Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have an LX on order. My dealer is offering free tires for life if I get the car serviced at their shop.

OK, let me see if I understand this correctly, you pay INFLATED DEALER PRICES for maintenance, only to have them give you a "Free" set of tires what---every 35,000 to 40,000 miles? If you pencil this out it is not going to make much sense. This is not to mention all the "service" that the dealer comes up with that is not even printed in the owner's manual.

STAY AWAY.....STAY AWAY.......
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
  • Options
    vjtvjt Member Posts: 6
    I recently test drove a 2006 Sonata with a V6 5speed automatic transmission. At 50 mph, I floored the accelerator as I would when passing another vehicle and I experienced about a 3 second lag before it responded smoothly. I did this twice and the response was the same. The time lag seemed to be slightly longer than with the new Avalon and much smoother than the 2005 Highlander, which jerked into gear after a lag when I tried the same test. This lag seems to occur most often with V6 5 speed transmissions introduced since 2002 with Toyotas, Lexus,and others since then.
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    You can take your used oil to any Autozone store for recycling without charge. I'm sure that other parts stores do the same thing. The Jiffy-Lube type places are harder to deal with and may not take your used oil. But there is no excuse not to recycle.... the used oil has too many other uses to be thrown out or dumped in the ground.
  • Options
    I recently test drove a new Toyota Camry V6 and the lag time was bad enough to make me not want to buy the car. The salesman tried to dismiss it as the car wasn't broken in yet, but I had already read similar complaints from owners here on Edmunds and told him so. I think the lag time is there because so many things are computer controlled these days, it gets complex making everything work smoothly between the hardware and software. The other comment that I get from dealers is that these are not race cars and were not meant to be. I understand your concerns,,,, the hesitation bothers me too. I also drove the 4cly Camry and it had good power for a 4-banger.
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The lag happens to many Toyotas. I use to own a Corolla whenever i want to floor it, it would hesitate for a few seconds and then kick in i find it very dangerous when you want to quickly make a right/left turn or pass someone on a highway. I just test drove a Camry SE V6 I also tried a Hwy passing manuever and i think it improved but still has lag. I also test drove an Accord and found it the most responsive. I havent Test drove a Sonata yet...
  • Options
    Toyota Camry 4cyl... was impressed with the power this car has for a 4-banger. It is noisy when you get into the throttle while entering a highway. Not bad overall except I don't like the small tires on the Camry's.

Toyota Camry 6cyl... nice ride, but there is an annoying hesitation between the time you press the gas and the car actually moves. I can't believe Toyota let this car out of design stage with this hesitation problem. The Camry isn't a bad car, but it's interior and styling are kind of plain-jane looking to me. Again... I hate the small tires.

Ford 500.... I test drove a Ford 500 Limited and the dealer even let me drive it home over night without me even asking! The 500 cruises well on the highway, but is not as quiet as it should be. It is a little under-powered, but it will get a 250hp engine in 2007. A navigation system and a few other options will be offered in 2006. The 500 is a nice car, but there were too many things I didn't like about it to buy one right now.

Hyundai Sonata.... (2006) WOW...Is this a Hyundai? I would have never considered a Hyundai until I saw the new Sonata. I drove the V6 last night and was very impressed with the car. It was almost closing time when we got to the dealer to look at the Sonata. We talked to a salesman about the Sonata and were about to leave. The more I looked at the car, the more it said "drive me!!" We went back into the dealership to ask if it was possible to take a test drive even though it was closing time. They paged the salesman who was already in his car leaving when he heard the page. He came back and took us for a test drive. I like the way the Sonata drives and I like the large tires. I think if Hyundai would have been offering some incentives right now, we would have brought the Sonata home with us. I'm still pushing for an overnight test drive, which the salesman told me was "possible". The salesman said one reason they aren't offering incentives on the '06 Sonata is because they still have a lot of '05 models to unload, so that's were the incentives are right now. I hope Hyundai doesn't wait too long because they will lose sales on the '06. I want to get rid of my Pontiac Grand Am ASAP! Come on Hyundai... I want a new car... give me a reason!
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    It was almost closing time when we got to the dealer to look at the Sonata. We talked to a salesman about the Sonata and were about to leave. The more I looked at the car, the more it said "drive me!!" We went back into the dealership to ask if it was possible to take a test drive even though it was closing time. They paged the salesman who was already in his car leaving when he heard the page.

