Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• Options
    fairview1fairview1 Member Posts: 4
    We purchased a new Odyssey with 80 miles on it and after having it for one day we heard a noise when driving it at 70 mph. At first the dealer said the noise was nothing. After 3 visits to the dealer we are now told that we need a new transmission. I have lost confidence in the car and Honda of America will not give us a new vehicle. What do others think of a dealer taking out a transmission and replacing it? Can anyone think of other problems a van can have related to a car getting a new transmission so early. We are very disappointed in our dealer and Honda of America. Any suggests?
  • Options
    daedae Member Posts: 143
    Some will increase, some will decrease....no solid rule available!

On average, ratings will decrease - as they made a bit stricter rules on what may hang off the engine.

Toyota Sienna went to 210 from 230.
  • Options
    yjfuyjfu Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Odyssey EX-L and agree the J.D. Powers' rating of the 3 categories for it. My car had windshield whistle noise taking 2 months to fix it and still has rattle noise on several interior areas which I have given up after a few visits to the dealer. Odyssey is definitely worse in these categories than my previous Previa. :(
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Your post sounds strangely familiar. Who is your dealer and where did you buy from.. and at what price and model?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    My question is that how owners can rate the styling/exterior a two star - did they never liked the style of the van, but still bought it?

I was sitting in a Papa John's Pizza waiting for the pies to come out of the oven last week. With a great view of the road outside, I watched several new and some older Odysseys cruise by. This was a three-quarter clear view. While I had been slowly overcoming my initial distaste for the new Odyssey "style" (and I use that word advisedly), I was startled to realize three things:

1. The older 1999-2004 "new" Odyssey does look somewhat dated to me now.
    2. The newer 2005 Odysseys are truly and awesomely ugly from the three-quarter view. That "spoiler" or whatever hanging off the back looks kinda like the bill on a backwards baseball cap
    3. Quite the opposite of the case in the 1999-2004 Odysseys, the lack of a roof rack on the 2005 LXs actually helps the appearance by simplifying the look from the three-quarter angle.

So, after re-irritating everyone here who actually finds these lumpy and cumbersome-looking boxes attractive, here is my guess on what happened on the JD Power survey: either the people responding had bought the vehicle primarily as a serviceable people hauler though unimpressed with its "style" OR the respondents were the disappointed spouses of the one who had chosen the Odyssey! ;)
  • Options
    fairview1fairview1 Member Posts: 4
    We purchased our LX model for $24,300l van from Jack Matia in OH. They are sending a new transmission from Marysville, OH. I am trying to gather as much information and learning about my rights before we take the van back later this week. Any ideas or questions we should be asking would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks fairview. There was some dude in the Problems and Solution board that had the same problem with an engine needing replaced on a EX after only 600 miles.You may want to check that string out.

He lobbied the dealer for a brand new vehicle..then had to go to Honda Customer Service Rep. when dealership dropped the ball. The basis of his argument was that having a new engine put in would lower the value of the vehicle as well as reliability questions coming up as engine is being put in by tech from dealership and not the manufacturer. He ended up getting a 7yr/100k mile/0 deductable at no cost to him.
    I would think you should get the same type of extended warranty as well. Though I would probably start off asking for a brand new vehicle.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    mich_chowmich_chow Member Posts: 58
    I find the new Odyssey to be more macho looking - but that is just my opinion. And, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, that you don't like it. That is why we have so many designs, so many varieties in this world.

I was sitting in a Papa John's Pizza waiting for the pies to come out of the oven last week. With a great view of the road outside, I watched several new and some older Odysseys cruise by.

It is clear that you don't like the new Odyssey design, and you probably even hated it more, with a hungry stomach waiting for your pie to come out of the oven ;) .

...either the people responding had bought the vehicle primarily as a serviceable people hauler though unimpressed with its "style" OR the respondents were the disappointed spouses of the one who had chosen the Odyssey!

