Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• daveturnerdaveturner Member Posts: 25
    I recently bought a Camry LE and I was doing my regular maintenance--which includes checking and adjusting the spare tire pressure--and I also found the "mystery part" that was discussed in this forum back in June.
    The forum members said the parts are "Front Wheel Opening Extension Pads" and I guess my dealership didn't install them.
    I just received the Toyota Purchase/Lease Survey and I am contemplating if i should give them a lower score for failure to follow Pre-Delivery procedures (which should have included the installation of the part I mentioned).
    My Camry was bought with mudguards--do you guys think that the Front Wheel Opening Extension Pads should also be installed?
    I probably won't ever go back to the dealership that I bought my Camry from because it is 30 min to 1 hr away (depending on traffic). If I do need to have the parts installed do you think any local dealership can install it for me (I'll probably do it when my first oil change comes up).
    Maybe you guys can check to see if your Camry also has those Pre-Delivery parts not installed (they would be next to your spare tire if they are uninstalled).
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    It takes about 10 minutes to install both of them.

They help the air flow in front of the wheels.

Give them a lower score. What else did they not do on the Pree-delivery worksheet??
    Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Pre-Delivery worksheet so I hope my dealer didn't miss any other steps. I will ask my local dealer to install those parts during my first oil change (I really don't want to make the long drive to the dealership that sold me the Camry).
  • manujawsmanujaws Member Posts: 29
    I am not looking for the perfect car. Bcoz I know theres none. What I do want to know is whether the new Camry is worth it or not. Is the trusted Sonata a better bargain. Compare the TCO's for each and u will realize that the money saved in buying a Sonata now comes back to haunt later in terms of lower resale value.

I am really looking forward to info from new Camry buyers. Are you still having issues?
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    manujaws, you hit the nail on the head... Hyundai's products have come leaps and bounds, BUT... true long term durability and resale values are still qestionable.

To let you know, I have been absolutely pleased with my 07 Camry SE I4 5A experience. Zero issues. I do wish they had some other colours though. To put it in persepective, I also have a Boxter S and an Lexus RX and since this summer, I find myself reaching for the Camry's keys more often than the other two.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Many wrestle with this decision, but the Camry's resale value will certainly be significantly better than the Sonata's. That being said, since you can buy a Sonata Limited with the standard 3.3L V6 and leather, standard VSC, and all of the other goodies, for $18,750 (a firm quote from my dealer) before tax, title, and license, you are saving a significant amount of money on the "front end" over a Camry V6 equipped with the same features as the Sonata Limited. After 5 years of ownership, the Camry's value will surely be higher, but then again you paid significantly more for it to begin with.

I don't know what folks are paying for a Camry XLE V6 - comparably equipped to the Sonata Limited; Edmunds.com states the Invoice Price, not MSRP, is $26,377. The Camry XLE V6 is most comparable model to the Sonata Limited. Look at the numbers, the cost differentials, the extrapolated resale value down the road, and make a decision - that's all anyone of us can do.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >Compare the TCO's for each and u will realize that the money saved in buying a Sonata now comes back to haunt later in terms of lower resale value.

TCOs are misleading because of the 'management' of the alleged services needed which is often lower than the real dealer cost and the cost is raised by prudent service and replacements before the time due.

The value of a car 5 years from now is a guess. I am guessing that seeing all the interest in Hyundais in my area there will a greater demand for the used car of the current model and the previous one in 5 years because of an improved image and reality reputation as a normal car without the early history Hyundai earned and addressed.

Also are you properly addressing the cost to purchase of a Hyundai Sonata, e.g., compared to the Camry. The dealer discount, rebate for Sonata will lower the price; the Camry dealer uses packs and puffs to raise the price and acts like you're on hallowed ground just being allowed to look at one of their cars. Bad attitudes in this area.

TCO is a fiction, but it's better than nothing IF you properly interpret it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    the Camry dealer uses packs and puffs to raise the price and acts like you're on hallowed ground just being allowed to look at one of their cars

Not in my area - central VA. The dealers only have that annoying inflated "processing fee." But all the dealers locally do the same, and the "big dealer chain" in my burg owns several franchises, import and domestic, all with the same fee (except higher for luxury marques).

