the few Asian engines with an actual timing chain in it......
  • Options
    I have a 2006 Sonata with tinted windows. My AM radio reception is practically non-existent..........really BAD! Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone have the Sonata with tinted window and no problems with the AM reception?
  • Options
    dtsnksdtsnks Member Posts: 1
    I've read the threads about TSB 05-90-006, but how do I know if my Sonata has this feature available without taking it to a dealer? Any help would be nice.
  • Options
    You better check around.... Camrys (and other Toyotas) were always equipped with a Timing-Chain.... It's actually a BETTER solution than a Timing BELT that needs replacement at around 75-85k, or it breaks and ruins the engine....
  • Options
    flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
  • Options
    Wow, the Galant and Accord didn't do so well. :blush:
  • Options
    My Lexus has timing belts, Acuras have timing belts....whatever. I prefer chains myself, like the longevity, but I rarely keep an engine long enough to require a belt change anyway, so I really don't care.
  • Options
    duke16duke16 Member Posts: 36
    WE Had 6 Toyota's through the years and they all had timing belts,the last one was a 1996 Camry,which used a belt.If the Lexus has a belt than the Toyota's do also.
  • Options
    stoutt66stoutt66 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 with tinted windows and the reception is horrible. It seemed fine before I had them tinted. I have to be with in 10-15 miles of the channel to hear anything. Bummer because I drive all of the time and can't listen to my ESPN radio AM.
  • Options
    I think your window tinter broke your window antenna in the back. I think he owes you a new backlight. It's not the tint, it's damage to the antenna on the window.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    If the tint film is metallic, it will interfere with radio reception.
  • Options
    terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I really like the 2006 and 2007 Sonatas. But I've just been looking at them on the lots and on the internet and haven't found any with dark, one-color interiors. The two-tone makes me feel like spotlights are on the floor and aimed at my eyes.
    Is there a particular trim level that offers what I'm looking for?
  • Options
    OK, so I did some more research... Not ALL Camrys have been always equipped with a chain, but many are:

The 2002-2006 Camry models with the 4 cylinder engine, all have chains. Some other Toyota models have chains, like their larger SUVs. Some Nissans and Fords, and other cars have a Timing Chain.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For 2007 the Limited was available with a black interior. I don't know about the SE but perhaps it was available in black (cloth) also. I don't know if black was available for 2006, on the LX Platinum model perhaps--maybe someone else can shed some light on that. FWIW, for 2008 both the SE (cloth) and Limited (leather) are available in black.
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both belts and chains. Obviously, a chain will last longer, but if it should stretch beyond the adjustment provided by the chain tensioner, replacement is far, far more expensive than a timing belt. In fact on some OHC engine designs, the engine must be pulled from the car to change the timing chain(s).

Ironically, one of the primary reasons the timing belt was designed, other than reduced noise, was the ease and lower cost of replacement.

There is actually a superior cam drive than either the belt or chain, namely gear drive. This design is incorporated in many of the older OHV engines, such as the Volvo B16, B18, and B20 4-cylinder engines, but gets extraordinarily expensive, noisy, and complex on SOHC or DOHC designs.
  • Options
    I think belt drive is disappearing because owner's do not maintain their cars, and the belt eventually breaks. When that happens, the valve train pretty much self destructs on most modern engines. If someone would develop a 150K mile belt, or a fail-safe belt drive system, it would become wildly popular.
  • Options
    morty66morty66 Member Posts: 9
    My 13 month old Sonata's battery is completely dead. Even had it tested to make sure. Has anyone else had this problem with such a fairly new battery? It's Sunday, so I'm waiting till Monday to call the dealership to see what they say. I'm wondering if they will give me a good deal on a new battery.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Info from Hyundai's website about batteries and the warranty...

- Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)

So you should get it replaced free if it is actually a dead/defective battery.
  • Options
    morty66morty66 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply. I just went through my Hyundai packet and saw that. Well at least I won't have to buy new battery.
  • Options
    I buy a lot of Hyundais at the auction for people and have to jump a fair number of them - most of them are less than 3 years old, I don't think this is that unusual. Seems they need a new Battery subcontractor.
  • Options
    This is a review of our ownership experience with a 2006 Sonata LX.

Background:
    Coming into the purchase, I was an avid HonToy fan, having owned an Accord, CRV, 4 Runner, two Camrys, pickup truck, Celica, and even a Subaru Legacy. I also influenced the purchase of many HonToys in my family.

However, when searching for a new sedan, I was disappointed in all the options available in early 2005. I test drove every major manufacturer's midsize sedan offering, even looking at the luxury market. Each vehicle had something I didn't like that became a deal killer for me. And then the 06 Sonata was introduced. I never considered Hyundai until the new Sonata, and after a few test drives, some reconsideration of my prior judgments against Hyundai, I was sold and made the purchase.

Current mileage:
    - 19,000 miles

Gas mileage history (regular octane):
    Lowest: 20 mpg, all city
    Highest: 30 mpg, all highway @75 mph
    Average: 24 mpg, mostly used for commuting to work 10 miles each way through neighborhoods

Reasons for choosing the Sonata:
    - Safety: air bags galore and rear impact design
    - Electronic nannies: Electronic handling controls may not be for driving purists, but they're comforting in a blizzard and major downpour.
    - Engine: oh, so wonderful
    - Decent gas mileage
    - Size: perfect interior and trunk size for our needs
    - Handling: not too firm, not too soft
    - Styling
    - Warranty
    - Price as compared to Honda/Toyota

Repair history:
    - No failures and warranty repairs.
    - I've done all my own routine maintenance using factory air, cabin, and oil filters, and Castrol 5W-20 synthetic blend motor oil (3,000-mile oil-change intervals).
    - No oil consumption.

The Good:
    - Can't beat 0 repairs.
    - Gas mileage has met EPA ratings, which were good to start with.
    - All the electronic nannies work, and work well. Many snow storms and rain downpours in our 2 years of driving have tested every stability and control system, and they've all worked flawlessly.
    - The rear collision headrests work. Six months into our ownership, I was rear ended while stopped on a major road waiting for an ambulance to cross. That experience showed me how well the car was designed for rear impacts. Thank you Hyundai.
    - Engine has ample power, revs freely and smoothly, and sips gas for it's size. Love it.
    - Styling still looks good, and the finish is bright and shiny. I use Klasse AIO each fall and spring, and the finish looks new besides some rock chips up front.
    - Comfortable ride in town or on long trips. Seating is personal, but these have worked well for my wife and me.
    - Trunk can swallow just about anything. The thing is huge, and usable.
    - Michelin tires are holding up well. They're a bit hard and spin easily, but the wear is exceptional and the ride is quiet.
    - I always look foward to driving the Sonata again after a business trip.

The not-so-good:
    - Like all paint jobs today, this one is susceptible to rock chips. Snow removal have left a number of chips on my front bumper and hood.
    - The center armrest has slightly discolored with age, darkening a shade or two more than the leather seats.
    - The transmission is definitely oriented for a family car, being slower to respond to throttle input changes. For spirited driving I use the manumatic option.
    - Wish the seat heaters had a low and high setting.
    - Steering wheel radio controls provided channel control on later years (wishing I had that on mine...oh well).
    - Looking forward to when all vehicles have jacks for MP3 players.
    - Depreciation: I saw this one coming, but for the length of period I'll be keeping it, this won't be a major factor. As the rest of the world recognizes the value of Hyundai, I expect depreciation percentages to near rival brands.

And there it is. Two years of enjoyable driving. I'm planning to keep the vehicle for another 7 years, which will be the longest for any vehicle I've owned. The Sonata has completely changed my opinion of Hyundai as a brand, and I'd be willing to make our other vehicle a Hyundai. Honda will soon be stepping up to the diesel plate, and I hope Hyundai does, too, especially in the SUVs.