Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    "despite all the chrome (sorry Andrew, chrome belongs on g-rides, not minivans)"

What?

Without chrome, I'd be really depressed:-)

But I cannot be the only person who likes chrome.

Look at all the luxury vehicles---sedans, SUVs. They all have serious chromes inside and out and have plenty of woodtrim inside.

But oh, well, as long as it has a totally awesome NAV, it will do.
  • ewt1ewt1 Member Posts: 10
    "Without chrome, I'd be really depressed:-)"

Heh. I'm just kidding. I've never been a chrome fan, but apparently everybody doesn't share my taste. You can put some 22" chrome spinners on whichever one you decide on to add some more bling. :)
  • tcsubwoofertcsubwoofer Member Posts: 25
    I like chrome also. My wife doesn't.
  • tcsubwoofertcsubwoofer Member Posts: 25
    I'm still getting internet quotes from Toyota dealerships even though I've placed an order for a Honda.

In each internet email I've responded to, I've explained that I can get an 05 Odyssey EXL DVDRES for $32,400. I just received a "best offer" from a dealership in Denver for a 2005 Sienna XLE package including the following:

XLE Package #7: Includes
    17" Alloy Wheels w/P225/60R17 All Season Tires
    Leather Trim Seats
    Dr & Fr Pass Seat Heaters
    Side Door & Quarter Window Sunshades
    Curtain Shield Airbags for All 3 Rows
    Dr & Fr Pass Side impact Airbags, Vehicle Stability Control w/TRAC
    Rear Disc Brakes
    Windshield Wiper De-Icer Grid
    Daytime Running Lights
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    JBL AM/FM/Cass/6-Disc CD Changer w/10 Speakers
    DVD Rr Seat Entertainment System w/2 Wireless Headphones
    Two 115V Power Outlets
    Carpet Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector

The features very closely match the 2005 Odyssey EXL DVDRES. The Toyota dealerships (internet sales) best offer was $34498 which is $1987 off MSRP. Nice discount, but still nowhere near the Odyssey. I could add the killer Odyssey NAV system to the Honda EXL DVD RES for the same price as the Sienna XLE package 7.

I still don't think $2000 is worth buying the Sienna over the Odyssey for a tad more room and power rear lift.
  • ewt1ewt1 Member Posts: 10
    I agree about the interior. I like the Sienna somewhat better (possibly because its familiar), but I liked the Odyssey interior too. I definitely agree about color choice. I ended up with Artic Frost Pearl, not because I really like white, but because I just didn't like any of the other colors very much. Most of them are too "flat". Silver/blue is one of my favorite car colors, but the one available on the Sienna is too much of a pastel blue, and not metallic enough IMO. Several of the Odyseey colors look nice in the brochure at least.

Sienna pricing depends on where you live. I had multiple dealers offering 3K off MSRP in Dec/Jan. when I got mine (in Northern CA). Apparently supplies are still tighter in other parts of the country. I'd guess 05 Odyssey availability should push prices down in most area.
  • acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    All I know is I ordered an 05 XLE LTD AWD w/ Navi for 39K. There is NO comparison IMO to the honda (which I've seen) so far as the interior appointments (I think the sienna is much nicer obviously). The exterior is personal taste, and at the end fo the day, its still a minivan. They both look good, but I still like the sienna.
    There's some dealing going around now w/ teh siennas which will be much needed competition!

Ace
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    re-visited the Toyota dealer today to check out the Sienna again. Couldn't drive it, but got to sit in and play with. THis was a base LE, so not exactly comparable to the EX_L we drove the other day, but a nice refresher on the Sienna.

Anyway, it was nice. The 2 remind me of each other much more than the '04 Ody did. Both had nice seats, similar dash, etc. Hard to really say one was better, and Ilike most people) would probably be perfectly happy with either one.

So, I think it will be the combo of price and "hot button" features that will make the decision for many people, although there may be just enough difference in the driving experience (for the 5% of the population of minivan drivers that care) to count. I prefer a firmer ride and tighter steering over a floaty ride, so am predisposed toward the Honda, but in the real world, they are probably comparable.

