Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• goochgooch Member Posts: 13
    I agree, the Bright silver has a very classy look to it. I replaced a car that had a color similar to the golden beige and the Silver does look better to me. There were a few with the aquamarine color at the dealership, and they looked okay, but couldn't get over the fact that it's green :) The dark blue is sharp as well, but you will be able to pick up the dirt pretty easily with that.
  • mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    I finally got to drive one yesterday!

My Hyundai dealership now has four in stock, and only four remaining 2005 Sonatas. All of the models in stock are four-cylinders. Two GLs, two GLSes. All automatics.

Anyway, I drove the previously-noted white 2006 Sonata GLS-4. Sticker price of $19,995 (minus the $1000 dealer markup).

This car does not disappoint. It handles excellently; it has the stable feel of a Camry, with the precision of handling close to the Accord. It has a very soft suspension, but never feels like it is deprived because of it.

The engine is also quite good. I would prefer it have a 5-speed auto, but even with the four, it feels very powerful. This car seems to have more power than the outgoing V6. Much improved is the shiftronic feature, which now actually shifts pretty quick and does not hesitate.

The materials used inside the cabin feel much better than what others on here have mentioned, in my opinion. The leather around the steering wheel and on the shifter feel top-notch. Also, there were no moving parts on this car's shifter, Maxamillion, which leads me to believe that your problem was the result of the Alabama plant. Also, the GL models I looked at did not seem to be any worse than GLSes in terms of quality. The 2005 base and GLS models had severely noticeable differences in quality, but the new GL is much improved. The cloth material in the GL is the same used in the Elantra GLS now, so it isn't as tacky. If you are getting a 4-cylinder, just get a GL unless you need alloy wheels or a sunroof, because there isn't $1000-1500 in difference there.

The big thing I noticed about the car was its SIZE. This car is BIG inside. In terms of legroom, it is only slightly larger than a Camry or Accord. It is in terms of hip room, shoulder room, and head room that you start to realize just how big this car really is. You can stretch your arms out and not hit anything...a big departure from the cramped old model. It is necessary adversely, however, on the exterior dimensions. This car, when you're driving it, seems larger than some SUVs. A Ford Escape, or Hyundai Tucson seem much smaller and easier to keep in the lines of the lanes...but SUV interior space with 26 miles per gallon city is worth giving up small exterior size.

The Breakdown:
    PROs: Powertrain feel, quality, quietness, and SiZE.
    CONs: Engine makes strange grunt noise at highest RPM levels, strange new car odor, no one stares at this car the same way people did when you'd drive around in an '05.

This car is so much better than what I expected that I am actually considering spending a bit more on one than waiting for the next Elantra to come out...but then again, if this car gives us any idea of what other new models coming out are going to be like, we have a lot to be excited for.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Called my local Hyundai dealer today and found out they have several 4s in stock but no 6s, and will not get any 6s until late June or early July. Which means shipments from Alabama must still be quite limited. Wonder why? It is not unusual for Hyundai/Kia to hold up production of a car if they find problems. They did that in Korea before the new Sonata was introduced, and they did it with the Amanti also.

