Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• Options
    bluegtbluegt Member Posts: 3
    I never noticed the rattle until about 4000km (2500mi). But now that I've read through some more posts I remembered that I also encountered the skipping CD problem and also I have noticed the engine vibration at around 3000 RPM. Although in my case it doesn't seem as bad as the way some descibe it. Mine is more like an injection glitch that causes more noise than anything else. It is not noticable if you accelerate quickly through that rev range, but by then your over the speed limit :)
  • Options
    bluegtbluegt Member Posts: 3
    good theory, but given the low mileage (kilomeratage :confuse: ) and the fact that most of those miles where done with a passenger I'm inclined to go with pony pirate on this one.
  • Options
    pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    It seems replacing the tank is not the solution. There must be some kind of sensor in the fuel handle that tells the pump when to shut off. For some reason, the design of the Mustang triggers that sensor.

I would guess that the servo mechanism is a flow sensor in the handle. For some reason the flow of gasoline into an empty tank in the Mustang is read as the same as that into a full tank in other cars. This, as suggested by harleygirl1, may have to do with the caliber of the pipe leading to the tank, being narrower than other cars, rather than the tank itself.

Or there might be some kind of air release mechanism, that lets the air out of the tank as gas is being pumped into it. That air release mechanism, probably a valve, may be faulty: air is not being allowed to get out of the tank fast enough and pressure builds up, shutting off the fuel handle. Just thinking out loud.

Either way, the solution is simple: Replace the tank AND the pipe leading to it, and/or put in a better valve, one that allows the fumes to escape as gas is being pumped in.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i think you are on to something... i.e. it may not be the tank. i think you left out the possibility that if there is a vent line leading to some valve, that line may be crimped. also besides the caliber of the pipe leading to the tank, i guess you'd have to include the shape (bend) of the pipe. finally, do these tanks have some internal bladder?
  • Options
    User777: I didn't know gas tanks had internal bladders. Interesting.

Further thoughts: Does the problem occur in some states, but not others, and/or some brands of gas, but not others? In other words, could this have something to do with the kind of or variation in fuel handles? I haven't had any problems filling up; I live in California and mostly buy brand name gas, mostly Chevron, sometimes Shell. Has that problem occured in Calif. and/or with Chevron or Shell?
  • Options
    tmerrisstmerriss Member Posts: 42
    Hello Mr. Shiftright, it has been a while since I have visited the forum. As you know, some GT owners are having trouble with "vibration problems" as I have (and a few other problems), and I thought I would bring all up to date on what I have found....

First a description: Loud vibration at 3200 RPM and 1200 RPM (even if car is not in motion). Also, a different "cyclycle" vibration (only with car in motion) between 1900 and 3100 RPM. Both vibrations could be related. Irritaion factor: EXTREME

Well, the dealerships are not too accomodating here...they say "Detroit knows there is a vibration issue, but we cannot do anything about it until they issue a TSB". One tech says he's "sure" that this is an exhaust issue, and that the combonation of a 3-valve per cylinder engine, with the new exhaust, is causing "exhaust drone" at these RPM's. He went on to explain that he thinks that the two diffrent vibration problems are really the same. I told him I beg to differ...I highly doubt that such problems can be caused simply by so-called "exhaust drone". Exhaust drone cannot explain the "cyclycle vibration" (between 1900 and 3100), but he claims it can.
    I told him "if exhaust, then fix it"...he said he cannot becuase Detroit has not "officialy" made it an exhaust problem yet, and the dealership will not pay for explortory surgery! He says I can put an aftermarket exhaust on and that would probebly cure the problem. I asked if that would take it out of warranty...he says it would! :confuse: So it is a catch 22. The dealership will not explore the problem without detroits ok. Detroit will not allow me to attempt to remedy the problem with a new exaust. Basically Ford is telling me to live with it.

