Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Not sure what goegraphy you are in. I'm in the SouthEast, and when the 2007's first came out I wanted a 4cyl LE w/VSC. They had a bunch in the DC Area (Fitzmall) as that seemed to be fairly standard way that Toyota area ordered them. In the SE, I saw few in the system. I don't remember exactly, but less than a dozen rings a bell. I asked the dealership if they could order one, and they did. I got it in about a month, month and a half.

I've heard from others that you can't really 'order' Toyota's, but my dealer did for me. Got exactly the model/color/options I wanted...and at the price I wanted. (well, close to what I wanted). Now perhaps they could do it because it was the beginning of the model year, I don't know.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They cannot make Toyota build one in a unique way that wasn't already planned to be built. If one is going to be built the way you want it and sent to another dealer in that region, they can probably request it be sent to them instead. I'm sure some people would have chosen the same option combinations Toyota has planned for their region and are happy with the choices available.

There is only a certain amount of options combinations that are made. For instance, you cannot cherry pick options such as choosing navigation and cloth seats even though the options list shows navigation as a standalone option rather than a package on the Camry XLE 4 cylinder. Same thing with VSC. Someone might want to buy a 2007 Camry LE 4 cylinder with only VSC and JBL stereo. You cannot get that even if you ask the dealer to order it for you unless Toyota had already made that one of the choices delivered to your region.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The difference is that the VS is truly a stand alone option. We do get them in the 4c LE's from time to time but it's more a matter of a store's ordering preferences. Often as the model ages more and more of the more basic ( less costly ) ones are ordered. Even when the region gives us our allocation we can go in and change nearly everything. it doesn't make them happy but it makes the vehicles more salable.

I will have to check the incidence of VS in the 4c for 2008 modelos.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    this is all very interesting as everyone keeps saying Toyota can build it the way you want it.... selection.... customer preference.
    Since the the 2007 Camry came out in 2006, there have been zero people posting that they were able to order and then actually receive a 2007 Camry LE 4 cylinder in California with only VSC and no other options.
    In fact, I haven't seen anyone say they got a Camry LE 4 cylinder in California with VSC at all with any combination of other options.

The same for all other Camry 4 cylinders in California including the SE and XLE.
    There is a reason for that and it isn't because no one in California wants VSC on a 4 cylinder Camry.

Doesn't matter that Fitzmall had or has them since that is on the east coast and that just confirms it is regional availability. It isn't worth shipping the car from the east coast to the west coast to get VSC.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "it isn't worth..."

So why not leave it at the west coast port of entry to begin with..??
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "The difference is that the VS{C} is truly a stand alone option..."

Really.

The Anti-lock braking system components are a MAJOR cost factor for including VSC in the "build". Once you include ABS in the build then the major costs are incurred and all you need to add for VSC is a stearing wheel position sensor and a yaw sensor...plus some virtually free additional "code", firmware.

Now, if you can get one absent ABS....different story.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Because the bulk of Camry production for US sale occurs in Kentucky. And once the Subaru plant in Indiana gets up to speed with additional Camry production, imports from Japan are slated to stop altogether.
  • markludmarklud Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know if the V-6 engine has a timing chain or belt? If it's a chain, does it ever need adjustments?
    2007 V6 has a chain; no need for adjustments.
    9 o/o 32 basic LE Camry's have VSC and nothing more ( + mats ).
    Additional update... 276 o/o 1000+ basic LE Camry's in the CAT region have VSC alone.
    Well, that's good to know, thanks! So at least in the Central Atlantic region, it's not hard to find a basic LE 4-cylinder with VSC.
    Since VSA will be standard on all 2008 Honda Accords, maybe Toyota will make VSC widely available nationwide on 2008 Camrys.
  • redvwredvw Member Posts: 40
    Can one find VSC in 4 cylinder SE Camry's in the North East?
  • johnbaxter1johnbaxter1 Member Posts: 12
    in this review the reviewer states:"note that the SE is the
    only camry without a folding rear seat"
    The 2007 XLE offered a "reclining rear bench type seat".
    It was not a folding seat which added trunk space for
    those of us that want the additional storage space.
    It simply reclined backwards.
    Will the 2008 XLE have a truly split 60/40 folding
    rear seat?
    It won't change back for '08. If you want a folding seat with a full-size pass-through, you have to get either the base CE or the slightly uplevel LE.

The Hybrid has folding seats, but the size of the pass- through is limited by the battery pack.
  • questionbywifequestionbywife Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how long (in feet/inches) a 2007 Toyota Camry is? My husband wants to buy one and I want to buy a freezer. Both need to go into the garage and I just want to see how much space will be left for the freezer after the car is in there (car comes before freezer)! I can't seem to find this info anywhere.
    From the 07 Camry brochure...