Anyway, I have to take my '01 Elantra in for service tomorrow so I'll take one for a drive then, probably vs. an Accord LX.
  • sonata05lxsonata05lx Member Posts: 1
    backy, with regard to your earlier post comparing the Accord to the Sonata rear-end, I have to compliment you on a most insightful observation. I agree completely with your opinion.With regard to your most recent post, I read that at the official opening of the Montgomery plant the other day, Hyundai stated that they were emphasizing total quality over higher production during the early phase. Although '06 Sonatas have been shipped for several weeks now, the flow will remain slow probably well into the Summer. My dealer, Fairfax Hyundai told me this past Saturday that they had none, and they are a high-volume dealer! So I rode down to their sister-dealer, Alexandria Hyundai and they had only one. It is a black LX with all the options. Of course I was prepared having seen all the photos, but will still taken by the understated elegance both inside and out. The rep told me they had sold 10 already to people who were willing to wait. I am so mad in love with my '05 that I will probably drive it until the next gen' Sonata arrives near 2011! I am thrilled that the '06 is a hit because it will bring even more "believers" to our fold.
    The good news for you is that any success the new Sonata has in pulling up the market perception (and resale value) of Hyundais will trickle down to the previous-gen Sonatas. And there are many people who prefer the styling of that model.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I stopped by our local dealer last night to take a look at the new Sonata. They had just one, a V6 GLS. After a quick walk around, I do what I typically do with any new car, jump in the back seat to check out head and foot room. There was plenty of both. There is good toe room under the front seat, and plenty of head room even with the sunroof. I did not have the sense that my head was tucked up in a cavity behind the sunroof as it is on many vehicles. The rear door is huge, and entry / egress are no problem.
    My one eye-opener? Why do the outside mirrors not fold back? The first from Hyundai that have not in a long time. City dwellers might not like the step back.
    As for styling, there is no question that the out-going model is "better" looking. I walked by one coming through the gate this morning. It has Italianesque lines, while the new model has captured a safe derivative look. Don't get me wrong. I just got out of a 99 Honda Accord I had for over six years. That car defined derivative. But it was a great rock solid car, and that is what really matters to the vast majority. I am looking forward to driving a 5 speed Sonata when they become available. But it is not a sporting sedan, and like my Accord, the automatic makes more sense, just not to me.
    As for the upholstery in the GLS, while not as horrible as past terry-cloth Mitsubishi Galants, I do hope the GL is the same as the very nice Elantra GLS hatch.

Right now my thoughts are that maybe an '06 Elantra GT hatch with package 8 will come my way for $12,900, as an end of model run deal, if I can put up with an ever worsening creaking 2005 Mazda Tribute until then. I guess I should tackle that problem first....
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    Looks like automatic transmission and floor mats are included with the GLS not with the GL. Thus the MSRP of the GL with those options is 17,895 +900 + 85 = $18,880. The MSRP of the GLS is 19,395. Thus a $515 difference. For that $515 you get " fog lamps; premium-grade cloth upholstery and cut-pile carpeting; choice of wood-grain or metal-grain interior trim accents; steering wheel-mounted, redundant audio controls; adjustable lumbar in driver's seat; five-function trip computer; and 16-inch alloy wheels in place of the GL's hub-capped steel wheels" . Seems to me thats worth the difference. Any opinions? Also any prices paid yet?
    I am very surprised that the mirrors don't fold--that is a big deal for many people (including me).

The Elantra GLS hatch's interior is a sport cloth, the only Elantra model to have it. The Sonata GL's interior is more like the GLS 4-door's cloth interior--which is pretty attractive IMO.
  • jojo6jojo6 Member Posts: 20
    BTW - Build Your Own is now available on the Hyundai Website, Go to The 2005 Sonata section, and go to the Build It. You can chande 2005 to 2006 and proceed from there.
    Here's my comparo of the new Sonata GLS vs. the Accord EX:

backy, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #158, 26 May 2005 9:53 pm

I chose the GLS because those were the keys the sales rep brought me. I asked to drive a stripped GL automatic (no sticks available), but he made a mistake ;) and brought the keys for the most loaded car on the lot instead--a GLS I4 automatic with Premium package. So I drove the Accord that I thought most closely matched the Sonata tester: an EX automatic 4-cylinder.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    backy read your side-by-side comparo of Accord vs new Sonata and must say that it was not only informative but quite entertaining! You really hit all the important points that contrast both vehicles pros and cons. Your conclusion that the Sonata outclasses the Accord mirrors everything that I've read on automotive websites and other forums. It really says volumes when the buzz about the new Sonata has it taking on and possibly overtaking the class leaders in the midsize family car segment.