Yes I have a little dash rattle when I go over bumps, and the slowww RPM drop rate between shifts is irritating (they claim it is to keep the car from droping RPM's too fast and cutting off, but Corvettes don't have that problem, and they too have high pro V-8's). Yes there are a few problems that I can live with...but this vibration thing is driving me nuts. Any advice?

CP
  • Options
    i don't think all gas tanks have internal bladders. i thought i read somewhere that some do however.

is there a Mustang parts site that lets someone look up parts and shows exploded sub-system views? that's what i'd be looking for to see the design of the gas fuel system as a whole (i.e. not just the tank).

i admit to driving a honda 4dr sedan (i've driven a few Mustangs, greatly enjoyed the experience, just couldn't afford them at the time...fond memories of the family's '65 or '66 white with red interior and the 289?).

the exploded views of my vehicle's gas system clearly shows a vent line and vent valve. i figure the techology isn't all that different now a days between the manufacturer's, primarily because of EPA, OBD testing, and safety/integrity standards during impacts.

i was thinking that the shape of the fill tube (if there is a quick bend in it) could make the problem worse. however, my very uneducated hunch is that the basic issue could be that there's no place for the air being displaced by the gas going in to exit the tank at the rate required...because of some vent problem, leading to a back pressure causing the fuel handle to shut off flow.

i dunno, maybe a tank with a bladder has to be designed differently to allow it to expand as fluid goes in. i just don't know enough about it. it's an interesting problem i hope you find quick resolution to...specially if you live up north. that could be a cold (what 25 minute?) experience each time you needed to refill. not to mention the safety issue of gas coming back out of the filler tube.
  • Options
    It has to be the fill tube....common sense dictates it. I thought they had that problem solved...my 2005 GT (built in May) does not have that problem because they supposedly took care of it in March of '05, but from what your saying, they haven't. Mabey when they built yours, they ran out of filler tubes, and used one of the defective one's...who knows? I would demand a new filler tube. Just my opinion...

CP
  • Options
    After I took delivery on my 2005 GT, I noticed there was no rocket scientest included in the trunk. I was hopeing that a rocket scientist with a 3 month supply of food would be in the trunk as a loaner from Ford for 3 months. Then when I needed to program some different colors in "My Color tm" i could call on my "rocket scientist" to pop up front and program some colors for me. I mean you MUST BE KIDDING! YOU NEED A COLLEGE DEGREE IN CALCULUS TO PROGRAM THIS THING! Even if you read the manual, your still lost, because Ford does a HORRIBLE job of explaining the programming functions. Wouldn't a few TUNING KNOBS been a lot simpler? Wouldn't that of made more sense? Am I the only one who notices this?

CP
  • Options
    Edmunds.com lists the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) issued by manufacturers for different cars. There are 12, repeat 12, for the '05 Mustang, and, yup, the gas tank problem is up there, #4, dated March '05:

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=tsb&year=2005&make=Ford&model=Mustang- - - - - &style=GT+Premium+2dr+Coupe+%284.6L+8cyl+5M%29&zip=94530&synpartner=edmunds&tid=edmunds...- - - - - mnt.step2.9.Ford*

To get there, go to home page, click "tips and advice" tab, click "maintenance costs," fill in info, submit, and click TSB link.
  • Options
    Funny, my car DID come equipped with a rocket scientist. The guy had such a big appetite that feeding him cost more than gas, so I had to set him loose.

The color thing is no biggie. Only works with car at a stand-still with the lights on:

1) Scroll thru menu options with the center setup button till you get to the color menu.

2) Hold the right reset button for 3 seconds -- the readout will count down the seconds.

3) Pressing center setup button moves thru R, G, and B (red, green, and blue).

4) Pressing the reset button changes the numeric value for each color.

5) You can move thru R, G, & B and change the values for each as many times as you want.

6) It will ask you if you want to save by pressing reset.

If in doubt, consult manual.
  • Options
    Thank You and you just made my point. Let's see...

