Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• Options
    tmerrisstmerriss Member Posts: 42
    Didn't the 66 GT have two air "vents" on the hood...one on each side of the middle? Seems to me that would just add to the looks anyway. I mean I like our hood, but it is a bit large and plain. Just a thought...
  • Options
    ftank99ftank99 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem. E-Brake stuck engaged on cold mornings - can't even drive it! Took it to dealer once, they loosened a belt and lubed it up. Problem re-occurred the 1st cold morning after the fix. Took car back to dealer, been driving a loaner for 5 days now - not happy at all. I have no confidence they will fix this..has anyone gotten this completely fixed?
  • Options
    kristinjkristinj Member Posts: 4
    Yes im having the same prob with my 2005 mustang, well that was afetr them replacing most of the drive train. I just sent in the lemon law paper work today, what a piece of crap! :lemon:
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Oh no! Don't give up, Kristin! Ditch that one and get another one. You'll be much happier. There's nothing better than a woman behind the wheel of a V8 powered car! :D If you have the V6 :sick: , then get the V8 :surprise: ! You'll definitely be happier. :shades:
  • Options
    rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    I've read several articles that say the V6 Pony Package includes upgraded stabilizer bars to improve handling to be more GT-like. However, I cannot find this info in any official Ford brochure or on the Ford website. In fact, the website's description of the Pony Package mentions nothing about the sway bars. Has this upgrade been confirmed by Ford? If so, where? I'm not sure I'd get the Pony Package unless I know with certainty that this stabilizer bar upgrade is true.
  • Options
    dragonrider1dragonrider1 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 06 with pony pack yes it has the rear stablizer bar I think the car handle great :D
  • Options
    mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    What does the stabablizer bar do? Where should I look to see if the car Im looking at has the stabalizer bar? Thanks.
  • Options
    I believe the V6 has a stabilizer standard. My understanding is that the Pony Package adds a FRONT stabilizer bar and an upgraded rear bar. That is what I'm hoping to confirm as true. Anyone?
  • Options
    Nope.

The V6 has a front stabilizer bar only. The Pony Package adds a rear stabilizer bar. I just read up on the suspensions yesterday.
  • Options
    mario7mario7 Member Posts: 1
    Gt 2005. Same problem. Dead battery after a week. I decided to store it in a locked garage without locking the doors of the Mustang. Gues what:Battery is o.k even after 2 weeks. That should be a hint for Ford to find the cause
  • Options
    jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    Same here. I just got my 06 V6 with pony package last week & it does have front & rear stabalizers. I also got to test drive one w/out the pony package & one with & you can tell the difference as to which has the GT suspension & which doesn't. The suspension, stabalizers, & bigger tires really do make a differnce & help make the car feel more "grounded"....
  • Options
    Where did you read up on it? Have you seen this info from any official Ford article or website? I just want to know with certainty that this is true, because Ford's own description of the Pony Package makes no mention of the upgraded suspension.
  • Options
    straystray Member Posts: 11
    I've been reading Edmund's for awhile now. The info found here is very helpful.
    I ordered a V6 Premium w/Pony Pkg about 4 weeks ago. I knew the Pony Pkg came with the fog lights/w extra chrome, traction control and anti-lock brakes, etc. Now I found out it has the rear stabilizer bar also, this just keeps getting better.

Randy
  • Options
    tjstangtjstang Member Posts: 3
    I will be ording a V8 CONV I live in PA . ANYBODY KNOW WHAT PLANT IT WILL BE BUILD IN.
  • Options
    nogtyetnogtyet Member Posts: 11
    It will be built at the Flat Rock plant in Michigan.
  • Options
    stray, I orderd my V6/pony package 4 weeks ago also. How long did they tell you it would take to build and deliver?
  • Options
    straystray Member Posts: 11
    The owner of the dealership told me 6 to 8 weeks. The salesman, who happens to be my brother, told me it could possibly be up to 3 months. The wait is getting harder with each passing week.