YOU ARE A CAR SALESMAN'S WORST NIGHTMARE. Have some consideration for the poor guy! Customers can be so inconsiderate!
  • Options
    "YOU ARE A CAR SALESMAN'S WORST NIGHTMARE. Have some consideration for the poor guy! Customers can be so inconsiderate!"

We were not being inconsiderate! I told the sales manager that I understood they were about to close and that if it was too late for a test drive... that was OK! He insisted that is wasn't too late and got another salesman to help us when our original salesman came back into the showroom. The test drive took less than ten minutes of his time. I don't think that was being inconsiderate if he gets a sale in the end for staying ten minutes after hours.

Sometimes I have to stay after hours at my job too.... that's life!
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    If that salesmen wanted to make money, he would have CAME back...like he did.

He probably could have been halfway home and turned around and came back if he wanted to make the money bad enough.

LOL
  • Options
    "I don't think that was being inconsiderate IF he gets a sale in the end for staying ten minutes after hours. "

Yes, IF he gets the sale. Odds are you will go somewhere else if you can save a few bucks. . . He will get nothing for staying late for a test drive after the store had closed!
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    and like I said, if he wanted to make a sale, he would have come back..like he did.

Just like with any job, you do what you must to make ends meet....espeically if Joe Bob @ Anywhere Hyundai was having a slow month.
  • Options
    denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    I emailed Michelin to see which is correct.
    It will be interesting to find out. I hope it is mine, but we will see.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    >> Odds are you will go somewhere else if you can save a few bucks

The person has posted nothing to substantiate that statement ... calm down, please, personal attacks are not appropriate.
  • Options
    sorry . . but I used to sell cars for a living . .

what a horrible job that was . .
  • Options
    Your site is the Canadian version.
  • Options
    delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    I test drove the new Sonata, an LX V6. Nice, quiet riding car. Interior was a too bland. In comparison to the '05 LX Sonata's interior which was elegantly styled, the Interior of the LX leaves much to be desired and needs a make-over. ASAP!
  • Options
    kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    My wife and I like the clean lines of the interior of the LX. We prefer the carbon fiber trim over the 'plastic' wood grain. All controls are easy to locate & use in an uncluttered layout.
  • Options
    I was not impressed with the instrument panel at first.
    Once I took delivery of my Dark Cinnamon LX, I got a whole different impression of it. It is uncluttered, all controls are easily accessible. The radio controls on the steering wheel are great. I unlike you, prefer the woodgrain trim over the silver trim.
    I traded in a 02 Sonata GLS.
  • Options
    parth1983parth1983 Member Posts: 1
    i like the car too.............but i find 2 problems with the sonata......

1. the ripped off the back end from the new accord............

2. the resale value. nobody keeps their cars for more than 5-6 years nowadays............if you go with the toyota/honda you get 1/2 of your money back after that time......b/c they actually hold their value................with hyundais......you end up getting 5000 dollars less than the honda/toyota. so where's the value?? even if it's cheaper in the beginning, you still don't know about it's long term durability, prestige factor, and quality/engineering.

so in reality, you'd be a fool to buy the sonata unless you are going to keep it for more than 8 or 9 years.
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    anyone heard anymore specifics around hyundai offering navigational systems?
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Kudos to Hyundai for doing it right.

The Sonata is an awesome car. Things I liked:

- Engine power
    - Quiet cabin
    - Decent handling
    - Trip computer
    - Multi-link hinges for the trunk lid
    - Exterior styling
    - Standard ABS, traction control, stability control and curtain airbags
    - Driver's side window anti-pinch protection (should be standard on all windows)
    - HUGE trunk
    - Very good brake modulation and control
    - Shiftronic 5 speed transmission
    - Hood held open with a gas strut
    - NO, I repeat, NO squeaks or rattles of any kind!

Things that need improvement:

- Steering wheel audio controls need a bi-directional seek or scan button
    - Interior styling is so-so. Maybe it was all the fake wood.
    - Enough with the yellow/green back lighted instruments! Sonata needs to offer the kind of instrument back lighting that the Accord has.
    - No nav availability (yet)
    - Some exterior colors are too dark. Deepwater Blue looks almost black. Dark Cinnamon lives up to its name (at least the dark part). I was expecting Aquamarine to be more of a light blue, instead it is medium to dark blue.