Park
    Lights On
    Hold Button
    Count Seconds
    Move thru R,G,B using reset button (Choosing R,G, or B you do what?)
    Press Reset button for numeric values
    move thru R,G, and B
    Asks you to save by pressing reset ( pressing reset will no doubt change numeric values again)
    Consult manual
    :(

This would of been better:

Color Tune
    o R
    o G
    o B

The little round thingys are called KNOBS. I know I'll get the hang of it sooner or later, but why make it so difficult?

CP
  • Options
    Sorry, tmerriss, you don't have my sympathy. My cell phone is infinitely more complex to operate than setting these colors, which you don't even have to do, unlike the cell phone.
  • Options
    heartbrokenheartbroken Member Posts: 2
    I can't say if it happends in California or not. But I live in GA and I have alot of trouble pumping gas. One thing I can say I noticed is that it is worse in the Summer. It does'nt seem to matter what kind of gas either one time at a station - no problem, next time at same station - I'm trying everything I can think of including calling my car some choice names and the pump will not run long enough for me to get any gas at all :mad: . I have been to as many as 3 stations trying to get one to work and still fighting with to just get enough gas to last a day or 2. And my gas tank has been replaced once. I also have to leave the key turned in the ignition when I am able to pump gas because it will take some gas then turn off the pump as if it were full after $15 or $20 or so.
  • Options
    Yeah it looks as if Ford did not really fix this gas tank thing. Mabey you could have your dealer replace the whole thing...I mean trying to get enough gas just for a day or two is past ridiclous. Shouldn't have to put up with that...

CP
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I seriously doubt an aftermarket exhaust would void your warranty unless perhaps you put on an aftermarket header pipe...but if you did a cat-back system I don't think that's a problem.

Vibrations can be a real bear, very difficult to solve, especially if, as you say, it happens without the car moving. One always worries that it is an internal engine balance issue. I suppose a loose/vibrating exhaust manifold could do this, that is plausible.
  • Options
    wildhorsewildhorse Member Posts: 10
    I have a 05 premium v6 convertible with 5,000 miles on it. I just had mine in for a "smart moduale" that was defective. They found it when my trunk light wasn't working. No it wasn't the bulb. After getting the new "smart moduale" in last week I found my passenger seatbelt warning was acting different. Come to find out its now actually working correctly according to the manual. (used to come on soon as I started rolling, a warning light and the beeping) Now she waits 1-2 minutes after I start rolling to tell me the passenger seatbelt isn't on the passenger. Then I found out I no longer had headlights flashing when locking and setting the alarm...manual says only the turning lights flash NOT the headlights so that was corrected too. And I just found out tonight I've got Daytime Running Lights...noticed it when I stopped the car and tried to turn off the headlights...before putting the parking brake on. The parking brake turns them off when engaged. This didn't even exist before (the daytime running lights) Funny thing is I haven't seen any other 05/06s with daytime running lights on...makes me wonder if I got a smarter "smart moduale"???? or just was supposed to be on a premium packaged Mustang?
    They said you'd be surprised how many circuits are tied into that thing (smart moduale).
  • Options
    shanlunashanluna Member Posts: 3
    My 05 Mustang has been in the Ford Dealership since Nov. 10th with (auto) transmission probs. I am told that they found metal in the transmission and that it was due to a bad torque converter. Ford is now replacing the torque converter.

Just fyi, the prob starts with a whining noise from the engine (sounds like a bad fan belt) and then begins slipping when you hit 20 to 25 mph. It feels like if you have a stick and don't shift properly. Just wanted to share, because the noise doesn't sound like a big deal, thank goodness I didn't ignore it.
  • Options
    pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    My 05 GT was built in Dec 2004 and I have no fill issues. What I do is park the car, turn it off and take off gas cap. I then start fiddling with the payment and octane choice. I probably wait around 1-2 minutes while doing that before fill-up. I haven't had any problems filling the tank. Maybe by my waiting any pressure that has built up is dissipated.

