Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus GS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    I agree that the AC is more than adequate. The seat cooling, however, leaves a bit to be desired. It's helpful, but it's not all that powerful. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7.
  • Options
    ghraiaghraia Member Posts: 11
    I am thinking about a GS. I see a lot of posts here about rattles and squeaks, and also vibration and tire noise. Is there anyone on the forum without these problems?
  • Options
    donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    no rattles, no squeaks and no vibration.

Car has about 6500 miles on it.

The original model problems on rattles and squeaks had to do with the windshield whose design was changed late last year.

Vibrations are inherent in the high performance soft tires as they wear (at about 10K miles).

Good luck,
  • Options
    neelpneelp Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 2006 GS430 in July and I've had an annoying rattling problem that comes from the drives side of the car. Its an intermittant noise so I had no luck first 2 times I took it to Lexus. Finally, I told the dealership take care find it and fix it....they have a representative from Lexus coming in this weekend to look at it. I have also had squeaking noise from the bushings which they are also addressing. The car is great overall....but I am very annoyed with all the issues going on.
    Has anyone else had a rattling noise from the Drivers side...If so, has it been resolved....Please help
  • Options
    harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    I am on my second GS300. First one a 1998. Current one a 2002 with 65,000 miles. Both have been perfect. No shakes, rattles or rolls.
  • Options
    >The original model problems on rattles and squeaks had to do with the windshield

That was just one of the problems. There were also problems with the ML speakers, seat rails, molding in the rear window, and glove box. All of these resulted in TSB's from Lexus.

Others, myself included, have had many other rattles and squeaks as well that haven't been as easy to eliminate.

>Vibrations are inherent in the high performance soft tires as they wear (at about 10K miles)

If you're talking about the run-flat Dunlops, those aren't soft - they're hard. That's why they transmit more force into the car, which results in more rattles. At around 10K miles, due to the noise from the Dunlops, I got a set of Pilot Sport A/S and have been very happy with them.
  • Options
    tomciutomciu Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have a problem with my GS 3000 year 2000. every time it gets cold or when i break the light comes on "BRAKE". its getting on my nerves. its the same light that comes on when u hit the hand brake- which in the lexus u hit with ur foot. What is the problem?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Add some brake fluid so fluid "contraction" in the cool/cold doesn't lower it below minimum.

Hmmm...

MY2000, 6 years...

Or in the alternative install new brake pads which would undoubtedly "push" some of the fluid back into the reservoir.
  • Options
    My first 1998 GS 300 (88,000 Mi) and my second 2002 GS 300 67,000 Mi have no squeaks or rattles.
  • Options
    I guess they fired the guy that built yours before they built my 2006 GS300.
  • Options
    ctgs300ctgs300 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 GS 300 AWD and my car has been at the dealer for 33 days due to an oil or transmission leak. The dealer replaced the transmission (5,000 miles on vehicle)but won't replace the vehicle and the car has run the same since I drove it off the lot.

Have you had any luck in getting a new vehicle aka lemon law?

Thanks
  • Options
    funguy12funguy12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 GS 300 and it is 16 months old. I moved to CA this July and found that about once a week or so I get into the car (parked in my garage) and as I enter the car, I get the strong smell of windhield washer fluid, or something similar to anti-freeze. The car was in the dealers recently and they couldn't find anything...of sourse, it only happens once in a while! Anyone else have any similar experiences?
  • Options
    carfreak123carfreak123 Member Posts: 20
    I compromised the head gasket on my 96 GS300 (120K miles) as the radiator lost it's water and I drove the car for approx 20 miles dry (ughhhh.) Neither the temp gauge or idiot light gave any indication of the condition as the sensor was not immersed in coolant.

I replaced the rad and then check for hydrocarbons in the rad after running the engine. The rad shows 100ppm hydrocarbons indicating a head gasket leak. Othe than the engine, the car is in very nice condition.

