Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My kids are 3 and 6. The 6 year old is a 95 percentile sized kid, i.e. a giant for her age.

I think she'd fit fine until she was a teenager. By then I'd be in another vehicle most likely.

I've been happy with both Fitz locations, though White Flint is closer so we usually go there. I think they will do a 24 hour drive, sure. Say hi to Maurice while you're there.

By the way, long time, no see. Remember you came over once for me to help troubleshoot an issue with your Forester? Say hi to Cindy.

-juice
  • Options
    oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    Thank you, foxbat121.

I have not made up my mind on whether to buy a Tribeca. My short list at the moment is Tribeca ($$$), Highlander V6 AWD ($$) and Highlander Hybrid ($$$$). I think Highlander V6 also uses premium gas (can anyone confirm this?). I have looked at all three, but not test driven any. The fact that I can get a Highlander V6 AWD at less than the amount that Fitzmall asks for a Tribeca 7-pass Ltd sways me a little toward the Highlander. But I agree with some of the ppl here that the exterior of Highlander is kind of dull. Plus, I heard that Toyota will come out with a new Highlander in 2007. I really don't know which one to get. Of course, I will have a better idea after test driving them.

I will check out other dealers in the area as suggested by you (but that requires some price haggling, which I am not good at). But I would not mind doing the haggling via e-mail. Do dealers in the area do deals over e-mail? I looked at the pricing at Herb Gordon Subaru in Silver Spring via subaru.com. Herb Gordon's internet prices on Tribeca are somewhat comparable to Fitzmall.

Some Tribeca (7-passenger, Ltd.) I found on the internet have "security system shock sensor" and "cargo tray" as installed options. Can you or Juice or anyone tell me what they are (what do they do)? Are they worth the extra money? As Juice alluded to, I drive a Forester. I love the auto dim rearview mirror with clock and compass. So the extra money I spent in getting that in my Forester was well worth it. I want to make sure that I will get my money worth with the "security system shock sensor" and "cargo tray" in a Tribeca.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi Juice,

Hi Juice,

Yes, long time no see. I will say hi to Cindy for you. Every now and then when I see a green Forester on the highway around here, I would think that it might be you. Thanks for helping me on the trouble shooting on my Forester a few (4?) years back. As it turned out. the wining noise that I told you about sort of went away (or got covered by other car noises as my 2001 Forester put on more mileage, about 40k miles so far). The bottom line is that no mechanical problem has developed so far.

I am thinking of replacing Cindy's Camry with an AWD vehicle (for the snowy days in the winter). I test drove a 2005 Legacy XT a few months ago. But Cindy did not like the fact that Legacy is not as roomy as her Camry. She also had concern over the quality of the interior of Subaru vehicles (her judgment was based on my Forester). I took her to Fitzmall looking at Highlanders, and by chance the salesman also showed us a Tribeca Ltd. After seeing the interior there, she would not mind us getting a Tribeca Ltd. We both did not like Highlanders or Tribeca without leather seats. I liked the 5-passenger Tribeca Ltd., but she likes the 7-passenger Tribeca Ltd. After reading your messages in this forum on the benefits of the 7-passenger version, I now agree with you that the 7-passenger version seems to be better (especially because of the additional air-conditioning in the rear). Does your rear air-conditioning unit benefit passenger seating on the second row? Or does it benefit only the third row? But if I am getting the 7-passenger version just for the rear air conditioning. That appears to be a lot of money for the rear air conditioning. What do you or others think? Any inputs are welcome.

Juice: Since you know the people at SOA, do you know whether and when they will introduce the turbo version of Tribeca? The low end torque of the boxer engine now may be not enough.

Thanks.
    Oldjayhawk
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Highlander price: Last time I checked, a similarly equiped Highlander is more expensive than Tribeca. Make sure you check all the options you needed to compare. IIRC, top of the line Highlander V6 AWD is $39k.

