Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• Options
    kelcornkelcorn Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking at buying an Odyssey. I was in an accident :sick: in my 10 year old explorer last week and it can not be repaired. I like the Ody but have read about transmission problems in some of the 2002/03/04 which makes me hesitant to buy a used one. I have gotten some quotes for new 06 models but I can spend aprox $9,000 less for an 04 model.
    Can I get some opinions?
    Thanks
    Kelli
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Kelli, the main factors to consider are 1) money 2) money and 3) everything else.

I haven't read much on Ody's depreciateing $9,000 in two years...so it sounds as if that would be a good deal buying the 04 if there is nothing wrong with it.(ie. 60 or 70 k miles)

If you can afford a 06 and like it much better than the 04 style...then buy it.
    I wouldn't worry to much about the "transmission problems" ...theres always going to be transmission problems in some vehicles no matter which manufacturer you chose.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    chendchend Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a 2006 EX Odyssey and noticed in the vehicle description
    sheet [ the one stuck on the window ] had Engine built in USA, but
    Transmission built in Japan.
    Question: Do all 2006 Odyssey's come with Transmissions made in Japan ??
    THX
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Yes, all 05-06 Odyssey transmissions that I know of, are made in Japan. The previous generation Odyssey transmissions were also made in Japan.
  • Options
    nutrientnutrient Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just got my new odyssey 2006 EXL+DVD, while i was driving it, i kept hearing some kind of noise from eith back or from wind, does any one know what exactly it is from? I think it is not something wrong, just noise generated through driving, especially in highway, I would expect the car to be quiet. ASlo does anyone know when we will need to use "dsip mode" on the front panel? Also When I don't have any CD in the changer, I found I couldn't swith the channel to CD mode, but Am/FM, DVD, XM, AUX mode were fine, Is it normal? When I Turned on real control (rear power), then I could do it (still without any CD in the changer). I also found when I turn the knob front to rear, it will trun back in couple of minutes, if no any funtion were performed from back, is it normal as well?

Any help is appreciated! :)
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Pesonally, I would buy a new '06 since the car is dramatically improved from the previous generation. The '04 is basically 1998/99 technology with some improvements (5 speed trans vs 4 speed, more engine power).

I would also look at the braking system differences. Test drive the '04 again and check to see if the brakes shudder above 50mph when coming to a quick stop (hills are the best place to check). My '00 Odyssey has a terrible braking system with incurable front disc shuddering.

Hopefully, the '06 should be years ahead in technology and some of the issues ironed out.
  • Options
    06exldvdody06exldvdody Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

First Timer here.

I just took delivery of my new 06 EX-L DVD Ody and have some noise coming from the front windshield when driving. It stops when we stop. I believe that the windshield has an air leak. I just want to make sure that no one else has had this problem.

Thanks
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    In "search this discussion" put in "wind noise" --beaucoup responses
    good luck you should find how others resolved this problem
    rockycow
  • Options
    archiarchi Member Posts: 2
    I purchased Honda Odyssey 2006 EX-L 3 weeks ago and noticed vibration and noise when VCM kicks in when speed is around 20-30 mph. Anybody has similar experience?
  • Options
    jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    I purchased Honda Odyssey 2006 EX-L 3 weeks ago and noticed vibration and noise when VCM kicks in when speed is around 20-30 mph. Anybody has similar experience?

Archi,

Can you elaborate on this problem a little more:

1. How do you know that VCM is on? I assume you look at the ECO indicator or the VCM indicator
    2. What engine speed (RPM range) when this happens?
    3. What gear the vehicle in when it happens?
    4. What is the nature of the noise? low frequency booming sound (like Bass), high pitch sound?

We have had the 05 EX-L since Nov 2004. We did notice a strange low frequency booming sound from either engine/transmission/air induction in the 2100-2400 RPM range regardless of in town or high way driving. It sounds like the Automatic transmission is icaught n the wrong gear and engine could not carry the load. As soon as the engine RPM is out the stated range, everything is OK again. I noticed the transmission is in 4th or 5th gear when that happens. In addition, ECO indicator is not on. But who knows, the indicator may say one thing, but vehicle may be doing another.

