Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    "Can I expect 99% of all the 1st year problems to be gone if I'm to buy a 07 Camry built after Jan 1st 2007? I know that there won't be any visible changes for at least the next 2 yrs...but how about any improvements that might not be known to the general public? I read somewhere that Toyota is of the those manufacturer that's constantly improves/tweaks their products during the entire life cycles."

I don't know that you can expect 99% of the problems to be gone rather than hope. But Yes, Toyota's philosophy taught to and copied by some more successfully than others is to constantly improve their products throughout its life cycle in running changes. It's called Kaizen, part of the Toyota Production System.

Where abouts in Canada are you looking to buy?
  • Options
    ben_canadaben_canada Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the feedback, drjames.

Vancouver, BC!
  • Options
    catalina101catalina101 Member Posts: 39
    Kdhspyder,

I've just read your comments above suggesting that rather than getting the VIP Security System, it'd be better to get GAP Insurance or a VSA.

I plan on purchasing an XLE V6 at the end of the month, and one of the options I'd planned on getting was the VIP Security System - it made sense to me when reading about it - though after reading what you wrote I admit I'm intrigued.

Truth be told, I didn't know what GAP Insurance was before reading your post - I googled it and now have an idea - and I *still* don't know what a VSA is. When I googled it there were, like, 50 PAGES on all things containing the letters VSA, which was a bit daunting, to say the least. :surprise:

I'll preface my questions by asking that you please excuse my ignorance - my goal is to become better educated, which is why I'm here. :-)

1) Would you recommend GAP insurance in addition to "regular" car insurance coverage? And, if so, would you recommend it regardless of whether one has or doesn't have an alarm system?

2) Would having the VIP System and an alarm system (installed after purchasing the car) be redundant?

3) Would you recommend having an alarm system without having the VIP System, or are you suggesting that any alarm system, in general, isn't necessarily necessary (talk about redundant!)?

4) If a VSA is an alarm system, what are its advantages over the VIP Security System or other alarms? If it's not an alarm system ... what exactly is it?

As I mentioned above, I'd been planning on getting the VIP Security System - though not a car, my custom-painted Heritage Softail Classic was stolen last year, and though I was fully covered by insurance and received a very nice check, it left a rather bitter taste in my mouth - but your words piqued my curiosity. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but I'm willing to spend it if it prevents heartache down the road.

I thank you in advance for your time and information!
    Catherine
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Good questions ... :)

Notice I mentioned that in recommending these two I said depending on the particular situation.

First as I mentioned the VIP Security System served it's purpose in the past but the Engine Immobilizer now is much more effective. Without one of your keys no thief can start your vehicle and drive it away. Nearly all new Toyota's come with the Engine Immobilizer in one form or another.

GAP insurance is primarily intended for those who are
    a) leasing a vehicle;
    b) coming out of a vehicle with negative equity rolling onto the new vehicle;

If your new vehicle were to be totalled early in it's life often there is a 'gap' between what the payoff to the lender is and what the insurance company will pay. This applies of course only if you take out a loan to buy it. If you pay cash there is no need. If you put down a substantial downpayment there is also no need to do it. A substantial down payment is not a check written against a HELOC!

A VSA is Toyota's name for a Vehicle Service Agreement or Extended Service Contract. Essentially after the original warranties expire it covers nearly all the parts and repairs to a vehicle that are not insurance-related. A lot of people pooh-pooh the concept saying I'll risk it but if you are thinking of keeping the vehicle 5-8 yrs which is typical for a Toyota then insuring against unexpected repairs is a sensible option. Shop around for the best price but it is certainly better than paying $400-500 for a redundant horn-blowing light-flasher.
  • Options
    Kdhspyder,

Thank you for such a detailed response - I definitely feel more educated after reading it than I did before. :)

Regarding the GAP Insurance, based on the criteria you mentioned it won't be something I'll need: I'm not leasing, I'm buying; I'm not trading in a vehicle (and I paid cash for the one I have); I'm putting down what I would consider to be a substantial down payment ($14,000.), and it won't be from a check written against a HELOC. ;)

Regarding the TSA (the abbreviation now makes perfect sense to me), I'm with you on the rational for having an extended warranty! I'd planned on shopping around for a good price (Midwest Superstores and/or Mechanicsville Toyota, for starters) after I got the car - from what I understand, their rates are considerably less than what my local dealer would charge for the same thing.