It does appear that Hyundai has indeed done their homework and have graduated from finishing school top of their class!
  • dee12dee12 Member Posts: 9
    Was ready to put money down on an '05 Elantra last night when I noticed the dealer had an '06 Sonata on the lot. I had actually given up on seeing the new Sonata as the website had been promising its arrival since at least Feb. So I shifted gears and took it out for a spin. It's a great car but what overwhelmed me the most was the quiet ride. I had it on both the interstate @ 75 mph as well as in town @ 35 mph. The road/wind noise at high speed was almost none. I've NEVER experienced such a quite ride. I put the car into neutral at a stoplight and I honestly couldn't tell if the engine was on - absolutely no noise or vibration. My only concern is I, like most others, did the back seat roominess test. I'm 6'1 and my head was brushing up against the roof, but otherwise back seat room was great. The dealer told me he'd give me a $500 "dealer" rebate if I went ahead and put a deposit down and was willing to wait for the car to come in. Up to this point, I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't do it.
    If that's the only discount the dealer is offering you, I'd try for more if I were you. You can point out that competitors like the Accord and Camry are going for invoice or below ($800 rebate on the Camry for example), and they have much higher predicted resale value than does the Sonata at this point. If they say "no, thanks", you can always buy at the $500 off if you want--nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of the Service Protections Plans? I can't help but feel that with the strong manufacturer's warranty along with improved vehicle quality, these plans are tough to justify.
    Think about it. On a Hyundai, there's no value to the protection plan for five years. It's only useful in years 5-10. So what if you take the $1000 or so that you'd pay for such a plan and invest it over 10 years. You could probably double your money in that time (if you don't just stick it in a savings account). The question is, what are the odds you will have more than $2000 in repairs outside of the powertrain in years 5-10? What are the odds you will still own the car after five years? Of course, the protection plan should help resale if you do choose to resell it in years 5-10, if it is transferrable. But $2000 worth? As Mr. Eastwood said, "How lucky do ya feel?"
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Normally I agree with backy, but we differ in opinion on this. If you keep your cars for close to 10 years, the cost of the Hyundai Protection Plan is very reasonable. It should cost you less than $1000, and for that you will be protecting over 14,000 parts between years 5 and 10 of ownership when these parts are more likely to break and of course more expensive to fix. It covers 100% parts and labor. It also adds rental car coverage that the standard warranty does not. And as backy pointed out, it is transferable if you do choose to sell your car.

Now as far as investing the money, that sounds like a great idea, but most people will not do it. If you are financing it is easier to pay an extra $20 per month or so, than it is to squirrel away an extra thousand.

Beyond that, being in the business I see many people trading 6 to 7 year old cars with 60,000 to 75,000 miles. I always ask them if they were still covered under full bumper to bumper warranty, would they still be trading? Most people tell me that they would not. So not only would this coverage save you on repairs in the future, but it will also prolong your ownership, putting off that next major purchase by a few years.
    You make some good points. For me, I'd rather have the cash up front. And my dealer does provide free loaners if a car is kept overnight. Maybe if I bought a more expensive, complex car and planned on keeping it over five years, I would spring for the protection plan. With my '01 Elantra being almost five years old, I'll see pretty soon if I made the right decision.
    I appreciate the opposing view. Actually, the dealer was trying to sell me on the non-Hyundai plan, this one being called "Easy Care," administered by APCO. I'm guessing it's more expensive the Hyundai's, though it could also be more comprehensive. But the dealer quoted me an approx. cost of $1500 for 10 year coverage, using a $200 deductible. Yes, as Backy Eastwood says, it all boils down to how lucky one feels. But given the deductible and the overall expense, I'm skeptical it's really worth it.
    If you do this, IMO you should go for the Hyundai program. Also, I got quotes on the 10-year warranty for my '04 Elantra ranging from just under $1000 to $1300. And that was when the car was almost one year old (you can buy the Hyundai extended warranty up to 1 year/12k miles). So it pays to call around. Any Hyundai dealer can sell you the warranty.
    Easy care does provide more coverage than the HPP. Namely their rental car coverage is immediate, meaning that any time you are in for warranty work all you need to do is ask for a rental car and you get it. With HPP it needs to be an overnite repair or the vehicle needs to be unsafe or illegal to operate. Easy care will also extend your roadside assistance for the entire term while HPP will not. A small thing, with Easy care your radio is covered, not with HPP. The price you were quoted is ridiculous with a $200 deductible. A 0 deductible Easy Care Total Care package can be had for that amount of money.

