Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• 442man442man Member Posts: 210
    ....."Now, you are beginning to sound just plain silly.
    Based on your logic, I guess every American V8 out there has had some link to more mundane duty. ...."

The 6 liter V8 in GTO/Monaro is exclusive to that car, Vette and believe SSR truck. Unlike the 4.6 which powers taxi cabs to the towncar.

....." will agree that the GTO is more of a cruiser. That's not what I wanted, though. ....."

Agreed. I wanted more of a cruiser, This GTO feels like mercedes and BMW 5 series in some ways, I don't race my GTO at a dragstrip or around a race track. This GTO has more then enough handling and braking for me. Everyday car. I only drive it about 8k to 10k miles a year.

......." GEAR? They also blasted the 'vette. My guess is they'd absolutely slam the GTO given the opportunity if they didn't like the 'vette"......

Yes, top gear does usually slam american cars... Actually since the Monaro is Austrailian/European as Vauxhall they didn't slam it too bad,
    For me there was too much cost cutting in the Mustang. No locking gas cap door, mast antenna radio, no hood struts, have to use prop rod. Consumer Reports, Car and Driver and Forbes said GT interior was CHEAP/LOW RENT. Useless backseat for adults for those that need it. No IRS, etc. This is FINE in a $20k car. But not in car that tops out at $30k loaded !!

But probably the most important reason I got the GTO is because it is a RARE vehicle, everybody and their brother already has a Mustang 200,000, and there are THOUSANDS more to come. Pretty soon they will be so common, nobody will care. Where as there are only 12,000 to 18,000 GTO's. All the GTO's are the good V8, not like 60 to 65%% of Mustangs that wimpy V6.

Also Higher insurance rates, younger people driving them/cracking them up. For me it was $200 more year for Mustang and it has 100 less hp. I have a perfect driving record for 4 yrs. no tix and have multi car discount, married etc.
    The only downsides to the GTO were the smaller trunk and having to use PREMIUM gas. However you can use Regular 87 in GTO. I only run 92+ The radio knob on the far right, but steering wheel controls. No cigarette/power adapater, only in the arm-rest. Blind spots when changing lanes in windows looking back, GT's are worse. Pain to get to backseat, but once there, it's like the front seats, lots of room.
    tayl0rd says......"And even when the heat cools off on the Mustang, still nobody will care about the GTO except GTO owners".....

Thats your opinion. GTO sells very well in Austrailia, England, etc. In my opinion Knowbody will care about the dime a dozen, 50 in each mall parking lot RENT-A-Stang except Mustang owners and Avis. The majority which are Cheesey V6 Automatics. Sorry but like you, I don't want a car that that everyone has like a Taurus,Camry, Accord. And a car that can be rented by anyone.

Just went to a 500+ car show around here, 3 GTO's, and about 50+ mustangs. More people looking at GTO's, more rare!!

I like to be distinctive, not like Stang owners...
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    ....."The 6 liter V8 in GTO/Monaro is exclusive to that car, Vette and believe SSR truck..."

I believe it is also used in the Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT... but I could be wrong... that could be a different 6.0 liter engine.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Thats your opinion. GTO sells very well in Austrailia, England, etc.

Don't know where you are, but I'm in the good ol' U.S. of A., and nobody cares about the GTO here except the people who bought one. And the "GTO" doesn't sell anywhere except here. Everywhere else, it is what it is; a Monaro.
    I believe it is also used in the Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT... but I could be wrong... that could be a different 6.0 liter engine.

...not to mention the Trailblazer SS, and more than like will also end up in the CTS-V and Silvarado SS. That's a lot of trucks hosting that engine. What's that all about??
    ....."I believe it is also used in the Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT... but I could be wrong... that could be a different 6.0 liter engine......"

The 6.0 Liter engine used in the Escalade, ESV and EXT is a Vortec 6 Liter with 345hp, NOT the same engine as the Vette, monaro/Corvette and SSR truck.

CTS-V still uses the 5.7L V8
    ......"That's a lot of trucks hosting that engine. What's that all about??"......

The 6 liter is new for 2005, hasn't been around since 1990 with many mods like the 4.6L Taxi-cab Crown Vic engine.