Well, people have other choices - didn't have to buy the Odyssey as a people hauler. Disappointed spouse responding to JD Power? Can't say impossible, but the chances would be very very low that all are disappointed spouses. If this is true, we would probably would have seen many, many other things (not just the Odyssey) being rated in JD Power in the negatives ;) .
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Going to the store today, I saw a 2005 Ocean Mist Metallic Odyssey pull out of the parking lot onto the street and stop and the stop light.
    It looked like there was more clearance under the rear bumper than pre-2005 Odysseys appeared from behind them. ;)
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Sterling22, try asking your question in the Honda Odyssey Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion; other members there may have experienced the same issue as you, and may have found a solution.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Here's a good article on HP...

Asians oversell horsepower
  • Options
    amosanon1amosanon1 Member Posts: 23
    Well, we *finally* took delivery of our 2005 Ody EX-L RES in slate green. (It took around 6 weeks for anyone to get our color, and the buying experience was a pain.)

What can I say? I love this car! It replaces our 1998 Ody, and man, the power, the quiet, the comfort, the gizmos. . . . Wow.

Last night we went for our first real drive with the kids. A total of about 100 miles. The DVD player is like crack cocaine for those children. And I mean that in the best possible way. My only complaint is that one kid is too young to keep the headphones on her head, so we were all stuck listening to the kiddie show through the sound system--and my wife and I couldn't enjoy our own CD or some piece and quiet. Oh, and an iPod port would have been nice. But still. Listening to Big Bird rock out sure beats listening to the kids whine. Oh. And then the kids fell asleep. Bliss.

Frankly, at this point I'm jealous that my wife gets to drive this monster most days, and I'm stuck in my 4-cyl. Toyota Camry.

(We chose the Ody over the Sienna because of price, the extra seat, slight improvement in responsiveness, front-seat DVD insertion, and a couple of other minor factors. We did miss out on the electronic rear hatch opener that the Yota offered in our trim level. The Yota was slightly quieter, but we don't care; compared to our over-taxed '98 Ody, the new Ody is basically silent. Don't get me wrong: I understand why some people would choose the Sienna, and we would probably have been just as happy with it. But right now I'm not regretting anything!)

One question: I seem to remember that when you first buy a car you are supposed to drive it tenderly for some period of time. Anyone have info on that?
  • Options
    One question: I seem to remember that when you first buy a car you are supposed to drive it tenderly for some period of time. Anyone have info on that?

Ah the electronic information age of instant information, instant entertainment, instant gratification, inescapably-linked communications, and media-anesthetised children. The world in which no one has much time to devote to actually driving their vehicles since it is critical to be on the cell phone (and for passengers to be watching some entertainment or playing some electronic game). And now we can purchase a $30,000+ device and fully expect to operate it with essentially no effort spent in learning about it whatsoever. :confuse: Why, one would guess that folks are far happier and more fulfilled than ever in such idyllic conditions, eh? ;)

But some of those more ancient ones among us remember an amazingly helpful item included in the sale of all vehicles and almost all devices costing more than $5. I'm willing to bet there is one even now lurking silently, alone, and undisturbed in that little storage area anachronistically called the "glove box." Peek in there and find a whole wealth of helpful (might I say, critical?) information such as the manufacturer's break-in recommendations. What is this amazing source of such wisdom? Why it is the manual, of course! ;)

Beats me how we can buy so much insurance and pay so much for something and not be willing to even crack that manual just once to see what might be important. I'd be willing to bet that more people read food processor manuals than read automobile manuals. Nevermind that the prices differ by several orders of magnitude... :cry:
  • Options
    Ouch.

I never really understood the objection to DVD players or video games on long road trips. When I was a kid, we dreaded road trips. It meant being stuck in a car with a bunch of siblings for hours at a time. At best, we had to pretend that playing the alphabet game 20 times was actually fun. At worst, we tried to kill one another. Our kids don't watch much tv, but to preserve peace, tranquility, and sanity on a road trip, we're happy to allow it--not the whole time, of course; my kids can still pretend that I Spy is the best thing since sliced bread. But I won't make them do so for 8 hours.