How long were you told to expect to wait?
  • Options
    I was told about 8 weeks.
  • Options
    tjstangtjstang Member Posts: 3
    Thank You.
  • Options
    dentmustangdentmustang Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with the dead battery. Have they found a solution? The car is great except for this problem
  • Options
    I'm about to buy a V6 with Pony Package. I'm not, however, crazy about the Pony Package grille, so I was hoping to replace it, preferably with the GT grille. I understand the GT grill is slightly larger then the V6, so it is not a simple swap out. Has anyone found a good way to replace the grille without having to modify the bumper cover or fender?
  • Options
    jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    Actually, 8 weeks for a V6 sounds about right, depending on the priority code you got. I had a priority code of 10 (which is about the best most of us without connections can hope for!) & got mine in 6 weeks though was initially told it would be 8. If I'm not mistaken, the higher the number your priority code is, the longer it will take. Lower priority numbers don't take as long. Check your VOC (which you should've gotten from your dealer; if you haven't been given one DEFINITELY request one!) & it should tell you your priority code number on the top right of the page. I made sure to follow up about every 2-3 weeks just to make sure things were still going according to plan.
    GT's, in general, will take a bit longer to build & ship out just because supplies of GT's are a bit more limited.
  • Options
    Bad news I guess, I just got my VOC and my priority code on a V6 that I ordered about 5 weeks ago. My priority code is 80 which doesnt sound good. Who assigns these numbers, did my dealer assign an 80 to me? & Does this mean that Itll take 6 months to builc my car?
  • Options
    nbchillinnbchillin Member Posts: 5
    I have the same issue with my car, and have been doing plenty of research over the last week, (the first week i have owned this car and noticed the problem since day 1.) Apparently one solution that has proved effective, is the fact that 1 out of 5 driveshafts that come out of detroit right now for GT mustangs appear to be warped, (even after build replacements). However when a proper one is installed, the vibration goes away. I have been told it was causing a binding and friction that causes the vibration during the certain moment of torque curve at 1500-2200 rpms, (give or take depending on the warping involved.) The only question is, can you talk your dealer into changing the whole driveshaft? Anyway here is the info. The part description is "52-1 Drive Shaft Assembly - Rear". The part number on the ticket is "SPD 5R3Z 4R602 A Shaft ASY".
  • Options
    ZorbasZorbas Member Posts: 9
    I have a new 05 mustang, and... I have tree sap on it... how do I safely remove the tree sap?
    thanks guys. :cry:
  • Options
    WD-40 or peanut butter (with a LOT of work) or baby oil.
  • Options
    pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Windex or similar cleaner. I use Simple Green, which is also good for bugs, road tar, gunk etc.
  • Options
    and the wd-40, or windex... or simple green... doesnt hurt the clear coat or paint at all? I was under the impression that the ammonia would hurt it. :confuse:
  • Options
    nbchillinnbchillin Member Posts: 5
    Sorry i noticed a typo in my reply, (and a big one at that lol) is that it is 1 in 50 not 1 in 5 driveshafts. It is fair to assume that if it was 1 in 5 this issue would be discussed more.
  • Options
    They'll strip the wax off in the applied areas, but no harm to the finish. Just wash and re-wax the area when you're done. Keep in mind it's not going to be a "spray on, wipe off" affair. You will have to rub (not scrub) it a little bit. The WD-40 will need to soak in for a couple of minutes and it will come off pretty easily. Just don't let it run all the way down the side of your car. It only needs to sit on the affected area.
  • Options
    ct2048ct2048 Member Posts: 1
    My Brothers owns a 2005 Mustang the E-Brake Locked on him. He said the car felt funny so he stopped by the gas station to fill up and check things out. To his surprise his BRAKES were on FIRE. He said his stereo wouldn't turn on either. He was also surprised that he had to fill up on gas. He had just filled up the day before. Boy was he lucky that was a problem too. His car could have caught fire. He said the tow truck driver had pick up a 2005 mustang 2 weeks prior. It had the same problem. Only the whole back end of the car was torched .

So He had 3 Problems
    His Brakes Locked
    His Gas Gauge isn’t working properly
    His Stereo stopped working.
    He only has 6,573 Miles on it.
  • Options
    ct2048, you still have time to go back and delete 3 of those 4 identical posts. :sick:
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Deleted by the Host. Thanks for the heads up!

MrShiftright
  • Options
    tmerrisstmerriss Member Posts: 42
    Thanks nbchillin, that would explain the "cyclicle vibration" that I have between 1900 and 2900 RPM while the car is in motion, but it would not explain the "3200" or "1200" RPM vibration that I get, even when the car is sitting still...have any ideas about that?