I have also heard on dedicated Mustang boards that turning the fuel nozzle upside down cures the problem also. It might be worth trying and the cost to try it is definitely affordable for all :shades:
  • Options
    The Ford technician that I talked with also builds funny cars. He says that it is a shame that the RPM on the new Mustang GT's is limited at 6500, because a large part of the power band is between 6500 and 7500...and the car could do better quarter miles with the RPM raised.He added that the car can run safley up to 7500, and if it were his...It's easy drop the limiter! What do you think? i know you can run higher RPM because it is an "overhead valve design" , but is it true that 7500 is safe?

I told him that I would be happy just to get the RPM to drop faster when I let off the accelerator so I wouldn't be embarrased every time I revved the damn thing...he says that can be programned too.

CP
  • Options
    I think he's talking crazy talk...maybe he has a sponsor to pay for blown up engines, but you don't. Part of winning races is to destroy the machine eventually, but that's not the goal of the average driver.
  • Options
    riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    I've had my 05 GT since 2-12-05, (built Jan 05), and I had the gas tank issue with the pump shutting off. Also had problems with the CD skipping. Took it to the dealer, and they were VERY apologetic, offered to replace the gas tank and send the radio/cd out to be fixed. Said had to order tank and would notify me when it came in and would do the radio at the same time as not to bother me twice. Got tank replaced, and radio removed in less than 3hrs, replaced radio 3 days later in less than 2hrs. Everything works GREAT now, no problems putting gas in car, (Calif AND Ariz), and no more skipping cd's.
  • Options
    penguinracepenguinrace Member Posts: 2
    That's interesting, because I hear a faint whine from the engine at certain speeds and gears. And, when I shift, it sometimes feels like it doesn't lock in for a second and then it does. From the beginning I felt the car shifted a little funny. I have driven four different cars with a manual transmission and they did not feel like this. And, I am shifting correctly, so it's not my fault. The difference is that you have an auto while I have a manual. Would this make a difference? It's an 05' V6 premium with 1,600 miles btw. Should I be concerned? If I go to the dealer now will they find anything and brush me off or do I have to wait for something to go terribly wrong first before they give me any attention? Thanks!
  • Options
    my2k5my2k5 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '05 that I've had since January. The fuel tank problem began gradually...almost wondered if it was my imagination. Finally after a few months, and filling up 2-3 times per week, I became fed up! My dealer ended up replacing the tank and it filled fine for the 1st couple of months. But the last few weeks, it has been tripping the pump off again. TALK ABOUT FRUSTRATING!!! We have another call into our dealer. I really LOVE my car, but can't tolerate the time spent the pump 3 times per week. I also have another concern when accelerating...it doesn't always do it, but when increasing from a slower to faster speed while turning a corner and changing lanes - my car seems to jerk. It's as if there is a pause with the gas getting through and then when it does it jerks into acceleration????
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "My dealer ended up replacing the tank and it filled fine for the 1st couple of months. But the last few weeks, it has been tripping the pump off again."

Interesting.

What could possibly be CHANGING within either the tank or the filler pipe which would cause this condition to worsen over time?

I mean, it's a tank. It's a filler pipe. What could be happening within the tank which would make it work initially and then start to NOT take fuel?

Personally, I think that somehow or another, something is getting into and clogging the vent hose.
  • Options
    Someone at the station suggested that the float might be an issue? I don't know. I just know that with both tanks, the problem gradually became worse, and it did't matter where I got gas. Those poor attendants see me coming and they run and hide....really most are patient, but when they're busy and are forced to babysit my fueling. (Oregon doesn't let you pump your own gas...)
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Okay, maybe it's the float for the fuel sender.....but how does the float change over time? :confuse:
  • Options
    Beats the heck outta me?!! I was hoping you'd know....
  • Options
    I don't get it...everybody is talking about the gas tank problem, but no one is addresing the very important "MY COLOR tm" issue. I just don't get it...
    :confuse:
  • Options
    skiutahbobskiutahbob Member Posts: 11
    I have an 06 GT with the automatic. Since new (now with almost 2k miles) I notice a slight shudder upon aggressive launch in 1st gear, but then all is smooth for the remainder of gear shifts. I have experimented with the TCS turned off with little change...any similar experiences?

