Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    US market car but a Euro version, a 1984 Honda Prelude EX.

It's very close to my 1983 Prelude, with the same wheel covers but mine had no extended spoiler.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I think it is a Euro market Prelude from about 1985. Looks like the British version but LHD so mainland Europe. It looks remarkably fresh and clean for a 25+ year car.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A college roommate had one of those. Fun car to zip around in. It was an automatic, so not quick, but still very fun to drive.
  • Options
    Those gen2 Preludes had a fabulous chassis and good steering as well as the best seats Honda ever put in a car. They had their faults though, the engine didn't like to rev and the brakes could have been stronger.

• Options
    edited February 2013

• Options
    Corolla Verso, right?

They should make that the next Matrix.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    I think I have the same book. Does it have the Seattle-ite XXI on the cover?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Nope it isn't a Corolla of any sort but you're getting warm.

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    edited February 2013
    G'day

Well it is very definitely a 2013 Toyota Corolla in Australia http://www.toyota.com.au/corolla

They are sort of the standard hire car at Airports in Australia and New Zealand. I rather like them and had contemplated getting one for my daughter who is learning to drive.

What is it called elsewhere?

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Yup, it looks like the same car but in the Euro market it'll be sold as the 2014 Toyota Auris. I suspect it will replace the Toyota Matrix here in the USDM. Our Corollas are all notchbacks, the Matrix and the Yaris are our only 'Yoda hatchbacks.

Is the Corolla hatch new to Oz?

• Options
    edited February 2013

Funny thing about those old four door h/ts, they're always photographed with the windows down but I can tell you from experience they were seldom driven that way, it gets pretty windy at highway speeds.

I used to think it amusing that the "plain wrapper" police cars on the TV show Naked City were Catalina Hardtops usually shown with the windows down.

Now one did not drive around Manhattan with the windows down and cops didn't drive hardtops. The must've had a deal with Pontiac Division to show the cars to best advantage which was smart on Poncho's part, Pontiacs being the best looking big cars of the early 60s (not withstanding that the NYPD's cars were usually Fords and Plymouths).

• Options
    I knew that, sort of.

In Brazil I think they call it Verso. I've seen some here with diplomatic plates and the Verso name also, but who knows where that one came from.
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,115
    That's a '65 or '66 Imperial. I always liked those cars a lot. To me, from '67 on, an Imperial was just never the same.

You'll call me crazy, but I also like '64 Studebaker Daytona hardtops a lot and I see a similarity or two in their boxy, chiseled shape, and sloped front end.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    Yup, that's a 1965 Imperial Crown. I like them too, they were obviously influenced by the clean design of the contemporary Lincoln Continentals.

Like most cars white doesn't flatter it, almost any other color would look better on it. Make mine a nice 60s Aqua.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    No right clicking. :-)

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    1965 Imperial Crown. I like them too, they were obviously influenced by the clean design of the contemporary Lincoln Continentals.

Remember that Elwood Engel came over from Ford to replace Virgil Exner in the early 60's, so there is a lot of Fomoco influence on mid 60's Mopars I think. I like a lot of the Imperials from 57 thru 66. I also agree with the comment about Pontiac putting out some of the nicest early 60's designs. Back in the 60's, a rock DJ would say you just posted a "two sided winner" with the back to back pix of the 65 Imperial and the 61 Pontiac.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hyundai Genesis? The smoking rear tires gave it away, I think.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Nope, try doubling the price into, say, Equus territory (before loading it up with options and almost doubling the price again).
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    No, mine has an Amphicar on the cover. It's a small hardcover book by Craig Cheetham.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Euro only VW Scirocco. I'm not a fan of the Shooting Brake style rear and I think it looks like a Golf with a chopped roof.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    kind of a stretchy 1995 Honda Civic. I bet it's fun to drive though.
  • Options
    Volkswagen Scirrocco, not returning to the US of A last I heard. :(

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Showing off the optional jumpseats.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,179
    A Tesla Model S, of course - strangest thing is that I see them literally every day here. Must be more money floating around than I had imagined.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    Elon Musk was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Interesting career he has had, though I still expect someday Tesla will become the next Tucker.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I can't see how the company is making any money--must be a high burn rate on capital.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yep, that's the newest one in the Edmunds' long term test fleet.

Not that I'm in the market for a $60k EV, but if I was, I'd try not to hold PayPal against the company (yeah, I know eBay purchased them - I'm pretty leery of them too. :shades: ).

And loaded up with those jump seats ($1,500) and all the other options that were loaded onto it, the prices came out to $105,005. Plus TTL.
  • Options
    Tell me again why people want to beat the crap out of a $105K car by performing useless stunts....just go buy a Mustang. :(
  • Options
    Maybe in the good ideas but failed dreams part - but I don't know if the cars will be zillion dollar collectibles in 60 years. I agree though. The future for the brand is anything but certain.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    105K - any room for negotiation? Looks like Edmunds is cash flush from all the banner ads :shades:
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    Ok, I see, Mine is 'Worst Concept Cars' by Richard Drudge.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Well they only made 51 Tuckers, and it took a long time for them to become valuable (40+ years).
  • Options
    I guess the movie helped that. I don't know if we'll ever have an Elon Musk movie.
  • Options
    If there's enough room for a pair of jumpseats in the back where do they put the :"&#%$ batteries?