Anyone have thoughts on what I might do with the car?
  • Options
    foxiemoxiefoxiemoxie Member Posts: 4
    Donate the car to a High School that has a car auto mechanic
    shop.
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    If the car runs fine and no white smoke comes out from the tail pipe, I just drive it until it gives up.
  • Options
    alexis01alexis01 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me. I dont know what is going on with my car but its making some rattling noise when its at a stand still. Please get back to me. Thank You.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    If you have oil (hydrocarbons) in the coolant, then you also have coolant in the crankcase. Glycol is extremely corrosive to crankshaft main and connecting rod bearing metals. GET THE ENGINE FIXED BEFORE YOU SPIN A MAIN BEARING AND PERMANENTLY TRASH THE ENGINE BLOCK. You're only looking at seventeen to eighteen hundred bucks now for a replacement head gasket or gaskets and labor vs. ten grand+ later. Do the math - the car is definitely worth more than salvage title.
  • Options
    calvmcalvm Member Posts: 1
    Sounded like everyone here had bad experience with GS one way or the other. Here is mine:
    '99 GS300 bought at 100K with no warranty. Asked the dealer to print service history: waterpump & timing belt replaced, previous owner complained about surge at pedal...
    1. Changed battery myself, had starter replaced for the same problem of multiple cranks $350;
    2. Did a all-wheel alignment, $85
    3. Replaced all four tires with Yoko, $250
    4. Bought cheap 5-30 and filters from Walmart for DIY oil changes (10 min each time, 5K per change);
    5. Flushed coolant and changed airfilter...
    That's all I can think of. Car idles smoothly and I brought it up to 145k in two years. Everything works just fine.
    Actually I have so much to [non-permissible content removed] about my ML320 but this is not the place.
    Wished I had more to complain... :blush:
  • Options
    I am on my 2nd GS300. First a 1998 with 87K when T-boned by an unlicensed, uninsured drover in a Ford F-250, running a red light. It would still be in the family today (hand me down), an excellent vehicle. My second 02 GS300 has been perfect, currently 67K, second set of tires, Michelins at 55K. Use only Castrol Syntec 5W40 changed at 6K. Hope I don't get T-boned. I did pick up an 04 and will sell the 02 because the kids can't afford it and I'm not giving it away. All maintence pulled. New brakes all around, transmission flush etc at 65K.
    Drive on .........
  • Options
    cypresslexuscypresslexus Member Posts: 2
    Anyone find the paint on 06 GS300 to be of poor quality? Mine is rough to the touch..unlike any of my other cars...Silver. My Infiniti G35 coupe...2004..feels like silk and the Lexus feels like sandpaper. I have a 2002 Taurus which feels smoother than the Lexus.
  • Options
    Have you tried using a claybar to clean it off? That would tell you if it is the paint, or something on the surface.
  • Options
    ousujahousujah Member Posts: 4
    My 98 GS400 quite often fails to start in the morning at my first attempt. However, when I put it in reverse and let the car roll for a few seconds, then return it to park, it starts with no problem. I have taken it in to the dealership twice before but they've reported that there is no problem. Has anyone experienced something similar? Could this be happening because I don't as a rule starighten my wheels when I park?
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    How many miles on the car? Is the battery strong enough to crank the engine? Did you try starting with the gas pedal half pressed?
  • Options
    The car has 55,000 miles, and the battery is about a year old. I don't think I've tried starting with the gas pedal half pressed. I'm really puzzled about this problem. It happened again today, by the way. Each time, putting the car in reverse and then starting again resolves the problem.
  • Options
    Does the engine crank normally and just not catch? Or does it not crank until you shift to R and back?
  • Options
    It does not crank at all. Nothing. Then I put it in reverse, let it roll for 3 seconds, put it back in park, turn the key again and it starts at the first attempt. All the times this has happened, it's usually in the morning when I'm about to leave for work. Has not happened at any other time. Which it would if it was simply because I never straighten my steering wheel.
  • Options
    Sounds like your shift interlock is finicky. That's the mechanism inside the shifter that prevents people from cranking the engine in any gear other than Park. Yours could be sticking, and when you shift to Reverse, then back to Park, it gets "unstuck". Did you or anyone ever spill any liquids around the shifter area? If so, you may need to take the center console off and clean any sticky residue inside.