Dealers: almost all dealers haggling via email. That how I bought my last two Subarus. Use the dealer inventory on Subaru.com to ask for price on specific vehicle on dealer's lot that fits your need. I got mine for $500 over invoice at Farrish Subaru. Fitzmall is $700 over invoice and Stolhman is $600 over invoice.

Security sensor is a small piece of shock sensor. Basically, Subaru prewired most of the security system in the car sans the shock sensor. With it, the car alarm will go off if someone try to smash your car's window or hit your car with force. If you worried about your car get stollen, you may want this option. In my area (NoVA), there is no insurance discount for security system. So, I'm not even insterested in it.

Cargo tray is a piece of plastic tray for the rear cargo area so that you can put dirty stuff in there without worry about the floor getting dirty. It's quite useful but I don't know how they handle 3rd seats. I never see one in Tribeca (my old Outback comes with one standard). My guess is that you have to take it out if you decide to use 3rd row seat.
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    The rear a/c covers the 2nd & 3rd rows. There are 2 ceiling vents above each of the rear rows and a fan speed control is located on the rear of the center console.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the 3.3l V6 in the Highlander takes regular fuel. Be sure to price one with the optional 3rd row. Resale will be a lot easier.

Toyota does a-la-carte pricing. Subaru is more content-rich and one-price-fits-all, with just a few options. When you add things like leather, heated seats, bigger rims, moonroof, V6, AWD, etc. to a Highlander, the price is a wash. Buy the one you prefer.

I like the cargo liner, to keep the carpets clean.

Legacy's interior is much nicer than the Forester's, IMO. I own a Forester but I'm willing to admit that. Tribeca's is also.

Rear A/C in the Tribeca was great for my kids. I had a loaner for 4 days, we loved it. Make sure you can get comfy in the seats, sample the NAV, it's awesome. Wish we had that kind of auto budget right now, but we'll have to wait. I felt very poor crawling back in to my '98 Forester after having that Tribeca. :(

I don't think it "needs" any more power, the problem is Subaru makes so many nice turbos (all reach 60mph in 6 seconds or less) so loyal fans think the Tribeca should too. I think that's overkill. No idea if Subaru will do that.

-juice
  • Options
    I don't think it "needs" any more power, the problem is Subaru makes so many nice turbos (all reach 60mph in 6 seconds or less) so loyal fans think the Tribeca should too. I think that's overkill. No idea if Subaru will do that.

Let me rephrase my statement: it needs more low end torque not more horse power. Even my wife commented that from the dead stop, the Tribeca feels very slow to pick up speed even compare to her old 98 OB with only 165hp. Once moving, there is enough power for passing etc.
  • Options
    I found it more than fine during my 4 days with it. Maybe if I used the full towing capacity I'd feel differently, though.

-juice
  • Options
    The NAV sounds kind of nice. Between the NAV and DVD player, I would prefer the NAV. But if I buy the Tribeca, it would be for Cindy. She is not much into electronic gadgets. She likely would not use NAV or learn how to use it. I gather from the messages on this forum that the NAV is good for showing you the route to your destination. Would it alert you of a turn coming up? I don't think drivers can look at the NAV screen while driving. May be I am wrong. Do most users of NAV look at the NAV screen when at a stop light?
  • Options
    Security sensor in Tribeca:
    Are security sensors the things that cause the alarms of some cars to go off when a heavy truck rumbles by? If yes, does the alarm automatically shut off in Tribeca after a period, e.g. one minute? How long does it stay on? I am concern that it could be a while before I come back to the vehicle to turn off the alarm. Sort of a nuisance to people around.
  • Options
    All Navs have voice alert and turn by turn instructions. Very easy to use and don't need to look at screen at all. One advantage of factory integrated NAV is that when voice alert coming out, it will automatically mute whatever you're listening to.
  • Options
    Don't know since I don't have it in my Tribeca. However, my 03 WRX wagon has the system and it is very nicely designed. It rarely sounds alarm at all. Nothing like the ones you mentioned about. Those all poorly designed and installed 3rd party stuff.
  • Options
    tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    so given that the base MDX can now be purchased ~$32k, touring mdx for ~$34k, and the 7 seater tribeca limited for ~$31k, what are people's thoughts between these 3?
  • Options
    She might like it. You can just press the map button and it will show you the surrounding area on a map, quietly.