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,714
    "I can't see how the company is making money"

It's easy, they aren't:

"Shares of Tesla (TSLA) rebounded Friday, after their biggest one-day drop in more than a year. The stock had fallen 9% after Tesla announced a $75 million loss late Wednesday. "
  • Options
    The batteries are built into the chassis. Pretty slick looking. (gtcarlot.com)
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    It's an Ogle SX1000.
    (I got a book for Christmas called the world's worst cars, and this one is in there.

I was doing a preliminary skim of the latest Automobile magazine and noted that one of these went for $23.5K at the RM Auctions. One of the world's worst cars or not, someone wanted one.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options

• Options
    New Jeep Juke Cherokee.

Shockingly daring, I doubt former Cherokee owners will accept this wild style.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    Not just options, but a different model than the base $60k (I think more like 55k, isn't it?). I'm still waiting to see someone test the base model. Is it even out yet? I can't tell since all the mags focus on the top-zoot one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Gotta keep up with the flamboyant CUV stylists. I take it this is the Cherokee (Liberty) and not Grand Cherokee, which actually is nice looking.
  • Options
    Yes, it is basically a replacement for the discontinued Jeep Liberty with no relationship to the Grand Cherokee. Former Cherokee owners don't like the fact that it is passenger car based (Alfa Giulietta!) and thus lacks the live axles that gave the old Cherokee so much off road capability.

I'd reserve judgement since I don't think most Cherokees were used much off the road but more as an all-weather tall station wagon. The weird frontal styling might look better in the metal... or not.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Tesla lists a 40 KWh Model S starting at $52,400, but we say the base is $59,900. Not sure what the disconnect there is. Oh, you're right, the "base" base isn't available yet, so your cheapest choice is the 60 KWh one (and Tesla has that listed for $64,000 now).

The Model S Performance that Edmunds got starts at $87,400.

Elon should throw in 10 shares of stock for that price.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited February 2013
    When I read the Edmunds info, I wondered if Tesla knew the car was going to Edmunds..., or was it bought anonymously in someone's name? I.E., was the car specially prepped since it was going to a group that would be writing about their experiences.

And I think Edmunds should have bought a standard model. Getting the highest powered, loaded up boat sounds like what C&D, MT, and some other mags do. But that just reminds me of a magazine years back doing a specialty test between two exclusive models of already exclusive cars and doing at a lake in Sweden or somewhere. I had trouble relating to two cars of that type that I wouldn't find in a showroom in Muncie, IN. But then I'm not the average car buyer either.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Phil Reed does most of the car buying I think (a story the other day mentioned that he's purchased more than 100 cars for Edmunds). But someone had to put the $5,000 deposit down and it likely had an "identifiable" name on the check. So yeah, maybe we didn't get the Boeing batteries. :-)

On the other hand it's kind of hard to drive down to a dealer and pick one up. Looks like every Tesla is "specially prepped".

At least we drive cars around LA and take them on road trips over a year, even if they are optioned up (if you don't get the options, how do you evaluate them?). I was pleasantly surprised when a Quest was added to the fleet last year. And more "normal" test cars would be good - of course out in LA, BMWs are "normal". I rarely see one up my way.
  • Options
    > BMWs are "normal". I rarely see one up my way.

I see a BMW all the time. My neighbor, who does car repair work in between his other job, has had one sitting in my driveway for months now. Apparently it's not repairable or expensive to do and the owner is waiting--who knows, I haven't asked him about it yet.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Cherokee---Looks like a 4-wheel soda machine.

Tesla -- they may go belly up but they will be remembered for doing one significant thing that nobody ever did before them----they made an electric car that was every bit as good (or better) than a gasoline car. In other words, they gave consumers a reason to buy one.

Problem is, this pricing structure for Tesla is BMW/Lexus territory, not Volt/Prius territory.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The top part looks like extrapolation on the Mustang's taillights from some years.
    The lower part looks, well, it just looks... Take off the chrome and the lower might be better, BUT the lower and the upper are far out of balance, as are several cars these days. Or maybe that art appreciation class I took in my college days is taking me down the wrong thinking track. The forté of Jeep was a wholesome look that looked like a rough and tough vehicle. This front end does not look that way.

• Options
    I think it might be some kind of reaction to the goofy stuff coming out of Toyota and Nissan lately. I also do get a dose of Fiat in it, who has a history of sometimes being wacky, themselves. It's essentially a Liberty, which was never very rough and tumble. I guess this thing will show how much image drives sales.