Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Buying for Women

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    Here you go mom, it's called a 350Z. Isn't it cute? What? It looks scary? Well mom I guess I could take it home and park it in my driveway. Anything to make you happy...

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Oh, what a good plan! Oldfarmer has just become my hero!

There's a flaw in the plan for me since mom isn't around any more, but if she were she;d take one look at that 350Z and say, "it better have a stick in it!"
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Seems that all you "men" have so dominated this discussion that all the females have left. Way to go guys! This is why girls hate math. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Hello? Sure is quiet in here....

Not to ruin your perfect post, oldfarmer, but my mom had a masters in math......

Back to our regularly scheduked quiet.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but my mom had a masters in math...

I was biting my tongue after oldfarmer's message but since you commented I thought I'd just add that I can find no discernible differences in math ability between women and men in the math classes I teach. Of course, we do know he was kidding. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ...I can find no discernible differences in math ability between women and men in the math classes I teach.

They actually teach that stuff to men, I thought it was intuitive. :)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

I never said women don't have ABILITY in math but that when men dominate the classroom discussion women tend to not enjoy the class. :(

My point? I'd like to hear more about women's experiences in car buying. That is, after all, the name of the forum.

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I have read the same study you are refering too. Many times in math or techinical type classes men will dominate the discussion and even though women know the answers they won't give them.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Teacher, teacher! I know, I know! The answer is: We're off topic :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well then post something on topic then duhhhh ;)
    "Teacher, teacher! I know, I know! The answer is: We're off topic."

Ya think? :P
  • msellscarsmsellscars Member Posts: 2
    AS a woman in the car sales industry, I know how difficult it can be for the average woman to purchase a car and feel like she is making the best choice possible. I am trying to organize a car buying clinic and would like advice on what info would be helpful to present. I was thinking I would make this a womens only event with a woman loan officer, sales person etc.

So my questions are these:

(a) do the women here think this would be a worthwhile event?

and

(B) What info would other women like to lean about in such an event (all suggestions would be appreciated!)
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    as a former salesperson (and also female!) i would recommend some of the following:

1) go over the basics of what all the numbers are/mean and where they come from
    2) how women can deal with a crabby/sexist/condescending salesperson if encountered
    3) the process from beginning to end of a typical car deal
    4) for used cars, what to look for/ask
    5) how to make an offer/negotiate in a non-confrontational manner

just some things off the top of my head that might be worthwhile...you may or may not agree, but at least its a start!

by the way, its a great idea that you are looking to do something like this. it will bring a lot of women out i am sure, and probably provide you with a nice customer base as well (these women now trust you, since you have taken the time to talk to them about these issues)

good luck!

-thene :)
  • msellscarsmsellscars Member Posts: 2
    I am so excited to get going on this project. All of the ideas you gave me are wonderful.

Thanks!!

~M~
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    How about a section on why shopping for transportation is different from any other type of shopping? Probe into the psychological aspects of shopping; perhaps go into why, as the people who control the family budget, women feel so competent while shopping for groceries or even furniture, yet are completely helpless at the car dealership.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How about discussing that right here? I think it's a great idea! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Well, because then one would naturally have to discuss why one hates car salesmen, hates buying cars, and that, apparently, isn't very productive!
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Dang iris leave it alone, it is not to be considered a social failure if the host does not start a topic you suggest.

As far as women buying cars, I see women in control in my office now days as much as I see men. You would be amazed by the number of men (me being one of them) that do not have a clue as to what the bill schedule is in there home. I have allot of men look at me and say "I don't know she pays the bills" or asking there wife "can we afford it honey". Especially true with stay at home moms. They really run the household nowadays in allot of families
    It's OK, Mr. Salesman - I'm pretty much done here!
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    It's OK, Mr. Salesman - I'm pretty much done here!

Sounds like you hate car shopping. Also sounds like you think women can only shop for groceries. I would have to disagree.

