Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mltsurgermltsurger Member Posts: 102
    I just had the Michelin Primacy MXV4's installed at Costco.I can't believe the difference.They are quiet and the Tramlining is resolved.The car was fun to drive before,now fun and safe.I have a M45 X 2008. This change is something the dealers and the company should stand behind,they don't even consider it a problem.Credibility issue ! Gotta go,I have another errand to run in the M.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    No reason to turn it off.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    in four years, i've never turned the mirror off...

M35 does not rattle...something must be broken/loose under your dash. I couldn't even guess why they need the car for 5 days....sounds a bit strange. If they don't solve the problem this time, I would ask to bring the car in when the infiniti service rep is at the dealer....let him help you resolve the problem.

The OEM tires on the M35 are awful in my (and many others) opinion but I suppose they are "legal" so Infiniti has chosen to treat the trammeliing issue as "normal". Although it doesn't help you, i believe the 2011 M's have Primacy tires as standard equipment.
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2010
    Sorry to hear this, keep in mind all dealerships are independent and don't always reflect the same level of customer service from dealer to dealer (which is unfortunate, but a reality). Or if you are close to another dealer see if you can just take it there.
    On my 7 month old ' 09M35 I don't have a single rattle. I did notice some what rough shifting from 4th to 3th gear, brought in, got brand new '10 G37 as a loaner. Got call in about 2 hours, (it was just a software update, but shifts much smoothly now) car was washed, cleaned and what not...
    Received exceptional service!
  • microb1microb1 Member Posts: 1
    Nissan and infinity ABS systems require a boost reset when the brakes are replaced, fluid flushed and lines bled. The shop probably forgot to do the reset.

It happened to me on an I30 years ago.

Hope this helps
  • lsmdlsmd Member Posts: 4
    I have 4 primacy mxv4's on my 2008 m45x. Had to replace the originals at 23000 mi. These now have 22000 mi, look to be about half worn, very quiet, no problems. Bought at Discount Tire in Michigan for about 900 installed, lifetime balancing and rotation.
  • lsmdlsmd Member Posts: 4
    What are you doing to get 22 mpg? I have the same car--2008 M45x with the 5 speed trans---only in sedate highway driving at 55 mph do I ever approach 20 mpg--usually 15-17.5. Does this mean I'm having too much fun with the car?
  • southbay1southbay1 Member Posts: 9
    Your mileage experience is consistent with what I get on my '06 M35 Sport. Highway driving (ave 80 MPH - thank you Valentine One!) comes in at about 23-24 MPG while in town it's anywhere from 14-17 MPG.

I understand Infiniti set the car up this way on purpose to keep with the sporting pedigree and I suspect the extra gear in the newer models makes a big difference in mileage.

As a side note, I decided to try 87 octane fuel and haven't noticed any impact to mileage or performance over the past couple of months.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    It sound similar to what I used to get. I had a 2006 M35X. Maybe a mile or two less with the 4 wheel version. It used allot of gas in city driving with the a/c on. It's is a big car with low gearing. The cost of ownership was OK because it was reliable. My negative issues were the trammeling and harsh ride.

Let's see the reports on the 2011 M37s. Reports from owners count not the auto press.
  • mklempmklemp Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 M35 with 42K miles. While driving today, the engine stopped responding to the accelerator. I pushed the accelerator to the floor and tried pumping the pedal and nothing. The engine sat at an idle and would not respond. Then, the car had a mind of its own and would accelerate while I'm standing on the brakes. It made for a pretty scary ride and I managed to make it to the shop without killing anyone.

The check engine light came on and the dealership is scheduled to run diagnostics on the car tomorrow. While I've enjoyed owning the car, the out of control condition is not one that I will soon forget and fear that the vehicle is not safe. The car is just beyond it's warranty period and I really don't want to spend alot of money trying to fix a death trap. Is this a commonly reported condition?
    Have not heard of it happening...but you definitely should report it to NHTSA.
  • mltsurgermltsurger Member Posts: 102
    Sounds scary,I am glad you are O.K.,I have not heard of this in an Infinity before.I certainly would think something got in the linkage .I would also check to see if you are up to date with disability and Life insurance.Good Luck. Keep us posted,I have an 2008 M45x
    Follow up: The throttle position sensor failed and was sending incorrect information to the car's computer that I was trying to accelerate. The cost to fix was $500. You would think that the brake pedal would override this condition. So, you too could have the opportunity to be standing on the brakes while the tach is registering 2500 rpms. I can't believe that we've replaced a simple cable from the gas pedal to the carburetor with a complex computer controlled system that can put lives at risk.
    Please report this to the NTSHA....it is something that should not happen and a fundamental design flaw with severe safety implications.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    I spoke with my dealer service manager. They have replaced a couple of positioning sensors, however the symptom was that the car would not move...which is, according to him, the default if the sensor is sending bad info. Further he says that Nissan told them that brake override is implemented in the M series software.

