Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    It's a 64, which also happens to be final year MB used wide whites on mass market models. There are effectively no sheetmetal differences in fintails through the production run - a fender or door off a car built in 1959 will fit one built in 1967. The differences are primarily mechanical, with a few trim pieces most likely only noticed by an enthusiast.
    tjc78 said:

@fintail I’m sure you have told us, but what year is it?

• Options
    Another time machine newspaper snippet - recently went back to roughly this day in 1983 - no vehicle images, but some fun stuff to read (should zoom). This also shows the "Dish Man" character that I didn't just see in a fever dream.

What's most interesting here? Subaru "coupe" could be a real unicorn if one of the hardtops (even the 2 door sedan style is a hen's tooth), pink Caddy could be fun, Olds 98 diesel was probably rare even then:

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, that would mean that it came out about 2 weeks before my first date with the woman who would become my wife. The date went well. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I wonder how abused that poor '71 Monaco must have been to be advertised at $395.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Freshened up the peanut butter in the traps before we left for about a week.
    Was rewarded with another mouse caught in a trap.
    No evidence of one up in the cowl area where I removed a nest a few weeks ago.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286

Freshened up the peanut butter in the traps before we left for about a week.
    Was rewarded with another mouse caught in a trap.
    No evidence of one up in the cowl area where I removed a nest a few weeks ago.

Just saw in another thread that dryer sheets can be effective to keep them away. Guy had them stuffed in the tailpipes and around the engine bay
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,553
    I had no idea that the Pacer still had 3 on the tree. That would have to be changed!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    stickguy said:

I had no idea that the Pacer still had 3 on the tree. That would have to be changed!

But stick; it has o/d. Isn’t that as good as, like, a 5-speed? I mean, you gotta think outside the box, right?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    A Pontiac Lemans wagon. Probably uncommon when new.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Only car I ever drove w a 3 on the tree was a 55 Belair. Total deal breaker. The throws on that thing were so long I have to sit forward in the seat and put my shoulder into it
  • Options

A Pontiac Lemans wagon. Probably uncommon when new.

Price as a restoration candidate is steep but could maybe work as a rat rod. At the least, a lot of good parts are there. It would be interesting to see what pieces are exclusive to the wagon or borrowed from an el camino
  • Options
    What's happening on Long Island - searching 1960-90

Chevelle SS Clone This looks decent given the current market for Chevelle's but whoever installed those fender badges should be fired. Presents as a decent car but you see sloppiness like that and the turn signal grilles and have to be concerned

This eldo could be good if it really is just a head gasket and you are willing to deal with the guy

Nice Lesabre w dear price Can get work as a movie car but still too much

He's saying this is a factory package?

Mercedes 280S Looks very nice. Not sure about the price

Drag Nova What a time warp

280ZX Stick is a big plus, but expect seller is ahead of the market

• Options
    That Eldo looks like it has a bigger leak than just a head gasket. Just kidding, of course.
  • Options
    I like that ZX, though up close pictures indicated it might need a lot more work than expected. But a cool car.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    I like the guy with the blown head gasket Eldorado. “I don’t want to answer any question, come pick it up”

What a salesman. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    280S was the basic S-class (carbureted), which doesn't help value. I assume it is really 112K and has been taken care of. Price is a few grand high, but if it is really good and has no needs, not insanely far off.
  • Options
    The 68 Fairlane my dad had in the 90s was a 3 on the tree (289). He loved it. I found it to be a real chore, especially as the car also had manual steering and manual brakes.

Back in the day he also had maybe an 85 F150, I know it was the big I6, I swear it was a column shift manual too.
    gsemike said:

stickguy said:

Only car I ever drove w a 3 on the tree was a 55 Belair. Total deal breaker. The throws on that thing were so long I have to sit forward in the seat and put my shoulder into it
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    The three on the tree on my 62 Galaxie had a precise feel to it. The only challenge could be downshifting back to first gear if the car wasn't fully stopped as it had a non-syncro first gear. I did learn to double clutch when necessary.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    stickguy said:

I like that ZX, though up close pictures indicated it might need a lot more work than expected. But a cool car.

I'm thinking it probably is a 10 footer but in these parts, they mostly all rusted away decades ago
  • Options

I like the guy with the blown head gasket Eldorado. “I don’t want to answer any question, come pick it up”

What a salesman. :s

That's why I level set, if you want to deal with him

Hey, can I have your address? No way!!!!
  • Options
    fintail said:

The 68 Fairlane my dad had in the 90s was a 3 on the tree (289). He loved it. I found it to be a real chore, especially as the car also had manual steering and manual brakes.

Back in the day he also had maybe an 85 F150, I know it was the big I6, I swear it was a column shift manual too.

gsemike said:

stickguy said:

I think that was a 300 ci straight six
  • Options
    sda said:

The three on the tree on my 62 Galaxie had a precise feel to it. The only challenge could be downshifting back to first gear if the car wasn't fully stopped as it had a non-syncro first gear. I did learn to double clutch when necessary.

I could neither forgive nor understand why Ford in that era left the column shift rod exposed on those cars so equipped rather than putting the mechanism inside a shift bowl cover like other makes had done.

• Options
    ab348 said:

sda said:

I could neither forgive nor understand why Ford in that era left the column shift rod exposed on those cars so equipped rather than putting the mechanism inside a shift bowl cover like other makes had done.
    You're right, it had a cheap unfinished look to it. The interior of the Galaxie (base) was nothing special.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2022
    Having my indy shop put on 034's specialty fixed camber kit plates to add an additional -1.4% camber on the front wheels/tires. Should make my TTS just THAT much faster in the twisties without wearing out the outside shoulder of sticky tires. Can't wait to test them out, because being super fast isn't fast enough. Will be realigned of course, along with fresh motor oil.

