Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    but its just not just Hyundai who have problem with updating customer info. Honda still has my old address after numerous attempts to update my current address.
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    just found out from a hyundai dealer in FL that "navigation items will be available mid july" and oh yea.. I just got a quote from another dealer of $22,000 LX fullyloaded :) - but gonna wait on those navis
  • Options
    dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    just found out from a hyundai dealer in FL that "navigation items will be available mid july" and oh yea.. I just got a quote from another dealer of $22,000 LX fullyloaded - but gonna wait on those navis

According to everyone else, the US Sonata won't get a Navi system until MY08. :confuse:
  • Options
    delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Factory discounts on the '06 Sonata will largely depend on demand. For example, the Chrysler 300, due largely to continued demand currently has very modest incentives. On Edmunds TMV Pricing report there is a $500 loyalty rebate or $500 competitive brand trade-in. If the newly re-designed Sonata under performs in the market place look for early incentives in an attempt to stimulate higher sales.

However, if sales live up to Hyundai's projection then look for lower incentives. It all relates back to the basic laws of supply and demand.
  • Options
    maybe 2008 is when they will come factory installed in the car and they will just be able to purchase from hyundai (navigation unit and installation kit/dash frame) in July??? I'll let you know more when I find out this week
  • Options
    Here ya go!!!

Hyundai parts departments got (or will be receiving) a flier on the navi from hyundai but it has no pricing for it. It will be available in mid-july and that is only a couple of weeks away!!!
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    That Hyundai wouldn't wait until 2008 to sale Navi systems...

Considering EVERY one of the Sonata's main competitors offers it right now..with the except of the Malibu.

The Accord, Camry and Altima have them available right now...
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    I would also think that Hyundai wouldn't add such a major option to the Sonata so quickly after introducing the car. If they were going to add nav this quickly, why not include it in all the brochures as a "late availability" option? I don't see an option for nav or even a hint of an option for nav on any of the U.S. Hyundai web sites.

I dunno...call me pessimistic, but I don't see Hyundai offering nav on the Sonata until the 2007 model year at the earliest. Besides, I don't think they have the infrastructure in place in North America to support this option yet. Like offering XM radio as standard equipment, Hyundai needs to get all the licensing done and the radios updated to include the capability to receive XM broadcasts.

I think you'll see satellite radio in the Sonata before you see a nav system.
  • Options
    mononeomononeo Member Posts: 89
    I too disagree that navigation will be offered as a dealer add-on in mid-July. We all would know about this. Why hasn't it been included in any press material? Hyundai does not have the infrastructure currently. The only possible way I see this happening (which would be later on, and not in mid-July), is if Hyundai purchased units of the dealer add-on units that it's kind-of-sister brand Chrysler offers...which you can see on Autoblog.com. I don't see that happening however. Next to no Hyundai owners want navigation. Navigation is installed in 2% of US vehicles (which I think is included in the archived Autoblog article), and that's not enough to make Hyundai even care at this point.

Also, depending on how you look at it, the Chevrolet Malibu does come equipped with navigation in the form of OnStar.
  • Options
    really guys? anyone wanta make a small wager on this? I have proof from 2 different hyundai dealerships which both say they have just now been notified hyundai will offer navi units as an option/accessory in their vehicles beginning in mid-july
  • Options
    Define proof, please. If you are relying on hearsay or verbal promises from dealers, that doesn't impress me. A dealer will say just about anything to make sure a prospective buyer doesn't go to the competition.

Show me written notification from Hyundai. Until I see something in writing from Hyundai (a press release or changes to their website), or an actual factory-installed nav unit in a U.S. spec Sonata, I still believe that it's all wishful thinking.

If I'm right, you are setting yourself up for a major letdown. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly apologize. ;)
  • Options
    johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    I test drove this car.
    The leather seats can be better on the LX model. Not enough of foam and cushioning.
    Though adding air bags- six of them is cheaper way, and appealing to many , looks impressive,
    making the body structure strong with better protection from side impacts makes it great car. The Hyundai website or the 06 brochure does not say much about it except crumple zones
    I heard that sonata 05 got good ratings in the frontal collision, but it fared poorly in side impacts in the Insurance industry tests.
    I will wait for the Aazera and for the collision tests.By that bugs-if any initial recals,will be over. Dealers may be willing to deal.- as probably they will clear all the 2005 inventory.
    One asumption is since this car weighs 3380 pounds it is well built.
  • Options
    boltmanboltman Member Posts: 85
    They finally started showing up in San Diego today! I got the first customer test drive at this dealer and liked the LX very much. It has a nice stable ride and very little body lean in the corners. Acceleration is good and it is very quite when cruising. Have no serious complaints overall. I really think this is the best car for the $$$. Did I buy it...not yet because after some negotiations they still only offered MSRP...can't relly blame them they just got them in today! I have a REALLY GOOD offer from another dealer so I'll let you all know how it goes after he gets his LX's... for now I don't want to jinx anything. I'll keep you updated as negotiations continue.
  • Options
    I believe it is not going to be a factory option... but more of an 'accessory' that can be dealer installed... this is why they aren't press releasing it since it's not a big deal to some/most people.