Enter a destination, just a street address, and hit the checkered flag to go and it will give voice commands and alert you of oncoming turns.

My wife isn't a techie either, but she loved it. It is very, very easy to use. It's a touch screen, you see a keyboard and enter a street number than a street name.

For example, you hit Destination, then enter "12345" and then "Tribeca Rd" and voila, it shows the house on a map. Hit the flag and you get a voice prompts to help you get there. It's so easy a trained monkey could operate it.

Try Audi's MMI or BMW's i-Drive, and you almost need a PhD to figure those out.

Subaru's system was quite easy though, she knows how to use a computer to this would be easy to figure out. Try it.

MDX Touring compares roughly to a Tribeca Limited in terms of equipment. Ask yourself if you like it $3000 better. MDX is bigger, but it's also heavier and less sporty. Tribeca is a fresh design.

-juice
  • Options
    philhedmundsphilhedmunds Member Posts: 14
    "MDX Touring compares roughly to a Tribeca Limited in terms of equipment. Ask yourself if you like it $3000 better. MDX is bigger, but it's also heavier and less sporty. Tribeca is a fresh design."

I think the thing that distinguishes the MDX Touring from the base MDX is the memory seats and mirrors, something that the Tribeca doesn't offer at all (sadly). True, the Tribeca has a standard power passenger seat which is missing from the base MDX, but otherwise, the base MDX seems to match up well to the Tribeca.

I have agree with your other comments on the MDX being bigger, bulkier and not as fresh looking.
  • Options
    You gotta get a Touring to get NAV or DVD entertainment, so I'd be comparing a Touring-DVD-RES to a Tribeca with those options. MSRP is $44k for the MDX and $38k for the Subaru. Both are discounted because the market is so hyper-competitive.

I think even with that equipment you can get a Subie for about $35k, the Acura for $38k or so.

Touring also gets you a 6CD changer, and Tribeca Limited has that standard. Not a big deal, really, but the DVD/NAV options are IMO.

Tribeca also has 18" rims, MDX are 17".

-juice
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    tyyeh0, check out my post here:
    rctennis3811, "MDX vs Tribeca (now that prices are very close)" #6, 6 Aug 2005 2:28 pm

Also, I'd choose the MDX over the B9 because of the proven quality.

JD Power results -

2005 Initial Quality Study (first 90 days of vehicle ownership)
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005069b.gif
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005069c.gif

2005 Vehicle Dependability Study (after 3 years of vehicle ownership)
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005089a.gif
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005089b.gif

2005 Customer Service Index (satisfaction)
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005092a.gif

With Subaru owners consistently stressing how well-made the their vehicles are, I just thought it logical to point this out. Not to say that the B9 isn't a well-made vehicle (in fact, it is of very high quality), but Acura has proven to produce high-quality vehicle whereas Subaru is slightly behind.
  • Options
    2 point difference separating Subaru from Acura. Subaru won, but only by a SLIGHT margin. Whereas in the JD Power tests, Subaru's margin from Acura is much greater.
  • Options
    Let's just say the reliability rating are very close. Personally, those numbers do not really mean much to me. I have owned 3 Subarus already. Compared to my friends MDX, those Subarus are trouble free. He got transmission recall (2nd gear problem in many Honda and Acura cars) and has to pay nearly $1k to fix the rear A/C (which is another quite common issue with MDX) for his 2001 MDX.

Like I said before, these two are very close. Each has ups and downs. It's really up to yourself to pick one you like.
  • Options
    From what I've seen, the problems found in the 2001 MDXs are now gone. Gone are the A/C problems, gone are the transmision problems, gone are the gas slosh problems.