Still I recommend and sell HPP as it is backed by the manufacturer so you do not need to worry about them not trying to pay claims. They have your best interest in mind, while a third party warranty company only has profit in mind. You can purchase the HPP for up to one year. There are no mileage limitations, so you do have some time to consider it.
  • rrcrrc Member Posts: 30
    Good discussion on protection plans - the conventional wisdom is w/ Backy - invest/put the money in a bank account and draw it out if/when needed for repairs. But there's something about knowing you're covered. Piece of mind is worth a lot. My 02 Sonata just clicked 60K w/out any problems outside a piece of trim whipping off on the interstate. I wish somebody would do a study and report the % of protection plans that actually pay off - obviously they make money or they would not be offered.
    RE: 06 quiet ride - that is what impresses me most about the 02 also. The handling and accel are subpar, but comfort, ride, & reliability thus far can;t be beat. Especially for the money.
  • kingdomkingdom Member Posts: 1
    Right now the 2005 has great deals but 2006 is the new car everyone seems to be fawning over. Besides price, what is the differences between 2005 and the 2006? Why pick one over the other? Can't seem to find anything that discusses the differences between the new models and I could use the help in deciding. Thanks.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I finally got the opportunity to drive a Sonata last night at Metro Hyundai in Bloomington, MN (the dealer I love to hate). Actually I drove two - a 2006 GLS 4cyl auto and a 2005 base model with a 5spd manual back-to-back.

First off, the difference between the two cars was night and day. The 05 was loud, slow and judging from the sticker, quite inefficient (i.e., the worst of all worlds). I can see why this model always scored next to last along with the Kia Optima in C&D's midsize comparisons. It's not a bad car per se, it's just that everything else in the segment is more refined and modern. Like many here, I too like the exterior of the old model, but the interior leaves much to be desired.

As for the new model, for Hyundai loyalists, I can see a lot of appeal. Stepping out of an 05 immediately into an 06 was like entering a new dimension. It's a much more modern car. But unlike some others here I don't feel like Hyundai has leapfrogged the competition. Some observations:

The good...
    - The new 4 cyl. is a VAST improvement. Unfortunately, Metro didn't have an 06 with a manual but even with the slushbox, the car pulled strong and was very smooth throughout the range. The collaborative effort with Chrysler and Mitsubishi has yielded big dividends and *hopefully* this engine will be showing up in a large variety of products across all three manufacturers in the near future. It would be really nice if this engine were available as an upgrade on the next Elantra. Let's see... quiet, smooth, good mileage, torrid acceleration (in a lighter car) - could you ask for anything more (don't say Toyota)?
    - Although I personally feel that every automatic transmission on the face of the planet should be confiscated and destroyed, the unit on the model I drove shifted very well. Granted, I don't often drive them, but this one seemed to downshift more quickly and smoothly than what I've experienced in the past with automatics.
    - While it's probably not much of a consideration to most folks nowadays, I was particularly impressed that Hyundai spent the time and effort to engineer the layout under the hood so that future maintenance - either by backyard or "real" mechanics - wouldn't be a giant pain. All the filters and reservoirs were easy to access and well located. The lower air dam has a nice, wide circular opening under the front of the block forming a perfect halo around the oil filter you can stick your whole arm into. This tells me Hyundai was thinking about all the aspects of design and not just focusing on what the cheapest or easiest for them to engineer.
    -

The bad...
    - The paint quality was abysmal on the silver GL the dealer had on the showfloor. Hyundais have never been known for great paint quality but I was hoping for more on this new car. Someone in an earlier post mentioned some orange peel texture and yes, I saw some of this too but no more than any other car IMO. However, like my 02 Elantra, this new Sonata's color was very uneven and blotchy. Under the showroom lights you could actually tell what spots got more spray - and it was consistently inconsistent over the entire body. I know it's easier to spot imperfections and uneven spray on light metallic colors, but I don't have the best eyes on the planet, so if I'm seeing it, other "shoppers" will too. And if they're coming from a Honda shop they might not be as accepting.
    - All four doors, despite feeling very solid, opened with a tinny, hollow "popping" noise when I pulled the handles. A big deal? Not really. The Altima has tinny sounding doors too, but I've never noticed this with the Accord or Camry.
    - The steering feel, keeping with Hyundai tradition, was quite numb. Fortunately, it didn't have the overboosted feel of the outgoing model, but it still needs improvement in the feedback dept. Hyundai needs to take notes from Honda and Ford (along with sister co. Mazda) on this issue. Communicative steering can mean the difference between a rider's car and a driver's car. I truly believe this car could be fun to drive if it just had more responsive steering. That said, considering the target market (Hyundai has clearly designed this car for the American market)... I think most consumers here define "sportiness" by hp and acceleration numbers, not by steering or braking feel. So whether this hurts them (I can tell you the auto mags will be commenting on it) with the buying public is anyone's guess.