Plus...they haven't even released the pricing yet... just the info on it to the parts departments at hyundai dealers.

you'll see within the next 2 months I'll have a sonata with a navi in it :)
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    In regards to Navigation Hyundai's do have navigation over seas in places such as Korea. I don't know the specifics on why the us cars don't have navi but it is provided in other markets. I have included a few links. The last link is in Korean but Hyundai has some nice cars that are not in the US. They also have diesel cars that we don't see yet but might be seeing soon do to high oil prices.

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/

www.mozen.com

http://www.hyundai.com.au/company_news_050303.asp

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/index.html
  • Options
    A new report on 2002 Hyundai models shows great strides in number of problems per make. Just think with four more years under their belt where they will be with the 2006's.... GO Hyundai!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ------------------------

Although still hovering below the industry average, Hyundai records a dramatic 115 PP100 improvement (31%).

"Hyundai experienced similar levels of improvement in the 2002 IQS, when these vehicles were new, which shows a successful effort by Hyundai in translating short-term quality improvements into higher long-term quality," said Parker. "Even though there is still room for improvement, Hyundai is a great example of an automaker that is making strides toward improving vehicle quality by paying close attention to owner feedback and designing products with both short- and long-term quality in mind."
  • Options
    Here's the 2002 Long-term ratings for the 2002 Sonata...

Mechanical OOOOO
    Feature and Accessory OOO
    Body and Interior OOOOO
    Overall OOOO

Awardee

OOOOO = AMONG THE BEST
    OOOO = BETTER THAN MOST
    OOO = DOES NOT STAND OUT
    OO = THE REST
  • Options
    wincrasherwincrasher Member Posts: 12
    Probably more of a software issue than a hardware one. Aren't these things proprietary systems? Maps of Korea wouldn't be very helpful in the US. ;)

From a marketing angle - if you are selling cars to people primarily motivated by low price, why include a $2500 hardware item that very few will opt for? They' pretty much have laid out a strategy to sell these cars on safety features and low price.

So if you're hell bent on adding one of these nearly useless things to your car, you are probably going to pay thru the nose at the parts counter and have to install it yourself - and probably no warranty on it since it's "electrical",
  • Options
    acurattleacurattle Member Posts: 35
    A black LX arrived in San Jose a few days ago. Just off the truck. It had paper on trunk, roof, hood, held on by tape. Stickers on mirrors, plastic over the moonroof cover, climate control, and audio system. This was my first Hyundai test drive, and I was first customer to test this LX. Audio system not operating yet -- fuse missing or something. Car was smoothe, quick, quiet, and very comfortable. Now I'm just waiting for a V6 GLS, any other color than black or white. LX is nice, but don't want the 'premium' sound system, moonroof, telescoping wheel, or leather seats. Like climate control, but will bypass that for the extra savings of the base GLS...
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    It's not really a hardware issue. They operate on different frequencies from us but it's not a big deal to change the programming. The price of the cars shouldn't go up much either since it is already an offered feature on current Sonatas being sold elsewhere. If you take a look at the Korean Sonata they have many more safety features than we have here in the US also.

In regards to cost aftermarket items are marked up more than 100% most of the time. Those useless features are safety features on luxury cars. Video for backing up (Lexus), sensors for backing up (Lexus, Ford, etc...)

The Korean sonatas have reverse sensors, side turning lights, Navi, DVD, manual rear sunshade and I think blue tooth.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But I think its a bit of a disadvantage to offer the Sonata without the Navi system at launch.

I know I wouldn't want it, but some folks might.. Especially cosidering that this car is supposed to be the Camry fighter.

But like someone said, they don't sell that well anyway, I think most don't want it, but some find it intriguing..

When I got my Altima, I could care less about a Navigation system..but then again I drive an Altima 2.5S and its not available...
  • Options
    wincrasherwincrasher Member Posts: 12
    Well, I wouldn't assume that the price would not change.