About the "hallowed ground," I did manage to royally PO my local Toyota salesman "friend," because I had the audacity to help my son buy his Prius from a dealer in the next town last summer. One of the ludicrous things this "friend" said was that people from New York (my son) are taking away inventory from local customers. :confuse: Of course, if I had given him the business, would he have stated this?
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    That being said, since you can buy a Sonata Limited with the standard 3.3L V6 and leather, standard VSC, and all of the other goodies, for $18,750 (a firm quote from my dealer)

No way can that be true. If you are looking at comparing it to the XLE V6, then you are talking about a Sonata (w/ untimate package) with an MSRP of $24,745 plus $650 for delivery. Even with the current rebate of 1,500, that means the MSRP of the car is $23,895. What dealer is going to give an additional $5K off that price?

If you don't include the ultimate package, that's still a stretch, but then you aren't really comparing apples to apples.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    You are correct on the Ultimate Package. I was using a 2007 Sonata Limited (standard configuration, i.e. with no other option packages added) as the example.

If you look at loading up a Camry LE with the V6, alloys, leather (evidently not available), VSC, and the other items the Sonata Limited already has, you're going to pay thousands of dollars more for the Camry. Yes, I can go out an buy a 2007 Sonata Limited w/o the Ultimate Package for $18,750 right now. We're not talking MSRP's here, but the actual purchase price.

Let's not compare the Sonata Limited with the Camry XLE V6. Rather, lets compare it with a Camry LE V6 optioned similarly, but without the "not available leather" option, as per Edmunds.com configuration page - with the WB Option (16" alloys - 17" alloys as on the Sonata are not available), VS Option (Vehicle Stability Control - standard on the Sonata), and CF Option (Carpet/Trunk mats - included in the aforementioned quote on the Sonata). According to Edmunds.com, the figures for my zip code on the 2007 Camry LE V6 with those options, EXCLUDING LEATHER - standard on the Sonata Limited - are as follows: MSRP $25,604, Invoice $22,632, TMV, $25,563.

Since many here complain that Edmunds.com TMV is not really what most actually pay, let's use the Invoice price of $22,632 for comparison purposes. Not many Camry buyers are going to buy this configuration at the invoice price. Even if they did, they would still pay $3,882 more than the Sonata Limited at $18,750.

Yes, the Sonata will have a higher "rate" of depreciation than the Camry, but at what actual dollar loss over time? The semi-comparably-equipped Camry is already at a monetary deficit of at least $3,882.

If you would like to know where in Illinois you can buy a brand spanking new 2007 Sonata Limited w/o the Ultimate Package for $18,750, before Tax (6.25%), Title, and License, I would be happy to tell you.
  • manujawsmanujaws Member Posts: 29
    Well, I am really looking at a Camry CE or LE. not beyond that. I would appreciate if I could know whether recent camry owners have the same probs or not. I read thru user reviews on msn autos, yahoo autos, edmunds etc, and have not been able to decipher the comments from new ones. So new buyers, please tell me.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You need to look in the drivers door jamb to get the manufactured date. Just because the car was recently purchased, doesn't mean it isn't one of the early production vehicles.
  • k128k128 Member Posts: 4
    Got mine three weeks ago, I like it a lot.

I haven't found any of the hesitation problems. It shifts somewhat different then my previous car, but I haven't had any surprises like (some of)the earlier cars seem to have had.

I only have moderate hills here, they were no problem with the cruise control, although the transmission does sometimes downshift, I don't see that as a problem.

I do agree with the people that say that the center console is too bright, however I do like to turn my dash light to 'just visible' to get better vision on really dark roads. On the camry you can turn it down, but the lowest 'on' value (before it switches off completely) is too bright for my taste. I haven't asked service if there's anything they can do yet.

So far 26mpg, 60% highway driving.

I've got a 4cyl LE, the extras were VSC and mats; I'm now storing those mats because I put in the black weatherproof ones.