This way of thinking is in alignment (no pun intended!) with my overall motto for most things, which is that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I admit, the redundant horn-blowing/light-flashing-type alarms are pretty annoying - they seem to be set off by things, like, um, AIR, for example - and more often than not they seem to be ignored.

Based on what you wrote I'm assuming that the VIP System is of the aforementioned ilk, is this true? And, if so ... are there any alarms that are effective without being horn-blowy, or are ALL alarms like that? I mean, I'm not a fan of the horn-blowin' and all, but to have NO alarm just seems imprudent to me.

If I don't order the VIP System as an option, is there something else you'd recommend, or are you saying that the immobilizer (and the TSA) is enough?

Just when I thought I'd nothing more to question, along come more questions!

Thank you, Kdspyder, for taking the time to impart your experience with me. It's very much appreciated.

Catherine
  • Options
    My personal feeling is that the engine immobilizer in most Toyota's is plenty sufficient to keep your new vehicle from being stolen.

The VSA is a security blanket pure and simple. As vehicles become more complex it's an option I believe that more and more buyers will choose.
  • Options
    Thank you, Khdspyder.

And, btw, I'm aware (AFTER the fact, of course) that I typed "TSA," but I know it's VSA ... and it's the VSA which I plan on purchasing. :)
  • Options
    AND ... I see that I've been typing your name incorrectly, as well, for which I apologize, Kdhspyder. :blush:
  • Options
    mbolivermboliver Member Posts: 55
    Hi Catherine,

The VIP system only goes off with glass breakage or someone prying your doors open. It won't be going off all the time like the annoying ones and don't forget...if you do decide to go with it tell your insurance agent because you get a discount on your car insurance for a theft deterant device.

All my best,
    Michelle
  • Options
    Michelle,

Thanks for your information. I hadn't even thought about the insurance aspect of having an alarm! However, after my recent online interactions, as well as a conversation today with my longtime mechanic, I'm seriously considering not getting the VIP System, as, the truth is ... they can't get anywhere if they can't start the car (due to the Engine Immobilizer). :-)

You mentioned the discounted insurance rates for having an alarm system, which prompted me to call my AAA office to see if having the Engine Mobilizer would also warrant a discount. Well, guess what ... it does! In the eyes of AAA, having the immobilizer is the same as having an alarm. Thanks to your post, I will definitely avail myself of said discount. :-)

You had a question pertaining to extended warranties a while back - you were wondering if it was something worth investing in - and though I don't know what you ultimately decided, I thought I'd offer my input.

As per my recent interaction with Kdhspyder, and in accordance with my inherent view on the matter, I've decided that the extended warranty (VSA) will be well worth my peace of mind.

So ... I called around (like I do), and found what I believe to be is a fantastic rate! Midwest Superstores quoted me a 7yr/100,00 mile Premium Package for $880.00, OTD.

Again, I don't know what you ultimately decided to do, or not do, but you now have information of which you may avail yourself if you so choose. :-)

Catherine
  • Options
    deputyswifedeputyswife Member Posts: 4
    I am probably signing papers tommarrow for a 2007 Camry SE...... The only problem is that the dealer swears the Toyoguard is "put on" at the port and that they all come like that in this area of the country. That basically, it would be hard to get one without it :confuse: .

It has been the one thing he won't back down from, even admitting for the most part that it is a stupid accessory. I DON'T WANT IT!
    So my questions are
    1. Will most Salesman do away with the Toyoguard if you are adament enough
    2. If I do keep the Toyoguard on there, do I get to pick between the XY40 and the XY70?