With VCM, Honda has to do two things to reduce vibration while vehicle is in 3 cylinder mode: New engine mounting (mechanical) and Electronic Noise Cancelation (out of phase sound from radio to cancel out the noise). You could not do anything with the engine mounting. But for the latter, you can experiment with turning it off and on to see if that function somehow is screwed up. Someone earlier posted the procedure on this forum or the Problem forum. I followed the instruction but could not see any improvement. So in my case, it is likely mechanical vibration. We have lived with it and hope that it is not indicative of good old Honda automatic transmission problem (massive recall of older Odys to inspect and install small pump for second gear inside the transmission)

Something else: there is ABS/Traction Control initilization noise everytime you start driving the vehicle from the PARK position. It sounds like a high pitch scratchy sound. It is normal and every vehicle does that. If this is what you hear, then do not worry about it

jt
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    As a 2006 Touring owner I can tell you this noise is not normal. The noise cancellation system that monitors vibration and injects an opposite polarity signal is active even with the radio off so I don't know what 'tests' consumers can do to confirm function. I've heard of a few mounts and sensors being bad and if you hear anything this could be the problem. Suggest taking it to your local dealer for a pro look and opinion.
  • Options
    archiarchi Member Posts: 2
    Jt,

Yes, I looked at the ECO indicator. Usually this low frequency sound (exactly as you described) appears around 2000 RPM, sometime 1500. And alaways when VCM kicks in. When RPM go up, sound disaapears. Or when VCP is off.
    I drove another new car, and sound was much lower. Mechanic told me that I will always hear something but I doubt that this is normal.
  • Options
    jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Archi,

I think it is universal Honda VCM characteristic. I read numerous complaints on the Accord Hybrid vehicle also about the "droning sound". This vehicle does have VCM feature on smaller 3.0L V6 (same family anyway). This is to me "unrefined" for an excellent vehicle like the Odys.

Some months back, there was one 05 Odys owner who was too angry about this problem and registered his complaint to the approriated government agency about it.

Let all of us know if you get satisfactory answer from the Honda dealer on this issue. I am too afraid to have them working on my transmission and screw up on something else.

jt
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, archi,

You might want to ask the folks in the Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions discussion. Some of the people there may have had the same problem and may be able to help you out.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    cnajarrocnajarro Member Posts: 1
    I want to see if you find out from the dealer about the wind noise. I have an 05 LX Ody and having the same issue.

So far the dealer even replace the windshield and no luck. My minivan is back in the dealer today again. I thought they have fix the issue in the 06 model but now I am starting to worry more.

Let me know if they fix your issue.
  • Options
    meece408meece408 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen many posts regarding vibration during driving. I have a problem with my '05 EX when I'm sitting still. It's so bad that if I'm sitting in my car with the engine running while I'm waiting for my kids bus, I start to feel sick to my stomach and have to turn the car off. Is there anyone else having this problem? My dealership admits there's a problem - they ran extensive tests on it but can't fix it.
  • Options
    thomas05thomas05 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 06 Odyssey with the back up sensors installed by the dealer. He mentioned that it is impossible to also put in the sensors for the front bumper as the touring has. In the age on same-part production of large manufacturers this seems to be a little odd and I assume that the non-existing or different cables might be one of the main issue. Anybody any idea if this is still possible to install in an EXL. And if so, where can I buy the parts or what are there numbers.
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    I think you're right as the harness built into the vehicle probably doesn't include the wires needed for the front sensors. Nothing like this is impossible. You may have to go with an aftermarket system (hard to find for up front) and as a result, may never get the full integration of the Touring. With major dismantling, time, and expertise, you may be able to install said OEM compatible wires.

I don't have any part numbers but I'm sure one of the frequent flyer Ody-clubwielding-techno-wizards will drop in and give you more specifics and may even know of a work around. I searched other places and can find no modifications for adding front sensors, just aftermarket rear stuff. I'm sure you know to get color coordinated rear sensors from the dealer or have them paint them to match.

Good luck, this could be a toughy.
  • Options
    ddewees7ddewees7 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else having problems with defective glass in their windshield? The dealership claims they're all like this, so he refues to replace it. The waves are very noticeable when looking out at a distance from the drivers side through the passanger's side. However, something funky is going on on the drivers side as well. I get the effect of driving with only one contact lens in...two different focuses I guess. I'm ready to pay to have it replaced myself, but I'm meeting with the customer rep. (whenever that'll be!), so I'd like to find others with the same problem, so I can go in armed with info. Had the same problem in our Accord also, but it's not nearly as bad. Thanks!
  • Options
    thomas05thomas05 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Got confirmation in the meantime, that this is not possible even with the touring OEM kit as the wires and parts of the electronics are probably will give me more trouble than this is worth.