As for reading the manual, perhaps an--um--youth challenged ;-) person such as yourself isn't aware that those things are now the size of the Bible. And not one of those hip translations, either. I'm talking the big fat original bible in hebrew. That's what we're looking at. In fact, the "manual" actually comes with its own manual, believe it or not. That's right: there is a guide to the manual!

Now, if I have never used a food processor before, I'd probably glance at the manual before trying to use it. Especially if it is one of those cuisinart dealies where if you don't snap it together just right, you lose an arm. But I've driven lots of cars. Hondas even. The layout is all the same; it is almost idiot-proof. I admit that the gizmos take some time to learn, but it isn't so complicated that five minutes of tinkering won't make it clear. So why should I read the bible? Or even the cliffs notes guide to the manual they provide? If I have a problem, I'll refer to it.

As for this question, I read an article once before about the proper way to "break-in" a new car; but I couldn't remember where I found it, and a google search didn't turn it up. So I figured what better resource than a bunch of geeks devoted to this car?

Besides, I'm at work, and I didn't bring the manual. :P
  • Options
    Don't let that old sourpuss dilbertzzz rain on your parade amosanon. :shades:

Congratulations on your Ody. It's nice to see someone enjoy their van so much.
  • Options
    Don't let that old sourpuss dilbertzzz rain on your parade amosanon.

Hey! I think I resemble that remark!?! :mad: ;) (kudos to Norm!)

Yep, I did notice the manual for the manual. And I'll freely admit to being fully anal retentive enough to wade through both. But then, I'm a troubleshooter by disposition and occupation, so I have a natural aversion to easily-preventable trouble.

Anyway, after having vented, I can also (graciously, if belatedly) tell you that these newer vehicles basically only require taking it a bit easy on the hard accelerations and hard braking (if possible, of course; collisions tend to break in a vehicle in a most undesirable way! :( ). Also, on those long-enough-to-use-the-DVD trips, try to avoid prolonged periods at any one speed (whoops! Too late, eh? Ah, don't sweat about it; most likely no harm done).

And, while I might agree that some really long trips might prove the DVD's worth, the reality is "really long" quickly becomes "any time the kids are in back!" :P
  • Options
    :P
  • Options
    You are most curmudgeonly welcome! ;)

And let me say that your responses to my tirade showed more class than I'm used to seeing in these Odyssey topics when strong opinions are aired. :) Well done!
  • Options
    odymikeodymike Member Posts: 23
    Per the manual...Go easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles...go easy on the engine for the first 600 miles.
  • Options
    aabbaabb Member Posts: 58
    Info forr those with EX-L RES and EX-L RES/NAV, Touring RES/NAV and wanting to connect their audio system to an iPod

I bought a 12 foot RCA to 3.5mm Y cable and hooked up my iPod to the L/R RCA Audio jack situated at the 3rd row console that allows game console connectivity.
    I routed the cable from the rear connection console to the iPod sitting in the console between the two front seats as follows:
    - connected the two rca jacks, routed the cable from the slit in the
    console and closed the console lid.
    - ran the cable vertically down and routed the cable below the
    plastic wheel well panel.
    - have a 2 inch run where the cable is exposed from where the
    wheel well plastic cover ends and the left sliding door plastic
    footboard begins.
    - next I ran the cable underneath the sliding door footboard
    all the way to the B-pillar.
    - next I ran the cable underneath the carpet to the rear left
    corner of the passenger seat.(I ran the cable to the passenger
    seat so that the cable does not come in the way when the
    front console is folded down)
    - I pulled the cable out from the base of the rear left corner of the passenger
    seat and left it hanging in the front console.

Now when I want to listen to the iPod, I connect the 3.5mm pin to the
    iPod, change my audio setting to AUX.
    Apple recommends keeping the iPod at 50% volume for best results.
    Use the Ody volume control to raise and lower the volume.