I always think it is funny when husbands don't know what they are paying for their current vehicles.
    Customer " Oh, I don't know what it is my wife pays all the bills"

Me " I know you don't know, but if you did know, what would it be?"

Customer " Oh it would be about $350"

From my experiences nobody like shopping for a car( except some of the people who post on these forums ;) ) But it is a proven fact that women make 90% of the house hold decisions :cry:
    women feel so competent while shopping for groceries or even furniture, yet are completely helpless at the car dealership.

I don't agree with that at all and I think you are selling women short.

I bet about half my sales are to women and they all know what they are doing. I have this one customer of mine very sharp business women in her mid 50s but she looks like she is 35. She buys one car a year usually for her self or her staff and always has her stuff together. She knows which cars she can get a deal on and which ones are going for sticker or near sticker. She writes me a personal check for the full amount each time and she gets excellent service.

Obviously she is a little outside the norm since she is writing checks for 50,000 to 70,000 dollar cars but I have plenty of other women customers who work their deals the same way. They might not be paying cash or they might not be buying a 50,000 dollar plus car but they have no problem getting what they want for a fair price.
    "...she is a little outside the norm since she is writing checks for 50,000 to 70,000 cars..."

Why is that unusual? I could write you a check for that amount...it would bounce but I could write it. :blush:

Here's a question I'll pose to the women on this board. When I discuss cars with my wife she is only interested in the color. To a minor degree she will notice the style but she has no interest in the technical details at all. Do the majority of women feel the same way?

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You've got to be kidding, right? I don't know any women who are only interested in the color of a car. Don't women make the majority of car buying decisions? And they are all out there looking at only car colors? I don't think so.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    "...Don't women make the majority of car buying decisions?..."

Or is that just what the guys tell the salespeople so they don't have to make a commitment to buy? ;) (" I have to run this past my wife before I sign")

Seriously, I would love to have my wife more involved but she just tells me "don't get a red one".

Well, I thin it depends. If I had to guess I would think that there are a fair number about there whose only concern is the color or that particular options are there (it had better have an mp3 jack or whatever). I don't suspect for a minute that all those buyers or cobuyers are women.

Anecdotal story - I've got a friend who is so busy into what he does that a car is simply an appliance and he spends less time getting one than he does picking out a refrigerator.

Looking back my mom had definite ideas of what she liked in a car and was constantly fighting off dad whose ideas were completely different but wanted mom to pick out the color.... Dad like luxury. Mom like utility. Mom never did take to an automatic transmission. Thought that anything was easier than what she learned on. Her only "options" (they were options at the time) were a radio and a heater.

My wife had ideas of what she likes beyond appearance. She's always in on the decision if she'll be the principal driver. She picked out a dog of a vehicle here and there but I don't have a perfect record either.
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    Or is that just what the guys tell the salespeople so they don't have to make a commitment to buy? (" I have to run this past my wife before I sign")

Old farmer that is just a stall. Which ussualy means you haven't hit the right number or they are on the wrong car.

When you ask the question what will your wife say no to, the car or the money youi will ussaully get the answer and over come that stall.
    When you ask the question what will your wife say no to, the car or the money you will usually get the answer and over come that stall.

I was working a guy one time and he pulled the wife card on me and I replied with that. He said oh I don't know I just need to be sure. So I offered to him to do all the paper work and take it to his wife to show her, if she does not like it no big deal her part won't be signed yet so he had not bought anything.

He said OK. So I picked up the phone acted like I dialed a number and sat there. He asked what are you doing, I told him I was calling my wife to see if it is OK to sell him a car. :D
    Me and this guy had been cutting up all day so I was sure he would get a laugh out of it.