It sounds like when you put your foot on the brake, the car didn't keep accelerating???? (which is good, but not as Nissan explains how brake override and bad positioning sensors are supposed to be handled).

That's why a NHTSB report is so important. If there is a problem, Nissan should fix the software in all M's.....
    NHTSA Complaint ID: 10341107

I have a 2006 Infiniti M35 with 42K miles. While driving, the engine stopped responding to the accelerator. I pushed the accelerator to the floor and tried pumping the pedal and nothing. The engine sat at an idle and would not respond. As I approached a stop light with stopped traffic and began to apply the brakes, the car began to accelerate by itself. Let me be clear that I was applying the brakes and felt the brakes beginning to slow the vehicle when the engine began to race. I was able to overcome the engine trying to accelerate and bring the car to a stop without impacting other traffic. But, I was sitting parked at the stop light with the brake mashed to the floor while the engine tachometer continued to register 2500 RPMs.

I managed to make it to the nearby dealership where I bought the vehicle. Along the way, the engine RPMs continued to jump erratically causing sudden uncontrolled acceleration. The dealership performed diagnostics on the car and determined that the throttle position sensor had failed and was sending erroneous data to the car’s computer.

In my view, this vehicle has fundamental engineering and design flaws that present a risk to the larger public when a sensor failure can cause sudden uncontrolled acceleration. Moreover, when applying the brakes does not override the programming logic and stop the engine from racing, there is obviously a greater opportunity for improved safety logic. While, I managed to safely navigate the resulting hazards this time, next time I may not be so lucky.
    I've had trouble twice linking my iphone (3gs) to my M37 with the cable. The phone doesn't link for music and this time it kept giving me a message that my phone was incompatible and even though I said dismiss, it gave me the message again...a loop which made noise every time the message reappeared.

I'm posting this so that anyone who has the same problem knows how to fix it because the dealers have no idea.

On your iphone, select settings, select general, select reset, select reset Network settings....say OK and wait for the iphone to reboot.

I hope this post helps someone....
    I just received a notice that Infiniti has an update for M37/56's for iphone/ipod users.....take the car to the dealer for a free software update (takes about an hour).
  • j21mj21m Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2010
    Is there a fix for this phone? I called Infiniti "help" and they told me to do a battery "pull" on the phone....works better, but the phone says "connected to audio" and not "paired"???

Help!
  • reoiiireoiii Member Posts: 1
    JUST BOUGHT 2007 M35 WITH 90K MILES. CAN ANYONE BRIEF ME ON TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT COST, IMPORTANCE AT THIS MILEAGE, ETC. THANKS FOR THE HELP!
  • BobL242BobL242 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2011 M37X. I was driving down the highway at about 70MPH. I approached a car driving slower so I decided to pass him. My car was in the standard mode, I punched the gas pedal to pass and my car's engine started to race, the rpm's jumped up to 6000 but the car would not go any faster. I got alittle scared so I let off the gas pedal. Curious I tried it again the next day, only this time in the sport mode, pretty much the same thing happened. Seems to drive alright under normal conditions. Has anyone else have this happen to them? Is this normal? Think it could be a transmission problem? I have my first scheduled oil change in September. Trying to decide if I should take it in now to have them check it out or wait until Sept. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • cbasilierecbasiliere Member Posts: 2
    I'm suddenly having strange electrical problems with my 2007 M35 sport. About 2 weeks ago while driving, my Sirius radio stopped working. The AM/FM continued to work but the Satellite says "Acquiring Signal". Then I notices that the Automatic up on my windows did not work. They go down with one touch, but I have to hold the switch to raise the window. Then I noticed that the sunroof was acting up. To open the sunroof, I have to hit the switch over and over and each time it opens about one more inch.
    I thought I may have a battery issue so I replaced the battery but did not solve any of the problems. I contacted Sirius and they tried a number of sequences to restart the radio with no success.
    Any Ideas??
    :confuse:
  • thebinkthebink Member Posts: 10
    M35 has a chain, so not worries about the belt.
    Unfortunately, the only suggestion I can think of is to take your checkbook to your infiniti dealer.
  • goalie_35goalie_35 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 M-35 Sport and my sensors ALWAYS reset...
  • goalie_35goalie_35 Member Posts: 2
    Correct!!! I use reg 90% of the time with only slightly less mileage and performance issue. Great car but like all luxury cars bought used, there is a reason people get rid of them. Also the cost of maintenance and repair is for a $50,000.00 car today...
    I replace my in cabin filters, oil filters and air filters all in about an hour.. Check out what a dealer wants for all that!!!! Major factory scheduled service is needed to avoid warranty issues on all cars. But budget for them and all is fine... Look at what $25,000.00 buys you new compared to this car and it is a no brainer...
    as far as I know, you do not have to do all the maintenance recommended by the dealer to protect your warranty. You should, however, do any replacement of fluids or parts recommended for driving under normal driving conditions. I haven't looked at my warranty book, but usually cars have a "stop/start driving/hot dirty conditions" schedule.....and that is what every dealer uses because it's more service earlier....but that is not required for warranty protection..