The Trailblazer SS will get the cylinder deactivation mode like the HEMI V8
  • gottabgtogottabgto Member Posts: 95
    I have always found the interior of the Mustangs to be cheap and tacky.
    I felt that way about Mustangs long before I even considered a GTO, and for the record, I come from a long line of Ford enthusiasts.
    I think the exterior is fairly nice but I could never live with that interior.
    ....."About as much as it hurts you guys to know the Mustang is waaaaaay more popular than this GTO will ever hope to be and will be around loooong after the GTO is abandoned, again....."

It doesn't hurt me to have a car that is a dime a dozen like Camry-Accords-rental cars. Or to pay the ridiculous high over MSRP, got to have it Or PAY the HIGH insurance premiums the Mustang V8 commands. More to insure then GTO. All the kids driving them, drive up the price. Actually a Corvette is CHEAPER then a Mustang to insure, funny!!

Makes the GTO more of a collectors item. As it stands now 1960's and early 1970's GTO are worth more then Mustangs of same era from a collectors point of view. At least I don't see 10 GTO's in every parking lot.
    Actually many people have come up to me and said nice car.. so it stands out to more people then just GTO owners... I attend many cars shows... IN fact most of the people coming up are on the regular road or at a light.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=93320

Sorry the GTO interior is more upscale, higher quality, better seats.

I don't see why this point is even being debated. For one thing, this should be obvious to anyone except the blind and for another, the GTO costs more, so everything is inline with expectations. I don't see a point in bringing this up unless either the cars cost the same or the Mustang folks denied this fact.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Sorry but like you, I don't want a car that that everyone has like a Taurus,Camry, Accord. And a car that can be rented by anyone.

You know what's funny? I agree on GTO vs Mustang. But that's not what's funny. What's funny is, one of my favorite cars, the Chrysler 300C (especially that SRT-8) resides on the Mustang side in terms of rentals, and being seen everywhere. Yet I still viciously desire one. Maybe it's because the 300's purpose is not to be a sporty icon car like the Mustang, but to be a relatively affordable "nice" car, and in the case of the SRT-8, offer world class performance, seating for 5, all for just under $40k. So maybe it's not the same as comparing to the Mustang.
    It doesn't hurt me to have a car that is a dime a dozen like Camry-Accords-rental cars.

So what makes you think it hurts us that the GTO has the same corporate engine and transmission as the Corvette? I had a Chevy S10 with that same transmission. So what? The Trans Am and Z28 had the Corvette powertrain, too. So what? That obviously didn't do them any good, either.
    Same thing, A corvette for me, is cheaper to INSURE then a top of the line 350hp Transam was in 2002. Go figure? Vette costs a lot more to replace. It's the kids cracking them up. Older more mature people driving vette or GTO.
    I'm is the USA too and I can't go anywhere without people checking out my car, coming up and asking what it is, how fast, etc.

So, I guess it attracts more people (other than owners) than you think.
    Oh - I also get Mustang drivers attention on a regular basis (there are sooo many of you out there).
    ...."The Trans Am and Z28 had the Corvette powertrain, too. So what? That obviously didn't do them any good, either".....

The std F body had the 3.4 then 3.8 V6. V8 was OPTIONAL. They used to beat the stangs all the time. Too bad it was cancelled. Only the TOP of the line models had Vette drivetrain. Also I believe the F body were detuned by about 10 to 25 hp less then vette. F Body build quality was not so good, interiors were very cheap. Like the Mustangs of the same era.

GTO far and away blows the F Body away in comfort, interior quality, quietness, build quality etc. It's like night and day. Do 100mph in Fbody then do it in GTO, GTO much more stable, quiet etc.
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    I guess you could consider me one of those "kids" who buys Mustangs. But, let me tell you what I know.
    Seeming that I am a young one, my 1st mustang was a 98 V6.
    Car 2 was a 2003 10th Anniversary SVT Cobra
    Car 3 a 2002 Z06 Vette, aftermarket workdone (450HP)
    Car 4 2001 Neon RT (irrelevant car...beater...for work) ANYWAY
    Car 5 and present car 05 Mustang GT.

I've owned all those cars, (yes im young, but wealthy family if your wondering, and good job) and a friend of mine had... HAD a GTO. So I drove it.