This is our 3rd Acura. First came the Acura TL in 2004 along with the MDX, then we traded in the MDX for an 05 which we just gladly received.
  • Options
    tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    I keep hearing people describe Tribeca as more sporty, but the suspension is really soft...
    My wife gets car sick sitting or driving cars that have soft spring ratings. Is the MDX any better? I guess I have to go test drive it.
  • Options
    The Tribeca's suspension is not soft - it is just that is not
    harsh. I would describe the ride of my B9 as firm but supple.

It handles better than a BMW X5 but the ride is not as stiff.
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    DItto to Scoobie Doobie Doo... The ride is anything but soft! I compare it to my last to Saab's. The 9-3 with sport suspension and low profile tires was a stiffer sportier ride. My last 9-5 was regular tires and not so sporty... was is a softer ride? Yup. Was it bad? Nope. In fact is was just right. Kinda like the B9. Go drive one!
  • Options
    I have a 330i and had an X5 loaner once to drive around all day. After my test drive in a Tribeca, I would have to disagree with you. The Tribeca has more body roll in corners and has nose dive on braking, something I really didn't notice in the X5.

However, the softer suspension in the Tribeca doesn't put it out of the running as a car for my wife, and I certainly thought the Tribeca was sportier than the Highlander I test drove.
  • Options
    I think most ppl agree that the suspension of Tribeca is a perfect balance between handling and comfort. It's not as stiff as X5, Murano or FX35 but better than MDX, Pilot, RX330 and Highlander etc.
  • Options
    CR rated Subaru as the most reliable brand for the 2004 model year, so I certainly wouldn't use reliability to rule out a Subie. ;)

X5 rides very stiffly to achieve that flat stance. 5 series wagon has a much, much better ride, I'd suggest one of those if you want a Bimmer.

-juice
  • Options
    I have to agree that it has more body roll, but because of it's lower center of gravity it achieved a better score and higher speed in the emergency lane change test done by (I thijnk) RT in a recent review.

It also scored well well and better than most in emergency braking also.

So it may lean more in a turn but it still beat the BMW X5 V6 - for what ever thats worth.
  • Options
    Actually, the Bimmer has an in-line 6, not a V6. :-)

And before anyone says it the Subie has an H6 (horizontally opposed).

-juice
  • Options
    And before anyone says it the Subie has an H6 (horizontally opposed)

Hey! I represent that remark! :)
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I noticed in the topic that the VW Touareg is listed as one at the top with consumer rating. I just wanted to reiterate though that though I like the looks and some things about the Touareg msyelf it really isn't in the running with the B9 Tribeca.

The competition should really just be the top 6 rated midsize suvs recommended by Consumer reports which would be in order of overall rating.

1. Lexus RX 330
    2. Honda Pilot
    3. Toyota Highlander

then I think there may have been another suve that had the overall rating in the 4th spot but wasn't recommended meaning it didn't pass in some categories.
    so...
    4. Nissan Murano

then further down the list with a lower overall score but at least getting a recommended check were the:

5. Infiniti FX
    6. Acura MDX

there may have been like one other midsize suv with a recommended check mark and it might have been the Chrysler Pacifica but was even further down the list in overall score that I dont count it much plus dont care for it much.

Its tough when your favorite looking car doesn't even get a recommended check mark but CR is thee best thing to go by and is completely unbiased and test and rates everything thoroughly.

I'm hoping the B9 Tribeca gets not only recommended (which is likely as every Subaru model is and the Tribecas is based on the Outback/Legacy?) but also will be interesting to see how high of an overall score it gets in its first year. If its anywhere near the top 4 mention will be an amazing feat.
  • Options
    Generally they like all Subarus, so I don't see why Tribeca would be an exception.

-juice
  • Options
    Generally they like all Subarus

Talking about unbiased ;) Not that I have any problem with that.
  • Options
    "...it achieved a better score and higher speed in the emergency lane change test done by (I thijnk) RT in a recent review."