Good luck !
  • craigr127craigr127 Member Posts: 1
    I tried this on my 2007 Camry XLE and it did not work either, does anyone know how to do on the 2007?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I was reading a review of the Camry that said the Traction/stability could not be turned off (if so equiped). Is this true? Seems hard to believe as the traction control can bring a vehicle to a stop in deep snow.

My Sienna with TC (and snow tires) will bog down in deep snow, but the the TC off it starts right up again - even from a dead stop. Very usefull feature, but it should be defeatable.
    Yes, there is NO VSC/trac off switch on the Camry. 07 Lexus models are now being fitted with such switches because of critisms from enthusists. That said, you can turn off the VSC/trac on a Camry though it is obviously not reccommended. Once off, it will re-activate once the car is turned off and re-started.

The point of Trac/VSC is to prevent spin outs and better traction in such deep snow.
    Actually the Traction control will stop a car in deep snow as it applies the brakes to keep the wheels from spinning. That is why I need to be able to turn it off, so that I can make it through deep snow. As I mentioned previously my Sienna goes from dead in the water (snow) to zipping around nicely, just by turning "off" the traction control. The VSC cannot be turned off, and that is fine by me.

Thanks for the info about the vsc/trac, but I am a little confused - if there is no switch, then how do you turn it off? I don't mind if it comes back on after a restart, as it would rarely be off - ironically only when I lose traction.
    Oddly, Traction control in my experience helps me gain traction in snowy roads. In fact, last winter during freezing rain followed by heavy snowfall, had it not been for the traction control, I would have been stuck in my Boxter S. But thankfully, the traction control allowed me to "gain" traction. TC is "supposed" to help you gain traction in conditions such as snow by preventing wheelspin, hence allowing traction.

That said, again, though absolutely not advisable since it could be dangerous, but if you should want to defeat the VSC/trac on the 07 Camry, then do as follows...

1) start the car with parking/emerg brake on.
    2) all within 30 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal twice.
    3) immediately, de-activate and re-engage the parking/emerg brake twice.
    4) the VSC/trac light on the dash will light.... the VSC/trac is NOW deactivated until you re-start the car.

This procedure was built in for service techs to be able to turn it off should they need to to diagnose a drivetrain problem.

Again, i have to say that VSC/trac is a safety feature and should remain on at all times. Deactivate at your own risk.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I don't know this for certain on the new Camry but a year ago when they tweaked the Prius a Toyota rep said that due to complaints ofthe vehicle going dead in snow and ice that the Trac on the Prius was modified to allow for some slippage so that one could crawl forward or backward.

The Camry came out 4 months later so I don't know if this is just for the Prius, all of which have Trac, or if it's company-wide with all new Toyota's now. It would be interesting to see what's going on now.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Deactivating trac can be very important. Lets say you park in a driveway before a snowfall, and enough snow falls to need a rocking motion to get moving and leave the driveway.With the trac active it will restrict the rocking motion. While not allowing the wheels to spin, no rocking motion. If allowed to deactivate,you would be able to get going and then re-activate for safty. Hope my point is clear.....I did this very fast, and also,,,this is JMHO.
    I am not saying trac is not usefull in the snow, just real deep heavy snow bogs a vehicle down when a little wheel spin will keep it going.

I had just put 4 snows on my Sienna and was playing around in some recent snow (about 8-10 inches and about 10 degrees) I went through a few drifts and the vehicle just slowed to a stop (I was suprised because my Integra - also 4 snows, had just driven through the same stretch -with some wheelspin and plowing with the air dam of course). I turned of the TC and vehicle, which was at a dead stop and would not move, drove right out of the drift. Wheelspin can help quite a bit in some conditions.

Sounds like the car has to be stopped to deactivate. On the Sienna I just push a button under the dash - which I can do as the vehicle is slowing down before I lose all my momentum.

Thanks for the info on de-activating though. It could come in real handy some day.

Again- most of the the time the TC helps, but sometimes it really hinders - my experience in South Dakota winters.