Yes, the 98 V6 was slow, but hey, its a decent car for someone without too much money. The Cobra, there was a FAST car, head to the seat acceleration.. etc. Handled decent.
    Vette...honestly, sucked on every bump, dip and variation in road. I sat so low, felt like I was driving a Luge.
    GTO - well drove somewhat better then the vette, but when a Vette goes by, you know its a Vette, when a GTO goes by, you have to try to figure out what it is. It has no distinct design to it that sets it apart from other cars. When a mustang goes by, you KNOW its a mustang.
    GTO rides choppy.

05 GT, well definitly a smooth ride. Firm and responsive on handling. Ford did great bringing back remnants of the past with the interior gauges and design.

Not to mention the 05 GT actually has a better 0-60 time the the 03-04 SVT Cobra, with its 390 HP. Imagine that.
    Well, if you ask most people, they dont even know that Pontiac came back with a GTO, because NO ONE cares, but ask someone about the new Mustang, and your first response you get is... "Oh yeah, the one that looks like the old 69's, its really nice"

If I see a GTO on the road, I'll take it up for challenge any day!
    I can't go anywhere without people ..., coming up and asking what it is...

Precisely.

...Mustang drivers... (there are sooo many of you out there).

Precisely.
    Guess I'd have to ask you to define 'choppy'.
    Not a term I'd ever associate with the smooth yet thrilling ride I get in my GTO.
    The std F body had the 3.4 then 3.8 V6. V8 was OPTIONAL. ...Only the TOP of the line models had Vette drivetrain.

That's why I said Trans Am and Z28, not Firebird and Camaro. And the V6 Mustang was quicker than the V6 F-body; less weight. The Trans Am and Z28 had the exact same powertrain as the Corvette, not a detuned one. You might want to check out the LS1 zealot forums for proof.
    ....."GTO - well drove somewhat better then the vette, but when a Vette goes by, you know its a Vette, when a GTO goes by, you have to try to figure out what it is. It has no distinct design to it that sets it apart from other cars".....

Good, I like Sleepers. Cars like the Mustang can attract the wrong attention, like cops etc. Besides it clearly says GTO embossed in BIG letters at the back bottom of the car. Pretty easy to see.

...."Well, if you ask most people, they dont even know that Pontiac came back with a GTO, because NO ONE cares".....

Your take/opinion on it, not fact. In fact when I tell people they have a GTO they are amazed and want to see it. It didn't help that GM really didn't advertise the car.

...."GTO rides choppy"..... .

Again, says you. My 2005 doesn't ride choppy, and it certainly rides a lot better and is more comfortable on long trips then 2005 Stang. At least I can fit 4 adults comfortably in GTO, unlike Stang.

...."Not to mention the 05 GT actually has a better 0-60 time the the 03-04 SVT Cobra, with its 390 HP. Imagine that". .....

NO, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time are better on the Cobra then the 2005 Mustang. 90hp dif. check your facts. Cobra ran a 12.9 1/4 vs 13.8 for 2005. Big dif. C&D numbers
    You mean to tell me you like the fact that your car is so common?

Wow.

Have fun then.

Perhaps they should rename it to the lemmingmobile...
    Tayl0rd says......."The Trans Am and Z28 had the exact same powertrain as the Corvette, not a detuned one. You might want to check out the LS1 zealot forums for proof"......

Corvette differed in that it had a slightly different cam, exhaust, and air box (intake), and drive by wire. Everything else is pretty much the same. Yeah pretty much the same. About the same horsepower too. From 1998 and on.
    I'm in the USA too, but do a lot of world traveling.....There a different versions of the Monaro, including the TOP of the line Vauxhaull Monaro VXR which can do 180 mph drag limited with the same 6 Liter 400hp V8 we have. It also gets more creature comforts like heated seats, navigation, sunroof etc. There are the cheaper versions too.

BTW... the VXR sold out in it's first 3 months in production in England. So the car is not the Sales failure people claim it to be. Holden is making good $$ on it.
    ......"Everywhere else, it is what it is; a Monaro"......

Yep and it's often compared to the likes of BMW and Mercedes. It competed very well against BMW in Austrailia. You will ever see a Mustang compared to those 2 marques... Not enough quality etc. In fact Car and Driver compared 2004 GTO to AMG or E55 Mercedes and GTO did very well against it, IMPRESSIVE.

Me as a former 5 series BMW driver.. I have to agree.