That is one of those old jokes that I am sure circulates through every dealership in the country.
    I've had a couple of sales people try to do the end run around my wife. They lost my business and I will not go back. It's insulting to me to have a salesman essentially say his commission is worth more than my marriage and by trying to "trump the wife card" that is what they have done.
  • lizhobartlizhobart Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this article! It was so stressful going into my first car purchase and this set me at ease! I also loved the other forum topics on the site!
    I am not surprised that you love it, given that you work for that site and are (rather blatantly) trying to promote it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I must have missed that one.....
  • rdxnmdxrdxnmdx Member Posts: 12
    First of all as a women in her early 40's, I can write the check for 50-70K and it won't bounce. How insulting to think that women can't afford to pay cash for their cars.

Secondly, I know much more about the technical information regarding cars than my husband does. When the conversation turns to cars, I know the stats. I still care about the color and style, but so do the men I know.

There are certain men and women who only care about how things look. These individuals also might judge a book by its cover.
    "...How insulting to think that women can't afford to pay cash for their cars..."

Did I say that? No, I don't think so. I said, "I" couldn't afford to pay 50-70K cash for a car.

In the women and color question I was asking if other women were like my wife who only seems interested in color. I would love it if she were more interested in the technical side of things as she is a very smart person and I value her opinion. I was hoping for some insight but it seems I have only stirred up indignation.

Perhaps if you came down off that high horse you would have a better perspective. ;)

• catlovercatlover Member Posts: 3
    Hi!

For me in terms of car-shopping, I concentrate on details only when I'm getting serious about comparing vehicles, considering an actual purchase. I'm a very geek woman -- actually more interested in newer tech than is my spouse. But if we're just casually talking car, then I might just be interested to the extent of color or design details.

I am no car fanatic. I am definitely a "buy and hold" kind of gal -- in investing as well as in my car buying history. I've never had a bad experience buying a car. No, REALLY. I haven't. But then again, I am a trained mediator, and so maybe that, or maybe the traits that drew me to that training, make me less liable to find negotiation upsetting.

I think car shopping is a great deal like shopping for a new fridge, or for groceries, or for a good deal on a pair of shoes. I just don't see the difference among them. Now, I'll definitely say that I've had a rather hard-sell experience, once. I expressed an interest in a car whose dealership was way across town from my home and office, and when I decided that it was a casual interest, I kept having to turn down offers to test-drive, to deliver the car to me to use overnight, and so on. I was both flattered, and a little bothered, at the extent to which the salesperson was willing to go to get me to buy that car. Oh, and I remember going in to a Toyota dealership with my 70-something Mom, wanting to look at a Solara. The (very new to car sales) salesman misread us badly, he would not show me any Solaras at all. I'm not a Toyota driver, so maybe I wouldn't have bought from him anyway, but I DEFINITELY was turned off about buying a Camry or Avalon, by the sense that the salesperson felt he knew what I needed/wanted better than I could. However, I just think that these are examples of a person mis-reading another person. I don't think that any of these salespeople is a bad person, and in fact, when I consider the cues (elderly older lady along for the visit), it's not unreasonable at all for someone to think, "need a moderate, middle-of-the-road ride."
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    It's been awhile since I have read this thread and didn't realize someone wanted service answers.

Here's mine-

I took my car for an oil change at the dealership. I decided on doing every 3 months not 5k cause I drive too much. And I would have to change the oil every month if I did so. They saw the mileage and saw the maintenance light turned off. So they tried selling me 30k maintenance check up; I declined cause it's 480.00 and I have my car payment to worry about at the time.

All of sudden; they were treating with very rude and became unhelpful. They had the tech come to me and complain to me "You need to take better care of your car. Your tires are bald in the front cause you didn't rotate your tires so you need new tires. If you don't keep up with your maintenance your engine will clog up and cost you 14,000 to fix. And if you don't keep up with 5k oil changes you will void your warranty" Then they also stated my clutch will get damage also. Estimate for tires was 1,600 without balancing (I knew I could get two sets of all seasons for that amount. So I'm not the typical female car buyer..I do my research. Tirerack.com can sell me better quality for less than that and including new wheels.)

When I had my old xA; I never did the 5k oil changes and only did one maintenance check up. They never told me my warranty was going to get voided.