Overall height, unloaded... 57.9"
    Overall width.............. 71.7"
    Overall length............. 189.2"
  • bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    I haven't gotten a Camry yet; still looking. One thing I haven't been able to puzzle out after searching the posts is whether, if you have the Toyota accessory XM radio installed, the steering wheel audio controls control the XM radio in the same way as they do the FM radio, i.e. changing stations?

Also, can you assign presets to XM radio stations as you can for FM?

Thanks.
  • camryowner1camryowner1 Member Posts: 62
    Have problems with my 07 Camry 4cy/5spd automatic. Built in Kentucky plant in 12/06, car flares up and downshifts much too often when going up any incline, however slight. I was wondering if anyone out there has an 07 Camry 4cy/5spd automatic who is NOT experiencing these problems.
    If so, was your car built in Japan (VIN starts with J), or in USA (VIN starts with 4T).
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Go to your dealer, and they should do TSB EG036-07.
  • camryowner1camryowner1 Member Posts: 62
    Had TSB EG036-07 installed August 17. Helped with hesitation, but still have flare-up, downshift problems with my 07 Camry LE 4cy. automatic. How about you?
  • bsmitmarbsmitmar Member Posts: 10
    We are looking for a 2008 camry se with the xm radio built in. it's the EJ package addon. Does anyone have this and did you have to order your car? Also is there an antenna on the roof or is is intergrated?

Thanks
  • taz16taz16 Member Posts: 29
    Nah, its "so called" xm ready jus like a cable ready TV you will have to order the service.

My cuz asked the same question, the only thing he had 2 do was 2 activate the service.

As for the an antenna, it is intergrated in the front windshield in a grid(a small black square).

I hope that helps you some
    Hi thanks for your help. we have xm radio now, so
    adding the EJ package is what we need right? someone
    else said we can have this added at the dealer or at
    the port. do you know anything about this? i saw
    that xm module is different from the EJ package. what
    do you think is the best way to get this xm on there.

thanks
    This has not been true. "XM-ready" only means the radio is capable of accepting an XM receiver module.
    It isn't installed and neither is the antenna.
    The dealer has to tear the dashboard apart to install the XM receiver and install the antenna and run the antenna wiring inside the car.
    It is quite a bit of labor, so that's why adding XM on at the dealer is so expensive and why the XM antenna installations look so ugly when they aren't factory installed.
  • donna19donna19 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Please bear with me as this is my first new car.

I am considering purchasing this car - or the 2008 version. Any bugs in this first year of remodel?

I see potential transmission bugs - in V6 as well?

The 2008s are hard to get in my area right now, although I test drove one, they don't seem to be cutting very good deals right now.
    So, I need a car soon and I may buy the 2007, but am worried about the "bugs" of a first year remodel.
    Thanks, Donna
    the V6 is alot of engine. you should consider the 4 cylinder. i have a camry now and the 4 cyl. has alot of horsepower. the get up and go from the start is great. i think i woud go with the 2008 model. i have read alot of not so good things with the 2007's. as for availability what area do you live in? we have bought 5 toyotas from the dealer in claremont ca.
  • donna19donna19 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your timely reply.
    I live in Placentia, CA. I test drove a 2008 Camry at Anaheim - but I'm trying to deal and the dealers that I have contacted aren't budging much. Many of them said that they don't have many 2008s available yet.

However, on the 2007 they're making a pretty good deal, but I realize that they're trying to move them out. I wouldn't mind a 2007 if it's not buggy.

I'm planninng on taking a road trip soon - so lots of freeway driving and hilly country where I'm going. I'm set on the V6.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Can the Camry audio system play mp3/wma files off a DVD+R/DVD-R?

Thanks.
  • k128k128 Member Posts: 4
    No, mine does CD's only.
    You can get a cheap 8GB mp3 player and plug it into the aux.

Erik.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Yes, the default CD player (at least the ones we get in Canada) read MP3 and WMA discs.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    jrock65,

I have the JBL stereo and I use CD-R's. I make a data cd (instead of an audio cd) and fit around 130 songs on a cd. I like having that many songs, but it sometimes becomes annoying having toi search through so many songs....

I would imagine that if you have around 1,000+ songs on a DVD disc that you would get very annoyed hitting the "next" button or turning the audio nob to find the song you want to listen to. I personally haven't tried using a DVD disc, nor do I want to.

Let us know if it works.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Most of the production issues in the 2007 model year should have been worked out by now.
  • loanerloaner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 LE, and bought an extra remote entry keyfob. I cannot find in the owners manual, where it tells you how to add this to the security system.

My other vehicles have the directions in their manuals, and it usually entails opening the vehicle with the original keyfob, putting the key in the steering column within a certain period of time, hitting a specific set of buttons on the new keyfob, etc.

Does anybody know the process to add a keyfob to the security system? I have all original keyfobs/keys, just need to know the sequence.