Can anybody direct me to this comparison test between the Tribeca and X5? It wasn't Road & Track, because I subscribe to that magazine. Was it Motor Trend? Is it online anywhere yet? Thanks.
  • Options
    Well, first year Baja models got a poor score in reliability, but later the same models recovered. They list all the other models as Best Bets (beyond just Recommended), but not the Baja.

-juice
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Here's the Detroit Free Press's recent review of a Highlander Hybrid.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    I have a Highlander but not the hybrid, but I've been following the discussion in the Highlander Hybrid board and I don't feel this review offers an accurate representation of the HH. To me the tone of the article is reminiscent of japanese car bashers who focus on some minor defect and use this to condemn the entire vehicle.

Some comments:

The author devotes a fair amount of the article to a few poorly fitting interior components. No one on the HH board has ever mentioned this, if it indeed exists.

Although others have occasionally complained about the styling of the cloth seats on the HL, the article can be misleading in inferring that leather seats are not available on the HH; they are.

Although actual fuel economy falling short of EPA estimates is by far the most significant, and a very major, gripe of people on the HH boards, it should be noted that while the author says he got around 21mpg in mixed city and highway driving; the vast majority on the HH board report getting around 26mpg.

Here's how I'd summarize what people have been saying on the HH boards:

Its a neat automobile, handles very nicely, and has excellent acceleration (even better than a conventional V6 HL, which is saying alot).

The big major disappointment is the less than EPA city mileage being realized, as noted above. This, when coupled with the increased purchase cost of the HH when compared with the non-hybrid HL, means you'll have to wait maybe 10 years or more to break even on the improved fuel economy, so its apparently not a cost-effective purchase.

Otherwise, most seem pleased with the HH, although there is some apprehension as to what the cost will be to replace the battery packs when they go out around 6 years down the road.

I personally am 100% satisfied with my (non-hybrid) HL; its a car that people fall in love with.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Yes, that reviewer often seems overly critical of Japanese brands. I agree that the hybrid is probably not worth it (even with 26mpg & improved acceleration). Highlander seems like a relatively solid value if you can negotiate a good price. Styling may turn some off because it's fairly conservative... opposite end of the spectrum of the B9 Tribeca, which will turn some off because of its fairly unusual styling.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Subara built a nice vehicle. The styling, especially front end, is an acquired taste. I like the rest of it, looks wise, and certainly better looking than the staid Highlander. I found it to drive exceptionally well. Almost up there with the Touareg and as good as an Endeavor or RX330 (but each different in their own ways). Reasonable and smooth pickup, and a nice balance between comfort and handling. Steering felt a little heavy to me when up to speed- but everyone's tastes are different. The interior is well thought out, with a nice use of space- and I like the second row seats that slide fore and aft (like in the Equinox/Torrent). And, I think the 8.4" of ground clearance and their AWD system will be good enough for my offroading needs- which aren't extreme.

However, there are a few things that would prevent me from buying the car.
    1. I live in Tucson. The AC just isn't strong enough. The air never got very cold and it was 'only' about 95F when I test drove it. What happens when it's 110F?
    2. No driver's seat memory. Just too annoying not to have if you're sharing a vehicle. I love my chevy that operates indivdually off of the key fob. sweet.

No vehicle is perfect- but if they could just fix these items, I'd have a candidate for me to buy. Right now I'm going nuts trying to find a vehicle that I like well enough to blow $30-$40K on.
  • Options
    tigger5753tigger5753 Member Posts: 43
    Got this from the Nissannews.com site - to throw more options to consider in this debate:

Murano

The 2006 Nissan Murano crossover sport utility vehicle combines the uncompromising functional aspects of a true SUV with the ride comfort of a sport sedan in a highly refined, well-equipped package. Murano comes standard with a 245-horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC V6 for superior acceleration and offers standard Nissan’s Xtronic™ CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), which provides smooth, quiet, responsive acceleration while virtually eliminating shift shock and providing better gas mileage than conventional automatic transmissions.