If this is not due to a spill, then a trip to the dealer is probably needed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, samiam. I'll take it to the dealer and ask them to check the shift interlock. That could well be the problem, and I definitely wouldn't discount the possibility of something having been spilled around the shifter area. Again thanks.
  • Options
    espoffespoff Member Posts: 2
    Last night while stopped at a red light, the stereo even though switched off, started popping softly every 4-5 seconds, turning the stereo on didn't help the situation. Then randomly burst out a very loud buzz and popping sort of electronic babble, then stopped and went back to silent.

Then it happened again this morning. My wife won't drive the car anymore, it's too loud - painful enough to hurt your ears.

Anyone have this happen before? This is the first problem we've had with the car, we're stunned.
  • Options
    Is your main battery strong? It sounds like a short circuit somewhere, that is bad connection somewhere.
  • Options
    espoffespoff Member Posts: 2
    The battery is ok.

Turns out we had to pull the fuse because the flucuating volume was a serious distraction to driving. Nothing like a violently loud popping sound randomly coming from your stereo - it was like a 6 year old having total control over the volume and spinning to max volume every few seconds.

More research on the 'net shows this to be a fairly common problem with the Mark Levinson amp in the GS. This link has the Lexus service bulletin and the subsidized Lexus replacement program. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21700&hl=amplifier

The amp costs $2000 new and 'only' $700 under the replacement program. I'm calling Tweeter to see if they can install something for a bit less!
  • Options
    forteatwoforteatwo Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 GS300 one year ago. So far it has been a very good replacement for my troublesome MB E320. However, the battery has gone dead 6 times since I have owned it. I took it to the local Toyota dealer (No local Lex dealer)for analysis and they said everything was OK, including the battery. There was no unusual drawdown going on with the electronics. They indicated to me that there is a TSB that states the battery may need to be recharged after a "period of inactivity", no specified time interval, due to various active components. The technician said this is normal for this type of car with lots active electronics and he suggested either keeping a trickle charge on it or run it more often to charge the battery. Can anyone tell me if they think this is normal? I just cannot believe a battery should go dead after 7 days if I do not drive the car. Any thoughts on whether some type of beefed up battery might be a suitable replacement? Does anyone have access to TSBs? I would be curious as to what the specifics are. My car is still under warranty so I would like to get things fixed before the warranty expires. Thanks for your help. Forteatwo
  • Options
    Did you try getting a new battery with higher CCA rating? If the battery is original, then it's probably over three years old, and OEM batteries are not the greatest. On my 2000 GS400, I wound up replacing the battery after less than 4 years.
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    I think the Toyota dealer pulled your chain. The battery shouldn't go dead after 7 days w/out driving the car.
    There is a current leak somewhere. Or it just could be a trunk light on all the time. Electrical problem is a tough one to debug.

You said there is no local Lexus around. So my guess is you didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer. Did you check the history of the car for any electrical modifications or
    flood salvage, etc?

Here's what I would do. Buy a new battery with the same CCA rating as the old one. Drive the car to fully charge
    it. Leave the car for 7 days. If the battery goes dead,
    this will confirm a current leakage. If the battery is still OK, it's the old battery issue.
  • Options
    johnp_daytonjohnp_dayton Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2004 GS430 certified. Found an unacceptable wind noise on passenger side, seemed to be around mirror or door. The noise would appear around 40mph and higher.

Went to Lexus Dayton OH and they had an expert service tech who found that there was a "body plug" missing on the right side. He has seen it a very few times on GS430 models. It solved it perfectly in less than a half hour.

It really makes a difference when you get a person with experience. I would guess the original owner just thought it was normal for a sport vehicle.
  • Options
    forteatwoforteatwo Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your suggestions. I purchased the car from Wayzata Lexus in Minnesota. They have indicated that everything on the car is under warranty through '08. The history of the car is clean. Given that nobody volunteered that they have a problem keeping their car battery charged, I can only assume the battery has gone dead enough that it no longer fully charges. While it may check out OK under conditions of testing, I am of the impression that it does not hold a charge very long, this can be hard to test out. I guess I will proceed to get another battery. Forteatwo
  • Options
    traylortraylor Member Posts: 8
    I am not totally familiar with the seat layout on your vehicle, but let me relate what happened to my mother-in-law's ES.