And I know another Toyota dealership who has their own online site who will sell brand new Scion tC engines...they sell them for $10k. I know people who would love to install me brand new engine. In fact one of them; his brother is Toyota tech. I would still pay them but I wouldn't have to spend the extra $4k like Carmax.

Now I know where Carmax does their "haggling" at; in the service department. lol I have not been back ever since this. I found a different Milwaukee area Toyota dealership who will do the same 30k check up for only $180.00 not including transmission fluid flushing; because they make it optional and it's extra 90.00 bucks. I actually been thinking about taking the car there now.
    "...I decided on doing every 3 months not 5K cause I drive too much. And I would have to change the oil every month if I did so..."

So are you saying you only change oil every 15K miles? I hope you are using synthetic oil. :surprise:

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "They never told me my warranty was going to get voided."

It's probably in your owner's manual. No car maker will repair your engine under warranty if you are not following the maintenance schedule in the manual. So you could be shelling out $10k.

"Your tires are bald in the front cause you didn't rotate your tires so you need new tires"

This is a HUGE safety issue - please, please get new tires if they are "bald".

"Then they also stated my clutch will get damage also."

About the only thing you can do for the clutch is change the hydraulic fluid every 50,000 miles. The only other clutch problems are the result of driver abuse/error.

The transmission fluid change price is for automatics - manuals are cheaper and not required as often - see owner's manual.
    At the time, I was using standard oil so I was kind of pig-headed. And since the dealer always reminded me to rotate tires so I didn't rotate them like I should of because I wasn't reminded; but at the time I was planning on buying summer wheels and tires. I didn't really care for my OEM tires since they were terrible in the winter. Right now; I'm driving on 17 inch wheels and I'm planning on buying winter tires for my OEM alloy wheels in few weeks.

And I'm thinking in December, taking the car to the other dealership in Milwaukee for that 30k check up.

I'm trying out Synthetic oil tomorrow when I get my oil change. I've been good about oil changes ever since Carmax but money is huge issue with everything else. I'm not having the best year with personal finance. My warranty is done with so everything is coming out of my pocket if something goes wrong.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    How many miles? You have a 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, 3/36 on everything else.
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    Obviously, I wasn't in the room with you when the CarMax service tech and you met, so I can't say whether he was "rude" or not. However, I don't think he was being TOTALLY dishonest to you.

If your tires really were bald, then he was right to point it out to you. Let's say for instance that he didn't point it out just to be polite, and you got into an accident because of the bald tires. I would bet that most people would be back at the dealer with a lawyer or two in tow. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Besides, if you doubted his honesty, you could easily check out the tires to see if they were really bald or not. I am guessing that he was being straight with you, since he knows that bald tires are an easy thing for the consumer to verify.

Regarding voiding the warranty, he was probably right about that, too. All new cars that I have owned have require that you follow the scheduled maintenance in order to keep the warranty valid. That includes oil changes, scheduled maint, etc. Again, there was no dishonesty there.

On the flip side, it sounds like some of the prices they quoted are quite outrageous. $1600 for four tires? Unless they are bulletproof or something, I can't see paying that much for tires. Since tires are an easy thing for consumers to price shop, I have rarely seen dealers try to rip you off on a tire purchase to that extent. In my areas, for instance, most places have around the same price for tires. Maybe the $1600 was for the tires, scheduled maint, oil change, and whatever else they were suggesting.

I can't really comment on $480 for $30K maint, but dealers often add on "extras" that aren't strictly required by the owner's manual. You are better off going to your owner's manual and specifically asking for the services that are required. Also, if the other place is offering $180, I would check to make sure that they are going to do all of the services required at 30K. They might be "low balling" you by excluding some required services too. That's another reason why I don't ask for the "30K maint".

I also can't comment on the cost of the new engine. However, I will say that if you continue to change oil every 15k miles, you might end up with a big repair bill down the road. Whether it is $10K or $14K, that is still a lot of money - money that you could avoid paying with a $25 dollar oil change every now and then. Everybody has trouble making ends meet nowadays, but sometimes it is better to spend a little money now to avoid spending a lot of money later!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I can't comment on $480 for 30k maint.