Thank everyone in advance.
    Just got a 2007 XLE V6 this past Sunday from fitzmall.com I drove it home 1000 miles through the low mountains (or very high hills) of Virginia, the rolling hills of Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, and the flatlands of Louisiana. I experienced none of the problems reported on here. The engine was extremely smooth.

Additionally, if you feel you need some extra zoom, the smartshift or whatever it's called is very effective. ;)

BTW, I averaged 30mpg on the whole trip, with a lot of it being driven between 70 and 80 mph. On a winding and very hilly stretch in Virginia where I averaged 68mph over 99 miles, the readout showed 32.9 mpg on that stretch. So, there isn't a lot of room for savings on gas with the 4 cylinder.
    Since you got higher than EPA on the V6, why wouldn't you also get higher than EPA on the 4 cylinder?
    Also, the real world mileage difference between 4 cylinder and V6 is greatest in normal city driving anyway, not 1000 mile road trips.
    Drive 1000 miles of stop and go city traffic with both and see how different the mileage is then.
    "Since you got higher than EPA on the V6, why wouldn't you also get higher than EPA on the 4 cylinder?" My guess is that the V6 can laze along in overdrive more of the time while the 4 has to run harder at higher rpm. It was clear the there was plenty of extra power left under the hood.

So far, getting a bit over 20 mpg after filling up and 2 days of what I think is less than optimal city driving: stop and go in the rain, showing a guest around town with a lot of pulling over to the side and sitting with the engine running, waiting 15 min for a ferry with the engine running. Will keep an eye on it.

The salesman explained that the newer epa ratings tended to penalize higher tech engines. It's a little too early in the morning to remember the explanation, but it seems he was right.

It may be that Toyota has biased their readouts, although it seems that measurements in a fuel injected engine should be the most accurate of all.
    The 6 cylinder doesn't rev any lower when you drive it than it does when the EPA tested it at got their fuel economy numbers. The 4 cylinder gets better mileage even at higher RPM. RPM alone doesn't determine mileage or manufacturers would put in larger engines to raise fuel economy rather than smaller ones.

There are a lot less variables cruising at highways speeds than "city" driving that depends on how much stopping, starting and idling is done.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Keep in mind that most car sales people are not technical and will offer or repeat explanations that make no technical sense.

As a mileage data point, my 2005 3.3L gets 20 mpg in typical city driving in the summer, dropping to 18 in the winter. Highway varies from 25 to 28, the higher number using premium (though just about a wash in offsetting the higher cost.)
    Many people post that they think that they not only get better mileage with premium in cars where regular is the the recommended fuel, but that they get enough better mileage to offset a 20 cent per gallon cost difference making the cost either free or even cheaper than using regular.
    Maybe if the regular was an ethanol blend, otherwise that makes no sense.

http://ask.cars.com/2007/07/premium-gasolin.html
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Some engines are optimized for regular gas and will not benefit from premium. Some engines are optimized for premium but will run on regular with "reduced performance" and usually reduced mileage as well.

I believe the 3.3L Toyota engine falls into the latter category and my experience over thousands of miles confirms that premium results in marginally better fuel economy, just about enough to offset the higher cost. The psychological benefits are priceless. ;)
    I checked the Toyota Configurator and now there is a new option group available for 2008 Camry XLEs with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder.

"Option B" that adds:

- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [14] with Traction Control (TRAC) (VS)
    - California emissions (CA)
    - Carpet/Trunk Mat Set (CF)

for the price of $849 making the MSRP total $26,509

That should be similarly equipped to a 2008 Accord EX automatic (that comes with standard VSA).

Price is not competitive though.

A 2008 Accord EX automatic has a MSRP of $24,495
    A 2008 Accord EX-L (leather) automatic MSRP is $26,495

So, you can get leather on the 2008 Accord for less than the 2008 Camry XLE with standard cloth.

Doesn't seem competitive
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some posts about the 08 Camry were moved to that discussion. Here's the link: trdcamry, "Toyota Camry 2008" #45, 6 Oct 2007 9:30 am.
  • eetereeter Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I had a puntured tire ( nail). Do I have to change all 4 tires now? two ?
    I have 25k on my odometer

Thanks
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    depends.
    where was the puncture? can it be plugged? nail holes can generally be plugged. a good option if someone tells you a plug is possible (depends on hole size and location), and gives you some time to find replacements.

at 25K, if i couldn't plug the tire, i'd probably replace two at the same time but only if the other two have significant tread remaining. if they don't, i'd research tires and compare to what I currently have on the car here:
    www.tirerack.com

if buying 4 tires, i would poney up the money for a 4wheel alignment.
    It was rather a tear ( 1 inch ). Do you think it is still reparable?
    The curent tire have 215/60R16 V94 : speed rating V which is rated (150mph)
    Do I need to maintain it or i can go to a lower speed rating
    I never go beyond 90 mphr why should I install a tire with 150mph tires??
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    A tear would not be repairable. A nail hole would.