The Korean market car may be significantly more expensive than the US version - or it could be a lot less.

Price is usually dictated by product content and what the local market will bear.

Also, the last time I checked, a Nav system was not standard in a Camry - its in an option package. I don't know of any non-luxury car where it's a standard feature.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Just how valuable is Navi?

IMO, it's just a tekkie toy. Most people drive to known destinations almost all the time. Some people on the road for business may find it useful, but very few in the overall population. Going on vacation? Get a map.

In the last 10 years MAYBE I could have used Navi 2 or 3 times when I wasn't sure of the local roads near my destination.

I wouldn't pay $50 for Navi. Maybe it's useful, rather than a toy, for some people, but what % of drivers really NEED this high cost gadget?
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    there is a $500 owner loyalty rebate on the 2006 Sonatas.
  • Options
    where did you see that?
  • Options
    We just got the new programs for the month. I'm in the Eastern region, so I can't say that it is nationwide.
  • Options
    how about the graduate rebate...is it still available in July?
    you heard anything about navigation systems coming soon?
  • Options
    College grad applies to all Hyundais if you qualify. My parts department is feigning ignorance when I ask them about the nav systems. As soon as I can get a definite, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    sonatabobsonatabob Member Posts: 15
    I'm one who believes that these will become more commonplace in the next 5 years. There are occasions when you're meeting someone at a location you've not been before or when you're out of town and not familiar with the area that they earn their cost. Another nice feature is that while you're on a programmed journey they talk you through the turns ahead of time so you can be aware without watching the screen. If you happen to make a turn that's not programmed, for instance a side-trip to an off-route gas station or store, they system talks you back onto your original route realizing that you've deviated from the programmed course. I've used the one in my Dad's Jag and am convinced my next car will have one.
  • Options
    denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    It isn't on there web site.
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    "there is a $500 owner loyalty rebate on the 2006 Sonatas."

Big woopie.....break out the band! ;)
    I hear that Chrysler is considering a deal similar to what GM is offering if GM extends their program beyond July. If they do, Hyundai will have to up the anti if they want to compete with the big boys. $500 is chicken feed in the current market. Even some Honda dealers are offering good deals.
  • Options
    Regarding Sonata GPS...

I've all ready got one!

It's a Garmin Roadmate 700 (about $900)
    Updates yearly for about a buck fifty (150)

This thing works like a charm (even matches my Grey LX interior perfect)
    Doesn't use "birdseye" view but it delivers the goods on directions, POI's with phone numbers. It's like driving on a Thomas guide. Very good ETA estimation plus lots of other features. Voice directions included. Small enough, it fits snugly under the Sonata armrest hidden from view while not in use. The beanbag mount works great. Uses power port and comes with AC adapter to plan trips inside.

Plus I can move it from car to car if I wish... Press find twice and it figures a route home from anywhere. Check it out you won't be sorry... even the Hyundai guy was amazed.

Save yourself thousands look into this little gem. Garmin rocks!
  • Options
    Just bought one! Check out the prices paid thread. $400 under invoice.
  • Options
    denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    It is now on there web site. The valid date is 6-1-05 to 7-4-05.
    I took delivery June 21st. I will have to find out if I should receive it now.
    I will cantact my dealer today.
  • Options
    Sorry put the wong model #

Actual model of my GPS is Garmin Street Pilot 2610

Got confused with Magellans model numbers.

Garmin has more relevent and useful POI's than Magellan (points of interest)

The 2610 needs maps loaded from included Mappoint software... my unit was able to store detailed mapping for all of Southern Cal. to the bay area California and Las Vegas and Arizona. There is a more expensive version 2620? that has a bigger hard drive and comes pre-loaded with the entire US. Mine will still route me across the US but would need me to load more maps (which is not hard) if I wanted detailed info on say New York.
  • Options
    buzzard767buzzard767 Member Posts: 14
    I use a Garmin Roadmate 700 also. My mount is a flexible and three legged with lead infused feet. The airport security people ALWAYS want to see it. It works great. I paid $800 on eBay - one nav system, use it on all my cars. Excellent.

On the other hand, I ordered a loaded black with gray LX a month ago and the dealer still hasn't come up with one. :mad:
  • Options
    It's a Magellan Roadmate 700, not Garmin. It has the entire USA and most of Canada on its internal hard drive.
  • Options
    you guys that have the portable ones..take some pics of it inside your sonata and post them. Would love to see how it looks... especially the bean bag mount
  • Options
    Ok...I'll wait until daylight and take a few for you. What is the easiest way to post photos here?
  • Options
    buzzard767... You are going to LOVE your Loaded black w/ grey LX! Just like mine!