Would recommend using bare hands to push the cable underneath the
    plastic trim so that the cable does not get damaged.
    Yes you do need 12 feet exactly.

Warning: A driver trying to control the iPod sitting in the front console is a
    lot more distracting that looking at the NAV, be careful out there...
  • Options
    herbpowellherbpowell Member Posts: 8
    We chose the Ody over the Sienna because of price, the extra seat, slight improvement in responsiveness, front-seat DVD insertion, and a couple of other minor factors. We did miss out on the electronic rear hatch opener that the Yota offered in our trim level. The Yota was slightly quieter, but we don't care; compared to our over-taxed '98 Ody, the new Ody is basically silent. Don't get me wrong: I understand why some people would choose the Sienna, and we would probably have been just as happy with it. But right now I'm not regretting anything!

Amosanon1, congrats on your purchase!! My wife and I were comparing the Sienna XLE (either Option3 or 6) vs the Odyssey EX or EX-L, and we came to pretty much the same conclusion. Both were good cars and had their strong and weak points. We bought our EX at invoice, and at that price, the Odyssey was ~$2k cheaper than the comparable XLE Opt3. The Sienna's ride felt more plush, but the soft suspension was a negative in car responsiveness and handling. Vice versa for the Odyssey. We performed a u-turn on the street with both cars, and the Sienna leaned and felt it wanted to tip, while the Odyssey kepts its stance. Also, the Sienna's brakes were mushy and didn't grip well, unlike the Odyssey's. I wish they would make a minivan that matted the plushness of the Sienna with the responsiveness and handling of the Odysses :) , but in the end the $2k difference was the deal breaker.
  • Options
    aabbaabb Member Posts: 58
    For ipod connectivity look at my iPod post
  • Options
    mike_mike_ Member Posts: 3
    I could not agree more. The '05 Odyssey is my first foray into the world of fine Japanese automobiles. And I share the same gas guzzling experience all the other people complain about. Funny, all my European cars past and present hit the EPA numbers no problem. There is a marketing expression... let's see... I believe it's called "false advertising"?!
  • Options
    robandnancyrobandnancy Member Posts: 9
    The best so far was 23.29 mpg all highway, keeping it below 80
    Worst so far was 16.9 mpg mostly around town (not city, but stopping here and there stuff). Not bad for such a large car, but his is not the point.

Average for 5400miles 19.14 mpg close to 50/50 highway and around town. It is not even at the low end of the sticker. These numbers are provided by Honda, not some outside testing agency. They are told to follow guide lines. I’m sure one can get 28mpg with the car with the right conditions, but this is a little deceptive. My past cars have always be very close to the stickers.

Just a note: I would have still bought the car if the sticker said 16/24. I would have not felt so mislead.
  • Options
    mike_mike_ Member Posts: 3
    Judging by the many postings on Edmund as well as my personal experience I believe that the lower than stated gas mileage with the '05 Odyssey is a "real" problem. So naturally the question arises: Has anyone complained to Honda (or Honda dealer) about the gas mileage of the '05 Odyssey? If so, what was the response? I am really interested if there is a fix or adjustment that made a difference?
  • Options
    ducphanducphan Member Posts: 8
    1. My 2005 EX with Leather and RES just past the 10, 000 mark this past month. I purchased the van in November of 2004.

2. Before last month, I was getting 18-19 MPG on a mix of 50% city and 50% highway driving. On one semi-long trip, the van averaged 21 MPG over 400 miles of all highway driving.

3. Last month I took a long trip 1200 miles and average 27 MPG. Yes 27 MPG! 800 of those miles were highway the other 400 were city. On the highway we cruising at 75 MPH.

4. For the past 5 tank of gas, we have been averaging 23-24 MPG on mix of 50% city and 50% highway driving.

5. I was going to complain to Honda when my van reach 1 year old (November 2005), but I am very satisfied now. (Especially with the price of gasoline these dayt.) I hope and wish that every 2005 Honda Odyssey owners gets similiar results in the near future.