The funny thing is that many GTO buyers I know have traded in their BMW/Mercedes etc for GTO. Seems to be a more affluent older crowd buying GTO, hopefully insurance rates will stay down.
    The GTO at 162 mph electronic governor is only pulling 4000 rpm. Governor is anywhere from 158 to 162mph. Removed It should do 170 to 180mph drag limited.

Where as the 2005 Mustang is DRAG limited at 140mph, can't go any faster, no limiter, pathetic. Nissan Maxima with governor removed can go nearly 150mph+
    ....." mean to tell me you like the fact that your car is so common? ".....

Some people like to follow the herd, I don't like rent-a-cars like Stang or common cars like Cam-Accord-Taurus-mustang. But to Each Their Own.
    Seems to be a more affluent older crowd buying GTO

yadda, yadda. I have yet to see a "more affluent older" person driving a GTO. Everytime I see one, the guy looks younger than me, and probably lives in an apartment somewhere. And when it comes down to it, when you add in all the incentives, the GTO is probably easier and cheaper to buy than a Mustang GT. That's probably why all I ever see driving them is young guys.
    Also another deal sealer was the STOCK exhaust note. The GTO has a much better sounding exhaust to me. Deeper more rumble. Many times I drive with the radio off to hear it. Mustang V8 is nice too, but not the same. GTO sounds like a 1960's muscle car. Esp at hard throttle.

The V6 exhaust doesn't sound so good on V6 mustang as would be expected.
    ....."yadda, yadda. I have yet to see a "more affluent older" person driving a GTO. Everytime I see one, the guy looks younger than me, and probably lives in an apartment somewhere...."

yadda, yadda as well.... I've seen many Mustangs parked in apartment lots, so go figure. NO GTO's yet. Most of the stangs are in the High school lot & College parking lots by me and college age students, most of them are wimpy V6 models.

The rare GTO's I see are not driven by HS or college kids. Seems to be older.
    ....."What's funny is, one of my favorite cars, the Chrysler 300C (especially that SRT-8) resides on the Mustang side in terms of rentals".....

Most of those 300 rentals are the wimpy V6 version, NOT the HEMI. The problem with the SRT-8 is that it looks too much like the regular 300C. BTW.. I like the 300C too.

As you know rentals drive down the resale value of a car
    Also another deal sealer was the STOCK exhaust note. The GTO has a much better sounding exhaust to me. Deeper more rumble.

That's a matter of opinion. But I should hope the GTO sounds deeper considering those huge 5.7L and 6L engines in them.
    The problem with the SRT-8 is that it looks too much like the regular 300C.

But I thought you liked sleepers?
    ......"the GTO costs more, so everything is inline with expectations. I don't see a point in bringing this up unless either the cars cost the same or the Mustang folks denied this fact"......

Many Mustang owners on here have denied this fact of the GTO interior/seats being better and BTW....

GT at $28k, closer to $30k with MSRP and ridiculous Dealer mark-ups
    GTO at $31.5k.. with employee discount etc

Both cars are much closer in price then some think.
    tayl0rd writes....."But I thought you liked sleepers?"....

Whoever said the 300C was a sleeper, it stands out. What I said is that the SRT-8 doesn't have enough dif in it. Just like the GT vs V6 Mustang for the avg Joe. I can tell the dif.
    It's just like the people that think because the Mustang sells better it's the better car then the GTO. Quality over Quantity anytime.

Heck if that was the case, the F150 is the Best vehicle in the world because it sells the best. Or Bic pens are better then Mount Blanc pens. Or McDonalds is better then Peter Lugers/Mortons because they sell more. Give me a break.

Crossfire only sells the same or LESS then GTO, but I guess it's a failure too, right?
    2003-04 SVT Cobra when you purchase the vehicle says 0-60 in 5.4 secs.
    2005 Mustang 0-60 time is rated 5.2

Not much of a difference, but numbers dont lie.

Also, for those of you pissing and moaning about Ford having to supercharge their mustangs to get power... HELLO
    Anyone remember the 2000 SVT Cobra R?
    5.4 L Engine. ( NOT SUPERCHARGED)
    385 HP
    Top Speed of over 170 MPH.