What a great car!
  • Options
    you can click on my name and email me the pics if ya want
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Extremely favorable review in this month's issue. Check it out!

~alpha
  • Options
    Boltman,

Congrats on the new Sonata! I test drove one over a week ago and came away mightily impressed. It's getting harder and harder for me to hold on to my 2002 Elantra GT because the Sonata keeps popping up in my head!

How do you like the grey interior? I understand it has metal trim instead of the wood trim as found on the beige interior. I can't find a picture of the grey GLS/LX interior anywhere...the Sonata brochure only shows the beige, and all the GLS/LX models on the local Hyundai lot have beige interiors. There are GLs with grey interiors, but they don't have the metal trim around the climate control system, just grey plastic.

I really like the Aquamarine exterior color, and am thinking about getting it with the grey interior. Just not sure what it looks like.

Do you have any pictures or a link to pictures that show the LX grey interior trim?
  • Options
    kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    the metalgrain trim for the grey interiors of the GLS & LX looks good. It's a fine cross hatch of carbon fiber in appearance. It's appealing in that it doesn't cry out and is neutral.
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I think this really depends on where you live and how much you travel. I have a GPS in my car now and absolutely love it! I live in Northern VA, and I can tell you this thing can maneuver me around DC without a hitch.. It has saved my butt many a time..

Me and the wife also are big road trippers, and I cannot tell you how invaluable my Magellan Roadmate 700 has been. It talks you in both a male or female voice, and has a ton of pre-loaded points of interest. We use it all the time to find restaurants when we are traveling.

I am not sure about the Camry NAV, but the system that Honda uses is top notch. Have several friends that have them in their Accords, and Acuras. Like most things, while you may not need it, once you use it you will find that you start to rely on it... I have a terrible sense of direction and, to me, this thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the iPod....
  • Options
    Hi everyone... here are some of the pics I promised!

You can see the Garmin 2610 on the dash and hidden away in some of the pics. Hopefully you can get a taste of the Grey interior. I believe Kodak requires you to sign in to view.. my suggesstion is use mailinator if you don't want to give them your e-mail. Just make up anything @mailinator.com. You can even check your messages by visiting mailinator.com. Great way to give fake e-mails out.

BoLTMaN

Paste this URL in your browser to acces the album...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=f335zw0.jx4ws7k&Uy=-lo8wbz&Upost_sig- nin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=450360063193_51504496208
  • Options
    shado4...

I LOVE everything about my new LX! The Grey looks awesome... sporty yet refined. The chome against the Grey and the Black is perfect. Originally my first choice was Silver w/ Grey, 2nd choice was Deepwater Blue and Grey. Black wasn't even on my radar. After getting nearly $2000 off the sticker on the Black with Grey (the only LX they had in stock!) I have a feeling their was some fate at work. So I bought the Black with Grey and haven't regretted the decision since.
    The car is a work of art... my neighbor thought it was a Lexus! It looks like a $60K car he said.

Don't get me wrong the Beige interior is very nice... but I liked the sportier look of the Grey for myself. Get Grey you won't regret it... and your GPS unit will match!
  • Options
    Nice shots!! No, you don't need to sign in to see the pictures. Just click on the first photo on the left and it takes you to a slide show where you can see all the pictures.

That black exterior makes the Sonata look very classy. Boltman, if it's not too much trouble, can you take a close up shot of the metal grain trim surrounding the climate control area? I'd like to see more detail. Also, I assume the metal grain trim is repeated on the shifter and on the piece that separates the top half of the dash with the lower half?

Nice, nice car. :shades:
  • Options
    Your pics leave me salivating in anticipation of my look a like car. I can hardly wait.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I drove by my local Hyundai dealer and stopped in to look at the cars. They had about a dozen Sonata GLs and GLSes on the lot and in the showroom--all were I4 automatics. No V6s. Either this dealer isn't getting any or they are selling them as soon as they come in. Either way, I predict it won't be long before we start seeing some discounts on at least the 4-cylinder models. Also I wonder if any stick shift cars are being made--anyone see/buy one?

The steel blue GLS is beginning to grow on me. Is it my imagination or is there a slight purple tint to that color? They had a dark blue and a black car next to each other, and I was hard pressed to find a difference. I could tell the difference between the paint on the door handles of the white car and the body. Otherwise the paint jobs looked good.