What no one needs is all the inspections that are packed into those "15000" or "30000" mile services. Those services are just high profit to the dealer. Look at the recommendations for normal mileage/use in your service manual...and tell the dealer to do specific tasks that are recommended and involve changing/rotating/balancing or specifically adjusting something. Skip all the "check" items.....they don't "check" them anyway, they just charge you for the time.

I have my oil/filter changed every 3500 miles, I rebalance and rotate every 7500 miles. No, I don't change the cabin filter...never noticed a difference, but it's so easy to do yourself. They check the brakes whenever the wheels are off the car and all the fluids during an oil change. Of course the last two M's were 2 year leases....there are probably some more required items at 30 or 36K miles....but I've never paid for a "7500" mile or "15000" mile service.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    Wow, a long story short. I had a M45 which was burning oil and had a drive line whine @ 46k. The noise occurred at 40 and 80 mph Growing up working on cars, it definitely sounded like a ring and pinion noise. The 1st dealer was useless. The second put in a new long block and replaced the differential. After the the rear end replacement, The noise changed to more of a moan or wurr but never the less, it is still there. The dealer has since replaced the differential again and proclaimed it cured. I drove it, it isn't. Any ideas or does anybody know a great diagnostician in the LA area? Thanks
    BMW
  • irl1irl1 Member Posts: 1
    My M35 (2006/107,000 miles) was stalling in idle. Dealer today replaced the Air flow sensor, $60 labor/$335 for part. Spark plugs $70 labor and $185 labor. Plus $150 for diagnostics. Does that sound high?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My book says $300 for the part + tax, plus 4/10th of an hour labor.

Labor on spark plugs is 1.4 hours.

So it sounds like they have about a $120/hr labor rate. That's about right for a dealership.

My only complaint about your bill is that they really should have discounted the diagnostic, since you had them do the work. They charged you full rate, no mercy.

Can't say it wasn't "honest" but it certainly wasn't generous.
    one and 1/2 hours to replace six sparkplugs!!!!! Do they have to remove the engine??
  • hilleyhilley Member Posts: 10
    I posted this message sometime ago, but no one has ever advised me of a possible solution. My 2003 M45 is in great condition with only 75,000 miles, but the instrument panel only works when the temperature is over 80F outside ambient. It was 70F, but the temperature has increased recently. When it works, it works very well. Discussing this with several dealers, including Infinity and Nissan has proven useless. They simply wanted to replace everything at a great expense. I think it is a minor glitch, but have been unable to solve the problem. I believe the problem is power, since the DVD for the NAV system is dead when the problem occurs. Any suggestions?
  • keondrem45keondrem45 Member Posts: 1
    My aunt has a 03 Infiniti m45 and her instrument cluster works when it wants to. Also her gas gauge had went out and when it said 1/4 of a tank left it was empty. She took it to the dealer and we looked it up and it happens to be a problem in all 03-04 models but infiniti does not pay for it.
    I've been driving a 2011 M37 since June. Two or three times I've put my foot down on the gas (not all the way, but most of the way) to pass cars, only to have the car feel like it's going into neutral and then after a delay of a second or two, it catches and accelerates. This seems like it's being done by design....and it seems like a design flaw in the shifting computer which could be dangerous when trying to get out of harms way.