I am so :mad: that this stupid Toyoguard has been such an issue even though we have been firm from the beginning that we don't want it! Plus, since it's not a tangible part of the car, what's the big deal of getting it taken off? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: Thank you for your response!!!!
  • Options
    It's the end of the year!!

If this vehicle is in stock then you have all the power ( within reason ). If they want to move this vehicle now they will bend to do what is necessary.

That being said if it's a small store with a few Camrys and not sure when the next one will be in then you might get more resistance. Small stores have to make more than big ones per vehicle in order to stay in business.
  • Options
    07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Go buy a car out of your regional area which sounds like the SE region.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No Toyoguard in Virginia (part of Central Atlantic region). But you have to watch for "processing fees" (around $150-$250 in my area -- central part of the state). Then they'll want reimbursement for the dealers' gross business tax (around $40 on a car in the low $20s).

So if you go out of state, you will want to get an "out-the-door" quote, which will include those nuisance fees. In VA, you won't have to pay any taxes or fees to the state except for a minimal fee for a 30-day temporary plate.
  • Options
    "It's the end of the year!!

If this vehicle is in stock then you have all the power ( within reason ). If they want to move this vehicle now they will bend to do what is necessary.
    "

Though I'd generally agree with kdhspyder, I'm not so sure it applies here. The reason being, it's an '07 Camry you're after and not an '06. So, there is no need for the dealership to get rid new Camrys on the lot.
  • Options
    It doesn't have so much to do with the vehicle which as you note is still very hot, it's more with the individual store dressing up it's year end financial position.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "So, there is no need for the dealership to get rid new Camrys on the lot." ((

Inventory tax?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    kdhspyder. you indicate financial position... isn't it also that a dealership is on some sort of allocation plan, that if they sell a given number in a given period of time, they'll have even more units to sell in the future? i mean, the number of units moved can provide favorable terms for the dealership in other matters right?
  • Options
    Yes this is true every month that in Toyota's system you need to meet your allocation and turn inventory at least as fast as the region/country in order to 'earn' your fair share of new vehicles down the road.

Slow moving / slow turning stores tend to have future inventory taken away from them and given to the stores turning faster. This is why the system keeps inventory so well balanced. A slower moving store doesn't get more inventory than it can handle. Faster growing stores are always trying to get more inventory to move.
  • Options
    philbraphilbra Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone found the 0-60 time for the four cylinder Camry w/auto?
  • Options
    Depending on the publications I've read, times have ranged from 8.3 to 8.8 seconds.
  • Options
    robertdavidrobertdavid Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone figured out a way to reset the MPG display on the multiinformation display (2007 Camry) without having to fill up?
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    On the Sienna you hold down the two buttons at the same time while the average is displayed and it resets - you could try that.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The new R&T compares 4 cyl versions of the Camry, Accord, Altima and ???. Camry finished last. Don't recall the 0-60 times but Camry was also the slowest I believe. I think high 8s/low 9s.
  • Options
    Imacmil, If you're referring to the new Car & Driver, which did compare mid-size family comparisons, the Camry LE 4 cylinder, finished 5th out of 6, not last. That said, it did the 0-60 mph sprint in 8.7 seconds, again not last, but 5 out of 6 (btw, the Aura had a V-6), and "almost every other performance measure the Camry was solidly midpack". It "tied [the] Accord and Altima for best observed fuel economy" and was the quietest and had the best braking distance from 70-0 mph in the entire comparison.