PS1. We usually get posted/publised MPG within three or four month of new car ownership. This Honda took 7 months to get there.

PS2. I also happy that this Honda only requires regular grade gasoline (87 octane) instead of premium grade gasoline (93 octane.) That is a 20-25 cent per gallon difference here in Houston, Texas.
  • Options
    It is great to see that some Odyssey owners are getting better mileage. Many unhappy ones who are not getting good mileage were told (by the Honda customer care) that it was because of their driving habit. Could you please describe your driving habit and what you think are do's and dont's that can give you better mileage? Thank you.
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Stay between 65 to 70 mph on the highway. Don't floor it when starting from a stop. Coast to red lights if you can. Make sure tire pressure is okay. Not much more you can do. :)
  • Options
    jrlc83jrlc83 Member Posts: 2
    Our 6 months old Odyssey is having problems with the a/c. Everynow and then it stops blowing cold air eventhough is warm as hell outside (an inside the car). Took it in for service and they tell me everything is within Honda normal parameters. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any fixes?
  • Options
    jrlc83jrlc83 Member Posts: 2
    We traded in a 2002 for a 2005 model, same driver, same habits but mileage is not better....VCM and all... go figure
  • Options
    carolteccaroltec Member Posts: 2
    I read the specs on the just released minivan having purchased an 05 last week. the four things that caught my eyes is that the 06 has 245hp while the 05 has 255hp. Does any one know why? Of a minor note, the 06 plays MP3 while the 05 does'nt and the 06 Touring has 3 flavors - w/res, w/res and w/res and nav. Why would an older model have more horses than the new one? Do I have to worry about anything? Finally, the NAV is not as precise with calculation as was on the 04? Even though the 05 Odyssey drove better, but calculating destinations was way off.
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    The 05-06 MY horsepower difference has to do with how it is calculated in the standard, It's the same hardware, engine, tuning, configuration, plug your buzz words in here as last year. In general, the Asian makes took dips, some more conservative estimators like BMW gained ground. Some folks may point out exceptions but this is the overall summation, not a rule. My personal feelings are that the horses put on a little extra weight this year and the price of grain has soared so they can't pull quite as hard, and as often. On the bright side, manure prices have (choose wording carefully Dave) piled on this bull/cow market creating huge stockpiles, investors are steaming! Enough silliness.

My music library isn't composed of tons of MP3's so this added capability in the '06 isn't a factor. Honda obviously wanted to give choices here, thus the standard satellite radio in the Touring with 90 days of service. I drove an Touring '05 R&N and looked at an '06 with R&N, I can't see the diff, glad you can.

You asked if you have anything to worry about? Sounds like buyers remorse has taken hold but there is very little difference between the MY '05 and '06 on purpose; why mess with success? You made a fine choice, enjoy it!

Here's what the '06 Touring didn't get but should have IMHO:
    1. A coin holder (nit)
    2. Mirror memory for two drivers coupled with the seat and pedal memory (This could have been fixed this year but with only one fob it was hard to tell on the lot).
    3. Second row memory (slide seat forward for third row entry and it should return to the previous position but doesn't)
    4. Bluetooth (personal nit)
    5. Standard removal cargo platform doober and table legs (Soccer moms love tailgate parties too)
    6. Daytime Running Lights and ability to select default settings (might be there but hidden in the glovebox encyclopedia)
    7. Remote start option, window roll down and vent from fob. (Typical of aftermarket security systems)

I'd pay a few grand more for these and some tastefully done stylish additions, maybe even some wood trim. It'd have to be rebadged as an Acura of course. To recycle my earlier quip, call it the FL for Family Luxury or FLorida model.