Bob
  • Options
    pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I have heard of no issues or TSBs. What is your problem? Mine works fine and I have no problem operating it.
  • Options
    mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    What is the My Color tm issue?
  • Options
    I believe the issue is, why is it so complex to change the color of the instrumentation, or some such, and why didn't they use radial dial controls to set R, G, and B relative intensities? Basically, why is it so complicated?

Maybe I got that wrong but...let me WAG a guess at this.

Since the system is computerized anyway, and I presume there are push buttons for other functions, it is actually cheaper and simpler to use those pushbuttons in different modes to do multiple things and control this function.

to have potentiometers (variable resistors), would mean that analog circuitry would be required, in addition to analog to digital convertors, which makes a digital design now also analog, and more expensive.

now the existing system is no doubt mixed signal (analog and digital in nature), but doing away with the extra potentiometers and A/D convertors saves money and reduces complexity.

It sounds like the programming effort by the user is a bit complex, and not very user-friendly. Maybe the feature was an afterthought, or just not designed and implemented very well. It may or may not get addressed in subsequent models, but once you set it once and like the preferences, even if a hastle to do so, why would you change it again?

OK - multiple drivers in the household right? OK. Do they link the settings to the FOB being used?

Still you might see why it wouldn't get high-priority to be implemented in another way.
  • Options
    jc_05gtjc_05gt Member Posts: 13
    I agree it's hard to program but hey - are there any other cars out there that have the ability to change the display colors to basically anything you want?? How many times are you really gonna change it anyway?? You are bashing on a way cool feature that could be improved but i think there are bigger issues ford needs to address first on this car!
  • Options
    The color thing is a gimmick. I've played with it but always come back to basic blue. Would rather Ford had put the extra money in better speakers.
  • Options
    Better speakers? I think dash color is way more important...I mean green or white get's old after a while. But I do agree I like the teal blue color (not that horrific blue that is set as a default). The teal blue or even pink give's it that "old school look". But I do agree also that Ford has other issues to address.

I would think that the LED's used for the backlighting would be on a simple analog circuit...a circuit that's seperate from the digital readout. I mean when you adjust the backlighting, the digital readout does not change in intensity, a further indicator that it is a seperate circuit. If that is so, then why in the world would they make a seperate circuit digital, that runs from the fusebox and is only used to power LED's? I guess the digital circuit has some control over it, because it controls the LED intensity and color mix thru the complex process of the push buttons. But what I am saying is that if they used the variable resistors, they could of kept the circuits seperate, which would of been easier.
    :surprise: I think I'm dwelling far too much on this...

Ok, you want better speakers...I'd trade those for 20 more horses!
    :P
  • Options
    Anyone notice how damn hot the engine gets in the summer? I don't mean internally, I'm talking about the engine compartment. I mean I can feel the blistering heat on my legs coming up from UNDER the car when I get out after a hard drive. A quick exam of the issue showed me why: There is NO WHERE FOR THE HEAT TO GO! The hood has no vents in it (which would of solved it), the engine compartment is very "stuffed", and there is not much room around the wheel wells for the singeing heat to escape from. So some of the destructive heat is forced out UNDER the car, and the rest stays trapped under the hood, which can't be good in the long run. Folks, I am afraid that this is an issue that may haunt us as our car's age...what a silly little, easy to solve oversight that could lead to big problems later on....come on Ford, get with it.
    :mad:
  • Options
    rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    Do you own a GT or a V6? I'm wondering if this is less of an issue with the V6 since, I'm assuming, the engine compartment isn't as "stuffed".
  • Options
    nbchillinnbchillin Member Posts: 5
    Hello, i just bought an 06 mustang gt with an auto tranny and have noticed the shudder as well. I am curious if you have taken it to the dealer and seen what they said about it, or if anyone else has written you on the topic possibly explaining the problem and/ or solution. I am going to try and take it to the dealer next week. Please let me know, thanks