The comparison was absolutely disappointing since the biggest knock on the 07 Camry by C&D and probably one of the biggest reasons it finished so low was the "Languid handling," a consideration that could have been remedied if C&D had tested the Camry SE, especially scince the first and second places went to S and SE versions of its competitors.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    The 3rd place standing of the KIA Optima in the C&D survey should be a wake-up call for Toyota - especially the part about the interior materials quality and how all the pieces fit flawlessly - kinda brings to mind a particular Japanese make sedan of a decade ago or so. Hmmm, can't seem to remember its name, though... ;) But, at least the Camry managed to beat the Chrysler Sebring.
  • Options
    ray_h1, I agree that some of the new Camrys have parts of the interior that are lacking the usual Toyota quality, however, Toyota execs have taken note and addressed and acknowledged these quality issues publicly. In fact, The president of Toyota said he was, "embarrassed" by some of these issues. Something said that I wonder how many of the other companies would have done. I guess we won't have to wait too long since he promised we'd see the typical Toyota quality in the new Tundra and upcoming Corolla.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Kia, and Hyundai for that matter, are both growing, albeit slower than Hyundai corporate would prefer. The quality is far better than most Americans perceive.

I spoke to a salesman the other day at one dealership and he stated that practically everyone who looks at and drives a Kia Optima, or other Kia product, likes the car, but just can't get over the perception/image or the name. This is the American way, as market perception means everything, and it's still going to be a "hard road to hoe" for both Hyundai and Kia. Their products are going to have to be very, very good to change the masses perception.
  • Options
    Yep, my faulty memory strikes again. Thanks for correcting my mistakes. Interesting that the Altima 4 cyl does better to 60 and the same in the 1/4 as my 3.5L Intrigue did.

The article is also quite a contrast to the MT COTY award the Camry got a couple issues ago.
  • Options
    Actually, Imacmil, if you want to see something really interesting, dig out or read the Car & Driver's review of the 2007 Camry SE 2.4. It's amazing how the same magazine has two very different things to say about the Camry.

Again, Car & Driver should have tested the Camry SE in that comparison. Like Car & Driver initially said, "Oh, all those fine suspension tweaks work great in the hills. The grip is pretty good at 0.82g on the skidpad - where you ride the razor's edge between slip angles,... and the firm chassis discipline controls ride motions admirably." or "With the SE-specific chassis calibrations included, we'd have been the first to wave the checkered flag at this new Toyota with its sporting affectations." And yet, then comparing it too the Accord SE and the Altima S? But then again, after C&D awarded their 10 Best award to the Accord, how could it not have won one of their competitions?
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    In days gone by disk jockeys received "payola" for playing and humping certain recordings.....could the same not be happening today with so called car and driving "experts"?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    presuming the issues affecting the I4 and the V6 only affect a population of vehicles :confuse: , perhaps the vehicles they used were ones without the issues.

why do some people report squeaks and pops? why do some report pulls? insert new owner problem here.

also, i'm thinking these writers don't spend as much time in the vehicles as actual owners do. :surprise:

the writers are better equipped to pull apart specs, gain access to a closed road and track :blush: (shameless) timing equipment and a few other things of course.

why don't we ask Karl, Edmund's Chief Editor what happened (a first drive yes, but no full test, no follow-up test, no long-term test???):
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=109049/pageNumber=1

with the complaints, you'd think they'd purposefully go back and wind out the unit they purchased.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    'market perception means everything' a good summation - the additional problem I see for Kia is that Hyundai seems intent on burdening the Kia products with 'last year's' engines. There is simply no comparison between the Sonata's new 3.3 vs. the older 2.7 and the differences are not just HP. The 2.7 in the Sonata was, at best, unremarkable and the 3.3 changed all that. The same applies to the new 3.8 vs. the older 3.5 in the Azera/Optima.
  • Options
    redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I was wondering if you recently purchased the 07 Camry if you were happy with your purchase? I would get a 4 cylinder camry. I have read some reviews that people have had problems w/the transmission lag. This has scared me from purchasing one of the 07 models
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I agree. If I were to purchase a Kia, it would not be with the older generation 2.7L V6, rather the new Theta 2.4L Inline 4. But, I prefer Inline 4's to V6's anyway.