All in all, I think the new Sonata is a good design and step forward from the old model. Factor in the pricing, however, and there's no longer a big advantage to "go Hyundai". Whereas in the past (like with the 05 Sonata) you might've gotten a car that while not competitive with the best in class was STILL was a darn good deal. The new one is a big improvement, but at 22 large (the sticker for the GLS 4cyl. I drove), that great deal has become more of a fair deal.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Everything I read, see and hear say the "service Protection Plans are not worth the cost unless you are buying a make with a lousy repair history. Personally, I would not spend the money
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    think I've read that the payout is something like 20-25%. The dealer markup can run 100%. If a regulated insurance company charged that much for so little they'd be out of business.

ESP's make even less sense with Hyundais and Kias.
    Interesting comment about the "popping" sound when you opened the doors. I drove the Sonata GLS and Accord EX back-to-back yesterday and didn't notice any difference there. When I grabbed the Sonata's door handles, I noticed they could wiggle a bit. "Gee, that seems cheap!" I thought. But then I noticed the Accord's door handles wiggle in the same way.

On the steering, the Accord does have a better feel but I'll wager that 95% of the buyers in the Sonata's target market won't notice or won't care. They would if the Sonata's steering were sloppy, which it isn't.

The Sonata GLS I drove was over $2000 less than the Accord EX, and overall the Sonata had more equipment. Is $2000 enough of a difference? No, especially since Accords can be had for invoice or less with the Honda-to-dealer incentives. So what that means I think is that there will be rebates on the new Sonata in the not too distant future. The new Sonata is a very nice car, and betters the Accord in some ways, but until it has the proven to hold its value like the Accord, it will need to sell at a big discount. With a $2000+ head start, the rebates won't need to be as big as they are on the '05 Sonata. I think $2000-3000 under the Accord's discounted price will be enough.
    It will be interesting to see how Hyundai's rebate/pricing strategy pans out on this car. We should set up a board here and make our predictions. My guess is that a $500 owner loyalty rebate appears the beginning of July (the first people to buy these are going to be Hyundai loyalists looking to trade up) along with a rebate for owners of Altimas, Stratuses, Sebrings, Passats, 6s, Camries, Accords, Tauruses (Tauri?), Malibus and G6s (with the early conquest sales coming from primarily GM, Chrysler and Ford owners) who defect to Hyundai. By the end of the summer/beginning of September, I think it's reasonable to expect an additional consumer rebate of $500-$1000. And with the exception of the first few weeks of sales, you'll be able to fetch one for invoice give or take a couple hundred bucks. The value equation will begin to improve as early as next month IMO.