I can. I'm looking at a Mazda Service Schedule for Oxmoor Mazda in Louisville. The recommended services at 30k miles comes to $529.99 WAAAAYY overpriced.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I just don't get it. My brother has Mitsubishi Lancer and he goes to the dealer for his oil changes. And he personally deals with the service writer. My brother told me some things that happened to him like service writer asks him "Since you're at 50k; you want to do the 50k maintenance?" Then my brother tells him back "No man; I'll come back for that. You know money is the issue." And the service writer doesn't put a gun to his head and tries to make him do it just like me and Carmax.

I know it's important to do it; its just they put me in that "Gun at my head and pull the trigger if you don't do it" position and I heard from different other Scion owners are stating their dealers are doing the same high pressure + crappy service; I heard so many stories like "My dealer put huge dent on the driver's side" and "Detailers scrubbed my car with rough brush and put circle scratches." Heck, some guy stated he paid $1,700 for cheap tires at his dealer and didn't say no like what I did.

This other dealer I'm talking about is a Milwaukee city limit Toyota dealer and one of their Scion Specialty sales consultants goes on a Scion forum site that I go on. She has read this situation (since I posted it on there) and she private messaged me stating I should go up there. Then explain what happened and tell service writer I want to be on track. They will charge me $180 for this 35k checkup and this dealer is ranked high for high quality service. She told me alot of their techs are very knowledgeable and trustworthy with costumers' cars.
    andeet, what ever you please make sure you do at least the basic maintanence. It sounds like you live on a fixed budget and could not stand a huge service bill. In todays automotive world lack of scheduled maintanence can void a factory warranty. If you go outside the dealer to do your maintanence or from one dealer to another make sure you keep good records ;)
    I REALLY would LOVE to get back on track! I like this car very much but these dumb bills are just stacking up and it seems like they won't get back down. This would never happened if I didn't sign an apartment lease last June. :mad: I shouldn't known to not sign that lease since I didn't have the money to do the car checkup in May. I currently work two jobs trying to make something happen but rent seems to always get in the way. :mad: Good news is; this morning I did pay my November's car payment so I'm head. Maybe I'll use November's amount to pay Carmax to do the dumb check up and request to deal with one of my two favorite service consultants (since this happened; when I had unexperienced service consultant and one had the day off & other went on break.) Let's hope Carmax of Keno hasn't read my complaining :blush: (Off with my head!!! LOL)

Man!! Can't wait to get this year over with!! Worst year of my 23 year old life! :mad:
    The good news is that you are young, and you are learning these lessons young. The hard way, yes... but there are plenty of people who never learn them at all, or learn them when they've got bigger responsibilities, like children.

Congrats on getting ahead on the car payment!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Getting ahead on the payment is a very good start.

On the tire bit, try an independent tire shop or two. You could try checking out tirerack for what might be the best bet for your car and budget. They have a great tire selection program that's useful even if you don't buy from them.

Do make sure you get the right answer on the condition of your tires. They are the only connection between you and the road. Nearly everyone underestimates the importance of good tires.
    My brother in law knows people who work at a private owned tire shop in Illinois. So he got me estimate on tires (All seasons.) Three Hankooks for 260-280 including labor; so I may take that offer. Then go to Carmax for my next oil change and get the 30k check up; bring my records with me just in case. I love dealing with their service consultants; they are very helpful & understand women except for that one.

Do you guys think there will be problem requesting one of my personal favorite consultants? I know their names and my tC's sales consultant gave me their ext. numbers.
    No problem at all. Asking for a Service Writer when you come in is no different then asking for a Salesperson.
    You work at a Carmax; do you? Just like anyone else who lecturing me. lol
    Nope, no Carmax employee here. I don't believe I could keep a straight face telling people those prices are non-negotiable.
This discussion has been closed.