Thanks to marketing segmentation..... ;)
  • Options
    horseyridehorseyride Member Posts: 6
    Does EX let you remove 2nd row console? I know it is available on touring, but I'd like to be able to remove it to get access to third row through the middle on the EX model. Can the 2nd row seats also slide together on the EX?
    Thanks
  • Options
    pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    See my post under Odessey problems and solutions forum #5819. We are in same situation. Will report update after tomorrow's Dealer visit.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    The EX doesn't come with a 2nd row console, it comes with an extra seat instead. That seat is removable/stowable in the lazy susan. And yes, if you remove the middle seat, you can slide the bucket seats together. Both 2nd row buckets fold/slide forward for easy access to the 3rd row as well.
  • Options
    sleepieonesleepieone Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue. Did you find a cheaper method? :confuse:
  • Options
    lingicerlingicer Member Posts: 3
    I bought my EX-L (w/o RES, GPS) yesterday at Houston, TX yesterday. It was $17 over invoice, which is $28275. drive out price is $30,300. really great van with moonroof, leather, 6 CD changer and 8-way power seat. I also got quote for $100 below invoice, but that dealer is almost 200 miles away from me. So I choose this houston dealer. Great van. I love it.
  • Options
    kthankthan Member Posts: 30
    I will go for a test drive (06 Odyssey EX-L) this weekend and might buy it if I like the car and the price. Based on my previous experience, not all (new) cars are the same. One car is little different from the others in one way or the other. Differences could be related to the level of engine noise/ride noise/vibration/rattling etc. Or, it could be some fit& finish issue (glove box fit, power sliding door issue, windshield issue, etc). I want to ask what things I need to check (even if I cannot catch all the possible issues with one or two test drives to prevent keep coming back to dealership for minor issues.). Choosing the right vehicle might be a matter of luck, but I hope I can increase my luck by careful test/inspection of the car.

I test drove Odyssey EX-L twice (with one week interval) and the first vehicle seemed to be quieter and smoother than the second (I understand it is not accurate because of the time gap and differences in road condition, etc.). Just like this case, I think I might prevent some potential minor issues by carefully selecting the vehicle at the time of purchase. Obviously, multiple availability of the vehicle (model/color) has no guarantee. Even if I chose to order another one because I don't like the one in stock, there is no guarantee that a better built vehicle will come.

However, please advise me how things I need to check before selecting the vehicle for purchase. I appreciate your help in advance.
  • Options
    Excellent points on all new cars not being the same kthan. I for one would never order and buy a vehicle without test driving and inspecting that particular vehicle I was buying.

The things I look for are things you have already mentioned. May help to look at it as if you were buying used. Make sure a/c and heat work, electricals, suspension, rattles,leaks etc. I would check the exterior really well...look for any scratches or blemishes. We had a rear hatch that needed adjustment on our test drive as there was some wind noise. Good luck.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    Two issues which seem to affect some of the 2006s (as well as earlier MYs)are:
    1. Wind noise/whistle from around the windshield- driver's side at 40+ mph, and
    2. I've seen several complaints about optical distortion in some of the windshields.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I disagree. I can never tell any difference from one new Honda to another. I would agree on cars that were built 30 years ago but they are so consistant now I think you would be experiencing more of a placebo effect than anything else.

And, each new car go's through a detailed Pre Delivery Inspection. The technicians go completely over the cars and they drive them to insure everything is the way it should be.

Still, if this makes you feel better, pick the one you think is the best of the bunch sitting there!
  • Options
    "I disagree"

Why does that not surprise me. I've read hundreds of posts here on Edmunds about people taking their vehicles home after purchase and discovering scratches, wind noise problems, seat problems, fit and finish problems,electrical problems, shifting problems, etc etc etc. And you think they are all EXACTLY the same? :confuse: You aren't trying to get our goat are ya?

I think the reason you may never notice any difference is because you look at the things every day... every day for the last...what...two decades? I doubt you drive every one that comes in.

Plant workers, parts manufacturers, pre delivery inspectors,salesmen...they are all prone to mistakes.Granted the majority may have no noticeable differences. But, I would inspect and check the vehicle I was purchasing as throughly as possible. If I drop 20 or 30 grand on a vehicle, I figure that's the least I can do. ;)
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Good advice as usual from jipster. ;)
    It is more difficult to be selective with an Odyssey since a person has to place a $ 500 NON-Refundable deposit on a specific vehicle weeks or months before it arrives at the dealership for a personal inspection. :sick:
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...since a person has to place a $ 500 NON-Refundable deposit on a specific vehicle weeks or months before it arrives at the dealership for a personal inspection."

Let's not confuse the policies of individual dealerships with Honda of America. Or are you trying to say that ALL Honda dealerships require $500 NON-Refundable deposits for ordered vehicles?
  • Options
    "Good advice as usual from jipster. ;) "

Why thanks hans...I appreciate that. I knew there was a good reason I have you on my Christmas list. ;)

Interesting to note that in todays paper they have Honda Ody Touring models advertised for $5,000 off.I knew they were discounting them...but had never seen them advertised in the paper like that before. Good news for the consumer.
  • Options
    I'm sure there is a hook somewhere.
  • Options
    No hook that I saw. New 06' Honda Odyssey Touring R&N DVD Navagation. List at $40,647. minus $5,200. equals $35,447.Has a special coupon you cut out...wonder if they ever have double coupon days like they do at our local Kroger Supermarket. ;) In fine print it does say the vehicle comes with wheel locks, door guards, mud guards ,cargo tray and key chains.