Am I alone in seeing this? I'm about to go to my dealer, infiniti and then, if nothing changes, perhaps the NTSB.
    If anyone wants to recreate the shifting issue, try to accelerate in "standard" transmission mode from a steady 40mph.
  • art63art63 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me how to replace the in cabin filter. Dealership is charging too much to have this done. Thanks
    It's a very easy job...you just have to remove the glove box. The exact procedure depends on the model year of the car....but it's at most 20 minutes start to finish if you've never done it before.

The filter is directly behind the glove box in all the M's.
  • osbornkgosbornkg Member Posts: 30
    Heres a web site that might help:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/m/projects/2006-2010_infiniti_m_ac_incabin_filte- rs_removal_procedure.htm

Just take your time if this is your first time.
  • jk05mdxjk05mdx Member Posts: 16
    I recently acquired a 2006 M35X which came with the stock tires. As the stock tires are worn I definitely need to change them. But here is my dilemma: The ground clearance of the M is too low for the kind of roads I drive on so I need to increase the ground clearance if I am to enjoy the car.

My question is: will it be okay if I installed P245/60R18 which will raise the height a little bit. Will this spec of tires dramatically alter the driving dynamics in terms of safety?

Thanks as you respond. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
    What size is on there now?
    P245/45R18
    edited October 2010
    Okay, you have 245/45R and you want to put on 245/60R.....(calculating...please wait.....calculating....please wait....)

Nope, wayyyyyy too big. Best you could do would be, in theory, a 245/50, if they make such a size, I don't know. That'll give you 1 inch greater diameter.

If you go to a 60R, you increase diamater by 3 inches, probably causes interference issues with fender and suspension, and also an 11% speedometer error, which might drive your car's computers crazy.

A 275/45 would also give you an inch with a 4% speedo error, meaning when you are reading 60 mph, you are actually going 62.4.

Most experts recommend about 3% increase or decrease.
  • donjose77donjose77 Member Posts: 1
    i just replaced these with my friend who owns his own automotive shop. It only cost me $50 for parts and labor. The dealer will rip you off.
    Thanks for your response and suggestion. I have checked the size: 245/50 does exist. However, I wish you could please help me run your calculations again and see how close or far 245/55 will be in terms of safety and alteration of the driving dynamic of the car.

Thanks a lot.
    I did check 55s, and they are too big...almost 2 inches larger in diameter with over 7% speedo error. I suppose if you could live with the speedo error (when it says 60 you are doing 64+ mph) and your ABS and transmission don't get confused, then you could mount the tires at the tire shop and see if they hit anything. I'm thinking they'll rub, esepcially on hard turns or bumps. But I can't say for sure.
    Thanks a lot. I shall take all your suggestions into consideration and hopefully I will get it right. In as much I wish to increase the ground clearance, I also do not want to compromise the safety of the car!

Once again, many thanks!
    edited October 2010
    It's not easy to substantially increase a car's ground clearance without a) spending a good deal of money and b) compromising the car's handling and safety.

I'd invest in heavy duty skid plates before I'd mess too much with lifting the vehicle. If you can't clear it, then you can slither over it. (within reason, of course).
    Suggestion noted.

Thanks a lot.
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    Infiniti has replaced my engine in my 06 M45, 45k because of oil consumption. They also replace all of the fuel sensors and the pump because of total inaccuracy. They have replaced the rear end twice because of what originally sounded like a ring and pinion mainly at 40 and 80 mph. Now it sounds like a hum or wurr at those speeds. Still trying. On top of it all, after I got a new engine, the car became quirky especially on city streets, following all of the messed up asphalt. This is especially noticeable while braking at stoplights.By the way, I do have Pilot sports. I am getting ready to take it back to the dealer for the wurr, any thoughts on the crappy steering? Obviously the wurr is not coming from the rear end. Thanks
    BMW540
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    I had a 2006 M35X. Infiniti replaced the steering rack under warranty in 2007. They were defective. Are your tires in good condition? Make sure air pressure is correct. M35X has horrible steering even if it is perfect. I lease Audi A4 now.