Autumn and later, all bets are off. So much of the incentive strategy will be determined from these early sales. Hyundai's goal of selling a million cars in the US by the end of decade (I could be mistaken but I think they've set it specifically for 2007) is likely contingent on, to a large degree, some fairly high volume numbers from the Sonata (figure at least 125K units annually). That's ambitious for any automaker. I think they'll hit it (Hyundai has made it clear that - at least for the remainder of the decade - margins are playing second fiddle to volume and share), but after the release of the new Accord and Camry next year, they might need to give it a booster shot with extra incentives. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if incentive levels were at the $2500 level again by this time next year. They've built a cushion into the pricing that makes it conceivable.
    Funny - I don't recall any wiggle. Maybe next time I'll notice one lol...it's amazing what you pick up on when you're actively looking for faults though. I wouldn't have caught the difference in upholstery between the GL and GLS if folks here weren't discussing it (which is weird in itself - I too found the GL fabric more attractive than that in the GLS).
  • nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    2006 Sonata doesn't bomb much like the mazda6 and the new Mitsu Galant.
    IMO "bomb" is pretty harsh for the Mazda6. It's perhaps the best handling and best looking family car out there, and reasonably priced to boot. "Bomb" may be too kind for the Galant. A Hyundai/Mitsu sales rep told me someone came in and drove the Galant and was none too impressed. Then he suggested they drive the '06 Sonata and they went "Oooooooooo, this is much better!"
    I just came back from our Hyundai dealer. Went with the 2006 Sonata GLS 4cyl. The dealer gave me a $500 "feel good" rebate and then another $430 trade in for my '92 Camry with 214k on it (it still runs well, but I was prepared to give it away for 0). So, barring any unforseen charges - and I was told there wouldn't be any - the bottom line was $20k even. Could I have gotten a better deal? Perhaps, but I'm a car dealer's best friend as I don't have it in me to grind their gears beyond what I feel is reasonable. Considering my test drive with the '06, considering all that I've read about the new Sonata, considering what comes with the GLS, I feel good for what I got at the price I paid. Now, it is a question as to how long I wait for the car to show up.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it looks to me like you got a good deal. Haggle until you feel good about your purchase then just look forward to your new purchase. From backy's review and gogophers and others, you have bought yourself a very nice car that should give you years of driving enjoyment. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• buzzard767buzzard767 Member Posts: 14
    I ordered a loaded LX, invoice $22,839, MSRP $24,895. I expected to pay somewhere in the middle. The dealer had tacked on $800 to the retail plus a $500 dealer fee. My trade was worth $4000. When the negotiating was finished I paid their price but got the trade up to $7000. Believe me when I say the trade-in is only worth $4000. The bottom line is that I'm paying $356 over dealer invoice because of the increase in trade-in which I consider to be a more than fair price considering the newness of it all. What do you guys think?

Buzz
    Congrats to you and dee12!

To our Friendly Host: with all these '06 Sonatas being purchased, is it time to move this discussion out of Future Vehicles?
    Anything below sticker price right now is a good deal. It sounds like you did a little better than good.
  • fadilfadil Member Posts: 21
    Hi, dee12. Congratulation on your new Sonata. The reason I am replying to you is my wife's purchase of brand new Toyota Camry LE with side air bags as an option for $19.999 (invoice price) one month ago. If for some reason you could wait for couple of months, you would get that Sonata for couple thousands less. :sick:
    I ordered a loaded LX, invoice $22,839, MSRP $24,895. I expected to pay somewhere in the middle. The dealer had tacked on $800 to the retail plus a $500 dealer fee. My trade was worth $4000. When the negotiating was finished I paid their price but got the trade up to $7000. Believe me when I say the trade-in is only worth $4000. The bottom line is that I'm paying $356 over dealer invoice because of the increase in trade-in which I consider to be a more than fair price considering the newness of it all. What do you guys think?

You'd be the only one who can make that judgement (it's totally dependent on the real market value of your trade). If you're satisfied with the deal, that's the important thing. Now that you've bought it, you don't want to be second guessing yourself.

For the rest, we have a term in the marketing industry for the first folks that buy a product and that is "early adopters". These are the folks who are willing to pay more (and will) to have one of the first copies of an item.

Bottom line - if cost is a primary concern and you can afford to wait, wait. You'll swing a better deal by waiting. But folks NEEDING a car NOW obviously don't have that liberty. And if you want an early copy (you're one of these early adopters) and you're willing to pay that premium, go ahead and pull the trigger. Just don't - even now - pay full MSRP. No one on this board has made the mistake of paying full sticker yet and you don't want to be the first.
    Other reasons not to pay full sticker for a '06 Sonata--recent purchase prices of Accords from the Edmunds.com discussion:

LX manual (comparable to the GL manual): $17,300 + T&L
    EX automatic (comparable to the GLS with moonroof): $19,900 + T&L

In today's paper I saw Camry LX automatics advertised for about $18k; I've seen them in the $17's. The Sonata is very competitive with other cars in its class but it's not worth a price premium, IMO. (Sorry, Dan!) If your Hyundai dealer won't be reasonable, go shop the other fine cars in this group: Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda6, Malibu, Five Hundred to name a few.
  • buzzard767buzzard767 Member Posts: 14
    You'd be the only one who can make that judgement (it's totally dependent on the real market value of your trade). If you're satisfied with the deal, that's the important thing. Now that you've bought it, you don't want to be second guessing yourself.

Trust me, my friend. My trade in is likely worh LESS than $4000.