For the money, I think Hyundai has a winner on its hands. It's definitely on my short list to replace the 2002 Elantra I am currently driving sometime in the next 6-8 months.
  • Options
    2008 models will see the navigation system. That's the word I got last night from a dealer after test driving an '06 LX. I didn't get the feeling that the dealer was too eager to sell the '06 Sonata's yet. The impression I got was sort of like "take it or leave it". I told him I might be back when and if Hyundai starts offering incentives on the '06 models.
    He confirmed that the '06 models weren't moving very well in our market, but he said they are selling well in the southern markets. Time will tell.
  • Options
    I agree that the blue and the black look almost alike. The salesman pointed this out to me after I told him did not want a black car which the LX was. I have not seen the other colors you mentioned yet except for the dark blue.
  • Options
    hmm wonder if someone like best buy or circuit city could replace the dash cd player with a navigational system and custom fix the dash opening to be exactly double din size fitting against the navi unit?

Anyone have any experience with custom work like this?
  • Options
    I'm sure it could be done by a custom shop, but I would not trust Best Buy or Circuit City to do that type of custom work. They are more limited to basic installs.
  • Options
    hyundai's current rebates run out on July 4th.. so maybe we'll see something come along for the Sonata then??? I'm not expect much though...anyone know?
  • Options
    There is no markup premium being charged here in NC, but I was told that the Florida market was pretty hot now for the '06 Sonata. So maybe the dealer is hoping to find some sucker that will pay premium price for the newer model.
  • Options
    When will the Sonata get standard XM Satellite radio?
  • Options
    The dealer in my area is being tight-lipped about any rebates or finance options on the '06 Sonata. They claim the car is competitive as is. I guess it will depend on how many '05 models are left and how well the '06 models are selling versus what they have in inventory. If they aren't moving fast enough then Hyundai may have no choice but to offer incentives. I doubt you will see any incentives for at least a few months. It all depends on how good or bad the market is doing... hence the current huge incentives at GM and Ford.
  • Options
    I didn't inquire about the XM radio, but they did say the navigation systems are coming most likely in the '08 model year.
  • Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    nobody keeps their cars for more than 5-6 years nowadays

Not true. Not everyone has financial myopia and/or insatiable car lust.

so in reality, you'd be a fool to buy the sonata unless you are going to keep it for more than 8 or 9 years.

This is a kind of ridiculous assertion in my opinion. Basically you're saying that a Sonata has no merits over its competition other than starting price, which you say is easily negated by its competitors' superior retained value, which is assumed. You should consider that some people might actually prefer the styling, interior, driving dynamics, etc of the Sonata over its competitors. Some people might feel comfortable with the Sonata's durability and engineering. Perhaps you should consider, in reality of course, that some people might actually think the Sonata is the better car. From that perspective, choosing the Sonata doesn't seem so foolish, does it?
  • Options
    they may be coming out on the 2008's but when will they be an OPTION for ones now? that is the main question. I've heard anytime from this fall until sometime next year? who knows?
  • Options
    These things take time.... it's not like they can snap their fingers and have one installed. The system has to be designed, tested, manufactured, and then phased into production. That's more work than it seems. Plus I'm sure Hyundai is still working out any remaining kinks at their new factory in Alabama.
  • Options
    true... but the fact they already have them overseas I would think would mean it wouldn't take too long to design
  • Options
    beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    The Hyundai dealer in Clearwater Fl. is selling all models (4 cyl & 6cyl alike) of the 2006 Sonata BELOW invoice, no gimmicks, no add ons. Out the door prices posted on all cars. These folks are for real. I purchased a 2005 Accent there last year. best buying experience of ANY dealer I've dealt with by far

Believer
  • Options
    motorsmotors Member Posts: 1
    $3100 for a 2006 Sonata Lease, don't know what the rebate on the buy is?
    $1750 for buying a 2005 Sonata and upto $3400 (New Graduate + Hyundai loyalty)
  • Options
    What is the Hyundai loyalty discount? Also... where did you find the rebates for 2006 Sonata? Their website isn't showing any
  • Options
    chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    that's cause they aren't offering any rebate or low interest financing. wait 6 months this board says. In the meantime, I'm getting frustrated with the hyundai. I got a 2004 EX-L accord. Thinking of getting another accord and forgetting about the unproven sonata 2006 model. my ex-l drives better than the sonata, hands down. (both 4 cyl versions so I can comment on the 6 which I bet is nice but it's more bucks)
  • Options
    Sonata is the only car in its class that has TipTronic feature standard on the auto transmission. Suppossedly it was licensed through VW.