Yes, it takes a long time to change market perception, and both Hyundai and Kia have a long way to go in this vein, regardless of the build-quality and overall quality of their current products.
  • Options
    lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    I bought a new '07 Camry Hybrid in late November.
    Great car. Looks nice, runs nice. I was hoping my mpg would be better in town that the 30 I usually get. 30 beats the 19 I was getting in my last Camry (an '04).
    Only problem: A little squeak in the brakes will be fixed tomorrow.
    You could argue whether the Hybrid is worth the extra.
    On paper, probably not. I like to drive by gas pumps and minimize pollution. :)
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    the 2.4 that 'world' engine developed in conjunction with Chrysler, haven't really heard anything good about it at least relative to the standards set by folks like Honda.
  • Options
    redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I had my heart set on getting a new camry until I started reading problems people were having with the transmission lag. Did any of you have this problem? Do you think its been fixed?
  • Options
    I don't have an '07 Camry, but I have two slightly older ones ('04 and '05, both great cars).

I've been following these forums, and the lion's share of the problems seem to be with the V6 and 6-speed automatic. Also, if you get an '07 Camry built in October or later, you will likely be spared the transmission problems some have found with the 4-cylinder model.
  • Options
    If you're referring to the throttle "hesitation" that some were complaining about in the I4 5A, it had been resolved with a TSB in September of last year. Camry I4 5As built after early October had this change made at the factory.
  • Options
    toyotasellertoyotaseller Member Posts: 6
    I am a Toyota Sales rep in the North east region. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
  • Options
    toyotasellertoyotaseller Member Posts: 6
    Hi.. I am a Toyota sales rep in the North East Region..if anyone has any questions...please feel free to ask!
  • Options
    Don't make buying decisions based on internet newsgroups. It's too small a sample size to be statistically valid. Look at Consumer Reports to get the experience of 10s of thousands instead of a dozen or so.
  • Options
    greencalgreencal Member Posts: 18
    I have 2007 4 cylinder LE, What kind of MPG I should expect?

please let us know what is best about this G/R of car.

Thanks
  • Options
    07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    I have 2007 4 cylinder LE, What kind of MPG I should expect?

With proper tire inflation, it comes down to your right foot action (acceleration and braking).

Since an LE does not have a trip computer, you are in the dark until you fillup.

My worst tank out of 32 fillups was an actual 22.71 mpg, the best was 33.14. At a steady 55 mph, I can get my trip computer over 37 mpg (but it reads about 1.2 mpg high). I have averaged 27.4 for 12,000 miles (about 50/50 city/hwy).

I have read that others have gotten about the same as I have and others that are averaging 18 in the city and only 27 on the road.

Comes down to your right foot.................
  • Options
    Your mileage is pretty close to what I've gotten on my '04 LE 4 cyl 4A (almost 42K miles now) and '05 XLE 4 cyl 5A (under 19K miles).

Excluding small fill-ups (under 5 gallons) and "full-serve" fullups in NJ where you can't pump it yourself, my best and worst are as follows:

Worst ('04): 22.4
    Worst ('05): 18.9

Best ('04): 37.8
    Best ('05): 34.7

I never rely on the mpg calculated from the XLE's trip computer, because it's always optimistic.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    A lot has been said about changes designed and implimented, to eliminate problems with the 2007 camry models. Are the newer built cars really better?
  • Options
    micro99micro99 Member Posts: 51
    This is a very interesting question which regrettably, will probably not generate much discussion on this Forum . The problem is that many of the `regular` posters still do not want to acknowledge that there is ,in fact, anything wrong with those 2007 Camry`s built before January 2007 .
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Try using some common sense. If you decided to sell a widget and went out to your garage and started making them, which one is going to be better. The first one, the 100th one or the 1000th one?

Now let's say your widget is built with thousands of other widgets (also known as "components"). Then what?
  • Options
    jeauxsrjeauxsr Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 07 Toyota CamrY LE :lemon: :sick: in August & it has been in the shop 3 times with only 1140 miles for a No Start problem. They kept it 3 weeks the last time & its in theres a week already. what do you recommend? :cry:
    Thansk
    jb