They raised their hourly rate, because like everyone else, inflation. Should have had the work done before April.

0304 has an excellent engineering reputation in the after-market go-fast world of VW/Audi.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Having my indy shop put on 034's specialty fixed camber kit plates to add an additional -1.4% camber on the front wheels/tires. Should make my TTS just THAT much faster in the twisties without wearing out the outside shoulder of sticky tires.

Why do you think the added camber will not wear out the tire shoulders? Especially if they are soft, sticky tires, I dunno how you could avoid that.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2022
    ab348 said:

andres3 said:

Having my indy shop put on 034's specialty fixed camber kit plates to add an additional -1.4% camber on the front wheels/tires. Should make my TTS just THAT much faster in the twisties without wearing out the outside shoulder of sticky tires.

Why do you think the added camber will not wear out the tire shoulders? Especially if they are soft, sticky tires, I dunno how you could avoid that.
    Negative camber. The tires under hard use naturally wear the outter edges more in this car with its current suspension geometry, but the added negative camber will help mitigate that.

Under normal use I should get more inner tire wear, but that's never been an issue with the way I drive this Audi. But the main point isn't wear, it's improved handling and traction.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    edited May 2022

Rare to see an all black Mark V. Those usually either have grey or red interiors.

The Savoy could turn some heads on the cheap.

Maybe I’m nuts but $12,500 doesn’t seem too crazy for the IROC.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    the red budget SL seems like a pretty good deal overall. Looks like a nice car.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947

Dang, I like that Jag quite a bit

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguy said:

the red budget SL seems like a pretty good deal overall. Looks like a nice car.

I thought the same. Cars don't rust in Idaho, do they? At least not much.

Both the Buicks are pretty good deals too I think.

• Options

This is great. We make fun of the “only needs…” ads, but this one tops them all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

Good news. The starter should be easy to get to, with no front end.

• Options
    I saw a video of the starter in a Sequoia being changed. It was under the intake manifold.
  • Options
    Car wizard did that in a Lexus version. Weird place. At least they seem to last a long time.

• Options

I saw a video of the starter in a Sequoia being changed. It was under the intake manifold.

Toyota taking lessons from the Cadillac Northstar.

• Options
    Just imagine the life this has led in the hands of an owner who can't afford even just an oil change.

• Options
    Soon to need a new engine.

• Options
    My buddy with the 3 '71 Cutlasses and '87 Grand National who moved up-country has gone largely into radio silence with me and others here in town who used to be regular recipients of his communications. His '71 Cutlass SX convertible has been ensconced at a restoration shop for most of the last year and must be racking up bills approaching 6 digits by now. Meanwhile, after having a rather lavish 5-car garage/shop built shortly after moving up there, he added a large paved parking pad out back and at last communication was talking about building another garage-type structure. Not sure what the current status of that is. But yesterday we stumbled across a FB post showing his latest move.

He had been making noises about '60s Chevys for a while now which none of us could quite understand, but to each his own. This one is a 283/Powerglide, drum brakes of course, and the usual early '60s steering and handling. His post says it does have power windows and seat which is always important to him. I don't understand it, but it's his money (he seems to have lots now) and I guess this makes him happy.

• Options
    I like the color of that Chevy and appears to be in nice shape and stock which I very much prefer.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    edited May 2022

That silver Vic is so clean and the mileage is believable.

The Mark colors are just awful.

I really like the 96 Olds. It’s like a grown up Grand Prix GTP with the 3.4. IMO Olds had the best interiors of the GM clones. They even had their own double din stereos and HVAC controls.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    fintail said:
    This would be a solid buy, I think. I suspect the owner is spot on in his analysis of the steering issue (bad hose/s).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    xwesx said:

fintail said:
    This would be a solid buy, I think. I suspect the owner is spot on in his analysis of the steering issue (bad hose/s).
    Makes you wonder why he didn’t replace them himself after being willing to do all the other work.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Gotta know when to fold ‘em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

• Options

xwesx said:

fintail said:
    Makes you wonder why he didn’t replace them himself after being willing to do all the other work.
    As someone who has replaced such hoses, I don't wonder that at all. It is quite a pain in the butt, and "stiff steering" is something most people can live with, at least for a time.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I just wonder if it's actually hoses, or a bad pump.
    The high pressure hose on my ES300 was such a bear to replace I had the dealer do it. Not like old Detroit iron.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well, that's the thing. You kinda wonder how it can be the hoses when they don't leak and they look fine from the outside. However, power steering fluid is fairly caustic on the hosing, and they can start flaking apart on the inside and basically clog up the ports on the ends of the hoses.

I was talking with a guy about my old plow truck, telling him how I needed to replace or rebuild the rack because it didn't work even when everything indicated it should, and he said, "it's your hoses." I expressed doubt. He reiterated, "Don't even waste any more time on it! Replace your hoses. Trust me, you'll thank me later." Now, for this old beast, the hoses weren't cheap or easy to obtain, but I went ahead and did it, and, if I ever see him again, I'll surely thank him!

After I collected all four hoses, I spent a few hours installing them (much easier on my plow truck than something like this Quest, but still a PITA) and, what do you know? The power steering worked perfectly (and has every since - no leaks, nothing. Just works).