This future '06 Touring Res & Nav buyer will be content with picking one up anything close to invoice, yea right, maybe next Aug?
  • Options
    Further details from Temple of VTEC:
    "*For the 2006 model year, all Honda horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into effect in January of 2005. These new calculations reflect a number of significant changes in the way horsepower and torque are measured and may cause SAE net horsepower and torque totals published in 2006 media materials to differ from the figures published in previous years. To avoid confusion, all 2006 Honda press materials will specify “SAE net (Rev 8/04”) after all horsepower and torque figures to denote adherence to the new standards."
  • Options
    jjtrindcjjtrindc Member Posts: 24
    I'll have to agree with masterpaul1 here. I took a 1000 mile RT earlier this summer (DC to TN), and kept calculating gas mileage during our outings and got just under 27 mpg. I typically set the cruise control to 65 on the highways and drove pretty calmly during the day trips as I was usually packed with kids and/or adults. I was pretty pleased considering we were packed down, running a/c and were in a hilly destination.

Conversely, I just returned from a 700 mile RT (DC to NY) and had to drive much more aggressively to keep up with the flow of traffic - so I was typically going 70-75 mph. I also got caught in a couple of classic traffic jams typical of the I-95 corridor. Upon returning home, I only averaged 23.7...about 3 mpg less than the previous trip.

So, while not scientific by any means, going that extra 5-10 mph faster definately effects your gas mileage.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    '06 models didn't need to "get" key fob window roll-down - my '05 Touring has this feature. Simply click the unlock button three times and hold it down on third time.
    This is a wonderful feature on hot days.
  • Options
    Thanks cccompson,

We're not owners yet so I don't have an owners bible to study. Posting any other nifty features you've found or are lacking is appreciated.
  • Options
    vince_lmtvince_lmt Member Posts: 25
    Do you notice the problem when you are accelerating? Engine control systems will cycle the a/c off when accelerating or when the engine is under load going up a long hill. Primary purpose is to divert engine power from driving the a/c to propelling the vehicle.
  • Options
    ducphanducphan Member Posts: 8
    1. First, thing first, I am a speeder.

2. For the trip from Houston, Texas to Pensacola, Florida, the average speed was around 80-85 mph. We made the trip in 6 hours and 45 minutes. We left Houston at 10:15 pm and arrived in Pensacola at 5:00 am.

3. In Houston, for everyday driving, it hard to get the van above 70 mph due to traffic.

4. I hope the above information help. Most people are more conservative in there driving habits than I am and should expect to get better mph than me. Just wait and see.

5. I just filled up the van last night and the last tank average 23.5 mpg. Not bad. I can live with 23-25 mpg. The 19 mpg that we were getting was hard to swallow the first 8 months of ownership.

6. Have a great day.

7. I am in the process of buying a second Honda Odyssey, for my in-law. Here we go again with the internet email.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Hi, Mich:
    Since you bought your new Ody, you have all but disappeared!!
    I guess you are spending all your time driving and cleaning your new van!

Can you please update this forum regarding the following:

1) How is the road noise? Any rattles or squeaks?

2) Any steering wheel vibration at 60 or higher speed?

3) Any other comments and observations on the initial quality?
  • Options
    may0manmay0man Member Posts: 3
    I agree totally I've had my '05 Odyssey for 2 months, have 2K miles, probably 70% city and 30% highway. Although I didn't expect anything like the EPA, I'm only averaging 15 MPG My wife drives it most of the time taking the kids to school and getting groceries so she isn't hotrodding it, the highway trips we keep it around 65-70, We do run the AC a lot (darn Texas heat) but can't imagine it pulling 10 MPG out of it.
  • Options
    kpwkkpwk Member Posts: 2
    Did anybody else notice that the 2006 Odyssey has less horsepower than the 2005 Odyssey. Too bad to those that didn't buy the '05 model year. The hp went down from 255 to 244 and the torque was reduced from 250 to 240. OUCH!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    the engine is the same. The SAE changed the rules on how to do the test, so the numbers changed slightly. It happened to all manufactureres. SOme went up, some down.