The Sienna does have a much bigger moonroof though. I really don't understand why Honda made theirs so darned small.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yeah, but the NAV, single CD player, 7" RES ?
    I won't argue with anything else, but I just cannot look beyond the NAV.
    If Toyota can copy Honda's NAV, CD changer, RES, instrument panel, and chrome grille, I would have absolutely no complaints.
    I love the way the Sienna drives---like my Lexus--soft/cushy/quiet.
    I'm not at all into racing or towing, so the HP/torque thing doesn't affect me.
    But for crying out loud Toyota: THE NAV!!!
    "don't understand why Honda made theirs so darned small"

We don't understand why both Honda & Toyota do the things they do.

I guess life would just be too simple if somebody made us the "perfect" minivan for the "perfect" price, which is below $40K.
    I would probably be happy with an Ody Lx if they added the moonroof to it. From what I remember seeing, it has everything else I really need. If not, and EX cloth w/roof would be fine if the kept the price around 28K.

I don't need navi or a RES, and most of the other high-end stuff isn't worth my money (although, as always, YMMV). But I do require alloy wheels, since I hat hubcaps.

At the end of the day, we spend so much time in the van, it will be nice to have a luxo feel to it for a change. Also, I agree the honda nav's kick butt, but its a good think I know where i'm going most of the time :). Getting AWD for the same price as a touring is a no brainer (I think?).

Ace
  • lstufleblstufleb Member Posts: 18
    Is this for all Honda Ody's? I have an older '97 ody, but am considering the new '05.
  • lstufleblstufleb Member Posts: 18
    Do you really think that the prices will be negotiable off the new ody? The dealer I'm going to visit has '04's and '05's, but I don't know if I could give up all that the new ody has to offer just to get a great deal on an '04. I am disappointed that the '05 does not have an automatic tail gate on the EXL/RES. What were they thinking? Now I have to go up to a touring, plus to get the RES I have to get a NAV. That's $38,810. Now I'm thinking of waiting to purchase again.
  • doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    I am with you on all these stuff, except the chrome thing.
  • eiffiex3eiffiex3 Member Posts: 3
    I drove both the Ody and the Sienna this week.....about a toss-up in my opinion. I live down a drive way 1000 feet off the road in Michigan. That translates into lots of snow a few times a winter. My dear hubby does a good job of keeping it plowed, but he just can't always keep up with it or get it done before I need to get in or out. I've never had a van before. Will I get along ok without the AWD or should I not even consider attempting it without? We have always owned vehicles with 4-wheel drive up until now. Thanks for your advice.
    I would say you are a PRIME candidate for AWD. all the traction controls in the word don't help you slug through snow. they help you control and slow down the car but not get going/accelerate in snow.

Aceman
  • hifisoftwarehifisoftware Member Posts: 69
    I think Odyssey will come down in price soon. I can't think why Odyssey is better vs Sienna? Well NAV and RES is better, but now I am not even sure if I would want it... I know how to use maps, and I really to not like an idea that my son is going to be watching TV(or DVD) in car in addition to home. So anyway if we assume that van has no DVD what does Honda really has over Sienna? To me the new Engine is a big minus (possible 1MPG increase vs more likely to break and definitely higher cost...?). 8th seat is only useful if you do not use car seats (I have to). Easier to fold third seat (well Sienna is easy enough). I do want to find some reasons why Odyssey is better, but I can't. Somehow I am excited about Odyssey, but maybe because it's just new? Power is similar enough. It's not racing and few HP here and there makes no difference. I probably would not push to the limit ether van, speed and handling vise. Odyssey has seat memory and I like that, but it’s only in overpriced Touring (that has a ton of stuff that I do not need).

I do find some things that are better in Sienna. I like that 3rd row window can be opened just a bit. This allows for the airflow to enter in front and exit in the rear. I do not understand how air flow is supposed to work in Odyssey. Apparently Sienna is a bit longer inside.

Worst of all, Odyssey Touring seems to be less then EX. Touring does not have an 8th seat. I do not like this seat all that much, but why take it away (and 20$ console is not a replacement). It uses new tires which will be hard to change. Right now I can go to Costco and change tires, with new tires I would probably have set up an appointment with Honda and loose that car for a day, plus pay more for both labor and tires.

IMHO Odyssey is not a bad car of course. It’s just not much better to justify higher then Sienna price. Not sure if MSRP is a good price.
  • dukefan1dukefan1 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide between the 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES which is priced at $32, 410 versus an 04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited w/ pkg #2 priced at approx $33k versus an 05 XLE w/ pkg #6 priced at approx $32k (both Siennas do not have RES in our pkgs because IMO the Sienna RES is not worth it).