-Christian
  • Options
    I just bought an 06' mustang gt with an auto tranny. Curious if anyone else has noticed a shudder from the rear/center of the car under any level of acceleration in first gear between about 1500 and 3000 rpms. I do not notice it in higher gears. Anyone aware of such a problem, or a solution and explanation? Let me know, thanks.
  • Options
    Even my sales associate a day ago when i purchased the car, made it sound like no big deal, but he noticed a shudder from the tranny in first gear during launch, even at low/medium speeds. Is it anything that progressively gets worse, or is a problem, or just the character of a powerful and unique muscle car? let me know asap so i can address it! thanks
  • Options
    Yes I have a GT, I would think the problem would not be as bad with a V6, but I don't know. With all of that heat under there, I'm thinking of premature ware on things under the hood Like wireing and such. When I say it get's hot, I mean really hot, much more than most cars I think. I'm sure this is a problem EVERYONE has, but most are probebly unaware. I'm thinking of getting in there and doing some cutting for places to allow heat out.
  • Options
    OMG, I just saw somthing on my Mustang that before I completley missed, and it must be the MAIN reason for the heat under the hood...the area where the winsheild wipers are is COMPLETLEY BLOCKED OFF!!!!! NO WONDER HEAT CAN"T GET OUT!! What IDIOT engineer thought of that one? I paid 31,000 for this car and I get this kind of stupid engineering? You must be kidding me!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm sure someone at Ford thought that they were being clever with that, thinking that it would keep rain out. WHO CARES ABOUT RAIN? Heat is FAR more destructive than rain ever was. I think a recall is in order, they should remove that thingy. They gave the heat absolutly no where to go. What do you think Mr. Shiftright? AM I right?

CP
  • Options
    Ok, there is a place for heat to escape...there's a opening on the inside of the peice that blocks airflow by the winsheild wipers. But that means that heat has to be forced DOWN a long way and out of the bottom of the car! :surprise: So a hell of a lot of pressure has to build up before the heat can be forced downwards and out. Not a particularly smart idea. I think I may drill some releif holes...
  • Options
    Hmmm....hood louvers might be kind of nice :P
  • Options
    I too have noticed that the airflow in the cabin of the Pony ain't nowhere near as good as that in my Honda or other cars I've driven. But hey, there ARE compensating features, and ... uh ... there ARE windows.

Somewhere up above I posted a link to TSB's (Ford Tech Service Bulletins) on this site , one or two of which concern the transmission.

I'm away from home and forced to drive a Chevy rental. You guys ought to remember how good you have it ...
  • Options
    or an opening around a low-profile blower. ;)
  • Options
    grampsthechampgrampsthechamp Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Mustang V6 that the engine light comes on every 1200 miles. Currently I only have 5K miles. It has been to the dealership twice. I get the same line about turning off the engine and filling up with Chevron fuel. Now my trunk pops open while I'm flying down the highway and the horn sounds off four times an hour regardless if it is in the parking lot or on the highway. The guy at the dealership told me to unplug the battery and it would reset the computer. This did not solve the problem. I think my neighbors are going to attack my Gramps! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks :cry:
  • Options
    Ah but a blower or turbo generates MORE heat, so you have to intercool. See, it's never easy.
  • Options
    true. i was merely trying to justify a good sized hole in the hood of a great looking car. perhaps the blower was overkill. ;)
This discussion has been closed.