I got out an electron microscope to read the extra fine print at the bottom of the page.i.e "lender approval, photo for illustration only.Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.In stock units only" So, I suppose the hook could be that that particular unit is not in stock...but other similar models are. The ole bait and switch advertisement.
  • Options
    The MSRP on that Odyssey is 39,345 incl. destination so I don't know where the 40,647 came from. 35,447 is invoice on it.

Hard to understand why a dealer would feel the need to cheap sell a great product that is in high demand?

I guess it's their store and they can do whatever they want to. In the process they ruin the market in their area.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Well, the problem is that the MSRP for an R&N is NOT $40,647, but far less. Soooooo, it's been marked up before being marked down (and the listed accessories would not add up to the padded total). Of course, that dealer's "list" is not necessarily the same as MSRP anyway.

That said, $35,447 with the listed accessories is a good price.
  • Options
    There will be "surprises" of some sort?

It'll turn out to be a demo with 5000 miles maybe?

Just makes no sense to do something like this, that's all.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "It'll turn out to be a demo with 5000 miles maybe?"

DING DING DING DING!!!!!!! You win the kewpie doll!!!

A big clue was the add stated the offer was good for in-stock units only. Who wants to bet this unit is the ONLY Touring NAV/RES in stock, was a demo, and the daily driver for the sales manager for the last 3 months?
  • Options
    That would still be a great buy!
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I love Hondas. I have a family with one kid here and one on the way for fall 2006. I hope to buy before then.

My heart says get a Ridgeline. My head says get an Odyssey. Pilot seems like a luke warm compromise. I don't need to haul 8 people but I really do not need a truck bed either.

For my situation, a Ridgeline would be a life style choice. I am a typical Harry Homeonwer who would use a truck bed but do not really need it.

Odyssey is a very flexible choice but seems to be all "head" and no heart.

Spouse is ambivalent / hostile to truck depending on the day.

Any thoughts for those in similar situation.
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Spouse is ambivalent / hostile to truck depending on the day.

When the spouse is hostile, essentially you "compromise" and go with what she says. ;)
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Odyssey. Combines the best features of the 3, is much better looking, and gets much better gas mileage. ;)
    Of course, I would not want to put a deer or an elk into the back of the Odyssey like can be done with a pickup when hunting so it really depends on what you want to haul in the back of your vehicle.
  • Options
    06exldvdody06exldvdody Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

An update on my windshield air leak.

I took my 06 EX-L back to the dealer and they removed the windshield moldings, resealed the windshield and replaced the moldings and the noise is gone.

:)
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    here we go again with the $500

are people that ignorant now that they will put a $500 non refundable deposit on a car?
  • Options
    dansgirldansgirl Member Posts: 14
    Meece - I had previously posted a similar problem in the Problems & Solutions forum ('05 EX-L Rough Idle and Drive). It ended up being the rear engine mount (after several days in the shop figuring out nothing...). Have they already checked this on yours?
  • Options
    cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    I'm in the same boat. I'm considering replacing a '99 Grand Caravan that I've had since fall of '98 (with no problems at all). My other car is a Pilot, which has been flawless since summer of '03, performs great in snow and on camping trips, and gets better gas milage than my friends' Odysseys (18-19 city, 24-25 highway). The Pilot is great, but my test drive in the Ridgeline seemed even better...and both seemed to drive better than the Odyssey. However, the van definitely has more configurations and conveniences, making the choice that much harder. Please post if you make a final decision, and I will do likewise.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I need to throw some snow in this picture.

One key task for this vehicle is Christmas and Thanksgiving Trips to Minnesota and Michigan. We live in Ohio but MN is 900 miles away and the MI destination is 500 miles away and on the lake with lake front snow.

How does the Ody handle snow like this? This is one factor that could give a Pilot, MDX or Ridgeline the nod.
  • Options
    khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    Can't speak for the 05+ but I figure it wouldn't be much different. Drove our 99 during last Xmas snow storm, made it through w/o any problems. The storm was bad, there were cars all over the road. Took us 6hrs to get from Columbus to Cincinnati (normally 2hr trip). No problem getting through Kentucky w/ all that mountain and snow either. We had the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T all-season tires. Great van, great tires.
  • Options
    pazbienpazbien Member Posts: 11
    2005-2006 Odyssey handles excellent in the snow. I have a Touring since last year and am loving it.