Still pondering the Camry, unfortunately they make so few manual transmission models (that is all I will buy - the Sienna is my wifes) that I am having trouble finding one, and may wind up with an Accord. Problem is that my dealer has about 4 Camrys at a time and the nearset larger dealer is over 200 miles away, and they have about 10. Still looking though.
  • tdepolotdepolo Member Posts: 2
    Hello, i recently aquired a used 2007 camry le, how would I know if my car has the stability option or not? thanks
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    The easy way - someone here who owns an '07 Camry (I don't) will soon post back to explain it.

The almost as easy way - call or drive your car to any Toyota dealer and ask the service manager how to verify its presence.

The hard way - look up "Vehicle Stability Control" in your owner's manual index section, turn to the indicated page number, and read to determine whether there's a dash panel light or some other indicator that verifies VCS's presence and operational status when the engine's running.
    If it's an LE then look at the window sticker under optional equipment on the right. It'll show there if it's on yours. It's about a $650 Extra I believe.
    If you didn't buy it from a dealer, since it's used and doesn't come with a window sticker, ray_h1 is correct that when you start your car, look at the dash.... there's a VSC/trac light that lights up momentarily along with ABS....
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Toyota, on their 800 line, or any dealer, should be able to input the VIN and bring up the orignal equipment....
  • anmranmr Member Posts: 6
    Problems in Camry 2007 4 Cylinder by anmr Dec 04, 2006 (1:53 am)

Hello, I am living in Gulf Country, I was driving a Honda Accord and I bought my Camry Mid Range (GLX)last month, here the models are GL, GLX & SE. I have 2-3 questions :

1). While driving in traffic (slow moving), I found the Gear Shifting panel area(where the writings of Gear P, R, D etc) is getting heated, it is just in a small area but getting quite hot..!. There is no problem in normal driving. Can anyone advise me what is the reason, is it normal?

2). As they claim the new camry's suspension is improved and redesigned but I feel it is stiffened from previous model (I used to drive my brother's camry 2005), is that also normal?.

3) When driving more than 100km speed the wind noise and road noise are disturbing, can it be rectified?.

It would be very appreciated if anyone can reply authoritively.

Matthew
    You cross-posted this more than once, but I replied here: link title
  • anmranmr Member Posts: 6
    :blush: Andy, what a finding you made?!!! (are u the M.D of Toyota Corporation..?!!) please just mind your business only man. Do not think you are the only smart person here..! If I posted the same message to more than one place in this forum, forun admn. must know the reason. I got a clear answer from a Gentleman already.
  • ahsanman99ahsanman99 Member Posts: 28
    camry is biggest piece of junk.cheap standard and quality.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    May want to let edmunds.com, Motor Trend, Consumer Reports know... since they have all highly praised the vehicle and will see a bit greater readership than your post.

~alpha
  • mbolivermboliver Member Posts: 55
    Forgive my ignorance, but where is this part located? I wanted to check and see if my camry has it. What does it look like? Thanks! :)
    Still pondering the Camry, unfortunately they make so few manual transmission models

Why don't you order one? It takes a little while to come in but you'll have exactly what you want on it. That's what I did with my manual LE. :)
    There is also a vehicle sheild package that toyota offers that can be added after purchase. This is suppose to cut down on road noise as well.
    I will have to order but they are telling me 6 months. How long did yours take?
    Post #3858 has pictures of where the part (Front Wheel Opening Extension Pads) are supposed to be installed. Here are pics of the parts still sealed in the bag (I will probably have them installed when my 5,000 mile oil change is due):
    Front Wheel Opening Extension Pads pic 1
    Front Wheel Opening Extension Pads pic 2
    They always quote you the longest possible time. Some order, are told six months, and it comes in within two. ;)
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Just came across the LiqiCell with leather seat option.
    Is anyone familiar with this LiqiCell ??
    Is added at the point of entry and is kind of pricey at about $1500.00
    I am still debating which vehicle to get either the Hyundai Azera or the Camry.
    Thanks
    Lou
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I don't have it, but I have seen a lot of posts saying that the Liquicell leather is very poor quality.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If you gained enough fuel economy to offset the cost difference between 87 and 91 octane, then there would be no point to use 87.
    Isn't there about a 15-20 cent a gallon cost difference between 87 and 91? You would need a pretty significant mpg gain to make that back in gas savings.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi spiff72
    Is one of those options that Toyota likes to add for more profit.
    Thanks for the info.
    Lou
    To be precise. This has nothing to do with Toyota. It's a local addon only.
    )) "I have seen a lot of posts saying that the Liquicell leather is very poor quality." ((