I really really like the interior & exterior looks & features of the Sienna as well as the feel of the ride (soft & quiet) over the Odyssey. I don't like the fact that I can get a cool 9-inch screen front-loading DVD with the Odyssey for the same price as the non-DVD Siennas. I am torn.

We would get a portable DVD player if we got the Sienna. I just don't know if buying the Sienna is worth it for the looks and feel of the drive over the Odyssey which includes the DVD and also has a good interior and drive. (we have 2 small toddlers who are greatly entertained with the DVD on long 500+ mile trips- we only use it for an hour or two of the drive, though and we will make the rule that it only works on long trips- we don't want them watching it all the time)

Any advice is welcome.
  • ggsggs Member Posts: 30
    It sounds like you are leaning more towards the Sienna. Honestly, both vans are good choices, but you did mention that you like the ride and comfort of the Sienna more than once, so apparently you've already decided that that's more important to you than something extraneous like a DVD player. As you said, you could pick up an aftermarket system later (and probably better and cheaper than factory to boot).

As for pricing, there is probably a bit more flexibility with the Sienna as it has been out for a while and there is more information about invoice and such. As mentioned in this and other threads, you may be able to pick up a Sienna for close to invoice, whereas there appears to be less flexibility with the '05 Ody since it was only released this week.
  • sjhsjh Member Posts: 4
    Wow! Where did you find that deal on the Odyssey?
  • lghong67lghong67 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know if Honda is planning to put out an AWD version in the near future?

Thanks, LH
  • stingyjackstingyjack Member Posts: 1
    Drove Ody today. Plastic steering wheel simply sucks. But the most important - check 3-rd row, just get there and seat. NO IMPROVEMENT !!! Even my wife, who is 5-3 felt very uncomforable. Otherwise the car is great.
  • gatorhawkgatorhawk Member Posts: 23
    andrew,

since you are so in to toys on cars, you definitely need the sienna. laser cruise and xenon. you can't even get xenon (or laser cruise) on the acura mdx. everybody has nav. only a select few have laser cruise--the ultimate toy.

gator

also, why no awd or gated shifter on ody? 3rd row shades and 3rd row windows that open? sienna limited awd still tops as i see it.

in all seriousness, the new ody looks very nice and will obviously be a great van.
    wish honda had put curtain airbags and a dash mounted shifter on the pilot. if they had, i'd have already ordered one. i guess i'll have to wait until next year.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    33k for a Sienna without RES, ouch! Are you sure you want to buy an aftermarket bag system. It would be hard for me to justify a loaded up van with leather, etc and no RES. Just my 2 cents.
  • jsmath5jsmath5 Member Posts: 77
    There are no fire issues with Odysseys, it was inherent to the CRV only due to Oil Filter gaskets.
    Sounds like lots of people out there are worried that they bought the right van. Depends on what you're looking for. Odyssey has the safety, resale value, and performance. Sienna has ride, and interior???. Which one fits your pocketbook, $2000 more for no DVD Player is really no bargain.
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    Just last night the wife and I drove the 2005 Odyssey for the first time. I'm sad to say we were not impressed. The ride was a slight improvement from the 2004 model, but it still exhibited a similar clunky and stiff ride as the 2004. Another thing is, under full throttle it has some very bad torque bump steering. The sales person urged my wife to "punch it" to feel the power of the vehicle. She did so at about 10 MPH after exiting a turn. Well, we almost ended up in the ditch. The van pulls very hard toward the right. All that extra power is great, but is worthless unless the vehicle is properly designed to handle it. There were several other things we did not like too. The Sienna ride is pure luxury compared to the Odyssey. New Odyssey is not in the same class as the Sienna when it comes to ride quality. Needless to say, we will be buying the Toyota.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    "Sounds like lots of people out there are worried that they bought the right van."

Sounds like many people aren't finding the 05 Odyssey to be the Sienna-trouncing wondervan you have been promising.

The 05 Odyssey doesn't have any safety features that aren't available on Siennas.
    Congrats and enjoy your new Sienna, don't forget the premium gas and just think, I picked between the 2 best vans on the market.
    don't believe the hype on premium fuel. we've never put premium fuel in our limited sienna and i've never heard engine knocking. our mileage is about 20.5-21 with about 80% city driving. haven't calculated highway on a long trip yet. i calculate myself--i don't rely on the computer.

toyota manual specifically says that premium fuel is NOT required. it says you may get performance benefit with premium.

gator
  • poductadvisorpoductadvisor Member Posts: 2
    First take a look at the middle row of the Honda, notice that you can not get in the back seat easy like the Toyota which folds down and goes forward. But the seat on the passenger side of the Honda moves over one spot as the Toyota does aswell, but the Honda has the seatbelt in the frame of the van if the seat is over one spot and you get into a colision that person is flying sideways out of the seat. Not in a toyota, the seatbelt is in the seat, which moves with the passenger.