Enhancements to the 2006 Murano:
    · New wheel design and restyled front grille
    · Brushed aluminum roof rail (SE)
    · Chrome accent lower front bumper
    · Chrome accent fog lamp rings and side sills (SL, SE)
    · Brushed aluminum rear bumper protector
    · LED rear combination lamps
    · Enhanced driver instrumentation to improve both daytime and nighttime visibility
    · 7-inch LCD color display standard on all models
    · Audio system adds the ability to play mp3 CDs
    · Illuminated steering wheel controls
    · Added Advanced Air Bag System (AABS)
    · RearView Monitor standard on SL and SE
    · New Leather Package
    · New interior color – Hazelnut, and new exterior colors – Sunset Red and Brilliant Silver
  • Options
    1. I live in Tucson. The AC just isn't strong enough. The air never got very cold and it was 'only' about 95F when I test drove it. What happens when it's 110F?

Did you have recirculation on or off? In auto mode, the A/C will turn off the recirculation when the temp is a few degrees close to your desired temp. What I found out is that if outside is hot (like 95F), the vent let in too much hot air so you never feel it is cold enough. Manually turn on the the recir button solved my problem. I hope the software for the automatic climate control is smart enough so that when temp difference is too big, it should not try to turn off recirulation.
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    For the money, this isn't a bad car is it? Good engine, equipment and styling. OK it may not have the best badge in the world but it will certainly get the attention! Should be a reliable car and easily cope when piling on the miles, meant to be getting the European set up soon in tha US, a friend drove it and was delighted with it, it was powerful on the motorway and soon reached 100mph, economy was good and the transmisson was a smooth as a babies bottom! So i was told....
  • Options
    Sure the Murano is a reasonable choice... so is the Tribeca. Subaru is know for its reliability and longevity. Nissan recently went through some very difficult times. I was considering the Armada when it first came out and it had all sorts of trouble for about a year. That said the Murano is selling well and would be a fine choice as would the Pilot and Highlander. They all have thier place.
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Subaru is know for its reliability and longevity.
    Really..?
    I thought Honda and Toyota were.
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    None of these cars should give you any reliability problems. Nissan have brought it to the UK and have made over 300 changes to suspension etc and i did read somwhere that the US will be getting these modifictations. Not seen many Muranos on the roads though but i think thats because it doesnt offer a diesel engine so people avoid it. The Subaru i wouldnt see doing that well here either because doesnt have the badge but there does the Nissan. The new B9 isnt attractive to look at, so people wont give it a second thought. People here who buy these 4X4s buy them for their styling and image.
  • Options
    They had some issues but Carlos Ghosn sent a flock of engineers to that plant and scores have improved since then. I think it's behind them for the most part.

Subaru was CR's most reliable brand for MY2004, ahead of Lexus and Infiniti.

Neither of these are what I would call a reliability risky.

-juice
  • Options
    steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    According to Car and Driver, NO navigation system is available currently on the Tribeca, and they docked Subaru for that.........as a matter of fact they were happy with the Tribeca, but not real happy ........I got the feeling after reading the article that Subaru did not hit a home run with this one.........
  • Options
    What do they call that thing in my Tribeca that talks to me and tells me to turn here - exit there etc. It is either a wife which I don't have or a navigation system that Subaru put in my car:-)
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    Odd because I swear the one I had for 4 days kept giving me directions, too.

Double-check your source, they certainly do have NAV, in fact many, many Edmunds members have opted for NAV on their Tribecas. The system is fantastic IMO.

-juice
  • Options
    jabbottjabbott Member Posts: 14
    Do your pricing carefully. On the Murano, Electronic Stability Control is listed as a $750 option. In order to buy it, however, you must buy $5,000 worth of options, wether you want them or not.
This discussion has been closed.