What other cars at this price have the feature standard?
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    I believe the Hyundai loyalty discount is a rebate given to current owners of a Hyundai vehicle. I've seen this rebate go as high as $1500 (maybe higher) depending on the model you are buying. Maybe it's Hyundai's way of thanking Hyundai owners for taking a chance on a Korean car. :P

It would be nice if Hyundai was offering a $1500+ owner loyalty discount if/when I decide to trade in my Elantra and buy a Sonata.
  • Options
    kevin04kevin04 Member Posts: 1
    The Hyundai dealer in Clearwater Fl. is selling all models (4 cyl & 6cyl alike) of the 2006 Sonata BELOW invoice, no gimmicks, no add ons. Out the door prices posted on all cars. These folks are for real. I purchased a 2005 Accent there last year. best buying experience of ANY dealer I've dealt with by far

Believer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------

Could you tell me the name of dealer ship

TIA
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since you believe the Accord EX-L drives much better than the Sonata, why even spend ten seconds considering the Sonata, especially since its newness seems to bother you? Go buy another Accord and enjoy driving it. The Sonata won't do you any good if you don't like driving it.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Mazda6 has a manumatic autoshifter standard on any model with an automatic tranny. In fact, even their lower-buck Mazda3 has that feature.
  • Options
    I hear you loud and clear. I hate when dealers drive with you on the test drive. I drove it maybe 2-3 miles and then my wife the same. He did say come back and take it for 4 hours or so and put 50 miles on it since we said we'd have to come back and drive it some more. I mean geez, how can you drvie a car 2-3 miles and have an opinion on it (a valid one)??? I do need to drive it some more to either love it or rule it out. I did edmunds.com TMV on the car and it said 19400 before tag, taxes etc.... The car is 20K MSRP, and about 18500 invoice (includes delivery). I think I'll wait for the rebates to take it lower.
  • Options
    You hit it right on the head. They won't offer any rebates on the 2006 sonata's cause they have a lot of the '05's (heck, the dealer in my town has maybe 30 of them to get rid of). I like the '06 but need to test drive it more. In the meantime, I don't want to pay 19K or more for a sonata when I can get a camry or accord for under 18K and maybe under 17K or a little higher. If hyundai offered a rebate (and low dealer financing like honda/toyota), I'd bite. Until then, I'm losing interest and might take my money elsewhere.
  • Options
    dfochtdfocht Member Posts: 6
    This is my first Hyundai and I can say without hesitation that this is one of the finest cars I have owned.. Yes I have only had my 2006 Sonata for a little over a month but even in that short period of time I can see the quality that has been built in. I have owned and driven Jags, Lincolns, Suzukis, Triumphs and a whole lot more and I can say that this is one of the quietest and best riding cars of them all. I got a really good deal from my dealer. He didn't have any discounts on the 06 but gave me one heck of a trade in. I think quality counts a little more then discount but I got what I thought was a really good deal in the end. :)
  • Options
    I'm glad you are enjoying your '06 Sonata. If you feel good about the deal you got, that's good too. I just hope you won't be kicking yourself in a few months when the real deals arrive. But I guess someone has to buy them early to let us procrastinators know what we're missing. :D I like the '06 Sonata, but the whole package (Car/Deal/Financing) has to come together and feel right for me to make the plunge. That hasn't happened for me yet on the Sonata. A few other cars are still on my top five list, so it's really up to Hyundai whether or not the Sonata will be my final choice.
  • Options
    starriverstarriver Member Posts: 26
    I agree that Hyundai has to do more as a responsible manufacture.
    I have an elantra 02 and I am happy with the car, but not with HYUNDAI.
    I moved to new place after I bought the car and I sent hyundai an address updating form and made a call as well. But I did not get 3 recall letters .
    I asked the reason for that and they told me that the mail was bounced. It turns out they still use the old address,(when I buy the car) even though they have my new address.
    I also did not get the horse power related mails. For someone who never moves, hyundai is a good choice.