The driver 1 and driver 2 seat automatic seat adjustment buttons are locted on the top of the plastic seat molding on the drivers left side. She's older so occasionaly when she got out of the vehicle, she'd place her left palm on the seat and push herself up, jamming either the driver 1 or driver 2 button into an engaged position. Eventually, the constant "signal" drained the battery.

The Lexus boys finally figured this out by pulling the fuses one at a time --three hours of labor, but that was it.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Lexus GS Tires and Wheels

Several posts were moved there. Please join us. :)
  • Options
    boschgjboschgj Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me some directions on replacing the high rear stop light bulb on my RX 300 or is this a dealer service only repair. Thank you Gord
  • Options
    amri1amri1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I’ve bought a 2007 GS430 three months ago, and I have the same annoying rattling problem coming from the driver’s side, I’ve took it to the dealer twice with no luck….I just read this message….So, have they resolved the problem???? Please help, I begin thinking to put it up for sale!!!!
  • Options
    bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    I have a 2007 GS450h with incessent squeaks and rattles. They mostly eminate from the dash board and around the nav screen and seem to be temperature dependent. I've had the car back to the dealer 3 times (most recently back in December), and the problems seemed to have been addressed.
    Maybe just coincidentally, but yesterday was a warmer than normal day in the NY area and a vicious squeak started to sound again.
    I also get clicking sounds coming from around the sunroof area. I think it's the loose plastic molding pieces.

I am not impressed with fit & finish with my car, particularly given Lexus reputation in this area.
  • Options
    About six weeks ago I was pulling into a gas station and my power steering died. The dealer replaced the steering rack (after having to wait a week for the parts), and everything was good.

This past Saturday, the power steering died again. After I had dinner and started the car, the power steering worked again, although I doubt the sushi had anything to do with it.

This time, the dealer said that the software that runs the steering computer has been redesigned, and I needed a new computer. He said that there was a recall for the steering rack ealier, but my car did not fall within the recall so they never said anything to me. I guess they missed the mark on that one.

I'm currently waiting for the new computer to arrive; it should be here in a few days.

Just posting this as a heads-up; folks might want to do some research to see if their cars need these recall items taken care of.
  • Options
    What are the years (or) serial number range that qualify for the factory upgrade?
    THX...
  • Options
    Upgrade? Well, if you call swapping something that doesn't work for something that does an upgrade.... ;)

I don't know what the range is; I'd either Google or go to the Toyota tech site ($10 gets you a one day membership).
  • Options
    ara3ara3 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 GS 300awd.Great car, but rattles, squeaks, noises, all temperature sensitive.Dealer has been very attentive and frequently stops noises temporarily.They've had the car at times as many as 10 days.After two years of service, there still are noises now coming from the rear view mirror area.Struts replaced three times and now insulated.Dash has a newly designed plastic cowl installed.Nav system insulated from radio.New rear mirror and overhead console to stop squeaking.Got the car back last week: quiet for 7 days.Now squeaking around the mirror again.Hard to believe that this Benz convert has to deal with this.Shame on Lexus, but kudos to the dealer and technicians who are steadfast in their work.Thinking about taking a stethoscope to the car and diagnosing the source of the noise myself.
  • Options
    I have the same car, and pretty much the same experience. Out of frustration I stuck a sock between the dash and windshield on the right hand side, and 90% of my dash noise went away. I've been driving this way for 5K miles or so, and some of the squeaks have come back, but many have not. Whenever I bring it in for service I tell them to not touch the sock.

I just dropped mine off for service today - the power steering died again for the third time. They're sending a field tech out to look at it.

I've since looked up the recall info on Toyota's tech site - details below. Even though my car does not fall within the VIN range of the recall, I've had the failure three times so far.