But, it has the same amount of power as the 2005 model.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    aaron5aaron5 Member Posts: 1
    We have never done better than 19 m/gal in our 2005 Odyssey Touring. Even on long trips. On average, we get closer to the 15-16 m/gal range. My wife just took the car in for servicing and the service guy mentioned something about the brakes causing a slow down on the new Odyssey models. He said there will most likely be a notice sent to all Odyssey owners in the October timeframe for a servicing that will hopefully fix the mileage woes many of us are seeing. I'll believe it when I see it but now I'll wonder if the brakes are wearing prematurely and if its causing the engine to work harder than it should.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Ever get the feeling we'll still be hearing about this 3-years from now?
  • Options
    We are going to be seeing that HP question from now till doomsday.

May as well get use to it.
  • Options
    Hi vrm,

You are partially correct - I am driving my van as much as I can :) , partially, because I've been terribly busy with work :cry: , but TGIF.....

Here is my update on the Odyssey:
    1. I was expecting some road noise and somewhat harsher driving after reading many reviews, but I think the ride is very smooth. I have been driving a CR-V for a couple years now, but rented some newer cars and vans, and I still think the Odyssey is very smooth. I am particularly very impressed with the power. As I am still under 600 miles, I am taking it easy, but when I depress the pedal a little more (than taking it easy), I can really feel the thrust, and it speeds up very quickly, and you can tell that it is a powerful vehicle.

2. I have to say that I do hear (it was not there at the beginning) a very slight squeaking noise. I haven't had a chance to inspect the car seats or the stroller that I have in the back to see if those are responsible or not. But, the noise seems to be coming from the car. But as I said, it is very rare - I have to turn off the radio and listen very closely to hear it. Will keep you updated if it gets louder and indeed coming from the van.

3. No steering wheel vibration at 60 mph or higher. I have not driven it (yet) more than 80 mph.

4. Yes, the glove compartment is what everybody is complaining about - there is about 1/4 inch gap between the upper glove compartment and the dashboard. Other than that, I have not found any quality issues.

5. My first tank was 18.1 mpg - 95% city driving with lots of idle time and AC running all time.

Overall, me, and my family love the van - we will take any opportunity to ride when we can.

That's all for now...
  • Options
    Right. I think someone (a host) can make this (HP issue) a read only thread at the main menu under Odyssey forums.
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    Went on a long drive on the foothills of Ozarks along I-44. There was a constant loud engine/muffler sound whenever I went more than 75mph even on a flat road (this increases with speed). At 65-70mph, even a slight uphill road will result to the same annoying loud engine sound. It was hard on my ears espceially when driving on a smooth asphalt road. My van is 2005 EX, with 2k miles on it and the radio was turned off when I heard the sound. I have been driving this route using my car and this was the first time I heard this noise like a soup up small car racing in a highway. Maybe the engine power is not enough for this kind of hilly road. There were only two adult passengers and baggage enough for a four day trip.
  • Options
    woodie57woodie57 Member Posts: 2
    Love the new back seat set up. This Ody is quieter than my last. Enjoy the back windows and sunroof for ventilation. The mileage has been better on the highway, than my old Ody. These are only the improvements over my old Honda, which I was very happy with.

Now the bad. I have a whistle that comes and goes up front. I don't like the lit instruments during the day because I have mistakenly thought the headlights were on at dusk a couple of times. I don't like the gear shifter location after I inadvertently knocked her into "N" while reaching for the CD player. The hood is mounted noticeably out of line with the quarter panels. Reminiscent of the old days before automation. I hope this isn't a reflection on the build quality here in my home state.
  • Options
    herbpowellherbpowell Member Posts: 8
    We just had our very first fill up the other day, and the Odyssey EX did OK... within expected gas mileage. On the first 400 miles, we drove about 85% to 90% of the mileage on the freeway and mainly kept the speed between 65 to 70 MPH, with AC on, easy accelerations and braking. With that we averaged ~23.75 MPG. Decent since if we drove pretty much all freeway miles, we probably would've got very close to the advertised 25MPG. I hear that after several thousand the gas mileage improves. I certainly hope that's true!