Buzz
    Thanks for the congrats. I really couldn't wait much longer as my current car, a '92 Camry with 214k on the odometer is in too much need of repair to go several more months. At this point, I refuse to put any more money into it. The car though was outstanding and I spent quite a bit of time deliberating between a new Camry and the Sonata. I did my Camry pricing only on-line, so as best as I could determine, to get the model which came closest to all the features of the '06 GLS, you pretty much needed to hit their top model (SE?) And then the price difference was closer to $5000. I won't know until years down the road if I made the right decision, but at least for the moment, I have no regrets - neither about the car nor the price paid.
    I agree Mazda6 is the most sporty looking midsize vehicle out there now. I was just referring to poor than expected sales number for mazda 6. Mazda had initially hoped to sell something like 150k units a year in NA but sales number never materialized.
    I think its all demand and supply. Some ppl may prefer to buy something that is different from cam/accord/altima/maz6 and if they find the 06 sonata appealing, than they will buy one with little or no discount.

People were paying msrp or more for Santa Fe when it was first introduced.
  • dlavidlavi Member Posts: 13
    I drove an 06 Sonata GLS 4cyl today. I was impressed. the interior is nice. the power in the 4cyl is good. The car is amazingly quiet and smooth. The interior space and trunk space are impressive. It fees like a very solid, refined and much more expensive car then it is. The only thing that would be nice would be a little sportier feel to the steering.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    when they first came out. By early 05 I got 6 grand off a Maxx with equal features and size to the new Sonata without even trying. I could have picked up a Malibu V6 sedan for a few hundred less.People with a GM card were paying $14K. I would expect the Sonata V6 to be somewhere in that range within a year.

Malibus aren't the best looking car of the bunch but the recent IFCAR comparo put them ahead of Altima and Mazda 6-- third out of 20 medium and large V6's right behind the Camcords. The previous gen. Optima and Sonata tied for ninth, not bad for that old a car. I would expect the new version would be somewhere in the top five or six, but I doubt if the Sonata will be able to command prices near the Accord or Camry.

http://ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.midsizeandlargesedans.htm

Remember twenty years ago when motorcycle magazines talked about the UJM-- universal Japanese motorcycle with a 750 cc straight four engines? I'm afraid Hyundai has reached the level of universal Asian car. The car is undoubtedly better than the last platform, but I think it looks a bit like the second generation late 90's Sonata. At that time it was pretty difficult to differentiate the styling of a Sonata from a Mitsu. Galant-- both were straight down the line derivative.

The third generation Sonata was at least different even if a bit baroque. I tried on a couple of occasions to buy one at the supposed deep discount that Hyundai detractors talk about when they say that book values don't apply when you trade a Korean car. In both cases the Sonata sold quickly at what I thought was a premium price, they certainly didn't take my offer. Ten years from now that car will join a handful of others-- including a 1967 Saab 2 stroke-- that I'd always wished I'd bought but that got away. In the meantime I'm driving a car that is infinitely weirder than the Sonata and yet has a stronger dealer network where I'm not jerked around like a complete rube.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Agreeing as far as pricing is concerned...

And on top of that this market, while already competitive, is going to get THAT much more competitive come the Fall of this year.

The Accord gets a MAJOR facelift..and will probably add some features that were once unavailable.

The new Camry, which we now have PICS of, is coming in the early part of 06.
    It undoutbtly sportier than ANY Camry that has hit the market..though the rear reminds me of the Azera.

Then the Altima will be redone by the middle of 06 as well. Supposedly with a sedan, coupe and perhaps a wagon verison (I SERIOUSLY doubt that).

And the Mazda6 gets an extensive facelift as well. But to me, it doesn't look as sporty.

Lets not forget about the new Fusion/Milian/Zephyr, which will evidentually come with optional AWD. (though not at introduction)

And the rumor mill is that the Chrysler twins get full redesigns in 06 as well.

And then we have the new Chevy Twins (Impala/Monte Carlo) which I don't find very competitive, but they are getting extensive facelifts this year too.

And finally, we'll have a brand new Passat coming on the stage within the next couple months (August). That car is the car that started all the changes in this market...we'll see how it turns out this time around. This car will undoubtly be more expensive than the Sonata, but it will still compete with it somewhat.