CP
  • Options
    Zorba, been using Windex for years, no problems. Just started with Simple Green, which seems to leave a coat. As tayl0rd has pointed out, you need to rub a bit, but the underlying finish is just fine. The hardest stuff to remove is road tar -- sometimes I scrape it off with a fingernail. I've gotten so tired of tree sap, I just don't park under trees if I can help it. I'd steer clear of anything with a petroleum based solvent, anything volatile, not only because of the toxic fumes, but because it might dissolve the clearcoat and/or paint.
  • Options
    i got a bottle of this stuff: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/stn-91154.html

what do u guys think?

i dont wanna try it if its gonna kill my clearcoat.

chris
    :confuse:
  • Options
    albeenoalbeeno Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2005 Mustang GT on November 19th and last Friday while sitting at a red light I hear a beeping sound. I glance down at the message center and it says "ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE". I went the next day and got it checked out at a local Ford dealer and come to find out I need a new throttle body! WTF???

I'm hoping it's even faster then beofre with this new throttle body. Luckily everything is under warranty and I don't have to pay anything for this, but should I be concerened about more problems with this new model? Would you?
  • Options
    nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    I never buy a 1st year car after a major model change jsut for the simple reason that they are still trying to work out the kinks. That being said I will be ordering a 2006 GT at the end of this week. I can't wait! :):)
  • Options
    I know a fella who bought his GT Premium Dec. '04, has over 15k miles on it, and has had no problems.
  • Options
    i used Stoner Tarminator Tar, Grease & Sap Remover and lemme tell you! its AWESOME! it works like a charm, applied it using a microfiber cloth and rubbed after 4 squirts on the cloth it was gone, it smells like weird chemicals... did a wax afterwards and wash, and presto, like NEW!

thnaks guys! :)
  • Options
    Do they call it "Stoner" cuz you get high from the fumes? ;)
  • Options
    haha... funny... but seriously guys, stoner makes great stuff, their window cleaner is the best ive used, its ammonia free(safe for tinted glass) and no streaks.

good stuff!

:shades:
  • Options
    silverstrksilverstrk Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 automatic,loaded,4000 miles, born May 15th. I apparently have one of the fifty bad drive shafts, but have also noticed the linkage significantly stiffening up when the temp approaches 30 degrees. If you could imagine that plastic part that has the PRD321 on it was made of 1/8 inch ice, and when you moved the shift lever you had to drag it through that ice in either direction, that's how mine feels. Crackling, crunchy(AND STIFF)kind of feel. But when it's in whatever gear you want, it performs fine. When the temperature gets back up into the 50's, it starts shifting normally again. Ice storm today (9 degrees)and it doesn't feel any worse than 30 degrees. Warming the transmission by driving doesn't seem to any effect, OUTSIDE temperature only. Even though I never felt like I was abusing it(manually shifted ONLY when testing for problems), I did break it in rather hard. (this car is a dream at 140!!) Windows rattle, console buzzes at 1200 RPM, but I don't care; I'll get it fixed. LOVE THIS CAR!!
  • Options
    This is the only new GT that I've ever heard run, so I don't have anything to compare it with, but it seems to me there is a knock in this engine at idle. Is this normal? It seems to come from the top of the engine. Cam? Unfortunately, I didn't notice it until I'd gotten on it a few times.(first try at 400miles, stared beating/enjoying it at 800miles) I know you probably think I broke it in to hard, but I didn't, I swear!! I just enjoyed it a little bit, that's ALL! ;)
  • Options
    I just re reread my last post, and realized that it sounds like I drove it 400 miles before getting on it. The 400 miles came from the delivery. I got on it on the way home! :blush:
  • Options
    albeenoalbeeno Member Posts: 3
    You should've gotten the interior upgrade & sport appearance package. I get nearly as many positive comments on the inerior of mine as I do about how cool the exterior is. Tons of compliments too on the Redfire exterior color!
  • Options
    screamingscreaming Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 GT (man. trans.) has had problems with upper strut assembly. It started as a slight popping noise and continued to increase as the mileage increased. After 2 trips to service department, they finally figured out the problem. Seems Ford knows of this problem, but yet they are not informing the owners. While ours was in the shop being repaired, we ran across a 2005 V6 owner who had the same problem. Seems Ford sends out internal emails to the service departments informing them of different problems, but no notices for the owners. Any other problems? :mad:
  • Options
    Find out problem? Mine did this also. After 2 trips to service department, they finally figured it out. Upper Strut Bearing Assembly....replaced under warranty. Ran across a V6 owner whose also did this. Ford knows of this problem but has not informed it's owners. :mad:
  • Options
    Popping noise: Mine was the upper strut bearing assembly. Problem on V6's and V8's. Ford knows of this problem, but they are not informing owners. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.