I do believe if Ford wanted to make a car, that could get 400HP with no blower, THEY CAN.
    GTO is a 6.0 L engine, if Ford used one, they'd be over 400HP.
  • sensaisensai Member Posts: 129
    If you really believe a 05 Mustang is going to beat a 03/04 Cobra at any speed, I have a lot of bridges to sell you.

I personally do not have a problem with Ford supercharging engines. I owned a SC 3800 so I understand that it is an easy way to make power and makes for great modability (if your into that).

That being said, I am in the camp of Ford cannot do 400hp normally aspirated, at least in a reasonably priced car. Their 4.6 is already physically bigger, heavier, more costly to build, less fuel efficient, and down horsepower on the LS2. Getting it up to 400hp NA is going to add a lot of cost to the car, which is something they obviously do not want to do. Using the 5.4 is going to only exaggerate the problems I just mentioned. Ironic that the Mustang guys are complaining about the GTOs weight, but the estimated for the new Shelby which will use the 5.4 keep going up - almost 3900 pounds was the latest I saw.
    I'm not saying the 05 GT will BEAT the Cobra, I'm simply saying off the line, it is quicker. I know first hand. The 2003 Cobra that I owned I sold to my brother. Him and I just went street racing the other night. 3 times, yes he beats me. But off the line, I had him all 3 times til about 2-3rd gear. Thats all I'm saying.

A car is only as good as its driver.
    To each their own.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    It's sounding more and more like a bunch of 16 year olds arguing the same thing over and over. My car is faster than yours. You guys can't enjoy driving what you own and have to try and belittle anyone that has a different opinion? And you don't think for one minute that if GM could sell 200,000 GTO's per year that they would turn down the oportunity? Please.
    Even if the GTO had a waiting list to buy GM can't sell anymore then 18,000 GT0 max under their labor agreement, because of it being imported from down under.
    ....."I do believe if Ford wanted to make a car, that could get 400HP with no blower, THEY CAN.
    GTO is a 6.0 L engine, if Ford used one, they'd be over 400HP.".....

They haven't yet. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Wasn't the Cobra SVT R nearly $40k in price? It also had IRS.
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    57 yrs old here. Retired.2005 m6 GTO. Also own Mercedes Ml 320 and 560sel, after BMW 635 and 750il...yadda...yadda....
    ......."Ironic that the Mustang guys are complaining about the GTOs weight, but the estimated for the new Shelby which will use the 5.4 keep going up - almost 3900 pounds was the latest I saw"......

Exactly... the Shelby GT500 will weigh the SAME or MORE then GTO and cost more, $40k+ and be around 58% 42%. Weight distribution It gains 150 to 200 pounds in the front.
    The V8 Stang owners that run their fogs in the grille at night are already getting ticketed, in certain states, you can NOT have the foglights or external lights as the same height/level as the regular headlights. They have to be lower. It depends on the cop too. Way to go Ford. I think the V6 without fog lights looks better. In certain states you can not run foglights at all unless their is fog.
    ....."That's a matter of opinion. But I should hope the GTO sounds deeper considering those huge 5.7L and 6L engines in them".....

Actually Car and Driver said the GTO exhaust had a much deeper more angry, better exhaust note as well, so it's not just my opinion. This GTO has one of the best factory exhaust systems I have ever heard,.
    ......"I personally do not have a problem with Ford supercharging engines. I owned a SC 3800 so I understand that it is an easy way to make power and makes for great modability (if your into that)"....

Me neither, but let's put a supercharger on the GTO to compare apples to apples. If you put a magna charger "supercharger" on a Stock GTO with better tires you will run 11's and 12's in the 1/4 mile. Better then GT500. I hae seen 11.9 to 12.5 consistent 1/4's with supercharged GTO. Total price with charger is still under $40k. Cheaper then GT500. They will honor your factory warranty as well.
    ...."And when it comes down to it, when you add in all the incentives, the GTO is probably easier and cheaper to buy than a Mustang GT. That's probably why all I ever see driving them is young guys".......

Sorry, but the Mustang caters to a lower income crowd with it's base wimpy V6 and $19k starting price. You see them a dime a dozen in the High Schoo & College parking lots. The majority of Stang sales 65% are base V6/rentals. To each their own. At least every GTO on the road is the real deal, 400hp V8. No wimpy V6's... As for GTO incentives, Employee discount this month and $1k rebate, not much.
This discussion has been closed.