Liquicell is an add-on technology thin liquid filled pad that purports to enhance seating comfort and promote even temperature distribution when seat heating/cooling is installed. It has neither enhancing nor detrimental effects on the quality of the automaker's choice of hides. Leather upholstery quality varies considerably according to a vehicle make's pecking order. Don't expect the leather installed in a popular-priced Camry XLE to come remotely close to that of the buttery supple, aniline dyed, choice Connor hides from milk-fed beef never exposed to barbed wire which are used to upholster the interior surfaces in a Rolls-Royce.
  • jane111jane111 Member Posts: 7
    What functions does the Camry DVD Navigation have? Does it adjust climate temperature though voice command. What Commands does it accept if any? Just wondering if it is good idea to purchase xle camry with navigation.

thank
    Nick
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Nick, welcome! Check out the discussion at this link - you should find some helpful information there: Toyota Camry - Navigation System.
    Geez, Louise, Pat - do you ever sleep?! :surprise:
  • sheenadhsheenadh Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I have wrecked my brand new Camry SE 4 days after I drove it off the lot. Regardless, I feel like the Camry SE is a great option for those that feel that the new camry needs a different "nose" or front end. It has fog lamps and a slightly lower ride. It also has great suspension and is a lot of fun to drive. Those 4 days were great. Getting leather seats with the liquicell is quite nice. it's in the steering wheel, armrests, gear changer and the doors. it adds a lot of comfort to the ride. Bluetooth inside of the car is a really cool option that I had put in my car as well, it doesn't always understand you, so sometimes you can just type it in with your phone and then the system will pick up your call. It's a must have honestly. I also recommend getting an alarm for your new car, because there are so many camrys it's a good idea since they are the most stolen cars for that reason.
    Sad to hear about your new car but it sounds as though you weren't badly injured. (Things can be replaced. People are more difficult...) Was your new car totaled or will it be possible to repair it?
    I also recommend getting an alarm for your new car, because there are so many camrys it's a good idea since they are the most stolen cars for that reason.

Actually this is not true since the mid 90's. The Camry and the Accord which used to be high on the list are way down in the middle of the list for a number of reasons.

Back in the 80's they were stolen for parts since there were so few of them the parts for wrecks were in very high demand ( high theft rate ).

Now that both are as ubiquitous as vanilla ice cream there is a much larger availability of parts from junk yards and new parts from the US based factories.

In addition the new engine immobilizer is the knife in the heart of auto thieves. Theives cannot steal your car unless they have your key or put a hook underneath it and tow it away.

Even though I sell them I recommend that people don't get the VIP Security System unless you want to be warned when vandals break the glass in your vehicle, ( then do you want to go out and interrutp them? ) They can't do anything with the vehicle except trash it. The money spent on an alarm is much better spent on GAP insurance or a VSA depending on the individual situation.
  • ben_canadaben_canada Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking for a basic 07 I4 Camry LE/Auto...given the 1st 07 Camry was built back in March 06 and Toyota already "fixed" the software for the shifting smoothness of the I4 5-speed Auto (TSB EG056-06 - after Oct/Nov 07).

Can I expect 99% of all the 1st year problems to be gone if I'm to buy a 07 Camry built after Jan 1st 2007? I know that there won't be any visible changes for at least the next 2 yrs...but how about any improvements that might not be known to the general public? I read somewhere that Toyota is of the those manufacturer that's constantly improves/tweaks their products during the entire life cycles.

Best regards.