---------------------
    On certain 2006 model year Lexus GS 300 (both 2WD and AWD) and GS 430 vehicles, customers may experience
    a noticeable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel in the complete left or right position. This condition may be most perceptible when parking the vehicle.

Model year: 2006
    VDS: BH96S, VIN range 5002385 – 5005184
    VDS: BN96S, VIN range 5001092 – 5002302
    VDS: CH96S, VIN range 0001906 – 0003062

Q1: What is the condition?
    A1: On certain 2006 model year Lexus GS 300 (both 2WD and AWD) and GS 430 vehicles, customers may
    experience a noticeable, gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering
    wheel to the complete left or right position. This condition may be most perceptible when parking the vehicle.

Q2: What is the cause of this condition?
    A2: This condition is caused by an insufficient adhesion between the permanent magnets and the rotor of the Electric Power
    Steering (EPS), causing the motor to gradually lose torque when the wheel is turned to the complete left or right
    position.

Q3: Are there any warnings that this condition exists?
    A3: Yes, the steering effort will gradually increase and an abnormal noise may be heard if the wheel is turned to the
    complete left or right position.

Q4: Which and how many vehicles are involved?
    A4: There are approximately 3,200 2006 model year vehicles involved in the U.S.
    • GS 300 (2WD) 1,500 vehicles
    • GS 300 (AWD) 1,000 vehicles
    • GS 430 700 vehicles

Q5: What is the production period of the affected vehicles?
    A5: The affected Lexus GS vehicles were produced from February, 2005 to March, 2005.

Q6: Are there any other Toyota or Lexus vehicles involved?
    A6: No, this condition only affects certain 2006 GS vehicles.

Q7: How many incidents of this condition have been reported?
    A7: There have been no cases of this condition reported in the U.S. market.

Q8: Have there been any accidents reported?
    A8: There have been no accidents reported which are possibly related to this condition in the U.S. market.

Q9: Have there been any reports of deaths or injuries?
    A9: There have been no deaths or injuries reported related to this condition in the U.S. market.

Q10: What is Lexus going to do?
    A10: Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a Special Service Campaign notification by first class mail beginning in
    early August 2006. Lexus dealers will replace the Electric Power Steering (EPS) Assembly with an improved one at
    NO CHARGE to the customer.

Q11: How long will the repair take?
    A11: Depending on the model, the repair may take up to approximately five hours. However, depending upon the dealer’s
    work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

Q12: What should an owner do if they experience the condition?
    A12: Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair.
  • Options
    Ah yes, American ingenuity. And you always have a spare pair of socks handy. Extra pair of underwear might be handy and do the job as well. These spacious SUV's have nothing on us.

Sock it to em' !
  • Options
    kalakala Member Posts: 9
    The other day as I was backing up my power steering died too. No warning at all, the steering wheel just started to vibrate left to right and then died.
    First time anything like this ever happen to me.
    I'm just glad it didn't happen while going down the interstate!
  • Options
    memreomemreo Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2006 Lexus GS 300. I have had many of the same problems as others regarding tires (replaced four at 15,000 miles) and rattles in the dash (most started after the warranty ran out).

My local dealer is the only place this car has ever been serviced. All oil changes are completed every 3000 miles by the dealer. My car currently has 59,000 miles on it and at the last oil change (57,000 miles) I got a low oil warning light and message on the dash. I added two quarts of oil and took the car straight to the dealer. I was told that if this happened again, not to add the oil, just bring the car to them. This past Friday after only 2000 miles, I got the same warning light and message on the dash. The car has been at the dealer for two full business days and the best they can come up with is that high compression engines use up to one quart of oil per 1,000 miles. For some reason, I find this hard to believe. The only other car I have owned that had this kind of problem was a 96 Sedan DeVille with the Northstar engine. Anyone have any thoughts??

At the last service, dealer replaced fouled plugs---which makes me think this is an internal engine problem.
  • Options
    High compression engine oil consumption is B.S. Must have a cracked ring or something internal. Service dept should be able to find ...... warranty ??