I personally don't find the new Passat all that attractive..but that's subjective.

I am sure this new Sonata is one helluva competitive car, but with the way things move in this class, we will see how long it goes without the 'bates.

Because within the next year, we'll be seeing quite a few new sedans hitting the market.

And from the pics of this new Camry, I'm tempted to trade my ALTIMA in for it, come Feb. 06!

I will be so GLAD if I get to intern with Toyota next year!!!

and oh yea, pics of the new Camry are here....

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t81131.html
    That IS a great looking car (new Camry), but in a way the introduction of a new Camry will help the Sonata, unless the Camry is miles ahead of the Sonata (which would be hard to do). My reasoning is that an all-new Camry will go for list or near-list for awhile, while the current Camry can be had with a rebate and big discounts. So that will make it easier for the Sonata to compete price-wise with the Camry. And it looks like by the spring of '06, the Camry will be the Sonata's toughest challenger. One thing I wonder is if Toyota will pull the same thing they did with the Gen 4 Camry ('97-'01) and re-use the chassis from the previous gen, since the chassis was re-done for '02. Or will they tune it to have better handling?

It's a very tough market, this mid-sized class. But consider that Hyundai hasn't fired all its bullets yet on the Sonata. It still has the trick rear suspension, nav system, and a sports version that it could get to the U.S. whenever it wants to.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I almost took that car comparo seriously, until I saw they ranked the Taurus as high as 13th. I just spent a week with one on vacation (they promised me a Malibu Maxx, too) and found it totally pathetic. Hideously outdated.
    I don't see how the Camry can't be, since the latest Sonata is so much better than the current one, and is comparable with the Accord/Camry/Altima not just on price..but for refinement, features, etc.

Anything is possilbe, and with the way Toyota does things, they are going to be hitting all the tough areas in this market. Toyota has some pretty HIGH standards...

Futhermore, with Toyota fashion, this new Camry will be either the same price or slightly cheaper than the current one.

The did the same thing with the 02. It was cheaper than the comparable 01, yet it had more standard equipment.

Futhermore, with Toyota's need to want to remain Number 1 in sales, they probably won't go for MSRP for long. I remember back when the 02 debuted. I was then looking for a car, and they only went for MSRP in my infamous SET region for a couple months.

A car can't be the best selling car if they have so many of them...if its a limited product, then maybe so, but the new Camry won't go for MSRP for very long.

Another example is the latest Odyssey...everybody and their mother thought it would go for MSRP like the last one did, but alas, my family was just quoted a deal for $400 UNDER invoice for the new Odyssey.

On top of that, come Spring 06, the Sonata might have to deal with more than just the new Camry..because the new Altima is supposed to be out by that time too.

With the way Nissan updated the 05, I can only expect greater things from the 07.

And then a little over a year after that, Honda will be coming out with the new Accord which will probably again benchmark the Camry (like it always does)

And so far in this class, features like Navigation systems and trick rear suspensions have not been very popluar..and are usually sold in the higher end models. Go to any Honda/Nissan/Toyota dealership and you will not see many cars on the lots with Navigation systems. But they are becoming more popular.

The sport model will be nice to have too, but so far, as so many have stated, sport isn't really all that big in this class...which makes me wonder why toyota has put so much style in this new Camry. People were quick to say the Mazda6 isn't a big seller and the Camry SE is not a big seller either.

But the Altima has done well since its redesign..and few people call it bland..but styling is subjective.

With the latest rumors, it seems like Honda and Toyota are trying to take it back to the 1980s and early 1990s, when their cars had at least some type of styling theme.

The Accord of 1986-1989 and 1990-1992 were definately more sporty than the latest ones, and the Camry from 1992-1996 was better as well...they are going back to those roots I think...
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "And then a little over a year after that, Honda will be coming out with the new Accord which will probably again benchmark the Camry (like it always does)"

the current accord benchmarked the Passat if it benchmarked anybody. it's the accord that's considered the benchmark in this class.
    Because from what I was trying to say is that the Accord IS the BENCHMARK..

And that once the Camry is redesigned, the Accord will again be redesigned by 2008 and will probably remain the benchmark.

The current Accord benchmarked THEM ALL..Camry, Altima, Passat, etc. etc.