The noise of the Honda engine compared to a Toyota is alot more noisier and a rougher drive, the Honda feels like a cargo van with the lazy daisey hidaway storage is a neat idea, but it creates more road noise as there is no insulation to prevent it.

A TV show I watched showed a Honda and a Toyota side by side, to prove who was better and the toyota had more speed (Honda more get up and go) Toyota better gas milage. Toyota quieter, Toyota Nicer, and the honda does not have a good heating system with the vents in the rear of the vehicle for heating that is so stupid. Honda wants to consume more gas and energy to cool the van with very little venting. hah hah.

So with that I will buy a toyota any day!!
    The 05 Odyssey has the following vs the Sienna:

Ody has STANDARD side and 3 row side curtain airbags on every model, Sienna does not(only more expensive models).

OPDS, Occupant Position Detection System not available on Sienna.

For Sienna (VSC) is optional, except on the most expensive model.

Odyssey has a shorter braking distance. 30-0 ft - 36.0 ft Sienna/33.9 ft Odyssey.

60-0 ft - 142.8 ft Sienna/136.5 ft Ody.

In independent tests conducted by Consumer Automotive Research Inc. (CAR).

Sienna's navigation screen is 6 inches vs. 8
    inches for the Ody.

Sienna's DVD screen is 7 inches vs. Ody's 9 inches.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    See how rumors get started?

Why in the world would you bring an isolated CRV issue over here in the first place?

I'm glad you clarified things.
    I never spoke of it, I was asked about it by a Honda disliker, had to clear my Honda's name.
  • toyotatohondatoyotatohonda Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone compared all the items on a Honda Touring with a DVD & RES which has a MSRP of $38,810 to a Toyota Sienna XLE Limited to know what the MSRP on a Toyota would be?
    A lot of money either way you look at it. $40k is a lot on a van.
  • drmaxdrmax Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I'm in a simular boat. I'm sure we don't get near the snow you do, living here in Indianapolis.
    My concerns with my situation, is that the person that'll be driving this '05 sienna, has been use to and awd/4wd s10 blazer. I want her to feel safe, however, I don't know how well this AWD system really works? Like, if I were stuck in the snow, will it smartfully determine what wheels to engage? Also, a huge factor...how well has this system held up mechanically? The guy from the toyota hotline said this is a new and improved system on the '04/'05. Well, what were the problems from the previous years systems?
    I sure hope someone hits back on this. Thx
    where is the braking distance published? which sienna did they test? did sienna have 4 wheel discs?
    last year, car and driver showed a 15 ft stopping advantage for the sienna over the ody.
    i doubt either c&d or consumer's report has had a chance to test the ody yet.
  • chacha Member Posts: 16
    AWD is much better tha FWD in Rain or Snow. FWD is much better than RWD in Rain and snow.

For me I am shocked Honda did not include this as an option, especially since they are the so called "Safety Company". Can anyone explain how they make that claim and forget important features like AWD for the Odyssey and side curtain airbags on the Honda Pilot?

AWD on the Sienna is automatic, it detects slippage and adjusts automatically.

I for one went from RWD to FWD to AWD.

All my vehicles will soon have AWD and side Air Curtains. All you need is one time,fFor a bad storm, rain or snow, to realize how important these features are!!
  • aab4aab4 Member Posts: 39
    Good post- AWD on the Sienna is from the Lexus RX, as well as the engine and transmission.

Sienna uses the all-wheel-drive system of the RX 330 and is fully automatic. There is no driver involvement necessary. Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) automatically routes power to either the front or the rear wheels as necessary to help give a smooth ride and optimum traction

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) senses lateral slip in turns and helps keep the vehicle on course, while Traction Control (TRAC) helps effectively deploy power during slippery conditions.

So yes AWD is an important feature, which should of been an option on the new Odyssey.
  • amykkbcamykkbc Member Posts: 57
    The touring w/ Nav. shall really be compared to XLE w/ HU package which has more more usable stuff than the touring. Don't simply judge something by the little chrome piece on the rear gate. go compare yourself shall you really want value, don't just read what people said.

And don't forget that all Siennas are selling close to invoice, and the odys at MSRP.

P.S. when I said usable, I mean you can get/own it, otherwise, you don't have it. Not just 1" larger that you can read it at 1' further.
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    Ody has STANDARD side and 3 row side curtain airbags on every model, Sienna does not(only more expensive models).

Available on several models that are price similar to the Odyssey. The good thing about the Ody is that it is on all models and not a package that can be difficult to get.

OPDS, Occupant Position Detection System not available on Sienna.

Actually it is on all 05 Siennas.

For Sienna (VSC) is optional, except on the most expensive model.
    VSC comes on all models that also have side curtain airbags.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    If you buy the Touring with NAVI/RES at MSRP, which is what's going for right now, you will pay $2,500 than the going price for the XLE Limited with HO options pack and autodimming mirror.
    I just bought a 05 XLE LTD AWD w/ Navi for 39K.
    There's no comparison to the touring w/ Nav at that trim level both being at teh same price. Sienna wins that comparison hands down IMO.

Aceman
  • acguyacguy Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for some advice please, I just got a new job and I live in Georgia however I'll be traveling all over the southeast. I must have a van in my work they really don't care what kind, I have owned Honda Accord's and Civics, A Toyota Corolla and a 4Runner as well as a Ford Aerostar.

Could someone give me some advice as to whether the 2004 or the 2005 is the better way to go? I have given some consideration to the Toyota if anyone has some feedback there as well. It is my understanding that Leather seats will last longer than the cloth so I guess that would be a good idea. I will be carrying some equipment on the road as well as my luggage. I will also have some customers riding with me as well.

I am looking for a Van that will be as safe as possible, will get great Gas Mileage, Preferably will have Navigation built in, I have no use for DVD as both my kids are in college, I will use this for a family van when I'm at home with my wife and one of my son's in college. I plan on keeping this van for the long term.

Thank you all in advance for all of your advice and assistance.
    I think the 2 vans are real close dynamically. As with any other set of cars, people will have their own opinions, which is normal (otherwise we wouldn't have so many choices!).

We were able to drive an EX-L, and sit in a '05 SIenna (LE package 1, so not a direct model comparison). although one was much more loaded, you still got a good feel for how they "fit", just too bad we couldn't drive the Sienna.

Anyway, my wife liked them both just fine. She is now pumping me for a comparison of features/price. I think each buyers must have list is going to drive the decision more than anything else, when combined with price.

In our case, wifee wants the leather and would liek to have a moonroof again (we have one now). So, that puts us into an XLE with options, which meant IIRC about 34-35K MSRP, probably 33K street price if we are lucky (very tight supply in NJ).

So, she likes the Honda fine, and pretty much picked that when she found out the price for an EX-L was 2-4K less than the Toyota. And since we actually prefer not to have the power tailgate, I don't think the Toyota offers any feature of interest to us over the EX-L.

To me, I prefer a sporty driving feel, so I have always leaned to Hondas as opposed to softer riding, more isoloated/cushy TOyotas, so I wanted the Ody anyway.

• hackorsackhackorsack Member Posts: 3
    I am struggling....

My wife definately wants a sun roof in her minivan, but in order to get one, you must get leather. We typically try to keep our cars about 10 years and I question how leather will hold up that long. I've seen leather, crack, split, etc.... We also have a black lab that comes with us in the car at times. I'm not sure if she could scratch the seats, etc. I could always put down a blanket for her.

Let me know your thoughts??
    Buy leather and get rid of the dog ;-). Seriously though, leather in cars has come a LONG way since the days of cracking and splitting. You will not see it on Honda or Toyota. It will hold up WAY WAY better than cloth, IF you don't have pets. Dogs change the equation and you WILL get scratches on leather.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Nothing will distroy the value of a car worse than a big dog. The dog odor will never go away and they will scratch the seats and door panels.

I see this all of the time...sorry.
    I'm not sure if you're trying to argue with the point I was making, but you're saying exactly the same thing! The Ody is currently $2,000-3,000 more expensive than similarly equiped Siennas. That's because one can easily buy Sienna at 2-3% over invoice, while Ody sells at MSRP.

I'm positive we will see $1,000 discounts on Ody within a month, once all the people who don't give a rat's [non-permissible content removed] about money buy the Ody's at MSRP or at markup above it.